Fall TV Preview

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Luke Mitchell Upped to Series Regular for Season 3

Agents SHIELD Luke Mitchell Regular

Having brought a certain… electricity… to the proceedings on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Luke Mitchell has been promoted to series regular for Season 3, TVLine has learned.

The Aussie actor — who previously wielded mad skillz as one of The CW’s The Tomorrow People — made his S.H.I.E.L.D. debut this April as Lincoln, one of Skye’s first Inhuman allies at the Afterlife compound.

In the ABC drama’s sophomore finale, Lincoln juggled allegiances when Afterlife leader Jiaying launched an attack on the S.H.I.E.L.D. carrier, but he last we seen helping Skye and May ward off a “ginger army” (i.e. a replicating Inhuman).

Are you glad to see Mitchell log more time as Lincoln?

1. xomareen says:

This makes me happy. I really like Lincoln, the more powered people the merrier.

2. Dani says:

It’s not Luke’s fault, but wow at the AOS writers. You kill of 3 WOC in the finale then add another white guy to the regulars… which is already bloated enough.

• Not to mention… Henry Simmons was in every single episode last season but he’s still a guest star? okay.

• Please stop. The writers didn’t kill them off because they were WOC, they were killed off because they were villains. Don’t try to make it seem sinister that the characters died; celebrate that WOC were hired in the first place.

Also, they still have Skye and May (or do they not count anymore?)

• Anna says:

Seriously. Should they not kill the bad guys because they are WOC? That’s just stupid. It is possible to be too politically correct…

• danyelle says:

I am a WOC, and you are my new [non super] hero! I have to wonder if the OP is on a genuine diversity cause or a scorned shipper.

• They killed 3 WOC in the finale. They also killed of Gonzales and Bakshi. That’s five dead POC in 2.19, 2.20 and the finale. Verses the one white dude, Gordon. That’s not counting Trip in 2.10.

They gave Cal, the comic super villain, redemption by blaming his actions on his WOC wife who he then killed.

But yes, I’m just a scorned shipper.

• Gaia says:

I have to assume you’re just trolling. Someone can’t possibly be that myopic, right?

• Bob says:

Funny how you’re purposefully pretending that Skye and May don’t exist, nor are you mentioning Agent Weaver, who is (and will continue to be) a recurring character.

• Vigiles says:

There are an awful lot of white villains getting killed off too. (Ward’s brother, The Hydra bigwigs, Whitehall. Numerous villain of the week enhanced). Don’t get attached to villains.

• The writers deliberately casted three WOC and killed them off.

• Gaia says:

Yep, it was their secret plan all along to specifically cast WOC just so they could kill them!! Muahahaha! Get real.

• Wordsmith says:

Let’s focus on the first half of that statement: they cast three WOC. At least in terms of the female cast, minorities vastly outnumber whites. Yes, the guys are a bit less diverse, but there are plenty there too. Lots of minorities alive means lots of minorities to potentially kill off.
          Also, if you have minorities in your cast and then feel obligated to keep them alive, isn’t that just another form of discrimination? Let the story dictate who lives and who dies, not the invisible racial quotas.

• Bob says:

You can’t possibly be this stupid.

• anon says:

I find they seldom do to many of the complainers. I replied to someone about a new series which they said was too white and 5/8 of the cast were POC. They just weren’t all African American. I think if there are Asian actors, Hispanic actors, Middle eastern actors and black actors – that’s a diverse cast. Diversity doesn’t just mean black.

My kids would love to see themselves on the screen too, even in a guest role, but they seldom do. But then they’re only native Americans. Can’t tell you how disappointed they are when black or hispanic actors even get parts that are designated native.

Stop jumping on every show and just enjoy it. If you don’t like it, don’t watch.

• Blue Note says:

ANOTHER white guy? Sort of racist comment.

• What’s a WOC? #iusedtobewithitbutthentheychangedwhatitwas.itllhappentoyou

• Hilltopper says:

Lincoln is not white. He’s not even human. Very diverse.

• katesutton90 says:

This^^^^right here is amazing! Made me laugh. Yeah the inhumand need some love and their own race!;p

• KKK says:

That’s racist!

3. Michelle says:

Luke Mitchell on my TV is never a bad thing!

4. Zorkel says:

I’m perfectly okay with this. I was wondering what they would do, and having a powered ally for Skye will be nice. Plus, with Ward seemingly going full bad guy, this means Lincoln can continue as Skye’s love interest.

• I’ve yet to see anyone find Lincoln interesting because he’s //Lincoln//, it’s all about him being a love interest

• Dmac says:

Well here you go, you are in the midst of one now. I think he handsome and I like his character, but I could care less about the romance.

• Zorkel says:

I actually don’t really care about shipping either, but I really don’t like the idea of Ward/Skye, so this helps that not happen. PLus, I think there is a lot they could explore with Lincoln.

• Blue Note says:

Yup. Thinking the same thing. I like him better with Sky.

5. Remember when AOS was about not having to be super to be a super hero?

• Tom says:

Yeah but this adds a whole new dynamic to that. What it means to be super and how you use that power to help others. While Skye’s story arc could’ve been sufficient, I think it’s a good call to show someone who’s had his powers for a long time and is just now learning how to use them for good. This is more you don’t have to be a “hero” to be a superhero.

• Wordsmith says:

If you think about it, it’s actually easier to explore the “You don’t have to be super to be a hero” theme if you have superheroes around to contrast with the mundane ones. Up to this point, they’ve mostly sort of lurked around the edges or existed off screen/ in the movies.
      Just because a show is about one thing doesn’t mean you must (or should) exclude something else.

• canadian ninja says:

this person is just firing off trolls at this point, please don’t feed the trolls

• Robert Dassler says:

Yeah and everybody complained about the lack of superpowers. Give me a break.

• Jeff says:

and do you remember how the ratings kept sinking and people complained about there not being any powered people even though it was a Marvel show?

• Bob says:

Yeah, and remember when that was the case and the show received mediocre to poor reviews, while now people love it? Good times.

6. Sa says:

Sweet lord. Another regular? If this show knew how to balance story lines and screen time for all their regulars I’d be okay with this. And on top of that Lincoln was the most boring addition to the cast.

7. Tom says:

Happy about this but would’ve loved Henry Simmons to be upped as well.

8. Dmac says:

This show just keeps getting better and better. He is a great addition to the cast.

9. Blue Note says:

Glad Luke has a reg. gig now. He was excellent on Tomorrow’s People.

10. Kelly Deeny says:

I’m thrilled with this news, but if it didn’t happen, I was rooting for a Linc/Deathloc spinoff.

11. GhostWolf says:

Good to see Mitchell become a regular on the show. Liked him on TTP but stopped watching it since the focus was on the wrong main character.

12. Ed says:

Absolutely! He was my favorite on “Tomorrow People” and I am happy that he found a series to be on so promptly. That makes three from the TP on shows. One on SHEILD and two on ARROW.

13. shakstacia says:

He is a worthless addition. Wished he’d been killed off this last season, better yet wished the annoying guy had never been introduced.

14. B says:

Mack actually called Alisa a “ginger ninja”, but “ginger army” would have sounded better.

15. Mike Carlock says:

“Ward” off? Urggh!

16. B says:

I meant Alisha.

17. Teresa says:

He was great in the Tomorrow People an👍👍👍👍 he is a regular 👍👍

18. Joey Padron says:

happy Luke is a series regular on the show now! can’t wait for more Lincoln storylines in season 3!

19. A says:

I like Luke/Lincoln, but what about Mack? Unless Henry Simmons doesn’t want to commit to a contract, there’s no excuse for him not to be a regular.

20. Charissa29 says:

Good! He was by far the best thing on that turgid mess, The Tomorrow People! He deserves a show!

21. Debra says:

I don’t mind him being made a series regular but only if they give him an actual storyline and not just there as Skye’s love interest. I’m sorry but I found Skye/Lincoln as boring as watching paint dry and think that Luke Mitchell deserves better than a part where he is the love interest and nothing more.

• Interesting how rarely this is said about actresses who are brought on as love interests.

• Debra says:

I agree with you. Nobody, male or female, deserves to be brought on just to be the love interest. While I do like a good love story, there has to be other parts of the characters story to hold my interest.

• jerrired says:

I’m starting to believe the Thomas Ward theories, plus they mentioned a new segment of Shield with powered people. So I think Lincoln will hopefully be Skye’s love interest too, but I think he’ll mainly be a regular to add to the new powered shield team. And if the Thomas Ward (crazy as it seems) theories are true I can see the writers playing that angle. So they’ll be a lot for Luke. I don’t see Agents of Shield being the kind of show just to add a character to be a love interest, even Agent 33 had more storyline than just Ward’s new girlfriend.

• JC1 says:

I hadn’t heard of this theory before. I hope it’s not true. I’d rather Lincoln not have any connection to Ward whatsoever.

• jerrired says:

i think it could be interesting. I like Ward as a villain you love to hate, so I don’t want them doing anything to try to redeem him but in terms of twists, it could be a good one. But highly unlikely

• Dee says:

Yes, Debra! I completely agree. No chemistry there.

22. Lilly77 says:

I think Luke Mitchell is great. However, I don’t think that Lincoln is. If they are going to have him as season regular then they better give Lincoln a bit more animation. I thought he was such a bland thing next to all the strong personalities of Shield – though perhaps I was the only one who thought that….

23. Rick Katze says:

I was hoping to see comments on the new addition. Instead the Politically Correct crowd has barraged this discussion. I watch a show because I find it interesting, not because it is affirmatively balanced. And did anybody stop and think that maybe some of the actors were killed because they were changing their careers and needed to be written out, or were hired for a story cycle which got resolved and were no longer needed. That said, I would not complain if Jailing were somehow to revive. Might make for an interesting story.

24. Robin says:

Loved his character – it seemed like he will have an interesting back story! And having someone on the team with the ability to control electricity will be useful for Coulson. (And that Luke Mitchell is a very handsome man doesn’t hurt one bit!)

25. Maryann says:

Fantastic news! Those powers are going to make for some very interesting story lines, and Mitchell is one of my favorite young actors.

26. Juan says:

I really like him and I like his character so this is great news. With this and the news of Eric Close no longer a series regular on Naahvilles ABC shows have made good decisions

27. as says:

Awesome, glad they added him!!!

28. Bella says:

Fantastic news. Will love seeing LM back on the screen full-time

29. Yey!! I love him in Tomorrow. and i hope he’ll end up with sky

30. Dee says:

Ugh. The actor is fine and all but I don’t find his character all that interesting. The cast is already so big.

31. JC1 says:

Good. I like the actor but they really didn’t get to do much with his character this season, so maybe he’ll get more development next season. I’m guessing he’ll be part of Skye’s team of people with powers. I wonder who else will be on that team? Deathlok maybe?
    About Henry Simmons – wow. For some reason I could have sworn that I read that he had already been made a regular during this last season. But when I did a search for it nothing came up, so I guess not. But yes, he definitely needs to be made a regular as well. Mack’s been a great addition to the cast.

32. Ms Thing says:

Love this news! Luke Mitchell is a great addition to the cast.

33. Mare says:

VERY good news!!!!

34. Jeannette says:

That’s brilliant, I like Lincoln!

35. Diane says:

I am very happy that Luke is joining the show. I hope they pair him up with Skye since it looks like Ward is going to stay evil. I have missed seeing him since they cancelled The Tomorrow People. I really liked that show.

36. Vigiles says:

The more interesting question is why is he making the regular cast before Deathlok! He’s a way more interesting character.

37. Dee says:

I’m good with this as long as Henry Simmons is also made a regular or the actor makes a statement saying he was offered a regular spot but chose not to commit. Because it makes no sense to promote Lincoln but not Mack, given that Mack’s been there working with the team all season.

38. Anon says:

Mack next please.

39. jw says:

With the comments that were posted when the finale aired, I said they should add Lincoln to the regulars, have Sky talk him into joining a team with powers. I’m so glad they did. He will make a great addition. Now I’m looking forward to next season even more.

40. Lynn says:

I don’t understand people being excited about this actor. The Tomorrow People wasn’t that great, and his character was a legit snoozefest last season. He was the most boring out of all the Inhumans introduced, and even his powers are boring when compared to seeing the future, teleporting, etc. I just felt like he was introduced as ship bait, and nothing that happened later changed my mind about that. They rushed a deep connection with Skye – seems CW type shippy to me. Their screen time took away from the more interesting Skye/Jiaying dynamic, which should have taken precedence considering the finale. I hope I’m wrong but I suspect this is what will be pushed at SDCC and there are so many other stories I’d rather see. Beyond that, Raina was super interesting and I’d have preferred to see her story. And then they keep adding more regulars while neglecting story arcs and proper background for characters that have been around longer. They did a terrible job of balancing characters last season – several arcs were rushed. Bobbi/Hunter were hyped for a potential spinoff that didn’t even happen – I like them but it was easy to see the ‘because spinoff’ writing going on there, especially in the finale. I just don’t want to see ‘because shipping’ writing on top of that.

41. Mahhek says:

I love to see lincoln. He understands skye, she feels good around him. Together they will make a wonderful team. Looking forward