Arrow/Flash Spinoff: Mystery Hero Cast

Arrow Flash Spinoff Cast Franz DramehThe CW’s Arrow/Flash spinoff project has added a bit of Drameh, with the filling of its third and final new role.

English actor Franz Drameh (Edge of Tomorrow) has been cast as Jay Jackson, a former high school athlete whose pro career was derailed by injury. Now making ends meets as an auto mechanic, Jay will come to have a surprising affiliation to the S.T.A.R. Labs crew.

The original breakdown for the role, code-named “Mystery Hero,” described the character as a “regular, street smart guy who unexpectedly gains powers, and then, as part of the team, regularly quips about the insanity of the situations.” At the time, TVLine speculated he might turn out to be Static, Black Lightning or Black Vulcan.

Drameh closes out new casting for the as-yet-untitled (Legends of Tomorrow?) project, which previously added Arthur Darvill (Doctor Who) and Ciara Renée as time traveler Rip Hunter and Hawkgirl (aka Kendra Saunders), respectively.

The spinoff will also star Arrow‘s Brandon Routh (who plays Ray/The Atom) and Caity Lotz (formerly Sara/Canary), as well as The Flash‘s Wentworth Miller (Leonard Snart/Captain Cold), Dominic Purcell (Mick Rory/Heat Wave) and Victor Garber (Dr. Martin Stein aka half of Firestorm).

1. Joel says:

Is Roy crossing over to this project??

2. chuckiechk says:

when I first heard the “a former high school athlete, whose pro-career was derailed by injury”, I (like Ty below me) thought of Cyborg. But I’m almost sure he is off limits due to the DC Cinematic Universe.

• SteveO says:

And if he WAS hitting TV, I’m sure TNT’s TITANS project would have dibs.

• SteveO says:

Hmm, what about (Commander/Citizen) Steel? Not Steel as in John Henry Irons, the other one.

• Anthony says:

That’s one option I hadn’t thought of. I’ve been assuming this is how we get Static in live action, or maybe Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning. A variation on Commander/Citizen Steel would be “close but not quite Cyborg” enough to a) avoid conflict with the movies and b) get around the show’s original announcement that the three new characters would be ones never seen in a live action show before (Cyborg doesn’t fit that description, having been on Smallville.)

• Lea says:

Well, the TV universe does have the Flash…

• SteveO says:

Yeah, but that’s because the TV division follows the feature division’s lead. It has always been that way. That’s why WB TV could never use Batman on SMALLVILLE but Warner Bros. could theow a “Superman” movie (SUPERMAN RETURNS) out while SMALLVILLE was still on the air.

The feature guys make the rules, the TV guys get told the rules.

3. herman1959 says:

OK.

4. gov4u says:

Cyborg, Steel, “Static, Black Lightning, or Black Vulcan” as the article mentions, there was a black GL for a time. There were many street-smart DC heroes of that racial persuasion.

• Erik says:

DC/wb don’t have static anymore. All the milestone characters went back to milestone.

• Arya@yaha.com says:

Wrong

• SteveO says:

Why do you think that’s wrong?

• sladewilson says:

Because DC bought Milestone. Even though the Milestone guys bought back the majority, DC Comics still owns a minority share.

• I Googled on this back when the (then) three Mystery Character casting sides were posted to TVLine; the short answer is “because Milestone got back in bed with Warner almost immediately afterward”, via a prospective direct-to-digital live action “Static” series to be distributed via a Warner sub-unit. Oddly, the buzz about that project went dormant right about the time that the buzz about this Arrow/Flash spinoff project started heating up. For that reason, I had initially wondered if the two projects were being folded together somehow, but I’m not getting a “Static” vibe out of the Jay Jackson character, so perhaps we’ll see Static in direct-to-digital form after all.

5. ian says:

Static Shock?

6. Outraged says:

A new Firestorm?

7. chuckiechk says:

his backstory also fits Maximum (Maxwell Williams)

8. Dude says:

This just more and more sounds like a giant clusterf**k

• Not to me, it doesn’t. The lead cast and the production team all are solid bets to me – Routh, Miller, Garber and Darvill are all terrific in their own right – and in terms of ensemble superhero shows go, this premise and its potential sound 1000000000% more interesting than, say, Agents of SHIELD, which has its good points, don’t get me wrong, but isn’t the addictive fun to me that Arrow and Flash have been. I really like that they’ll be expanding the Arrow/Flash universe (that I already enjoy) in a new and different direction without cutting ties to its source materials. Three shows in the same superhero universe – maybe four, if they work things out with Supergirl – has there ever been anything like that on TV? As a lifelong comics fan, I couldn’t be more pleased or looking forward to this.

9. Mehvash says:

hmmmm i’m definitely interested in seeing what this all shapes up to look like.

10. Guys, Firestorm is composed of two individuals. One is signed for the project. He can be Jason Rusch, who fits the racial profile (and some of its background).

11. Bri says:

The Brave and the Bold would be a great title for this show!

12. Drew says:

After this week’s Arrow, I have changed my opinion of this new series from “sounds interesting” to “just stop making new shows and fix the ones you have!”
    Unless they plan to replace Arrow entirely, someone should be focusing on that mess.

13. Sam says:

I’m guessing Jason Rusch and he’ll merge with Professor Stein to be Firestorm since Ronnie Raymond is not in the spin off?

14. Emily says:

in brightest day, in blackest night…

15. titoveli says:

attack the block >>>>>>>>>>>>> edge of tomorrow

16. Lizo says:

Frak I’m excited for this show, whatever the heck it’s going to be.

17. Joey Padron says:

can’t wait to see which character he’ll play in the spin-off. hope they’ll give a good title for the show.

18. April says:

I first thought Cyborg but due to the movie I’d say no. Then Steel, but Steel did not gain powers he built himself the suit. And then I got all excited hoping that this will be Static, specially with the quote  “regular, street smart guy who unexpectedly gains powers, and then, as part of the team, regularly QUIPS about the insanity of the situations.” I say bring on Static Shock.

19. sladewilson says:

The description literally screams Victor Stone aka Cyborg. Athlete, life changing injury, mechanic… I mean come on, seriously? Black Lightning was a high-school teacher, Static wasn’t anywhere near an athlete. Basically he was Milestone’s version of Peter Parker. And Black Vulcan? Oh Lawd, please no. Black Vulcan was a bad joke for Super Friends because they couldn’t get Black Lightning at the time.

Please let this be Cyborg.

20. Claude says:

As far as I know there is no DC character named Jay Jackson. Chances are he’s going to become…… Jay Jackson, an original character created just for the show. Arrow’s Sara Lance, John Diggle & Felicity Smoak are all original characters they made just for show.

21. Hmm. As has been noted upstream, “Jay Jackson” doesn’t seem to have a pre-existing DC counterpart — but then again, this show’s Hawkgirl is “Kendra Saunders” in civilian life, and that’s not a name with any prior connection to the DC character either. Meanwhile, the initial promise of “three characters never before seen on a live-action DC show” seems to have fallen by the wayside. If that formula were still operative, Cyborg couldn’t be in play owing to the character’s appearance on Smallville — but indeed, Jay Jackson’s bio sounds a lot like comic-canon Victor Stone’s. (Then again, for some reason I am getting a crazy Metamorpho vibe out of this bit of casting news. Don’t ask me why, because there’s no logic to it whatsoever, but if this character isn’t either Static or Cyborg, Metamorpho would be my next guess.)

• Mel says:

Kendra Saunders is Hawkgirl in the comics and has been since JSA’s launch in 1999. She is currently Hawkgirl in the Earth 2 comics.

As for “Jay Jackson,” he could be basically anyone, and your suggestions make sense. I agree that those are likely options, but my guess is Jakeem “JJ” Thunder. It works with the initials of the character and the street smart description.

22. Evan says:

Wally West

23. Isaac Tercero says:

Robbie Amell (aka Ronald Raymond) the other half of Firestorm is completely left out of trailer for ‘Legends of Tomorrow’, why has anyone not mentioned that? In addition, DC fans know that there are two Firestorms in the comics. Since these amazing shows do not necessarily follow the comic books (which is great because it keeps me wondering what will happen next) and the fact that Legends will deal heavily with time travel it is very possible that Franz Drameh as ‘Jay Jackson’ is just a stand-in for Jason Rusch, the second Firestorm. In the trailer, they avoided showing Firestorm’s face, I don’t think that was accidental. I’m willing to bet that Firestorm’s new half!

• Isaac Tercero says:

One correction, they may have re-cast the part of Jason Rusch. I just realized this character made a cameo on The Flash.