Fall TV Preview

Fox Fall Schedule: Scream Queens Takes Tuesday Crown, Sleepy Rises on Thursday, X-Files Held 'Til January

Fox Fall Schedule 2015

Fox is the latest broadcaster to unveil its schedule for the 2015-16 TV season, and herewith are the major headlines: Ryan Murphy’s comedic horror anthology Scream Queens will anchor an all-new Tuesday lineup, Sleepy Hollow is on the move to Thursdays at 9/8c after Bones, and the new Morris Chestnut procedural Rosewood will lead into Empire on Wednesdays.

Also of note: The six-episode X-Files revival will bow Sunday, Jan. 24 following the NFC Championship Game, before settling into its regular Mondays-at-8 perch the following night. New Girl is also being held until January, where it will air Tuesdays at 9 (after Scream Queens ends) and enjoy what Fox calls “its first-ever season of virtually uninterrupted originals.”

Joining X-Files and New Girl at midseason are the Grim Reaper-themed Lucifer (which will get a launch out of X-Files), the modern-day Frankenstein Code Lookinglass, the sitcom Guide to Surviving Life and Seth MacFarlane’s long-gestating animated comedy Bordertown. Returning reality series on the ’16 deck include Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader, Hell’s Kitchen, MasterChef, MasterChef Junior and So You Think You Can Dance. Grease: Live, meanwhile, will air Sunday, Jan. 31.

And as reported here, the 15th — and final — season of American Idol will also bow in January.

All told, the Fox schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

8 pm Gotham

9 pm Empire

8 pm Bones
9 pm Sleepy Hollow

8 pm Masterchef Junior
9 pm World’s Funniest

Fox Sports Saturday

7 pm NFL
7:30 pm Bob’s Burgers
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm Brooklyn Nine-Nine
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm The Last Man on Earth

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Backstrom, The Following, Gang Related, Glee, Gracepoint, The Mindy Project, Mulaney, Red Band Society, Utopia and Weird Loners

1. Rex Mundi says:

WHY has nobody raised their hand at Fox and said “Hey guys, maybe The Grinder isn’t the best name for a show…you know, there’s a certain app with a very similar name…”

2. dji says:

fox is soooooooooooooooooooo stupid. putting sleepy hollow on at 9:00 on thursday is sure death. maybe that’s what they want.

• David4 says:

After the mess that is called season 2 I think we should be happy there is a third season at all.

• worldtraveler9 says:

What will it be up against?

• Dean says:

They should have ended it after season two than let it detiriorate at the Thursday death slot.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto, but then they would have had to take the blame because of the way it was mishandled. This way, the show will be cancelled for low ratings and Fox will be “blameless”. This sort of makes me feel like I don’t want to watch this show or any on Fox.

• worldtraveler9 says:

Then don’t let “them” win by not watching Sleepy Hollow. Give the new showrunner a chance.

• Melissa says:

worldtraveler9: You’re absolutely right. I hope we can prove them wrong and bring Sleepy back to its season one glory–or at least close to it!

• Angela says:

@Melissa: I hope so, too. I didn’t think about the fact that it’d be up against such big shows on Thursdays. I don’t watch “The Blacklist” or “Scandal”, so that part of things is not an issue-there’s really nothing else I can think of that I would be eager to watch on Thursdays at that time, period, actually (whereas when it was on Mondays it was up against other shows I also watch). That makes my choice all the easier.

Bottom line, though, I’ll watch “Sleepy Hollow” no matter what, ’cause I love the show with all its ups and downs, and want to support it for as long as it runs.

• Nick says:

Yeah, after Season 2 I’m going to give priority to The Blacklist. Good thing I have DVR!

• shellybot says:

ITA. It seems TPB at Fox in their infinite wisdom have decided to put Sleepy Hollow on Thursdays @ 9pm. It’s the same time slot as Scandal and The Blacklist. Sleepy Hollow is doomed. I liked this show. too bad so sad. :(

• Gwen says:

There is this great device. It’s called a DVR.

• Donald Incardona says:

you do know that DVR play backs don’t rate as high as live viewing right? go to school please. learn how it’s done.

• Angela says:

DVRs can mess up and don’t always work or record things properly, though. For instance, it seems if I try and record a show I have a series recording set for as well as another show I want to see (that’s NOT a series recording), the series one won’t record sometimes. It’ll say there’s a “fatal hardware error”.

And then not all of us have DVRs that can record more than two shows at a time, or can’t afford DVRs to begin with. So it’s not always an easy solution to these problems.

3. Brock says:

Love the idea of uninterrupted programming! Thank you, Fox, finally a decent decision!

4. Cass says:

I’m loving that networks are catching onto the fact that people want uninterrupted seasons of shows, or at least minimal interruptions. I would gladly wait 7 months to watch a show straight through than have it come out sporadically.

• AnnieM says:

Really! I think the old WB Network is to blame for this whole ‘split season’ crap; I remember way (lol?) back with them doing this to Buffy – last new ep in early November, and no new ones until late January/early February. At the time, I’m pretty sure they were the only ones I can recall doing this. Other networks actually had reruns during the holidays.

• Frankie707 says:

Cable has been doing split seasons with their original series for a few years now. It’s been working there, and I imagine that’s more likely where this idea has come from

• Cass says:

Cable networks have been running this method for the last few years and I think it’s great. When a show ends, they can either rerun it in entirety again, or they can put something new on. This year ABC has started toying with this idea, and I loved that I got to see 10 episodes of Agents of SHIELD with only one break, they filled in the space with limited series Agent Carter and have run the back half of the season almost straight through. What bugs me is when a show will have 2 new episodes, 2 repeats, 3 episodes, a repeat, etc. I didn’t mind watching reruns during the summer, but mid season just throws off the pacing of a show.

5. Sarah says:

Bones on Thursdays again. :(

• kmw says:

Yep majorly disappointed they didn’t move Bones. Fox clearly doesn’t care about Thursdays because though I love Bones they aren’t getting a better demo number than they are getting now. Sleepy Hollow might do alright only because TBL and Scandal have been struggling. I cannot wait to see New Girls number after their long layoff. Otherwise not surprised about anything else. ( Actually we should be happy we are getting Bones at all let alone in the fall seeing as how everyone thought they were getting pulled to mid season) Also surprised they didn’t put end date of Bones as well

6. Ian says:

Hopefully Scream Queens is up against some impossible competition from other networks during that slot. I need any and all Ryan Murphy projects to fail spectacularly. Not a great lead-in, so thats promising.

And with typical luck, Sleepy Hollow will probably manage to get its act together but fail anyway because of its time slot. But I’ll take a good final season of that show when it could have (deservedly) been cancelled this year.

• Francesca says:

If CW starts iZombie in fall, it will be against that. Not a hugely rated show (It’s CW), but it seems like an extremely similar demographic.

7. Carla Krae says:

Sleepy Hollow at 9pm on Thursdays? What the what? Do they want it to die?

8. Dean says:

I guess this means Lucifer and Frankenstien are either saved for November in case any of the shows mentioned don’t work out or held till midseason which case they’ll be cancelled given Fox’s track record with midseason shows.

• Patrick Ryan Williford says:

Empire and The Last Man On Earth wants to have a word with you

• Kubrick says:

2 shows out of how many in FOX’s run? The last mid season show that lived passed its first season before Empire and Last Man on Earth was that Terminator show back in 2008 and like many shows before it got cancelled because of FOX’s boneheaded decisions.

9. A says:

OMG why are Fox putting Bones on Thursday again and now poor Sleepy too….They should of grew a set and put Empire on Thursday, what are they so afraid off? Its their biggest show, it would of won the night.

10. Georgia Madman says:

I have Hulu so I don’t care what Sleepy Hollow is up against. Which is lucky fior Fox since I’d watch Blacklist if I had to make that choice.

11. Boiler says:

I’d like to see New Girl paired with Brooklyn 99 Sunday but hopefully this is the start of Fox trying to show uninterrupted shows and not the last season

• zac says:

i think they paired B99 during season 1 with new Girl but it didnt work. It actuallt fits with their sunday line

• Nick says:

I have a feeling that New Girl’s push back is partially to do with Zooey Deschanel’s pregnancy. They went directly into production on Season 5 to optimize their time, so it’s possible they’ll just air them in January when they’re all completed.

12. Joe says:

Was hoping to hear of the next installment of “24”…!!!

13. herman1959 says:

Unless they know something we don’t, Sleepy Hollow is going to be killed by the competition and Fox will cancel it. They can then claim that it was due to low ratings and not to the debacle that was last season. They are killing their own show…this is absolutely the worst.

14. Dude says:

Why has Fox absolutely wasted the opportunity to let their biggest show lead in one of their new series?

• Someone says:

You don’t mess with what’s currently working after a mid season run. That or the affiliates really want dem viewers for their 10pm news.

15. CJ says:

Rob Lowe had two shows picked up?? Are they going to recast his part on You, Me, and the End of the World or will he be able to somehow do both?

16. Joey Padron says:

I guess Gotham will take a long break after their fall finale for X-Files to take their timeslot and will come back in March. I hope John Stamos new show will do well at 8 pm on Tuesdays. poor Sleepy Hollow will have to compete with big shows on Thursday. glad they decided to end American Idol. the show had a long life on the network.

17. Mally says:

I can’t stand Fox. I always said after House and Bones (and now Sleepy Hollow) I will never watch a show on that network again. They can act like they aren’t to blame for Sleppy Hollow, but everyone will know the truth IF they end up cancelling it.

18. whatdwhat says:

Well, say goodbye to Sleepy Hollow and Bones. Fox is totally setting them up to fail. There’s no way Sleepy Hollow can compete with Scandal. There’s a tiny bit of leeway for anything up against Grey’s but I doubt putting on another 12 th season show the way to go. Besides, I’ll go with Grey’s every time out of loyalty.

19. janicekucera says:

I’m looking forward to the X-Files! Kinda upset it’s bowing on a Sunday night, (my The Walking Dead night), so I’ll miss that 1st show as I don’t have fancy equipment to record one & watch the other, but thankful it will settle into it’s regular slot of Monday’s! I CAN’T miss my The Walking Dead!!

20. Mr. Tran K says:

Blame Fox for moving Sleepy Hollow to Thursdays @ 9

21. Roberta says:

You cancelled the Following, so I’m canceling you. No Fox shows on my TV EVER

22. Justsomeguy says:

Too bad. I was hoping Sleepy Hollow could have a bit of a resurgence next season to solidify itself again. It’s dead before we even get to the fall.

For any network exec reading this: stop putting shows you actually want to succeed up against juggernauts. I realize you have to schedule something during prime time, but not a show you actually want to stick around. Scandal has dominated that slot for quite some time, and even though it too has lost a little bit of it’s demo and viewers, nothing else comes close to it. A lot of shows have tried to find a way into that spot, and I’ve yet to see it happen. The Blacklist lost viewers, and a huge chunk of the ratings demo it had by going up against it. Sleepy Hollow was a show already trying to re-establish itself after its disastrous season 2, but this will kill it off.

I’ll try to enjoy Season 3 as best I can though. I’m pretty sure it’s over for SH though.

23. Alichat says:

Sleepy Hollow on Thursday??? Why??! My Thursdays are already packed!

24. Jason Paul says:

SYTYCD is noted as reality on deck for ’16. I assume that means it is not renewed/cancelled but fate will be decided after the upcoming season’s ratings performance?

25. hipster says:

Empire on Wednesdays at 9p should be interesting. I want to see how it does against an aging ‘Modern Family’ and a buzzed first seasoned of ‘Blackish’… that’s if ABC sticks with that scheduling on their end.

26. TraciWells2 says:

The put sleepy hollow up against Scandal, The Blacklist, and Thurs Night NFL on CBS. I watch all of these. NFL live and dvr the rest. As long as FOX is not stuck on live ratings which is so old school, everything will be fine. Who actually sits down and watches a tv show with commercials live anymore?

• Rachel says:

I know seriously! I dvr everything so this isn’t a prob for me.

• Anthony says:

I got Optimum cause it lets me DVR shows at once, i canceled my HULU thanks to it. No more conflicting DVR.

• AnnieM says:

I forgot about football! Well, I guess my hubby will be watching it on the kitchen TV, as our DVR can only do 2 channels at a time, which will be for The Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow – 2 shows he & I watch together – so he can’t complain about kitchen football. lol!

• Angela says:

Who actually sits down and watches a tv show with commercials live anymore?
      Some people do. I DVR a lot of things, yes, but when I’m not working and able to watch a new episode of a show I like live, I sit down and actually watch it live, commercials and all. Not everyone is deep into the technological age in terms of how they watch shows now.

27. Ellinas78 says:

Official kiss of death for Sleepy Hollow. Might as well have cancelled it, the finale was adequate enough…

28. Ellinas78 says:

Better delete Sleepy Hollow from my DVR series now that I’m thinking about it so it doesn’t mess with the other recordings at that time.

29. AW says:

I’m going to see Sleepy Hollow and get recaps of the other TV shows online afterwards then.

30. Anthony says:

Why would they put Sleepy Hollow against Blacklist? Are you trying to get it canceled FOX?

31. Bonesfan47 says:

Darn I was hoping they would move Bones back to Mondays and pair it with Gotham as I don’t like that Bones is on Thursdays because the ratings right now with it on Thursdays keeps declining but when it was on Mondays it was at its best. I hate that they hatve Bones on at the same time as the shows on other networks that get the huge ratings like Greys and TBBT I don’t watch those shows but they always seem to have high numbers so I was really hoping Bones would go back to Monday nights as it always did it’s best and putting it with Gotham would have been really great.

• kmw says:

There was no chance Bones was going back to Monday but keeping it on Thursday is not good either. They should have put it back on Friday where it was doing alright before they yanked it again to Monday and then Thursday

32. Tea says:

Last Man on Earth starts this fall? Awesome. Will it stay 13 episodes? Or is there a chance for a full season?

33. Mary Richards says:

Backstrom one of the best! Sigh, I’ll still have Gotham and Sleepy Hollow, not much else.

34. Kate says:

Really?!?! You expect Sleepy Hollow to survive against Scandal?!?! Screw you Fox.

35. Terry says:

• Winnie says:

I guess I’m not a real Sleepy Hollow fan, as now I have every intention of just coming here to read Terry “shouting” at people in the comments section every Thursday night at 9 p.m. Sorry, Sleepy Hollow.

36. kmw says:

So The X-Files gets post NFC championship slot and then the next night another one. That leaves 4 episodes left. Its hard to get excited for a show that only has 6 episodes. Oh well I hope this works. FOX really didn’t do much creative with their schedule.

37. 'A' Has Been Revived says:

So will New Girl be doing 22-24 episodes in a straight-run like 30 Rock did in 2012 when they ran 22 episodes from January through May? Or will it be like 18 episodes? I know they filmed a few episodes this Spring so when they start production up in the late-Fall, Emily can still be on maternity leave (she’s missing 4 episodes). Either way, I’m sure it’ll be great. :3

• kmw says:

I am not sure how many they will get in but t think they have filmed 5 episodes so they could probably get 18 to 20 episodes. Zooey will be on maternity leave, not her sister Emily. Hopefully this late start works for show

38. DavidSask says:

Scream Queens will be only new fall show watching on Fox!

39. Mary S says:

WOW!! Fox will only get FOUR of my tv viewing hours, down from seven!! None of the new shows sounds even remotely interesting to me. Food Network, here I come! (and I do NOT like to cook – though watching others does fascinate me!)

40. B says:

I’m cutting Scandal and The Blacklist DVRing The Originals and watching Sleepy Hollow! I hate that all of my favorite shows are now on Thursdays this fall