Grey's Anatomy Twist: 2-Hour Episode Pushes Scandal Season Finale

Grey's Anatomy Recap

ABC is doing some last-minute handling to its schedule.

Grey’s Anatomy on April 30 will now be a two-hour affair titled “She’s Leaving Home,” airing at 8/7c. This bumps the final two episodes of Scandal forward a week, resulting in both Shondaland dramas ending on May 14 in their regular time slots. Here’s a breakdown of what the next few weeks have in store for both series:

THURSDAY, APRIL 30
8 pm Grey’s Anatomy, “She’s Leaving Home” (two-hour episode)

THURSDAY, MAY 7
8 pm Grey’s Anatomy, “Time Stops”
9 pm Scandal, “A Few Good Women”

THURSDAY, MAY 14
8 pm Grey’s Anatomy, “You’re My Home” (season finale)
9 pm Scandal, “You Can’t Take Command” (season finale)

Your thoughts on this last-minute switcheroo? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Karla says:

Last week when ABC announced their May sweeps storylines, 11×22 of GA was only listed as one hour long, but now it’s two hours long all of a sudden. How is that possible?

2. Beckstle says:

Sounds like ABC wanted more new episodes to be airing near the end of sweeps. Good move.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Looks like the season finale of Scandal is now going toe-to-toe against the season finale of The Blacklist come May 14th.

4. Nitemar says:

Oh wow! so much going on Grey’s lately and not one single spoiler heard or read around these neck of the woods as of late..hmm.

5. untemperedtelevision says:

If anyone got their issue of EW in the mail today, there is a MAJOR spoiler about tonight’s episode so I’d advise against opening it till after it airs.

6. amysue4772 says:

Not knowing if the Derek rumors are true might actually kill me. Damn it for not airing here for another hour plus

7. thisismenow says:

So is there a chance he isn’t brain dead and he comes back next week? Or nah?

8. Judy says:

After the final episodes of greys, I won’t be watching any further shows Rimes you’ve just lost a fan!!

• B says:

I’m sure she cares, Judy

• I have a feeling that she will care after next week’s ratings are released. I’ll stick with the show until it ends, but I think that this death will cause more backlash than all other Grey’s deaths combined.

• Julie says:

Would’ve been better for them to leave together,mwithout killing him off. Why does she keep having to kill everyone off? “She’s Leaving Home” sounds pretty much like Ellen Pompeo is leaving too. I can’t remember when her contract is up.

• That would be a horrible way to end the story. I can’t imagine that she is leaving as well. If she were leaving, I don’t think that Shonda would have killed off McDreamy but would have sent them away together….alive. At least, you’d think that would be the case.

• Holly Wilson says:

I have watched Grey’s Anatomy since it premiered. I have not missed an episode and have all of the DVDs. I am broken hearted to see Patrick Dempsey leave the show. Where can I find his next performances? Best wishes Patrick & God bless you for all of the joy you have delivered to the fans!

• Grey's Fan says:

Patrick is racing. In two weeks he’ll be doing the 24-hour LE MENS in France. He’d doing another race this weekend, forget where.

• Not her fault, he wanted to pursue other careers.

9. Katlyn says:

Shondra rimes you just lost two more fans never watching any of your shows you SUCK SHONDRA

10. Cindy says:

I am not a happy camper that Dr. Derek Sheperd was killed off. Why, Why, Why? Please do not take anyone else. :-(

11. Is there any other time and day tonight’s episode of Grey’s anatomy 2 hour premier when Derek gets hit with the truck that people that couldn’t watch because of working and missed it! PLEASE! There has to be a way or online, please let me know asap please!

12. Shari says:

It’s old news that Patrick Dempsey was leaving GA. I was sad he died the way he did, but GA fans knew this was his last season. I just hope GA survives losing another fan fave!

13. Katlyn says:

SCREW YOU SHONDRA I HATE YOU

14. Frances Wilson says:

I WILL NEVER WATCH GREYS ANATOMY EVER AGAIN, YALL HAVE RUINED THE ENTIRE SHOW BY KILLING OFF DEREK!!! THE SHOW WILL NEVER BE THE SAME, I HATE NOW!!!

• Shari says:

You can’t be a real fan or you’d know that Patrick Dempsey had already planned to leave the show to pursue other interests. This has been in the news on TV for a year or more.

15. Holly Wilson says:

I am heart broken to know that Patrick Dempsey has left Grey’s Anatomy. I have watched every episode (more than you can imagine) . I have purchased all of the DVDs, and CDs. These characters are like friends. Thank you Patrick for the joy that you have given all of the fans. Could you advise us where your next performances will be? Rhonda, I think Grey’s will not survive this. God bless Patrick in his future endeavors!

16. YALL HAVE RUINED THE ENTIRE SHOW, I WILL NEVER WATCH ANY OF YOUR SHOWS AGAIN !!! BY KILLING OFF DEREK YOU HAVE LOST A LOT OF FANS, YOUR RATINGS WILL BOTTOM OUT THANKS FOR RUINING THIS SHOW

17. They’ve just lost a viewer…he was the only reason I continued watching the show…Meredith is morose most times…too dramatic. They keep killing off the better role characters leaving a void……

18. Candice M says:

He chose to leave 1 year early into his 2 year contract she didn’t just write him off it was his choice. We are all going to miss Dr McDreamy

19. Carol says:

The last episode was hard to watch but I thought it might still have a good ending. I am crushed. Feels like I lost a family member. I know it’s crazy but I won’t watch a shondra production again. Hope to see Patrick on the big screen!

20. Ange says:

it almost seems like this is the final season of Grey’s

• It is not the final season. Patrick Dempsdy wants to pursue his racing career. Shonda is an amazing creator and if you all are a true fsn of the show you will continue to watch. Some people choose to leave and she has to write them off.

21. CAG says:

Grey’s was a tear jerker tonight …… so sad to see a great character leave.

22. elcee says:

i really am not happy how they chose to end derek’s character. it is abrupt and sad and morbid to a point. i decided to stick and watch Grey’s coz i like merideth’s character and for the most part, i feel for her. so i really hate that she had to go thru the rest of her story with this pain and being a widow. the sad scenes was very cold and hasty there was involment from derek’s family, no alex etc by merideth’s side. sure it left a lump in my throat but now i am just upset by how they chose to end derek’s life and their love story. completely thoughtless i must say

23. Pamella says:

The whole thing sucks. Shonda lost her mind

• Apryl4611 says:

I completely agree with Pamella. In the history of nighttime TV dramas (I’m 64 so I can say this from experience) Grey’s Anatomy, ER and Dallas are undoubtedly the top three. If Shonda couldn’t create a better, less painful way to write Derek out then she has no business calling herself a writer. If we don’t find out next week that Derek is still alive, the whole 11 seasons have been for NOTHING! Seriously, this whole series has been about the journey of Derek and Meredith. She lost Cristina last year and to leave her a widow with 2 children who are too young to ever remember Derek is just UNCONSCIONABLE!Shame on you, Shonda Rhimes, for not doing your best writing when it counts the most.It has been 5 hours since tonight’s episode ended and I am still devastated. If you don’t resurrect Derek next week I will never watch anything you ever write again.Yes, another fan gone, gone, gone.

24. Courtney says:

Grays Anatomy is my family. When the time comes to end the show for good, rather than a movie ending, devote the time to have all the present and past actors come on the show as real people and talk about their experiences, real lives, and their future plans. That way I can say my good bys and thanks for the wonderful memories. A fantastic group of people and relationships. Thank you all.

25. Beverly Smith 770 Hawkeye Cove Memphis, TN 38109 says:

Grey’s Anatomy is the BEST show on TV. Derek was wonderful, but he has to do what is best for his career. Change is what true life is all about, so Shondra – keep writing. I never miss an episode and don’t intend to now. P.S. I do a little acting myself. Let me know if I can be of service. (smile)

26. Fred V says:

I’m surprisingly okay with the shift. If it’s *May* sweeps, maybe more than one episode of a show should actually air in… you know, MAY.

27. betty basey says:

I HATE IT THAT MERDER ISN’TWITH US ANYMORE!!!!THE SADNESS IS JUST SO MUCH TOO TAKE!!!I KNOW MCDREAMY WANTED TO MOVE ON, SO MAYBE CALLIE AND ARIZONA CAN GET BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE US OUR CALZONA SHONDA PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Joyce Rowland says:

#makeitadream #sayitaintso please! Meredith & Derek is a forever love…!

29. Kathleen says:

im so sad that Derick has left the show . I cried last night just did not see it coming. I have watched this show from the beginning and he was the one I least expected to see leave😞

30. Sandra says:

why bother watching Grey´s Anatomy anymore? Maybe next season Shonda will make Karev extremely unlikeable and then kill him off in yet another car crash/plane crash/shooting/bomb or whatever. This was a slap in the face for all the fans that kept watching the show even after Cristina left,

• Kaycee11 says:

I agree. I really am not interested in the show anymore. There are so rarely any happy story lines. The show makes it seem like hospitals are death traps. They think they are trying to be more realistic but I really don’t think that many people, and espec. young people, die from surgery and complications. You know, sometimes there are miracles and happy outcomes. And as if Derek’s family wouldn’t be around when they pulled the plug. Meredith was so flat and seemily cold. Sheesh.

31. Shonda Rhimes knows exactly what she is doing.

32. Jenn says:

Greys fans should all get together and make a pact to not watch anymore of this season to protest Shonda ruining it by killing off Derek! Maybe if ratings plummet Shonda might actually listen to us and do something to fix the show ( maybe even bring back some characters like Christina)

• Ms Eyez says:

Sucks, 10 seasons and the lack of
      respect given to Derek’s departure I can no longer watch. It took less than 15 mins to end McDreamy. 2 hr special no real funeral. R U Kidding Me !!!!!!! Soooooo Sorry to see the end like this.

33. Alexa says:

I just can not believe it about what happened to Derek shepherd

34. Diana says:

I don’t see a problem with that.. Love both programs, Grey’s Anatomy & Scandal.. <3 .. <3

35. Lulu says:

Read the Patrick Dempsey article in Entertaiment Weekly. He did not ask to be released, his contract included next season. It was a surprise to Dempsey & ABC that he was being killed off. It was a badly written episode with too many holes & unanswered questions. Really, the ambulance would take him to a little Podunk hospital when there was a major trauma center nearby? No other cars ever came by but a big semi comes out of nowhere? Meredith doesn’t keep him on the respirator until his family can say good-bye? Good bye Greys, it’s been a great 10 years but you just jumped the shark.

36. Betty Navarro says:

What the hello are they thinking I just don’t get it please let this be a lie and he comes back

37. Adonis says:

I might be too sappy or just vested in the fantacy but this was a real blow. I feel like I lost a dear friend and love stories shouldn’t end like this. I was a part of their life for 10 years…what a loss.

38. Connie Sewell says:

I don’t care what anyone says, every episode of Grey’s Anatomy this season has been better than the last and I can’t wait to see the next one. Best freakin’ show ever! I hope it never stops.

39. michele says:

Why can’t scandal have a hr season finale? Plz respond ☺