Hulu to Exclusively Host All Seinfeld Episodes, Walking Dead Spinoff

Hulu Stream Seinfeld Episodes

Starting in June, Hulu will be the only place you can stream any Seinfeld episode of your choosing — not that there’s anything wrong with that.

The streaming service also has inked a deal to exclusively host all new and upcoming scripted drama and comedy series from AMC, IFC, BBC AMERICA, SundanceTV and WE tv — including, of note, full seasons* of AMC’s summer 2015 Walking Dead spinoff, Fear the Walking Dead.

Announced as part of its Upfront presentation on Wednesday (and as first reported by our sister site Variety), Hulu ponied up some $180 million to acquire all 180 episodes of Seinfeld, which until now has only been available to stream online in drips and drabs, never anything close to the celebrated comedy’s entire catalog.

The deal with AMC Networks meanwhile finds Hulu hosting binge-able full seasons* of Fear the Walking Dead and other new/upcoming scripted shows, prior to the next season’s broadcast, plus exclusive and nonexclusive unscripted programming from WE tv and a number of films from the IFC Films collection.

* To be clear, if only because I myself was confused: Hulu is hosting full seasons at a time, at some point before the next season airs. This is not a “day after broadcast” streaming situation.

1. Cassie says:

Does this mean Sony’s Crackle app will no longer have the Seinfeld episodes of their themed/random choosing?

2. Spence says:

So Netflix has Walking Dead and Hulu will have Fear the Walking Dead? That totally makes sense..

• BPofQA says:

Netflix will still have TWD. This just means that Hulu will have its spinoff before Netflix does. It’s more like an on-demand service than Netflix, which releases shows when the DVDs come out.

3. Steven says:

Any idea what this Hulu/Cablevision deal means? Do Cablevision users get full access to Hulu?

4. brawl2099 says:

BBC America? Does that mean we’re finally going to be able to stream Doctor Who as they air now?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“…rights to new and upcoming primetime scripted drama and comedy series…”

• Who’s going to pick up access to all of the BBC shows that were yanked off of Netflix in February? Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, and all of the older Masterpiece Mystery series like Inspector Lynley and Agatha Christie?

5. Tess says:

Just when I’m about to drop Hulu Plus. Seems to be getting more and more ad-heavy. I watched Parenthood on it last night and there were 5 commercials per break. And there were many breaks. Hoping Hulu doesn’t snag exclusives for any more of my faves but it seems this is the direction things are going.

6. FantasyAcumen says:

This is confusing. Am I correct in thinking that THIS season of Orphan Black will be available this upcoming fall/winter before the next season starts next April?

7. aplwrites says:

FINALLY I CAN BINGE WATCH SEINFELD WITHOUT BUYING THE DISCS OR ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADING THEM (I mean I dont do that)

8. Drew says:

Is this Hulu, Hulu Plus, or Hulu: As Long As You Have A Cable Provider? Because I’ve never been able to justify spending money on Hulu Plus and I cut the cord a long time ago. Basic Hulu has sucked recently, with shows being delayed or no longer being offered at all. I don’t mind commercials, but I will not pay for them.
    I think Hulu needs to decide what they are and stick to it. Right now, what they offer is all over the place, so I have stopped going there entirely. That’s a big deal, since Hulu was once my go-to streaming site.

9. Hulu finally available in Canada yet? If not then there is actually a lot wrong with that.

10. Tyler says:

So is there going to be a walking dead season on Hulu ?