Emmys

Daytime Emmys: Days and Y&R Split Best Drama, GH Wins 3 Acting Awards, B&B Tops Soap Opera Pack

Daytime Emmys Winners 2015

The 42nd annual Daytime Emmy Awards were held Sunday evening at the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, hosted by Tyra Banks and broadcast on Pop (fka TVGN fka TV Guide Network).

CBS led the networks with 24 total wins, including 17 collected at Saturday’s Creative Arts ceremony; syndicated programming followed with 10 wins.

Among soap operas, The Bold and the Beautiful, buoyed by eight Creative Arts wins, dominated by grabbing 10 total statuettes. General Hospital and The Young and the Restless followed with six each, while Days of Our Lives racked up four.

The venerable Betty White was honored this year with a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Will Pop’s inaugural telecast improve upon 2014’s Christmas Tree Shops-affordable online outing, or the Las Vegas infomercial hybrids before that? Let us know in Comments!

Here are Sunday’s major winners, denoted in bold (a complete list can be found here). Check ’em out, then hit Comments with your yeas and nays.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful
Days of Our LivesWINNER (tie)
General Hospital
The Young and the RestlessWINNER (tie)

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Peggy McKay (Caroline, Days)
Allison Sweeney (ex-Sami, Days)
Gina Tognoni (Phyllis, Y&R)
Maura West (Ava, GH) — WINNER (third career win)
Laura Wright (Carly, GH)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Anthony Geary (Luke, GH) — WINNER (eight career win)
Christian LeBlanc (Michael, Y&R)
Billy Miller (ex-Billy, Y&R)
Jason Thompson (Patrick, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Linsey Godfrey (Caroline, B&B)
Amelia Heinle (Victoria, Y&R) — WINNER
Elizabeth Hendrickson (ex-Chloe, Y&R)
Finola Hughes (Anna, GH)
Lisa LoCicero (Olivia, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)
Chad Duell (Michael, GH) — WINNER
Kristoff St. John (Neil, Y&R)
Jacob Young (Rick, B&B)

YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kristen Alderson (ex-Kiki, GH)
Camila Banus (Gabi, Days)
Hunter King (Summer, Y&R) — WINNER
Haley Pullos (Molly, GH)

YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bryan Craig (Morgan, GH)
Max Ehrich (Fenmore, Y&R)
Tequan Richmond (T.J. GH)
Freddie Smith (Sonny, Days) — WINNER

GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Sally Kellerman (ex-Constance, Y&R)
Donna Mills (ex-Madeline, GH) — WINNER (tie)
Elena Tovar (Rosalie, GH)
Fred Willard (ex-John, B&B) — WINNER (tie)
Ray Wise (ex-Ian, Y&R) — WINNER

Outstanding New Approaches Drama Series: The Bay
Outstanding Performer in a New Approaches Drama Series: Martha Byrne, Anacostia
Outstanding Children’s Series: R.L. Stine’s The Haunting Hour
Outstanding Legal/Courtroom Program: The People’s Court
Outstanding Culinary Host: Bobby Flay, Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction

1. leigh says:

Boy these names for Best Actress have changed since I watched soaps. I miss OLTL…

• Judy says:

When did you watch? Those ladies have all been around for years. Peggy McKay is 87 years old!!

• Nadine Zimmerman says:

So we have 4 soaps……..and yet somehow there’s a 2 way tie??? Also…..5 best guest actors….and there’s a THREE WAY TIE??? Unreal. Further proof that the daytime emmys are a joke! Geary wins every year and he phones his performances in half the time.
      Thank god for premium television and streaming service. Theres a reason no one watches the Daytime Emmys.

• castle bones fan says:

me too…..

• sandy says:

I miss OLTL too, loved that show.

2. lll says:

The Guest Star in a Drama was decided Friday at the Creative Arts Emmys. It was a three-way tie tbetween Donna Mills, Ray Wise, and Fred Willard.

3. Ralph says:

Why do I have a feeling this will turn into the CBS awards again?

Go GH!

I too dearly miss OLTL!!!! 😢

4. Ralph says:

Congrats to Chad Duell. Very worthy. Maybe I was wrong about the CBS awards?

And by the way, TO ALL AWARDS SHOWS…… when doing a clip montage…SHOW THE CLIPS!! They are what the viewers want to see!

• PGP says:

From your lips to God’s ears….hoping for Maura West and Tony Geary!

• Amy says:

Thanks Ralph…Yes! It was at that point I thought…wow…this has got to be the worst produced show. A 3rd grader would know how to do the montage. First time (and last I’m sure) I’ve ever “witnessed” (unfortunately not seen) a montage televised, where they focused on the singer 80% of it for tv viewers. I tweeted them about it, it was so infuriating. And far as I could see, in the background….also, what the heck video montage about soaps, to “What I Did For Love” and leave out daytime’s supercouple for a lifetime, Luke & Laura?? The beloved fan fav ‘balcony scene’ at the governor’s mansion, circa 1982 or so, when Laura “comes back from the dead” to Luke, running into each others arms would have been a producers no-brainer for that montage. That show was awful. TB awful too.

• Amy says:

oops, that was a badly constructed sentence…what I meant was, what video montage about soaps, to the tune of “What I Did for Love” leaves out L&L?!! …that is, from what little I could see in the background, I don’t think L&L were even in it.

5. iHeart says:

Too bad Canada can’t catch it this year. Oh well, left me more time for Once

6. Moore says:

How come no tv for this show.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Airing as we speak on the Pop Network (fka TVGN fka TV Guide Network).

• Kevin says:

Which is great of the network but a good chunk of us don’t get that channel. If they’re going to show it yet not have full coverage all across the nation, they need to stream it online as well.

• Stacey says:

E! Network should pick this up AND show all of the red carpet stuff happening before! Daytime Emmys are a dying breed, and, if they want to keep it going, the networks need to make a bigger effort to promote it. Showing it on a network that isn’t carried on all cable companies is ridiculous.

7. Angela says:

Aw, yay for Craig Ferguson finally getting an Emmy :D!

8. Frances says:

I watched until Hunter King won again along with Amelia Heinle then I realized it was no classier than last year and still the same names. Really?

9. Mr. Tran K says:

BIGGEST SHOCKER: Craig Ferguson won an Emmy for Outstanding Game Show Host on Celebrity Name Game. Hope his new gig is going to be much better after his amazing run as host of The Late Late Show. Very happy The Price is Right lost to Jeopardy! for Outstanding Game Show and so far this season, it continues to be 100% pure disappointment and I guess there’s a reason why Drew Carey still got no Daytime Emmy love since he took over for Bob Barker. Where does TV’s longest running game show go from here and what does this mean for Drew Carey, George Gray and the models depending on their contracts and its future? Guess Manuela’s price tag fiasco is something they’re going to forget and one of the most memorable WTF moments of the year.

• Titus says:

Craig Ferguson should be Price host. He was a lot more entertaining than Drew the time they traded hosting each other’s shows.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Yeah right. Remember what happen last year when Drew Carey took over The Late Late Show and Craig Ferguson took over The Price is Right as part of their April Fools Day switcheroo. Fans still wanted to see both Price is Right and Let’s Make a Deal switch places for next year’s April Fools Day special. Make it happen CBS Daytime or viewers are still going to be outraged.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Final word: disappointed that Let’s Make a Deal (CBS) got snubbed this year for both Outstanding Game Show and its host Wayne Brady. Better be back in the nomination run next year.

• Webster says:

Drew Carey is TERRIBLE host on TPIR and that is why he doen’t get nominated. He is like Dead Man Walking – n embarrament every show.

10. Shannon says:

Way to go Steve Harvey

11. Linda says:

I think it is awful that the Daytime Emmys are not on regular television. We the public are the people that watch them. It stinks that we can’t see it

• Kevin says:

So agree. The least they could’ve done is stream it online as well.

• Joey says:

They Daytime Emmy’s have had terrible ratings over the years. It got a a point for the over-the-air networks just didn’t want them anymore. CW had them for a moment, and it was, at the time, the lowest rated Daytime Emmy’s telecast. It had even worse ratings when HLN aired them. It got so bad that in 2014 they didn’t even bother getting a TV network to air them, and instead just put them online.

If the public really gave a damn about the Daytime Emmy’s then they’d be on regular TV. The fact is, the public doesn’t care. Though they should have at least streamed them online, too.

• jp says:

Why don’t they just put them on during the day – the time when the shows being honored are normally on? Some network should be able to do that…the rest of us at work when it is on will just dvr it

12. Bill Pickett says:

Congratulations CBS Sunday Morning. Have always loved your show!

13. Linda says:

I don’t think it’s fair that the Daytime Emmys were not on regular tv

• Lin Eckert says:

I have watched the soaps since grade school. The Young and Restless and the Bold and the Beautiful since their conception. I love them both. They have brought light to many topics that are or were news worthy. They have great writers. Keep up the good work CBS!

14. PGP says:

Congrats to Maura West and Tony Geary….so deserved!

• Webster says:

Maua West was so drunk she could barely stand up. And Deidre Hall either had a painful dental appt or a stoke with her slurred speech.

• Amy says:

Maura West was embarrassing…to herself. Ugh, it was uncomfortable to watch. Don’t get her win…I think she’s nothing special on GH and her storylines bore me. I like GH’s glory days and their vets…NOT all these “imported” other actors. Hate GH writing these days too. Too bad…it was such a great soap long ago.

15. Karina Lynn says:

so glad The Talk and Wendy Williams didn’t get anything…Ellen is more than deserving in so many ways…

16. N says:

Yay for Tony Geary and Jeopardy!

17. Ralph says:

Im a life long lover of soaps, but I have never understood all the love for Young and the Restless.

Congrats to them regardless.

• Tina says:

I could say the same about GH. I grew up with CBS, so I give all the much deserved kiddos to Y&R. I Did, however get into OLTL on Soap Network, that was awesome, till it went off the air…well tv anyway.

• Mary says:

I used to watch Y & R when it first came on, but lost interest after a year. Always have been a GH fan and OLTL. Happy for Tony, Maura and Chad. Well deserved. I was actually surprised to be honest GH won anything because the last couple of years it was all CBS. Honestly I felt nobody but those shows cast any votes.

18. I am totally upset that GH didn`t win best drama they have had a great year with all there storylines What is going on?

• LT says:

Agreed! Clearly the academy hates Frank and Ron. GH should’ve won more….

• LOL says:

Especially since Days hasn’t been good in YEARS!

• Mary says:

I thought it was a slap in the face also. I find it ironic that it was a tied. Oh well these awards show really don’t mean much as far as I am concern. Many of talented actors and actresses that didn’t even get nominated.

19. marilyn says:

General Hospital, in all catagories, should have “Swept” it all!! Very Happy Anthony Geary won! Much Deserved! Kudo’s to all G.H. Participants!

20. Maureen says:

Am I missing something? How was Eric Braden & Peter Bergman NOT nominated for lead actor? And how did B&B win for best writing & directing but NOT best show? I’m confused? And how did the Phyllis replacement get nominated when she’s only been on for a nano second but Michelle Stafford played Phyllis a lot longer but didn’t get nominated? This was the WORST Emmy’s EVER!

• Toni says:

“hate” eric braden & his blustery “acting.”

• BeaAnn44 says:

I thought Michelle Stafford was great as Phyllis. Even when I didn’t like Phyllis, I loved Michelle’s acting. She should have an Emmy for that role. If she doesn’t (or was never even nominated), she was robbed.

21. Yes Maura West! Her speech was moving, gracious, and simply; more so to prove why she’s the finest in daytime! Good for Chad Duell! Very happy for him… Boggled at Hunter’s win, and Y&R win for Drama Series; but also more so to prove why Jill Farren Phelps deserves her own Emmy category for Outstanding Emmy Reel Selecter!

• Johnny says:

LMAO. Good one. Love or hate her I think she holds the distinction of being the most Emmy Awarded producer in the genre. She can’t be as hated or feared in the industry as fans seem to think.

22. Good for GH taking the most acting wins! Definitely had the best acting reels this year… and pretty great Daytime Emmys broadcast as a whole! Tyra was shaky here in there, but the production values/graphics/specifics/clips were the best in years. Nice to hear that POP will continue next year as well!

23. Keith says:

Maura West…Best Actress……so well deserved!

24. Susan Fletcher says:

B&B tied with DOOL? PLEASE. Now I know why I stopped watching the Daytime Emmy show. How much r the so-called judges getting paid off. GH had the best year. Best storyline. Best acting by far. What a joke.

25. LOL says:

Ugh Maura West winning over Allison Sweeney? No.

• sandy says:

Did you watch any of her performance? She did a fantastic job towards the end.

• Mary says:

OMG, you obviously didn’t watch her. I don’t know what scene she sent in but the one of her giving birth after being drugged was the best I have EVER seen in daytime TV and I have been watching for a few years.

• marilyn says:

I think Allison’s chances were hurt because Peggy McKay was nominated in Lead category also. Love Ms McKay and Caroline Brady but she should have been nominated in supporting category. Her big part in Will and Sonny’s wedding episode did not warrant Lead. Otherwise, between the scenes where EH imagined Sami’s reaction to his affair with Abigail and her work in the scenes where EJ died, Alison Sweeney should have walked away with that trophy.

26. The in memoriam was decent and the Daytime Emmys actually had one this year. They missed Justin Gocke (who died in late 2014) and won a Daytime Emmy for his work on Santa Barbara.

Having only four shows and then a tie in best show was a bit weird, but that’s what you get with the current system. The Days montage was the best montage about a soap at the Daytime Emmys since it was on CBS/ABC/NBC.

27. Sharon says:

I really like the writing now on Y&R and think they have a great chance next year. This season has been really exciting and fast paced. Edgy!

28. kelley says:

I stopped watching B&B after Stephanie, Ridge, and Taylor left. Now after all these years…the show beats Y&R? Who da thunkit?

• castle bones fan says:

b&b was great back in the days with Stephanie (my fav) ridge (another fav)and taylor but now I still find it very interesting show, been watching this one and Y&R for over 25 years!

29. Mr. Tran K says:

One of the worst Daytime Emmy award shows in recent memory and both Y&R and DAYS ended up as co-winners for Outstanding Drama Series. Let’s hope next year is going to be WAY worse 100%.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“One of the worst Daytime Emmy award shows in recent memory”? Don’t say patently ludicrous things, man. Last year’s show cost about $100, and the previous years were commercials for Las Vegas.

• ChrisGa says:

Truly ludicrous; this was one of the best I’ve seen in YEARS(though I did enjoy Kathy Griffin as host last year). Especially loved the Days tribute.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Sorry I beg to differ but having co-winners in a single nomination category may have been rigged and I really don’t know if the Emmy voters are to blame if they stirred up criticism nor controversy. Have I ever lied to you guys for the first time or is it just me who’s taking the blame? Try to move on and do something else and stop complaining. JUST SAYING.

• Nadine Zimmerman says:

Oh, so thats why my comment was deleted. We’re not allowed to have negative opinions about the shows you like.
        So sorry Matt. Forget it. 2 way ties and 3 way ties amongst a pool of next to nothing, are perfectly awesome and great. Carry on.

30. castle bones fan says:

Congrats to all the winners! Had a great year watching B&B and Y&R keep it up! Big fan for over 25 years, so I hope to see more.

31. Go Young and The Restlesd

32. Bill Sharp, Jr. says:

I have always enjoyed following the awards, and have attended 3 awards shows in New York, but since I was unable to access the show this year, I am loosing interest.

33. Cathy Juarez says:

Allison Sweeney was robbed! She should’ve won for her work when EJ died, no question!

• mollytanner says:

I believe Allison Sweeney submitted the episode that was the fake-out of her finding out about EJ and Abigail. DAYS did submit the episode of when EJ died for its Best Drama submission (along with the Will/Sonny wedding). So in a way, Sweeney helped Days win something just not for herself.

• Gaye says:

Agree. She always did outstanding work. Bummer

34. Christy says:

So sad I didn’t get to watch the daytime Emmys bc I do not have POP station. So disappointed. I think they should be aired on another station that everyone gets. I was definately happy to hear about GH winners!!!! Also, The Chew hosts are good too. GO GH, the best soap ever. Too bad Dr. Oz didn’t win anything. He’s great!

35. Ruth Ann Laviolette says:

I Know I May Be Biased (Since I Have Been Watching Days Since 1968!) But, I Don’t understand How Days Is Not Only Nominated In More Categories, but Has Only Won A Few Awards! The Show Never Cease To Surprise & Entertain Me! Kudos, Days! Keep It comin’! Ruth Ann Laviolette

36. Kat says:

Am I allowed to comment not being a member or whatever? I thought these were an embarrassment overall. If they wanted to bring classy back, it was a fail. I’ve watched ANTM since the beginning, but TB was bad dressed mess and not the host I would’ve liked, and honestly, winners aside, it seemed a LOT of the people were drunk or something. I mean, really out of it. Presenters, winners, especially. By the end I was almost hiding my eyes. I’ll not disagree with who was voted for, because it is done, BUT I will say, that there seemed to be some Emmy reels peeking through. I had hopes for this year, and I know people will kill me for this but…….I did not feel that this lived up to anything.

• Kat says:

Oh, I would also say, that the gal that did the montage was great, but I didn’t get to see the actual love stories on screen, most of what I saw was her singing. I would rather have seen the story clips. They did better with the memorials and all, but geez. I will say though, I can witch and moan all I want, but at least they are on tv now. Might hate the results, but glad they are back on tv and as a long time fan, I’ll support, though I think TG has won enough. On to Queens of Drama!

37. sandy says:

I was so happy to see Maura West had won, she did a fantastic job with her character. I had the pleasure of meeting her when she was just beginning her career.

• Kat says:

I adored MW till today. She’s great but darn, she seemed to be a bit out of it this time, I remember when she took her girl up when she won for Carly a nd I was so crying. I like her and how great is it to get and Emmy for two shows? I hope they haven’t fired/phased her or whatever.

38. suzanne says:

I think young and the restless is getting boring it’s all about Victor now ,every thing he gets away with everything always and two Jacks come on people are not stupider they must be running out of stuff to right

39. Linda Stephenson says:

Glad some of the days characters won but Allison Sweeney should have won. Sorry all u ABC & CBS fans. Days is still number 1 in my book. ☆☆☆☆☆☆

40. Love Days of Our Lives and have watched for many years. Congratulations to all the winners.

41. ChrisGa says:

Overall, I thought it was a very tasteful broadcast. Days, Chad Duell, Maura West and Freddie Smith deserved their wins; Y&R, Hunter King and Amelia Heinle, not so much. Totally agree with the above post regarding Jill Farren Phelps; she definitely deserves an award for Best Reel Selector because she really knows how to pick ’em.

42. Maxsmom says:

I couldn’t watch the show, I don’t get Pop, what was the big Luke and Laura announcement?

• jp says:

I don’t think there was any announcement – just the occasion that they have not been together on stage for a while.

43. Carl says:

I dearly miss Santa Barbara and Another World. This year’s ceremony was infinitely better than last year’s. I’m glad they let it run long, and I was especially glad to see Maura West–who just gets better!–win.

44. Rabbs says:

Didn’t The Chew win OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW/INFORMATIVE?

• Kim R says:

I think they won for the host part of that category, although it wasn’t included above. It is the only thing I watch on daytime and I was hoping to see them take it when I read the recap today. :)

45. Judy Dunleavy says:

I had never heard of Pop channel but I was glad some channel picked up the show! I did not like the MC! Thought she was terrible!

46. Judy Dunleavy says:

Happy to see Days won 2 Emmys

47. dryedmangoez says:

Very sad about Ali Sweeney. It was her year.

48. ellen says:

Hard to see days w so few awards

49. Susan says:

I TIRED the awards….& time ran out just as Best Actress was named. Missed her speech…& the Luke & Laura moment they had been “teasing” throughout the show! Pls. Tell me what I missed. Also…it was disappointing. I like Tyra Banks, but she didn’t hit the mark. Like she tried too hard, & her outfits were awful. And why was she crawling around the stage at one point? It was all around like a low budget presentation. Some people were casual & some formal. Would have loved a Red Carpet type interviews preceeding the show. AND HAVE IT ON REGULAR MAJOR STATION, SO ALL CAN SEE. Wish Kelly & Michael would have been there to accept their win!