David Duchovny Deflates X-Files 'Shippers, Nixes Gillian Anderson Dating Rumors: Mulder & Scully Are 'Gonna Have To Be Enough'

David Duchovny Gillian Anderson

It appears that X-Files star David Duchovny has really taken the whole “deceive, inveigle, obfuscate” thing to heart.

While chatting with TVLine about his upcoming projects — which include NBC’s Aquarius and Fox’s much-buzzed-about X-Files revival — Duchovny confirms that he’s seen the continuation’s first script and offers this tease. (You might want to sit down.)

“It has Mulder and Scully in it,” he says dryly. “You’re just gonna have to wait. You’re gonna have to wait like everybody.”

RELATED Fox Fall Schedule: When Will The X-Files Revival Air?

Perhaps of more interest, albeit to a certain sect of Mulder-and-Scully fans: Duchovny gently shoots down the notion that he and co-star Gillian Anderson have ever been anything more than the FBI’s Most Unwanted.

“The whole thing about Gillian and I dating is so weird. It’s never happened, it’s not going to happen, we’re friends,” he says. “I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade, but no, it’s not gonna happen. It hasn’t happened.”

The rumors, which have been present for years, made their rounds on the Internet again last week after Anderson joined Duchovny onstage during a recent concert to promote his album Hell or Highwater in New York.

RELATED X-Files Revival: A ‘Sad’ Vince Gilligan Confirms He Won’t Return for Revival

“I see Gillian, I kiss her hello. She’s my friend. If somebody gets a picture of that, if it’s on stage and she comes up to sing with me, I’m going to kiss her hello,” he says. “I wish the show would be enough. I don’t understand why people want more from Gillian and I. I really don’t.”

He adds: “You can have Mulder and Scully, and that’s gonna have to be enough.”

1. David says:

The Duchovny doth protest too much

2. MrMank says:

How stupid are people? Talk about getting too involved in your TV shows. “What do you mean Spock is played by an actor??”

3. vmm says:

People are just creppy. Actors personal lifes belong to them, not to us. I love them as actors and how they interact with each other.
    That’s all

4. T says:

Party pooper. At least Gillian knows how to joke around.

• David says:

Right? I think he’s probably just a little on edge because of all the cheating rumors when he was with Tea Leoni (not sure if he still is or not) and just wanted to nip it in the bud

5. Frances says:

For fecks sake. I don’t think anyone cares. The whole excitement was that it was David and Gillian who play two icons onstage and it was FUN. The press is the one spreading rumors fueling fans excitement. The fans were not the one posting those kissing images all over the place. That was the press. Fans just love them as Mulder and Scully. Sure there are others out there who want them to date, but can you really blame them? No need to be so aggressive about this. We are very much aware that they aren’t dating. We are not stupid, so don’t treat us as such.

• WTF says:

Actually, yes, the fans ARE the ones posting those pics all over the place. And a subset of fans ARE the ones who have been convinced they’ve been a secret couple ALL THESE YEARS, even while married to other people (they’re called “snoggers” in the fandom, and they are creepy as H-E-L-L). You clearly don’t know much about the XF fandom.

• dman6015 says:

Snoggers? So it’s based in Britain?

• Kat says:

I’ve never heard the “snoggers” term, but fans absolutely will ship the actors, and I agree its very creepy. Some ncis fans do it to Michael Weatherly, its insane. I do recall when the original show was on, that the rumor was GA and DD couldn’t get along, yet people would ask them all the time if they would ever consider dating…why…

• Frances says:

I’m an OG X-phile, dinglehead, but unlike you, I don’t have something rammed so far up by bum its coming out sh*t thru my mouth

6. Nitemar says:

Never cared about David or Gillian’s personal lives, but loved their crazy chemistry on the screen. Can’t wait.

7. AA says:

I thought gillian was gay, I`m positive I read it somewhere.

8. Drew says:

It’s not surprising. Back in the day, the rumor was that they didn’t even like each other. The truth is probably that they’re like siblings who will bicker when they’re around each other too much, but who enjoy spending time with each other.
    Even with Mulder and Scully, I never got romantic vibes from them. Not all chemistry between male and female actors is sexual.

9. TrustNoOneDuchovny says:

Your not fooling anybody Mr. Duchovny! I hope your buddy Brad reads this comment back to you. Try explaining why you were drooling all over Gillian in the green room. The proof hasn’t been posted yet..

10. David4 says:

I never understood why fans care about who actors date. I rather they don’t date, because if they dated and broke up then the show might suffer.

• Stacy says:

That was my exact thought! If they’d dated and broken up, the chances for a reboot like this would be even more slim.

• Marc says:

Stars dating worked out so well on Alias, From a viewer/fan’s perspective, the last thing we’d want is for off-screen issues to mess up the on-screen narrative.

11. Kat says:

“I wish the show would be enough” — You could say this to A LOT of fans out there. I am MORE than happy with just the show! #noromo4life

12. msstargate says:

Bummer..I think they make a great couple, but happy they will be together on the show.

13. Ana Cleary says:

He makes it sound like they’ve had a friendly peck or two that’s been taken wildly out of context by fans who are obsessed with the idea of Scully and Mulder getting together. In reality, most fans are completely able to separate them from their characters and wouldn’t have given an actual relationship another thought after all these years had we not also seen numerous videos and pictures of them (check out several Comic Cons on youtube, for example) that seem to tell a very different story. They are always hanging all over each other, giggling, gazing into each others eyes, whispering in each others ears, rubbing each others backs, holding hands under the table, and making suggestive comments to or about each other. And don’t get me started on the sexual Twitters or the AMA photo taken in one of their hotel rooms with them on a bed. About a week or so ago when DD was asked by an interviewer about being in a relationship with GA he said, “I’ll have to get back with you on that,” then said it won’t happen, but ended it by saying he’s been wrong before. If the answer is “no,” you don’t say, “let me get back to you on that.” And Gillian is thoroughly unconvincing when denying a relationship (see the Huffington Post video) and just a few days Twittered that she’d follow him anywhere. So DD can think it’s “weird” that people think they are or have been in a relationship all he wants. What’s actually weird is their behavior and how they both perpetuate the idea that something is definitely going on every chance they get when they are together. He can say they’re “just friends” but neither one of them behaves like any male and female I have ever known who are simply that. If nothing else, they are close friends with benefits, but the idea that nothing more has ever happened is ludicrous to anyone who has seen them together and can read body language. Lastly, Gillian Anderson is incredibly talented, successful, and appears to get more beautiful every day. Any man who would walk away from that is truly the weird one.

• Drew says:

And we all know that neither one of these actors (much less the two of them together) would find it funny to do all of those things just to mess with the heads of the people who have been obsessing for the last 20 years.

• Ana Cleary says:

Actually, they haven’t been messing with people the entire time. For quite a while, they didn’t have a whole lot nice to say about each other. But in the last few years especially, they’ve gone from saying they weren’t friends to gushing about how close they are and how much they mean to each other. Also, the body language has definitely changed. So if this was all done deliberately, it’s a dick move to then turn around, blame your fans for it, and “really not understand” why anyone would think more is going on.

• Drew says:

They’re actors. Whatever you read about them is probably fiction one way or the other. It isn’t their job to let us into their real lives, so if they decide to pit on a show, why would that be a dick move?
          If I were an actor, I would make up enough BS to keep the paparazzi happy and out of my real life.

• sarahlou says:

Perfect response Ana. I’ve noticed exactly the same – especially since they joined twitter. It’s almost farcical watching how they behave with one another. Having being a shipper all of my life, I thought reading GA say she would follow DA anywhere would be a dream come true. Turns out I struggled to keep my breakfast down, screwed up my face, and rolled my eyes. Like I do with every other loaded comment they throw at one another. They definitely know how to wind up the public, and appear to be doing it gleefully. The stomach churning, public displays of affection are just an attention seeking publicity stunts, that I do not believe for a second are indicative of their real life relationship. They’re simply playing it up. However, I do understand why certain people would believe that it’s the truth, and want them to get together on that basis.

• gjanseda says:

“The stomach churning, public displays of affection are just an attention seeking publicity stunts, that I do not believe for a second are indicative of their real life relationship. They’re simply playing it up”. That is EXACTLY what I think. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure they like each other as people but those “TLC moments” between them are nothing more than publicity, a great way to let people believe they are super close. As I said before I’m sure they get along while working together but I’m skeptical how they went from sentences like “we don’t socialize out of work” to “we are super close friends”. Sorry but I ain’t buying it.

• WTF says:

^^^ SNOGGER ^^^

• sozobear says:

Amen brother

14. bj says:

Let’s face it, some people just can’t distinguish the difference between actors (REAL people) and the roles they play. (Imaginary people.) They live vicariously through the people they see on their screens and they want to manipulate those images to suit the pictures in their heads. That’s why some fans get so obsessed when the people they ship don’t get together on screen. Or worse, when they do. (Then some have been known to actually attack the actors in social media because their fantasies aren’t being fulfilled.) In video games it’s called Game Transfer Phenomena. I think we need a name for television crossover too.

15. Billy says:

Why do you have to kiss her hello and goodbye. I’m sorry but that did not look platonic. Would he have acted that same way if a male had joined him? He’s either using her for publicity for his album and now he’s done, or else he really wants to keep whatever is going on between the private on the eve of shooting xfiles which is totally understandable, but to say he just doesn’t get get it seems like a pr move.

16. ivy says:

She declared a break with the father of her children on David’s birthday. David published his divorce on Gillian’s birthday. Not too weird that?

17. Kitsey says:

I’m not a huge x files fan, but I’ve watched some episodes and have to agree that these two actors have amazing chemistry. I also came across the news/ video of their onstage performance and kiss. I swear I thought they were dating, it didn’t occur to me that they were only friends. And watching the video I just assumed that they’ve been dating for a while (just their body language and the pecks). I’m very surprised to find out that they are not dating (after reading the article). Regardless, I think I’m going to start watching the series chronologically to prepare for the new season! Lookin fwd to that.

• Angie says:

But David doesn’t understand why people think they’re together. You get the dilemma. It’s not hard to mistake them for being a couple. I don’t kiss my close guy friends on the mouth after having just seen them backstage not too long before. And if I were a guy, I’m assuming I would not reach for my gal friend on stage to kiss her ON THE MOUTH AGAIN. Either David is extremely naieve and really doesn’t understand, or he knows what he is playing at. I’m assuming the latter. Gillian knows, and she has fun with it.

18. Lucy says:

I don’t get why some people are so obsessed with the idea of Gillian and David dating. What if they are? What if they aren’t? How does it affect your own life?? I for one never assumed they were dating when I saw the pictures. They were cute, they were fun, they were clearly having fun with each other, it’s nice to see them together and that’s about it. The pecks on the lips… big deal, they didn’t last one second. They are actors, don’t freak out so much about it.

19. RealityBites says:

Oh my god, I can hear the Snogger’s little collective black hearts breaking all over the internet. How will they explain his away? They’ve clung to their hopes and delusion for a couple decades, created a million animated GIFs, photoshopped a million “romantic” photos, written heaps of real person fanfic, and posted a billion theories why these two crazy star crossed lovers can’t be together — a favorite was that Fox Network wouldn’t let them date. Seriously. Two adults can’t “date”. LOLOLOL. Poor things. They must really be hating on David right now…..how dare he deny their love.

20. sozobear says:

Man its so good to have the X-Files back! The online fandom has finally come back to life! I can’t believe how familiar all of these comments are, give the fandom any X-Files related topic and they will dissect it and analyze it until moderators need to start splitting threads by 100’s! I can’t believe the show is back, best news ever!

21. gjanseda says:

I’m sure they are Both dating but I DO NOT think it is one another. I think whomever they are dating they want to keep it private. I read somewhere he was/is dating the girl that played Janice in Friends. I don’t know if it’s true.

22. Gillian Loves David says:

Gillian Makes Comments that are funny About them Being together…But need I remind David Duchovny they are JOKES!!! At least Gillian Can Say “It’s a Nice Idea..But..Isn’t Gonna Happen” like…David Was Being Unnecessarily Rude…He is Bursting many Peoples Bubbles…He can’t Just Say that…He is Prob Mad Because people were saying he cheated On Tea Leoni with Gillian..MAN..I WISH THAT HAPPEND!!!