Aquarius Twist: NBC to Release Entire David Duchovny Series Early

Aquarius Trailer

NBC is taking a “if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em” approach with its new drama Aquarius.

In an unprecedented move for a broadcaster, the Peacock network has announced that it will Netflix release all 13 episodes of David Duchovny’s Charles Manson-themed thriller on NBC.com and other on-demand platforms immediately after the show’s two-hour NBC premiere on Thursday, May 28.

“With Aquarius we have the opportunity to push some new boundaries to give our audience something no broadcast network has done before,” said NBC Chairman Bob Greenblatt in a statement. “We are fully aware how audiences want to consume multiple episodes of new television series faster and at their own discretion, and we’re excited to offer our viewers this same experience since all 13 episodes of this unique show have been produced and are ready to be seen.”

In the 1960s-set series, Duchovny plays a Los Angeles police sergeant with a complicated home life who takes note of small-time criminal Manson when he begins recruiting needy women to what becomes his cult. As history records, these members of Manson’s “family” eventually commit various ghastly crimes, including the murders of actress Sharon Tate and supermarket owner Leno LaBianca.

1. fringe30 says:

Very interesting. I will binge them now.

2. j says:

well this is odd. so if ratings fall i’m assuming they’ll factor in website hits and whatnot? or is this a type of show that has a possibility of a second season? can’t remember if this is an event series or what

3. Team ME! says:

when your in last place you try everything , can’t do any worse than American Odyssey

• Kal says:

Actually, NBC is winning the season, thanks to Football.

• David Duchovny Biggest Fan says:

NBC has been winning for the last few seasons thanks to NFL Sunday and The Voice. TV is 3 hours a week which adds more to your total than lets say 1 hour of Empire or an half hour of Big Bang Theory. NBC hasn’t been in last place since the introduction of The Voice in 2012.

4. Phillip says:

Love this idea. Been looking forward to this show ever since I heard about it. Will definitely binge watch.

5. Jared says:

Very smooth NBC..

6. Julie says:

I’m guessing that they are doing this to generate word of mouth buzz from those who binge. Will be interesting to see the ratings for this.

7. Sheila says:

Wow, no confidence in the show at all, eh?

• Liam says:

Why would you think they have no confidence in the show? They acknowledge that viewers prefer to binge watch, so they are trying something new. I for one wish all shows were released like this.

• Matthew says:

Yeah now viewers have the choice they can binge watch all the episodes or they can watch it on a once a week schedule with all the other show released by the networks….this will be interesting I wonder how this works out I hope it is at least moderately successful because this could be interesting

• Matthew says:

lol i just realized that i typed interesting at the end of my post and now my last sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever I totally meant to type cool I don’t know what my fingers were thinking!

• Ken says:

Punctuation would help also since your sentences continually run on. I’m not sure where one sentence should end and another begin.

• Matthew says:

or maybe its the fact that I wrote the comment at like 2 am Ken and I wasn’t thinking about it? I usually do have punctuation but thanks for being that guy…

• Becky says:

Don’t jump on Ken. Punctuation is in style 24 hours a day.

8. herman1959 says:

Excellent! Now, I need to finish House of Cards (which I did not binge-watch this season.

9. JIm J. says:

Release an entire season of a series online before most of them premiere on NBC-TV? A recipe for a potential success or a potential failure? If most of the episodes are released online before they air on TV, there’s the potential for spoilers leaking so easily, and there’s the chance that a viewer who has already watched the online stream of one of the episodes will not even bother to watch that same episode in its linear airing. I suppose all 13 episodes of “Aquarius” must have already been produced by this point for a network to commit a move like this.

• Et Al says:

Spoilers are already out there. Apparently the Manson character kills a bunch of people and ends up in prison.

• dman6015 says:

Actually, I heard that he recruits a bunch of people and becomes this big, cult-like leader. He then supposedly sends them out to do these killings so he doesn’t get his hands dirty. But I understand they did it in a very Helter Skelter fashion, and end up getting caught.

• Stacy says:

Spoilers are always possible, but in this day and age most people are smart enough to ask if you’ve seen the latest episode, etc. Netflix has been doing this for a while, and BBC shows that air months behind in the US don’t seem to be suffering much.

10. This sounds like his movie Kalifornia. it came out in 1992 and it co-stared Brad Pitt, Juliet Lewis, and Michelle Forbes

11. Ali says:

Now they’re cooking with gas! It’s about time we get to watch TV the way we want to.

12. giantslor says:

I was hoping that if Aquarius became a ratings success, it would be a strong lead-in for Hannibal, which has been on the renew/cancel bubble since it started. Now people will be able to watch all of Aquarius before Hannibal even starts, and I’m worried that it won’t be a strong lead-in after all.

13. james says:

I hope Manson isn’t making any money on this. We should have given him the death penalty for what he did.

14. dallas88phan says:

Its also a huge hit on torrenting sites.. I’m not so sure that was a solid idea NBC. Great show however. At least when Netflix does it they actually get people using Netflix to watch there own shows. I don’t know anyone who has purchased an NBC on the go type streamer. DL torrents is bad for business and NBC just found out what HBO had to suffer with the premature 4 ep. G.O.T. leak earlier this season.

15. Amy Henry says:

I love Aquarius! When is Sea son 2 coming?

16. Marika says:

I can’t seem to find any of the un-aired episodes on NBC.com or the NBC app or on my FIOS app. Did they change their mind and pull them?

17. Mendy says:

Thanks for not throwing away such a well written and perfectly cast show. It happens far to often. Can’t wait to see what happens.
    Faithful Viewer

18. linda sayre says:

excellent show, worth renewing. Glad NBC made this decision to Netflix after premiere.