24 Spinoff at Fox Would Revolve Around a New Male Character

24 Spinoff

Jack Bauer is passing the torch stopwatch.

Fox is developing a 24 spinoff that would revolve around a new twentysomething male terrorist hunter, , franchise overlord Howard Gordon confirmed to TVLine Sunday at the Critics Choice Television Awards.

While there are no current plans for Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack to appear, it’s entirely possible his iconic character could pop in and out on a guest-star basis.

The project would find the new male antihero working alongside an older, more seasoned female agent (not Yvonne Strahovski’s Kate Morgan, although she also may also appear). It would also launch as a limited series, similar to last year’s acclaimed 24: Live Another Day, but I’m told the offshoot could easily become a long-term property for Fox.

24: LAD vets Manny Coto and Evan Katz will serve as writers and EPs.

Last month, Gordon told Yahoo TV that the spinoff would maintain the “real-time concept” and that the story “is in the tradition of 24.”

1. Shaun says:

Eh,not buying that at all without any serious introduction to the old world.Kate or bust!

2. wrstlgirl says:

Hmmmm, for me it’s all going to boil down to who they cast.

• Pat says:

Maybe it won’t matter, maybe it’s one big fake out. All the new agents will die in the first episode and Jack and/or Tony and/or Kate and/or Chole and/or Belcheck will show up. Wishful thinking lol

3. Well, Jack is in prison, so it makes sense. Maybe someone will eventually break him out or he’ll escape from the Gulag.

• I remember that when the show first came out I read someone on a board say that Sutherland would be done with it within two seasons, and that they believed Bernard would replace him as lead moving forward.

• cdhaskell says:

I feel sorry for the actor who got the job because he will live in long shadow of the original Jack Bauer. I got a feeling that the idea to replace Sutherland with Bernard didn’t work out.

• I am glad that you explain why Fox wanted to reboot 24 with a new male. I got a feeling that Jack Bauer may started a guest star before the end of the current season that Jack Bauer will appear in every episode after the first one.

4. MarleneK says:

Casting is going to make it or break it, and no contrived cougar romance between the two.

5. Greg Enslen says:

This is just silly–they spent the whole miniseries setting up Yvonne Strahovski as the new “Bauer” and she was perfect. It was a natural, well-written handoff to the next hero. Alias did it–why can’t 24 have a female lead?

• wrstlgirl says:

Well it could be that the actress is busy or just not interested in committing to the entire series. The article doesn’t say that they would not have a female lead, just that it wouldn’t be Yvonne.

• Chlojack says:

Yvonne was actually very hesitant to take the role in 24LAD after having played a CIA agent for 5 years on Chuck. She has been very adamant about not wanting to be typecast as a CIA agent anymore. She may not have been interested in taking over from the 24 franchise from Kiefer. IMO, it’s a good career move and she is a good enough actress to lead her own series (or do films)

• JC says:

Um, she said in multiple interviews how excited she was about doing 24 and sounded open about carrying the show forward.

• Chlojack says:

I meant she was hesitant at the beginning when she was first offered the role. She then realized that Chuck and 24 were totally different so she accepted.

• dman6015 says:

They don’t trust a female lead.

• Blue Note says:

• Frank says:

Agree, tired of gender blindness in entertainment and sports. I am old fashion so don’t waste your time blasting my head off, I won’t change and you will look angry. It’s all tied to the PC lobotomy knife that is carving through our society.

6. aph1976 says:

This could be interesting.Maybe someone breaks Jack out of prison for some reason and the new agent has to find him in time.Then near the end Jack and the new agent meet and work together to stop the bad guys.

7. Lisa says:

It should be Yvonne. This is rediculous

8. Ben says:

I assume Sar….I mean Yvonne is out BC of the Astronaut’s Wives Club?

9. JC says:

It does say Kate may be back.

10. Chol H Yoon says:

Bring back Chloe! Perhaps she’ll be the new female lead / mother-figure for this loose cannon.

11. JBC says:

Yvonne is wonderful. She should be in it! Who could they cast as the 20 something actor? Any thoughts? All my favorites are a bit older!

12. Kris says:

This is depressing :( I want Jack back, dammit, as the lead not some guest star.

Hate to say it, but without Kiefer heading this, just say goodbye to ratings already, count me out as NOT watching

13. Mr. Tran K says:

This news should very well be the end of 24 and there’s still a chance whether or not Carlos Bernard will return as Tony Almeida.

14. Dizzle says:

Times like this I wish they hadn’t killed off Michelle! She was always my favourite non-Jack character, and kicked ass to boot. Could they just un-kill her like they did Tony?!

15. Eric says:

I don’t like this idea. What I don’t understand is why FOX doesn’t try to create more hits instead of trying to reboot/create spin-offs of all their past series. We had a “24” miniseries, now a “24” spin-off, they are rebooting The X-Files for a 6-part miniseries, there is talks of a “Prison Break” return, etc. Stop looking back at at the past and focus on the future. Sounds silly to say, but it’s the truth. This network will never get back into shape if they continue to do this. Work on creating hits that will last a few seasons instead of creating these one and done miniseries events based on past series that you once had. Also, I’m sorry, but “24” IS Jack Bauer. Most people will not be interested in a spin-off that isn’t about Jack. There might be *some* interest, but I doubt there is enough to create a sustainable hit. I’m just tired of reboots, remakes, and spin-offs. Give us something new and fresh. The lack of creativity is ridiculous and it’s probably why so many people are turned off by broadcast networks now. There is NO creativity at all.

• cdhaskell says:

It is sad to read how reboot/remakes/spin-offs have become easy to make instead of creating something new and fresh.

• stormsurger says:

They’ve been having bad luck creating new series (outside of Empire) and, since the 24 reboot worked you can bet you’ll see more of it. A familiar show has a built-in following that a new show has to earn. Everyone is doing it.

16. James says:

Don’t think a female Jack Bauer would interest me, this could be good but I agree with what one said here
    It all depends on who they cast as the male lead I might one of the few who hated Kate hope she’s off this completely

17. Ray says:

Definitely should be Kate (Yvonne Strahovski) with the lead. she earned it. Would be more interesting with a female lead..Will Chloe be back? Will be hesitant to jump on board with a male lead. Better be a good choice.

• Kelly says:

If Jack isn’t going to come back or he just shows up a time or two, then it has to be Yvonne or nothing. She did earn it. I don’t want some pretty boy twenty something trying to be tough and failing miserably.Yvonne or nothing

• thepixinator says:

Amen! I agree – Yvonne was fantastic in her role, totally believable and kick-ass. I don’t want a pretty boy male in the role just because he’s male. I hope they’re planning it this way because Yvonne Strahovsky was tired of playing Agents and not because they wouldn’t give it to a female.

• cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that Jack Bauer may started in the guest star role but when the rating go downhill that he will appear in every episode along with the new character because the fan wanted Jack Bauer.

18. James D says:

I’m always up for more 24 but TBH i was hoping they’d concentrate on Kate or another female lead thought that would be far more interesting then simply rehashing the same thing with a younger version of Jack.

19. kmw says:

Not going to work. Even with Jack weaving in and out, I do not believe that’s what people want to see, certainly not me. 24 has always revolved around Jack Bauer and no matter what young actor they get it will not be the same.

20. cdhaskell says:

Good luck to Fox because it will need it. So it look like that there will be a new Jack Bauer replace the old one in the title role. The old one will be a guest star. I can’t wait to see how the other fan will take the news.

21. Laray says:

Great, some red-lipped Chris Evans-type pretty boy is going to play a 20-something CTU agent. New generation actors have buff bodie with high-pitched voices, lousy diction and the personality of wallpaper. The absolute antithesis of Jack Bauer. Count me out.

22. Filmic The Page With Jon Meyers says:

Of course, I’d prefer Jack Bauer–but calm down people–with Evan Katz on board, it will be fine. He’s great. And if Jon Cassar directs again, it’ll be golden.

23. Laray says:

Give us Jack Bauer or forget about it. It’s the sign of the times, isn’t it. Water down and assembly line a great franchise and obliterate the legacy set by it.

24. Fox is surely going to lose a lot of viewers. Not the same with out the real JB. I think this is crazy.

25. If they’re going to pass the torch, I’d like closure on Jack Bauer’s character.

26. MD says:

I would rather have a 2 hour movie giving Jack Bauer some closure since Kiefer clearly is done with the character. The spin off could be ok depending upon who they cast like others have mentioned.

27. Keith says:

Honestly, and not being sexist, the reason I don’t think a female lead would work is because the torture. If it were a cable series, it could work, but on network TV there’s only so much they can show and a female agent getting tortured would have to be more reserved for nudity / censor reasons.

But if they could move to Showtime or HBO than that would kick ass and wouldnt have to worry about censors.

• Sally says:

you’re right, that is sexist

• cdhaskell says:

I didn’t need to read the rest of Felix statement to know why I believe that a non Jack Bauer 24 wouldn’t work. He claim that he isn’t sexist but his statement sound the differ. Good luck to the Fox because the show will need it.

• KELLY says:

The same people(Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow) The creators of 24, had another spy show before 24 called La Femme Nikita and believe me, the torture was not reserved, in fact the “White Room” was very busy! In other words, no it did not make a differnce. Yvonne needs to be the new agent, If Jacks not there.

28. Sharon says:

I’m sorry but nobody can replace Kiefer Sutherland aka Jack Bauer. It’s not 24 (or a spin-off) with Jack as the main character. We won’t be watching.

• cdhaskell says:

Good luck getting the loyal 24 fan watching the 24 with the new Jack Bauer. I can’t wait to see the new Jack Bauer and how the writer will developed the new 24.

• m3rcnate says:

I will. Personally i dont have a problem with the torch being handed off to someone new. Jack is a beast and was 24 but his story line has only one last thread and thats him dying or getting 100% out of the business. I don’t really wanna see Jack running around at 50 yelling at Chloe trying to stop another attack. Give me a new character who is written VERY well and new exciting stories and plots.
      24 has “hit” before and kinda “missed” in the past in giving us a crop of new characters. The “hit” was when we were introduced to the FBI team (including the great Renee Walker), those were interesting characters. Then there’s the new CTU team which was a “miss” IMO. I love Katee Sackhoff but i didn’t love her character (it was all “im in love, we are engaged, stop hitting on me weird nerd tech guy” stuff). Also i just can’t get over seeing Freddie Prinze Jr. on TV and him not being the guy from “She’s all that”. Hes a great voice actor (Dragon Age, Mass Effect) but i don’t believe him when hes on screen with a gun trying to be a bad-ass.
      So, 24; establish a new cast of agents and a President and VP and everything, then remember your hero is only as good as his villain, and go from there. Remember casting is key.

29. I would totally be up for another 24 spinoff. One of my favorite shows.

30. sublime says:

no Jack, mo 24

31. BrianR says:

Booooooooooooooo what about Yvonne.

32. mac says:

Why not FINALLY use that chance to give us the Tony Almeida spin-off we so desperately want?!?!

33. Lisa Pollione says:

so excited to have 24 back….i am sure they will do a great job. I hope Cloey comes back to help the new guy. He’s going to need her.

34. m3rcnate says:

I enjoy diversity, it makes shows interesting and more fun typically, but i don’t scream for it or anything…but in this case i gotta say i would really like a woman to be the lead. I really liked Yvonne in 24: LAD and was excited about the possibility of having her take the helm. Sad that they missed out on that boat and shes now starring on another show.
    A lead female would really add a new flavor to the show, a new dynamic, not that it hasn’t been done before (Alias, Covert Affairs) but it hasn’t been done nearly enough IMO.
    I can’t help but think of the BADASS women that could lead and carry 24 and be absolutely awesome; Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha on Vikings), Caity Lotz (Canary on Arrow), Michelle Lukes (Sgt. Richmond on Strike Back), Trieste Kelly Dunn (Deputy Siobhan Kelly on Banshee), Jaimie Alexander (NBC Blind-Spot), and many many many more. Basically think of a bad-ass actress who knows how to fight, and knows how to wield a gun and you’ve got a good candidate.

35. David4 says:

I was excited until I read there wouldn’t be Yvonne Strahovski as a lead. Stupidity at it’s finest, Fox’s new moto.

36. They’re going to need someone with a name to pull this off. Thanks the stupidity of NBC, Danny Pino is available.

• gemini says:

Danny Pino is too old for the character type mentioned and would he want to “step into the shoes” of Kiefer Sutherland after all the flak he took replacing Chris Meloni on SVU. I’d like to see Pino do non-network stuff. More scope, more challenges.

37. Bill says:

It won’t work. Spinoff though it might be, keeping the 24 hr concept makes it a 24 wannabe. That show, the clock, the concept belong to Jack Bauer/Kiefer. If they want to develop another terrorist-hunter show, fine. Just don’t try to make it like 24. It won’t work.

38. AKA says:

If they don’t bring in as much of the old cast (still living that is) as possible this isn’t going to work for me. And having to “rescue’ Jack around episode 3 or 4 to work him back into the show would be amazing and a cool surprise if they kept it on the DL.
    I can do without Chloe, but I would enjoy seeing him again… not too happy the way they handled his fate.

39. brandy says:

Sorry, but 24 IS Jack Bauer. Without him, it’s not 24. No thanks.

• cdhaskell says:

I must agree that 24 and Jack Bauer is like egg and ham. I will feel sorry for the actor who will become the newest freedom fighter. He will be in the shadow of Jack Bauer.

40. Blue Note says:

If Chloe dosn’t come back….they to hell with “24.”

41. Sheldon W. says:

Totally not buying that when they had a perfect successor in Kate Morgan (Yvonne Strahovski).

42. Tarajifan says:

Keifer could never guest star, he would steal the show from any MALE star. I want Kate!

43. Lexy says:

No Jack Bauer and no female lead?
    Incredibly disappointing :(

44. Carlos Lee says:

I would watch it, but it should start Jack!!!

45. Lynda Muir says:

Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) is the show! No guest star basis, full time Jack Bauer. I have loved the show since the beginning and know a lot of people that love it as well. Every time the show was coming back on for a special episode (short story) everyone would be thrilled and talking about it. C’mon the fans want 24 back, as we know it and love it! LISTEN TO THE FANS, BELIEVE ME!

46. Cobra says:

Not going to watch. “24” without Jack Bauer is not “24.” It would be like “House” without Dr. House. After a while, a character defines a series as much as an actor defines a role.

47. pam zerance says:

If Keifer isn’t in it playing Jack I’m not interested or watching

48. Nick Hayden says:

would love for them to bring kate back if bauer isnt gonna be on there i liked her character from lad