Daredevil Renewed for Season 2 by Netflix With New Showrunners

Marvel's Daredevil Renewed Season 2

Marvel’s Daredevil will continue to fight crime in Hell’s Kitchen — but with new bosses.

Netflix has renewed the series for Season 2, which is slated to premiere in 2016.

Taking the helm for the second season are executive producers Doug Petrie (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, American Horror Story) and Marco Ramirez (Sons of Anarchy), who worked closely with Season 1 showrunner Steven DeKnight and creator Drew Goddard.

“While previous commitments unfortunately prevent me from continuing on with Daredevil into its second season, I could not be happier that Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are carrying the torch,” DeKnight said in a statement. “They were invaluable collaborators during our first season, and I for one can’t wait to see what they do with the show moving forward.”

DeKnight also tweeted the news:

1. MJ says:

Yes!! I binge watched all 13 episodes in 3 days. The show is awesome!!!

2. Ali Tuñón says:

Wicked awesome series-best news ever!!! ;)

3. Badpenny says:

That is good news! I had not heard anything about how well Daredevil was doing on Netflix so I was curious whether it had garnered enough viewers to get a Season 2. I cannot wait until 2016. :)

• Wordsmith says:

That’s the fun part of Netflix – they don’t tell how well any of their shows are doing in the ratings, so you just have to guess by word of mouth. In Daredevil’s case, I’d say that it has been pretty darn good.

• Joey says:

Daredevil has been getting a phenomenally positive response, at least from critics.

4. Steven says:

This was a truly awesome first season. I’m a bit wary about replacing the showrunners. There was nothing wrong with what they were doing.

• Badpenny says:

It is possible they simply had other projects scheduled which make it impossible to get to Season 2 next year.

• Jon says:

Yeah Steven S DeKnight said that he had previous obligations that would prevent him from returning. The new showrunners wrote some of the best episodes of the first season though.

5. m3rcnate says:

I want to know why the old show runners are out, because god did i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE season 1 (like … the perfect super hero tv show. Its now on my top 5 favorite TV shows of all time along with Fringe and BSG and Flashpoint) but i dont want any change of direction or change of anything in season 2. Same tone, same style, same everything…amazing writing! amazing acting! LOVE DAREDEVIL!

• Jordan says:

I think the orginal showrunner said he had “prior commitments”. The two guys taking over already write for the show so I don’t think anything would change all that much

• tyranthraxus says:

Rumor has it that Marvel have already tasked DeKnight with showrunning Iron Fist which is why he wasnt available here.

6. Jared says:

Daredevil is an amazing series. I really like the dark gritty feel of this show compared to AoS or other Marvel properties. Can’t wait for S2!

7. Joey says:

Must be a very late 2016 premiere if they’re still following their original plan to put out Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and then The Defenders to team them all up. I didn’t think Defenders was going to come out until 2017, really.

• L says:

They originally said all those series would be a year apart.. which had me worried it might be five years before we got a second season.

8. James says:

What happens of none of the other shows get renewed?

9. Michael Giustini says:

Happy it’s renewed, sad Deknight’s leaving. He did amazing work on Spartacus and I’m sure he contributed a great deal to Daredevil’s quality. Can’t wait to see what he does next. I wonder why they replaced him.

10. Mike says:

Joss must love this. So many of his writers and producers that he gave their first shots to.on Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse…they just keep producing quality television. He’s like a sports coach that has all of his assistants go on to coach other teams. A man who knows true talent.

• Drew says:

I think it’s just that more people know the names of the Buffy writers. There are good writers from a lot of shows that are still going strong, but most of them haven’t had the same fan following as the Buffy writers. The fans really supported those writers, which is nice.

11. abz says:

Great news! Love the show. I still have the last two episodes to watch but I’ve enjoyed it a lot. I just wish they’d give more focus on Matt and even Foggy and Karen. But overall great first season.

12. Wendy says:

Yay to the renewal! But to the new show runners: Remember the old adage – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

13. Drew says:

Glad to hear it. Daredevil is the first really high quality product of the Marvel cinematic universe. Let’s hope that they can keep it up!

14. FatherOctavian says:

Psyched about the renewal, but sad that DeKnight’s not coming back.

15. Luis Henrique says:

Any word why they are changing the showrunners?
    I mean, this was the best comic book based show so far! And one of the best things Marvel has done (considering only TV, it was THE best thing they’ve done) so far!
    Hope they keep it as good as the first season was!

• Marquis says:

Deknight has a prior film commitment, so he can’t do it. The new show runners worked on the first season as writers and producers.

16. D. says:

next big Villain for the new season will be Chef Ramsay

17. DocM says:

YESSSS!!

This turned out far better than my expectations. The fight choreography is extremely well done, the sound during the fights very realistic, and Vincebynt’Onofrio is just great as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin. He nailed it.

18. Rachel says:

Hella yeah!!!!

19. Maria says:

why are the Showrunners being replaced?

20. tvonez says:

Pretty slow moving but interesting. I’m no comic nerd so have no knowledge of daredevil but it was okay. No arrow but okay. I watched 7 EPs so far. Will watch the rest at some point in the future.

21. Given DeKnights twitter comment… maybe Marvel is bumping him up to handle a feature film

22. Tea says:

Whoa good timing. I was literally going to start it tonight.

• Tea says:

Also, I was under the impression the Marvel-Netflix shows would do one season each, leading into Defenders but I guess not.

Also maybe the Punisher will make an appearance before his own show starts? Please?

23. Well at least the loss of a showrunner is due to a scheduling conflict and not just executives being dicks.

24. tyranthraxus says:

Wow, not unexpected news but Great news.

wow.. thoughts for Season 2. Id like to see the Hand in some sort of payback for the death of Nobu. I think as a storyline that was quite a good one. Out of the groups in the Coalition, the Russians seemed the most .. regular group. THe Chinese and Japanese connections could definetly be expanded upon. Obviously if you do bring in the Hand, you can also bring back Stick (more Scott Glenn!)

Im not sure I want them really to go Bullseye … yet. Mostly because as we will get Fisk most likely, you dont want two very prominent Villains to be too clashing. I mean it would be obvious for Fisk to recruit Bullseye to kill the Devil.. but I think its a little too cliche here. Id prefer Kingpin to be back, but the Japense to really start to flood in to try to take his ‘city.

25. Dr. M says:

Sounds a lot like Netflix lost confidence in the original show runners. I can’t say I blame them. They could have edited out 5 hours and you wouldn’t have noticed.

26. Mike Q says:

I’m excited about this but I hope the change in showrunner works better for Daredevil than it did for Castle. On to Bullseye we go.

27. Dave says:

I NEED SOMEBODY TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW MARVEL AND NETFLIXARE GONNA BUILD THE DEFENDERS CROSSOVER EVENT! Jessica jones Will be on later this year, if they’re gonna renew it all THE defenders show we’re gonna have multiple season of each by 2017(year in which netflix supposes TO publish defenders)

28. CBWBDK1 says:

Great news! I hope the new showrunners don’t screw it up.

29. retsim says:

Good news.I really enjoyed the show and like some others sat down and watched them all over a couple of days .Just a pity we have to wait for a year to see how things are going to expand.

30. Cable Renewal Scorecard has not been updated with this piece of news, just letting you know :)