The Voice Top 8 Performance Recap: No Good Note Goes Unpunished

I wasn’t planning on watching the Mayweather-Pacquiao boxing match this weekend — I’m more of a Kentucky Derby kinda guy, to be honest — but I can’t imagine it being much bloodier than Top 8 Performance Night on The Voice.

Look, there’s no denying that Season 8 of NBC’s reality singing competition is as jam-packed with talent as Kim Kardashian’s pencil skirts are heaving with badonkadonk. It’s just that, with two more performers headed for a dinner date at The Rancor‘s basement apartment on Tuesday night, it seemed like nearly everyone was swinging hickory bats at melodies requiring butterfly-wing delicacy.

Those happy little bluebirds flying over the rainbow? They got turned into skeet-shooting targets taken down by grenade launchers. The Thunderdome of Mad Max fame? Turned into the world’s largest sandbox before our very eyes!

The overwrought-ness of this week’s performances made it all the more appealing whenever an artist went quiet, stuck to the melody, chose restraint over bombast. Take Joshua Davis, for example. His choice of Sting’s most snooze-inducing song turned out to be an air-conditioned lounge in an otherwise steaming prison of holleration.

OK, maybe I’m exaggerating just a bit. I mean, Kimberly Nichole collapsed in a heap of fog and taffeta and made “theatre!” a 10-syallable word, and I loved it. So maybe, to paraphrase Kenny Rogers, it’s just a matter of knowing when to hold ’em, and knowing when to belt ’em?

Either way, let’s get to my letter grades for this week’s performances:

Team Blake: Hannah Kirby — Tina Turner’s “We Don’t Need Another Hero” — Grade: C- | I’m not sure how Blake could declare that Hannah’s vocal was perfect, given her struggles with the song’s lower notes and her utterly lifeless approach to the verses — but I suppose there’s a reason he’s the only coach with all three team members still in the mix. Dude could sell lima beans to toddlers! And hey, at least we had Xtina keeping it real and not-so-subtly throwing shade at the awkward-dancing hippie chick by praising Hannah’s backup singers (“Those kids were awesome!”) moreso than the headliner herself.

Team Adam: Joshua Davis — Sting’s “Fields of Gold” — Grade: B | No one is ever going to accuse Joshua of being Season 8’s most exciting participant — but not every occasion calls for a glass of champagne or a habanero salsa. Sometimes, a glass of warm milk is exactly what the doctor ordered — and that’s what Joshua’s soothing, unadorned vocal brought to mind sitting atop a sparse, piano-driven arrangement. There’s no chance the soft-spoken dad is gonna take home the Season 8 crown without exhibiting some kind of heretofore unseen grit and fire, but methinks he did enough this week to crack the Top 6.

Team Xtina: Kimberly Nichole — Radiohead’s “Creep” — Grade: A- | When Xtina announced that Kimberly was covering “Creep” with some jazzy inflections, my stomach sank: Was nobody going to mention American Idol standout Haley Reinhart’s delectable new “Creep” cover with Postmodern Jukebox, the one that’s sitting at No. 2 on the iTunes jazz charts? No shock, the hat tip to a competing reality show didn’t happen on air — though Kimberly later tweeted her version was inspired by Haley’s. Still, while the arrangements had some similarities — despite a slightly creepier music-box tilt to Kimberly’s piano accompaniment, and a sexier horn vibe to Haley/PMJ’s — the vocal approaches didn’t overlap all that much. Kimberly’s approach felt less slinky, didn’t betray as much longing as Haley’s; the Voice diva instead amped up the theatricality of the melody, her tight growl crumbling with loneliness on the verses, then exploding with a howl as she went into a full backbend on the word “ruuuuunnnnn.” And now that she’s learned the art of gratitude-face during judges’ comments, Kimberly’s more of a threat to make the finale than ever before — and deservedly so.

Team Blake: Meghan Linsey — The Beatles’s “Something” — Grade: C | Meghan declared she was setting out to show her vulnerable side on George Harrison’s most famous ditty, but I’m starting to fear the onetime Nashville chart-topper simply doesn’t know the meaning of restraint. Girlfriend was already cranked up to “9” on the opening verse – losing the plaintive, romantic feeling of the lyrics in the process — and then spent the final two-thirds of the performance giving us the full Edvard Munch (which is to say she was screaming). It’s all well and good to show you’ve got vocal horsepower, but that’s a very different thing from trampling a beloved ditty with a full team of Clydesdales.

Team Xtina: India Carney — “Over the Rainbow” (from The Wizard of Oz) — Grade: B- | On paper, this classic movie ballad seemed like a perfect fit for India’s undeniable talents — and she started off promisingly enough with an intro that was nearly a cappella. Alas, though, in her efforts to “make it her own,” India wound up weighing down “Over the Rainbow” with unnecessary runs and unwelcome tweaks to the melody. There were flashes of beauty throughout — and India’s clear joy in tackling one of her favorite tunes was a nice little bonus — but I fear she’s run out of time to deliver enough of a “Voice Moment” to keep her out of the Bottom 3.

Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks — Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” — Grade: B+ | I’d be lying if I said Sawyer didn’t struggle a little to cut through the Voice band’s aggressive arrangement — which resulted in a slightly strained quality to his vocals on the final refrain. That said, as guest mentor Gwen Stefani noted, there’s something riveting about the kid’s emotional honesty — and the wise, weathered way he brings a lyric to life. I’m not sure Pharrell is doing Sawyer any favors by perpetually pushing him in a classic-rock vein — coaches need to not only think about what will score votes, but also what will help propel a singer’s post-Voice career — but either way, his spot in the finale is as sure a thing at this point as Blake adding “special ingredients” to his Starbucks cup.

Team Blake: Corey Kent White — Bad English’s “When I See You Smile” — Grade: B- | I understand why some viewers are drawn to Corey’s earnest, gravel-tinged delivery — or why they might even root for him based on the way Blake’s forever treating him like the Jan to Meghan’s Marcia and Hannah’s Cindy. Still, this doesn’t wash away the fact that the ends of many of Corey’s phrases have all the strength of a freshly hatched hummingbird — I swear, at least two or three times tonight the kid opened his mouth, but no sound came out — nor that he’s still noticeably struggling with pitch this deep into the competition. Granted, this was a massive improvement over Corey’s debacle last week, but perhaps not improvement enough to make him Top 6-worthy?

Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne — Alicia Keys’s “Girl on Fire” — Grade: A | Has anyone ever seen a diamond get polished? I imagine it’s a pretty exciting process — with many of the same joys one might experience watching Koryn rise to possible stardom on The Voice. I loved how it was her idea to slow down the opening half of her Alicia Keys jam — the better to build tension and create an even bigger impact when she finally let loose on the chorus — and what it says about her investment in the process.  You could practically see Koryn trembling with anticipation and pride as she spun the tale of a girl claiming her own greatness and forging her own destiny — and those raw emotions crept into every word of the lyric. She’s got a seriously unique tone, likability oozing from every pore, and, as Xtina noted, the ability to bloom under pressure. If she can continue thinking front-runners like Sawyer and Kimberly don’t have a leg up on her, Koryn could sneak her way right into the finale.

Should Be Bottom 3: Hannah, Corey, India (Hannah and Corey going home)
Will Be Bottom 3: Hannah, India, Meghan (Hannah and India going home)

OK, your turn. What did you think of The Voice‘s Top 8 performance night? Who were your faves? Who’s in trouble? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to expand on your thoughts!

1. Davey says:

I thought Joshua rated higher than Sawyer tonight because of his guitar playing. If Joshua makes it through next week he needs to keep picking his songs. Koryn continues to impress.

• Kristee says:

Joshua is Ambien in musical form. You can see people better than him on every street corner and in every subway in any major city. If he wants to do his wife and kids a favor he needs to find another line of work. lol

• MC says:

Joshua is not an exciting performer at all and then he sings Sting’s most forgettable song. I couldn’t wait for it to end.

• Birdy says:

Some people prefer talent over excitement…. For example, many people find Hannah to be exciting, but talented?

• MC says:

He’s a good guitar player and he might be great in a more intimate forum. I find him to be boring in this format. He might be a great singer-songwriter down the road, but it’s difficult to tell when the job here is to cover the music of other artists.

• Greta says:

Mr. Slezak, I wish you had mentioned Matt McAndrew’s fantastic performance of his new single!

• Lisa Hogan says:

I think Joshua will be a great singer for those who are more the coffee house crowd. I like his folksy sound, but I don’t think he’s destined to be a winner in this competition…sorry Adam!

• Birdy says:

I don’t think he’s going to come anywhere near winning, either. But I don’t get the hate fest going on here for him. Yeah, I like to see singers break out of their usual style once in awhile, but not to the point where they do themselves no justice. If they’re going to experiment, a show like this is not the place to do it unless they’re sure they can pull it off. (Last week people were bashing Adam’s song choice for him because it totally took him out of what he does well; now this week they’re bashing his song choice because it’s something he does well. I don’t get it.)

• Nanc says:

And I agree – it’s funny that people slam Corey and Joshua for not changing styles—but where is the change when all the women are doing are taking songs and singing them as loudly and high-pitched as they can? I don’t see ANY variation here:)

• AlyB says:

I agree. I like it when he does what he does best. I do think he’s talented and I love his voice. That said, he is overshadowed by the dramatic, bombastic performances of the other contestants. It is live television and a lot of viewers want a big show. There’s no reason for the hate though because he is good at what he does. I hope being on the show gives him the exposure he needs to really make a career.

• Lisa says:

Oh get over yourself! Let’s see what you have….apparently you don’t! Joshua will be there until the end unfortunately he’s up against Sawyer.

• Kristee says:

He may last another week but only due to the fact he is WGWG and less is expected of THEM and country singers than anyone else on shows like this! If I wanted to hear someone exactly like Joshua, I’d go down to Starbucks, buy a frappuccino and then flick my leftover quarter at them for providing forgettable background noise preferable to the sounds of cars honking for a couple of minutes. I’d imagine going to a concert of his would be akin to visiting a sleep clinic. LOL

• Nanc says:

I get that a lot of people on here don’t like country music…..but hmmm—rock/pop is NOT superior – it is different. A lot of us don’t like the same thing as you do—doesn’t make either one wrong.

• james says:

@ Kristee: Cry me a river. If I want to hear a diva, I can hear them at the NY subway too. Or at church. And a lot of them are better than Voice contestants.

• MzTeaze says:

Well said. I watched for the first time all season and was yawning during his performance. I think the author was being kind with a C rating honestly.

• Josh is one of the most talented in the competition. Much better than Corey. Some of the girls are no where near as talented, but get attention with the high notes. It’s getting old and it’s not translating into “I’m a good entertainer who can sing anything and can meet any challenge.” Personally I only think my top 4 can “Entertain”, I want to be moved emotionally. Corey is a joke, I mean talk about Marie Osmond on Dancing with the Stars.

1. Sawyer
        2. Kimberly
        3. Josh
        4. Koryn
        5. Meghan
        6. India
        7. Hannah
        8. Corey

• Birdy says:

Mimi, I pretty much agree with your rankings, but I’d move India ahead of Megan, and possibly ahead of Koryn, only because I think she has the better “pure” voice (if you know what I mean), but she doesn’t seem to quite know what to do with it when she’s out of her trained background. Her voice is lovely, but she doesn’t quite hit on all cylinders on all of the songs she does on this show. But, then again, most of them don’t, so it’s not a big negative, imo.

• james says:

ITA with your ranking. And the divas are boring the crap out of me too. If I want to hear all these divas, I’ll go to church.

• Bart says:

Totally agree. Joshua owned the night for me and then Queen Kimberly next. Joshua’s connection is just undeniable. Not many have that, he has it.

• Davey says:

Can’t believe I just read here that Fileds of Gold is one of Sting’s most forgettable songs. On the contrary, it’s one of his finest and was one of his hits. Eva Kennedy also does a haunting version of the song, and Michele Kwan skated to it. I’ve been waiting for someone to do the song on The Voice and I’m glad Joshua was smart enough to do it.

• Birdy says:

Me too, Davey! So many folks on this board seem to equate loud and booty-shaking songs with excitement and talent, whereas few seem to appreciate quietly good performances. I don’t think Josh is among the top talents on the show, but he’s got a good voice and is very good at what he’s good at! I’d love to see him kick it up a notch, and I think he could with the right song. But I hate it that people seem to denigrate ballad-type or low-key songs. That doesn’t automatically equate to “boring.” There are a lot of people who enjoy that style of music. Personally, I like almost all styles of music, but I’d rather listen to Josh, who’s easy on the ears, than to the scream-at-the-top-of-their lungs and dance-like-a-maniac performers.

• Brian says:

Wholeheartedly agree with you, Lisa, Bart, and Davey. Joshua got back to what he does best. My personal favorites are Koryn and him; I will buy their cd’s when released. However, look at the voting demographics through all the teen screaming… and look at the I-Tunes downloads. Sawyer will win the season. Some very talented ladies may well go on to singing in successful musicals and cabaret shows. When you listen to the radio and close your eyes … like them or not, voices like Dylan, Houston, Bennett, and Pressley are immediately identifiable. Sawyer has that recognizeable quality and will be on the radio years from now. (I’m probably wrong, so this senior should just stick to songwriting!!)

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Ballads are my favorite type song to listen to. Its Easy to Remember, Thats All, Little Girl Blue, etc etc, but low key and quiet does not always mean good. Joshua could make any song boring. He has no shading and I do not feel his emotion. Pleasant voice. That is it.

• drc says:

Amen. I stopped listening to the screamers decades ago and switched to being able to hear and understand the lyrics.

• ash says:

Yes! I would rather listen to Joshua than screamy divas, too.

• B.A says:

He needs to so streets of philadelphia…wud suit him perfectly

• Bart says:

I know right? FOG is one of my favorite songs ever. And that performance just dug deep in me, I was bawling like a baby afterwards. It was so heartfelt, definitely one of the best moments on the Voice’s history.

• tealeaves says:

Ha, ha! I agree. Thank you for replying! Fields of Gold is a great song.

• Birdy says:

It is a great song! And while I came nowhere close to crying, I was moved by it. Whereas many of the proclaimed “better” performances did nothing for me. A singer needs to have a good voice, but also be believable within the song.

• bobsaccamanna says:

The late, fantastic Eva Cassidy is who you are thinking of, and her version was chill inducing just like everything she sang before she passed away.

• Gwen says:

Eva Cassidy, not Eva Kennedy. And it, like all of her work, was amazingly stellar. RIP. :(

• Meme says:

Yes! You are so right. Joshua should do “I Know You By Heart.”

• RayJay says:

Eva also covered “Over the Rainbow” – check out her version and tell me she doesn’t have both Josh and India beat.

• Meme says:

Eva Cassidy covered it. It is one of Sting’s better emotional songs.

• Lisa says:

Kimberly is just another wanna be. Remember she is a headliner in a NY club.

• Kristee says:

Joshua was a headliner nowhere and will continue to be a headliner nowhere after he’s done boring America on this show. He needs to keep his career options open. lmao

Hahahaha
          Since when is headlining a club in NY considered a slam? That was hilarious. That’s like saying, “well, she’s only the prime minister of Australia. Is that really a country anyways?”

• JM1 says:

I wouldn’t call her that, but I do sometimes feel she’s got a lot of “schtick” to her performing that comes from playing in the club. I’d love a quiet, soft performance from her sometime soon.

• Birdy says:

I’d like to see a nice, quiet performance from all the gals on this show for a change! We know they can belt it out, but can they do subtle, yet powerful? And, since many know I’m a huge Sawyer fan and don’t see me as hypocritical, I’d like to see him do something more uptempo for a change. But on both sides of the spectrum, I still want to see performers who are comfortable with their material. So, it shouldn’t have to be one or the other. If the divas are really as talented as they seem, they should be able to find material they’re comfortable with AND that shows their “other” range. Same with Sawyer; I’m confident he could find a song within his “wheelhouse” that would show us a bit more power and/or upbeat-ness (I just made that word up–lol!). Maybe something really bluesy. Or, although this is not uptempo, I’d love to hear Sawyer do “People Get Read,.” and notch up the tempo a bit more than Rod Stewart’s version. It could stand up well under that. Still wanna hear him do “Readjustment Blues,” but I doubt that will happen. A too-little known song, and the young crowd probably wouldn’t appreciate it. At this stage, I should think the last thing anyone would want to do would be to experiment, but surely they can break out of their molds without doing so.

• Huh says:

While I agree Joshua won’t win the competition (that’s going to be Koryn) he was far superior to Hannah and Corey.

• JT says:

Everything Sawyer sings sounds just the same. The first couple of times it was fresh and different. But it is quickly growing old. He will probably win though, it will probably be him and 2 of the divas in the finale cancelling each other out.

• stevessf says:

Remember Davey, it’s The Voice, not The Guitar. And voice-wise, Joshua doesn’t hold a candle to Sawyer.

2. Eddie says:

Team Xtina FTW!!! Kimberly slayed, india was great

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

YASSS!!!

• safado says:

Christina made tonight’s most thoughtful comments (after India’s performance) :
      “We all need a place to embrace our dreams from…This song embodies the fantasy, the love it takes to –you know–have an imagination. ”
      So perceptive.

• as says:

Gwen Stefani asked India what kind of artist she wanted to be and India didn’t seem to know….she also seems to be lacking personality on stage. Her performance positioned her for the part of Glinda the Good Witch on Broadway. Beautiful non-pop voice.

• JM1 says:

She sings songs to show off her voice, not to show any point of view or particular emotion. Not an insult by any means, but it’s costing her as the end nears.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Unfortunately, I think you are right. India is a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice, but she doesn’t seem to have a clue as to what direction she wants to take her career. While I was watching her perform that song I came to the conclusion that pop stardom is not in her future, and Broadway is her best bet.

3. Mike says:

As much as I dont like Hannah Kirby (for me, she sounds so mad singing that her facial expression makes me feel like im back in the toilet room pooooping, yes i know im sorry, its just so strained that her face seems strained as well)… back to the start… As much as I dont like her, I think its unfair that she keeps singing at the start of the show. Its just unfair and The Voice does this every single season.

PS. Carson, stop hugging every single person every single f-c-ing you see them.

• Davey says:

And Joshua was put second again while the two young boys and the 17 year old all went last.

• analythinker says:

I think Meghan was good. Not great, but good. I don’t think your grades for her this season have been fair, Michael.

• analythinker says:

This is not supposed to be a reply, sorry!

• Runner says:

Agreed. It is a little weird too. Oh well.

• Janelle says:

Agreed. Meghan delivered a solid vocal. Michael has been completely unfair to her. I think he has jumped on the “She already had her chance and shouldn’t be there” bias bandwagon.

• JM1 says:

+1. He always ranks her low.

Tonight she shoulda kept that song simple . . .the orchestra was a terrible idea (thanks, Cee-Lo). Her actual vocal was great. though.

• Russ says:

It is more like Michael knows after this week there are only 6 artists remaining. Most of the weaker artists are gone. He saw last weeks Itunes rankings and knows if Kimberly finishes in 6th again she could be in trouble. He probably looks at the comments on facebook anytime the voice makes a post and sees that Kimberly is not getting a lot of support there. He is pumping up her grades and lowering the grades of the other artists to manipulate this forum into voting for Kimberly. He should also post his Monday night tweets, like he does his Tuesday night ones. Just about all are negative except Kimberly’s. There was only one ‘A’ performance tonight, Koryn’s. An ‘A-‘ from Michael for one of his favorites is normally a B to B+ for anyone else.

• as says:

Agree with JMI…..the song was too much orchestra and too little feeling….not suited for Meghan’s powerhouse blues/country vibe. Same for Kimberly….can’t believe Slezak’s marks for her. That song didn’t lend itself too her lavish gown , over-singing and falling into that reclining fog position on the floor. I’m tired of the over-singing and over-productions from Xtina’s people. They have great voices….why can’t they just sing a simple song with FEELING. Kimberly’s insecure talk didn’t read true….more like a desperate attempt to me…with some crocodile tears.

• MC says:

They say variety is the spice of life. Xtina hasn’t not been on the show for a few seasons and we also have a few big voices on the other teams. There are some bombastic singers on the menu this season. I understand they are a little OTT, but a whole show of ballad singers and dimpled young country dudes would be deadly dull. Wouldn’t it? Maybe not for some folks. I love ballads. I was/am a huge Candice Glover fan, but Joshua doesn’t do it for me. He’s not terrible, but I don’t think he’s spectacular either.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I thought she was fantastic. I groaned when I heard the song choice–not because I don’t like the song, but because it’s overdone on these shows. Meghan made it work for me by switching it up. I think what is going on here with Michael is he can’t acknowledge that The Voice is absolutely crushing AI on a week-to-week basis. The talent level on The Voice is vastly superior to AI, and that irks him. So he downgrades performances to make it look and sound like AI is on equal terms with The Voice. It’s manipulation, but of a different kind.

• Kristee says:

The Voice doesn’t want someone old to win again. They should chill out cause Sawyer already has this in the bag.

• Runner says:

LOL. What is old on this show? I have no idea what “old” means, but I do know every song of Sawyer’s kills it on iTunes. It’s amazing. I thought tonight was his best performance and he seems to be getting better.

• Davey says:

I actually found him boring tonight, a word often applied to Joshua.

• Birdy says:

I thought Sawyer was great tonight! Only his blind was better, imo. I don’t know if he’ll win the whole thing, but of all the contestants, his music is the one I’d make it a point to go out and buy. (I’d pay to listen to Josh and India too, although I think Kimberly slayed all the women tonight!)

• Soma says:

Kristee you’ve said it!. This young guy can interprit an arrange a song so perfect, his interpretaton just grabs you in your soul.He will go far in this industry.

• Mike says:

Agree! I know they’re the obvious frontrunners buy WTF come on the voice.

PS. I get the CKW hate this season but I bet my buttocks he’s gonna win this thing (well, Sawyer will win this lol) but if he chooses the RIGHT songs for his really nice voice, he’s gonna make it. I just wish he was with Adam (better song choices though not evident this year) or Pharell. You go with Blake for the votes, SMH.

• Cathy says:

CKW can’t sing his way out of a wet paper bag—he’s awful. The only reason he’s still around is because of the hormonal teeny-boppers.

• Birdy says:

Totally agree about CKW, Cathy! I cannot understand why he remains week after week, even given the teeny-bopper vote.

• Dawn says:

I agree, Kathy. I’m still in shock that he get by week after week without much talent to show us why. And before all scream, people hate country is why they don’t like him. I’m a country fan and by no means is this young man a country singer to me.

• analythinker says:

Now, a real reply: come on now, Sawyer will win, they want him to. (I don’t.)

4. Davey says:

Doesn’t Hannah have a lot of Nashville and Blake fans voting her through?

5. Kim Moores says:

I think India will be fine.
    I think she uses melisma a lot because she knows people hate on her ‘goaty’ vibrato (though that title is for Sawyer).
    As a result she throws in a lot of runs to mask her vibrato that she can’t help, but she sounds more comfortable when her vibrato is so exposed.
    Also, can Koryn win?
    She deserves to win, I just hate knowing that she’s on Pharrells team.
    She would have benefited better on Xtina’s. So far it seems more like her performances are stellar because of the work she puts into it. Not Pharrell’s.

• JM1 says:

Sorry, but increasingly I do not enjoy Koryn’s voice. She strains so much on most notes and there is entirely too much vibrato for me. And, when she shakes her head and hand while singing, it makes her voice wobble and just looks like she’s copying Beyonce (and I hate when Beyonce does that).

As always, just my humble opinion!!

• Birdy says:

I am pretty much with you on her performance tonight, JM1. It was OK, but those hand jerks make me crazy. If only she could smooth them out to graceful…. I didn’t think she was as good tonight as last week–definitely felt to me as if she were straining too much. And she didn’t dial it back in parts, like the coaches were advising in the practice session. It seemed kind of an all-out, all-the-time performance.

• Kim Moores says:

Welp, I incredibly disagree, but to each their own ofc

• JM2 says:

While I do like Koryn’s personality, I do agree with you that she sounds strained when she sings. Like she’s being strangled or something…

• Jamey says:

I sadly agree. Think they are pushing the gospel type sound too far with her. I have really enjoyed her and believe she will move forward. Would like to see something else from her next week. Also, I am in the minority – love Kimberly – hated Creep.

• 4frogs says:

obviously you don’t like pharrell, but he’s not in the competition. So what difference should it make who’s team Koryn is on, she is the one in the competition. Please be fair and not foolish.

• Kim Moores says:

Sigh, please reread my comment and tell me where I wasn’t being fair.
        I don’t care for Pharrell, please don’t read into my comment any further than it was. It’s not that deep.

• Luke says:

Hey, Kim M. ! You said last week you weren’t watching anymore! I guess that means no one can believe you. I know I don’t.

6. Kristee says:

Kimberly was great. Sawyer was good. What was Koryn thinking with that horrible, played out song choice?! Ugh! Ditto for India pretty much (lovely vocals though). Joshua was boring. Meghan was good enough. Hannah was decent (for a change). Corey is clearly the worst left but I bet he will not be in the Bottom 3.

• Runner says:

LOL. At least Koryn chose a song that was written in the last 2 decades. I am agreeing that people should stop trying to sing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” All people, everywhere. Enough already. That said, I am not sure if India has found her niche yet and/or has blown a song out of the water either. She’s just meh to me. But dang it she is photogenic. The camera loves her.

• JM says:

Alicia K. is one of my fav singers, so yes, I was afraid for Koryn. But I gotta say, she killed it, IMO. However, India bombed big time, and this performance might just send her home.

• Janinastorm says:

i agree, India missed the mark. I have heard lots of SOTR versions & this was not great.
        Kim did a good arrangement of Creep.
        The singers have to sing songs that people will buy. They are getting ahead of themselves

• Alex says:

Yes! Thank you. I also thought India bombed badly. Yes she had a lovely voice and her technical skills are high but she has zero personality. Over the Rainbow has been done hundreds of times on these shows and she brought nothing new to it. It sounded like every other lovely version we’ve heard. Because she doesn’t have a style she can’t bring anything new to her songs, they’re always lovely with no soul. Nice but bland.

• OhMy says:

The real problem to me with several of the singers — but Koryn is one of the worst — is the over the top goaty quality of the voice (India is bad about that too and Sawyer often).

The thing is that they can all sing, and sing well — but it’s annoying and will definitely get in the way of their professional careers if they can’t learn to control it.

7. Davey says:

Did Usher even say much tonight? And he is a really good coach.

• JM says:

He didn’t have much to do with only one singer to coach. Plus it’s hard to tell Joshua to do something different when he did that last week (per Adam’s request) and almost got sent home. I wish Usher would have coached Christina’s or Pharrell’s teams as well. It’s such a waste to have him there for only one person.

8. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

The top three of the night were Kimberly, Koryn, and joshua!!! Though, an honorable mention goes to india!!! These three really shined tonight!!!!!! 😃😃😃😃😃😃

9. Ron says:

Kimberly killed, as usual. I could go on and on about the contestants, but I want to make a couple comments about the coaches. First, I’m loving Christina’s comments this season. Her whole “But the kids were great” comment (or something to that effect) after Hannah sang. Gotta love it. Second, I REALLY need Pharrell to stop pandering to specific sects of the country to vote for his team. It’s ridiculous and annoying now. He’s all the way down to pandering specifically to Ray LaMontagne fans?!?! Give it a rest.

• Kristee says:

This is the third week in a row pandering to the Christians on behalf of Koryn. Does he not think she can make the finals on her voice alone without throwing a bone to the bible beaters? lol

• kevstar says:

Koryn didn’t sing a Christian song. This week OR last. Get your facts straight.

• MC says:

“Girl on Fire” is a Christian song??? Lol! Some funny comments tonight.

• Cathy says:

Not unless she’s in hell.

• Birdy says:

If you listened to what Pharrell said, he noted “inspirational” as well as Christian. I guess he was saying that “Girl on Fire” is an inspirational song, and I guess it could be. But that doesn’t equate to being a “Christian” song.

• MC says:

@Birdy – It was interesting to me that Pharrell labeled “Girl on Fire” as an inspirational song. By my count, at least five of the eight songs performed on Monday’s show were “inspirational.” I would say that “Girl on Fire” is more of a feminist anthem, but this is all semantics. It certainly was meant to “inspire” young women. However, the term “inspirational” music is often used to denote a category of music, such as Gospel or “spiritual” music. Pharrell was probably taking advantage of the inherent ambiguity in the term itself. “Girl on Fire,” however, is obviously not a Christian song.

• Kristee says:

How about you first get your READING COMPREHENSION straight. Her song choices the past two weeks haven’t been pandering but Pharrell has been because for three weeks straight he has specifically singled out and urged the Christian / gospel block to vote for her. In my opinion that is pandering when it is NOT NECESSARY. She can do fine all on her own with her voice and talent without him pleading and begging and whipping out the God card on her behalf.

• MC says:

Did you ever hear the expression “All’s fair in love and war?” The coaches routinely withhold praise from singers on other teams or they overlook glaring flaws from their own singers. Xtina’s only specific comment about Hannah was a stinging critique of her lower register. Xtina routinely does this to singers on other teams. Koryn is getting by on her talent imo and I don’t mind some off-hand comments from Pharrell. It might be different if Koryn didn’t have a Gospel background, but she does have one. Every coach is looking for an advantage of some kind.

• The Beach says:

Well said. I agree completely.

• PlayTheGame says:

LOL…like the coaches aren’t going to advocate on behalf of their team in any way they can. To believe they would (or should) do other is just naïve.

• Lisa says:

I guess I took Pharrell’s comments differently than most of you did. I’ve seen coaches say basically that everyone should vote for their contestant, and made it sound like people would be crazy not to. I’ve seen Blake do that. I’m not complaining about it, because when they feel their contestant did exceptionally well, the coaches will say something like that. They usually say it about their own contestants, because it is their job to promote their own. What I saw in Pharrell was that instead of saying “everyone” should vote for Koryn or Sawyer, people that like that type of music should vote for them. It sounded to me like he was being kinda diplomatic about it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Creating narratives is Pharrell’s “thing” apparently. I’ll take that over Blake telling me that Corey Kent White had the performance of the century. Or that Danielle Bradberry has “the most important voice of this generation.” The weird thing is that it works for Blake and his contestants even when it’s as clear as day that nothing he says has any basis in reality.

• Birdy says:

“…. the performance of the century.” That had me ROTFL, Angie! Corey was no better than mediocre, as usual. Blake wishes it was a breakout performance. It was, I hope, a “push out” performance.

• Ron says:

I just looked at Michael’s grades (I was too busy being annoyed with Pharrell). Did you seriously give India and Corey the same grade? Hunty no! While I don’t like when people do SOTR on singing shows, India’s vocals, for the most part, were pretty good, even got chills a couple times. Corey? Gosh, just go home already. You’re not worthy of your top 8 position.

• Runner says:

” REALLY need Pharrell to stop pandering to specific sects of the country to vote for his team. It’s ridiculous and annoying now.” THANK YOU!!!!!! It is annoying. Pharrell either gives a really touching speech or a really ridiculous one. He’s like a box of chocolates – you never know what you’re gonna get :)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Pharrell is definitely creating a narrative for his two contestants. Notice how there’s zero risk taking whatsoever and he’s giving Sawyer and Koryn songs he knows they can nail? And how each and every song Koryn has sung has had some sort of “inspirational” bend. If that’s what voters need, I’m fine with it, but I agree that it is a tad annoying.

• Runner says:

The narrative bit is an interesting angle for sure. I wonder where he came up with that?

• TC says:

Why wouldn’t a coach give their team members songs they can nail? Isn’t the point that they want their team members to exceed and gather as many votes as possible? What am I missing here?

• Angie_Overrated says:

I agree with your point. What I think you missed in my statement is that unexpected songs can also be winners for contestants, but we’re not getting anything even remotely unexpected for Koryn or Sawyer. The stuff Kimberly is singing is unexpected. Joshua singing Budapest was unexpected. Cory singing Bad English was unexpected. And those were their best performances.

• bobsaccamanna says:

ITA Pharrell is the worse and needs to stop pandering to specific groups, but it’s just as annoying for Blake to tell Corey that this was the night he had his breakout performance for America(or something like that I’m paraphrasing). It’s a good season for The Voice with lots of talent, if anything that should be Corey’s exit performance, two people have to go I know but there were clearly 7 better singers than Corey on that stage tonight.
      And I’ll get trashed for this I’m sure, I know Kimberly is a fantastic singer and isn’t going anywhere, nor should she, but I absolutely hated that arrangement of Creep tonight, it was all over the place and I think for a singer as talented as Kimberly, just singing the melody of that beautiful song, as it was written, would have been very powerful. JMO
      My two favorites of the night were Joshua and Koryn.

• Mike says:

Good to know I’m not the only one that hated Creep. A normally very solid Kimberly was not so much tonight. And to grade Meghan below Cory is ridiculous. He was terrible with a song choice that was not good for his voice and style.

• Birdy says:

To grade anyone below Corey is questionable, to say the least (unless it’s Hannah, but I’d say they’re tied). I really, really don’t understand how he’s stayed in this long….

• Alex says:

I didn’t care for the aranglement either. I’ve heard way better jazzy arrangments on YouTube. However, her vocals were pretty awesome.

• james says:

@ bobsaccamanna: ITA. i’m getting tired of xtina having her divas “diva-fy” these raw rock songs. first india did it with take me to church and now kim did it with creep. neither worked. i did not believe for a second that kim was a creep. nor did i believe india was going to defy church

10. Runner says:

A “C” for Megan Linsey? Whoa, dude, that’s out of order – especially considering you gave Corey a “B-.” Like no, unacceptable.

• Janelle says:

He gave Rayvon from Idol a B last week for an absolute train wreck of a performance so I’m not surprised. His grades often make no sense whatsoever.

• analythinker says:

Agreed!! I don’t think it’s even tough love for her, just unfairness.

• MC says:

There’s no way Meghan was worse than CKW imo. She should get points for the degree of difficulty alone on “Something.”

• Birdy says:

Not sure what I’d have given Megan, maybe her the B- and Corey a C or C-. If Megan hadn’t overdone that song so much, I’d have really enjoyed it. Some really good moments in it, but she beat it up too much, imo. It’s a love song, for goodness sakes, and I’d have preferred a tad more of a “less is more” approach….

• JM1 says:

I agree with your less is more preference! I’d just say I felt that way about nearly every performance (excepting Joshua, of course, hehe).

But no way no how should Meghan’s grade be lower than 6 other singers.

• Runner says:

This is a fair comment. I do feel sometimes they might feel they need to hit every note they know in every. single. song. I guess I can’t blame them for wanting it that bad. But there have been some very quiet songs on this show that have been very effective.

• Birdy says:

Totally agree, Runner! But a lot of people seem to think that every song has to be a “belter” or it’s “boring.” It’s exhausting to listen to overwrought vocals all the time. I still think Sawyer’s “Man of Constant Sorrow” was about the best performance of this season. Many performances could have benefited from a lower-key approach.

• danin says:

Absolutely.Corey was mediocre to awful tonight.Meghan a B..B-.Wanted her to find more sweet spots.And I always am rooting for her to do well.Really I haven’t heard people’s complaints about Corey’s pitch until tonight.

• Birdy says:

Corey sounds slightly off-key to me every week. But, then again, I can’t sing a lick (but at least I know it–lol), so maybe my ears aren’t fine tuned enough.

11. James says:

I seriously don’t get what problem Michael has with India. She has a beautiful voice and I don’t think that her performance was overdone tonight. That’s just her style and I think she executed it perfectly. Week after week he gives her bad grades and she is deserving of so much better in my opinion.

• Kimmy says:

India is clearly holding back on her vocals because she’s scared people will start calling her “The Goat Whisperer” again because of her runaway vibrato.

• MC says:

India is not comfortable at this point and it feels to me like she’s backed into a corner. She and Xtina are worried too much about the possible backlash to her vibrato. She might have done just enough to get through to next week. India’s fate could be directly tied to the voting response for Hannah. I thought Hannah was better than usual this week, although her lower register was not strong. Hannah did sing the chorus with plenty of confidence and conviction imo, but then again MS just gives her a C- every week.

• JM1 says:

I did think India’s vibrato was a bit much in the beginning, but how come she gets called bad names and Koryn gets praised? Not fair!

• Angie_Overrated says:

India can’t win. She has a very light voice, and that’s what the vibrato on really light voices sounds like. Contrary to some of the things I keep reading about her, there is nothing whatsoever technically wrong with what she’s doing. It makes me sad to see people calling her “goaty” because that’s simply what even the best singers in the world sound like when they have similar voice types. Same is true of the lighter voices in Broadway or classical. India is screwed no matter what she does at this point and is no doubt out this week or next. :(

• Smokey says:

If the poll above is any accurate reflection of how the voting may go — it would be Meghan,,, Hannah,,,, India,,,,,and Corey in the bottom half of the top 8…………..Sawyer is already at #3 on itunes,,,,Joshua at #16, so Joshua may hold-on this week. …. the 2 eliminations will most likely be among the …Hannah,,,India,,,Meghan….Corey group of contestants. I think it will be two of the ladies, simply because Corey is the only male country choice left for that voting block.

• Paula says:

According to iTunes charts, Hannah, India and Koryn will be bottom three. I think Koryn will get the instant save

• Birdy says:

She does have a beautiful voice, and I think she was great tonight–better than last week. Her version was just different, and I don’t think it was overdone (borderline, perhaps, in places, but in control). I think she deserves better “grades,” too.

• safado says:

She kept embellishing a song that needs no embellishment. When it’s sung simply it breaks your heart. India made it an opera. (And I usually like India.)

• MC says:

It was technically good, but the charm was not there. Heck, Carly Rose Sonenclar did it better than India imo.

• Birdy says:

I can see what you’re saying, and I would say that about loads of performances on the show this season–LOL! I do think SOTR would have been wonderful sung simply, but I still liked India’s version. Much better, imo, than Megan’s over-cooked job on “Something.”

• Lisa says:

If she “just sung it simply”, the consensus would be that the song sounded dated and she should have made it sound more current. Sometimes these contestants can’t win for losing.

• Caroline says:

India threw in way too many unnecessary vocal runs into that SOTR performance. SOTR is a beautiful, simple song that does not need any vocal embellishments to begin with. But India decided to make it all about vocal gymnastics, especially in the last part of her performance. It did nothing to enhance the beauty of the melody or to underline the emotional lyrics.

12. Eileen says:

I think Sawyer and Kimberly are the best. Hands down.

13. MAB says:

Sawyer is already almost top 10. Josh is 27.

14. I don’t understand the appeal of Sawyer. I don’t like his voice, but I dislike his blank stare and empty smile even more. Also don’t understand all the hate on Hannah. I think she’s got a lot of energy and personality.

I think Kimberly’s our winner.

• Davey says:

I want Sawyer to cut his hair and stop wearing that darn hat.

• Runner says:

LOL. I keep having to remember that Sawyer is 15 – or that doe-eyed stare would annoy me. He’s a sweet kid. I guess he is appealing to someone – his songs skyrocket up the charts, if that’s any proof. Kimberly, everyone, will have pull a rabbit out their hat to beat that kid… Kimberly was absolutely stunning tonight. I would be thrilled if she won. I feel the same about Koryn and Megan though… :)

• MC says:

Sawyer is not my favorite, but there have been few boys of his age on these talent shows who have shown as much poise and talent as he has demonstrated. It’s more common for young teenage girls to make a big splash on these shows. Sawyer deserves some credit for hanging in there with some very talented people this season.

• ladycaravan says:

I think he is the male version of Danielle Bradberry, same blank stare and long blonde locks :)

• kevstar says:

Danielle has a better voice, but Sawyer will win. He never gets anything negative said about him, from the coaches.

• tank says:

I can’t decide if he’s more robot or muppet.

• Birdy says:

Sawyer is that kind of singer/musician that you either “get” and you love, or you don’t. Please remember that he’s just a kid and doesn’t have the confidence of poise of older, more seasoned performers. His “blank” stare and “empty” smile (I disagree with you on that one) are probably teen shyness. It’s amazing he can get up and do what he does week after week. Who of us could have done that at 16? As for his voice, there are a lot of people to whom it appeals. But it’s not just his voice–it’s the soulfulness and depth he brings to his songs. He sucks you in–if you’re one of the fans who “gets” his style.

• JM1 says:

The blank stare is an attempt at composure, which the constant nervous giggle (appealingly) gives away.

• Cip says:

if you performed live in front of millions of viewers at his age ( or now for that matter), I’m sure your composure and nerves would be questionable at best

• Birdy says:

Great comment, Clp! I hate it that a lot of people here seem to want glitz and polish, and denigrate people who don’t already have a professional stage presence. I want glitz and polish, I’ll go to Vegas. Otherwise, I’m more interested in talent, whether raw or developed.

15. Evan says:

I think this is one of my favorite seasons of the show. However, whereas some people liked the quieter moments, I preferred the big ones. It also doesn’t help that I despise that Sting song that Joshua sang. I hope we don’t get a shocking elimination tomorrow.

16. Angie_Overrated says:

Pretty good night. Even Corey was mostly in tune (if we can please FOREVER disremember that opening group number when he was “harmonizing” with Joshua).
    Best of the night were easy: Kimberly and Koryn (again!).
    Worst: Joshua. Ugh. I laughed out loud when he said that song was “swinging for the fences.” Dude, the song has a one octave range and you were STILL flubbing notes. I guess next week if he’s there his tour de force encore can be Mary Had a Little Lamb.

• analythinker says:

Lol. I was like ‘hearing him with Joshua side by side really highlights his flaws’. But seriously, Joshua’s the worst? I missed his performance and haven’t seen YT.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ugh. I just have no patience with people who intentionally sing easy songs and can’t nail them. If you can’t master an easy song, get the @#$% off my tv. There are too many people in this competition who are nailing really difficult music.

• Karla says:

On the one hand I agree about this is so not the time to be boring. (Not a Joshua fan, he’s super generic, and agree with comments Fields of Gold is the worst.) On the other hand, it’s know playing/singing music fast & loud is relatively easy. It’s the quiet, slow stuff that proves quality & skill. Kind of like a chef proves theirs skill making a plain omelet. So I wouldn’t say it’s “easy” to do something plain & slow.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I wasn’t arguing that slow is easier than fast. I was arguing that a song with no vocal range is not something we should be rewarding in the final 8 of a really good season. Not only did the song have no range, but he still couldn’t hit all the notes in an especially easy song.

• danin says:

Oh my god,Corey sounded awful.Meghan did good,didn’t give me goosebumps,but good enough.Thought Kim took zero advice from her coaches for first half of her song&didn’t believe she connected to the lyrics.2nd half she succeeded.Josh, I wasn’t feeling him,nice voice but no emotional connection.Sawyer wanted to sing a song by Jason Isbell and got saddled w/Lynard Skinnard’s Simple Man..ugh.Too bad he didn’t get to sing the song of his choice or even Graham Nash’s beautiful Simple Man.A whole other song than LS.Koryn started her song beautifully and then shouted awfully for the last 2/3’s.India did a pretty version of Rainbow.Hannah..haha.Still like her

• Angie_Overrated says:

In defense of Koryn, there’s no other way to sing that song without shouting the chorus. Letting the tone float into the head isn’t consistent with the lyrics. It was probably Koryn’s weakest vocal to date, but unlike Joshua, she was singing a very challenging song. It was the anti-Joshua song choice. And she mostly delivered.

• JM1 says:

Alicia K does not holler like that!

Joshua does not choose as vocally demanding songs, for sure, but there is an appeal to his simple, comforting sings. . . especially when everyone else is screaming at us.

• Angie_Overrated says:

On that song you better believe Alicia Keys hollers like that. The difference is her voice isn’t as big as Koryn’s.
            I cannot abide by someone singing songs as simple as Joshua’s. This is the final 8 in a really good season. If this is the best he has to offer, he needs to go. Now. That was painful as painful can be. When even Corey and Hannah are outdoing you, you know you’re in trouble.

• JM1 says:

Koryn’s voice is nowhere near Alicia’s league.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I wasn’t arguing who was better. I was saying Koryn’s voice is larger than Alicia’s voice. Period. That’s an objective statement with zero opinion.

• Birdy says:

JM1, usually I adore Koryn, but her performance last night did very little for me. There’s a difference between singing loudly but well (Alicia), and just being loud. Unfortunately, I think Koryn was more loud than good last night. Her face held all the pathos of the song, but, personally, I couldn’t connect with it because I just didn’t feel the shadings it should have. I think she was too loud and it sounded as if she were trying too hard. That being said, Alicia Keys is fabulous on that song, and it was a tough one to tackle. And, she was still way better than Hannah!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Have you heard Alicia Keys sing that song live? She’s worse than Koryn was. It’s just a song that you’re designed to fail on, and shouldn’t be performed live (or ever, for that matter). The way it sits at the top of the voice and requires one to wail for measures and measures is a recipe for disaster. I love Alicia Keys and she’s one of my favorite artists of all time, but that song sucks big time.

17. Mytake says:

I love Kimberly!! I just hope the perennial bias against anyone over 18 doesn’t stop her from advancing. Her and Sawyer are the two that I can’t wait to see each week and lately she’s been blowing everyone away IMO.

18. 2Blessed says:

I really enjoyed Koryn and Kimberly, as usual. I enjoyed Josh AND Corey for the first time in weeks, and Meghan seemed to take a step back this week for me. Something was just off with her performance…

19. Mytake says:

I have to say that I’m really liking Xtina this year. I love that when she’s showing her team what she means by time or arrangement etc that she actually SINGS! By God she’s got an amazing voice too. When any of the other coaches go to demonstrate an idea to their members they use that “fake ” voice. I don’t know how to explain it, but they don’t actually sing in their real voice to show their members what they mean when they are giving ideas. Xtina full out sings to show them, as if she was singing at a concert.

• JM1 says:

+100. I’ve come to appreciate her voice much more through her coaching on The Voice than her actual records. That voice IS amazing.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Because Xtina is the only one on that panel who can sing. We were cringing in our living room when Gwen was demonstrating something to Sawyer or Koryn and attempted to sing. That was embarrassing.

• MC says:

Sometimes it is very helpful because Xtina has hit on a specific moment in the song where an emphasis has to be placed. I thought her singing suggestion last week was totally on point, but this one tonight felt gratuitous and self-indulgent to me. Xtina is the all-time best vocal coach on The Voice because she takes it seriously as a craft, but imo she does have her moments of self-indulgence.

20. Same grades for India and Corey? Seriously?! Leave your crush for Corey out the door pls.

21. Lisa Hogan says:

You shouldn’t have Blake in this vote! We are all looking at the competitors and not the judges! India has the most lovely pure voice and is so versatile. They are all great. American Idol has maybe two good performances each week whereas the Voice has all great performances such that selecting the two that should go home is so difficult. I just love the Voice! I literally am so happy when it is on and I get to watch the talent that they have!

22. Kate says:

I think it is crap that they were saying the version of Creep that Kimberly Nichole did was so original and never done before when it was done 2 weeks ago by Vintage Postmodern Jukebox featuring Haley Reinhart. That went VIRAL, and sorry, but Haley did it better.

23. JM says:

Hannah – Meh
    Joshua – Boy, they really want to send him home, don’t they? Adam’s one singer and he goes 2nd? He did well, but then I’m a HUGE Sting fan.
    Kimberly – What’s up? She went 1st last week and 3rd this week??? Doesn’t The Voice know gold when they see it??
    Meghan and India – Simple songs way overdone
    Sawyer – good, but dang he looked awkward walking around. He should just lose the guitar for one performance.
    Corey – Ugh.
    Koryn – Heaven.

24. analythinker says:

I must admit that every season I slowly lose interest as the number of contestants is shrinking, I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s the sinking feeling when it’s clear that the winner will be the one less deserving.

• Angie_Overrated says:

It is disheartening, and I know many people who stopped watching the show after the first 2 or 3 seasons when that kept happening over and over and over. I’ve stuck with it, but I know exactly what you mean. Remember that season Jake Worthington came in #2 when there were 5 or 6 amazing singers who went before him?

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

This usually happens to me, also. In most cases it’s because the song choices get safe and boring. (And then there was the year Blake dominated with his all Hee Haw team, but that’s another story). For the most part, the show is more interesting to me when the contestants are choosing their own songs. They tend to be edgier, and tell us more about them as performers.

25. Mytake says:

Who the holy hell is styling Meghan? She looks like Barbara Stanwick in the 1950’s.

• Angie_Overrated says:

This just made me lol. Spot on. And very funny!
      Last week she looked good. This week was definitely a regression.

• safado says:

No. She looks like Betty Grable in the 50s–think “How to Marry a Millionaire .”

• Birdy says:

Nothing wrong with a 50s’ look–if you can successfully pull it off. Megan can’t. Last week was the most well styled she’s been. She sure looked frumpy the first few weeks. I don’t think most of the women have been exceedingly well styled at all, actually. The show needs new stylists, imo.

26. Jisun says:

Just B- for India? I disagree, I think she deserves an A. Kimberly and India ftw!

27. Soma says:

Sawyer is the one to beat! He is devinely perfection. Please VOTE SAWYER!!!! A huge FAN.

28. Lisa J. says:

Koryn over Kimberly? Not this week. Koryn has really shined over the past couple weeks but she lost some mojo walking down those steps. Kimberly is like Adam Lambert. Kills every week with artistry, originality and talent. Her interpretation surpassed the one offered by Gwen Stefani — added a bit of carnivalesque irony while retaining the beautiful agony of the lyrics. That’s what was going on with that collapse into the fog. Agree about India. She is so talented but … something is missing. Tenderness maybe? Not sure.

29. Laura C says:

I’m in it for Meghan for girl, Sawyer for guy.

30. I’m upset they didn’t let Kimberly say she used Haley Reinhart’s arrangement on the show, and the coaches pretended she came up with it on her own. Especially since it was released 2 weeks ago. Kimberly mentioned it on her Twitter, but not as many people follow her Twitter as watch the Voice, and Postmodern Jukebox deserved to get some viewers sent their way.

• Terry says:

I agree. I feel bad for Kimberly, she is obviously a fan of Haley’s but she’s getting attacked by a bunch of psychotic Haley stans and she wouldn’t be if The Voice had let her say it was Postmodern Jukebox’s arrangement (sung by Haley Reinhart) on the live show. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just give that credit on air, doesn’t make any sense.

31. JM says:

Who the heck is voting for CKW??? He’s at #41–30 spots ahead of Koryn! People must be deaf!
    Good news is Matt McAndrew is doing well at #28 although I much prefer ‘Wasted Love’.

32. Fdo says:

So i’m done with you Michael. Are you kidding me? India a B-, there’s no freaking way i know she wasn’t perfect but still she was much better than corey and joshua. And another thing, what’s up with all the love for idol, i mean one thing is to say they are good, but to say “season 14 is one of the best ones” that’s poop. You should be talking about how amazing this season of the voice is instead of saying that jax or quentin are amazing … insane, just insane!

33. Sherry says:

where’s the love for Matt McAndrew? I loved the new single. Had a Black Crowes feel.

34. Kelly says:

Having Matt on the show made me think of something odd. He sang Take me to Church, Make it Rain, Over the Rainbow, and of course Wasted Love last season, and ALL of them have been covered again this season. Strange!

35. I’ve gotten used to downloading Kimberly’s studio tracks. But when I saw “Creep” I was bummed out because I had just downloaded Postmodern Jukebox/Haley’s version and didn’t want to get the same song again so quick.

But, looky here, they went ahead and copied PMJ, so I have nothing to worry about. Haley’s version it is!

36. Scott says:

I think Kimberly is in a league of her own. Unfortunately, I don’t think she will win, but I will buy anything that she releases. Love Koryn, wasn’t her best tonight but she still delivered. Really like Meghan but she did too much too that song, same with India, great voices though. I like Josh, but don’t think this is the show for him. Ready for Corey and Hannah to leave tomorrow.

37. jc says:

Does anyone else not want Sawyer to win? I know he sings good but I want underdogs winning these types of shows and he far off from being an underdog. Koryn is now my top candidate to win.

38. Harry Wild says:

Blake fans need to step it up or he will out of the race for this season. I like all his singers!

39. karmagod says:

Corey is garbage. Should have been off the show weeks ago. The ONLY reason he got this far is cause of looks, period. He sounds like he fakes his ‘country’ accent in songs pretty hard, and his ‘high’ octave is as high as my shoelace. Pure garbage and fan girls are the only ones voting for him to stay on this show. Hopefully the voice overwrites the vote in the final 4 (we know america is going to let this untalented garbage get there) but they just have to keep it on the hush. Sawyer should win. If he ever so slightly changes some things, he will win easily. Didnt like his last song when he sounded raspy for almost the whole song. The last 10 seconds is what we need more of.

40. Vicki Hurd says:

Did not like Kimberly’s version of The Creep. Not at all!

• Gailer says:

Me either. I hate covers of British bands including the Beatles.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I liked it. :) A lot actually. I wasn’t crazy about that girl from Idol’s cover of it last year, and Danica Shirey’s cover was straight up weird. Why the industrial fans and tuba accompaniment, Danica / Pharrell?

• Emily says:

Angie, have you heard the Postmodern Jukebox version (which, to be honest was pretty much a large chunk of Kimberly’s version)? It featured Haley Reinhart and is gorgeous.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Once step ahead of ya. I downloaded it after reading these comments on here. And I LOVE it!!! Love Ms. Reinhart as well.
          Thanks for the recommendation though. :)

41. jw says:

Joshua’s performance in the opening group song was better, in some ways, than his solo. But the solo was very good. I wasn’t thrilled with the first part of Kimberly’s performance….it was too clean and precise, the phrases too clipped at that point. But when she opened up and then through that ending it really worked.

42. Birdy says:

I don’t see how Koryn got a better grade than Kimberly! I think Kimberly was much better tonight than Koryn. Honestly, I like Koryn, but I didn’t think tonight’s was her best, by a long shot.

43. Kaba says:

We gonna talk about that pitiful attempt at singing from Gwen Stefani?
    That was sad. Really sad.

• MC says:

Were you a fan of No Doubt? Gwen was a great stage performer in her heyday and she wrote a lot of their songs. She has never been a power vocalist, however. There are many singers who have to do vocal exercises (“warm up”) before they sing. I suspect she’s that type of singer. Xtina is the exception, not the rule. There are very few pop singers who can belt out notes at the drop of a hat.

• Kaba says:

I listen to No Doubt here and there, I know she’s not the best vocalist…but I had to turn up my TV to even acknowledge that she was singing a note to begin with.

44. Kaba says:

Sawyer is already #3 on the overall iTunes…
    Koryn is almost dead last…
    What the hell

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t know what I’m more disgusted by:
      Koryn near dead last or Joshua about to break the top 10 on iTunes with an easy song he still somehow managed to screw up. If there’s anything we learned from this dichotomy, it’s to choose easy songs. Girl on Fire is a beast (in more ways than one… I really hate that song and it’s far and away AK’s worst major release, but she sang it pretty well).

• Kaba says:

I’m just flat out disgusted.
        Koryn flat outsang the life out of everyone tonight imo. (didn’t care for Kim) and she’s fighting her way out the bottom?
        I pray the gospel and Christian community (hate saying this) really pull through for her because she has no business in the bottom.
        Her song was difficult as hell. Anyone saying she ‘screamed’ the song hasn’t payed attention to Meghan essentially testing the boundaries of her range each week.
        Also, you HAVE to holler that song. It’s like a Katy Perry song, you can’t picture it actually being ‘sung’. You imagine Keys/Perry literally screaming this song at you.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I was gchat with a friend who’s also a singer, and we both screamed “NOOOOOO!!!!!!!” when we heard what Koryn was singing. Not only is it a terrible song to begin with, but the way it has to be sung is so unappealing. I’ve yet to hear anyone do it well despite many attempts.
          I’m going to be so sad tomorrow if the bottom 3 are Meghan, India and Koryn. And there’s a half-way decent chance of that being the bottom 3. Hannah will probably be down there, but two people who don’t deserve to be there will be there with her.

• Kaba says:

I don’t for the life of me understand this Sawyer praise.
            The winners that have been crowned, alone, ought to set the precedent that the voice goes beyond your average easy to listen to folk vocal. Seriously, it’s not like this kid is innovative or anything. It’s not a preference of betlers here, it’s the legitimate fact that everyone left on the show aside from I guess Hannah and Corey, are eons better than Sawyer could ever hope to be vocally and they’re all just as capable of doing this simple minded ‘sit down and just sing’ type songs.
            Rather, they insist on giving us their best, not their casual.
            This kid is more overrated than Danielle Bradbery.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m with you, Kaba. I don’t get the Sawyer love at all. He really connects for some listeners, but I don’t find anything unique or thrilling about what I’m hearing. I don’t think he’s bad. For a young kid, he’s pretty good. But Koryn is one year older than him. Just sayin’…
            All that being said, he had a decent performance tonight. And when he was singing in that trio at the top of the show, he was the only one in tune (granted, he was singing with Joshua and Corey, but still, that’s something, no?).

• Kaba says:

I’m just gonna swallow my disdain and accept this Sawyer win for what it is.
            Koryn growls and taps into so much more emotion than this kid could ever dream of.
            And she’s fighting her way out of the bottom of iTunes. Shame

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m not sure I can emotionally stomach a Sawyer or Joshua win. If this were a talentless season like the last season, I’d have been like “yeah, whatever.” I can’t argue that Reagan James or Jessie Pitts are better than.. well.. better than anyone from this season. But if either Sawyer or Joshua beats Kimberly or Koryn, I’m not entirely sure I can continue watching the show. I like good singing. I don’t like singers who sound like they’re playing pin the tail on the donkey with their pitch or have to clutch their rabbit’s foot when they get to a high note hoping that they’re on the right side of the numbers for their 30% accuracy (otherwise known as 70% inaccuracy). Correct notes are kind of important if one wants to be a singer.

• Birdy says:

Well, I agree with you on this point, Angie. Horrible choice of a song, and personally, I don’t think she pulled it off. I like her a LOT, but I don’t understand the raving over her performance last night. She surely has had far better so far.

• analythinker says:

THIS is exactly what I meant a few weeks back about Koryn’s song choices (did she choose this one, though? I missed that part). She sings songs that she’s confident about, and I think that doesn’t translate well in terms of emotional sense. Perhaps that’s why.

• Runner says:

It is revolting that Joshua made the Top 10. Tonight’s elimination will be brutal. Oh Koryn????? Dangit.

45. Al says:

Great singers are a dime a dozen….thousands of them out there looking for work. The true talents are Sawyer and Josh because what they do goes far beyond just belting a tune. Go watch some of Sawyer’s earlier videos, and watch what he was doing at 12 years old and the songs he was singing…some of which he wrote. The age thing is definitely a factor. A plus for Sawyer, and a drawback for Josh with the public.
    Can’t figure out how Hanna and Corey are still in this. Kim and some of the others are too Las Vegas–not my thing.

• Angie_Overrated says:

“Great singers are a dime a dozen….thousands of them out there looking for work. The true talents are Sawyer and Josh because what they do goes far beyond just belting a tune.”
      I just shuddered reading this. There are far more singers like Joshua and Sawyer looking for work. Contrary to what you may think, good singers are not a dime a dozen. Other than Kimberly, I can’t think of one single contestant who hasn’t hit one bad note this season. And Koryn is the only other one who didn’t hit one bad note in an entire song (last week with Make it Rain).

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Koryn made up for that tonight

• Angie_Overrated says:

She also had the guts to try singing a song that actually requires skill unlike some others (cough cough JOSHUA and to a lesser extent Sawyer cough cough).

• Birdy says:

Yeah, she had guts to try that song. But I’d rather have heard her do something well within her capability and hit it out of the park. Which I don’t think she did at all last night. Points for trying, but, unfortunately, I think she did herself more harm than good with that choice. I like to see artists push themselves, but I think she just tried too darn hard with that song.

• Gailer says:

I totally agree with you! I will always be an indie fan and a fan of singer songwriters. A voice never has to be perfect, in fact imperfect and unique is better.

• Birdy says:

Agreed, Galler! Sometimes it’s the imperfections in an artist’s voice that give it uniqueness and honesty. Rod Stewart is one of my favorite singers ever, and nobody would ever accuse him of having a fabulous voice! It’s only fabulous because he knows what he can do with it, doesn’t sing what doesn’t work for him, and is a great stage performer.

• Kim Moores says:

‘Great singers are a dime a dozen’
      You don’t expect anyone to take your nonsense serious after that opening statement, right?

• Kristee says:

Oh please, Josh is absolutely dime a dozen! Nothing special there at all. I see people way better than him playing for loose change on the streets. I do however agree there is something special about Sawyer worth exploring further. As far as Kimberly is concerned, she can not only out-sing Josh on her worse day, she can also out-emote and connect to her songs wayyyy better than he could ever dream. No matter what Josh sings I picture fluffy white clouds and rainbows. Maybe he can book a one spot gig singing the alphabet for children and puppets on Sesame Street.

46. Kim says:

Ok…I am just going to say this. I have been watching the voice since the beginning, I absolutely just cried my eyes out, listening to Kimberly sing Creep tonight. Oh my God! Really? I completely love her voice and her passion and she has the heart that will make her win this!
    Kimberley rocks!! Go Girl!!!!

47. Blynn says:

Blake should have kept Cody.

48. Deb says:

Felt like the journey that India should have taken us on was way off base. Being of the age of the original Wizard and from KS…she should have started as a small girl at the beginning and BLOWN us away at the end with her great voice. :(

49. Margie Salazar says:

Koryn or Sawyer are Excellent choices for Emotion Filled song, ‘STAND TALL’ by Burton Cummings, formerly of The Guess Who.

50. Tori says:

Please, tell me what was (and is) so amazing about Sawyer or his performances?
    Emotion? I don’t sense an ounce of it, but I guess if I looked and always sounded like some sad and introspective 15 year old I’d be believable too.
    Vocals? Kid sounds like a straight goat. Yall diss the sound of rapid vibratos but that isn’t the only way to attain that goat sound and he’s got it.
    He definitely isn’t a master of being in tune, and don’t you fools dare defend his out of tune moments cause I bet you’re the same folks who slandered Quentin on AI for it.
    Easy to listen to vocals? God no, he’s boring as piss. I can name so many better and more distinct Indie/folk artists, he is not necessary.
    Nope, nothing about him stands about aside from his long hair.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I nominate this post for “TVLine Post of the Year.” I laughed. I cried. I cheered. Particularly the goat part. All the people saying India has a goat vibrato? Um… no. India does not have a goat vibrato at all. That’s what light lyric voices sound like with vibrato (listen to Lawrence Brownlee, Anna Moffo, or Cecilia Bartoli who have even lighter voices with even more rapid vibratos if you don’t believe me). You want to hear a goat vibrato? That’s Sawyer unfortunately.

• Tori says:

When I saw the hype for this kid I finally gave in and expected this boy to be some sort of revelation.
        Not. At. All.
        ‘He digs into emotion’ my foot! This kid sings with a flat expression and then his bleat-ish moody sounding voice just fools everyone.
        As for the goat thing, the kid grew up on a farm! If anyone sounds like a goat it’s the kid who falls asleep to the sounds of their bleats on a nightly basis.
        I can’t fathom the popularity of this kid. He is not a gift to folk music and we have plenty of gifts to folk music considering there always seems to be another folk band getting radio play.

• Tori says:

The only revelation is that people are damned nuts.

• MC says:

I think Slezak has eloquently explained Sawyer’s gifts in his many columns this season. I am not a huge Sawyer fan, but I can certainly understand his appeal.

• Birdy says:

Sounds to me, Tori, that you just really don’t care for the type of music he plays and sings. Which is, of course, your right. But quite clearly millions of people disagree with your assessment of Sawyer; they can’t all be wrong, can they be? I guess you must not like Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, Bruce Springsteen, and all the other stars who have very non-classic, non-traditional, rough-around-the-edges singing voices (although, of course, not all in the same genre as Sawyer). Not that I’m saying Sawyer is the equal of those people, or has the same type of voice, but I think he has the potential to come close. As far as the type of music he does, lots of people like it. Someone doesn’t need to have a golden voice or do trendy music to be talented….

• TC says:

Well said Birdy. Thank you! And I think the “goat” thing has worked pretty darn well for performers like Shakira, Stevie Nicks and Eddie Vedder. Some “adults” on this page should take some lessons in couth from the likes of the younger performers on The Voice.

• Davey says:

I like the type of songs Sawyer sings a lot but not always sung by him!