Ratings: Grey's Shocker Delivers Best-Since-Season Premiere Numbers

Patrick Dempsey Leaving

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy this Thursday night delivered 9.4 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, surging 24 and 33 percent week-to-week to its best numbers since the Season 11 premiere.

Grey’s also was up more than 20 percent from its year-ago May sweeps telecast.

Leading out of Grey’s, Scandal (7.8 mil/2.3) dipped a tenth, while American Crime (4.1 mil/0.9) slipped two tenths to tie its series low.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Blacklist returned to 7.2 mil and a 1.4, down 6 percent and two tenths to series lows.

CBS | Big Bang (14.4 mil/3.5) slipped 10 percent in the demo, Odd Couple (9.5 mil/2.0) and Elementary (7.6 mil/1.3) each dipped one tenth, and Mom (9 mil/1.9) was down 6 and 14 percent, hitting a season low.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.4 mil/0.6) held onto last week’s series low; Reign (840K/0.3) slipped 16 percent in audience while flat in the demo.

FOX | Bones (4.6 mil/1.0) dropped a few eyeballs while holding onto last week’s series low demo; Backstrom (3 mil/0.8) slipped 12 percent in audience while flat in the demo.

1. Julie says:

Bet the numbers for greys will take a huge nosedive next week. No McDreamy = No more Greys for me. Almost ready to quit Scandal too.

• ABG. says:

I bet they’ll increase. It’s also a 2 hour episode so it’ll do well.

• wrstlgirl says:

Never watched an episode of Greys although I knew the characters, etc. from listening to friends. I only watched this episode because there was nothing else on and I’d seen the previews and they looked interesting. Even I got angry and cried, lol!! Sure seemed like a horrible way to send off such a iconic character. Dying because the doctors were complete morons.

• Angela says:

I’ve only seen snippets of “Grey’s Anatomy” here and there. But I’m certainly familiar with the Derek character all the same, and while I had a sense something was coming with all the articles about this show in recent weeks that have popped up online, it’s still amazing to see the fan reaction. It’s rare I see a great portion of a fanbase THAT pissed off, but hoo boy… I hope Shonda Rimes built herself a nice little bunker, ’cause she might want to stay there for a while.
        But hey, I’ve cried over characters I like leaving shows before, too, and I KNOW, if my absolute favorite characters ever left my favorite shows, and by way of being killed off besides, I’d be just as upset as Derek’s fans are now. So I extend my sympathies to any Derek fans or fans of the beloved pairing involving him. It’ll be VERY interesting to see how this show fares in the wake of this.

• bar says:

Patrick Dempsey has been part-time and when he’s there he’s not actually doing much. I don’t understand. This show has always been about Meredith for me first and the whole of Grey-Sloan Memorial second. Why would people stop watching when this just creates more possibilities for dynamic storylines for Meredith? Mer/Der has already faced all the realistic and unrealistic challenges it can, and with Meredith figuring out the final mysteries of her mom earlier this season, she has too. This gives Meredith a whole new world of possibilities.

• Anne says:

I really like what you’ve said, and it’s so true! It’s what I have been saying since the season 11 premiere. This show is about Meredith, and it always has been.
        Now to Derek. Ioved him the first times I watched the show (I’ve watched it about 10 times for sure), but the older I got, and repeated to watch the show time and time again, I started to dislike Derek, and now (before 11×21) I actually kind of really disliked him. He was never good enough for her, always putting her down to make himself bigger, so his death doesn’t affect me at all (though i’m sure it did hurt alot for like 90% of GA fans). I like the show even more nowm because I really love to see what is going to happen to Meredith.

• Mike R. says:

People will come for the big follow-up episode for sure, and maybe the show will continue to hit these number for the last few episodes of the season. People will e interested to see where the show goes from here. This is without a doubt the biggest death they have ever done. However, the show was already dropping in the ratings and I am sure that will continue next year. I believe a final season announcement could arrive in May.

• Greg says:

The final season is years away, its still one of their highest rated shows and its not going to end any time soon. They have rotated the cast enough that there are people who have been around for a long time, even if the original cast is all hitting the road.

• Nero tTVf says:

I watched Greys at the beginning of the series run because it really was water-cooler cool. Over time, and it has been a long run, I have not watched but once in a while.

That said, I do agree with your assessment – no show lasts forever. Ask ER. Contracts come up, ratings go down, salaries have to be paid. Ellen P is key now – obviously. The show is built around her, and if she is up for another year beyond her current contract, yep, maybe another season beyond 2015-16. But my hunch tells me we are near the end, regardless of what others here may say about ‘the show will go on forever – the ratings are still better than most shows.’

True, the ratings are ‘good’, but in comparison to other Shondaland shows? If you are ABC and Shonda, and you have two more pilots (and hot pilots at that) in the hopper awaiting Upfront in May, and ABC needs space to slot these shows into the schedule, why keep Grey’s around beyond May 2016? The show did its job for ABC – particularly this season, filling in the 8pm slot so successfully. But my hunch is ABC is telling Shondaland to prep a replacement show that can fit immediately into that Thursday 8pm slot. Perhaps test it out next winter 2016 during Grey’s winter hiatus, and then close the book on Grey’s next spring 2016 when Ellen P’s contact ends. That’s my guess

Either that, or we get a clip next spring on Grey’s where Derek comes out of the shower and we find out the entire previous season+ has been a dream. It will be one of the two options, take your pick everyone. Greys ends May 2016, or Derek comes out of the shower and we find Mer has had a season long ‘dream.’

2. Yoki says:

Maybe that’s why the spoiler was conveniently released.

• filmex2000 says:

Yeah, the e-mail blast we rec’d from TV Line referred to the earth-shattering events in last night’s episode with the advisory of “Spoiler Alert” if we clicked thru for more info, but right under the words “Spoiler Alert” were the words, “R.I.P., McDreamy”!!
      Thanks for the Spoiler Alert! A lot of good it did.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope no one is going to be the next McDreamy on Grey’s. ABC better renewed the series and if it does, possibly a “final season” in the works?

• Television Scout says:

Yep, final season in 2015-16. it’s over folks. Ellen P signed (I believe?) a two year deal prior to this season. Her contact runs out in May 2016. Enjoy this final season in 2015-16… the end is near.

4. PFitzDC says:

Okay, TVLine–it’s officially time to update the Sweeps Scorecard! :-)

5. Dave says:

After watching 11 seasons and every single episode, i will be watching till the last day

6. Hopeful says:

Ratings for Scandal and American Crime?

7. Kyle says:

Grey’s beating Scandal – that hasn’t happened in what… 2 years?

8. wrstlgirl says:

I’m still struggling to see the point of American Crime. Nothing has progressed in this show for weeks. At least in the previews it looks like the trial will finally begin so maybe something will actually happen. Reign is pretty blah too. Same ol same ol every week with nothing really ever happening. Sigh…..

9. Boiler says:

Since Reign continues to struggle at what are now levels well below Hart of Dixie, I still don’t get why this site and others seem to be so sure it is cancelled! Obviously both ratings are bad but for CW HoD at least somewhat acceptable in the low range and relatively steady. The three people from the show who seemed to think it was cancelled are now saying that they don’t know. What do you know that we don’t? Aside from the fact that CW just poorly run

• Ray says:

Because the cast, creator and other behind-the-scenes folks (ie. producers) have confirmed the show is over on Twitter and social media?

• Television Scout says:

Yes, unfortunately, HoD is no more. The ‘official’ announcement by CW and Mark P and co will be made at Upfronts in NY in a couple of week – I think it will be Thursday, May 14th.

But you do bring up a good point. If the ratings for Reign are no better, the real question is not why HoD is being canceled, but why in the world is Reign not canceled? That question has yet to be answered. There is a story there somewhere as to why, and it is not because of the number of tweets, or likes, or any other excuse people give. Reign had no business being green-lighted in the first place for broadcast TV, and here we are, two years later, and CW and it’s 1.0 ratings and 0.6 demo crow about how great Reign is. How about some honest from the CW mgmt team? Something, something is going on between the producer of that show and someone in CW mgmt. There is no other reason. Something is there – 2+2 = 7.

There’s a opportunity for some investigative reporting for the TVLine team. Find that link between one of the Reign producers and someone in the CW mgmt. team. Then you’ll (and all of us) will know why Reign **cannot** be canceled.

10. Coach Taylor says:

The Blacklist is going to die on Thursday nights, sad that NBC ruined what they had. MOVE IT BACK NEXT YEAR!!

• Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know what NBC is planning to do with The Blacklist whether or not if the series is going to move back to Mondays or some other night except Fridays. NBC’s Thursday night line-up continues to be a “black hole” for the past several years especially the comedy block that they had since then and I really hope that next season may turn things around going up against the return of Thursday Night Football on CBS coming this September. Blacklist is what I care about the most and it still has the 24 style formula in it.

• Nero tTVf says:

Agreed. NBC has a job to do here – either get Blacklist some help on Thursday, or move that show out of the way and keep it going elsewhere.

We’ll know (all of us) for sure in a couple of weeks at Upfront in NY – week of May 10th? NBC really didn’t think this all out – shame on them. Moving Blacklist (or any show of merit on the network) to Thursday required a series of like moves to help give Blacklist support once it got to Thursday. NBC did nothing… again.

Solution. NBC has some mojo with their ‘Chicago’ series – Fire, PD and soon Med. Two of those series need to move into Thursday to help out Blacklist this fall. Failure to do that will require NBC to wave the white flag and move Blacklist elsewhere. NBC will then basically have what on Thursday nights – Biggest Loser and Dateline.

Thursday nights are the most important night of the week on television. RIP NBC.

11. Pat says:

I have watched this show from the beginning and yes, I will be there until the end. I have watched some of the other main characters on this show, when they passed away and I cried. As I watched Derrick passing away and Meridith keeping her hand on his chest to feel that last heartbeat, I once again cried and felt at the same time, a tremendous loss of this character from Grey’s Anatomy.

• Ray says:

I wasn’t moved to tears but I did feel the loss of the character that I’ve spent the past decade of my life watching ad getting to know. Some TV deaths are inconsequential and then there are others that hit you much harder, because you’ve truly come to believe in the existence of this person.

12. carmen says:

going to miss him he play a major roll in this show.

13. Danielle says:

They’re never going to see these ratings again. The only plug that should have been pulled last night was on the show itself. Here’s hoping ABC wises up and sees that without Derek, and especially after the Shonda penned insult last night to both his character and fans, they cancel Grey’s and put it out of its misery. Shonda and her complete lack of respect for fans needs to be knocked down off her thrown. Her ego knows no limits and its time she loses fans and face.

14. Donna Doherty says:

I don’t believe he’s dead anyore than Richard was dead two years ago. They repeated the phrase “if
    You can feel your pulse you are still alive because your heart is still pumping!” several times.
    We did not see him die.

• Joe says:

Jake survived 15 stab wounds , so anything can happen

• Nero tTVf says:

And Bobby got hit by a car on Dallas and lived!!! Derek comes out of a shower next season… Mer was dreaming the whole thing!!! Yes!!! :-)

Now, how’s that for getting ratings to rise next year. Derek comes back from ‘the dead’!! I like that!

Shonda, are you listening!??

• cyrano says:

Did u see the promo for next week? See it? Also read the interview entertainment weekly did with PD. Its pretty final. Unless they get another actor to play him… Its over.

• Ray says:

If there was any speck of doubt, the promo for next week with Mer declaring “Derek is dead,” to their weeping colleagues confirms the character is no longer alive.

15. Nicolás. says:

I’m a little bit worry. Scandal’s numbers were so great most of the season and it was actually one of the few shows that keep ratings up witch each season, but now they are dropping. This season has been by far better than the last one….

16. Susannah says:

I’m concerned about The Blacklist. I know it’s been renewed for season 3 but it just seems to be languishing on Thursdays. Yesterday was a fantastic episode, a real dramatic thriller, it’s too bad that it wasn’t enjoyed by more people.

17. Maple Leaf Momma says:

If P.D’s contract was due to be renewed, has anyone considered the fact perhaps
    he was asking for more $$’s. That’s usually the reason actors leave “cushy” roles
    with the “powers that be” knocking them off. Nevah to return !! Anyone remember
    McLean Stevenson and his fiery demise in “Mash”…??? He felt he had better roles
    ahead. Ahem !! I sincerely wish good luck to Patrick Dempsey.
    Time waits for no man and he ain’t getting any younger !!

18. Maggie says:

Personally I think Meredith might go search comfort in Alex, even though he’s with Jo. He’s the only she has a “familiar” bond with

19. kmw says:

Greys will get a bump next week but I bet it will drop after that. Too bad Bones didn’t do better it was a great episode

20. ninergrl6 says:

Reign, yikes! Glad it got the early pick up, but I’m bracing myself now for season 3 to be its last.

• Television Scout says:

Don’t worry – Reign will go on for years. You know more about this show than I do – ask the producer of the show why it keeps getting renewed. She knows. Nice to have friends in high places at the CW.

21. DavidSask says:

Scandal deserves its lowering ratings, people are seeing the light! Grey’s Ellen has been quoted as saying the role is a pay cheque for her, Patrick is rumored to have had problems with Shonda and his ego got big.

22. Debbie says:

Killing MCDREAMY worst move ever. I will not watch Grey’s again. You destroyed the show.

23. Leslie says:

Personally, my discontent stems from the seemingly utter lack of respect and decency in Mr. Dempsey’s actions and attitudes toward the other humans lives his rash behavior has set in motion. He may actually be a “McARss”.. Not so Dreamy eh?I think not. Hats off to Ellen Pompeo. Brilliant. Absolutely .

24. lasertest says:

I read this piece of writing completely on the
    topic of the comparison of hottest and earlier technologies, it’s
    remarkable article.