Vampire Diaries Finale: EP Previews Jo's Fate, Steroline's Future and Damon's 'Choices' for Elena

Vampire Diaries Season Finale

Did Jo survive her wedding from hell? How will Elena and Tyler say goodbye? And what’s to become of Steroline? We’ve got a lot of questions leading up to Thursday’s Vampire Diaries season finale (The CW, 8/7c).

Fortunately, executive producer Julie Plec was able to offer some insight about tomorrow night’s main event — even if her answers (specifically about the show’s potential casualties) weren’t what necessarily what we wanted to hear.

TVLINE | Let’s start on a positive note: Before all hell broke loose, that wedding was beautiful.
That is a full credit to our production designer, Garreth Stover and our line producer Pascal Verschooris. They are such geeks about sets and locations, and they knew how important it was that it was beautiful. They went out and found a barn, built the inside of the barn, added mirrors that the actual structure didn’t have, then VFX’d the mirrors into the barn on location. It was insane, a big endeavor, but they knew we had to get it right.

TVLINE | And they did. But now I need to ask about Jo and her babies, because I’m very worried. Can you give me hope?
I think you should stay worried. I’m not so sure that’s going to have a happy ending, sadly.

TVLINE | That makes me really sad. I feel like Jo was such a fantastic addition to the show.
I adore her. I love Jodi Lynn O’Keefe and I love that relationship. Maybe it’s because I’m a grownup, and I like seeing grownups fall in love, but it was definitely sad to bring it to the tragic place it is now.

Vampire Diaries Season FinaleTVLINE | I’m also worried about Stefan and Caroline. I have to assume he’s not going to give up so easily…?
Let’s hope not, because the last time he didn’t step up and make his feelings clear, there were six episodes of consequences. I think that, if nothing else, Stefan deserves his say in the matter. I think he’ll have a point of view that he’ll share and that’s important for [Caroline] to hear.

TVLINE | With Nina Dobrev leaving the show, and Jo bleeding out at her own wedding, Stefan and Caroline are the only couple you guys have left. Does that add pressure on you guys to keep them together?
Well, without spoiling too much, theirs is a relationship that I’ve personally been rooting for for a very long time. I love the idea of trying to explore if a show can be good when its main couple is happy. Often, you need conflict and hurdles and obstacles to keep a show spicy and exciting, so we’ll see what next year brings.

TVLINE | I mean, I’ve been rooting for them since … I think the beginning of Season 2.
Yeah, it was Episode 202 where he takes her into the bathroom and helps her. And in the next episode, they’re walking through the woods and bantering with each other. I loved those exchanges so much, so I’ve always had that in the back of my mind as something I’d like to see. And now it is here.

TVLINE | Tyler’s comment about the full moon concerned me, because Tyler + full moon = trouble.
I definitely don’t think it was called out without reason.

Vampire Diaries Season FinaleTVLINE | There is that photo of him chained up in his basement. Is that a hint?
[Laughs] It is a hint — probably a pretty blatant one.

TVLINE | I liked seeing Liv back last week. What role will she play in Tyler’s exit?
They start the episode in absolute jeopardy, because Kai has come back to put this coven in their place. So Liv, as a member of the Gemini coven, is definitely one of those people he feels strongly about.

TVLINE | OK, let’s finish with that little thing called “Nina Dobrev’s exit.” Was Stefan’s warning to Damon, about how he’d have to isolate himself after taking the cure, a hint about what will happen to Elena?
A little bit. It’s not a direct connection, but it’s definitely part of the choices that are made about how to handle what happens to her character.

TVLINE | It kind of looks like she’ll go on a goodbye tour, spending time with each person. Will we see individual goodbyes?
Yeah, you’ll see as many individual goodbyes as you could fit into the episode without it being a clip show. That was one of my and Caroline [Dries’] favorite parts about writing this episode was being able to honor each of those relationships in whatever small ways we could.

TVLINE | What do you say to fans who fear what the show’s Nina-less future has in store? Will they be satisfied with the finale?
To the people who will never be satisfied without Elena Gilbert in it, I say, “Sorry, it’s been a beautiful ride, and I hope you give us a shot moving forward, but if not, thank you for the passion and commitment you’ve given up to this point.” To the people who are ready and willing to see where the show goes without her, I think we’re going to take them on a really cool, exciting ride. There’s hope at the end of the series that we’ll be able to give Elena the resolution that Kevin [Williamson] and I have always wanted to give her since Day 1.

Vampire Diaries fans, what are your predictions (and hopes/fears) for Thursday’s season finale? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Nina says:

So in other words Julie Plec is saying that Jo wont survive? Where this show is coming???

2. Jess says:

I’m both excited for and dreading saying goodbye to Nina and Tyler. I’ve loved both of those characters so much (for the most part) and it’s going to be weird without them. I could go 1000 years without seeing another Steroline scene because I just don’t think it’s interesting or enhances either character, but what can you do? It sounds like it’s here to stay.

3. m3rcnate says:

LMAO!
    “Well, without spoiling too much, theirs is a relationship that I’ve personally been rooting for for a very long time. I love the idea of trying to explore if a show can be good when its main couple is happy.”
    Oh man, let me pull up a seat and wait for the butthurt TVD fans to explode. Back when she started getting them together it was “EW no! They are just friends!” then when the mom was dying it was “OMG the writers are using the mom dying as their way to get Stef and Car together?! Repulsive!”
    Now the entire (last) season is going to be Caroline and Stefan coupling, not just that but them happy.
    I am a bit upset with Plec with the “i want to try to explore if a show can be good when its main couple is happy” because i have been saying forever 1) it can be and 2) why couldnt it? What sucks is most likely this shows ratings will fall next season and the show will end with season 7, confirming (to her) Plec’s idea that a happy couple cant be an interesting show, when it fact thats not true.

4. Lani says:

Frankly I had a love / hate relationship with Elena soo im excited to see what comes next and hopefully its years more of TVD 😆
    But personally i hate the Steroline relationship and would love to see Caroline with someone darker like Enzo or Klaus ( even though hes on another show , but its like the curators forgot his promise to wait forever for Care ? I mean he clearly loved her for a long time! )
    But regardless i will continue to completly obsess over this show 😌

5. Lani says:

P.S
    dont you guys think Caroline and a darker charactar would bring so much ratings as Caroline is often seen as a goody two shoes 😈

• Jared says:

I loved it when Caroline and Klaus were somewhat/not really together a couple seasons ago.

• Lifer says:

Completely agree and I’m waiting for them to see each other again. At last year’s Comic Con JP said Klaus made an eternal promise. That’s even after TVD’s Season 2 when this Steroline seed was apparently planted, so I’m not giving up on it happening.

6. Do zalet wynikających z zastosowania tej metody czyszczenia dywanów można zaliczyć również dość szybki czas schnięcia.

7. Jared says:

Sadly, TVD’s wont be the same without Elena and it sounds like this is the beginning of the end so im hoping that next season will be its last.

8. Baileigh says:

Lets say that Damon, or some other vampire in the cast compels Elena to forget everything about Mystic Falls and she leaves town forever. She still is the doppelganger, she still has the “powers” (for lack of a better word) associated with being the doppelganger. Anyone from Klaus to any number of witches could come after her and she woud have no idea why these people were interested in her. Compelling her to forget doesn’t sound like a good alternative to keepig her safe.

• Sara says:

My theory is that they fake her death…..make everyone think she died at the wedding. Then she leaves, probably compelled, and Damon stays.

9. ss says:

“Let’s hope not, because the last time he didn’t step up and make his feelings clear, there were six episodes of consequences.” Wait what? And if Stefan’s feelings then were that he didn’t care for Caroline romantically what would have happened? Would Caroline just have gotten over her mother’s death immediately if he agreed to date her? This relationship is just no fun to watch when it’s torn Caroline down so much.

10. AnnieM says:

So………WTH can’t Alaric and Jo have been a happy couple, too? I’m extremely PO’ed about this. And also wondering if Caroline is Julie Plec’s personal Mary Sue.

11. Toni Benoit says:

Vampire Diaries w/out Elena…this should be the “SERIES FINALLY” The show started based on the threesome,,,the Salvatore Brothers & Elena. Along w/ Jeremy,Matt, Tyler, Bonnie , & Caroline. I don’t think the show will be worth the time. After all the bad I think there should have been some more deserved happiness for all. You ruined a good thing.

12. pamela says:

well at least they plan on bringing her back for the series finale. that also gives some hope to delena fans. i honestly don’t see the show going on more than 1 or 2 seasons.

• Baileigh says:

I’m still not clear on one thing, if Bonnie took the cure from 1994 it won’t be there in 2014 for Elena to force down Katherine’s throat. Wouldn’t this mean that Katherine as a vampire is still walking around? Dobrev (if the storyline called for it next season and she is available) could very well return to the show not as Elena but as Katherine.

13. PRANIE DYWANÓW NA WSKROŚ – to metoda polegająca na całkowitym przemoczeniu dywanu, jego runa i osnowy.

14. Denise Sayer says:

JP is such a “grown-up” – ridiculous!!!! And Steroline – so not on the drawing board at all until Dullena and Nina’s leaving – all this women does is write bad fan fiction and lie about it.

15. Fx says:

Good riddance. Since Caroline Dries took over, the show crashed and burned. The fifth season was look-away awful. It seems like the sixth season improved a little because Plec returned. They kept trying to force Delena but it just wouldn’t happen, Nina and Ian have this awkward lack of chemistry. Hopefully, next season Caroline Forbes will be front and center. She’s the most interesting thing in this mess by far. My rant is over now.

• Denise Sayer says:

Total agreement on the train wreck the show has become, but really it’s been since season 4 – just futher and further down hill and up Damon’s/Ian backside.

16. ChrisGa says:

First off, I think this show has been limping creatively for while now but, for me, this was easily the series’ best season since Year Two. And while I hardly ever agree with Andy Swift, I will say that Jo has been one of the best additions to this show in awhile and Jodi Lynn O’Keefe plays the hell out of her; fingers crossed she makes it out of this season alive and semi-well.

17. storys says:

Given her comment it sounds like Elena will be back for the series finale when the show finally ends. That’s both interesting and calming….though I would like to see Damon and Bonnie explore a potential relationship there. Of course, Bonnie could be dead before Elena wakes up again. I like Caroline and Stefan, like them as a couple, interested to see where they go with it but buddy, I am tired of the back and forth. Lets pick one and see where it takes us. Overall, while I have liked the season, despite some not so great parts, I do think the show needs to end next year. I am not expecting Jo or Alaric to make it out, which sucks, but is also not surprising. Plec likes tragedy, which is fine, but even it can get a bit old. Hope tomorrow’s finale is great, fingers crossed.

18. Brenna says:

Pleas just put Klaus and Caroline together!!

19. Maryann says:

I will be very very disappointed if Jo dies. It has been so refreshing to have an adult couple in love. Why on earth can’t the showrunners just let them be happy? I am far more invested in them than in any other characters (or couples) on the show.

20. kim says:

Your all very sadly mistaken if you think the show will survive without elena. And calling and Stephen ? No chemistry on screen. As for Nina’s career? Well. Kiss that goodbye. Smh. I loved this show once upon a time. Good luck

21. rarefied says:

This: “Damon’s ‘Choices’ for Elena” is basically the problem with Delena in a nutshell, that he was always taking away her agency. I’ve been wondering if the show was going to end with him controlling her again or if he’d finally let her make her own decisions.

22. Monica says:

No no no no , more Steroline??? Please, I thought it was over for good. :/
    I want Stefan to be back Stefan, and I want a story for Caroline (no guys, no romance).

23. zed says:

I would have been there in season 7 if they went the Bamon way. They are the only ones who have the interest dynamic really. Everything else is a snoozefest.

24. Kristy says:

I’m confused about the cure. It made Katherine age pretty rapidly, and she died. I understand it not really affecting Elena because she’d only been a vampire for a few years, but what about Damon? I’d think it would affect him like it did Katherine. Also, when was it established that drinking the blood of someone who took the cure would also turn that person human? I don’t remember hearing any of that back when we originally heard of the cure a couple of seasons ago.

• Amy says:

This is classic Julie Plec. The whole series is ridden with inconsistences. They just ignore previously stated supernatural rules to go ahead with the plotline.

• Amy says:

I’m not really surprised with Nina leaving. Elena had no storyline in season 6. She just existed, her life was sorted out. It was getting boring because there wasnt anything in store for her. She just had the “losing her memory” thing and thats it and now the cure is just because it will enable her exit from the show.

• KDA says:

Katherine aged normally as a human until Silas sucked the cure out of her (Season 5 episode 5). Once the cure was sucked out, Katherine started rapidly aging to her true age. She tells Qesiyah that fact in Season 5 episode 7. So Elena can have the cure sucked out, but she will only age up 2-3 years. She’s still young in human years (20-21), so she won’t die like Katherine did. Damon can suck the cure out of Elena and will age normally as long as the cure stays in him. If it is ever sucked out of him, he will age up and die because he would be older than the normal human lifespan.

25. aph1976 says:

Regarding Damon i keep thinking that to save Elena he’ll have to let her leave.That way she’s alive and happy too but not with him.Plus maybe Elena will be compelled to forget everything and maybe she gets a false reality of sorts where her parents are alive and she and Jeremy are with them.That way Elena kind of gets a happy ending because she’s with her family even though it’s not real.

26. beth says:

if you pay attention to the promo, you see bonnie and i think caroline standing over what appears to be a casket…bonnie does some witchy thing and puts elena in their mind, for them all to say goodbye

27. Kelly says:

First of all I’m gone need you guys to find your chill talking bout the show should end because Nina is leaving that’s your opinion some of us still likes the show and would like for it to continue so stop being ornery and get over it if your not gonna watch anymore then fine but stop tryna dictate the fate of the show because you feel some type of way I like Nina but I’m not gonna stole watching the show cuz she’s gone I love all the cast and can’t wait for yet another season to come

28. Kelly says:

Is Sarah Nelson/Salvator gonna join the cast for next season?