Post Mortems

Stalker Boss Breaks Down Beth vs. Ray Showdown, Chances for Season 2

Stalker CBS

This post contains spoilers from Monday’s episode of Stalker.

If you’re a Stalker fan who has been holding out hope for a Season 2 renewal, rest assured: Series creator Kevin Williamson is waiting with bated breath, too.

Just a few weeks before the TV execs make their renewal and/or cancellation decisions, Williamson remains cautiously optimistic about the CBS drama’s chances. Emphasis on “cautiously.”

“I have to have hope, right? You can’t get out of bed if you don’t have a little hope,” he said, when asked about the prospects of a second season. “Anything’s possible. I’m not a guy who just sits around and waits to hear. You’re sitting in a room with a bunch of writers all year, and we’ve been laying the groundwork for Season 2.”

The first half of Stalker‘s freshman season laid the groundwork for Beth Davis’ face-to-face confrontation with Ray Matthews (Eion Bailey), the man who ruined her life years ago. After a weeks-long hiatus, the series returned on Monday to find Beth kidnapped by Ray, handcuffed in a remote cabin and once again fighting for her life. (The short version of how it all went down: Jack and Janice located Beth and got her to safety, leaving Ray to die in a cabin fire.)

Below, Williamson takes a deep dive into Beth’s multi-episode arc with Ray, how the lieutenant will cope with this latest trauma and the romance that could blossom before season’s end.

stalker-spring-premiereTVLINE | Had you been planning Beth’s confrontation with Ray from the very beginning?
It was always in the cards. We wanted our season-long story to be Beth-centric so that we could really get to know her and reveal the vulnerability inside of her and create a multi-dimensional character. The ghost of her past has come back to literally abduct her, and she’s not just fighting Ray, she’s fighting for her future. To see her fend for herself, we have to watch the armor crack a bit, and we see her stumble. And next season, we plan to [focus on] Jack.

TVLINE | What do you have in mind for his season-long arc?
He comes from New York, and clearly, he didn’t just leave New York, he got kicked out. [Laughs] …He left some unfinished business, and it comes back in a new way [in Season 2]. It allows us to open up the world and not tell just stalking cases. The thing about the TAU [Threat Assessment Unit] is, they handle threat management. They’re a threat team, so they handle any threat, not just stalking cases. They have their hand in everything, and that’s why in Season 2, we’ll be able to expand our universe. If we have a Season 2. [Laughs]

TVLINE | This episode had a lot of fighting choreography, and the last act took place mostly in the dark. Was it challenging from a technical perspective?
Oh, absolutely. We have an amazing crew that didn’t have a lot of prep time, because this was a storyline we were going to push until later in the season, and then we moved it up for our cliffhanger hiatus. We thought the best cliffhanger would be Beth [in Ray’s trunk], to give a must-see factor. So this was a big, huge ordeal, between the fire and the stunts. It was huge. Luckily, we have Maggie Q, who is quite a pro at this stuff.

TVLINE | Was it purely a scheduling issue, then, that made you wrap up this Beth vs. Ray storyline so early? I expected to see it tied up in the finale.
Here’s the other reason: It had to do with where I want to take these characters. I love to scare people and I love to tell the thriller stuff, but what I really wanted to do was take the characters on a full journey. [Beth’s] past came back to haunt her, and I wanted her to put it to bed, close the door on it and be able to look to a future. If we truly wanted to do that in one season, I needed more road to do that. [Episodes] 19 and 20 allow me to say, “What does that future look like for Beth?” She’s able to look to a future, and there’s Jack staring her in the face. We get to play on the emotional relationship they develop.

TVLINE | There was such a sense of relief at the end of this episode, with Ray now dead and gone. I’m curious, though, if this traumatic event will have psychological effects on Beth or the team.
Beth is now in a quandary: Who is she? Does she go back to her old identity now? Or does she stay Beth? Who did she used to be? She doesn’t even know who that is anymore. She’s lost, and we watch her try to figure it all out. She even questions if she’s going to stay at the TAU. She might need some time off. What does her future hold? She’s at a crossroads, and that fuels some of the Jack-and-Beth romance.

Stalker fans, what did you think of Beth’s face-off with Ray? Are you looking forward to a relationship between Jack and Beth? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Joy Davidson says:

I want season 2 and a Jack and Beth relationship STAT!

2. carol shell says:

Great episode and it was worth waiting for. Fire that killed Ray will be hard on Beth, Showed kiss with Jack preview and counting on that. Plus Ben is alive.

3. Lisa says:

Season 2 please

4. Et al says:

Williamson hopes the show is renewed so that he’ll have a chance to quit it.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Chances for Season 2 in my opinion – 51%. As Colin Quinn would say on Weekend Update: That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

6. Shirley DeVane says:

Excellent. Waiting for Season 2. Hope ut doesn’t get tied up with a love story. You really need that tension.

7. Nancy Rostock says:

Stalker is do much better than cyber c i s. Please continue this show.

8. Cheryl says:

Season 2 please! One of the best shows on TV. A romance between Beth and Jack would be awesome!

9. Brandi says:

OMG!!! Great seeing the show back on missed it was so intense was at the edge of my seat!!!
    Please don’t let this show go away I miss it !! CSI cyber not even as good as stalker every week … Stalker great show very intense every week I love it!!

10. Kim says:

Season 2 please!!!

11. Steven says:

The only thing keeping me watching was Beth’s story with Ray. Now that this has wrapped I think I’m done. I can’t stand Jack’s character and he has zero romantic chemistry with Maggie Q, which is odd since they’re dating in real life.

12. DavidSask says:

An honest TV viewer has to admit that Stalker is far superior to CSI Cyber!!!! Let it have a return, even if not fall series: mid season, shortened season, summer series etc..

13. AL says:

it was a very intense episode! worth the wait… been waiting for it to return! so glad they are back, I want relationship story between Jack and Beth but please not to over the top.. hopefully it won’t be a kind of chiq flick.. some actions :D

14. Shara says:

I missed STALKER. It was off the air too long! I watched the 1st 2 episodes of CSI Cyber–whatever. I like Patricia Arquette but I MUCH prefer STALKER. I REALLY hope STALKER doesn’t get cancelled! I like the whole cast and want season 2!

• Jolty says:

I gave CSI Cyber a shot too, when I realised Stalker was going off air for a bit. The beginning of Cyber was bland… but it picks up at like the 4th episode, I still admit however that Patricia Arquette fails to impress me with that role lol. You’d think Cyber wouldn’t be as limited as Stalker, but Stalker has more depth in writing, and character development.

15. Philip says:

Is Ray really dead? They left him alive in the house, and never heard them say later that they found his body.

• Kristina says:

They said there was another body in the house, but I’m skeptical anytime we don’t actually SEE the body.

• CB says:

I agree. I’m not convinced Ray is dead. Wasn’t the body of the man Ray killed still in the house as well? If so, that could be the body they were referring to after the fire. They potentially had the house surrounded to avoid any “Ray escape” but the guy is sneaky. He could withstand any obstacle and ‘disappear’ into those woods.

• Amy says:

No, there wasn’t the body of the man that was renting the cabin. The cabin that was set on fire was different from the cabin where Ray took Beth and killed the man.

• Raystarr says:

How Yeah!! please be a 2nd season of stalker. I’ve noticed too that some of the best tv prgrms get cut off & prgrms like csi cream it on T.v witch bore me. Season 2 Stalker Please…

16. Sarah says:

Hope there’s season 2 and that awful CSI show goes away

17. Imzadi says:

As much as Jack cares about Beth, you would think he would at least care that the mother of his son was all right. I started watching this show because of Elisabeth Rohm (I’ve been a fan of hers since Angel), and I was disappointed that she didn’t show up, however briefly. I know the FBI agent said there was a body in the cabin, but I know the owner’s body was in there. I was thinking Ray might have escaped.

18. Larry Lief says:

My wife and I are very fussy and selective about the series to which we are committed. We are hooked on Stalker. It’s definitely up there with Blacklist. We can’t miss either show. Please don’t cancel Stalker!!!!

19. lisa says:

PLEASE….PRETTY PLEASE…. have a season two

20. Cheryl Peterson says:

I love the show! Please bring back for season 2.

21. Margie says:

My husband and I were so thrilled to watch Stalker again last night. After it was over, we looked at each other and said, “how can CBS even think about cancelling this show?” It’s so good! To the powers that may…please bring Stalker back for a second season, please!

22. Salome says:

Im sooooo happy because Stalker season 2, Thanks to all the people that like me , wrote and voted for this show not to be cancelled, this show should be like Criminal Minds, a clasic that we can enjoy forever

23. James D says:

Really hope it get renewed. It’s a very well done show and is so much better in all regards than the following IMO. My fingers are firmly crossed.

24. Pat Goldberg says:

I am looking forward to whatever this show brings us. I love the characters and the storylines. This show has a storyline that I have not seen before. Really hoping it comes back. Would love to see romance between Jack and Beth. Just do a season 2 please.

25. Chris Pizzo says:

Great ending to a cliffhanger. There has to be a season two. This show is awesome. I’ve seen lamer shows survive, (Glee had six seasons). I don’t think Stalker is getting a fair chance. It took a two month break, came back last night and won’t be on for another two weeks. How can the network expect great ratings like that? Give it another chance.

• Joy Davidson says:

Totally agree! I think CBS has treated this show shabbily. How do they expect to have great ratings when they put it on a Monday night and then they are taking it away again for 2 weeks?! CBS, if you are trying to deliberately let this show die then you are doing a darn good job of that! Shame on you!

26. Nan says:

I love this show…please renew! Season 2….

27. ted guy says:

love the show keep it coming

28. Kendall says:

I Love this show sooo much, last night was great I want season 2 please cbs don’t cancel stalker

29. Carl says:

I want to see more of the show, it could be very well transformed into a good detective show

Thank you for ending the first season

30. carol shell says:

i want season 2. This program offers a lot and needs the chance to show it, BEST SERIES I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG WHIKE,

31. Nadia says:

Dont the networks executives notice that Stalker has many fans and all are wanting for a S2??? Each blog I been fans like Stalker and want it back for a S2. That should tell something ot the network

32. Helen says:

What a great episode last night. Great to see Maggie Q does what she does best…kick butt!!! I hope there will be a season 2!!!!!!

33. Salome says:

I’m more than sure that Ray is still alive, PLEASE ALL WE WANT SEASON 2 !!!
    Even my kids see Stalker with me!!!!
    CBS this show is one of a kind, please consider really serious to keep it and make more Seasons!!!!!!

34. Jeannie says:

Love this show and Dylan!

35. nanci a steeb says:

When is this on now?? Annoyed I missed this!!

36. William says:

The main protagonist is written as an idiot. She had her captor overpowered at least 3 times and each time instead of finishing the job, she let him recover to prolong the senseless plot. Substandard writing.

37. matty says:

I’m really hoping for a season 2.

38. Charissa29 says:

This show is so sexist, I only watch for Nikita. If they get a season two and it becomes the Jack show, even Nikita won’t be enough.

39. Mary says:

They seriously CANNOT cancel this! Such a great show!!!

40. JanYankees says:

It was good to see Stalker last night! This is a great show and deserves a 2nd season. It is so much better than CSI: Cyber. Please please give us season 2!!

41. Patty Srour says:

I, too, want a season two! This is well written & well acted entertainment. Too good to lose! And, I would like to see romance blossom between Beth & Jack.

42. Ruth says:

Please renew! I hate when they take shows off for a week at a time. It’s not fair to the show!

43. Amy M Kalish says:

I am waiting cautiously also. This show ranks as one of my favorites. Beth and Jack need to get together and they really need to bring everyone back for a season 2

44. laura says:

Can’t wait for beth and jack!! Should b hot!! Just wish I knew for sure ray was dead!!!! Little unsure!!! Great episode…watched it two times..love the show…want it to stay on!

45. SLP says:

We need season 2. Please don’t cancel this show. All the good ones get cancelled.

46. Kelly R says:

Bring back for Season 2 ASAP!!!!!!

47. Tammy says:

I absolutely loved the end of season 1. It was quite an edge of the seat thriller. And, I sure hope for more episodes.

48. Erika says:

Stalker was very exciting. I really hope the outcome is true that Ray is dead. I so want to see a second season because every time there is a strong female character, the show gets cancelled. Beth was strong but also bulb able. She is well rounded. I want to see more.

49. MzDiana says:

I really hope that Stalker comes back. I really love this show! Jack and Beth romance would be nice especially since they’re dating in real life.

50. MzDiana says:

Please Season 2! This is one Great show!