Ratings: Flash Ties S.H.I.E.L.D. in Demo

Agents of SHIELD Ratings

With The Flash rising in the demo and Agents of SHIELD slipping, The CW’s DC Comics-fueled freshman speedster caught up to ABC’s Marvel-ous sophomore drama this Tuesday night.

The Flash this week drew 3.93 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating (per finals), ticking up in audience and rising two tenths in the demo. SHIELD (4.6 mil/1.5) meanwhile enjoyed little afterglow from its special, bigger lead-in — a DWTS anniversary thing, which did 9.9 mil and a 1.7 — and was flat in audience while down a tenth in the demo.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Leading out of SHIELD, a 20/20 special (5.9 mil/1.4) did some 40 percent better than last week’s Forever.

THE CW | iZombie (1.7 mil/0.7) ticked up a tenth.

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (3.3 mil/1.1) dipped a tenth, while New Girl (2.1 mil/1.0) and Weird Loners (1.4 mil/0.6) both ticked up.

NBC | The Voice (9.5 mil/2.2) slipped 15 percent. Undateable (4.5 mil/1.2) and the One Big Happy finale (3.1 mil/0.8) both dropped to season lows. Chicago Fire (6.9 mil/1.6) added a few eyeballs while flat in the demo.

CBS | NCIS (14.9 mil/2.0) was flat in the demo, matching last week’s series low. NCIS: New Orleans (14.6 mil/1.9) ticked up, while Part 1 of Person of Interest‘s season finale (8.5 mil/1.4) ticked down.

1. SHIELD needs to stop losing viewers. The show is too good for that.

• D. says:

agree, it has improved so much

• abz says:

I love the show. Can anyone tell me if I should watch next week’s episode? I’m not going to be able to see the new Avengers movie right away when it comes out on Friday and am wondering if I should hold off on watching the final few episodes of SHIELD because I don’t want the movie spoiled for me.

2. bittickc says:

At what point does iZombie get renewed? It is pulling in the same numbers as The 100.

3. erika says:

NBC comedy era dead dead dead.
    Americans hates NBC .
    R.I.P. NBC

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope POI gets renewed as the series is heading towards the season finale next week.

5. HeatherC says:

Wow, what a rough night for almost everyone! Those are some scary low numbers coming out during sweeps. =P

6. thisismenow says:

Is that a record high for a CW show?

7. kmw says:

Never thought I would see NCIS so low, its neighbor NCIS NO is almost near it.. Good for the Flash. This show has better demo numbers than many big network shows right now

8. Iakovos says:

Not a Marvel guy, but sense SHIELD is a quality production. Surprised it is not the super hit ABC wanted. Is it the time slot? Is the story line? Would it work better on a Sunday, say at 7 or 8 PM?

• Gern Blanston says:

It started out pretty mediocre because it basically had to tread water until Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out (the stories of the show and the movie were intertwined). Once they got past that the show really took off. Unfortunately, so did most of the viewers that initially tuned in.

• abg says:

It has improved but it is hardly must see TV. I liked Agent Carter better. (And Daredevil)

• Angelina says:

You’re obviously a Marvel person…LOL. HATED Agent Carter. Shield I did not last one season with. Daredevil – I managed to watch half one of ep. Love ARROW, love The Flash. I’m going to love Supergirl if it’s picked up – yes, I’m a DC person. :-)

• Robert Dassler says:

Agent Carter and Daredevil are different beasts from the mighty AoS. They both have short runs instead of a 22 episode season and they both exist in their own little bubble-worlds free from the obligation of guiding the MCU to its next event movie. They have it easy.

• Leah says:

I didn’t get past the third episode. I was sort of intrigued when I heard about the Ward twist, but at 22 episodes a season, it’s an investment to get caught up, and reviews remain decidedly mixed. I decided it wasn’t worth it.

• murley says:

In my opinion it is one of the best shows on television right now and certainly one that I most look forward to every week. I don’t think it was bad at the start per say but it definitely built quite slowly, in part due to the tie in with winter soldier. Since then I feel like it tops itself on almost a weekly basis. I am an avid comic book fan but much more into DC Vertigo and Dark Horse than Marvel, which I really don’t read at all. I don’t think you have to be a Marvel fan to be a Sheild fan.

• Megs says:

Being a Joss Whedon fan really helps too :) And I know, I know, he doesn’t write the episodes. But I called a Ward redemption arc last year. Because as much as it’s in the Marvelverse, it’s also in the Whedonverse. They really got screwed with the timing of that Captain America arc. It’s a darned good show and has the hallmarks of the rest of the Whedonverse… strong women, witty dialogue, character development, etc.

9. Andi says:

Haven’t enjoyed an episode of The Flash in while; growing tired of all the crossovers & high jinx that always seems to take the focus off the main cast; but last night episode of The Flash reminded me lot of the pilot episode and why I first fell in love with this show…Cisco, Iris & Wells also stole the show

• ninamags says:

I think the crossovers are cool. It really helps bring to focus the fact that these two shows exist in the same world. I didn’t even know they would have Laurel and her dad the police captain last night.

It was a great episode though Iris continues to grate in her cluelessness.

10. Larry says:

I hope that SHIELD rises when the finalized live ratings come out later today. That episode was too good to tie a series low in the demo.

Anyhow, I think the bigger story is that The Voice is hoovering in the low 2.0’s. That’s getting closer to American Idol territory. And neither of the new episodes of NCIS and NCIS: LA could break 2.0. Every scripted show last night was below 2.0. It makes you wonder where that tageted demo is. It seems a lot of scripted shows hit or tied series lows. Outside of live -and “event” television -It seems the mid to high 1.0’s are getting closer to being the new norm for a lot of scripted television.

• Boiler says:

Larry my guess is, as an older person, that if they bumped the demo age up that networks share of the demo would rise as older folks may watch more network TV. Viewership is nose diving and somehow they need to cater to those that do watch

11. Boiler says:

I know the show is titled iZombie but is the zombie “thing” heavily played or just sort of there. I don’t like zombie shows but I have heard some good stuff about this one. I am losing about 5 hours of shows I watch and hate CW for apparently not continuing Hart of Dixie but may give zombie a chance

• Jon says:

Eh, they’re not exactly your regular type of zombies. The zombies on this show are way too pretty. Think sparkly vampires version of zombies.

• John NYC says:

Homaging Veronica mars, a teenager who solves crimes, this is about a zombie who solves crimes. And there’s a lot of fun along the way as she does so.

• AddieM says:

I don’t watch TWD because I don’t like the zombies as well but I tried iZombie and I was pleasantly surprised it’s not grim at all.
      It’s very upbeat for a show about solving murders and zombies. It’s got a lot of wit, humour and the zombies are hot!
      I’ve moved on from TVD and I’m liking this show very much. I’m glad it’s doing well in ratings, hope it gets renewed.

12. cr says:

Isn’t SHIELD heavily DVR’d? So their numbers will actually pop up in a week.

• John NYC says:

But while that will sooth fans, as people who use DVRs skip (it is assumed) the commercials people who want to buy commercial time on a show don’t care about the time shifters. And people who create the broadcast schedule care about what the people writing checks for the commercials care about.

• Nick says:

Yes, the DVR numbers are very good. The business aspect of it depends on how many of those viewers they think they can convert to live. I think moving it to a different night could solve the issue, honestly. Nobody does particularly well against NCIS properties. I watch SHIELD live or same night every week, because for me it’s been must see since about 10 episodes into Season 1.

• wingsstef says:

Personally, I think the show really started to take off on Episode 5, “Girl in the Flower Dress”, but yes it got even better the second half of the season.

13. D says:

Let’s not forget NBC has been rebuilding its schedule since the Jay Leno primetime debacle of 2009 (or 2010?). The comedy slate is weak and low-rated, for sure; the days of “The Cosby Show” and “Friends” are gone. I know critics salivated over “30 Rock” and “Parks and Recreation,” but those were niche comedies, and they were VERY low-rated. NBC needs to start fresh with comedies. But dramas are another story. “SVU” is 16-years-old and was reinvigorated (if Emmy-ignored) with 2013/2014’s #SaveBenson saga, and the momentum hasn’t stopped. “The Blacklist” is rightfully considered one of TV’s best dramas, and it has dented ABC’s “Scandal” and CBS’s comedy line-up on Thursdays. Dick Wolf’s Chicago-based police and fireman/woman dramas hold their own. And even “The Mysteries of Laura” has the talent to improve if NBC gives it time. Cheers to NBC for keeping “Hannibal,” another nice (read: very violent, very intense) drama; “The Slap” was a misfire, but at least they tried something different. “State of Affairs” should go, for many reasons, but mostly because it’s a lackluster “Homeland” retread, and it doesn’t deserve the post-“The Voice” slot.

14. K2 says:

Even my mother LOVES The Flash and she’s 83 years old!

15. wrstlgirl says:

Best thing to come out of last night’s episode of Shield last night was the mention of The Avengers. Other than that I gotta say meh. Chicago Fire was pretty good with one exception that I won’t even bother with. I enjoyed the new paramedic and her quirky side. I think she’ll fit in just fine.

16. Eric7740 says:

The Flash was amazing last night!!! Way to go Flash!!!

17. Drew says:

I still think that Agents of SHIELD is weak in terms of story and production quality. They had one sequence with Skye fighting bad guys in one continuous shot, which looked like it was trying to recreate the energy of that Daredevil sequence, but something about the look and feel of the show just didn’t allow it to reach that point of realism. The characters are uneven. Their issues are either just magically done away with (Fitz’s brain damage) or just never made into the issues that they really should be (another pretty huge betrayal this season, following the huge betrayal last season, and there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of anger toward those who stabbed them in the back this time. “It’s all good! Round of drinks! Yay!”)
    The Flash has its weak points, but I think it deserves to be doing better than AoS. It is a much stronger production this season… I expect it to go down hill next year, the same way Arrow did when the producers got distracted by their latest project. It’ll be sad if that happens though.

18. It may be time for S.H.I.E.L.D. to bring in some of the bigger name superheroes. I’m sure Charlie Cox would love to show up for an episode or two as Daredevil.

• Drew says:

I think it would feel awkward for Daredevil to appear on AoS, or even with any of the movie characters. That show is such a different animal than any of the others, it even feels weird when they make references to The Avengers on Daredevil.

19. Nick says:

I love Agents of SHIELD. It’s one of my top 10 favorite shows, easy. Creatively, everyone who says it’s crap hasn’t been watching it. But, one of the only shows I love more than SHIELD right now is The Flash. I’m glad that both the CW and The Flash are having success competing with broadcast networks.

• Drew says:

I’ve been watching. Every episode. And I still think it’s crap. I think it’s sloppy and lazy. It’s a fun show, if you don’t think about any character arcs or plotlines too carefully, but that is the main problem with most of the MCU products.

• Robert Dassler says:

Why are you watching you clearly hate? Go and watch something that you will enjoy. It’ll make you feel better. AoS is awesome.

20. SHIELD is the proven example of “You only get one chance to make a first impression” It failed and it is paying for it.

• AddieM says:

True, I’ve not looked back since dropping it in early season 1. People keep saying it’s improved but I find it hard to believe how it could have gotten any better seeing as those first episodes were such a mess.

• abz says:

A lot of shows start off poorly or slowly and then get better as they go on and the same is true for other shows that start of great and then just slowly decline in quality (e.g., Revenge, Scandal, etc.). I think once you get past that first half things pick up and I definitely think it’s worth it. It has been really great this season

21. Alex Mindev says:

NBC has nothing to offer in terms of action/excitement/superhero…my interest in NBC died after FRIENDS ended. They haven’t had a “must see” show to as far as I’m concerned.

I gotta hand it to the CW…both the Flash and iZombie are shows that are on my DVR and both me and my wife watch and enjoy. We were already watching Arrow and HoD.

As far as AoS goes…I really did try to get into that show…I gave it 3 episodes when S1 launched and I just couldn’t do it. Wasn’t interesting at all. Now Agent Carter was a different matter. Maybe it was the tight “mini-series” format…or simply put that Haley Otwell and Bridget Regan put it over the top for me.

I can see where The Flash is winning vs SHIELD…cast is super and the creative team isn’t afraid of taking big chances and holding back stories while “fluffing” their episode order to drag out storylines for the sake of slow and steady payoff. Yes you still get the “reverse flash” season long stuff…but all the guest stars, different characters they’ve introduced, the cool crossovers and just keeping things dynamic in general. Can’t wait to see how S1 ends up.

• murley says:

It bums me out when I see people gave up after 3 episodes and never went back just because it has gotten so good since then! And it seems we have similar taste in television so maybe when all these shows go on summer break you should give Sheild another shot ;)

22. Brigid says:

I don’t know. There are 3 shows that I have to watch live and they are Game of Thrones, The Flash and SHIELD. Everything else I can watch later. These 3 shows, in my opinion are the best right now on tv. Last night’s episodes of The Flash and SHIELD were amnazing and both shows just get better every week. I just don’t see any flaws in SHIELD, it’s fantastic all around. I’ll be bummed if it gets cancelled.

23. Jason says:

Turns out Flash didn’t beat Shield. Those were just preliminary ratings. Shield adjusted up and they essentially tied.

• Christina says:

Glad someone else wanted to point that out too!

• Drew says:

That is still pretty bad, considering that AoS is on ABC and The Flash is CW.

• murley says:

But that is most genre television on network TV, no? Gotham doesn’t seem to be doing spectacularly better. I get that your opinion of the show is that it’s mediocre, and you are entitled to that opinion of course, but I don’t think the ratings indicate the quality as much as the niche factor of it.

24. LB says:

I guess I get some of the NBC comedy hate to a degree, but I actually really like Undateable! It’s not bringing BBT numbers, but 4.6 mil is not too shabby. I know that Chris D’Elia may not be for everyone, but I love the dynamic between he and Brent Morin. Solid stuff. Ron Funches?!?! LOVE. And Bridgit Mendler is just adorable. Now One Big Happy is another story in my opinion…egad. What a waste of Elisha Cuthbert’s talent!

25. Megs says:

Geeze TVLine, what have you got against SHIELD? You rarely cover it (last night’s episode deserved a recap) and when they have great ratings you post a negative headline because they were less than another show in one demographic. Seriously, what have you got against it?

26. Flash>Shield>Arrow>commercials during those 3 shows>every other show mentioned.

27. James says:

Is it possible that Marvel is suffering overkill with it’s ambitious plans during the next few years.
    It has a number of Spin off TV projects and new movies in development, with DC also trying to muscle in (excuse pun) both comic book empires are putting ambition and greed ahead of creative common sense, not surprisingly viewers are getting blasé about super heroes though strangely not about cruelly slaughtering the living dead, which is curious.

28. rosr says:

wow POI shading viewers.

29. Larry says:

I had a feeling that SHIELD was going to rise in the final live rating. The show has been pretty steady -rising and falling .1 throughout the season. A drop or rise of .2 between weeks is always suspect that it has a good chance in being adjusted.