Arrow Recap: You Can Call Me Al — Plus, Who's Heading for a Wedding?

Arrow Recap Oliver Nyssa Wedding

“My name was Oliver Queen. For two years, I worked to save my city. But to save my sister, I had to become someone else. I had to become… something else.”

So began Arrow‘s first look at how Oliver, after three weeks of (herrrrrrb-influenced) indoctrination, has acclimated to his life with the League, as Al Sah-Him/Wareeth al Ghul. (The members’ laundry name tags must be huge!) To be fair, Stephen Amell himself warned us on the Twitter, “I’d like to apologize in advance for everything I do” in this week’s episode, and you can now see where he was coming from.

Oliver was not likeable (and surely not lovable, ha) in this new guise, following as he did Ra’s every command, right down to seeking out Nyssa on Starling City for the purpose of eliminating any rival heir to the demon. Lest you were on the fence about ol’ Wareeth al Ghul, he even kidnapped Baby Sara’s mom!

Fortunately, as Oliver got the 10-cent tour of Ra’s’ decimated former home (accompanied by a tale of his onetime alliance with Damien Dahrk, who ultimately parted ways with the League to lead a “hive” of operatives), far more watchable things were going on in Starling City. For one, we saw the depths of Laurel’s bond with Nyssa, Arrow Recap Oliver Nyssa Weddingwho has been training her. As such, Laurel takes great issue with the Oliver-led League’s plan to storm Starling and bring Nyssa back to Nanda Parbat for execution. Fittingly, it is Laurel’s Cisco-modified Canary Cry that interrupts Oliver’s first attack on Nyssa, on the rooftop where Sara herself was slain.

Thea meanwhile feels great guilt for the path Oliver was forced down because of her, and vows to do what she can to save him. To that end, capping a rather epic melee that pitted Diggle, double-fisting Lyla and Canary against Oliver and his henchmen, Thea put a speedy end to Oliver’s imminent slaying of Dig, with an arrow through her brother’s arm. (Let’s pray that even though she now knows Roy is alive, she for some reason stays put.)

Nyssa meanwhile was dragged away and brought back to Nanda Parbat, but not to be killed at Oliver’s hand. Rather, Ra’s stops Oliver mid-thrust and decides there’s a better use for his daughter’s blood — as the bride to the demon, by marrying Oliver.

As if an arranged marriage isn’t bad enough, Ra’s also revealed to us Nyssa’s secret agenda in retreating to Starling City: Not to exhume Sara and dunk her in the Lazarus Pit, but because she has been hiding the Alpha Omega bioweapon (as seen in the largely useless Hong Kong flashbacks). And as his final rite of passage, Wareeth al Ghul is to follow his wedding with the worst honeymoon plans ever, by unleashing the toxin on Starling City and destroying his home. Lovely tradition that, Ra’s.

What did you think of this week’s episode, “Al Sah-Him”?

1. Christina says:

“My name was Oliver Queen”…..

2. Wee says:

Ugh. To have Nyssa, the only gay character on the show, be forced into an old archaic tradition marrying a heterosexual male is not only insulting but a slap in the face to every lgbt character that can’t get married to whoever they love. I didn’t think the writers would be that stupid. There goes my faith in them.

• herman1959 says:

Do we know that Nyssa is gay and not bi-sexual? Isn’t it possible that she was so taken with Sara that gender didn’t matter…just asking.

• ami says:

Yes, right when she was introduced the creators said in interviews that she’s lesbian, and recently in interview for MTV Katrina Law further discussed her character’s homosexual orientation.

• nashieb says:

Who says she’s gay?! What epi was this dusclosed?

• D. says:

push your agenda elsewhere and just enjoy a good show

• JJ says:

As a gay man, let me just say BRAVO! I’m so sick of everyone making everything politically motivated! When something really is motivated by hate then no one listens because people like this make EVERY DAMN THING an issue.

This is a good show that has a lot of diversity and depth. It doesn’t seem out of character to me at ALL that Ras would do this. Hell, he wasn’t very pleased about the whole Sara/Nysa relationship to begin with.

• lichcoin says:

JJ: What a refreshing comment! And yeah it really didn’t seem out of character to me at all either.

• I’m with JJ – I’m also gay and say absolutely no issue here. Nyssa is being forced to marry Oliver because that is how Ra’s has decided it will be. No offence to the LGBQT community intended.

• kath says:

And yet, it’s never gay men who are forced into these situations on TV shows, only gay women.

• ami says:

As a gay man you can’t really speak in name of lesbians, particularly not after Frankie Grande stating that gay men are born gay, but lesbians choose it because they were hurt by men.

• AnnieM says:

Thank you for this! And BTW, I always thought that Ras’ feelings regarding Nyssa and Sara were more of the ‘love makes you weak’ variety, rather than ‘ugh, you’re a lesbian’. At least it seemed that way to me. :;shrug:;

• Sara says:

YEA so it’s totally normal that evil Ra’s would kill people but that same evil Ra’s wouldn’t be capable of forcing his daughter in to marriage. Also for all we know she could be bi and not gay.

• Rachel Duncan says:

Point is that Ra’s doesn’t care what her orientation is, he’s in charge and she WILL do what he says.

• Jeff Engel says:

He is, after all, a villain, do doing bad things is in the job description. Forcing his daughter into a marriage against her entire sexual orientation really isn’t stepping over some line that isn’t blown right through by nearly having her executed immediately beforehand and destroying a city with a bioweapon right after.

• Chris says:

Nyssa is Lesbian. The EPs and actress in an interview when she was first introduced in S2 stated that Nyssa is a lesbian. Not bi.

• AddieM says:

Just because she’s been with Sara does not mean she’s gay, she might be a hetero who simply fell in love with a woman.

• ami says:

Right when she was introduced the creators said in interviews that she’s lesbian, and recently in interview for MTV Katrina Law further discussed her character’s homosexual orientation, also laughing at the idea you presented here, that a woman could just like that suddenly “turn”.

• You do realize THE VILLAIN is doing this right?

• kath says:

The problem for me, beyond the offensiveness, is that it’s unbelievably stupid. Does he not think that Nyssa would kill Oliver in their bed the first change she got? What does she have to lose now?

After killing Oliver, I think she should kill Ra’s himself. And then destroy the body so he can’t resurrect himself in the LP.

Guys probably suffering from senile dementia anyway, given the decisions he’s been making.

• J.r. Edwards says:

I just thought it to be a lighthearted laughter moment in an otherwise dark episode. The look on her face lol. Besides you do get that the whole idea is that Raz is trying to punish his daughter into submission right? And that the wedding is no more likely to happen than the alpha omega being released on starling city?
      I see Nyssa ending up with Laurel personally, or else going out on her own and finding herself not in the shadow of her father. Just enjoy the show and don’t think/worry too much :)

• ? says:

Yeah because Ra’s is a seriously progressive guy, living in his medieval fortress and swordfighting by candlelight. C’mon. He’s not marrying her off for the sake of her carnal pleasure with her spouse, he’s doing it for the bloodline. It doesn’t matter that she’s gay it has nothing to do with her duty to have heirs. That’s how it is when marriage is a form of government in society and the means by which the powerful hold on to power from one generation to the next. One thing just doesn’t have anything to do with the other and there’s a good chance Nyssa sees it that way, too. It’s the choice of husband she objects to, not a husband. Although I have to say I laughed at the thought of Oliver jumping into bed with yet another gorgeous female guest star on this show because that’s a pretty unbroken streak he’s got going on there. Gotta catch ’em all I guess, right?

• Tierna says:

Well, you realize that Sara was bisexual, right?

• They had Felicity a Jew have sex before marriage which goes against the Jewish faith and no1 complained

• Joru95 says:

God dammit man wtf

Its not insulting don’t be such a butthurt victim all the time
      just enjoy the show

• Ab1973 says:

Yeah, it’s grotesque homophobic BS.

• EDWARD MIKAN says:

I DIDN’T CARE MUCH FOR THIS EPISODE!!!!
      U S ARMY VETERAN

• Right up to this episode she still speaks of Sarah as her beloved, and she says openly she’d rather die than marry Oliver. She is being forced – there is no insult to real life people here. I’m gay myself, so I am asking, don’t see insults were insults are not. Had Nyssa been straight and her lost beloved male and her father was making her marry Oliver, I am fairly sure you would not have batted an idea.

• dan says:

Oh for crissakes! Calm down, social justice warriors, not everything is about the lgbt community. It’s absolutely clear Ras had no problem with her relationship with Sara and was even very fond of her if only because of the joy she brought his daughter. It was done to give him an out so he didn’t have to see his daughter killed while saving face and to bind Oliver tighter to him. Granted this seasons writing has not been the best.

• dan says:

Also forgot to ask, what’s it like spending a life looking for any little thing to get offended about? Damn it must be exhausting. If we should be mad about anything it’s the crappy Thea “will come out the pit a demon without a soul, dark, a thing that used to be human. Until she has a nap.” bollocks.

• amelia says:

This is a non-issue she is being FORCED from a man that does not understand reason. Just go with the flow of the story it’s not that serious. Stop grasping.

3. Christina says:

And great episode. So many things made sense.
    And we got to see so many others that were being teased. I can not weit for the next ones.
    Oh, and also, I have a feeling he will NOT marry Nyssa. Way too under our noses for the final two episodes. I really think, and hope, something will happen.

And about the promo for next week
    ***spoilers*****
    How cool was it to see katana finaly making an aperence? So good!

• Shelley says:

Where was Katana? I missed it.

• B says:

I’m hoping he and Nyssa make their own (non-marital) alliance and figure a way out of this crap for both of them!

• Christina says:

Yeah, I really hope that’s true!
        there was a piece of Oliver Queen when Ra’s said he had to marry Nyssa.
        and the team seems to be on Nanda Parbat also in the promo. I hope they are not making Felicity watch the whole wedding thing…

• Tamim says:

And what if they do decide to get “married” and maybe not physically consummate the relationship? Marriage has been a traditional way to cement alliances for thousands of year. Maybe they really get married and even consummate – once and done. Now that Nyssa would be the wife of the new boss, she’d only one step away from actually being the new boss. Or Oliver could command everyone to listen to her and he goes home. There are lots of ways to deal with this whole thing. Actually being married, even in a “it’s complicated” manner might cause problems with Olicity – especially if they would get in trouble if it were to get out that they were an item – all that league of assassin’s honor code and stuff… who knows <3 can't wait to see how it plays out

• kath says:

Since Nyssa grew up as “Heir to the Demon” only to have it stripped away and thrown out of the league, how would she have any power married to the new Ra’s? The League isn’t fair and doesn’t pay for loyalty.

Instead of being the new Ra’s herself, she would be at the mercy of someone who could not only take away everything she has but also order her to be killed because he didn’t like how she served the porridge one morning. If I were Nyssa, I’d kill Oliver and my father as soon as I could. Sure, I could be killed during it but that’s better than living under those conditions.

• ian says:

But if Ra’s Al Ghul is just a mantle passed down, why does Ra’s want to unite their families? He’s not royal, he’s just a guy at the head the league leaving the league to a worthy successor. I would have understood if Ra’s was like in the comics, but this mantle business doesn’t make much sense in this context.

4. Riana says:

Thea was awesome there. I hope that she can be the one to convince Oliver to come back

5. Alichat says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………………….

Seriously, someone wake me when this Ra’s crap is done.

• Sara says:

you complain every week, why must you watch it?

• Alichat says:

Not every week, just the last few weeks. And perhaps I am hoping it will go back to the enjoyable show it once was.

• Briggs says:

They’ve finished filming, so even if they were reading your comments, it’s not going to do much good for this season.

• Alichat says:

I didn’t have any expectation that they would a) read my comments and/or b) make any changes because of it.

• Briggs says:

The wording of your previous comment suggested otherwise.

• Alichat says:

Not really. Sara asked why I still watch it, and I said that I am hoping it will go back to being enjoyable. That doesn’t imply that I thought my comment on this board would affect the show in any way, just that I hope it improves.

• Briggs says:

That wasn’t your exacto wording, even if it was what you meant.

• You are a fool for ignoring all the evidence to the contrary thusfar.
          Your pattern recognition skills suck. :)

• Alichat says:

Where on this page or anywhere on this site does it say we are not allowed to express disappointment with a show? It says ‘Comments’…..not ‘Only Positive Comments’. It also does not say insult those who post a comment you don’t like.

6. Thea puts a “speedy” end? Really? Did you even consider avoiding the pun?

7. herman1959 says:

OK, now I get to say this about Arrow: Everything just happened! I can’t wait to see how they get Oliver out of his predicament and reestablish “The Green Arrow” per the newspaper article that Iris (West-Allen) will write in 2024. One thing – I have to say that Laurel was so much better than Felicity in this episode…yes I said it, but I can’t believe it either.

• rinaex says:

I can. I don’t know what they’re doing with Felicity.

• Patrick says:

I have to say, what has happened to Felicity makes sense. She had a sort of Pollyanna view of Ollie’s vigilante nights. She treated it the way Cisco treats it on Flash. Felicity views the entire thing as a grand adventure, or a video game almost. She doesn’t understand that the Arrow isn’t the disguise. Ollie is the disguise (they couldn’t use Batman on TV, so they retconned the Arrow). Felicity wants Ollie to be “normal” when he isn’t costumed up, doling out beat downs on the mean streets. She wants a world where Ollie can be the Arrow without anyone getting killed, and with none of the good guys getting hurt. And when things don’t fall in line with her rosy, optimistic plan, Felicity doesn’t react well. She is starting to realize that hard decisions have to be made, and she doesn’t like that. She really is a “geek” in the best sense of the word. And the Geek within her is starting to realize that Ollie isn’t playing a game. Its a bad world, and there are sometimes bad things that have to be done in order to reach a good outcome.

• Christina says:

The endgame? I think it is this Damien Dahrk character that they teased in today’s episode. with the whole hive thing and all. That’s season 4 all over it. And it is going to be good!

• lichcoin says:

Here is hoping that Tina returns in season 4 as Felicity’s nemesis. The hack battle between Felicity and her over the control of the robotic bee hive was so fun last time she appeared on the Flash. I hope HIVE recruits her. More relevance to her character if they have to face a recurring hack villian alligned with the Big Bad of season 4.

• ninamags says:

Your assessment is spot on, Patrick. You have crystalized other peoples’ thoughts eloquently.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The Canary persona, coupled with the Nyssa bonding, has done wonders for Laurel in recent weeks, yes.

• Boston2AZ says:

Full disclosure – you loved her in Supernatural, didn’t you? C’mon, Matt! Admit it!

• Tierna says:

I’m going to be the lone person that agrees with you. Although I think it’s more because of the Nyssa bonding.

• If only Cassidy could act sigh

• dancmh says:

If I ever need a window broken in a way that will do absolutely no harm to a hostile, attacking neighbor, I know who to call.

• Dmac says:

I completely agree. I think after another rocky start Laurel has come into her own this season. Being the Black Canery suits her and you can tell the actress put some work in over the break to ready herself. Oddly enough to me the tougher she becomes the less rough she seems.

I never ever thought I would say this, but I am a fan of her character this season.

• Shelley says:

I really liked Nyssa in tonight’s episode.

• nashieb says:

I thought we all agreed the shapeshifter from the flash’s shapeshifting sister took over felicity’s body this season. That’s why Ra’s Al Ghuliver goes to CC; to finally get her back, no?

8. GirlvsTV says:

So, in the last 2 seasons Arrow has killed off none of its prominent male characters and four of its female characters (5 if you count Sara twice). Literally had one of their female characters be brainwashed into becoming a murderer without her consent earlier this season and now we have a storyline involving another female character who is gay being forced to marry a heterosexual man to ‘unite the blood.’ Not only are the writers ripping off major storylines from other sources, but they are doing it in the most offensive way possible. Congratulations, I guess?

PS – I’m not even getting into the fact that they stuck the kick-ass Felicity Smoak in a super lame ‘Which Guy Will I Choose?’ plot during the second half of this season.

• herman1959 says:

You bring up a lot of good points, but allow me to focus on one: the writers ripping off storylines from other sources. Evidently this is catching because last week Scandal ripped off The Black List and The Americans in the same episode and nobody blinked. Maybe it’s becoming so common that most people don’t notice anymore.

• nashieb says:

Again, when did they say Nyssa was gay?!!!

• GirlvsTV says:

She had a longstanding relationship with Sara and she flirted with Felicity in last season’s finale. So we’ve seen two instances of her attraction to women and I don’t recall ever seeing it implied she was attracted to men. She could still be bisexual, but I don’t really think the show has given viewers a reason to think that is the case. If they do next week, I’m sorry, but I call shenanigans by the writers to make this storyline less squicky. If they intended her to be bisexual they’ve had all season to lay groundwork for that and they haven’t.

• nashieb says:

I flirt with girls and I’m straight. Sara flirted with Felicity yet she’s bi.

• GirlvsTV says:

Since I guess I wasn’t clear enough, my point is that Sara was established as bisexual on the show because she was attracted to (and had relationships with both a woman and man). Given what we have seen on the show up until this point, it would seem more likely that Nyssa is gay because we’ve seen her attraction to both Sara (and to a lesser extent Felicity) but we’ve never seen her demonstrate an attraction to a male character. I’m not saying it isn’t possible that she is bisexual, but I don’t think the show has given us a reason to think she is and they have given us a reason to think she is gay.

• WarpedSage says:

It is quite possible Nyssa is bisexual. Yes, only the female attraction has been shown, but she also has so many daddy issues I don’t see openly flirting with men as her character even if she is hetero as well.

• tyranthraxus says:

Im not sure on that either. I mean yes she has kissed Sara ,,, passionately, but from just that … I wouldnt neccesarily think she way Gay.

Nobody counts Tommy Merlyn as a core character from Season 1?

• Alia says:

Agree, agree, agree…although they did kill Tommy and Shado’s dad (his name escapes me). Tommy, at least, was a primary character.

And, yeah, what they’ve done to Felicity is super awful and sad.

• GirlvsTV says:

Yeah, but that was season 1 when I still had hope this show might actually avoid overused, predictable tropes. I was referring to s2 and 3 in my initial post. Once they killed off Shado it was like open season on the ladies of Arrow.

• Rob Watkins says:

It’s open season on pretty much all characters except Oliver. Are you claiming they can’t kill women just men? Or they have to have an equal ratio of men to women killed? I fail to see your point.

• GirlvsTV says:

I’m not ‘claiming’ anything. Over the last 2 seasons every major character death has been a woman and they have all died in very brutal ways. I think they’ve treated their major female characters very poorly and I find that disappointing. In no way am I trying to push a ‘political’ agenda, but as a woman I find very disheartening to see these types of story lines played out over and over again in TV and movies. I’d once hoped that Arrow would avoid those pitfalls and be more original, but that obviously isn’t going to happen.

• Rob Watkins says:

But they also have one of the highest counts of badass females on any show I’ve seen, but lets not count those for some reason. Who cares if it’s brutal? Death is death. It’s not like the male deaths have been much nicer.

• chuckiechk says:

Yao Fei

• Rob Watkins says:

In other words, you don’t watch TV, you care about a political agenda! They aren’t portraying Ra’s forcing the marriage as a good thing, he’s the villain.

• Dr.Sally says:

Well, we all know that women are evil B%#ch’s…don’t we!

9. James D says:

definitely one of the better episodes this season. very cool to see the canary cry in action I’m not ashamed to admit I geeked out there. I’m still disappointed that they went this way with Ra’s but it was kind of cool to see Oliver be a complete jerkface. I really don’t understand why they had to turn this show into a complete soap opera, yes it has always been dramatic, and yes one could argue it’s always been a little soap operay. but this season has crossed the line with it IMO if I wanted to see a character cry or get weepy every five minutes I’d watch an old Greta Garbo movie. it seems I’ve been criticizing this series a lot during the course of this season, and believe me it doesn’t make me happy I love this show, but to me it just hasn’t lived up to it’s potential this year. I will happily watch the final to episode though, even though it seems pretty clear Oliver won’t release a bio-weapon on Starling City, but maybe Ra’s will anticipate that and do it himself.

• B says:

This season isn’t as good. It just isn’t. I keep hoping the quality will tick up…

IMO, they are so focused on creating shocking twists every episode that they are forgetting to tell a good story overall. I’m hoping that they drop that trend with some sort of change by the end of the season, but I’m not holding my breath.

• lichcoin says:

James & B: I think a big part of what has been called Arrow’s season 3 disaster might hav been because the original producers have bigger plates to focus on unlike the good old days of season 2. Flash had to be incorporated into the mythos and so the team had to expand to people tht wouldn’t necessarily be up to speed in Arrow so that the inner circle that knows the plans of what lies ahead for the shared universe could executive produce that one too.

And Greg Berlanti is also producing Supergirl and whether or not that ends up as part of the mythos as well, that’s more brain cells used in another show’s direction by the inner circle of producers who is in the know about the shared universe’s future.

So, Arrow season 3 happened while they were fleshing out details without a key new co-showrunner. That changed 7 days ago, when Wendy Mericle was promoted fromw riter and co-producer to co-showrunner for season 4 and she wrote several of my favorite Arrow episodes. So, yeah, things are looking brighter at the end of the tunnel as far as I am concerned, which gives me much higher hopes for season 4.

10. aunni says:

love it when Felicity said “Don’t dare to touch me”

11. Patrick says:

This entire move by Oliver is a deep cover, covert assignment from Waller and ARGUS to get inside the League. Its two fold. One the one hand, its to recover the alpha and omega device, and the other prong is to gather intel on HIVE. Waller learned that an old League member founded and/or runs the HIVE, and she needed an operative on the inside. Ollie is it. She ID’d him as a likely recruit for the League, and has orchestrated events to put Ollie close to Al-Ghul.

12. I’m liking the show less and less each week. I’m sticking it out til the finale, but if this Ras al Ghul stuff continues in season 4, I’m not sure I’ll be watching. Ras has never interested me and there’s too much of him, so I’ve been really bored these past few weeks. If anyone knows the endgame, feel free to spoil it for me to get me excited again.

• Christina says:

• Unfortunately I know nothing about DC comics, so that doesn’t bring me any excitement. As long as the Ra’s storyline wraps up by season’s end, I’ll stick around, though.

• Sil says:

I agree with you. This Ra’s story line does nothing for me. I’ll be glad when it’s over. The only part of Ra’s story that was interesting was his reveal to Oliver about HIVE and Damian Darke.

• Stella says:

Lol. Not enjoying the Ras storyline as well and hoping they wrap it up in season 3.

13. Heidi says:

I liked the “Darth Oliver”. Felicity is always better when she’s not mooning about. At the pronouncement that Oliver/Al Sah-Him/Wareeth al Ghul will marry Nyssa, he would finally align himself with a strong woman. One could almost see the wheels turning as Ra’s made the declaration. He could do worse, I suppose.

• herman1959 says:

Except, they can’t stand each other .

• AddieM says:

I really enjoyed Oliver/Al Sah-Him in this episode, I love dark Oliver. I honestly hope the wedding goes on. Obviously there’s no love there, it’s all about two powerful bloodlines coming together. Felicity is getting more and more useless with every episode, she has no purpose anymore other than tearing up in every scene.
      And in next week’s promo team Arrow seem to have traveled back to Nanda Parbat and Felicity is with them…and again I ask why?
      She’s a weak link, she can’t fight so why is she even there, if not for annoying the H outta everyone with her weeping and begging.

14. JP says:

Thoughts of Felicity’s dad being Damien_Darhk??

Just a thought based On the mini Bio attached to the article.

15. breezy says:

I love this show! Oliver is strong. He made it 5 yrs on the island…He can make it through this too. He and Felicity need to be together.

16. nashieb says:

Aldo I called the whole #Olinyssa engagement/possible wedding a week b4 the sweeps. Coz I’m awesome!!!

17. It ruined the whole show, I mean u might as well call the show “Al- Sahimm”

• Emily says:

Technically it is. Al-Sahim is Arabic for “The Arrow.”

• tyranthraxus says:

Guys.. even when this storyline is resolved with the LOA, Oliver STILL cannot go back to being the Arrow. He cannot, because of the news story. The Arrow ‘died’ when ‘Roy’ died. So that name is kaput.. kinda like ‘The hood’ identity.

Im struggling to think of a way for Oliver to again become a masked .. Hero? in Starling City.

• herman1959 says:

Touche,Emily!

18. Nicholas says:

Loved Al-Sahim…anyone who believes that oliver is brainwashed hasn’t been watching the show for the past three years…there is some undercover stuff going on. We will all be shocked by the season finale.

Darth Oliver-Felicity cracks me up. Thea and Felicity, I mean it only took 61+ episodes to speak, but it was well done. Need more Thea kicking butt in season 4. YAAAY Diggle and a mask…Overall a great episode.

19. Drew says:

I am not going to bother with a long opinion of the episode. The season as a whole is really bad, so I am just done caring until next year.
    Two thoughts though:
    1. The LoA should hire that street thug from the opening of the episode. He kicked Laurel’s butt while two of their assassins couldn’t defeat her.
    2. Felicity should be the new Ra’s. Apparently they take orders from her now.
    Bonus thought: lame storyline, but I was still kinda psyched to see Speedy.

• nashieb says:

Lol i thought the same about her being able to fight off 2 sworded up assassins at once but not some street thug with 2 tiny knives

• Drew says:

Okay. Wait. Just read the recap closely and I am amazed that nobody has commented on this gem: “Diggle, double-fisting Lyla and Canary”
      I know I’m not the only one who had to read that part twice.

• Rob Watkins says:

1. They did beat her, she was on the losing end of the fight.
      2. What?

• Drew says:

There shouldn’t have been a fight. Laurel isn’t close to being ready for that.
        Felicity told the assassin not to touch her, and he listened! She keeps bossing these people around and yet she isn’t dead yet. For all the complaining that people do about Laurel not being ready to be in the field, Felicity is just breezing through it. Last week, she knocked out an assassin! How is she alive?

• The Kaibosh says:

Because she’s a Mary Sue.

• KIRIA says:

Just an FYI, the assassin actually took the order from Oliver, if you notice when she said not to touch her he looked back at Oliver and Oliver slightly lowered his head giving Maseo the okay not to touch her.

• Drew says:

It’s still stupid. They were there knowing that they would be at odds with Oliver’s friends… so they’re going to be cool with not checking those friends for weapons? It made no sense.

• Brigid says:

I think Laurel is ready to fight, more so then Thea. She’s been training all season and training hard with Nyssa, Thea trained for 3 months with Malcolm and went after Ra’s. The attack in the beginning of the ep, she was slashed with a knife and the League guys took her down. I’m not sure why you think she bested them when she was laying on the ground at the end of the fight. Also, Maseo listened to Oliver, not Felicity. He clearly turned to Oliver and Ollie nodded to stand down. I’m guessing your dislike for this season caused you to not really pay attention to detail.

• Drew says:

I am paying attention to detail. Oliver is supposedly so brainwashed that he will kidnap Lyla, kill his friends if he has to, and destroy his city (of course he won’t, but that’s the act he’s putting on). So we’re going to believe that he will just not search Felicity because she says so? That should have been the easiest decision he made all day!
            But yeah, I’ve already written this season off. That’s why I can be forgiving of, say… Everyman playing Dr. Wells far too perfectly on The Flash, but I don’t forgive much on Arrow anymore. The pile of bad writing is too high and every little thing brings us that much closer to the show falling apart entirely. If next season doesn’t improve as soon as it premieres, this show will be the next Revenge.

• Rob Watkins says:

I hate when people think they have some insight into ratings. Arrow is on the CW, and if they aren’t going to boot off Smallville after some terrible writing, they aren’t going to boot off Arrow. If you don’t like the show any more just don’t watch.

And it wasn’t because Felicity said so, it was because Oliver told his subordinate not to.

And Everyman playing Wells too perfectly? That’s not even nitpicking, that’s you looking for crap to complain about even if it’s a non issue.

• AddieM says:

This ^^^ @Rob

• Rob Watkins says:

She’s getting better by leaps and bounds. You do know that not everyone in the League is equally good, don’t you? Laurel is training with Nyssa, one of the League’s best.

Ra’s isn’t going to kill Felicity for standing up to her, so that’s a non issue.

20. Tom says:

Damien Dahrk is the big bad for S4 and he’s also Felicity’s father. Guaranteed.

21. ImperatoreFormaggio says:

“To that end, capping a rather epic melee that pitted Diggle, double-fisting Lyla and Canary…”

Excuse me. I’ll be in my bunk.

22. Michelle says:

To the is Nyssa lesbian or Bi question: There’s an mtv interview Katrina Law did where she clearly refers to Nyssa as lesbian.
    Thus I’m taking my cue from the actress as to the grossness of this wedding.
    Not only is she being forced into a straight marriage (archaic), it’s also to her lover’s ex boyfriend.
    If Oliver was marrying a random LoA member I could still deal, but this is pretty off in my opinion.

• GirlvsTV says:

So much word. I really hate that they are doing this to Nyssa. I hope she gets to kill R’as herself.

• Drew says:

I don’t get why people are caught up with the lesbian thing. It is a forced marriage either way. Would it be less offensive if she were forced to marry a woman that she had no interest in?
      This has nothing to do with whether or not she is a lesbian. Oliver is straight… Still probably doesn’t want to marry her any more than she wants to marry him.

• Michelle says:

I agree with you on the arranged marriage thing being a problem regardless, but, and I say this with no malice intended ; if you cannot understand why a storyline forcing a lesbian into a straight marriage is offensive, this is not the forum for me to explain it to you.

• m3rcnate says:

Amen.
          How many people are murdered on this show?
          How unfair and disgusting for her (a murderer of 100’s, many innocent) to be forced to marry a man she isn’t attracted to? Not that it would compare to anything else on the show (you know, the murdering) but its not like they are being forced to have sleep together, its just a invalid (no government would sign off on it) wedding ceremony.

• Drew says:

It is all offensive! The marriage is offensive either way. Slaughtering half a city in order to get Oliver to give himself to the LoA is offensive. Raising Nyssa from birth to be a ruthless murderer is offensive. Drugging Oliver until he is cool with dropping a plague on an entire city is offensive.
          Marriage in some cultures, and as Ra’s is viewing it, is not about love and desire. It is a business arrangement where you produce an heir and have whatever flings you want for your own fun on the side. Trying to apply modern morals and political correctness onto the League of Assassins is… What is a non-offensive way of saying “crazy”?
          Their existence is offensive. Not appreciating his daughter’s preference of women is probably the least offensive thing that man has done in his life… And I am including his chat with Felicity last week, which was offensive to the sense of good writing.

• Teresa Rhoda says:

This is not about Nyessa’s sexual orientation. It is about her womb and bloodline.

• Rob Watkins says:

You can’t seem to understand they aren’t painting it as a good thing. I’m tired of people caring more about a political agenda than the story. Apparently no one can tell a story that someone might fight offensive. This has nothing to do with Nyssa being gay.

• kath says:

It’s rape. That’s not a political agenda, it’s a human rights one.
            Her gender orientation just makes it worse.

23. Nyssa is gay. That is firmly established. I thought her and Laurel were going to be an item!

• m3rcnate says:

Firmly….when? I dont remember her being for a fact gay (as in not attracted to men). Maybe it was quickly mentioned and you remember it and i dont but my recollection was that she was either like Sara which is to say in that harsh environment she loved the person for who they are not their gender, or was straight up Bi.

• ami says:

Right when she was introduced the creators said in interviews that she’s lesbian, and recently in interview for MTV Katrina Law further discussed her character’s homosexual orientation.

24. m3rcnate says:

Wait, i thought Kim Kardashian was “Bride of the Demon”?
    This episode was quite good. Laurel is improving now that she is getting scenes where she is getting more independent story lines. Some dialog with a female friend that isnt about a guy is also good. Add this + last weeks ep + the Flash cameo she had and she is really really improving as a character (aka the writing is finally getting better).
    Okay if Oliver marries (and eventually sleeps with) Nyssa he will have slept with every female character ever on the show besides his family right? Lol. That means he will have slept with sisters (Laurel and Sara) and Laurel’s new friend (Nyssa) and Sara’s lesbian lover (Nyssa)…not to mention having just slept with Felicity. Dang.
    I actually like the forcing of Nyssa and Oliver together, it will be fun and interesting to watch if she actually starts to warm up to him and him to her, idk if i want to see them officially get together or not (interesting would be if they did then he eventually broke his brain washing and was like “WHOA WHAT?! No i love Felicity!” and all the fallout that entails. However i will say this is the last time this show gets to bring Felicity and Oliver together and then at the last second break them apart. Its been like 3 times now…dont over play this Arrow writers, you got one lass straw left, dont break it.
    My one gripe? DAMN the Arrow team bailed on Oliver fast. I mean he is brainwashed…after two encounters they give up on him and say he is done-zo? Un-fixable? That doesnt line up with what we have seen in the past (the helping and forgiveness to Roy for his mind altered actions, for Nyssa and Sara’s past as assassins, and Thea and her brain washed murdering of Sara). This show has established that they help those that are under the influence (drugs, mind control, etc) and that they forgive them when all is said and done. Yet for the main lead that everyone loves they give-up on him in the matter of 12 hours?

• Bratman says:

He didn’t sleep with Syn/Sin/Cin/Cyn or h/e her name is spelled.

• brenna says:

It has seemed that they have given up on him pretty quickly a couple of times this year. But at the same time, it seems that they haven’t truly given up. We’ll see how it all plays out.

• I’m absolutely positive Kanye West is “Bride of the Demon”. You have your spouses reversed there.

• m3rcnate says:

A man can’t be a bride, only a groom. Hence why i went with Kim being the bride of the demon. Kayne is horrible but hes even worse with Kim.

25. Datya says:

Matt, I believe the opening was “For three years I worked to save my city”, not two…

26. JayJay says:

When Ra’s came up with the arranged marriage idea Oliver’s reaction showed Oliver is still in there. I agree with some of the other posters – this, among other things, may have to do with the recovery of the bio weapon. This close visiting the dark side is also going to firmly establish Oliver in his own identity.
    When the honor killing did not work on Nyssa (she declared she was no longer afraid of him) Ra’s decided to keep her alive to further torment her and annihilate her by forcing her in a marriage that negates her sexual identity and very being – marriage which most likely is not going to happen. By asking of Oliver to deploy the bio weapon on Starling City Ra’s also went back on his promise to keep Oliver’s loved ones safe making Oliver’s sacrifice pointless. As a villain he embodies the totalitarian who enjoys destroying others in their individual core- he runs deep as a character: the patriarch father, the dictator of a group/country who annihilates his people from the inside out. The war against him is a physical as well as a psychological one -more than with other villains thus far in the series.
    As this season has also been about expansion – see Malcolm becoming a bit more human through Thea – maybe the LoA will be somehow retained as a resource for Green Arrow and new alliances will be forged.
    It was great to see Thea get in the field, Laurel had some good dialogue and the Canary Cry was cool. Oliver looked like he spent the past 3 weeks sitting in front of the TV watching reruns of survivor, stuffing his face with pie. Intrigued about the next 2 episodes.

27. acurat says:

Posted correctly on that guess – that Narrisa and Ollver were to get maried. That was the only logical outcome when the showrunner announced that. It is fun to guess what is going to happen correctly before the episode airs.

28. Really??? says:

Thea better stay put. I never saw the utility of Roy though, he is the typical empty character that looks good on screen but who does not bring anything to the intrigue so his leaving , in my opinion, is justified. On the other hand, Thea has developed to become a lovable and interesting character, her hate of her father and her love for her brother as well as her strength and her beauty give her a few layers, she should definitely be part of the super team.

29. Lucifer says:

Felicity just broke my heart in this episode. To see oliver so Evil really sucks. Please give me more felicity/thea and delicity scenes

• brenna says:

I agree. It was hard to watch after last week. Loved Thea/Felicity and the Diggle/Felicity scenes. The last scene with Felicity in the Arrow lair made me want to cry with her. So many great things happened there, and that part of the show is over.

30. George Moss says:

Nice looking forward to next week.

31. Pat says:

Seeing Oliver like this is making me ill. I hope by the season finale, that his character is returned back to being the Arrow. Also, I noticed that Felicity might have had an eye infection in her left eye? It is the mother in me and I tend to notice these things.

32. Alex says:

It would be wise to make the end story, when Oliver was announced Al Sah-Him.
    Perfect ending. Instead, they continued with nonsense :-( I guess, next series will be pathetic.

33. Ellie says:

I’m smelling a season 7 Burn Notice conspiracy happening here. Double agent or double double agent is the question. Admittedly, not the exact same storyline but I’m beginning to wonder if this is a ruse. Or at least if it isn’t, the student will have been trained to defeat the master by the end of the season. Loved last nights episode. I basically felt like Felicity and Diggle the whole episode but I have faith in the writers that all the dark angst will be worth it in the end. Oh, and I’m not even worried about the wedding. I live in a constant Olicity happy bubble. Bring on the pain!!!!

• brenna says:

I agree. I keep hoping that Oliver has an underlying plan to defeat Ra’s, because he is learning how. Can’t wait til he is back to being his hero self!

34. Anna says:

Soooo can we all agree to stop the flashbacks now? Yes? Okay, good then.

• The flashbacks are the best thing about the show no Felicity or Laurel makes them easier to watch

• LOL — You are alas, incorrect. We’ve had one or two Laurel-infected flashbacks before.

I’m with Anna – Down with the pointless, worthless flashbacks that just waste time. It feels like the writers aren’t capable of writing a full episode that takes place in present-day, so they have to pad.

• Mary says:

I don’t think the flash backs are the best thing on the show. I find them boring and actually distracting.

35. Don Chano says:

Arrow was one of the shows I hoped to enjoy.
    the writers haven’t a clue how to handle him too bad.

36. Imzadi says:

What was the point of Malcolm’s brief appearance? He asks Thea what she needs him to do–and then he splits, not to be seen again (at least in this episode!).

37. MY WIFE AND LIKED THIS SHOW A LOT. BUT THE STATION IT WAS ON MUST HAVE CLOSED. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF ANOTHER CHANNEL. THANK YOU .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

38. Oliver says:

On the bright side the show goes much faster when I FF through any and every scene with BC. I like Nyssa but I just cannot watch a single moment with Katie Cassidy any longer. The funny thing is, it has NO effect on the plot at all. She is just the worst character/actress on television.

39. Jonathan Wadsworth says:

This has got to end! Oliver belongs with team Arrow!

40. Gordon Rick says:

IMO Thea laced the arrow she shot Oliver with an herb to release his mind from Ra’s control. That is what Meryln told / gave Thea when she asked for his help. He will break free before he bed’s Nyssa / exposes Starling City to the bio weapon.

41. DonnaMama says:

When did Thea learn how to use a bow and arrow, I thought she only used swords?? Never saw her with an arrow

• Anonymous says:

I think Merlyn taught her how to use a bow and arrow because it was the only way of framing Oliver for killing Sara, when he used Thea to do it. He probably taught her the same way with swords and whatnot, as ‘training’, when he was really grooming her for that sole reason.

• chuckiechk says:

during the first season when Ollie returns home and is her bedroom, there are several awards and trophies for archery

• kath says:

In season 1, when there is a scene in Thea’s bedroom, you can see a whole bunch of trophies for archery that she won at school.

42. brenna says:

Last week’s episode, The Fallen, was so awesome watching Oliver with all of those great moments with the people he loves, and heroically giving up so much. It made it hard to watch this episode and see him so unfeeling and so bad! I’m really hoping he has an underlying plan to defeat Ra’s and is playing the part, or I can’t wait until he comes out of his herb-induced haze. He’s so good at being the hero. We need him back! I like someone’s theory that Thea laced her arrow with something to counteract the herbs. MG has said that the wedding will definitely happen. There is so much drama right now that I think the wedding is unnecessary drama. However, we’ll see how it all comes together. I hope Oliver and Nyssa end up working together to defeat Ra’s, along with the rest of Team Arrow. By the end of the season, I think that the Flash going back in time may change some of the things that have happened. I do hope they leave us in a decent place for the summer. I don’t mind having questions about it, but I don’t want to be sad about Arrow for the entire summer. (And I like Felicity and Thea. The Darth-Oliver was pretty funny. Thea saying Felicity was “normal… ish.” ) Love Thea this year.

43. Luis says:

OK, I have some questions.
    1.So basically, “Arrow” writers have gone full discount “Batman,” using Oliver and Nyssa as stand-ins for Bruce and Talia?
    2.Was Nyssa on a date with the sister of her dead ex-lover? That’s practically a Hallmark movie, or a soap opera plot.
    3. So not only have this season’s flashbacks been utterly lame save for the presence of Tatsu and Maseo, they’ve now connected the flashbacks to the present in perhaps the lamest way possible?
    Still and all, it was all nearly redeemed by the sight of Thea putting an arrow into Oliver. I do believe Thea is my favorite character on the show.

44. Oddie says:

I believe Oliver is faking being as Al Sahim. He cant chanve overnight taht easily!! He has a plan under his sleeve in order to follow Ra;s orders but at the same time protect the ones he loves. I mean there are certain things that are not showed on screen but only implied tha tis why some situations we dont see a story developing on the show but it is there.

• nashieb says:

It was weeks nit overnight. Listen to Felicity’s convo with diggle when she says the inly thing that’s been getting her outta bed these past weeks…

• nashieb says:

It was weeks not overnight. Listen to Felicity’s convo with diggle when she says the only thing that’s been getting her outta bed these past weeks…

• KatsMom says:

Not to mention, there were clearly several days flashing by over the course of the intro sequence. Plus, Ra’s noted at the beginning of the show that Oliver had changed over the course of the last “3 weeks” too…before “Diggle” showed up.

45. The Kaibosh says:

Oliver is not faking it. He is indeed in a chemically enhanced, brainwashed haze. The “real” Oliver, the “hero” Oliver is still in there and will need a jolt to come out. He will either get bashed in the head, electrocuted or shocked in some other way. OR…. since this show likes to borrow (cough..rip off..cough) from Batman, they’ll borrow from Batman HUSH.

In HUSH, Superman was under Poison Ivy’s spell and it took Catwoman throwing Lois Lane off a rooftop to snap Superman out of it. Naturally he flew up and saved Lois from falling to her death….. I see a similar scenario with Felicity seconds from dying and Oliver coming to his senses just in the nick of time to rescue her.

46. Mattie says:

I beleive Oliver is under the influence of some vudu juice he is hypnotized or under the influence of drugs that are making him behaving like his behaving now, acting like mercenary, bad ass, killer . He has to be this way to make a point to Ra’s he has to fullfill the end of his bargain. Ra’s need a proof he is worth of becoming the Demon’s head so that is why Oliver is doing it now, look it that way. It could be that deep down in his brain Oliver is still there, but that switch is turn off for now so he can be a League of Assassin member, someone has to trigger his good side again and turn the switch back on but maybe that we will see that next season. Oliver cant be seen as a weak guy in the eyes of Ra’s he has to be seen like a very strong guy suitable for the title. Lets see how the stories unfold from here to the season finale.

Just enjoy the show people. Stop with the harsh criticism. This is not real life it is pure entertainment. Do not take storylines too personal, cause I see some fans do taht.
    I know that sometiems we do not like certain storylines it is normal, but if you watch a show only to look at the flaws you are not enjoying the show at all. Stop looking at the flaws and look at the positive things, besides the actors of the show wont want to read criticism they will like to hear nice things on the show they star in, even if for many of us the show episodes could be not as good as we expect it to be.

47. Seahawks 12th Man says:

OK, this episode was alright. They Could have done more to this episode, but maby that is me. but i Read something this morning on the future of these Comics shows and we will see Hawkgirl played by Ciara Renée,, Teaming up with Green Arrow, Firestorm, The Flash and Captain Cold. Everything that is gonna happen on CW will be awesome!

• Seahawks 12th Man says:

Oh and i forgot to mention, i stated the name “Green Arrow” not just “Arrow” so Oliver will soon be called Green Arrow not Arrow. So cool, And about time!

48. Briggs says:

Unfortunately, I missed the bulk of the new monologue, but that’s clever. Good on Arrow for being creative.
    Oliver as Al Sah-Him was hard to watch, but something tells me he’s not all the way under. It’s just… something is off. I saw it when he agreed Felicity didn’t need to be searched, and when Thea threatened to put one in his eye. I don’t think Ra’s understands how far down Oliver’s devotion to his loved ones really goes. He ‘missed a spot.’
    Speaking of Thea, I like how she found new purpose. The fans have been saying she needs something to do, then she said it, then she did something about it. Good girl, Thea. Keep going.
    Felicity was once again in top form. She crossed the spectrum of Strong and Vulnerable during this episode, and I loved it. Her delivery of the line, “Don’t you dare touch me,” was spot-on. Fabulous.
    Someone accused the show of ‘queer-baiting’ with this episode, and it *did* appear as if they were trying to put Laurel and Nyssa together. But I don’t know. I mean, if you pretend for a moment that Nyssa is straight, do those scenes read the same way? Something to think about.
    I’m on the fence about calling Nyssa innocent. Yes, she did absolutely nothing to deserve what’s being heaped on her now by her father (essentially being turned into a brood mare), but she *has* killed a lot of people. So, I guess it depends on what side of the fence you happen to fall on. (For the record, I think everyone deserves at least some happiness in this life, but this being a drama, it doesn’t always happen.)
    There we go. We have the cry. Did it get explained how she’s not blowing out her own eardrums, though?
    Poor Diggle. I mean, Lyla got her own back when Felicity handed her the guns (yay for the weapons mule!), but that had to be terrifying. Did anyone catch who they left Sara with?
    Thea going to see Roy. Now that I’ll watch. I’ll miss their relationship, but I’m glad they’re giving them closure, of a sort. Too often, that just doesn’t happen.
    The looks of the ‘bride’ and ‘groom’ when they recieved the news was priceless. Clearly, neither of them wants the union.
    One reason to be glad the season is almost ending: No more Hong Kong! This sounds terrible, but just kill the kid already. We know he’s dead, just kill him. Though finding out about the Alpha-Omega weapon is kind of a good reason to have them happening, at the moment. Kind of.
    I can’t wait to see what ‘offer’ Malcolm gives the team in the next episode. :)

49. Diz says:

This show has gone so far off course it’s almost become unwatchable for me. Why doesn’t Oliver just kill everyone in the league & if not everyone just the old man and become the leader of all the other followers and be done with it.

50. harperchase says:

I really enjoyed this episode. The scenes between Laurel & Nyssa and Felicity & Thea were fantastic tonight. It’s nice to finally see some scenes with those characters to flesh out those relationships a little more. Also, Thea is killing it. I cannot wait until she officially becomes part of Team Arrow.

Have to say, I’m not the slightest bit worried about this “marriage” between Oliver & Nyssa. I have a gut feeling its not going to happen. Trollenheim is at it again, trying to freak is all out.