Castle Recap: Sneaks on a Plane

Castle Recap Season 7 Episode 21

First, some disclosure: I love pretty much any thriller set on a plane. Passenger 57, Flightplan, Airport, Executive Decision, Air Force OneDie Hard 2, by extension.

So for that reason, but also others, I kinda loved this hour of Castle, and felt it was easily the best episode since 3XK’s return.

For one, the episode did right by Rick, putting him in command of this investigation into an air marshal’s mid-flight murder. He was smart and a bit more serious than usual,with  no conspiracy theories to dampen the drama. He came off as a savvy writer of mysteries, but also a protective dad, frequently minding Alexis’ safety as a passenger on this unusual flight.

But the people around him also had their moments — like Alexis, working with Lanie via Skype to ID the cause of death and dig up the first big clue, or “taking down” the gun-waving killer at the end. Or cabin crew member Farrah, who had the idea on how to see which passengers were left-handed.

Working the case from the ground, Beckett supported Castle in more ways than one, at one pointing reassuring him that he knows how to interrogate someone (though maybe he should not have revealed his reticence to the suspect tied up within earshot). We also saw Kate fret throughout the ordeal, a huge sigh of relief leaving her body in the closing scene, when she had confirmation his flight had touched down in London safely. What was going through her mind in that moment? Because they made it seem specific….

The episode only lost points, in my opinion, for the killer reveal and, more specifically, her shaky motive. Cabin crew member Debbie (NCIS alum Paula Newsome) had lost her pension, so she decided to rob an auction house courier, then begrudgingly whacked the air marshal/bodyguard when he got wise to the heist. Really? That said, thinking (hoping?) they would not make the kindly “mother hen” crew member the killer, I’m glad that my top suspect — hey, let’s have Rick conspicuously make note of the sleeping guy! — turned out to not be the killer.

What did you think of the season’s antepenultimate episode, “In Plane Sight”?

1. There are 23 episodes of Castle this season and if we could cut away filler episodes like this one I would gladly conceded the episode number down to 13 if it meant fans could have Castle and Beckett solving crime together. I understand Castle and Alexis have a special father and daughter bond but I don’t tuen in for the Castle and Alexis show – I tune in to see a mystery writer solving crime with his muse and now wife.

Yet again there is a Castle season seven episode where Richard Castle and Kate Beckett are separated throughout the whole episode. This time there isn’t ANY interaction at all as the majority of the action takes place while Castle is flying to London and I was BORED with the Castle and Alexis show.

If anyone for one minute thinks Nathan Fillion can carry Castle without Stana Katic re-watch this drivəl.

• ndixit says:

It was a terrifically entertaining ep for me. And a little change in formula every once in a while is never a bad thing. Fillion carried the ep just fine.

• Fran says:

I agree, it was entertaining to me too.

• rowan77 says:

Agreed.

• Grey says:

I have to agree with ndixit on this one. Minus the few plot holes Matt mentions, this episode was solid – even a little above average. However, I wouldn’t have placed this story/episode this close to the end of the season/series. Whether this thing ends in a cliffhanger or tied up nicely with a bow (in case ABC cancels it), these last three episodes should be gradually building up to that finale and not taking us on a side trip – pun intended. ;-) But yeah, it was still a very good episode.

• rowan77 says:

This show is light drama. There is no need to build up to three episodes before the end, it they’re not doing a cliffhanger for the season ender.

@ndixit

It was entertaining for me as well and yes NF did carry the show just fine, I just don’t think that it will fly the whole season or half. Every once in a while is just fine though. I like the two of them having family time. It was a nice change in the show but it need some work.

• D. says:

I love Beckett but I think the show could work without her

• Disappointed says:

Not for me, just wouldn’t be “Castle”

@disappointed

so true it’s not “castle” with just one of them, that’s why I started watching the show in the first place. The two of them!

• Melia says:

To have episodes like tonight ? Please no.

• Cassie says:

Not for me. I’m tired of Beckett being pushed to the background.

• Jane says:

Me too, Cassie.

• TicaTica says:

Feel the same way. If there’s season 8 , I hope they bring Beckett back, the way it used to be. She’s the cop!!!!

• Mags says:

Beckett being pushed to the background? Kind of like Castle was for all the seasons while they focused on Beckett’s mom’s case? I for one am excited to see them actually give Castle stuff to do rather than be the quippy conspiracy theorist. Not trying to be rude. It just makes me laugh when people are upset about the show actually giving a little focus to Castle…when it’s called “Castle.”

• canzedoc says:

For the last 2 years people have complained the show had become to Beckett-centric. This season people complained Alexis had been MIA and how they missed her. Perfect is apparently in the eye of the beholder.

• K says:

Me too Cassie

• Caskett Crazy says:

I am sick of it too. Sorry folks, but Nathan can’t hold a candle to Stana in the acting department. The woman oozes emotion out of her pores. When it comes to Nathan, well, I’ve seen spider monkeys who emoted better.

Really…

@Caskett

Wow, so what you are saying is that SK alone could have hold the entire show together!
            That it was all her that they show lasted this long!
            I don’t deny that she’s a great actor and gives it her all. But I also think that NF does as well. I don’t think that either on of them could carry the show alone, I think that work best together!

@Cassie

I didn’t see it like that, I saw it as them working of his story-which they didn’t do all that well for me- not pushing someone to the background, now saying that I wished there was more interaction with the two of them since they are married.

@D

nope it was a great episode but I don’t want to watch that kind of show every week, I would get bored. I don’t think it would last. I am hoping for an 8 but it ends up with just him I will not be watching every week!

• diya says:

Agree with u completely . This is not content fit to be included in an episode during the may sweeps…no matter how much they try, an episode without the writer-detective duo working together will always come up lacking.
      P.S Just heard STANA KATIC got hitched, think it might be one of the reasons she’s dragging her feet to sign the contract for season 8….?

• Nan says:

I was puzzled by her wardrobe. Normally stylish, she spent time at work in a “big shirt” that one normally dons to clean house. Is she possibly expecting? She spent a lot of time sitting at her desk hidden from ribcage down.

• L. Cullom says:

I had the same thought. There also was the conveniently placed folder when she stood. If there is a season 8 with SK, maybe a Castle baby will have to be written in the script. :)

@Nan

I was wondering about that too…..her cloths just don’t seem how do I say this “Beckett” and maybe that’s why we haven’t seen so much “togetherness” with the two of them….ummm just think out loud on that one. Kinda makes you wonder. Also was wondering about her wedding…..

@l cullom

I’ll take that!

• grys03 says:

It’s interesting to see how everyone has their favorite characters & episodes. For me (& my wife) we thought that this ep was one of the best in along time. I have no issue with concentrating on one or more characters other than the Caskett ensembl. In fact some of the best episodes centered on Espo, Ryan, Lanie or Beckettt individually.

2. Badpenny says:

When I recognize only 1 guest actor in the episode I can always count in that one being the “badguy.”

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I didn’t get baited by that so much as the heart-to-heart she had with Alexis.I was like, “Noooo, this is too conspicuous, please let it not be setting us up for a fake-out.” Sigh.

• Matt says:

What did you mean by this What was going through her mind in that moment? Because they made it seem specific….

• DarkDefender says:

I really think they are going to have Beckett be pregnant or considering starting a family now (instead of moving forward in her career).. they certainly have dropped enough hints.. and the whole sigh of relief at the end.. seemed like her thinking life is too short and he disappeared and she might have lost him on that flight.. and I think it is leading to her having a “crossroads” moment in the season finale to focus on family.
          If Stana re-signs – I can see Beckett having fertility problems (makes for nice drama – without breaking them up).
          If she does not re-sign.. this was a pretty good indication they could go one more season without her and Castle and Alexis working as private investigators (to boost syndication). But it could probably only float one season (IMHO), unless they tap into some new formula that works without Caskett.

• Disappointed says:

Sorry, “Castle” is Castle and Beckett solving murders together, so no Beckett, no Castle for me.

• Cassie says:

Castle is Castle and Beckett. If they’re going to try one more season without Beckett, they’d better come up with a new pilot and change the name. I won’t tune in for sure.

@darkdefender

I saw that was the way they might go as well, the sigh says it all to me that she was thinking that once again she was terrified that she was going to lose him! To focus of family would be the different thing then what they tried with the DC arc which was kinda dull to me, maybe this way will be better.

• DarkDefender says:

I totally prefer Castle and Beckett solving murders with some witty, sexy banter along the way. Caskett, Always.
            I was simply commenting on my observations of the “family” hints they have been dropping with Beckett, SK re-signing (or not) and how it will affect the premise and the apparent “test drive” this episode provided for a Caskett-less version of the show.

• R says:

Matt Mitovich, if you are reading this and my comment actually went through, I have been having trouble posting responses all afternoon. It’s weird because I posted something this morning, but any subsequent tries have failed (from multiple devices). You got any answers for why this is happening?

• Erin says:

I’m with you there Matt – as soon as I heard her say “I’ve been doing this for 30 years” I went….. oh dear…… it was you.

• Luli says:

Who is she and why did she look so familiar??

• george says:

Didn’t work for William Atherton in Head Case back in season 4. But, as a rule, I do agree.

• John NYC says:

Ha: that’s my formula for Bones as well!

3. veronica says:

didn’t mind the episode, reminded me of a pg non-stop…
    EXCEPT—yes, planes aren’t that big, even in first class—people could totally hear all of the video chatting and speaker phone-ing! anyhoos—season 8 please.

4. Teri says:

I really enjoyed this realistic story with no far-fetched alternate universe. Alexis was so smart and cool under pressure and showed great maturity. Kudos to the lovely Molly Quinn for her performance. Great attention to detail throughout the episode which I respected. Good Tv and thst is why we need more seasons of Castle.

• Nan says:

OK, but where exactly did that flight attendant expect to fence that watch? Law abiding people don’t move in those circles.

• bj says:

I agree. I love that we had interaction between Castle and Alexis in this one. I’ve always loved their dynamic. And Molly is a fantastic actress. they should use her more.

I don’t understand why people are seeing this one as some kind of test episode just because Stana is still in negotiations. Talk about tunnel vision.

And that was a great review, Matt. Thanks.

5. leigh says:

This episode, while I am still hurt and mad about last week, was great. It was weird seeing Castle solve the mystery with Alexis but it was a good story and worked. At least no one went missing for two months…And the sigh of relief when the plane landed from Beckett made me think something was up, too. So did the big poofy shirt but that’s just me 😊

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Where Samuel L. Jackson when we need him? Or Wesley Snipes?

7. Luli says:

Matt, what exactly do you mean by specific? I must have missed something…

8. Diana Desio says:

Wow! Has Lost been off the air that long that no one mentioned they were flying Oceanic Air? :)

• sal says:

Yes! Basically what I was thinking.
      Not only was it Oceanic Air, but the episode started with a whole lot of turbulence..

• MariaLia says:

Thank you! That’s the first thing I noticed and checking the recaps to see if there was any mention of it.

• JeffDJ says:

I had heard about the Oceanic Air reference beforehand, so I was ready for it, but it would have been even better if the logo had been the same. I guess that might have had to do with copyright or some such.
          I also enjoyed seeing Alexis in an episode for more than 30 seconds. Molly Quinn was delightful.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I tweeted about it 11 seconds after they first showed the plane ;)

9. Austin says:

This was totally a Liam Neeson movie (one w/ julianne moore). LOL at least the lighting was good this ep ;-)

10. april-ann says:

Predictable from the beginning that it was one of the flight crew. Debbie or the male steward – Jim I think? It became clear early on it wasn’t Jim, so that left one, lol. Still fun, though kind of a bad story. And no kudos whatsoever to Alexis (and I do like Alexis) for “talking” down the murderer with just “Debbie, this is not who you are”. Yeah, right.

• DanJBalkwill says:

Debbie, Jim and the cute stewardess (missed her name) all passed out paperwork to find the left handed passengers. ALL THREE used their right hands (I was already suspiscious of them). One angry passenger used his left hand to grab it away.
      And… Wouldn’t the other flight crew KNOW Debbie is left handed?

• Cyndi says:

For some reason I got suspicious of Debbie when she offered to go down to the baggage area to look for something. Then Alexis offered to help and she seemed not thrilled about that.

11. James D says:

I’m with you Matt, there is something thoroughly entertaining about thrillers on a plane which is kind of sick if you think about it :) I liked a lot about this episode most of all was Castle getting the chance to be the leader. parts of it were far fetched but that is kind of the charm of this show isn’t it? seriously can I get Castle’s phone because holly cow that thing not only has a crazy strong single but it’s battery lasts forever.

12. lauri5567 says:

Reminded me of Cops and Robbers except that I like Alexis a lot more than Martha. Also, I enjoy anytime Rick shows more intelligence than a plucky sidekick.

13. DarkDefender says:

“Snakes on a mother-flying plane” <– Line of the week.

14. Lilly says:

So was that like the Bones episode from season 4 where Booth and Brennan areon their way to China but they find a body on the plane and have to solve the murder before it touches the ground?

• DarkDefender says:

Nah.. It was nothing like it. Castle is way funnier than Booth and nobody is as annoying as Bones. And besides Castle and Alexis were flying to England to go to 221B Baker Street.. So like. A Ka-jillion times cooler. (I was secretly hoping for a Cumberbatch sighting, myself)
      But mainly because all shows trade ideas (like comic books do) and well in television there are very true “original” stories.. So I get it.. Bones is in a steady decline and it seems like you still love that show.. So I’d say that was a good try making Bones relevant, but.. Nah. This was nothing like that.
      Seriously.. It was Snakes on a mother-flying plane!!! What’s more exciting than that??

• anon says:

do you feel better now after that condescending diatribe?? she asked a simple question. Bones did a murder mystery set in a plane & so has Castle, how silly of anyone to ask if they were similiar, esp if they havent watched the new Castle ep yet … Color me shocked a 10yr show that gets kicked about the schedule in an out of favor network is in decline, newsflash: last season to this season your 7yr Castle is in decline too, yes, I can ratings too.

• KCC says:

I did not read it as a simple question, the recap explained exactly what the episode was about. It was more of a not so subtle comment that Castle “ripped-off” a Bones story yet again. DarkDefender answered a snarky question with a snarky answer.

• DarkDefender says:

Anon, my apologies. I meant there are very “few” original stories, not “true”.
          The rest of my comment stands… AND I have the fictional TVLine points.
          #winning

• Lilly says:

I did not watch the Castle episode so yeah that was a simple question since I used to watch Castle and then I stopped but I do read what happens on the show every now and then, to see if I’m ever interested in going back to it. And reading this reminded me of the Bones ep which is one of my favourite episodes and one of the funniest episodes of Bones in my opinion. But sure, feel free to be rude to people because you’re overly protective of a TV show.

• DarkDefender says:

I wasn’t being rude. I was explaining how I thought this Castle episode was different and in my mind, way cooler than Bones. I gave you credit for loving your show, but when you seemed to be downplaying Castle as stealing from Bones.. I was defending my show.
          But, Lilly, the bigger point was that all TV shows steal ideas from each other. So to you it may have been like an old Bones episode, but to me it was a cooler version of the same premise.
          The place to not be offended for loving Bones over Castle is not on a comment page for a recap of a Castle episode. Love your shows and I will love mine. Peace, sister.

• Lilly says:

I did not ask which show is better, did I? I ask if the episode was “like” the one on Bones, so a proper answer would be something like “the plot was same (murder or a plane) but they were essentially different” That’s all I wanted.
            Besides, I do not know what’s cool about snakes on a plane?

• S. says:

Just asking that question has a tone, Lilly. It sounds less like a question and more like a statement. It also sounds like you’re the one who’s overly protective of a tv show. Bones has been on a long time. It doesn’t need snark on its behalf, and I don’t believe for a minute yours was a 100% innocent question. You were implying copycat. Even if we believe that the question was unintentional, given that it’s a sore spot between the two shows’ fandoms you ought to know better than to just drop that in there and act like you had no idea it could be taken that way. Whodunnits on public transportation have happened in a lot of shows and movies. I guess I could accuse Bones of copying Murder, She Wrote. The one with Kate Mulgrew. (Yes I watched it last year. It was on tv, it was my vacation, and I love me some Janeway).

• KCC says:

And did you see that episode of Bones where someone got murdered and they solved it and then Castle did a show about a murder and they solved it! Castle never does anything original. Really? Bones is the original murder mystery show!?!? Movies and TV shows have be having murders solved on trains, planes and ships for over a century now. Bones is not breaking new ground.

• John NYC says:

Shakespeare did it first. Though odds are he ripped off Euripides… writers have no shame like that.

:D

@KCC

has either show (castle or bones) done a murder on a boat? I mean out in the ocean?

• KCC says:

I know Castle hasn’t. I stopped watching Bones after the third season. My point was a murder on a mode of transportation with limited access has been done a lot. Boat, train or plane are all the same thing. Castle and Alexis could have been on an ocean liner or the Orient Express and the story would have been the exact same. Changing the mode of transportation would not have made it an original story.

• lkh says:

hmmmm, didn’t someone already do the Orient Express?

@lkh

not sure on that one, I know that Castle did on a train (almost) and now a plane, why not add a boat (where some of the characters on it) to that list…..

@kcc

I didn’t say it wouldn’t be the same ole same ole I was just asking if they ever did. It was just a thought. this esp was pretty good. I like it when they change it up every once in awhile.

• lkh says:

NF and SK fan–oops–just kiddin’ It’s a classic Agatha Christie Poirot mystery.

• DarkDefender says:

lkh: within this past season of Doctor Who, they had (supernatural) murder on The Orient Express. Although it was a space train in another galaxy. So, again, SUPER cool.

• lkh says:

Actually, are there really any new plots, story lines under the sun? This particular scenario is been around forever-well, at least since we’ve had planes :]. It’s the subtleties, nuance, characters and dialogue that differentiates the presentation of the story by any given show. I’m not understanding this competition with Bones. These plots aren’t new to Bones either.

15. Lena says:

Two terrible episodes on a row, nice. An episode without any Castle/Beckett scene two episodes before the end, seriously ?

16. Grace says:

castle and beckett restricted to phone calls. barely any beckett. way too much alexis. why is this episode 21 of a season? it should’ve been in a filler placement, not a sweeps placement.

boring as ****. i watch this show for castle and beckett solving crime together. this is like a totally different show.

17. sigh says:

Wow, again I wish there was a vitamin or something I could take to make me like it. I hated it. Random thoughts:

* I wish Castle could show the same amount of affection to Beckett that he shows Alexis.
    * Passengers would be way more upset with all that going on.
    * NF and SK literally didn’t film one single scene together in this episode.
    * Girlfriend at the end: “Thank you, Mr. Castle, for believing me.” **smiles** (Umm, your boyfriend was just murdered, like four hours ago…)
    * I never need to hear Beckett tell Castle, “You’ve got this….” Seriously, it’s too much lately.
    * What happened to Beckett’s character? :(
    * That initial scene below where the luggage is looked almost exactly like the set from Air Force One (which, of course, was written by AWM).
    * I will not watch Castle without SK, but I almost won’t watch it with her if they keep writing it like this.

Yeah. All of that.
      From a character and story standpoint, it’s difficult to justify Kate not being on the plane with them. All reasons for a new family, that has endured a lot of trauma over the last year, to travel across the world without someone from their unit, feels hollow.
      So, I can only assume the producers have some sort of Castle/Alexis quota that must be met every season to keep the respective actors happy.
      Not a fan of this episode. And not a fan of the promo for next week. The finale can’t come soon enough.

• Johnathan says:

How is it difficult to justify her not being with them on the plane? She has a job that she can’t just take a few days off to fly with Castle whenever he has speaking engagements and other author related stuff outside of the U.S.

• Just one thing says:

But college-aged Alexis, whose semester likely doesn’t end until June, can?
          The writers have the luxury of creating any reasons they want. They chose to have Beckett quit and run back to her job twice in a two-year period, without many realistic obstacles. Yet, once Castle was found, they chose to remove any opportunity for richer-than-God Castle to take them on a luxurious honeymoon because she was out of vacation hours.
          They’ve created an environment where Beckett apparently is unable or unwilling to take unpaid time off – which would be pretty realistic if perhaps Beckett and Castle didn’t also live in a world where their capers have international impact on a semi-regular basis.
          You’d think 1PP would have mercy on her, no? :-)

• Nan says:

Is it a Monlighting curse situation? The co-stars can barely tolerate each other?

• Just one thing says:

I truly don’t know, and I’m beyond the point of caring…
            … Mostly because it won’t affect the outcome. If Castle comes back for an eighth season with both leads, I don’t believe it matters if they bring in showrunners from a SHOWTIME series. Little will change in certain departments.
            And if they go on to an eighth season without one of the leads being there full-time, then that’s it for me.
            Whatever did or didn’t happen behind the scenes however long ago, it’s been slowly bleeding onscreen for a while now. In this case, knowing the precise root cause will have no effect on treating the hemorrhage.

• lauri5567 says:

All the colleges in Ohio are now required to start the end of August and finish the beginning of May, so that Alexis had the time didn’t register with me.

• Just one thing says:

I’m not from New York, or anywhere near the East Coast, and yet I’m well aware how their academic years run. Most are not done until early/mid-June, late-May at the earliest.

• Jess says:

My university in NJ was always done by mid-may. Only high school and younger usually goes until mid-June. Alexis should probably be worrying about finals right now…but still, when I was in college I did have a lot of free time, only taking classes 2 days a week. More time than I do now with a real job lol.

• Just one thing says:

LOL Jess, yeah, I agree with you on the less time front our of college. Fair enough!

• lkh says:

The college/university academic year varies from place to place even within a particular state. It dependent on a lot of things, including whether the university is on the quarter or semester system, 9 month v 12 month faculty, financing, coordination with other schools, winter break, spring break, etc. Can’t really apply one campus to another–it varies. If she finished her semester/quarter, she might have been enrolled in summer school, which can be 10 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks, whatever, kids. Does it matter?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

@lkh

“Does it matter?” sums it up perfectly.

• DarkDefender says:

JOT, I have to say, they established in 7×02 that Beckett burned up all her vacation time looking for Castle after he disappeared and I would think it is highly plausible that she’d rather save more days for that “island getaway honeymoon” than say accompanying Castle to watch him give the same speech, over a weekend to some Sherlokian fans. I am also thinking it was plausible for Alexis to go because no one wants Castle to travel alone, at least for a while. Alexis also went to Montreal with him bc Beckett had to work.
            P.S. Most public servants can’t take unpaid time off for a non medical reason and not lose their jobs.
            But then you know as well as I, that this is TV and not real life. :)

• DarkDefender says:

And to Jess.. Wasn’t it just last week Beckett was helping Alexis with exams.. Sounds like her semester and finals are over.. And TV time.. Not always the same as real time.

• John NYC says:

She’d commented she’d burned off all her available time off when she went looking for him: so per the NYPD schedule she’s stuck…

• lkh says:

Agree Sigh
      *and it was pretty clear who the murderer was given the discussion about working so long as an attendant early in the story
      *and at the end, once again, they spent a lot of time ‘telling’, ‘lecturing’ on what had happened-did some folks call this lazy writing-not able to work the convoluted story into the scenes, such that the solution and the whys just needed to be delivered by the players
      *when I’m on a plane I hear and see most everything folks are doing–moving their texts and other stuff/conversation to somewhere else would have been better
      *at least he didn’t cry or whine–too much

I’m not sure exactly where I am–ya know when you’ve watched a show forever, never wanted to miss it and then you just get tired of it and stop (Kinda where I am with Good Wife)–I might be there with Castle, and I’m not sure if it’s me or them. Why did they ask him to lead this, why is that kid looking at bodies, and all the questions stated above. Is it the writing? and if it was better or improves would I stick it out? have they destroyed the characters with ‘all this growth’ nonsense? and pondering on her life? she is certainly flat and uncharacteristically not involved. I certainly will never watch this show without Beckett–if they want a spin off that’s what they should do and not try to continue this ‘whatever’.

Isn’t it already Castle without Beckett–or at least very little Beckett?

That’s is two in a row (perhaps more)-not so great. ya know how it goes: uno, dos, adios

• KCC says:

I don’t understand the issue with being told what happened as far as the murder goes. That it’s “lazy” writing in some way. In any murder mystery all the “action” has already happened when the detectives are brought in to investigate. As the detectives uncover the clues they explain what those clues appear to mean. Then at the end they summarize to wrap up any loose ends and explain any red herrings. SOP in this type of show. I guess you’re saying there are too many loose ends being tied up in the current Castle episodes? Now you could do it like Columbo or Motive and show the murderer commit the crime, but that’s a different type of show, not a who-done-it.
        As for losing interest in the show, I’m at that point as well. I was at the same point in season 4. If I had to endure one more scene at the end of an episode where Castle or Beckett were going to make a personal confession only to be interrupted… In character driven shows, they have to develop and change as do their relationships. If it’s the same thing every week it gets boring. If it’s story driven (like Law & Order) as long as you have interesting stories the show will be interesting.
        I’m certain I’ll be watching next season (if there is one) with or without Beckett, just to see if it’s going anywhere interesting. If I’m not interested, I’ll slowly fade away.

• lkh says:

KCC-thanks for your comments. Lazy writing is not my terminology but I’m using it as I think others have to mean what you say–far too much is being verbally summarized at the end of the show–some of this material should be woven into the other 40 minutes. Truly, it wasn’t as bad this week as it was last week, where I think everyone noticed that the last 10 minutes or so was a lecture on what happened. I’m not a writer, but this seems to me to be the easy way out. Previously, the ending and summary of the episodes was much more subtle and the outcome usually explained by what we had seen even though the killer would be a bit of a surprise. Anyway, I think the verbal explaining at the end goes on and is much more complex than we have previously seen in the show.

• lkh says:

Hope that makes some sense, I haven’t had my coffee. See, action would be better than all this explainin’ :]

• lkh says:

Not to kick a dead horse, but let me ‘go on’ with an extreme example. Suppose there’s a fight scene in a show and rather than showing you the fight scene, at the end of the show they tell you about the fight scene: hit him in the jaw with an upper cut, then a right cross, kicked him in the groin, he fell, then…blah, blah. It was really something to see…:]

• KCC says:

I get what you’re saying. I just don’t see Castle as an “action show” like AoS. It’s more of a puzzle, the pieces are there and have to be put together, we don’t get to see how the pieces get where they are. Like your fight example, show me someone blooded and disheveled and I’ll figure out there was a fight, you don’t have to show it to me. Then we, the characters and viewers, have to discover why there was a fight and how it figures into the story. I do agree that too much explaining at the end is not as much fun. Show me the clues and give me a chance to figure it out, don’t just tell me about it.

• sigh says:

“I’m not sure if it’s me or them” — I was wondering the exact same thing last night and I concluded that it is definitely me haha. I don’t know… After reading how many people liked this episode or how they could now see a Stana-free Castle, I do think it’s me. But I had all the same questions/thoughts you stated. :]

• ndixit says:

Point one is kind of stupid. Alexis is his daughter. She will always be his first priority. Even over Beckett. He has shown plenty of affection for Beckett when she is in danger, including this season. The rest is just nitpicking and grumbling. As a Castle fan, I know that its alright to give some other characters some screen space as well. Alexis literally has done nothing of note during the season except pop in and out of episode. She is part of the main cast too. So if Ryan and Esposito can get episodes that are heavy on their presence, Alexis can too and people should stop saying that the show should only focus on Caskett. The show has relationships other than Caskett too which should be focused on every once in a while. This was an excellent episode. Easily one of the best of the season.

• Mary says:

Totally agree, I wouldn´t say it better!:)

• Just one thing says:

I’ve always felt that the Castle/Alexis relationship is important to preserve, even though Alexis has annoyed me since season four. And I always wondered why the writers went the direction they did, without giving Alexis more time to interact – not just with her dad, but also her would-be stepmom.
        I don’t think fans would see Castle/Alexis and Castle/Beckett as mutually exclusive if the writers hadn’t spent three years pretending like they were.

• R says:

We missed you last week JOT. Without trying to come off as a fanboy, your comments and insights into the show are almost unparalleled. It really is a shame; I can hardly recognize this show anymore. What was once a story about a writer and his muse fighting crime has turned into anything but. Kate’s transformation into the constantly worried, useless, doting wife is almost complete. Who cares if Stana doesn’t sign on for a Season 8, they already have the perfect formula without her. Kate can be the off screen, stay-at-home mom while Detective Alexis and Castle are off thwarting plane crashes and terrorist attacks. I’ve known what this episode was going to be for a long time and I still managed to be disappointed.

• Just one thing says:

Hey, thanks for the sentiment! I appreciate TVLINE’s weekly recaps, otherwise I’d have no outlet for babbling. :-)
            And I agree: the formula is definitely there for a Kate-less or Kate-lite season 8. It definitely feels like that’s been somewhat of the transition for most of this season.
            And, I hate to say it, but Katic’s portrayal of Beckett being sooo in love with Castle kind of compounds the issue – especially when it’s not quite reciprocated in kind. There are things Katic does on a regular basis from a physicality perspective that are clearly not scripted, and Fillion simply fails to respond.
            So, it might be easier for some of us to swallow Castle The Action Hero or Liam Neeson Junior, if he gave a little more in that regard, while also saving 10s of 1,000s or fighting an American-born terrorist on a plane.
            Then again, I guess some of us should just suck it up, stop complaining, or change the channel. :-) No constructive criticism or logical debate allowed.

• sigh says:

Exactly what you said — I don’t need C/A & C/B to be mutually exclusive. I would rather have a little bit of everyone in every episode (like it used to be) instead of, let’s say, zero Alexis in a string of episodes followed by an entire hour with her.

• Just one thing says:

Yes. Haven’t watched early episodes in a while, but I remember the divide was more… organic. :-)
            I think they were hit with budget cuts a couple seasons ago, which may explain the canyon like dip in half the cast’s airtime.

• sigh says:

^Organic! You could be the new showrunner if you keep using words like that :)

• lkh says:

it may have something to do with mythology–this is not my first language.

• Just one thing says:

The trick to telling fun and organic stories is to dig deep into a character’s mythology, while respecting the process along the way.

• lkh says:

say what? JOT

• Marta says:

Totally agree!! No more no less

@ndixit

it was an excellent episode as for being the best, for me it was in the top ten (this season only). it was a great change from the other weeks, I like the family ones, that’s why i liked this show also liked the Beckett/castle angle too.

I think that some fans are just in it for the “Casket” which is just fine, and they didn’t get them right up against each other and they get out of whack. I love all the different ones as well. I just hope that we get more in season 8!

18. ndixit says:

For me, this was an excellent episode. A huge step up from last week’s disaster. People need to remember that while Castle and Beckett are the main characters, the other characters are also main characters. Alexis and Martha get barely any roles throughout the season but when one of them gets a substantial role for a change, people start grumbling just on the concept. It was great to have an episode here we didn’t have the same old sets and different supporting characters. It was great to have a focused and competent Castle, and not the bumbling and goofy sidekick. It was great to see father and daughter work together. Caskett is not the only relationship on the show you know. I really liked Beckett’s fear as well. It felt real and grounded given the events of the past year. There’s nothing wrong with a different structured ep once in a while.

19. Hege says:

I actually thought this was the best episode of the season. It was so much fun, entertaining and Castle fianally got to be competant. Loved Alexis as well. I didn’t mind Beckett taking a backseat in this episode. As much as I like her it has been too much of her and too little Castle for a long time. The show is called Castle… And I certanly didn’t miss Espos snarky remarks to Castle either. I thought this was a classic episode of Castle. Loved it! The whole Caskett thing is kinda ruining the show. And please, no baby. End the show with Beckett getting pregnant. A baby usually kills a show off.

• Disappointed says:

You’re entitled to your view about Beckett taking a back seat, but “Castle” to me has been, and always will be Castle and Beckett working together on screen, so I think describing it as “classic” Castle is going a bit too far. I do agee about Espo’s snarks though and definitely agree that there should be no place for a baby before the series finale.

• Hege says:

By classic I mean the story and the feel of the episode.

• Disappointed says:

“Classic” to me means those sharp exchanges of banter between Castle and Beckett as they build theory during a case with Ryan and Espo joining in with their witty remarks, and we don’t seem to get the interesting persons of interest anymore, like Jessop the locksmith, West Side Wally, or the crazy lady from the con man episode, like we used to.

• Jennifer says:

You can’t have Castle without Beckett. The show started with the two of them and it should end with both of them. The whole bases of this show is a mystery writer (Castle) and his muse (Beckett) which is now his wife. You can’t have one without the other. I do think that Andrew Marlowe could have come up with a better title for the show instead of naming it after 1 of the main characters. They could have called in New York Heat. They are solving crimes in New York City and the books are called “Heat” Wave, Deadly “Heat” etc. In regards to Espo’s snarks towards Castle he is entitiled to have them, Espo saw how much pain Castles disappreance hurt Beckett and Espo thinks of Kate and Ryan as family, they are all partners. I think it will all be made clear on May 11th. Let’s hope that we have a season 8 with the entire cast. But for me NO Stana NO Castle. Team Beckett!!

20. Sarah says:

I like yesterday episode it was nice to see castle and daughter interaction.

21. if Castle does end this yesr :'( maybe they can do a spin off with Molly Quinn as a detective/medical examiner/mystery writer to be. I’d watch that!

22. kmw says:

While I did not watch this episode and there is the similarity of a plane flight with what BONES did in season 4 or 5 the biggest difference is that on Bones the leads were TOGETHER on the plane. I know shows have to mix episodes up but separating leads is never good( Castle hasn’t done this as bad as Bones has done this year, which is real reason for decline of Bones this season) It seems like the stories were totally different IMO.

23. Alex says:

Boring boring boring. I feel like the writers aren’t even trying anymore.

24. Unlike other ad networks online, Banners Broker also delivers an integrated answer that caters to each the advertiser and publisher.

25. Jennifer says:

I enjoyed the show but I don’t like it when they don’t have Castle and Beckett together working the cases hand in hand. I love the father/daughter scenes but the show is not about a father/daughter combo. The show is based on a mystery writer and his muse now wife. Castle without Beckett is like having an oreo cookie without milk, or a peanut butter sandwich with no jelly. There all good but together they are GREAT. The end scene made me wonder if Beckett is pregnant. She started to tell Castle towards the end when she said Castle “I’m” and he stopped her and said me to. Then when she was watching the plane land and it said arrived safely she had this look on her face like yes now my baby will have his or her Daddy. I really hope that Stana getting married this past weekend doesn’t mean that she will not renew her contract. Let’s face it, Nathan has already signed and if ABC thinks that the show could survive without Stana Katic why haven’t they announced season 8 already instead of saying we would love to have it back. I have said it before and I’ll say it again the network did not count on Stana having the big following as she does now when the show first started. I really hope there is a season 8 with the whole cast and they end it on a high note. I’ll follow her career where ever it takes her and I can’t wait to see what she does next if it’s not Castle. NO Stana; NO Castle for me. Team Beckett!!

26. mary charlotte says:

It was a good episode, but i prefere Castle and Beckett together solving the crime. I been a fan since episode 1 i really want season 8 with these two, i don’t think Castle be good without Beckett,

27. jo says:

As a former Lost fan, loved that they were on “Oceanic.”

28. Matthew Weber says:

I love Castle, but do they really need to keep stealing things from Bones?

As for the episode itself, it was okay. It worries me a bit that they seem to be separating Beckett and Castle more and more often, almost like they are preparing us for a Beckett-less Castle. Though I still expect ABC will just cancel it if they don’t think Stana’s going to sign.

Never been a big fan of Alexis. Also did anyone else think that Castle was unusually calm about Alexis being held at gunpoint? He didn’t even try to put himself in between her and the gun? really?

• Mary says:

Who says they are “stealing” from Bones? Probably their inspiration was the same where Bones got theirs – because you don´t think Bones was the 1st show to do it, do you?:) And for the record, I´m a fan of both shows:)

29. Just one thing says:

I wish the Internet had a megaphone, so I could shout:
    BECKETT IS NOT PREGNANT IN THIS EPISODE. CERTAINLY NOT ENOUGH TO BE SHOWING. ALSO, ON WHAT PLANET WOULD BECKETT HIDE HER PREGNANCY FOR SO LONG??
    And then I would direct people to Stana’s instagram, where people could see recent photos of her from the finale.

• Christina says:

I find it so amusing that so many people thought that end scene with Beckett could be something more, i.e. pregnant. To me, it 100% seemed like she was relieved her HUSBAND landed safely after the ordeal he just went through. Nothing more.

I also find it funny that once promo pictures come out, they automatically think Beckett is pregnant due to the clothes she’s wearing or the way she’s standing. Um…. Stana is so skinny. (Side note – the blue baggy shirt she wore in this episode reminded me of the shirt she wore in the season 3 premiere. That one was also loose/baggy. Guess what? Not pregnant!)

• Just one thing says:

Yes and yes. She was relieved because she loves her husband and stepdaughter.
        And holy cannoli, Castle Pregnancy Watch is real and on full alert! I wouldn’t blame her for burning that blouse.

• R says:

Okay JOT, I am now trying to respond to our previous conversation for the THIRD time; let’s see if this does the trick lol. I must say, you are a brave soul for bringing up Fillion’s inability to emote. You are absolutely right, of course ;)

Anyways, back on topic. For years, the number one battling cry for the dissatisfied segment of the fanbase has been their belief that the show has been too Beckett-centric in prior seasons. After all, the show is called Castle! However, there is a fundamental difference between the show when it focused on Beckett and what we are getting now.

In earlier seasons, when over-arching storylines revolved around Johanna Beckett’s murder and how it impacted present-day Kate and, consequently, her relationship with Castle, the show made damn sure that the audience knew how important Castle was to Kate’s story.

Castle was constantly by Kate’s side as he supported, pushed, and challenged her ~ even going so far as to tell Kate he was done with her if she didn’t stop her reckless behavior. Furthermore, Castle continually made groundbreaking discoveries regarding the murder of Beckett’s mother. Episodes such as “Sucker Punch”, “Knockdown”, “Kill Shot”, and “Always” brought us capstone moments in the progression of C&B’s relationship; which, of course, is the most important aspect of the show.

And therein lies the problem with Season 7. Kate feels wholly unimportant to Castle’s story. She doesn’t get to do any of the things Castle did when the roles were reversed. Even Kate becoming Castle’s pillar of support (something I’ve been championing for since Target/Hunt) has started to feel disingenuous because she has no reaction to any of Castle’s reckless behavior, other than to sigh in relief.

I honestly do not see a partnership anymore. I see Kate as a conduit of information and police resources as Castle goes off by himself to save the day (7.02 ~ 7.09 ~ 7.10 ~ 7.11 ~ 7.12 ~ 7.13 ~ 7.20 ~ 7.21), or she becomes a prop so Castle can be transformed into a combination of Jason Bourne and Sherlock Holmes to, once again, save the day (7.15)

Lastly, when the show focused on Beckett, it served a purpose. There was great character interaction and growth. The audience got to grow with our favorite characters as they learned more about themselves. Castle the one-man-band serves no purpose. We aren’t learning anything new about Castle, and there sure as heck ain’t any great character interactions. Beckett is being marginalized solely so Castle can become the rockstar.

Present day Castle is great for the portion of the fanbase that is obsessed with Castle becoming the next Mal Reynolds. Unfortunately, there is not much left for the rest of us that fell in love with an entirely different show.

We can debate until the sun comes up how uneven the focus on Castle and Beckett may have been in the past, but make no mistake, the show has never been as unbalanced as it is right now.

• lkh says:

Excellent

Preach!

• Just one thing says:

Oh, and I should clarify that I don’t think Fillion is INCAPABLE of meeting Katic halfway in demonstrating Castle’s love for Beckett, I just don’t think he is very consistent.
            During Big Dramatic Events, Castle is absolutely on point with showing hisnworry, fear, love, etc. But in the regular, day-to-day, non-sexual and non-scripted affection, it’s simply not there.
            Just wanted to clarify, since I’m not trying to blindly bash.

• DarkDefender says:

Well said, R. Very well said.

• Reyhane says:

Wow! You said it all.

30. corey ackerman says:

i loved the “lost” shoutout…. castle and alexis were on an oceanic air flight…

31. Brigid says:

Great episode! It was fun and I loved watching Alexis and Castle work together. As his daughter, she will always be the number one priority in his life, above his spouse, and that is how it should be. How interesting that I watched the same show as all of you and I saw Castle and Beckett working together but because they weren’t side by side you see it as not working together. By most of your observations the show has to run on a continuous spool of the first few seasons and can not change in any way. WHY do they have to be next to each other every episode? Why is change so difficult for human beings? Life is all about change and if you don’t like it than continue to sit under your rock of boring and leave the rest of us adventurors to our enjoyment. It’s exhausting reading your negative comments about this show on a weekly basis. Why do you keep coming back to hate write? All it says to me is that you want everyone else brought down to your level because you don’t want to be alone with your negativity. Maybe if you stop watching the show you will eventually feel less angst and turmoil in your life and can turn that negativity into something positive and healthy. Really, the amount of time people spend on a TV show not going their way is disconcerting. By all means write your own show and sell it to a network, let’s see how well you maintain the perfect series for 7+ years.

32. Nancy says:

This was a great episode! My husband, and I, thoroughly enjoyed it! I think that Nathan Fillion can carry any show, and not need Stana Katic.

33. Other do’s and don’ts on mawking a website is having
    a good content. Also, if you are using the router to block or filter some
    websites, make sure that the secure site that you are trying
    to visit is not lisyed in the blocked list.

The content on your website should be informative and useful to thhe wbsite
    visitor.

34. Marta says:

great episode! I love Castle’s father side! He’s excellent!!

35. Heather says:

I was totally bored. Whoever is doing the writing for Castle lately must have been watching too many movies. I saw way too many parallels between this and NON-STOP with Liam Neelson.

36. W praktyce sprawa nie jest taka prosta, bo kolektory słoneczne nie pracują
    stale z taką samą mocą.

37. JS says:

This has been a lost year for me. I think they realized that the new “Show runner” just wasn’t up to it. I thought this was a good episode though.

38. K says:

This episode has nice father daughter interaction, but this episode was still so horrible. The only highlights of the episode was Beckett being worried about her husband and stepdaughter and I like that the writers wrote in a gay couple. It was awful that there was no face to face interaction between Castle and Beckett. The bread and butter of the show has always been Castle and Beckett take that away and there is no show.

39. Fran says:

Great show! Loved the entire show! Bring the show back!

40. Barb Dubour says:

I didn’t care for ep In Plane Sight. Too simplistic and improbable. Also don’t care for eps that focus on Nathan. This ensemble of actors is terrific together but Stana makes the show for me. Her acting and comedic timing is superb. To me, the show works best when it is focused on Beckett, with Castle supporting her. Too much of Castle, without Beckett, just isn’t as interesting.

41. Lame says:

I reall liked this episode, it brought back the clever, resourceful Castle of yor, with the added bonus of an equally clever, resourceful Alexis, a chip off the old block, good to see. With virtually the entire story unfolding on board an in flight airliner, it reminded me of that Liam Nessiam movie “non stop”. seems like flights from the US to England have become the new Orient Express. Now that the negotiations are completed, and Stana has left the country to get married, what have your sources heard of the outcome.

42. Sandy says:

Did you see the name of the airline Castle was flying? Too funny

43. ayeah14 says:

Did nobody notice that when they wanted to get the nervous passengers fingerprints off the cup at first he had a clear liquid in his cup and when he put it into trash bag it had red liquid. Unless he can turn water into wine, somebody did a poor editing job. That is sloppy continuity.

• Lame says:

Continuity has never been one of this series strong points.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You made me curious, so I played that scene back. The liquid at first looks clear, but it’s actually the mirror-like surface of a dark liquid reflecting the light coming in through window. (Sorry to “Lame” above.)

• Lame says:

I wasn’t addressing that particular scene, more like the times Beckett left the precinct to see Lanier and would arrive at the coroners office wearing a different outfit, What are your sources telling you now that the negotiations are finished and SK has left the country to get married, is she resigning or not..

• Tara17 says:

I noticed it too, bad continuity indeed!

44. Yo mama says:

I thought Alexis was well written in this episode. The right balance of smarts and common sense. The relationship with her Dad seemed realistic and respectful, showing her sense of humor. Mommy Alexis, and I’m the smart one Alexis, were hard to take. Castłe agreeing with her was even harder. I hope they continue on this path with the family dynamic.

The last time a watch was prominant in a Castłe episode, mr. smith was involved.

45. acurat says:

“And having not been on a trans-Atlantic flight recently, I’ll assume that the wi-fi, in-flight cell phone calls, emailing and video chatting are that reliable. Though how were Rick’s video chats and speaker phone convos not tipping off nearby passengers?” I am in Germany right now, just completed a flight from the USA. I can tell you without a doubt, you CANNOT call on the wi-fi. No video conferencing. Nothing. That is blocked on all the services. The only way to call is through the old-fashioned phone on the back of the seat – which has been removed from most planes. This epiode (which I have not seen yet) is based on fiction as all communication except email is blocked – end of story. This holds true for Luftansa, Delta, and United – all of which I have flown transatlantic in the past year.

46. liame says:

I guess I was watching a different episode because I thought this was the worst episode ever! The plot line was stupid and insulting.

47. Lame says:

TvWiseUK is saying the SK deal should be finalized by Tues. and Castle should be back for a full season 8. Let’s see how dependable those Brits are. And if so what concessions NF & SK garnered from ABC.

48. jimbobogie says:

My concern is that with the marriage of Castle and Beckett, the show will lose the sexual tension that added the extra dimension that separated it from a show like “McMillan and Wife”.