Exclusive

Bones Sneak Peek: A High-Stakes Case Brings Out Worries — and Baby Talk

Booth and Brennan’s latest investigation on Thursday’s Bones (Fox, 8/7c) is quite a gamble.

With the FBI agent going undercover at a poker game, his wife/partner is understandably concerned that he’ll relapse into his gambling addiction in TVLine’s exclusive video.

“I’m going to be fine,” Booth tries to reassure Brennan. “My sponsor’s just a phone call away. I can handle this.”

Not to mention, he’s not going to throw away his perfect life, including the “little guy on the way” — yes, Booth definitely has some strong feelings about the gender of baby No. 2 — over a card game.

Press PLAY above to watch the sneak peek, then hit the comments with your thoughts on the couple’s latest challenges.

1. Georgia Madman says:

Snore……

2. kmw says:

Looking forward to this, despite reservations about gambling story. Apparently Hanson has always said he was going to revisit his gambling and they are going to do it. Booth is a gambling addict and while I wish they wouldn’t have started it this way I think we will eventually get good things out of this(Even if Booth and Brennan split over this it will not last long, they had to write and film last episode as a possible series finale, so I do not think they will be apart by the last episode) Nice to see Booth mention Parker again. Also glad Emily doesn’t have to hide anymore

3. Anne says:

Having Booth say this, I really want to know what excuse they’ll give for him to actually end up having a relapse. I thought he would gamble first then find out about the pregnancy, so it’s already too late, but now it’s just odd. I believe the writers did a good job with this storyline, so I’m looking forward to it, but this is my one worry. Do they give good enough reason/explanation for him to relapse?

• A says:

I think Booth hasnt dealt with what happened in the S9 finale and Sweets death, he buried that deep…he never even show any doubts about going back to work at the FBI after their total betrayal…we saw in ep 13 he still was affected by jail & had PTSD from that….so I think its a perfect storm of the above that makes him gamble again…I hope the writers dont demonize Booth over this down the line, he is a good man with flaws.

• Lois says:

In that little clip, I heard no mention of PTSD or Sweets. Just, I’m not going to throw it all away on a poker game…..but we know he is. It’s very sad that he’s going to do just that.

• A says:

thats because its an underlying issue, you do get that people act out in different ways & only when the root of the problem gets addressed can they get back on the straight and narrow? thats why people go to therapy, go to meetings…something is not right in Booths world, obviously

• Lois says:

I don’t know he’s having another baby….Brennan can see the dopamine effect when he just talks about it. He’s just an addict and he won’t be able to resist. In Vegas she was there to slap his hand. I wonder if Aubrey will go with him or he goes it alone. He just won’t be strong enough and he’ll lie. I agree that’s what addicts do, they lie.

• A says:

you seriously think that when Booth was in Vegas the only reason he didnt gamble was because Brennan lightly tapped his hand? If Booth had wanted to gamble he would of, he wasnt with Brennan 24/7 but he didnt gamble as he was in a different place back then mentally, he hadnt been nearly murdered, betrayed by the FBI, separated from his family, falsely imprisoned, suffered PTSD and lost a friend who he thought of as a brother…you dont seem to want to consider or have any compassion that Booth has been through hell in the past year, that these factors are prolly the foundation of why he starts to gamble now, why he relapses and why his addiction is front & center.

• He’s a gambling addict-that’s the excuse. It’s the same as sending an alcoholic undercover to a wine tasting. He should have listened to Aubrey and not done it. Booth saying he won’t relapse isn’t enough to prevent him from falling off the wagon.

• Anon says:

Why wouldnt Booth think he couldnt handle it, that he wouldnt relapse? He went to LAS VEGAS, gambling city of the world, undercover for a case and he didnt start gambling again…he has no reason to think that this would be any different…. obviously they are setting up the storyline to show that Booths frame of mind is not the same as back then, and he needs to deal with the events of the last year to get back on a even keel again.

• Anne says:

Well yeah, this is sort of my explanation, but I would like to hear them say it out loud on the show (although if they do, it’s probably going to be in later episode, not in this one…)

• A says:

yes in upcoming eps 20 & 21 we meet Booths sponsor and he encourages Booth to open up, to go to meetings, so that Booth AND Booth & Brennan as a couple can get to the bottom of his gambling relapse, only when that happens can he move forward…so you will get your answers, hang on :)

• Lois says:

Well I sure hope you are writing the story! How is he going to explain his Bookie threatening Brennan while he runs off to Iran. Brennan should have gone, she would have probably been a safer place! LOL I am very worried this is going to get ugly!

• A says:

TBH the part about the bookie is rather vague, just a few soundbite lines but when I read it I did go WTF, like really? thats a nasty narrative to put on B&B, esp shading Booth…. But the sponsor stuff I noted is true, Booth has to open up to the sponsor, so they can figure out why he relapsed, it was in the actors casting release for the character…plus the actor worked with both David & Emily, he posted pics with them, so the sponsor has scenes with B&B but mainly Booth.

4. Lois says:

This is sad. Booth knows how much he has to lose, but he’s not going to be able to stop himself. The excuse is, he’s just not strong enough? This doesn’t sound very good so far….

5. Ruth Ann Walker says:

Hey the writers have it covered…….Booth will do some gambling but Brennan will come through after the initial shock, and will be there for Booth….look what she did to get Booth out of Jail.

6. kmw says:

I wish Booth’s gambling was not starting like this because I think it is far fetched that he would be the ONLY one who could go undercover, but I don’t write the show. However Bones has made it clear he really isn’t over jail stint and the loss of Sweets. Just because Booth says his life is in a better place doesn’t mean he cant relapse. Booth will always be a gambling addict and even though they may not mention his PTSD we know that its there. When you are in the throes of an addiction, you do not always make great decisions, like Booth going off to Iran and allowing Brennan and Christine’s life to be in danger. Brennan has always known Booth is an addict but she has never seen it with him. She is also pregnant and has to think of her baby and Christine. Even though I do not like it is not unrealistic that she would make him get help and make him leave their home for the moment. I will not stop liking Booth because of this it is a part of who he is that until now we have never seen. Brennan will be there for him, even if it hurts him. Booth and Brennan will get thru this. No marriage can be happy all the time, and this is a big hurdle but not insurmountable

• anon says:

Booth goes to Iran to save Arastoo, who works for Brennan and is her friend…how do you know that it wasnt Brennan who insisted that he did so, that he was the best for the job? It is Booths job to protect & serve, he puts his life in danger everytime he steps out the door, Brennan knew that when she married him, thank god our armed service dont refuse to do their job just because they have kids or a pregnant wife, or where wld we be?….did you have a problem when Booth went undercover to Las Vegas, where temptation was at every corner? Did you think why was he the ONLY fbi agent that could go? I know for a fact that Bones Vegas ep is a fan fav, so I am guessing no. Why should doing this undercover be any different to that? He didnt relapse in Vegas, so why would Booth think he couldnt do this case undercover? Booth is goìng into this thinking his mindframe isnt any different but sadly for him it is due to recent events, he just doesnt realize yet.

7. Pink Ribbon Survivor says:

So apparently it takes 33 episodes to remember your son exists. Good to know.