Justified, Broad City, Empire, Mom, 24, Jane the Virgin, Transparent Lead the 2015 Critics Choice Nominations

Critics Choice TV Nominations 2015

The critics are out for (new) blood!

Nominations for the fifth annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards were announced Wednesday, and the list is chock-full of first-time nominees from rookie hits and established series.

In something of a surprise, FX’s Justified parlayed widespread acclaim for its final season into a leading five nominations, including best drama series, lead actor for Timothy Olyphant, supporting actor for Walton Goggins (who’s also up for his guest work on Sons of Anarchy), supporting actress for Joelle Carter and guest performer for Sam Elliott.

Following closely behind with four nods apiece were FX’s The Americans, CBS’ The Good Wife and Amazon’s Transparent.

Transparent was one of several freshman series scoring multiple nominations. Others include ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder, The CW’s Jane the Virgin, HBO’s The Leftovers, HBO’s Togetherness and Fox’s breakout hit Empire (which nabbed nods for best drama series and actress for Taraji P. Henson.

CBS’ Mom cracked the best comedy series category for the first time (last year’s supporting actress winner Allison Janney is back in contention), as did FX’s You’re the Worst. Meanwhile, NBC’s Parenthood saw its farewell season recognized with two acting nominations (for Craig T. Nelson and Mae Whitman).

In addition to the aforementioned Carter, Henson, Nelson and Whitman, first-time nominees include Eva Green (for Showtime’s Penny Dreadful), Viola Davis (for ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder), Bob Odenkirk (for AMC’s Better Call Saul), Aden Young (for SundanceTV’s Rectify), Carrie Coon and Christopher Eccleston (for HBO’s The Leftovers), Katheryn Winnick (for History’s Vikings), Lorraine Toussaint (for Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black), Ben Mendelsohn (for Netflix’s Bloodline), Anthony Anderson (for ABC’s Blackish), Jeffrey Tambor (for Amazon’s Transparent), Will Forte (for Fox’s The Last Man on Earth), Constance Wu (for ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat), Gina Rodriguez and Jaime Camil (for The CW’s Jane the Virgin), Lisa Kudrow (for HBO’s The Comeback), Tituss Burgess (for Netflix’s The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) and Melanie Lynskey (for HBO’s Togetherness), among others.

Several of last year’s big winners failed to score a nomination this time around. Included in that list are Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany, Scandal‘s Bellamy Young, Orange Is the New Black‘s Uzo Aduba and Big Bang Theory‘s Jim Parsons.

On the movie/limited series front, ABC’s struggling American Crime put in a strong showing, as did Fox’s well-received revival of 24.

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association — of which TVLine’s Michael Ausiello serves on the executive committee and Matt Webb Mitovich is a member — will announce the winners at a Sunday, May 31 awards gala broadcast live on A&E (8/7c).

Scan the complete list of nominations below and then hit the comments and let us know what you think!

BEST DRAMA SERIES

The Graham Norton Show
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
The Late Late Show with James Corden
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1. Travis says:

Constance Wu’s nomination is well deserved. Congratulations.

2. guest says:

really excited about Eva Green… hopefully this will help get her name out there for an Emmy nomination… still think Taraji will win but she deserves to be nominated.

3. Ben says:

I am so happy for the underrated Parenthood, Mom and Silicon Valley!!

4. Neki says:

Eden Sher :)

5. Lena120 says:

I hope the Emmy’s take a page from the critics’ book. So many dream nominees, especially Charlie Hunnam and Walton Goggins’ with his double nominations.

6. Very disappointed that Outlander, one of the outstanding new shows this year, didn’t get a single nomination. Tobias Menzies, Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe all should have been nominated (supporting for Tobias, leads for Sam and Caitriona). I hope the Emmys rectify this! And Phil Keoghan from Amazing Race? Really? Cardboard standup.

• Joru95 says:

Hell yes! So happy for Justified it deserves more recognition

I’m still sad that it has ended

• Court says:

I was really hoping for this as well. Oh well. Maybe next year!

I definitely love most of the noms though!

• DH says:

Is it possible it wasn’t eligible because, technically, its first season hasn’t finished its run yet? I can’t imagine it wouldn’t get some kind of nomination otherwise.

• Jo Ann says:

I am wondering, too, about the eligibility of Outlander. The CCTA year runs from June 1, 2014 through May 31, 2015. The first half of the show aired within the 2014 time frame and the second half will have ended by May 31, 2015. It certainly seems to me that Outlander should have been eligible. It was an inexcusable snub, in my opinion.

• Jenny says:

Agreed about Outlander. Amazing show and cast!

• Leah says:

Tobias Menzies, definitely. Balfe & Heughan, while very good, I couldn’t say I’d knock off any of the leads nominated above for them. Maybe another year…

• Helyne May says:

Yes, I’m very curious how it is that Outlander didn’t get any nods. It’s such a suspenseful, sexy, gorgeous, meticulously crafted hour of TV. Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan deserve some recognition. Perhaps, as stated, it is because its season has not ended, yet.

• so agree with you Erin!!

• Jo Ann says:

I completely agree with you about Outlander, Tobias, Sam and Cait. I wonder if the fact that the season was split over two calendar years had anything to do with the show receiving no nominations. I don’t know how they figure the “year” for this award.

• Leigh says:

Am so with you!! The talent on outlander is amazing!!! Cannot believe Sam or Tobias did not get any recognition for those heartbreaking and utterly gut wrenching scenes on season finale. Cannot leave out Cait as well. Am one addicted Outlander fan!!!

7. Mr. Tran K says:

As a huge 24 fan, very happy it got nominated for both Best Limited Series and Kiefer Sutherland for Best Actor in a Limited Series. All I can say is DAMMIT!!

8. brandydanforth81 says:

So happy Hpjane,HTGAWM,Viola are nominees

9. Kimberly says:

Finally–some of my favorite shows and actors are recognized–Justified, The Americans, The Good Wife, EDEN SHER!!!!!

10. Steven says:

Amy Poehler was robbed.

• Someone says:

Nah. She just went through the motions this last season.

• misery chick says:

Ohhh, I thought she was amazing in the finale alone. The love that both Amy and Leslie showed every single one of her costars was so sweet, positive and life-affirming still deeply touches me today
        (dang, tearing up again…)

• Leah says:

Agreed. Same with most of the supporting cast.

11. The Americans \o/\o/\o/\o/

12. Betty says:

Very happy to see Chris Messina, and very surprised (and happy) to see Johnny Galecki. Also, good to see so many new nominees.

13. How was Outlander overlooked ?!? Amazing acting, great story, and not ONE nomination ? Ridiculous oversight !

14. alicat says:

So happy for Homeland! Glad to see Season 4 is being recognized!

15. Nan says:

Fascinating. In that entire list, the only show I watch is The Big Bang Theory.

16. Jon says:

Lots of good things here but James Corden getting a nomination for a few weeks basically over Conan seems shocking and terribly undeserved.

• Leah says:

I think instead of Conan you meant to say Craig Ferguson. Pure brilliance, and I miss it every day.

• katie says:

No they meant Conan…
        What was so good about Craig? He never did anything funny and was always so awkward. He had the lowest rated talk show…

17. Mike Rudy says:

Annoyed that Tatiana Maslany gets passed over AGAIN. Very happy that Star Wars Rebels gets acknolwedged.

18. ek says:

Really, no love for parks?

19. Eliza says:

I agree with many of the nominations but no Tobias Menzies?! I’m disappointed. He’s easily one of the most talented actors currently gracing my TV screen.

20. Ro says:

Vera and Freddie!! Also, no Outlander?!

21. BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Eva Green, Penny Dreadful
    Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
    Keri Russell, The Americans
    Taraji P. Henson, Empire
    Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel
    Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder

That’s the cream of la cream… This could go any way.

22. DanT2590 says:

I’m glad Bates Motel is being recognized this year. And this year it got stranger and creepier. It glues me to my chair.

23. trev says:

Obligatory Tatiana Maslany was robbed comment

24. MiaB says:

I am thrilled with this list. A lot of un- or under-recognized actors, actresses and series made the cut. Beside the names we expected, I’m so happy to see Eden Sher, Lorraine Touissant, and Linda Lavin (who I wish was a Good Wife regular) nominated and You’re the Worst make the best comedy list. It’s an amazing, edgy, hilarious show, and I hope more people watch it. Please take note, Emmy folk. This is how you do it!

25. Caroline says:

Scandal shut out. No surprise.

26. John Davis says:

Damn! How the hell they’ll choose in the actress drama category? It’s impossible!

27. Daniel says:

Eva Green deserve to win.

28. hipster says:

that lead actress comedy lineup is a dream.

29. scott says:

and yet again person of interest is overlooked

30. CJ says:

Kinda feel like Outlander and the cast got snubbed. Its incredible, maybe next year.

31. Et Al says:

Aside from the annoying Tatiana snub, that is a near-perfect nomination list. This is what the Emmys would look like if anyone involved with the Emmys actually watched television.

32. Ally Oop says:

Out of my 5 favourite shows on tv (Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, Parenthood, Orphan Black, Nashville, Outlander, Vikings, The Originals, Empire, Reign) I’m glad to see at least three shows get recognition. Empire had an awesome freshman season and I’m so thrilled Kathryn Winnick got a nom for Vikings. I’m also thrilled Parenthood got some noms as I think it is one of the best shows on tv. I’m a little dismayed Outlander didn’t get anyhting and I’ll continue to stew over the fact that Call the Midwife has never got recognition as it’s such a wonderful show.

33. Spence says:

Wow, it’s almost like Parks and Rec doesn’t even exist. There was several epsidoes this finals Eason that deserve recognition (“Ron and Leslie” comes to mind).

34. TWD is the best tv show ever to broadcast on tv. So why not even one nomination?

35. Amanda says:

Where is the love for Outlander?!

36. spifferly says:

Where is the love for Outlander?

37. Jennifer S. (@jlseghers) says:

I am most happy to see Lois Smith nominated for guest actress for The Americans. What a performance.

38. Kelly says:

Really great to see The Americans get some love this year. This season has been outstanding.

39. john logan says:

Glad to see Justified get a good amount of award nominations. But they left out Vikings and Outlander which is joke. Both were are still are very good shows worthy of awards.

40. MJ says:

While I am happy that Cameron Monaghan (Ian) on Shameless got nominated, I am torn about it being for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy. I don’t see Shameless as a comedy and I know a year or so ago they changed from the drama category to the comedy category, Ian’s character dealt with a lot this past season and none of it was comical. I assume they nominated him for how good he did, but it is just weird for me that it is in the comedy category.

• Jules says:

If they were going to pick an actor from that show, in that category, it should’ve been Noel Fisher. Not as many great scenes for Ian without Mickey. And I agree about it being more of a “dramedy”. The best moments from that show are always the dramatic ones. Oh and Emmy Rossum was robbed, AGAIN!!! Actually, the show itself was. “Mom”??? Really??? There are SEVERAL shows more deserving in that category.

41. jss0058 says:

Overall a pretty good list of nominees.

Glad ‘You’re The Worst’ got recognized! It was/is such a refreshing “change of pace” type of show. A little disappointed with the lack of “parks” love. Also I know its because its in the half hour format…but Transparent isn’t a comedy ESPECIALLY if Orange is the New Black isn’t.

42. canadian ninja says:

No Hannibal nominatons and only one for GoT? I expected better from the critics.

43. Boiler says:

Too bad for CW that critics don’t translate to viewers

• LT says:

Actually, too bad for the public that they don’t know what great stuff The CW has because they’re too wrapped up in their 17th NCIS franchise show.

44. Anne Carter says:

I really hope Justiied wins. This was my favorite show by far. Great actors and even greater characters. GO JUSTIFIED.

45. Eileen Brauer says:

Where the hell is Outlander?????

46. KathyNYC says:

Not that I am not appreciative of Craig T Nelson and Mae Whitman’s nominations, but none for Parenthood???

• misery chick says:

ITA-the final season had me me crying and on the edge of my seat at the same time…
      And although Craig and Mae deserve noms, I could make a strong case for every single actor getting one too, especially Lauren, Peter and most notably Max, they indeed broke my heart 💔

47. SnazzyO says:

And once again, no recognition of Vincent Kartheiser. He must be cursed because television critics spend ink praising his work and then he never gets consideration at award time.

48. Jon says:

Eva Green should have the Best Actress category in the bag after the preformance she pulled on Penny Dreadful.

Nice to see some love for Vikings and Katheryn Winnick in the Supporting Actress category as well.

49. wrstlgirl says:

Wow Best Actor in a Drama series category. I like all six nominees, that never happens :-)