NCIS: Emily Wickersham Previews a Sad Loss, Gibbs' 'Secret Relationship'

NCIS Finale Death SpoilersEmily Wickersham opens our interview with a playful, clandestine whisper: “Jake and Gibbs are having a secret relationship.”

Jake (played by guest star Jamie Bamber), of course, is the husband of Wickersham’s NCIS character, probationary Special Agent Ellie Bishop. Gibbs, her boss. And Wickersham is teasing the “light runner,” as they say, in this Tuesday’s episode (CBS, 8/7c), which launches a three-part season-ending salvo.

Regarding the aforementioned bromance of sorts, which comes to light this week, the actress says, “I don’t know if Ellie knows the extent of it, but the team is very surprised, because it’s an unlikely duo.” And while mum on the exact nature of the connection, she dismisses our suggestion that they’re meeting up for mini-golf and brewskis. “I think they’re talking about more important things that no one is allowed to know about,” she teases. “It’s all very interesting….”

That mini-mystery, fascinating DiNozzo and the others as it does, is perhaps a rare bit of lightness amidst Season 12’s intense final three hours. Here, Wickersham previews the high-stakes case the NCIS team is about to tackle, the casualty it will claim, and more.

TVLINE | This week’s episode, “Troll,” kicks off a big season-ending storyline….
Yeah. Ned Dorneget — played by the wonderful Matt Jones, who I worked with for the first time — is assisting the team when an ensign who worked in Naval Intelligence is murdered. We find out that the murder is connected to an international terrorist group that is recruiting children through the Internet. So basically, through the last three episodes, we’re trying to figure out what the hell is going on.NCIS Finale Death Spoilers

TVLINE | Is there ultimately some sort of terrorist event NCIS is scrambling to thwart?
Oh yeah, a big event that I obviously can’t talk about. But these episodes bring up important things about the Internet and how accessible it is to everyone, children in particular. The Internet is a wonderful place but it has the potential to be a very scary place as well. You don’t know who your kids are talking to….

TVLINE | No, one of my 12-year-olds has an Instagram account with 17,000 followers, so I make sure to keep an eye on things.
It’s crazy, yeah. I just feel like you never know who’s behind the accounts or whatever. It’s scary. It’s scary.

TVLINE | What can you reveal about the “significant loss” that [showrunner] Gary Glasberg told me about?
Ohh, I know…. The significant loss is someone who everyone loves, I think, and it will be a very sad, shocking thing — but, at the same time, it becomes a motivator for the team, to kind of figure things out….

TVLINE | Is the loss abrupt or is it like, “No, no! Don’t do that, don’t open that door! You might die”?
No, it’s pretty abrupt. I haven’t seen it yet, but it’s pretty abrupt.

TVLINE | On the plus side, you have Mimi Rogers guest-starring in the final two episodes (titled “The Lost Boys” and “Neverland”).
Mimi Rogers is frickin’ awesome. She plays a very strong character, a CIA officer, and she has been wonderful to work with. She’s super-cool.

TVLINE A couple of weeks ago, they sent Bishop to Afghanistan. Did you enjoy seeing her pushed her beyond her comfort zone?
Yes! I think Bishop felt very nervous about it, like she was outside of her comfort zone — especially given her background and training. She’s been out in the field, but this was big, big, big for her.NCIS Finale Death Spoilers Learning about Taj [a translator friend of hers who died years ago], and having her first kill, was a huge thing. That actually leads into this next episode, because it becomes a bit of a thing with her and Jake. Their relationship is not “on the rocks,” but she doesn’t talk about the kill right away, so it becomes a bit of a thing.

TVLINE | Is there anything else on your “wish list” for the character? Maybe fire an automatic weapon?
Weapons scare me in general; I’m just getting used to the one we’re using! But next season, I really want to meet her family. I have my own thoughts about where Bishop came from, so…. on the less action-y side, that’s something I’d be excited about.

TVLINE | Lastly, tease the season finale for us.
Oh, gosh…. Well, we’re still investigating this terrorist group that’s recruiting children, and at that point we know who dies, and it’s a big loss for the team. There are great action pieces, Mimi Rogers is in it….

TVLINE | Is there a cliffhanger per se?
I mean, the very last scene…. [Pauses, catches herself] Actually, I don’t want to divulge too much. It’s just an emotional episode for the team. The loss is a very motivating thing, and we’ll see what the team does with that.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Kim R says:

Well, that’s not stressful! Someone dies??!!

• Q says:

Someone die?
      How “surprising” for serie end, and crappy cliffhanger. ;-)
      Probably some woman from Gibbs circle.
      Because everytime, when creators don’t know, how to move in story, some “Gibbs” woman get kill.
      And, that’s boring, in fact it’s start to be boring long time ago.
      If not this, then Tony’s father.
      Boring as well….
      This “heartbreaking deaths” is not funny or interesting anymore.
      Just silly, annoying, awkward, senseless… pressure at our feelings.
      Like totally unnecessary Diane’s death, looks like Kate’s death.
      GG, good luck with another end of serie monstrosity and stupidity.

2. liame says:

I’m really surprised how this man show has stuck around for so long. Of course I jest. ;/

3. bj says:

Well she’s talking about next year so it can’t be her. I hope it’s not Ducky! Maybe it’s Tony’s father.

• John NYC says:

“someone who everyone loves” narrows the list considerably. Everyone? That is a bit scary, Ducky? Or? Some recurring characters are loved, Borin comes to mind as very well liked but evenso…

4. Nabil says:

Does anyone else think it must be Ziva? Criminal Minds did kill off Gideon several years after Mandy Patinkin left the show.

• Violet says:

Mandy Patinkin actually walked off. Core didn’t walk off, she negotiators her contact on the CBS schedule.

• DeeDee says:

I think Ziva is a good guess. She is off screen, we still love her and we will want his death investigated and avenged. Would be a great cliff-hanger!

• Ange says:

And they did sort of hint around something to this nature in that the Russian was Ari’s half-brother. It would not surprise me. The other person I thought was Fornell or Ducky.

• John NYC says:

Ziva is old news so I don’t think her offscreen death would have as much impact as an onscreen character. As logical as her downward spiral would appear to make her ultimately being killed seem to be.

5. Stephanie says:

Michael Weatherly was awfully curious on Twitter last night on what Grey’s fans thought of McDreamy’s demise. It almost felt like foreshadowing. The question is, would NCIS really go there? I hope not.

6. Maria says:

My top 3 guesses (and I really do not want anyone on this show to die…) are Ducky, Abby, McGee.

7. Tex Mike says:

I’m thinking the death may be Dorneget. For real shock it could be Fornell. His character has been on a downward spiral since Diane was killed. As long as it’s not Abby Borin, I’ll be OK.

8. Guest says:

I feel like it’s going to be Ducky but I really really hope it isn’t

9. Vivi says:

Well, there is the next entry on the May Sweeps Scorecard, I presume. I could imagine Palmer, as he is loved all-around and that would be a tragic loss.

10. Josh says:

i think it might be tony, he said in a previous interview that he is signed on til season 13 but didn’t specify on if that meant he would be in season 13 or his contract actually expired before season 13 starts, i really hope they don’t kill him off because he is my favorite character and is one of the only reasons i still watch the show

• Well, look at what happened to Patrick Dempsey, he has a 2 year contract with Grey’s Anatomy and had one more year on it, but they killed his character off last week.

• Yes, but there have been set photos released showing Tony alive with a black band across his badge. It’s possible it’s a fakeout – someone else has died AND they’re going to bump him off as well, but it doesn’t seem probable. The black band on the badge does seem to suggest that it is someone who is or was in law enforcement.

• lisamkeene87 says:

IT’S GIBBS! NOT WATCHING ANYMORE………. IDIOTS!!

11. Jeanne says:

It’s going to be Dorneget.

12. Jeanne says:

or Tony’s father

13. Justafan says:

I’m guessing Borin, ziva or Dornie.
    I really hope it’s not Dorneget. Borin is a possibility after the actress’ adventures on Twitter a month or so ago.
    Ziva is a long shot, but still a possibility.

• Violet says:

The actress was treated like crap and spoke up. But it’s not her.

• Justafan says:

Doesn’t matter what you or I believe. She handled it wrong. She could have gone through her agency or contacted the big boss in Valencia.
        Taking it to social media was at the least, not very smart. At most, extremely unprofessional.

• Andrea says:

In reference to Diane Neal, what are you referring to? Even just the broad strokes would be great. What happened?

• She felt she was be mistreated and, instead of taking it up with her rep or the executive producer, made potentially libelous comments on Twitter about it and the show, using very poorly-veiled references to which show she was talking about. She was called on it by someone connected with the show and then deleted all her tweets, told everyone to to forget about them and then went on to say how much she loved working on NOLA and loved the people there.

• Andrea says:

Thanks for the information, TechnoMistress. I hadn’t heard anything about that. I’m guessing that it’s going to be Dorrnegaut. I like Borin very much, so I hope Diane Neal is able to mend professional fences if it’s needed.

• Borin has been appearing a lot in NCIS New Orleans. I think if they’d kill her, they’d do it there. Also, I’d think it’ll be a main character.

• arial2 says:

I didn’t know about Diane Neal’s actions. I know Pauley loves having her on the show, or so she’s said. I love Borin and Gibbs having such similar personalities. It’s good for laughs in an otherwise pretty serious (except for Tony’s physical comedy) show. I really hoped she would be around more often and for a very long time. I’d be so sad if she were the one to die.

14. It could be Delilah… that would shock everyone. She works with computers it would make sense if she was involved in trying to catch the criminal and died in the process.

• Erin says:

I hope it’s not Delilah. There’s been way too much McGee drama this season. I think the most likely death will be Dorneget since NCIS habitually kills off recurring characters to garner large viewer numbers for their arcs. Tony is the only cast member I could see being killed off. His character has quite obviously been diminished, marginalized, and pretty much replaced in importance by McGee this season. Don’t know if tptb just aren’t interested in Weatherly and his character anymore and his recent tweets seem like they may be foreshadowing. I’ve been pretty disappointed and frankly bored that Gibbs and McGee have gotten all the drama and exciting stories this season. If Tony goes I’m absolutely gone. He’s the main reason I watch and even though I’m fond of Ducky and Abby as well, he’s the deal breaker for me.

• Same here, if Tony goes so do I as he is the only reason I watch the show anymore, definitely my favorite ncis character and that includes Los Angeles

• Outis says:

It’s not going to be Tony. There’s literally no show without him. The show would be under a 2.0 share within a season without him. Besides Harmon, he’s the only other character that is absolutely required. Only way is if Weatherly requested off the show but the fallout would be the same. Ziva’s gone. McGee is nothing more than background and Abbie can’t get enough screen time because of her role. And nobody cares about the new girl. In going to guess Ducky because of age or Fornell, but that seems very cruel considering although he looked awful the last time we saw him. Frankly, the show kills off way too many people. Just write them off or send one to prison. Do something new.

15. Violet says:

What a shock, Bishop is frowning, and the coin slot on her forehead is back.

• arial2 says:

It’s not Emily Wickersham’s fault Cote de Pablo left. She wanted out, even after the show runners offered her lots of money. She even said she wanted to do other things, had played the role for a long time! Stop hating the replacement just because she’s the replacement. They went a totally different direction with Ellie’s personality because they knew no one wanted a Ziva copy. But nothing she’d ever do would be good enough for the fanatics who didn’t want to hear what Cote said. Given her popularity while she was still on the show, I’m sure the show runners would find a way to bring Cote de Pablo back the day she says she wants back in. *shakes head*

• jinx2014 says:

I thought I was the only one who noticed the coin slot on her forehead. It is very distracting for me. I hope it is her that they kill off. She really doesn’t add anything to the show.

16. arial2 says:

Sadly, I think the show runners will set a bad precedent and listen to the vociferous whiners who miss Cote de Pablo (who left of her own accord after being offered lots of money) instead of those who are fine with Emily Wickersham. I really think Gibbs and Ellie’s husband as friends is a set-up for killing her off. I’d like to be wrong and find out they just wanted to maximize use of the very-popular Jamie Bamber. But I’d be very upset if it’s Ducky. If David McCallum left, I’m sure it would be because he wanted to retire and not because the show runners just wanted to make a big splash. I imagine he, Mark Harmon and Pauley Perrette are the most popular stars of the show. And maybe Michael Weatherly. I don’t want any of them to die; retirement would be okay, but, apparently, that’s not in the cards for the one who’s leaving.

• TV Gord says:

Really, I watch the show for Abby and Ducky, but if it’s David McCallum’s choice to retire from the role, I’m okay with that. He’s been such a breath of fresh air for many years, and it’s been good to see “Ilya” for all of these years! :-)

17. sladewilson says:

I’m betting it’s either Dorny or a recurring character that no one would suspect. I highly doubt it would be one of the main cast.

18. lynneric says:

Maybe Furnell, since he is so upset about his wife being killed. Hope it is none of the regulars, other than Wickersham….would not miss her at all. Please do not let it be Ducky or Jimmy. I know the rest are good guys and loyal to their fans and will not leave. (Not that Ducky or Jimmy would either but cannot imagine anyone else going.)

19. Tracy Travis says:

I don’t think it will be anyone on the team. I’m thinking maybe Ziva or Stan Burley. Ducky and Palmer rarely find themselves in danger. In the interview, she states it someone they all love, so still not sure…

20. janedoe2007 says:

It could be Dorneget, or they could be killing off Ziva off screen just like Criminal Minds did with Gideon. But for some reason (mainly Michael Weatherly’s tweets) I feel it might be Tony. He’s my favorite character, and I’d be sad to see him leave, but the show needs a shake up and this could be it. Although Tony leaving should be through a long dramatic event, not as an “abrupt loss”!
    That being said, I think Ziva is the most likely character to be killed off. We’ll see.

• There have been set photos released showing Tony alive with a black band across his badge – while it could be a fakeout, it’s improbable that he’s the one being killed. The black band, though, does suggest it’s someone who is or was in law enforcement.

• janedoe2007 says:

Thanks for the heads up, that’s comforting if the photos are genuine, do you have a link?

• janedoe2007 says:

Found the pics. Thanks again. I think this makes Dorneget a more likely target .. bring him back just to kill him off, that would be anti-climactic! Let’s hope it turns out better than it sounds.
        Either way, can’t wait for the finale!

21. Cm says:

It’s going to be the FBI agent Joe Spano plays. He’s going to another show. His wife already died and now he can join her. He has an older child that was introduced this season that is close to Gibbs. He dies and Gibbs helps take care of daughter. My guess.

22. David McCallum, “Ducky”, was born in 1933…He will be 82 in September…I love his acting…maybe he is the one….

• Doug Henning says:

McCallum lives in NY and spends his off-time there. He doesn’t have a tough job.. No reason to quit.. And certainly not kill him off.. Won’t be Borin since that character is on New Orleans as well.. Might be Fornell since the wife was killed off and that was the main connection to Gibbs..

23. Judith Dunston says:

How about Fornell’s daughter being involved in the recruitment of teens as a way of getting revenge for her mother’s death. She gets caught and is killed?

24. Jennifer says:

My guess is Dorneget. 2nd would be Fornell, with Gibbs stepping in to adopt his daughter. Pave the way for the end of the show with Gibbs retiring. That would be sad, since I love this show.

If they kill Tony – or his dad – I don’t know what I’d do …

• Cm says:

The Fornell guess with daughter is what I said right above you. Like minds..:). It makes sense since Gibbs lost his kid

• Jennifer says:

Great minds! I didn’t see your post until I wrote mine … would have just agreed. But to me, makes sense, even though it would bother me. I happen to like Fornell and his & Gibbs’ relationship.

• CM says:

I do too. They play off each other well. Just the only character I cold think of that is important but not a main player. I don’t read half the comments so its great you wrote yours. I like that to see when people are on the same page. Makes me think I’m not as ignorant about these shows..ha

• John NYC says:

“Dorneget”: but “everyone loves”? Unless she’s referring to the actor’s on set relationships he would seem to not qualify.

25. Ethel says:

Better not be Ducky or Jimmy

26. Mel says:

Killing off yet another character isn’t “shocking”, it’s just lazy writing. What would really shock me is if Gary Glasburg actually wrote a finale that was layered, twisty, thought-provoking and engaging. Now *that* would be a surprise I’d tune in to see!

27. Mick says:

Um i think it might be gibbs… mark has spoken about being more behind the camera than in front

28. zagsfan says:

It’s probably Dorneget

29. P.S.L. says:

I think it’s going to be Ziva. Imdb has a description of the Season Finale and says that supposedly a ‘bombing overseas results in a surprising and emotional loss for the team.’ Who else is overseas that’s significant?

30. kay says:

I do not like Emily at all on NCIS. She doesn’t fit in with the rest of the cast

• John NYC says:

At least the character is an American formerly a part of an American intelligence agency with intelligence experience: so there’s a functional “fit”.

Plus with a team as diverse in skills as running from Abby through Ducky and McGee and Tony all the way to Gibbs the character seems to fit just fine, the name on the door is Naval Criminal INVESTIGATVE Service after all and she’s an experienced analyst that can assist in “investigating”..

• Violet says:

Bishop doesn’t contribute her Intel skills to the team. Now that Gibbs is beasties with Jake, Gibbs just bypasses Bishop to get his Intel.
        At least Ziva was a real agent.

• But an agent for whom? There were several instances where it was shown that her loyalty was not to NCIS and the US, but to Mossad and Israel first and foremost. And, while she may have been an agent, she certainly wasn’t a team player, which Bishop is.

31. jj says:

“Ohh, I know…. The significant loss is someone who everyone loves, I think, and it will be a very sad, shocking thing — but, at the same time, it becomes a motivator for the team, to kind of figure things out….”

Darn it. I guess it is to her that dies then.

• Dean says:

strange, for two years you constantly spewed ‘the fans hate Bishop bring back Ziva’ so now youre saying people love her? Way to jump on the band wagon.

32. Nancy J says:

I think that it’s going to be Gibbs who gets killed. It sounds as though all of the other main characters have signed their contracts for next season, except Mark Harmon. I also read that Harmon is very happy how the season ends. Mark my words…..it’s going to be Gibbs, himself, who dies.

• Daisy says:

i Hope not maybe he’s holding off announcing it so he doesn’t not give away the ending or he fakes his death for a surprising next season premiere?

33. Emily sound’s like a sweet girl but Bishop IMO still does not fit. No matter how many times they reinvent Bishop it is not believable.

34. Bishop still does not fit. She is a Square peg in a round hole.

35. Marie Hixon says:

Bishop still is not a good fit after all this time! Tired of her.

• John NYC says:

Curious. “Fit” seems to be the whine de jour.

Is there are mailing list to get updates?

• Peggy White says:

I’m considering sending cheese to go with all the “whine” that keeps flowing. I see that originality is dead with the same comments all the time. I guess, “fit”, is now the word d’jour.

36. Eleanor Shea says:

Bishop does not make me want to stop what I am doing to watch. She still does not fit the team.

37. Eleanor Shea says:

Tired of the showrunners pushing her..she is not working with the team.

38. While EW is a cute girl …Bishop just does not fit at all. It was a poorly designed character…would have been better with Ned coming in there instead of this late in the show.

39. IMO Bishop still does not fit this team or show.

40. auntiemm says:

After tonight’s episode my money is on McGee. Only one not shown in the bullpen in the preview post event.

• Jennifer says:

But he was shown on the bus, investigating. Maybe the death happens next week, and this was the set-up? The previews show a casket being unloaded.

My first thought was Fornell, but he wasn’t on. I’m going with Dorneget. He’s helping with the investigation.

41. Phyllis Wilson says:

I see ratings are down. It seems there is no one with a relationship to care about. They need to quit killing off characters and just have them fade out, and add new sexy romance.

42. Karen says:

Well if it is going to show that Gibbs is now gay

43. bonnie somer says:

i hope it is not ducky or dinozzo; dorny was super last night. bishop has to chill a bit she is wound too tight her husband did the right thing i don’t know what will happen but the show never ceases to amaze me one of my favs w/person of interest

44. Ur Cptn says:

Both NCIS & NCIS LA, have been involved with Cyber Crime.
    New NCIS spinoff? With the now very large Mr D, – see last NCIS episode – heading the team?
    Done right would reduce CSI CYBER, to an also ran.
    Any thoughts?

45. Chucky says:

Has anyone thought about Delilah? She is well liked by the whole team, she is semi-regular and female. I think the team would take her death personally.

46. snappy says:

Emily is a sweet gal. I am just not liking her character or her husband’s character (liking it much less). Their storyline is lame that makes their characters weak.

47. ian says:

I love Emily and her character Bishop. I am tired of the Ziva Ziva Ziva chats. I liked Ziva and Cote is great but she left the show. I would guess when the time comes for the show to end which might be next year or the next, Cote might make a cameo appearance to say goodbye. As to the death it seems to point to Agent Dorneget. McGee is seen walking off the plane with the American flag draped coffin in the promo. Fan favorite doesn’t mean that every single fan has to like his character just means that some do. I like Dorneget but I could handle his death. The promo kinda reveals who it is unless there is another death in the finale.

48. Robbie says:

Wouldn’t you say that ncis has played the death game enough. To me it reeks of lazy writing. Hey we need a new storyline….let’s kill someone. Death is part of life but don’t network dweebs get that people watch shows because they like characters and want to see them? And if you kill a recurring character like Franks or Eli David (Or Fornell or Dorneget if they go that route) you have closed off using them for a future story line in case you actually have a creative moment.

• John NYC says:

And for some one such as Ducky, were the actor wishing to leave, it’s much of a disservice compared to a, perhaps less “dramatic” simple “happily ever after” retirement. Imho.

49. shawna libby says:

Its about time they get wickersham she never for with the rest she should had been like Delilah seen but not heard and bought on the ex Lt from battlestarglatica and amassing detective from England’s versions of law and order Jamie bamber