Ratings: Criminal Minds Hits Series Low Against P.D./SVU Crossover

Criminal Minds Ratings Low

The penultimate episode of Criminal Minds Season 10 on Wednesday night drew 8.6 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, down 15 percent and three tenths to hit series lows.

Bookending CBS’ lineup, Survivor (9.2 mil/2.1) and CSI: Cyber (7.2 mil/1.2) also slipped three tenths, both tying series lows.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Airing at 9 pm, the Chicago PD portion of this week’s three-way crossover event did 8.1 mil and a 1.8, rising 21 percent and three tenths to its best numbers since Nov. 12. At 10 pm, SVU (9.2 mil/2.0) similarly surged 26 percent and two tenths, also to its best numbers since Nov. 12.

THE CW | Arrow (2.4 mil/0.8) slipped 11 percent and two tenths, tying its season low in the demo. Supernatural (1.9 mil/0.6) added some eyeballs while flat in the demo.

FOX | American Idol (7.3 mil/1.6) ticked up a tenth week-to-week.

ABC | The Middle (7.3 mil/2.0) rose two tenths in the demo, The Goldbergs (6.7 mil/2.1) and Nashville (4.8 mil/1.3) were steady, and Modern Family (8 mil/2.9) and black-ish (6 mil/2.0) each dipped a tenth. Every ABC show ticked down in audience, however.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I suppose those numbers for CPD and SVU mean more crossovers. Sigh, can’t wait for Chicago Med. “A two night, four episode can’t miss event” LOL!!!! Oh NBC.

• kn1231 says:

I think if Med is picked up, we won’t see SVU involved in crossovers with the other 3 shows. So I think you’ll see Fire/PD/Med crossovers, and then maybe they might continue with Fire/PD/SVU… but I don’t think we’ll see 4 show crossovers. They know that would be way too difficult to write, but also for viewers to follow.

2. Julia says:

Wow impressive numbers for Chicago PD and L&O. I’m tiring of the crossovers but the ratings are fantastic. I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but those American Idol ratings are rough. I’m wondering how low Fox will let those numbers get before considering cancellation.

• Matt says:

AI will be safe for a while yet as those numbers are still well above the average for the scripted shows on Fox. If Fox can find a couple more winners next year to pair with Empire then they may consider putting the show to rest. The only way to really revive AI at this point would be to take it off the air for a couple of seasons so that they can build up some buzz and anticipation for a relaunch but I doubt they are going to be that forward thinking.

• Julia says:

Good points! In my opinion, the only way this show gets some buzz and ratings is to somehow bring back Simon Cowell. That would make me watch.

3. Neki says:

The Middle is the most stable show in ages. And its back to 2s :)
    Its gonna be renewed for sure, your prediction that The Middle is a “bubble” show ,TvLine, is not correct at all :P

4. It seems worth noting that Nov. 12 was the date of the last CPD/SVU crossover.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

This doesn’t bode well for CSI: Cyber’s renewal chances.

6. Badpenny says:

I enjoyed the NBC crossover, except the ending. Voight should have gone more Voight on the guy. :)

• Bwhit says:

I don’t know I liked the image he left him with, what he will experience in prison. I’m sure Voight has some friends in there who will take care of him. This crossover was better than the last

7. Gerri says:

It took an extra week, but the poor casting of this season of survivor is finally catching up with it. Without Joe, Series low. I am not surprised.
    Arrow has gotten too dark. They need to lighten up and leave the Ra’s Al Guhl storyline behind next season so the numbers can go back up. And lets leave Hong Kong behind while we are at it.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m really tired of the flashbacks as a whole but the Hong Kong ones are the worst. Just leave them out, they’re not necessary.

8. javadude54 says:

I guess I’m not the only person who has quit watching Criminal Minds.

9. BrightLight says:

After having a fantastic episode last week, Criminal Minds this week was absolutely boring. I stopped paying attention halfway through and only resumed watching for the ending. The only thing worthwhile in it was the last three minutes that set up the finale for next week. And that was something you could predict was going to happen about 10 episodes ago.

10. Jenna says:

While I doubt this bodes well for Cyber, I also think this is a call to CBS to thin the ranks of its veterans. CM should be moved to 10pm, along with NCISLA, POI, Elementary, and Blue Bloods. None of these shows can be used to promote a new series. And CSI and Cyber should be cancelled. There’s absolutely no use for them.

11. Whatevah says:

I love Criminal Minds. Crossovers suck. Especially when the show starts showing reruns like SVU on USA. You get to see the one episode and never get to see the conclusion. Lame. I still see crossovers from Homicide and Law and Order on WE and TBS and you never get to see the conclusion that was on Homicide. I had to google the conclusion one time. Irritating….

• Vivi says:

Try countries where tv shows air on different channels like in Germany, The Flash and Arrow air on channels owned by different companies (due to expired contracts between Warners and the tv channel). So no crossover fun here. Or: Law & Order SVU aired its 15th season in December, while Chicago Fires second season premiered in January. I don´t even know where Chicago P.D. is.
      Crossovers only work if they are scheduled this way. Otherwise they are just episodes where you can´t understand everything….

12. kmw says:

The crossovers seem to work for NBC, but that is not something they can do all the time. Both will be down next week. The Middle is not a bubble show no matter what TV LINE says. It does respectable numbers for ABC. As for American Idol if FOX was doing better with scripted or reality shows they might get rid of it. Right now that is not going to happen

• Regina Phalange says:

Tvline has classified the middle as on the bubble because most of the main casts contracts are up for renegotiation. That is the main reason

13. That is disappointing. I don’t remember it being that low for awhile ratings wise. Thankful that the Capitals game is tonight and wasn’t last night, or I would have inadvertently caused the slip myself. It wasn’t the greatest episode except the end part. I was hoping they’d show Morgan and Reid actually at the crime scene. Not have them return 5 minutes later.

14. DavidSask says:

Criminal Minds great cast or not on new series still think is wise decision to do spin off again? Arrow deserves tanking numbers treating fans with stupid storyline on now, best do overhaul for next season to win us all back!

15. Debbie Howell says:

I Love Criminal minds I have been watching it since season 1 please do not take. My favorite show off I love this show it has been on 10 years it’s GREAT I never miss an episode I love the cast is great & work great together I won’t watch another show on CBS if u take this show off & I am not just saying this …u take my favorite show off I won’t watch CBS again ever …DH

16. Lucia says:

I think Criminal Minds did do well this season because they had to compete with Empire and I don’t think there was any show this season that could compete with Empire. I really was not into Jennifer Love-Hewitt or the part she played. They would do better to bring back Page Brewster. She carried her role better and complemented the other cast members better.

• Elaine says:

I agree with you. We too want Page back. She is a lot better actress than Jennifer Hewitt is. She just did not fit her part. I am glad that I am not the only one who does not care for Jennifer Hewitt. She made the whole show boring. I watched all the episodes; but, they were not as exciting with her in it.

17. Marilyn Davis says:

Please don’t take any csi series off I’m disabled and home bound there my weekly favorites everyone you got my antenna get way out here in the country side I don’t have cable to expensive thanks for this wonderful series there the best even the cyber is awsome thanks . Ms. Davis

18. Elaine says:

I am not sorry that Jennifer Love Hewitt is out. She made the whole show very boring. She had no life in her. She talked without feelings. Please find someone who is a lot better and is a lot more exciting. We love Criminal Minds and have watched every single episode since it started.

19. rhonda says:

Criminal minds need a major overhaul. JLH was not the best choice…she is and always will be the ghost whisper. Bring back Emily and Alex.. Reid needs a love interest… you need to get Garcia and Morgan together. David needs a love interest too. Hotch needs a real girlfriend….

20. Carol A. Wacker says:

Bring Prentiss back to Criminal Minds. She was the BEST!

21. Pamela Young says:

I think Criminal Minds just got rid of their problem for down ratings.