The Flash Recap: Live. Die. Repeat.

The Flash Recap Iris Learns Secret

This week on The CW’s The Flash, much knowledge was dropped (in some cases, finally), as Barry & Co. got a glimpse into the future and the scarlet speedster sparked something in Iris. But in the end, did the S.T.A.R. Labs team’s trap work, or have a “reverse” effect?

Well, wasn’t that a ton of fun? Episodes like this I privately enjoy watching in advance at the office, because of the spontaneous bursts of laughter I unleash on those within earshot, such as when Cisco got a gander at Gideon’s next-next-next-next-gen OS and waved a white flag. Or, his miming of the Temple of Doom heart rip. A well-placed “Mazel tov?” is also always aces.

The reading of the 2024 news story was extremely entertaining (though the albeit blurry byline glimpsed in the pilot clearly wasn’t a hyphenated last name. More on Iris in a bit). A freeze-framing reveals all the superfriends who were on hand for the epic clash. Also, Gideon clued us into the big promotion that awaits Barry at the CCPD.

‎Barry’s “very bad idea” to coax a confession from Wells was compelling to watch play out, especially as Cisco in his dream state disclosed drips and drabs of observations (“Thawne??”), or effused over “finding” the favorite shirt he thought he lost in the wash. Does anyone recall if Wells’ confrontational dialogue to Cisco this week was precisely the same as first time around? You wondered where it all was going — pretty much knowing there had to be a curve ball — and then “Wells” passed through the speedster barrier Cisco had concocted. Don’t know about you, but I for those few seconds assumed he “vibed” his way through, or something. Then when he took a bullet and died pre-confession, I assumed we were heading for a scenario where Barry travels back in time to re-reset the trap.

But then we learned it wasn’t Wells at all. That he subbed in last week’s shapeshifter (though how the imposter knew what to say, hmmm). Still, wildly fun stuff — and ominous too, as Wells warned the gang he’ll always be a step ahead, and that he will kill Barry. Someday.

And then there’s the Iris of it all. The Flash Recap Iris Learns SecretLo and behold, her investigation of The Flash and his fellow freaks led her to deduce that the fun all started the night of the S.T.A.R. Labs explosion — though Barry of course wasn’t imbued with any powers, heh. I couldn’t figure out why they were playing the “Eddie wants to propose” card amidst all this good drama, but then it became clear — for one, we learned the real reason Joe wouldn’t bless his colleague’s wish (awww), plus it set up the penultimate scene, where Reverse-Flash crashed the question-popping and whisked away his “kinsurance,” knowing that Iris ultimately marries (and hyphenates her name with) Barry. Gotta keep that timeline intact.

Now, how about Candice Patton’s wonderful bedside scene in the flashback hospital? (Especially overcoming as it did the Saving Hope-like lens flares.) Between that, her journalistic findings and her realization of The Flash’s identity, big night/steps for her.

What did you think of the episode “The Trap”? I’m Zod-awful at speculating, but is Eobard Eddie’s kid, perhaps raised to exact vengeance on the guy who stole Iris away?

1. GirlvsTV says:

Did I miss something? Even if Wells did confess would that even be admissible in court? I mean, enough to free someone already convicted of the crime?

• m3rcnate says:

No no no no no sir! Don’t you dare try to use logic to analyze a CW show! lol. How about how every single cop show on TV breaks the law multiple times a case by just barging their way into a home without a warrant, going into a car without a warrant (most of the time the character saying like a badass “i dont need a warrant!” when in reality they would), the beating of restrained suspects (Chicago PD anyone), the murdering of suspects/criminals….every single cop/federal agent show craps all over the suspects constitutional rights. Even the boring bland NCIS hacks (illegally) all the time and Gibbs threatens people with Gitmo and the Patriot Act in the most loop hole abusive way (meaning the suspect is in NO way a terrorist or connected to any group that warrants Gitmo).
      So Wells confession while illegally recorded where he has the reasonable expectation of privacy, without his consent would get thrown out of court, its just a small blip on the horribly unrealistic radar of how the law works on TV compared to how it works in real life.

• Jim says:

It wasn’t a confession, plus it wasn’t Harrison Wells who said it.

• guest says:

It would be enough to re open the case.

2. K says:

I too was wondering how Wells knew what to tell the impostor to say. Maybe Wells also remembers what happened in the other timeline?

3. JeffDJ says:

Didn’t Wells say that it wasn’t his intention to kill Nora? Wouldn’t that sort of be an admission that he killed Nora?

• Sara P says:

Yes, Wells did say it wasn’t his intentions to kill Nora..so that is a confession, which I don’t know what the writers were thinking…so obviously, it was his confession.

• Tatharnio says:

He said it wasn’t his intention to kill her. But not that he DID kill her. It barely puts him at the scene. Plus, the fact that HE didn’t make that admission sort of nullifies any validity it would have had.

4. Stamanah says:

I’m excited. I loved the episode tonight and I can’t wait to see what else there is in store for us.

5. Drew says:

Very solid episode. I guess Iris is smarter than Laurel. It only took her one season to figure out who The Flash is!

6. Jim says:

Eobard is from 100’s of years in the future…he’s not Eddie’s kid…..more like great, great, great, great grandson.

• Paulina says:

Hey I have a doubt, if t eboard is that old, why, then he cares about the flash.

• JoJo says:

The comic character is from the 25th century and the Eobard from the show is always leaving those “You have been dead to me for centuries” lines it’s clear he’s Eddie’s descendant.

• Websnap says:

In the comics, Eobard was inspired by the history of the flash and traveled back to meet his hero (he was so obsessed, he recreated the situation that tied Barry to the speed force, but at the cost of his mental stability and increased violent tendencies). Barry sees him as a threat and stops him from being a “hero”, sending the unstable Eobard down a path of becoming reverse flash. It’s personal because in Eobard’s eyes the flash has gone from being his idol to a barrier keeping him from being “as great as the flash”. He thinks Barry is fighting him out of ego – because he thinkings Barry is trying to stoping him just so Eobard doesn’t become as iconic or heroic as the flash becomes. Because the Flash in that time period (I’m assuming 10 years from now) keeps beating him, he goes back to THIS (the show’s) time period where he thinks the flash will be both far enough along in his career to still inspire him in the far future, but not too far enough that he could still beat him.

I hope that makes sense – also keep in mind they are taking moderate liberties with story details and event pacing so they may do all of this in the show or just be selective with the details.

7. jrex says:

In the previous timeline Eobard said Eddie was his ancestor but it was several generations removed more than just his father or even grandfather.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Mmm, true — he and The Flash will “battle for centuries.” But he needs Eddie alive to preserve himself, ya think?

• Tatharnio says:

He also needs Eddie to not marry Iris…since she isn’t his great great great etc grandmother.

• . says:

true, but it gets a lot more complicated because people die, divorce, remarry or have kids outside of marriage, etc etc… of course unless he has an accurate family tree that has everything down. or does he just think eddie is his ancestor because of the same last name? anything could be truth.

• Gerald says:

Someone else said it, but I will say it again. You don’t need to kill Eddie to end Eobard’s timeline, just have Eddie “Fixed”.

• Winter says:

Actually I believe he said Eddie was a distant relative which could mean maybe a great great great Uncle or something so he could die and not have it effect Eobard.

• christina says:

Anyone think another alternate universe created from time travel and not centuries into this one?

8. steven says:

Did Cobie Smulders play one of the paramedics who was trying to save Barry while he was coding?

9. Lea says:

“though how the imposter knew what to say, hmmm”

Wells told him…?

Remember, he had surveillance on everyone. He knew what was Cisco’s dream, he knew what they were going to try to make him confess.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Right, but how much time could shapeshifter have had to memorize that speech?

• TVPeong says:

I wonder if Gideon stored that scene from the alternative universe, so Wells always knew. He could have used that footage to train the other guy.

• herman1959 says:

All right, all right you guys! Don’t ask too many questions because then you have to ask how there could be a shapeshifter. Don’t ruin the magic, I just fell in love with this show all over again – I loved what Joe said about why he wouldn’t give Eddie his blessing. But I do have one question that is really bugging me: Why wasn’t Barry happier when he found out that he will marry Iris? Please discuss and I’ll check back tomorrow.

• aotr07 says:

I think it’s given him alittle hope, but more so it’s really confusing for him. He’s put himself out there twice and has both times been rejected. And now Iris is living with a man Barry’s come to genuinely like. He knows that even if he and Iris do end up getting together, it’ll complicate the dynamics between himself, Eddie, and Iris. It’s alot for him to process (on top of everytig else he has on his plate), but I’m hopeful that love will win out in the end…

• cal says:

Could have been wearing a hidden ear piece maybe?

• KayCeeCee says:

Makes sense. Also, would also explain with he killed Mason Biggs

• Dj says:

Maybe Wells gave him an earpiece and he was talking into it like does with Barry.

• Tatharnio says:

My thought is that he was wired, and following instructions over a remote earpiece. No way that Thawne could have drilled him enough to be able to respond to anything that Cisco could have thrown at him.

• Karen says:

Earpiece?

10. flash rocks says:

I’m guessing the final episode, “Fast Enough” will be the one where Barry goes back in time to the night his mother dies..

Thawne changed the events and Barry fixes the timeline.

11. Laura says:

Was I the only one who noticed, just as Gideon got cut off listing future-Barry’s accomplishments, that he is a “founding member-“? Confirmation we’re headed for a TV Justice League?!

12. JenB. says:

YAY IRIS! Was so glad she put the pieces together, and was glad we got to see her in meaningful flashbacks. Overall, this episode was so great.

13. Madison says:

Great episode! Loved seeing Iris figure out that Barry is the Flash on her own. Even MORE excited by the Westallen bombshell they dropped on us (though I think most of us comic lovers saw that coming). All in all, a fantastic hour spent watching TV.

14. Kyrah says:

I agree Matt. Candice owned that scene. It was a great night for Iris and I can’t wait to see where the writers go from here with that awesome character.

15. ladida says:

Such a great episode! I’m so glad iris finally learned about Barry’s powers, and the flashbacks with her and Joe and Wells is just what the show needed, I think, to point to what the Flash mythos is all about.

16. Skittles&Bits says:

YAS, Mrs. West-Allen! Get that future byline!! She figures out who the Flash is and 80% of the Star Labs debacle with just her wits and determination? An excellent, excellent night for my 2nd favorite intrepid reporter. I was wondering how the writers would handle the Iris/Eddy eventual breakup but I guess I shouldn’t have, because the “out” has always been there. Iris/Eddy can’t really happen since Eddy needs to go on and create all the Thawnes that precede Eobard. Speaking of Eobard, Tom Cavanagh was in fine, fine form. Ugh. Leave it to him to make me fall in love with such a villainous cad. I completely understand Barry’s dilemma. The way Wells shifts fluidly between caring, thoughtful mentor and sick, manipulative, murderous nemesis blows my mind. Joe, as usual, is the real MVP. I love his “paternal” scenes; they utterly melt my heart. I’m now more than ever curious about Gideon. If Barry creates her, why would she be helping Eobard? Also, that easter egg for the JL had me squealing like a schoolgirl.

17. Lynne says:

Couple things for me. First, I know nothing about DC, Marvel or any of those except what I watch in the shows/movies, so if more is explained in the Flash DC comics, please forgive me. But now that everyone knows that Wells is Thawne and Reverse Flash, is the rest of the series just going to be Barry vs Thawne? Meaning no more metahumans because “Wells” was essential to the team for catching them. That sounds a little boring to me.
    That being said, from the wording of the article, does Cisco eventually becomes a metahuman? If so, hopefully they do a storyline for that because I’m totally in love with Carlos and would definitely watch that if they do his own show. Lol

• April says:

The other rogues will always pop up along with new ones. Just like in the comics Reverse Flash showed up once in a while. Usually big issues and huge story arcs. And spoiler alert ….

Cisco does become a “metahuman” called Vibe. As does Snow she also becomes a metahuman.

18. Emily says:

Candice made me cry, man. This episode was EPIC. Reverse Flash! Iris West-Allen! CISCO! I loved it all.

19. Yay for Iris and well done Candice great performance what a shame she keeps getting sidelined

• Meena says:

Agreed! I really hope Candice gets more of a central role now that Iris is in the loop. The show always seems to be better whenever she has more of a role in the episode’s story

20. AJ says:

Loved every minute of tonight’s episode!

It would’ve been too easy for the reverse flash to die like that, great writing.
    Didn’t see that coming.

I never read the comic books either, is the rest of the next season going to be Barry chasing Dr. Wells?

21. Jeff says:

I thought the Everyman couldn’t copy powers. And how come the force field didn’t work on him but worked on Barry?

• Jack says:

He can’t copy powers that’s why the force field didn’t keep him out since the force field was supposed to keep out speedsters, it kept out Barry but not Everyman.

22. Jonathan says:

Iris really shined in this episode. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

23. Meena says:

What an incredible episode. I got chills when Gideon was talking to Barry, especially when she was about to mention the Justice League. I’m so glad Iris finally knows for real, I just hope she won’t be mad at Barry for keeping it a secret. All the Barry and Iris scenes in this episode were adorable, although I feel bad for Eddie. This show never ceases to amaze me, can’t wait for the next couple of episodes, especially the finale. The Flash, Green Arrow, and Firestorm vs. Reverse Flash is gonna be one hell of a battle.

• herman1959 says:

Sorry Meena, but Iris is going to be mad at everyone who didn’t tell her about Barry – Barry, Joe, and Eddie. Get ready for some fireworks!

24. S says:

Alright so I really haven’t read the comics and I don’t know much of The Flash’s story outside of what I know from the show. Can anyone tell me how it’s possible that Barry is alive centuries from now? And Iris too? Is it his superpowers? Does he just travel in to the future and stay there? And if so, that still doesn’t explain how Iris is still alive in the future.

• herman1959 says:

The future, with respect to Iris West-Allen writing about the disappearance of The Flash, is 2024 (the date). That’s just nine years from now, why wouldn’t Iris be alive?

25. katsina says:

Loved tonights episode. Iris West-Allen is brave enough to still write about her best friend and husband going missing. Can’t imagine what future Iris is going through. Loved Reverse Flash putting an end to Eddie’s revolting plan of proposing to Iris. Like can he not? No one wants to ever utter the name “iris Thawne”
    Joe clearly is the biggest Westallen shipper of all time.
    Loved the flashback to Barry in a coma with the Wests. Loved Iris’s beautiful speech to coma Barry. It was so poignant and heartbreaking. If Barry never went into a coma, she would never have agreed to date Eddie. He’s literally a placeholder that she’s still holding on to because its safe and not the unknown that it is to be in love with Barry and having it potentially not work. I understand her fears.
    I’m so glad Iris finally found out Barry is the flash. Now all the men better be prepared for her wrath and i hope she rains it down on them cause they all deserve it.

26. Trish says:

This Episode was everything I am still speechleess, I can t believe they dropped all those easter eggs, I am just i awe I never thought it could get better than 15 but imo it did, thank you to all involved I can only imagine what is instore for the season finale

27. Trish says:

28. Aura says:

OMG OMG OMG what the heck I honestly cannot believe what I just witnessed is this really season 1 and not even a finale.

Firstly RF/Wells I always knew you were shady from the moment you said see you soon Barry Allen, but I never imagined that you had eyes on everyone all the time, you are so cunning and I know I am not supposed to like you, but damn you Tom C you are killing it in this role, I m scared to think what the show is going to be like without your version of RF. ( side note you try to hurt my Cisco one more time and I will personally end you)

Iris and Barry, well what can I say they were AMAZING this episode they conveyed to everyone who’ve watched the show from Ep 1 exactly where they are going with these two and it was so good to finally see Iris getting involved with the main SL, the hospital scenes were beautifully done and OMG the sparks well isn’t that just what all fangirl OTP dreams are made of. I am honestly so excited to see where they take their story and also how they convey their relationship in the various TLs as well as Barry’s new found knowledge that not only does Iris love him, but he somehow gets her to marry him (anyone else said a little prayer that he kept his cool and didn’t go blabbing his mouth about what he knew to her)

Cisco was his brilliant self I love that dude so much and I can’t wait to see him as Vibe, it was nice to see Caitlin using her smarts and helping create the glasses her I love her dynamic with Cisco.

Oh Eddie you have such good intentions, but it is written in the stars she will be Iris West-Allen not Thawne. All the best to you my man, I don’t know what your deal is yet but hopefully its exciting and it doesn’t involve you turning evil because of Iris being with Barry.

And Joe Joe Joe, there you go again telling others what is best for Iris she is a grown woman let her make her own decisions, though in this case you only answered a question, but still, you reiterating that Eddie cant tell her about the Flash. How are you gonna do that but still advocate for her and Barry to be together are you expecting him to lie to her for the rest of their lives including during ,marriage, wake up Joe she is a grown woman you need a few slaps across that bald head of yours.

If you couldn’t already tell I LOVED this ep and rate is slightly higher than 15 but just , because everyone seemed to have agency and the reveals were bigger.

Sorry for the simi biography I just had so many feelings during this ep. It just opened the door to so much exciting things leading up to the season finale as well as season 2 and I am so here for all of this

29. Aura says:

30. Rster says:

The language wasn’t the same between the original confrontation and last night’s. They showed that in the episode. Originally Wells confessed. In the newer version Cisco prompted him. There is also the fact that Wells didn’t say his real name. In terms of how faux Wells got through the barrier, he walked through. The while idea was that Cisco prepared a force field that protected against speedsters. Not against normal humans. Don’t go at it at insane speeds and you get in.

31. Sarah says:

HM..great episode and finally iris knows lets see how she deals with it…
    I’m excited for next week episode with Grood on the lockout and Dr.Wells being evil..and doing god knows what to Eddie.

32. Pat says:

Last nights episode was absolutely FANTASTIC!!! This was not even the season finale and boy did we get a boat load of excitement. Kudos to the writers of this show, because they keep me watching week after week with great anticipation. If they had a gold star rating system from 1 to 5, I would have to give this 6 GOLD STARS.

33. Sara says:

I know I’m in the minority but I am just not a fan of Iris and Barry. For whatever reason, Iris bugs me.

34. Efi says:

Amazing episode!!

35. herman1959 says:

Why wasn’t Barry happier about finding out that he is going to marry Iris? This has been bugging me since last night. Anybody?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Finding out you mysteriously vanished in a headlines-making burst of light probably overshadows that info, happy as it is. .

• TW says:

There was a lot of far more serious stuff going on & I think he learnt his lesson from his beautifully disastrous “let’s start doing” speech to her after they kissed & how he completely scared her off. He’s going to take it a lot slower now, I think, but when Iris was about to tell him about her research, for a moment he thought she was confessing her feelings and his whole face lit up with joy.

• herman1959 says:

OK; I didn’t catch the look, but I’m gong to watch the episode again because I have a feeling that I missed a couple of things – so much happened. Thanks.

• obriensg1 says:

Plus, that’s nine years out. He could go about things the wrong way and screw up the chance of that happening. Like when Iris admitted she’s in love with him, and then he changed the future and tried to ask her out but the situation was different enough that she wasn’t willing to give it a go.

Simple version: if you’re so sure you know who you’re going to marry in the future, it could cause you to take situations for granted, or to get too cocky, which would change the relationship dynamic and possibly end it

• Brandy says:

Maybe Barry learned his lesson from episode 1×16 when he presumptuously came on way too strong to Iris & ended up getting punched by Eddie.

36. Nick says:

First, a zoomed in newspaper had a quip “The Flash, with the assistance of Starling City’s Green Arrow, The Atom, and Hawk-Girl”…so…yea

Also, this show gives me all of the feels. Every week, I just get so emotional watching it.

37. Every single episode this show manages to outdo the last, and it has done it since mid season, which is a no brainer.I know they don’t give emmys to super hero shows, but this one sure deserve it… If only so for being able to deliver an amazing hour of television every single time.

38. lll says:

i want to know how does barry create gideon?? he has absolutely no technological know-how. if anything, i’d say cisco created gideon.

39. Jenn says:

Didn’t Wells come in at the EXACT moment Katlyn needed an answer for talking to Cisco while he was in his lucid dream? He willing gave her 45 hertz? No one thought that was weird? Then Barry found out Wells had been spying on all of them the whole time. Everywhere. Could it be Wells knew what was said in the dream because he watched them? He knew the whole time what they were doing…

40. Heidi says:

In his own way, I believe Tom Cavanagh is as brilliant an actor as James Spader–The bad guy you love to hate.

41. terri says:

This is the ONE thing that bugs me about the night Barry’s mother died – Since the reverse flashed stayed in the past, wouldn’t one think the adult Barry stayed in the past too!?! If you don’t know, the adult Barry is the one who saved kid Barry and took him outside…so where is he in the present!?! Is this why the reverse flash can’t get back to his time? Because adult Barry actually went back to the future after saving himself and reverse flash can’t harness the speed force…

42. Erica says:

Sorry but… what did they do with the body of the shapeshifter Joe killed? Killed by the way as he was simply walking towards Cisco. I get the above comments, there’s no point in applying logic to a CW show, but at a certain point it just gets so absurd that I have trouble enjoying it…

43. Larbie Theo says:

Loved This episode. It had it all and every cast member brought there A-Game…

Just one thing i’m not getting…

How did iris know it was Barry from just a touch…? Were did that spark come from..??

44. Sheldon W. says:

The hyphenated byline probably came about as result of Barry’s accidental time traveling.

45. rachelle says:

This episode both gave me life and killed me. Repeatedly! This show is hands down one of the best of the season and on TV period. Seriously, it was so freaking amazing. This episode and the one where Barry turned back time are tied right now as my faves of the season.

46. Sam says:

Did none of you get the Easter Egg in the first few minutes of the episode?
    Barry : You know who I am?
    Gideon : Of course. Barry Allen. Director of Central City Police, CSI Division.
    Cisco : Guess You get a promotion.
    Gideon : Also know as The Flash. Founding member of the –

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE (JUSTICE LEAGUE!)