X-Files Vets Glen Morgan, James Wong Returning for Fox's 6-Episode Revival

As far as returning X-Files alums go, these two are almost as big as David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. (Or at the very least, The Smoking Man and Skinner.)

TVLine has learned exclusively that celebrated X-Files writer-producers Glen Morgan and James Wong have inked deals to return for Fox’s upcoming six-episode revival.

According to sources, the longtime collaborators — who were responsible for such seminal episodes as Season 1’s Beyond the Sea and Season 4’s Home and Musings of the Cigarette Smoking Man — will write and direct one episode apiece. Morgan will also serve as an exec producer alongside series creator Chris Carter.

RELATED X-Files Revival: Cigarette-Smoking Man, Walter Skinner Set to Return

Snagging the duo is quite a coup for Fox, and should serve as confirmation that the network is pulling out all the stops to ensure this continuation lives up to fans’ high expectations.

Sadly, another X-Files behind-the-scenes MVP, Vince “Breaking Bad” Gilligan, is not expected to be involved in the revival, which is slated to start shooting this summer.

1. LaurenMC says:

Nice! Come on, Vince G.!

• The Grinch says:

Awesome. I wonder if Frank Spotnitz is signing on? He was basically Carter’s right hand thru the entire run.

2. Wouldn’t it be fab if Archie Panjabi landed a role in this? Her work alongside Gillian Anderson in the BBC series ‘The Fall’ is amazing.

3. Melora says:

Morgan and Wong reportedly did not part on good terms with 1013 back in the day…so this speaks volumes.
    Fox executives must have looked back and realized some of the BEST episodes were from them. David Duchovny remained friends with them too so he probably had a hand in helping getting them back. I hope the show goes back to the quality that was in the earlier seasons.

• Actually, during the 2008 PaleyFest reunion, Carter was very kind to them, which speaks well of his forgiving qualities, given that they tried to kill off Frohike in “Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man” in an alternate version of the episode they tried to submit to Fox against his wishes.

4. Lysh says:

YESS! Get Darin Morgan, too, and this would be perfect.

5. My expectation for this revival is that it pick up from where the ongoing series left off, with the looming threat of an alien invasion in 2012. Did it happen? What form did it take? Is the world still under control of the aliens, or is it coming out of the invasion?

6. Nitemar says:

Great! They wrote some of my all time favorites, Beyond the Sea, Tooms and HOME! Agree also that Glen Morgan and Vince Gilligan should join them.

7. Et Al says:

I hope Showtime is taking notes on how to handle a revival in the event their Twin Peaks project actually happens.

8. Steven says:

Vince needs to be involved. He wrote some of the best episodes!

9. Drew says:

It’s exciting to see some of the old names coming back, but I’m still not sure how excited to get about this project. After the last movie, I had pretty much put The X-Files on my “I don’t need any more of this” list (A list which also features Firefly and Buffy).
    I do wonder if it’s better to have the old names coming back, or if it would be more exciting to hand episodes off to younger writers of today who grew up with The X-Files and could give each episode their own spin. I really don’t need it to be a big alien mythology series, so six solid stand-alone X-Files episodes would be just fine with me.

• Steven says:

The problem with the 2008 movie is it played out like a long boring stand alone episode rather than an event that made it feel necessary to bring back Mulder and Scully. I’m hoping the series has a sense of importance.

• Drew says:

I disagree. The problem with the movie was that it had a stupid plot that nobody cared about (I saw the movie… I can’t even remember the plot) and the two main characters were so far from the people we once knew that it didn’t feel like an X-Files movie at all.
        Add to that some truly strange decisions by the director (the pan up to the George W. Bush picture while the X-Files theme played) and it was hard to believe that anyone involved was even taking the movie seriously.

10. Grey says:

WOOOOOOO!! They wrote the best episodes!!! WOOOOOOOO!! This makes me *VERY* happy. Happy claps!!

11. While some of those Morgan and Wong episodes are good, many are not great, exhibiting a morally simplistic world-view. It’s important to note that Chris Carter rewrote a lot of episodes. If you want to see Wong and Morgan unedited by Chris Carter, watch “Millennium Season 2”; it’s embarrassing in its moral simplicity and unrealistic and ruined a great show with so much melodrama. Still, Michael Perry said Wong was a great editor and I’d prize him over Morgan, who’s getting a higher profile in this revival. Still, I’m excited to see what they’ll do.

Frank Spotnitz, Vince Gilligan, and Darin Morgan would be great, as others here have commented, but I’m MOST excited to see Chris Carter’s work. I especially want to hear another Mulder monologue in a mythology episode!

• Cartman10 says:

Morgan and Wong episodes are phenomenal and Chris Carter himself said that he didn’t rewrite much of episodes such as Home, Beyond the Sea and Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, all near masterpieces or masterpieces in the case of the last one. In fact, he said that he had to rewrite Vince Gilligan’s scripts much more than Glen’s and James’. It’s also not true that they departed on bad terms with him or 1013 in general, it’s something that they always denied despite Chris not being pleased with how the second season of Millennium ended. Darin is already part of the team and Chris is still trying to sign Vince and Frank Spotnitz(who’s writing Man in the High Castle on Amazon).

12. Ken Ackerman says:

How can tact someone from the X Files? A writer or producer?