Good Wife Finale Scoop: Kalinda Will Be Back (and Fans Will Be Very Happy)

The Good Wife Finale

Good Wife fans feeling underwhelmed by Kalinda’s abrupt departure in Sunday’s episode will be heartened to learn that Archie Panjabi‘s short-skirted, leather-booted PI is poised to make the mother of all encores.

TVLine has learned that Panjabi — whose exit from the series was announced back in October — figures prominently in the CBS drama’s May 10 season finale. In fact, sources confirm that the episode, titled appropriately “Old Issues,” is poised to feature that scene.

Yep, barring any last-minute tweaks to the episode, “Kalicia” ‘shippers will get the face-to-face moment between Panjabi and Julianna Margulies for which they’ve been waiting nearly three years. And I hear it’ll be a crowd-pleaser — satisfying, heartbreaking, funny, etc.

And just as important as the dialogue exchanged between the characters is the setting of the momentous scene.

Back in March, Good Wife co-creator Robert King told TVLine that the decision to keep the two characters apart “is very much intentional to raise expectations,” adding that viewers should, “stay tuned.”

1. Tom says:

I’m so so glad to hear this. I would’ve been really disappointed if last night’s episode was Kalinda’s final one without having a face-to-face with Alicia one last time.

2. TV Gord says:

This should (but probably won’t) stop people from all of the conclusion-jumping that was done in the earlier story. It gets so tiresome…

3. abz says:

I’ll believe it when I see it. I hope its true. It won’t make up for the stupidity of having them not share the screen together in almost 3 years, but at this point I’ll take what I can get.

4. Pixel says:

Will Cary and Kalinda have a more meaningful talk and a real closure?

• Denise says:

I sadly doubt it as Archie Panjabi tweeted a picture of her filming last night’s scene saying it was the last time she worked with Matt Czuchry.

• raffyx says:

It’s a really shame. Alicia and Kalinda didn’t have any kind of relationship since season 4. Cary and Kalinda were always there for each other in the last year. I know it’s not going to end well for them but I don’t think that brief scene with them was enough to give them a proper closure.

• abz says:

Closure with Alicia over closure with Cary for me any day.

• Jan says:

YES! ITA. Never really “fe’t” the relationship between Kalinda and Cary. The last few seasons with no Alicia-Kalinda contact has been sad … we so rarely get to see friendships between strong women.

5. Walter Freeman says:

I’m gonna laugh if things are edited in such a way that conspiracy theorists will claim Panjabi and Margulies were never together during filming of the scene. Think over the shoulder shots, but no face to face interactions.

6. EJ says:

And so we continue to be flat-out lied to. Alicia and Kalinda were kept separate since the middle of Season 4 because there was a serious issue between Panjabi and Margulies. I wish CBS/The Kings, etc. own up to this someday, somehow.

• Tyler says:

Did it really matter? Season 5 had Alicia siding with Cary and Kalinda siding with Will. I think it made sense that neither of them had much contact with each over. And then this season Alicia was so busy with her campaign that she didn’t have much time for anyone.

• rowan77 says:

How are we being lied to?

7. scott21 says:

I’m sorry but i just dont belive it :( i’m afraid it will be edited like in the previous episode the”and florrick” scene. Or they are going to use green screen. Or cgi kalinda or something

8. Gonzalez says:

this is exciting news! And to the conspiracy theorists, I think if both actresses weren’t on good terms, they would still both be professionals and do there job, so I don’t think that’s why we haven’t seen them together.

9. Liam says:

This is my favorite couple on TV so yes. I hate how they have not shared the screen since season 4

10. Jenna says:

This makes me smile. Now I can look forward to the finale. Hopefully, the show will end on a high note, as this season has been uneven, at best.

11. Knope says:

“Is very much intentional to raise expectations” ………….. yeaaaahh rightttt

12. anne says:

The setting of the scene is of course the bar!!! Can’t wait

13. Beckers0505 says:

It’s about d*mn time those two are in the same scene. Whatever the exact reason is, it’s still pure nonsense that they wouldn’t do a scene together earlier!!!

14. Tom W. says:

That’s the stupidest reason for keeping those two apart that I have ever heard – and it has caused the show to turn into a real stinker for the most part.

I think this shows obviously that as soon as soon as Julianna Margulies received Ex.Producer billing she refused to share the screen with the award winning Archie Panjabi who was easily the people’s favorite character on THE GOOD WIFE.

15. Gwen says:

If keeping them apart was intentional by the Kings….I’ve lost all respect for their sensibilities on what holds the viewer’s attention and what they care about. None. Nada. Reminds me of the yokels who screwed up How I Met Your Mother.

16. Mary Ann says:

I think it is amusing how many people are bothered by the fact that they have not shared screen time for so long. I have to admit that I don’t even notice it. The show is so well written, who cares if they are never in a room together?

• Jeri says:

Their night outs were full of amusing conversation & just plain fun. Very relaxed compared to all the drama.

• Christian says:

Their relationship was a pivotal part of the story, beginning from the very first episode that saw it grow through succeeding seasons. To all of a sudden have them separated was detrimental to the overall show. No amount of “good writing” could overlook that.

17. TGW fan says:

And abrupt is definitely was even though we knew it was coming.

I felt disappointed that they reduced her departure to a few moments and goodbyes in the third to the last episode of the season.

That said- Kalinda was caring and loyal to Alicia, Cary and Diane and her goodbyes were fitting for her . I like that they even went back to her apt where here money was stores in the wall . But why leave the hairbrush?

18. Ella says:

As excited as I am for this, I wish we’d get a final Cary/Kalinda scene too. He looked so devastated when she left. I love them together, dysfunctional as they may be, and I hope that she comes back for the series finale, whenever that is, so they can end up together.

19. Eurydice says:

Oh, I see. This was a three-year plan to raise expectations.

20. Really??? says:

I’ll be happy when it is announced that Kalinda is actually staying!!! Anything less than that is just a huge disappointment!

21. dman6015 says:

Who still believes that the 2+ year scene separation was “intentional”? Why can’t they just come out and say, “Juliana and Archie had a falling out three years ago over blah, blah, blah…”? They aren’t kidding anyone.

• Marnie says:

A friend of mine who works on the show says that JM and AP get along great. There is no conflict. Actually said that sometimes they sit together and read about how they don’t get along.

Once they wrote Kalinda having slept with Peter, there really was no reason for the two of them to really be close friends. Made sense to me.

• C says:

Why does it have to be personal? JM has made her thoughts on the believability of that friendship (and even the character of Kalinda) pretty clear since the end of S2. I find it far more likely that JM’s disagreement was with the Kings and the direction of A/K than with AP. There was a stark shift from the King’s in interviews from S3 to S4. And they dodged A/K questions left and right. I think this is far more likely an issue of creative differences. Why that turned into them never sharing a scene – it’s anyone’s guess. Could have been JM putting her foot down. Could have been the Kings trying to find a creative way to spin it that would “build up fan expectation.” Could have been something else entirely.

It was the wrong choice on the part of the showrunners either way. Those who aren’t attached to the relationship at all might not have noticed it’s absence, but I think anyone, who steps back objectively, can say that it’s strange for two people, in close proximity, working at the same law firm, within the same “social world” would never run into each other or have cause to be in the same room together. It’s bizarre. Especially when your protagonist shares scenes with every other member of your cast on the regular. While the quality of other aspects of the show remained, Kalinda’s character (and thread) completely disintegrated post S3. And they were grasping at straws trying keep her involved in the story without the help of the protagonist. In a lot of ways, it made something that could have been believable (two people who used to be friends drifting apart) and turned it into this “thing” that everybody noticed. I tend to believe that AP made Kalinda what she was (not the Kings) and honestly, without Alicia, they didn’t really know what to do with her.

22. Jason Qualls says:

I wish I could believe this, but sadly I’m guessing we’ll see them together in flashback only. Panjabi tweeted a few photos of her last day on TGW set, and they’re all obviously in the costumes/settings for episode 20. So unless they filmed scenes WAY out of order, like several weeks out of order (very, very unlikely for network), the Alicia/Kalinda reunion seems like a long-shot.

23. boohoo says:

The Good Investigator, the best part o the show, is over.

Now it’s just horrible politician wife. No one’s interested in that! There’s House of Cards, the better political drama. Bring back pure courtroom battle and maybe…just maybe the show can survive.

24. NotAnselAdams says:

So much BS. I don’t believe a word of it, sorry.
    I think you’re getting played, Ausiello.

25. Chuck says:

The Good Wife WAS a very good show. This last season, however, was just a joke. They were all over the place. For some reason the producers weren’t satisfied with just court room drama. They had to side track with a run for State Attorney by Alicia. And she WON. Surprise! Now what to do with the rest of cast? Let’s have an episode where there is voter fraud. That will get Alicia back with her firm. But, no. They had to throw in a suspicion of conspiracy by both parties. Now Alicia is looking at starting her own law firm all over again. I can’t take this series any longer. The producers seem to want to just fill in the time for a show. Instead of getting rid of Kalinda, they should get rid of Alan Cummings and Chris Noth, and get back to basics. Good old fashioned lawyering.

• TGW fan says:

While I agree with you on some points, the writers didn’t “get rid” of Kalinda. She left the show to go on to better things. Can t say that I blame her based on, as you say, where the show has been heading. I love Eli and his daughter. They could have brought in some crisis to manage or a new charchters campaign to manage . He is amazing ! Get rid of Chris both? Why ? Hes the man behind the good wife . The show has many ways they could go. Like you, I’m sad for the ways they chose . Season 7 should do it .

26. Fran says:

OMG I never even noticed they were not in scenes together for a year or more. It never mattered to me. I was following the story. But I did feel that the last 2 episodes shown on the tv were dull and poorly written – not up to Good Wife standards. The whole political office for Alicia was weak and contrived. Then the friendship between her and her opponent. Feh. Then Kalinda being Bishop’s kid’s babysitter (what a waste of Kalinda) and Peter and Alicia and Eli on giving up the position. It was all discombobulated. Starting another law firm? C’mon. I hope they get back on track. I expect better writing and acting from all the cast and writers.

27. Tammy says:

HAPPY KALINDA IS BACK!!!

28. TGW fan says:

Ok so I have gone back to season two and Kalinda and Alicia only filmed together when they was a group filming. Rarely ever when it was just the two of them together alone. I think the “conspiracy theory” goes back farther then we think. lots of body doubles with Kalinda and Alicia.