ABC Renews Castle, Secrets and Lies, Nashville, Galavant, S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter and 16 Other Series

Newsletter Featured Post Image

ABC handed out renewal notices late Thursday, formally ordering second seasons of rookie series Secrets and Lies, black-ish, Fresh Off the BoatHow to Get Away With Murder, American Crime, Galavant and Marvel’s Agent Carter, as well as established bubble dramas Nashville (for Season 4) and Castle (for Season 8).

Additionally, the network has greenlit a third season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., a fifth season of Once Upon a Time, a 12th season of Grey’s Anatomy, a fifth season of Scandal, a third season of The Goldbergs, a seventh season of Modern Family and a seventh season of The Middle.

On the reality front, ABC has picked up a 21st season of Dancing With the Stars, a 20th season of The Bachelor, a 26th season of America’s Funniest Home Videos, a seventh season of Shark Tank, and a second season of Beyond the Tank.

Last but not least, 20/20 has also been renewed.

ABC, meanwhile, has cancelled ForeverCristela, Resurrection, Revenge and The Taste. The fate of Last Man Standing remains up in the air.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. DarkDefender says:

Yay Castle! (And SHIELD). :D

• Jim says:

But booooooo!!! on Forever.

• Ang says:

Yeah! I like Forever! If a show has a little humor or lightness to it, it just doesn’t make it! Got to be dark, guts and gore!

• On ABC? Because you have Castle, which is entering its 8th season and is definitely a light-hearted cop show.

On other networks there’s been plenty of examples. I’ve never watched Forever so I can’t comment on its quality, but your point is not valid.

• Huskygrl says:

Actually I think Ang does have a point because Castle is a rare exception, most crime shows are perennially negative/gorey. Even Bones which is most like Castle in terms of lighter elements, is far more gorey than Forever. Also Forever contained a nice portion of period pieces and thoughtful commentary that most other shows lack. So I think to say Ang’s is invalid, is in fact invalid.

Thank you to the case and crew of Forever for an enjoyable, out of the box show, you will be missed!

• Mari says:

Its sad to see forever go…my kids love seeing forever. They got me watching the show. They love the humor, the way Henry solves the murders and they especially love the Jack the Ripper story line. They won’t be happy to know their show has been. Cancelled neither will their friends :(

• jennifer o'hanlon says:

don’t think this should be cancelled an excellent series

• JBC says:

FOREVER CAST & CREW you were GREAT! Clever writing and personable characters will be missed. Sad for the cancellation. Hope some other network will pick it up.

• Maria says:

Kinda feels like ABC had a party and invited everybody but the Forever fans.

• dale says:

Come on, if Unforgettable can come back twice.. there’s hope… also Netflix has a tendency to pick up recently cancelled shows. I.E Longmire.

• justjesse74 says:

I completely agree, it was a great show, lighthearted and funny. Plus: I LOVED seeing Judd Hirsch back on t.v.

• kayb says:

I’ll second this! I’m crushed to think that the recent season finale will also be the Forever series finale. Fingers crossed that someone will pick it up!

• Margaret Karsten says:

I loved the father/son relationship with Judd’s comment. Perhaps USA will pick it up.

2. Elsa says:

So so happy for Nashville! I was a little worried!

• Ben says:

It was in the nice syndication zone, but I was a little worried too.

• Eric S. says:

You shouldn’t have been worried. As Ben already stated, syndication saved it. It won’t be as lucky next season if the ratings don’t improve.

• TV Gord says:

Yeah, because hour-long serialized dramas do so well in syndication. (eye roll)

• jbj says:

I think the music sales also helped, but serials can do well on specialized cable networks. All those Aaron Spelling primetime soaps were popular on SoapNet. Nashville could definitely work in syndication on networks like CMT or VH1.

• MrMank says:

Also, since so many stations do marathon blocks of shows nowadays (3, 4, or more hours at a clip), serialized dramas may do better in those situations.

• Whatever the reason, I am thrilled Nashville was renewed! ABC renewed everything I wanted them to, so I’m happy with these announcements.

• Ziyal says:

Me too! So thrilled :)

3. A says:

Yaaaay season 8 of Castle! (Now we wait for contract negotiations to finish. *sigh*)

• Badpenny says:

One has to wonder, since Stana just got married last month, if she even wishes to come back for Season 8.

• rowan77 says:

I don’t think her getting married would dictate whether or not she wants to go back for season 8. Whatever the reason, any leverage she would have had with the studio is gone now that they’re going ahead with or without her. If I were her, I’d come back for this one last season. It’s not like she’s getting tons of offers right now.

• Badpenny says:

You do realize she is currently shooting a movie, right? She does more work off-season then the rest of the Castle cast.

• rowan77 says:

What is she shooting. There is nothing in production with her name on it. She shot supporting roles in a film in 2011 and 2012, and one that was shot last year and is in post now. Nathan has a project in production, one in pre-production and two that came out this year alone. I’m not knocking Stana. I like her, but she doesn’t have a ton of projects in the pipeline.

• Badpenny says:

IMDB is not always correct or updated.

• NF and SK fan always says:

They all work hard during their time off, as for the movie I know nothing about it, hope she does well in it.

• Jennifer says:

Stana is filming a movie called the Tourist I read.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Still not seeing any possible correlation.

• Badpenny says:

My point was maybe she is sick of 14 hour days. She is married, prefers to spend more time with her husband. Maybe do additional shorter movie projects, etc.

• Just one thing says:

Wouldn’t an unmarried actress be able to make that assessment just as well as a married actress?

• Badpenny says:

My point was maybe she would like to spend more time with a new husband. She just turned 37, so maybe think about a family. She has money from 7 Seasons, she is still making movies. 14 hour days might not be what she wants right now.

• BM says:

I would think if she were sick of the long days and preferred to spend more time with her husband she wouldn’t have started contract negotiations in the first place. Why bother if you don’t consider coming back?

• Eric S. says:

I don’t get your points either. This will probably be her last big pay day. She should take advantage of it. i fully expect her back for next season. One more season and they can end it.

• Mary says:

I don´t see any sense in your point – when she started negotiating she knew she was goint to get married and was already working 14 hour days, if she wanted to spend more time with her husband why did she even bother negotiating?!

• cmp says:

She and her husband have been together for 9 years. If she is not re-signing it has nothing to do with getting married. I think she thinks she has other opportunities available.

• paula says:

Having heard almost the same comments for several actresses in similar situations I think everyone should consider several factors. Stana is at a stage in her career that she should be able to cut back a little but still come back to work and at an age she is making that decision to have kids or not. Everyone got so vocal when Sasha Alexander walked away from NCIS but she married, had kids and still came back to work on Rizzoli and Isles. Having much of a life outside work is hard when you’re filming an hour show and working all the time. Also by starting negotiations Stana can see what the show would offer her – maybe an incentive to do just one more season and wrap things up. By being willing to talk it gives the network more reason to work with her in future. Just walking away without an negotiations can get an actress a reputation for being hard to work with.

• Joe says:

They do not ‘work’ 14 hours. They’re away from home for 14 hours during which, they take naps so they can spend more awake time at home.

They ‘work’ maybe 4-5 hours. The producers, directors, writers, gaffers, contractors, etc… WORK 12 hour days. Most professional people in the corporate world put in 10-12 hours at work plus an hour or two commuting yet earn 1% of the ‘actors’ salary.

• Karen says:

It’s a new marriage, but not a new-ish relationship. She got married to a “long-time boyfriend”. I don’t think this marriage will be a factor in whether she comes back or not.

• Just one thing says:

• paula says:

OK people if you’re away from home so many hours a day where is there time to have a home life? Yes, they make a lot of money but spend a lot on managers, assistants, drivers, housekeepers, nannies, etc. so they can spend all those hours on set. She’s worked and made money and maybe wants a little more normal life now.

• John NYC says:

how much of the year do they shoot on that schedule? The rest of the year is completely free. Nice work if you can get it.

• mark says:

Very disapointed about Forever. any insights as to why after running a whole season? any possibility of a pick up on another outlet?

• collectcall says:

Just a little typo, in the byline on the preview to this article you have Marvel’s Agents of Carter; thought you might want to know. =]

• Mary says:

If she is negotiating, I believe it´s a clear sign that she does want to come back – at least I think when you don´t want one thing you just leave it!

• Heather says:

The Hollywood Reporter is, well, reporting that Stana has signed a new deal and that a showrunner has been selected (Barry Schindel, who was with the show in the first season).

• NF and SK fan always says:

great news, if you believe them, sorry for me don’t trust all that I read-not yet, anyway can’t wait! Go season 8! We okay I love you guys. And yes congrats!

• Heather says:

You were right not to trust that report- they’ve revised the story to say that only Nathan has re-signed (but of course “sources” say that Stana is close to a new deal). They’ve also removed the info about Barry Schindel and said that it’s “rumored” that AWM may be back for an abbreviated season. The bottom line is that no one really knows yet!

• Huskygrl says:

While I’m a huge Castle fan and glad it was renewed, I don’t think it will be the show I love without Stana. I do hope they get her back. Any scenario that explains Beckett’s absence will leave the show without it’s “happy” side and would ruin the show for me.

4. ScrubsGuy says:

Go Agent Carter!

5. xx says:

Very pleasant surprise.

6. LADY_in_MD says:

Ok while I’m glad a lot of shows I watch on abc got renewed I am more shocked that Americas Funniest videos has been on for 26 years that makes me feel old 😕

• Angela says:

LOL, I know, right? I’ve been around four years longer than that series has. That’s…weird to think about.
      Also, am I alone in being amused that “Last Man Standing” appears to be…well…the last one standing in terms of renewal news :p?
      Anyway, as for the renewals themselves, very surprised about “American Crime”, but that’s cool. I’d be interested to see what kind of story they’d tackle next season. And I missed out on checking out “Agent Carter”, but with all the good things I’ve heard about it and the fact that it’s been renewed, looks like I know what I’ll be doing this summer :).
      Yay for fans of all the other shows that were renewed, and to those whose favorite shows weren’t, I’m sorry. I have a friend who loved “Forever”, and I don’t know if she’s heard the news yet and I don’t want to be the one to break it to her :(.

• NF and SK fan always says:

now I feel even older, wow and I thought the Simpson’s was old! (i was nine when funniest started it’s run). I can’t believe the ages of all of these shows! Congrats to all of the ones renewed. And for “forever” I’m heartbroken……

7. Teri says:

Thank goodness Castle got renewed!

8. Monica4185 says:

Yes! Nashville and Agent Carter got renew.

9. Kevin H. says:

10. Ruth says:

No Forever??!! How sad:(

11. Lina says:

I am so happy about Fresh Off the Boat and relieved about Nashville!

12. alex says:

YES! agent carter renewed!

13. Texcastle says:

About time Castle Season 8. What about Stana ?

14. RedReddington says:

So happy SHIELD was renewed. One of the best shows on TV.

15. Jennifer McKenna says:

yay!! So happy to see Gallavant, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Castle, and OUAT got renewed. Very happy girl right here!!!

16. Et Al says:

Lots of great news here but holy cow – American Crime and Galavant and pleasant, pleasant, surprises. And yay for FOtB (I was a little worried).

17. Sam says:

Amazing! So happy about Castle and The Middle and Nashville … Others also but I was worried about those three.

18. Larc says:

Yay for Galavant! I may be the only one saying that, but I love the music.

19. James Cusano says:

My wife and I really enjoyed Forever. It sucks that they cancel it and keep some of the other crap on. Makes no sent to me…

• prish says:

I’m with you on that. Loved Forever and will forever. Hopefully, some Google owner will be a fan and fund a revival, if not immediate renewal. Hope springs eternal and forever!

• I completely agree as well. I mean seriously, GALAVANT? Are you kidding me??????? I couldn’t even watch more than 5 minutes of that joke of a show but yet they cut Forever? Judd Hirsch and Ioan Grufford were great and the chemistry was just starting to get really good between Henry and Jo! So disappointed in ABC!

• James says:

It’s ratings were not that great, it was not attracting the 18-49.

20. Felicia says:

So disappointed that Castle was renewed. The second half of last season and all of this season is textbook “how to ruin a great show.” It jumped the shark a long time ago. It’s too bad the powers that be didn’t recognize that and give it a merciful end.

• Kristine says:

• Just one thing says:

While I agree with you from a creative standpoint, Castle is the one of few ABC Studios shows in syndication. That’ll change in several months, I guess. But given the performance of their other shows, it became clear over the last few months that Castle was a natural business decision.
      It will be interesting to see how the new showrunner shakes things up.

• cece says:

Don’t know what show you watched but it is one of the only good shows left on a regular t.v . network and looking forward too season#8

• NF and SK fan always says:

you got that right! One of the best still left, although I was liking “forever” just as much as “castle”!

• John NYC says:

Disappointed? So you are involved with a show that was competing for that time slot on ABC?*

My sympathies.

* Otherwise just switch channels or go outside and you’ll not have to suffer while others who enjoy the show carry on. As a thought.

• NF and SK fan always says:

I have mixed feelings about the show, on one hand happy that it got renewed but on the other, sad cause I’m not sure that a new show-runner can change anything around for it. That will have to be seen, but I guess miracles do happen!

• weesa21 says:

Couldn’t agree more with this comment! The show has been going downhill since the middle of S5. The S6 finale was the kick over the edge. Its very unfortunate because It used to be a great show. Its not the same show I used to look forward to watching every Monday. Not even a new writing team can help at this point Imo. Also, it appears Stana Katic has not signed anything or if she has they’re withholding it. I’m not convinced that she even wants to come back. Her actions and words as of late lead me to believe that she is ready to move on and work on other projects and I don’t blame her especially if its about the story and leaving on a high note for her then it makes sense for her to cut ties now. Plus ABC renewing the show without a contract signed from her tells me that yes they may be overly confident that she will make a deal but that they’d be willing to try the show without her if she doesnt sign. She’s off in a different country for personal matters and to film a new movie and filming for S8 would start in 2 months so at this point I believe she has probably made her decision. If she was going to sign she would’ve signed before she peaced out for the next 2 months. I will however gladly eat my words if im wrong and she does indeed sign. I will believe it when I see from a reputable source such as ABC. Her contract is officially up after the S7 finale Monday and the upfronts are Tuesday so I would think things would be clarified as to her status next week sometime.

• Kathie says:

You can’t possibly be watching the same show Castle fans are watching.

• NF and SK fan always says:

yes some of it wasn’t all that great at times, but at other it was great…..but just because you didn’t like it, there are plenty of folks, including myself who love the show! so if you hate it then you are the one that needs to move on and let us enjoy it however long it does last!

21. Meg says:

Galavant was renewed? Excellent!

22. Matthew Weber says:

Yes! Castle! Do we know if it’s a full season? there was some speculation that it might be a partial season.

I also expect that they are confident they can bring Stana back. they wouldn’t continue without her.

23. LE says:

Yesss!!! For Grey’s, HTGAWM, Goldbergs, SHIELD, Agent Carter, OUAT, Nashville and Fresh off the Boat!

24. Dj says:

I wonder if the Carter news means the Shield spin off and the other secret marvel show aren’t going to get picked up.

• Tenney says:

That is what Deadline is reporting. If it’s true, I think that is a good decision. Bobbi and Lance help make AOS a better show, and I really do like them with the rest of the AOS gang.

• Alyssa says:

Me too. I feel like they add something different and needed to the SHIELD team. I just can’t see them on their own show. I prefer for them to stay where they’re at.

25. Jane says:

If Bachelor is renewed, does that mean Bachelorette is also renewed?

26. Ray says:

Relieved about Nashville.

27. Tara says:

Who do we email/call/tweet to get “Forever” un-cancelled?!?!? Heartbroken!!

28. Stephanie says:

Galavant and Agent Carter!!! Awesome!!!!

29. Thrilled for Agent Carter but so sad for Forever

30. Alichat says:

I’m terribly excited about Agent Carter!!!….but how in the hell did Galavant get renewed and Forever was cancelled? Galavant was awful.

• prish says:

Ahhh, you said it for all of us.

• Isaac says:

Galavant was a 4 weeks filler while Forever was full season show 😔

• Alichat says:

True….but most likely just as expensive….if not more….than the full season of Forever.

• John NYC says:

Were Forever shot in NYC, as it looked to be with all those exterior shots, then that’s an expensive place to do television…

• Alichat says:

Yes, it was shot in NY. And Galavant was shot in the UK. Both expensive compared to other shooting locations. For Galavant, I was also taking into account the expense of the guest stars, song composers, and costuming. Although, Forever had a costuming expense as well for its period flashbacks.

• kathyb1953 says:

Agreed. I expected the cancellation but am still sad.

• Serenity says:

Totally agree! Forever has a great cast and interesting storylines.Galavant isn’t even close to that and they give it a second season. Grrr, so not happy!

• murley says:

I guess it is all about personal taste. I absolutely loved Galavant and it was one of the shows I was most hoping would get renewed. I never watched forever (except for the part that recorded after Sheild) so I can’t say if it was, in my opinion, good or bad but it did seem a little cheesy from the little I saw. Cheesy is fun sometimes though. Anyway I feel for Forever fans, it sucks when a show you love is cancelled. Been there. But don’t begrudge those of us who are happy our show got renewed even if you didn’t like it.

31. Mr. Tran K says:

The waiting game is now over for ABC. Happy to hear the news about the renewals of Castle, Fresh Off the Boat, both Marvel series (SHIELD and Carter) and several others but wasn’t happy about the return of shows like American Crime and Secrets and Lies and let’s not forget about the fact that Galavant is coming back (OH MY MORE SINGING KNIGHTS).

• Megan says:

American Crime is a stellar production. Plus HTGAWM is set to only have the same number of episodes each season as this first season. Having a limited series such as American Crime is ideal. I watch every week and it’s an excellent addition to the TGIT lineup for the back end of the season.

32. Galavant?! What a pleasant surprise! I wasn’t expecting that one!

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

YAY…..Galavant and Secrets and Lies is coming back for S2’s!!!! Of course OUAT and HTGAWM is renewed as well VERY happy can’t wait to see these shows again!!!

33. Kate says:

I can’t be excited about Castle until I know that Stana Katic will be back. Do we have any information about that?

• NF and SK fan always says:

saw, okay heard rumors (that she will be back) but nothing official yet. As for a new show runner, I don’t know if he (i think it’s a he-don’t know them) can change it around or not so, I’m not sure that I will be around all season 8! but it is what it is, I just hope it’s going to be good, it will be interesting to see at the least!

34. prish says:

Shocked at Agent Carter’s renewal, but pleased. I guess they have to get some things, right, occasionally.

35. bj says:

Yea, Castle, Shield, and Agent Carter!!

36. Gail says:

Yes to Galivant and Agent Carter. They warmed cold winter nights.

37. Blue Note says:

You left out that ABC (the M.F.s)cancelled Revenge, the best show they had.

• Donna says:

I loved Revenge & never missed a show. However, as much as it hurts “Revenge” has finally ran its course. Show was well done!!!

• Linda says:

I totally agree Blue Note. Revenge was the BEST show on tv. If they had stayed with what got them there viewers wouldn’t have dropped. They should have left Ems with her red sharpie and her best friend Nolan and let Amanda stay dead. I heard they lost the main writer, but even I could have told them where to go next. There was so much left for storylines….come on ABC wise up for a change.

38. Kristen says:

Yay Nashville!!!!!!!!!!

39. Em says:

Really disappointed about Forever being canceled! It was one of my favorite shows this year.

40. TC says:

Yeah! The Middle! It’s an incredibly underrated show that manages to make me laugh week after week. It’s well written with a fabulous cast. It is one of the only shows I can’t miss

• misery chick says:

ITA!!! The guy who are plays Axl is PERFECT as an extremely bratty self-absorbed older brother…love him! And soooo glad my brothers are pretty much out of that stage…

41. erika says:

Horray for Fresh Of The Boat.
    Surprisingly American Crime,Agent Carter and Galavanat renewed.

42. Linda says:

43. Dar Palmer says:

Thank u ABC for giving Castle another season!!!!! But we need to have Stana back too. The whole cast is important.

• Kate says:

She’s coming back! :-)

• weesa21 says:

I love how people are so confident she’s coming back yet there is no proof. There have been so many subtle signs from her recently that make it seem like she’s moving on. If I had to make a bet I would say she’s not going to sign.

• John NYC says:

Would ABC really officially renew the show with half the leads not signed or expected to sign? if it were that obvious to the decision makers then they’re envisioning a show that will undergo a major retooling? Practically a new pitch. I wonder if the show pitched a Beckett-less show to the network as an option and they agreed with it.

• weesa21 says:

That’s possible. With Nathan having signed they may feel they can rework the show somehow to make it work. With ABC cancelling a few of their other shows such as Revenge they may do whatever is necessary to keep Castle around in whatever capacity they can so they don’t have to cancel another show. Imo it just appears like Stana Katic is done and ready to move on if she hasn’t done so already.

• NF and SK fan always says:

the only problem with that thinking, the using NF only (main character) is that the show will not last till the winter break, if that and it’s a big gamble. Most fans didn’t watch just for him only, they wanted a love story and you can’t have half of one! but then again I could be wrong…..And another thing is that the 2ndary Characters (as much as I love them) can’t carry the show either-they didn’t develop them the right way. This is not a show that can move on if half the team is not there, that was the point of the show. They could try it but I don’t see how they could write her completely out of the show without replacing her or killing her off. And for me I wont watch it. I loved both of them and I wanted to have both of them finish the journey but what do I know I’m just a loyal fan from the beginning…..

44. Fran says:

I knew it was coming with Forever but I’m still really sad about it.

45. sabiner72 says:

Forever-I am bummed!!

46. BrightLight says:

Have to say I’m shocked (but deliriously happy) that Galavant and American Crime will be back. It’ll be interesting to see what crime will be in Season 2 since AC is an anthology series.
    SOOOO glad The Goldbergs and The Middle will be back. LOVE both of those immensely. Guess I’ll catch up on Carter, Fresh Off The Boat and Secrets and Lies this summer since most of the summer series look like a bust for me.

• misery chick says:

I’m hoping they can find a way to bring back Timothy Hutton’s character, Russ Skokie, on the next season of AC. He’s phenomenal, even a new character would make me happy 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

47. Rae says:

Agent Carter!!!!!!!!! I can not contain my glee!!

48. kenzie says:

yay i love Nashville i have had bad luck with my shows revenge and Dallas and Nashville was the only show that i have left and I’m glad it gets to stick around for another year and hopefully for more to come

49. crtc says:

Yay!!! I was worried about Nashville, nothing else is too much of a surprise… Seriously doubt I’ll be watching Castle if Beckett doesn’t come back though :(