Revenge Cancelled After 4 Seasons

Revenge Cancelled

ABC is giving Revenge the red Sharpie treatment.

After four twisted seasons, the primetime soap will reach its conclusion in the May 10 season series finale, TVLine has confirmed.

Though the writing has been on the wall for some time — star Madeleine Stowe’s recent departure felt like the nail in the coffin — showrunner Sunil Nayar told TVLine that he wasn’t necessarily planning for this to be Revenge‘s swan song.

“To say we’re approaching this as the last season would be wrong,” he said in December. “But we’re not scared to make choices that will make people ask ‘Where is this going?'”

Now that the finale has been shot and screened, Nayar tells EW.com it’s a different story: “We can officially tell our fans that this will be the end of the story. … We’ve been talking to the network and we all just wanted to make sure that we felt very confident.”

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect Revenge‘s cancellation.

With only two episodes left for the ABC drama, how do you hope Amanda’s story ends? Drop a comment with your wish list below.

1. HeatherC says:

The finale is actually airing on May 10th. I kind of knew this news was coming but I’m still sad. I’ll miss spending time in the Hamptons every week! =(

• Fx says:

The May 10th “season” finale was called – Two Graves. It was a dead giveaway. Also, a 0.9 rtg is hideous if you’re not The CW.

• HeatherC says:

Actually, I was referring to the fact that the article say May 4th when I first read it but they edited it while I was typing my reply, LOL ;)

• AddieM says:

I agree, I was always hoping this would be the final season esp after Daniel’s death but now that it’s official I can’t help but feel sad. It means in two weeks there’ll be no more new adventures with Emily & Nolan…It’s been the best guilty pleasure, will def be missed.
      I’m hoping the finale is satisfactory and that Emily and Nolan get a happy ending.

• SundayNightBlues says:

I agree…I loved this show and every twisted person on it. I will miss it very much. Don’t think I will invest anymore time with ABC shows. They don’t care about fans at all.

• Dave says:

I agree with you. ABC seems to be the worst of giving up on shows. Both new and seasoned.

• flower_petals says:

How long did you want it to run? I don’t feel like ABC had given up on it. Really there’s not much more to tell. With both Greyson’s dead, what would she be avenging? Her dad’s name is cleared, which was the original plan. I thought it could have ended at season 3, with Victoria locked away in the hospital.

• Jo March says:

From the start, Revenge should have been a limited run series such as “The Slap” and “Secrets and Lies”. The first season was it’s peak.

• sunny says:

Doesn’t seem to matter what the fans want. Huge injustice to those of us who’ve waited 4 years for a proper conclusion. I’m OK with the series ending. I’m definitely not OK with the WAY it’s ending. Victoria killed Aiden. Emily hasn’t killed anyone. Victoria stole her childhood and now that she finally has her dad back and he’s dying with 6 months or less to live? We deserve more than what we’re getting. Makes me mad with ABC for not giving the writers a little more time to wrap it up! I speak for the majority. I’ve read the blogs and Facebook posts. We are not happy with ABC!

• Alicia Bibbes-Turner says:

Why why why!!!!! Please don’t cancel this show. It’s only just begun!!!!! We need future seasons!!!!!!!!

• sharonjuneheard says:

I love this drama why is not this program not comming back l love it i watch it alll yhe time

• donholley77 says:

ABC was more than loyal to the show! They coulda canceled it two seasons ago! Given the premise, ‘Revenge’ was stretched as far as it could go! The cast knew it. Apparently, you did not!

• AddieM says:

Had ABC announced when renewing season 4 that this would be the final season then it would have given fans time to come to terms and to farewell this beloved show. I’m sure even the Revenge show-runners would have done some things differently.
            In as much as viewers knew there was nothing more to the show, we still tuned in every week because of the investment and love for the characters. So simply announcing that a show will not be back when it’s left with 2 more episodes, it’s very inconsiderate to the fans.

• GuyAwks says:

Right? ABC should be ashamed of themselves for getting rid of Revenge yet keeping some of the other trash they renew. I’m tempted to just ditch ABC altogether.

• steelebelina@yahoo.com says:

I agree a thousand percent. ABC doesn’t give a rats ass about the viwers. shame on them

• James Thear says:

No they certainly don’t !

• cel says:

I agree. Done with ABC.

• AddieM says:

Might I add, I would have loved to see Revenge go out on their own terms, giving fans a full season to prepare and come to terms with the finale. This has been a successful show with alot of invested fans, giving us two weeks notice is kinda harsh. I’m really hoping that there are no loose ends in the finale esp with regards to the 3 main characters.

• Christy says:

I hope Amanda & Jack have a happy ending!!! 💔

• LindaM. says:

I’m very sad that Emily/Amanda’s story us coming to an end. I thought they would travel through the way of people that could get revenge on now Amanda, her father, and Nolan. They have caused so much chaos that there were plenty of more stories and blame to go around, especially for Nolan. I didn’t like the way he just dumped his wife even though he was gay. Good luck everyone.

• LindaM. says:

I’m very sad that Emily/Amanda’s story is coming to an end. I thought they would travel through the way of people that could get revenge on now Amanda, her father, and Nolan. They have caused so much chaos that there were plenty of more stories and blame to go around, especially for Nolan. I didn’t like the way he just dumped his wife even though he was gay. Good luck everyone.

• cdhaskell says:

I must agree with HeatherC that I knew that the show wasn’t going to be renewal. I must say my money to buy the complete series of Revenge. I can’t wait to see how the show will tie up all the loose end in the last episode.

• I will miss the Hampton after May 10,2015. I must save my money to buy the complete Revenge series and have marathon. I still hope that Amanda Clarke and Jack will have a happy ending.

• cdhaskell says:

I hope and pray that the show will end all the loose end for the series. I wish that Daniel Grayson was still alive and well. I must save my money to buy the complete season of Revenge and have a marathon one weekend.

• jacqui morris says:

This program will be not forgotten. Excellent ending. Wonderful cast and writing. Good chemistry with all the crew. I loved everyone. Goodbye Revenge….so sad. Will miss the Hamptons

2. Et Al says:

I’ll miss it, but it’s a good time to end it. I hope abc gave enough notice to allow for a satisfying conclusion.

3. Georgia Madman says:

Yay! My girlfriend’s mind will rot just a little it slower with this crap gone.

4. Steve F. says:

Guess that means Emily Van Camp can finally be firmly established in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Sharon Carter… or better yet, she can appear on Agents of SHIELD!

5. Phillip says:

You mean May 10th?

6. Ci says:

Season One was some of the best network television I’ve seen… I was riveted every Wednesday night. After four seasons I am ready to let go but I will miss these characters.

• IAmMyOwnEmoji says:

Season 1 was TERRIFIC. Ever since then, a steady decline in quality. I finally gave up this year.

• Tammy says:

I agree…. Season 1 was the best. All I hope is Emily Van Camp and Gabriel Mann are back on the screen real soon.

• Ray says:

Yes yes a million times yes. Season 1 was spectacular with Mike Kelley still at the helm.

• GuyAwks says:

Reading this comment is making me want to rewatch Season 1 again haha. S1 was pretty spectacular television- you got that authentic Hamptons vibe that you don’t get in the later seasons.

• Ci says:

I agree the Hamptons was completely missing after Season One. The whole summer resort vibe was in the forefront at the beginning. They used to go to the beach, and on boats, and to outdoor parties. Later seasons had the cast in business suits sitting by the fire in July. Time and setting were completely ignored after a while. Who exactly commutes from the Hamptons to Manhattan on a daily basis?

• Colleen says:

Season One was fantastic. Alas, I gave up half-way through season 2 because the quality declined so much. I’ve heard it improved in season 3 so I may give it another go at some point.

7. Dwayne says:

We all knew this was coming…

8. Steven says:

I knew it was coming when it got renewed last year.

• Lopez says:

I agree it should have ended when David was cleared. A after that it really has been just going no where. I loved the main characters and to endanger them with death or imprisonment for life is letting the loyal fans down.

9. Brandy says:

I’m more surprised to find out that they had a way to keep this going after the events that have happened. I love this show and will miss it!

10. vren says:

Hope Emily VanCamp gets a new show quickly. I suggest they put her on that SHIELD spinoff as her Captain America character. She was never fleshed out in the movie anyway.

• Dude says:

She needs to be in the Captain America movies as her Cap character

• CK says:

^This. I’d rather see her and Sharon Carter get the justice/exposure in the movie universe rather than the TV one.

• Joey says:

She won’t get any justice in the films. Captain America 3 is likely the final Captain America movie (unless they end up recasting Chris Evans after Infinity War, or give the mantle to Bucky). Cap 3 is already so packed, it’s making Age of Ultron sound like Iron Man 1. Cap 3 has to cover Steve’s search and reconciliation with Bucky, it has to cover the fallout of Age of Ultron, it has to cover the super hero registration act and superhero civil war, it has to tell the stories of Cap, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, the Winter Soldier, probably S.H.I.E.L.D., probably Hydra, and introduce Spider-Man. There’s no way Sharon Carter is going to be given nearly enough time to develop as a character in the movie. A tv show would work best to help develop her character.

• Nina Daicu says:

question : what has spider-man to do with the avengers and their world ?? it would a big mistake to involve him there … and Hawkeye has retired with the third child on the way …

• Suwariish says:

@Nina Dalcu In the comics the Civil War was focused mainly on Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Captain America. He was also a member of the New Avengers and a member of the main team alongside Luke Cage, Captain America, Wolverine, Iron Man, Sentry and Echo (Ronin).

The only reason he hasn’t been used in the movie-verse is because Marvel does not own his movie rights, Sony does. But with word of them finally beginning to collaborate on his inclusion its looking bright for Spidey’s future (as well as the Sinister Six’s). .

Plus with more than half of the movies taking place in Spiderman’s home turf its kinda absurd for him not to take notice. And finally to answer your question everything in the MCU is connected including Spiderman.

@Joey Its possible for Sharon to be in the Civil War movie since she and Crossbones are the ones to do in the current Captain America.

• James says:

Perhaps she can get some acting lessons first.. She bores me to tears!

11. Traci says:

so sad, but knew it was coming!! I hope they finally put Emily-Amanda and Jack together

12. bittickc says:

Great first season, second season left you scratching your head, hard to get back into it after that.

13. MzTeaze says:

Not surprised. I really feel like the last few episodes were the writers version of “No F’s given here”.

14. Someone says:

I’m going to miss this show. It had that soapy goodness. I wouldn’t mind seeing Emily Van Camp join Agents of Shield as her character in Captain America after this.

15. Richard says:

I’m ready to let the show go. It’s been a good and entertaining ride.

16. abz says:

No surprise and even though he says they weren’t approaching it as an ending, the writing and past few episodes have indicated otherwise. There really isn’t anywhere for the show to go at this point. I wonder how exactly he intended to drag it out for a fifth season if he got one.

17. Winnie says:

Nooooooooo…lan! *recognizes that it’s time for Revenge to end, but still pours a 40 out for Gabriel Mann’s character*

18. doris says:

Never watched the show.

19. Ruth says:

:( I really enjoyed the show, but I get why it’s ending!

20. Matt C. says:

Knew it was coming, but I was still sad to see that headline. I wonder why ABC even bothered to announce this with only 2 episodes left? They could have just waited until the upfronts in 2 weeks.

• SW says:

They’re probably hoping to spark some curiosity in fans who may have stopped watching so that they’ll come back and watch the finale, knowing that it’s the last episode of the series.

21. Dude says:

Well, it’d have been pretty hard to mine another season out of it where this is going. I’m glad we’re getting a proper ending.

22. erika says:

Is everyone surprised the cancelation of Revenge?

• Oddie says:

No. I never watch the show to begin with but reading comments here from fans and the words from the network executives it makes me think there was no point at all in conitnue textending the show for more seasons. The storylines this season were already wrapping up in a way to tell that the show had alreayd ran its course. So the network cancel the show at the right time. So there is no need for fans to dislike the decision or even get mad or upset. The show ran the time it had to ran and will end properly.

23. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

I loved this show for most of the 1st season it reminded me of The O.C. Victoria in that high backed chair presiding over her group, people falling to their death landing on cars and people’s faces being X. Then it got too ridiculous and I gave up.

I always thought that this show should have been an anthology series. 24 episodes telling 1 story of REVENGE and then moved onto another story, but network television doesn’t work like that, shame.

No More WRAP DRESSES!!

24. Geo says:

The whole second half of this season has obviously been getting to endgame. My only surprise is that it took them this long to acknowledge that they’ve likely known for quite a long time that this was the final season.

25. I think the show collapsed when they let the creator go. What we saw isn’t necessarily how it should have or would have turned out. This season many plots dragged on and on for no reason, while only very few felt like an organic and necessary part of the story they were telling (which, again, isn’t necessarily THE story the show should have ended on).

• wingsstef says:

I agree. I also always thought Ashley had a sake in a Revenga that has and likely will not be fulfilled. I wondered if her family was in the crash as well or perhaps cheated financially one way or another by Conrad and friends. Though I am glad that Mason came back, I was seriously worried that his storyline was left out to die as well. Parts of last season were good, and the finale last season with David killing Conrad was fantastic. The beginning of this fourth season though was mostly a mess. It did get better at times however and I am eager to see how the show ends.

26. Sophie Carmichael says:

I want Emily and Jack to get together. No way should Emily go to jail for this. Victoria wrote a suicide note. Golly gee what more do you want. Just let Emily/Amanda live happily every after.

27. D. says:

Agent 13 on Shield aka Sharon Carter?

28. Mr. Tran K says:

This is the one show I really don’t care about. From the start I wasn’t interest even though I never watched a single episode week in and week out and I’m glad that Revenge is ending after four seasons and kudos to Paul Lee for making the right decision. Don’t know which series is going to take over the 10 p.m. Sunday night time slot for ABC during the upfronts on May 12th whether it’s a new or returning series.

• JL says:

How weird. You say you don’t watch it yet you care so much about it ending. I have never cared about a show I DONT watch ending or not LOL

29. I’m not sure that this is a good decision, but I’m not the biggest fan of the show. If it is replaced with a piece of garbage, then it was a mistake. Does this mean that ABC will bring back FOREVER now that there is a hole to fill? Getting rid of Revenge certainly puts more pressure on ABC to bring back CASTLE. Getting rid of Castle and Revenge at the same time would not be good for ABC.

• Nate says:

I think Forever will still be cancelled, but this does bode well for Castle. Dumping Revenge this year allows ABC to only have to cancel 2 veteran dramas (Castle, Nashville) next season.

30. Michele G says:

I think it is time.

31. Gonna miss shirtless Jack on my screen.

32. Paula says:

Finally, I hope Emily Van Camp can be in more movies now.

33. …and let’s hope nashville is not next.

• the girl says:

THAT would actually be sad. I’m glad Revenge is over. I just decided after Sunday’s episode that the season finale this year would be my last time watching. So I’m good.

34. MattySi says:

I think we all saw this coming. I’ve said it before here and on other sites and I’ll say it again. I feel as though the only way to end this series is with Amanda dead. Sure the finale is called “Two Graves” but that doesn’t necessarily mean Victoria and Amanda. Victoria may not even be one of those two at all. It could be David and Amanda. Either way I think Amanda should die at the end of series. I think she should be killed. Go out with a bang. Just don’t make Victoria the killer.

• Tracy says:

I see it representing Conrad and Victoria – those who set the events in motion in the first place.

• Winnie says:

I think Victoria believed Amanda could navigate herself out of “murder” charges one of 2 ways – by legal navigation and/or by faking death as Amanda Clarke. The latter would probably give Victoria ultimate pleasure, because if Amanda “loses” her true name just after revealing her identity and has to start over (even if her Dad, Jack, and/or Nolan know), her “happy ending” is tainted even more than it was after [the producers wanted us to believe it was from] losing Aiden. Amanda Clarke got her revenge, but in doing so, she may have started the cycle over/contributed to someone else creating his/her own “revengenda.” (Not Margeaux and/or Louise – just…no.). The 2nd grave could be figurative in the end. The only thing that would bother me is if David Clarke’s cancer diagnosis was revealed to be part of a long con by Victoria/another Grayson loyalist and her doctor(s), but I would hope that’s just my sad conspiracy theory mind in overdrive.

35. Alina says:

Amanda and Jack together happily ever after!!! Amanda deserves her happy ending after the childhood she had!

36. Roberta says:

Will miss Nolan.

37. Joaquin says:

I figured the series was coming to an end when Victoria died. Season 4 was very boring; being that the storyline shifted from the premise of the show.

38. I will miss it. Not ready for it to end. :(

• Susan says:

Despondent …that’s what I am. I think for me it was the best show on TV

• Tia says:

I completely agree! I think it has been the best show and the best fast paced writing. I absolutely loved the characters, especially Emily, Victoria and Nolan, but really all of them! Spot on casting, in my opinion and obviously quite a few others as well. Also I always felt so invigorated as a woman after watching, not for revenge in any way, shape or form, but just for the amazing strength and power attained by these woman. I was endlessly entertained, not sure what, if anything could replace a show that made me feel so strong and capable. #Womanpower

39. we sure saw this one coming, let’s hope writers saw it too and don’t leave on a cliffhanger.

40. Maureen Barrett says:

I am hoping that Amanda and Jack will get together. I have been hoping that from the beginning.

41. Sylvia Winrich says:

I would like to see Emily & Nolan go out on top, some how they turned the frame off Emily and onto the southern belle & french boo kitty, we see they were so angry with Emily and Victoria herself was ill and did not tell anyone so she got southern belle to help her with this plot, Victoria & southern belle used french boo kitty without her knowledge. But Emily & Nolan figure this out and in their own twisted way and expose the plot. Frenchie & Southern are arrested, Emily’s dad dies, so Emily & Nolan leave the Hamptons with Jack to start new lives in LA, and yes Emily & Jack are together!

42. Azerty says:

Ok so they better not finish the show with Victoria actually alive laughing at Emily in jail or dead.

43. geny says:

its about time a show ends with a happy ending, Jack and Amanda get together.

44. Dennis says:

Noooooooooooooo :(

45. Bill says:

This should be a surprise to no one. Van Camp was upset that they brought David back (she said so in an interview, saying that Mike [Kelly-creator and original showrunner] had promised her that would never happen and she was upset when Kelly got axed. And as the season progressed you could tell it was leading up to a conclusion. Nayar can say what he wants but they knew the season was over as soon as it started.

• Richard says:

No, Vancamp wasn’t upset Kelly left. That was just posturing on her part. She wanted Nayar and told the crew as much. She just played the game. True she didn’t think David Clarke should come back though.

46. It’s good they announced now. It’ll help marketing to call it the “series finale” to get everyone whoever watched to come back.

47. Dean says:

The writing was on the wall sad to see it go.

48. Well, they said Sunday night that the next episode was the final, so, no surprise…good while it lasted…

49. Cassie says:

One less show to marathon tape on Sunday night. Sorry to see it go = Revenge was a nice diversion… Hoping that ABC doesn’t take any more shows I like from Thursdays line up and move them to Sunday!!!!

50. Drew says:

I stopped watching a while ago, but I’m excited to see what Emily Van Camp does next. She really knocked Revenge out of the park when they gave her good material to work with, and I’ve thought that she was being held down for a long time now.
    Though I’m not a huge fan of the MCU, it might be cool to see her pop up on one of the Netflix shows as her Captain America character. I’d say to use her on AoS, but I think that would be another waste of her talents. She could hold her own on Daredevil, and if the others are of the same quality, she would fit right in.