The Following Cancelled at Fox

The Following Cancelled

The Following has been marked for death: Fox has cancelled the Kevin Bacon-fronted serial thriller after three seasons, TVLine has learned. The show’s two-hour series finale is slated to air on May 18.

The Following opened strong in January 2013, drawing north of 10 million viewers and then averaging 8 mil (with a 2.6 demo rating) across its freshman run. For Season 2, it averaged 5.2 mi and a 1.8 (yet scored an early pick-up). Season 3 opened with 4.8 mil/1.6, improving on Sleepy Hollow’s finale in the time slot, but at last tally the serial killer drama mustered barely 3 mil and a 1.1, the lowest-rated non-CW program on Monday night.

Bummed there won’t be a Season 4? Or was it time for The Following to get killed off Fox’s schedule? Hit the comments!

1. jim says:

The What?

2. alex says:

this show is nothing without joe anyway, best for it to end now.

3. h5n1 says:

finally…

4. Cat says:

Totally bummed! 😭

5. Mr. Tran K says:

This is the series that has “jump the shark” one too many times since its inception.

6. Britt says:

Why are you like this? I don’t go to the Bones renewal page and say “is this s*** still on?”
    I just stopped watching. Never said it should be cancelled just because I think it’s a bad show.

• wrstlgirl says:

People just love to rub salt in other people’s wounds. It makes them feel good and powerful. Sad really.

• Erik Bentsen says:

Good and powerful? Such false emotions. They would do better to go out and get some fresh air and get rid of that unhealthy pallor you get from living in basements.

7. H says:

Hope Hardy bites it in the finale.

8. Stephenie says:

Noooooooo! Guess I can watch one of the hundreds of supposedly reality shows that SUCK.

9. Another show that the writing ideas ran dry on. What happened to all the great writers out there? Is nobody writing anymore because the networks won’t pay them decently? Is the supply of good writers drying up? Are there so many shows to write for that there aren’t enough good writers to go around? Any ideas?

10. Isa says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

11. Sharon Ippolito says:

no surprise and i’m not disappointed, been a huge fan since day 1 but when they killed Joe, that was the end! The show is called The FOllowing after joe’s followers , no joe no show! logical.

12. Flashrow says:

I hope it means that Kevin Williamson is coming back to Vampire Diaries to fix the mess that Julie Plec and Caroline Dries have created.

• Liz says:

Seriously agree with the vampire diaries comment. Show has not been as good since he left. But I like the following and I’m sad to see it go

13. NO! NO! NO! Now I’m grieving. I’m done watching Fox. They have done this before with a show I liked. I hope they go down the tube.

14. Glen Williams says:

Another one I watched..goodbye

15. Dion says:

Really FOX, it was one of the best shows you had! Who wants to see another season of Bones?

• AB says:

freaking seriously!!!!!!!!!! bones gets old so fast. I honestly have cried so much today once i heard the news.

16. Gwenna says:

Appreciate the talents of Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy but haven’t followed
    The Following since the end of season 1…Sorry Kev but No tears here…

17. Dean says:

Sad but expected.

18. Jon says:

The Following had it coming. The show literally did not focus on character development/relationships at all. Really enjoyed the whole Claire/Joe/Ryan dynamic but they just killed it all but not knowing how to move it forward. Better it ends now.

• Olivia says:

IA. Other dynamics including Joe’s son and Emma (loved that psycho) were compelling. I LOVED the addition of Jessica Stroup though. But early Following was the best. They also lost an opportunity to use Gina more, I thought/hoped they’d go further with the “I’ll risk my career covering for you so you better succeed”.
      It ended up being just another cop show and lost its originality and edge, that’s why it failed imo.

• maz says:

I Totally agree with you Jon, it also got very predictable.

19. I like to think that the show is going out on its best season yet, though I would have loved to see more of the show of course!

20. Amber says:

I don’t understand why they wait so long to decide to pick up or cancel a show. They should decide in Feb at least so then the writers could write a satisfying finale. It drives me crazy when you cant get a conclusion to a show

21. kirads09 says:

Not surprising. I do love Kevin. I thought the basic premise was great. S1 was good. But I feel it has gone sideways from there. Don’t see how it could go on very long without Purefoy as Joe anyway.

22. Jerry says:

Great show, hate to see it end. Think Fox could find some other shows to end and keep this one!!!

23. Amanda says:

Well, crap. I sort of stopped watching this season but I was gonna catch up. I’ll watch them all in time for the series finale. I guess it was starting to get bad?

• Keagan McInnis says:

I think there should definitely be a season 4, with all the suspense after Ryan feel into the river and came back without anyone knowing. There needs to be a season 4 to finish out the suspense, people who have seen everything after Joe know that The Following is still extremely good

24. Mic says:

I just want to thank The Following for helping me get through so much. The Following has always been my favorite thing in the whole world and I don’t care what any haters say. The Following has gotten me through so tough times and has always helped me! I have always been obsessed with this show and will continue to watch all the seasons over the years. Thank you so much The Following. You will be missed tremendously :(

25. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what the hell wrong with them

26. Ben P. says:

Sorry to see the following go. Would like to have seen at least one more year

• chris says:

Will miss it. I hope they close it out the right way….I will miss this show..Yes I’m sick lol

27. I MISS NEAL!DO YOU?

28. Jami says:

As sad as I am to see it go, it just wasn’t the same once the story didn’t center around Joe and his “Following”!

29. Liz says:

LOVE Kevin Bacon…and initially LOVED this show, but unfortunately, it became dull and redundant. The story line with Purefoy somehow remaining a part of Bacon’s psyche post mortem…well, it just reeked of stupidity, which is a shame considering how the show so brilliantly began. All the best to the talented cast, particularly Bacon and Purefoy. I hope to find them elsewhere soon.

30. thisismenow says:

At least all the shows I watch are getting cancelled left and right. I might actually get stuff done on week nights now. TV Network just keep showing me they care. Helping me to get over my TV addiction. <3

31. the april says:

So upset about this! They need at least one more season to tie off loose ends!

32. Donna says:

The Following is one of the best written shows on TV. Intriguing, dark, not unlike Breaking Bad. Hopefully it will be continued somewhere.

33. Robin Castle says:

It’s time. Without Joe or Strauss there’s really nothing left of the “original” concept. And having 2 characters (1 main and the other secondary) having split personality disorders shows a real lack of imagination. Why don’t they just have a whole show on that premise? oh wait.. they’re headed that way. It was good while it lasted but nothing lasts forever. I’m ready for the end.

• D Searle says:

totally agree…..it was getting way to ‘the same’ and violent. They lost the cleverness they had in the first series. Poor old Ryan became almost as psycho as the rest of them. A fond farewell.

34. Chris says:

At least there’s still Hannibal!

• Marcie says:

The execs at FOX are morons. What more is there to say? It baffles me that you would cancel this show when so many people are watching it. Have they looked at what is on during that time period that would cause ratings to dip? Sports, maybe. Lord Stanley’s Cup is up for grabs, Just sayin’!

35. I hope hulu brings it back, this is so sad.

36. Roberta says:

I will miss Kevin Bacon on my screen every week.

37. Kris says:

I really enjoyed this show. I’m sorry to see it go. They’ll probably put on another reality show.

38. Pamela Schultz says:

Please, please, don’t cancel my favorite show! It keeps me on the edge every week! You can’t do this to us

39. queenbrat says:

I feel like the show lost its spark. I still liked it and watched it though. They could have had Joe fake his death and stick around. And maybe he did, who knows. So more story possibilities were there. But Ryan acting like a crazy person doesn’t work for me.

40. Elaine says:

After 5 episodes, I thought the drama was too gory and decided to stop watching. When week 6 rolled around, I couldn’t avoid it. Still gory – absoutely! Despite that, the show was well written, directed, and acted. Actually, in my opinion second only to NCIS. I’m not too surprised it was cancelled, though. Just lost too many viewers because of the ‘sick’ villans and all the blood. Too bad, Kevin, Sean, and company. Hope to see you in something else soon.

41. I Believe says:

I’m really sad that it’s going because they could have handled the premise so much better. Unfortunately, they took the very best actors and characters, starting from season one, and killed them off one by one. The writers took all Ryan’s biggest challenges away and left him adrift until there was Joe. By then…he turned to mush, a broken drinking man, and let’s not forget…admittedly to Joe at the end, became just like him! WTF? The show had such potential up until the end of the second season. After that ending, it just plain got weird, but Joe never lost his edge. Killing him…killed the show. Sad, I really did like it too. Kevin is a great actor, but he can’t carry a show alone.

42. Marilyn Hay says:

FOXTV keeps bleeding viewers. With The Following canceled, maybe to get millions of viewers back, they should reconsider the arbitrary cancellation of Almost Human last spring. Michael Ealy will be once again available, as I’d think would the other key players. Put that show in a reasonable timeslot and watch the millions upon millions of viewers come back. (Remember, it was critics’ fav in 2013/14, tied with Castle (now going into season 8) at 29 of 50 top shows on tv, did better in the ranking than Bones, now going into 11th season on FOXTV, was 4th top drama and 7th top show of all FOXTV programming, so a solid top ten show for them, and was critically acclaimed with a good number of awards nominations and wins for work behind and in front of the camera). JHWyman had a five year plan so there’s lots more story to tell and, so far, he’s not yet signed into any other show running contract. Time to act FOXTV (specifically, meaning Peter Rice, the CEO who personally went out of his way to cancel the top 10 show).

• Dragonfly says:

OMG!!! MY thoughts exactly, they should renew Almost Human instead of The Following, it was good as a stand alone one season series. Can I have my AH duo back?

43. haymarilyn7 says:

44. Dani says:

truly one Of best, well-written shows on tv. The show changed wo joe as the staple serial killer, but that was the point. The irony is that that’s the arc of a well written Poe story-what seems the same must not be the same…

45. that is awful about these show i watch the following , state of affairs good shows why is it everytime a show comes on they end up canceling it not right.

46. violet2015 says:

I enjoyed it.! Fox will put something dumb in its place!

47. The Count says:

What other show is going to give me my weekly dose of basements and dark rooms? This is a disaster!

48. Chris Hughes says:

with Out Joe Carroll theres no point Having a S4

• cerealkiller3495 says:

I’m sorry but the “geniuses” who say that since Joe was gone it should end totally miss the point, Strauss was a follower of the new mysterious group, Joe was a follower of Strauss and then you had Joe’s followers, it was pretty much a season by season of peeling back the layers and going deeper and deeper and if you watched the show and couldn’t realize that then maybe you shouldn’t comment on shows that you don’t understand

49. mark says:

Bring back the following fox gotta be stupid first gang related now this I’m done with fox

50. Georgia says:

Enjoyed the Following, but Kevin Bacon did plan to only do this as a mini-sereis — one season, but it was extended. Hoping the finale gives us closure. Look forward to his return to a new series one day. Hopefully, on cable though. His wife Kira Sedgwick and he seem to take turns with projects. TNT has picked up two new series: Proof and Public Morals, produced by Kira Sedgwick and actor, Ed Burns, Will be great seeing Kira on the TV screen again! Did enjoy her this season with an occasional appearance on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

• AB says:

sorry but who gives a rats ass if it was “intended” to be a mini-series. It was brilliant and an instant hit. Wonderful, captivating shows like this with die-hard “followers” should NOT be canceled after 3 seasons.