James Purefoy Lands Post-Following Role in Sundance '80s Drama

James Purefoy Hap and Leonard Cast

Joe Carroll hasn’t even been gone a week, and James Purefoy already has another gig.

The actor, (Spoiler alert!) whose serial killer character was executed in Monday’s episode of Fox’s The Following, will play an ex-con trying to stay out of trouble in Sundance’s Hap and Leonard, per The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED The Following Recap: Easy Come, Easy Poe

Purefoy will play Hap, a plantation worker in 1980s Texas who did time in federal prison for dodging the Vietnam War draft. Hap’s best friend, an angry, openly gay Vietnam vet named Leonard, will be played by Michael Kenneth Williams (Boardwalk EmpireThe Wire).

The series is based on Joe Lansdale’s series of novels about the two men. Season 1 will consist of six episodes, which are slated to air in early 2016.

In addition to playing The Following‘s central murderer for three seasons, Purefoy’s TV credits include Rome, Revenge and Episodes.

1. kirads09 says:

I don’t know if the show sounds like it will appeal to me personally, but Purefoy is amazing in all his roles. So Yay!

2. DanielleZ says:

Loved Michael Kenneth Williams in The Wire and Boardwalk Empire, and James Purefoy in Rome and several of his films. I’ll definitely plan to watch Hap and Leonard. Awesome.

3. One more for the road…Praise Joe!

4. Joey Padron says:

Glad James landed a new show quick! Can’t wait to check out the show next year!

5. Julie says:

Who did he play on Revenge? I know The Following could not have continued with him as the main protagonist (I mean seriously…the portrayal of the FBI’s competence, or complete lack thereof, on this show is already laughable) but I kind of miss him. This season has been a bit of a mess. And while I mostly meant that figuratively, it has also literally been a bit of a mess–is it just me or has the gore been ratcheted up a ton this season?

• Tim says:

He was on 2 episodes as an old flame of Victoria’s—an artist. Revenge had some great guest actors–most of who were wasted on the show.

6. Mara says:

The novels this show was based on are great — so excited to see it on tv and with these two actors!

7. So looking forward to seeing this series.James Purefoy is an excellent actor. Any idea if it will be shown in the UK please !!!

8. Winn says:

The novels by Joe R. Lansdale are fantastic: funny, exciting, disturbing and very Texan. I love Purefoy, but he doesn’t seem like Hap to me at all. But I look forward to being proven wrong. He’s a terrific actor.

9. cjrmommy says:

OK…so he’s playing a plantation worker in Texas? i’m assuming, then, that we won’t be hearing his beautiful British accent? I love his work tho, so I will no doubt check it out.

10. Christine says:

There will never again be the kind of chemistry that Joe & Ryan had. There evil serial killer, kinda like Dexter, actually gives an explained reason why Joe did what he did. Theo??? They gotta work way way harder to get him to be the full blown deranged killer that Joe was. Bye bye…..but hey…it could
    always change that the execution was a a dream (more like a nightmare)sequence. Now all the evil guys and chicks word out, leaving room for a whole new cast of awful. I forever miss Joe.