The Voice Recap: Muting and the Beasts

The Voice is not typically known for tough criticism. On any given night, the coaches’ critiques range from “Your vocal was smoother than a blanket made from a unicorn’s underbelly!” to “You took me through a dozen cycles of life, death and reincarnation (as a unicorn’s underbelly) in the course of a 90-second performance!”

Tonight, however, not only featured Xtina winning her umpteenth gold medal in not-even-trying-to-be-subtle shade-throwing (“Wow! That sounded pretty challenging! How did you feel?”), but also unprecedented cases of the show’s all-star panelists offering something less than hyperbolic praise to their own contestants.

Blake Shelton dinging Corey Kent White for a lyrical flub? Adam Levine noting that “in some ways [Joshua Davis’ risks] didn’t pay off”? Somebody burn some sage at center stage — because the ghost of 2004-era Simon Cowell may be haunting those beloved red spinning chairs!

In any event, it was a night of high highs (hi, Koryn) and surprising lows (what the heck happened to Joshua?) — a surprising gap in a season where the bench has felt as deep and solid as a California redwood for a good two months, now.

Anyhow, since nobody reading this recap actually tunes in for The Tough Love of Miranda Lambert’s Hubby and The Guy Who Sang “Happy,” let’s get on with my letter grades for Top 10 Performance Night:

The Voice - Season 8Team Xtina: Kimberly Nichole — Etta James’ “Something’s Got a Hold on Me” — Grade: A | As Adam noted, momentum is a tough thing to create in a reality-singing competition — which makes it all the more fascinating to see how Kimberly manages the task despite the fact that her trajectory from Kilimanjaro to Everest to McKinley (vocally speaking) ought to leave her with nowhere to go but down. The sparse, almost a cappella portions of her Etta James cover spotlighted the growly brilliance of her tone and her flawless pitch, and the complex soul jam also proved a reminder of her deliciously rumbly lower range, impeccable sense of rhythm and legitimate chance to take home the Season 8 crown.

Team Adam: Joshua Davis — James Bay’s “Hold Back the River” — Grade: C+ | Warning to Voice contestants: Never begin a performance in the dreaded, arhythmic SwayBot pit. Exhibit A: The typically consistent Joshua getting caught up with those ghouls, then betraying a nearly nonexistent lower register throughout the song’s opening verse. He fared even worse with the shrieky, “Look, Ma! The blood vessels in my neck are exploding!” final chorus. Blake slyly noted Joshua had been “pushed harder than you’ve ever been pushed” — the country coach delivered those stinging words almost as if they were a compliment! — but Adam’s discouraging remark that in some ways Joshua’s risk hadn’t paid off, came as close to “Actually, don’t vote for my team member” as we’ve heard in many seasons.

Team Blake: Hannah Kirby — Tears for Fears’ “Shout” — Grade: C- | I chuckled the minute Hannah announced her song choice — seeing how she’s spent most of her Voice run SHOUTING HER LYRICS LIKE A BANSHEE. Her “Tears for Fears” cover was similarly void of nuance, but with additional off-putting elements: A face that volleyed between tentative confusion and random grin; a tone that got painfully shrill as the song crescendoed; and an outfit stolen from Janet Jackson’s “Rhythm Nation” video (with a flowing train attached). We lost Mia Z for this?

The Voice - Season 8Team Blake: Meghan Linsey — Marc Broussard’s “Home” — Grade: B+ | I totally understood why Meghan got Standing Os from all four coaches — even if I didn’t find myself quite as blown away by her performance. Oh, sure, this might be the exact kind of music the former country chart-topper ought to be covering — a hard-charging blues jam that allows her booming, bombastic voice to shred and break (though never lose control). I just wish that on a song with repeated lyrical references to feeling the groove that Meghan hadn’t fallen ever so slightly out of the pocket. Still, the shift back to uptempo after last week’s melodramatic ballad was a wise one – and ought to keep Blake’s front-runner on her expected Top 5 trajectory.

Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne — Ed Sheeran’s “Make It Rain” — Grade: A+ | Just when I started thinking that this episode had been ruined by putting Kimberly first (thereby making the two hours that followed seem mundane by comparison), along came the Season 8 dark horse with a performance with more thrills than a weekend at Six Flags (and a free pass to skip all the dreaded lines). Kudos to Pharrell for some brilliant staging — a darkened stage with Koryn illuminated by just a few stark beams of light — which took away any and all distraction from the 17-year-old’s beautifully varied vocal. The kid has got insane range — her swooping lower notes in the verse proved just as potent and on-point as her wailing on the chorus — and there are more colors in her voice than a 64-pack of Crayola. Here’s hoping she continues gravitating toward unexpectedly perfect song choices — and makes Season 8 a truly unpredictable affair.

Team Adam: Deanna Johnson — Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love” — Grade: C- | There’s no denying that Deanna’s got a glowing, ethereal tone, but I still don’t think she has a real sense of what she’s doing with it. I couldn’t understand a single word coming out of her mouth during the verses — I know, I know, an ironic complaint coming from a Mia Z superfan — which, along with her vacant facial expression, gave rise to the vibe that Deanna felt no connection to her song choice whatsoever. The last third of the song found the striking beauty getting steamrolled by the band and struggling with pitch (thus, Xtina’s “That sounded pretty challenging!” put-down), an unfortunate turn of events for a gal who needed the Twitter save last week (and probably will again on Tuesday).

Team Xtina: Rob Taylor — Donny Hathaway’s “A Song For You” — Grade: C- | Ever order a simple sandwich and have it come back with a dozen surprise condiments? (Pickle relish, mustard, ketchup, garlic aioli, honey dijon, red-pepper jam, horseradish, sriracha, pico de gallo, awaze, Miracle Whip and remouláde?) That’s how I feel about Rob’s vocal performances. There’s just too much of everything all at once. And Rob’s choices on “A Song for You” suffocated the gloriously simple love song before he was even halfway through with it. I wish Xtina had instructed him to stay at the piano from start to finish, and insisted he keep the performance as small and contained as possible. But I supposed that’d be like asking a full-grown lion to give a gentle backrub to an elderly impala. At some point, it’s going to end up a bloody mess.

The Voice - Season 8Team Blake: Corey Kent White — George Strait’s “Unwound” — Grade: C | Confession: I didn’t actually notice the botched lyric that Blake so helpfully pointed out in his critique. As usual, though, Corey’s pitch had almost as many misses as it did hits, and he once again showed an irksome tendency to throw away the ends of phrases. On the plus side, there’s something very appealing about the Corey’s scratchy tone, and his choice of a cheeky, “dude doing wrong” anthem gave us a little relief from an awfully earnest set list.

Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks — The Goo Goo Dolls’ “Iris” — Grade: B | It’s telling that my least-favorite Sawyer performance this season still ranks him in a tie for fourth place for the episode. (This kid is soooo going to be in the finale — unless Pharrell assigns him an Ozzy Osbourne song and demands that he bite the head off a bat, or some such nonsense.) Still, despite a handful of iffy notes on the verses, “Iris” was pretty enough, I suppose. It’s just that, since his epic “Man of Constant Sorrow” audition, Sawyer’s performances have been stuck in a quietly tasteful, midtempo mode. Here’s hoping Pharrell lets the kid rock out — and explore the roots-blues colors of his voice — in the coming weeks. Variety’s not just the spice of life, after all, but also a good formula for winning The Voice.

The Voice - Season 8Team Xtina: India Carney — Whitney Houston’s “Run to You” — Grade: B | India was a curious choice for closing the show, since the Masterful Diva + Whitney Ballad + Pimp Slot formula had me thinking we were about to witness something on the level of Tessanne Chin’s “I Have Nothing.” India, alas, had nothing on Tessanne’s greatest hit — as there were some noticeable struggles on the falsetto edges of the chorus (and that final run), not to mention a feet-planted physical stiffness that kept me emotionally at arm’s length. By no means will this effort put the opera-trained beauty at risk, but I’m doubtful it picked her up too many new fans, either.

Should Be Bottom 3: Hannah, Deanna, Corey (Hannah and Deanna going home)
Will Be Bottom 3: Hannah, Deanna, Rob (Deanna and Rob going home)

OK, your turn. What did you think of The Voice‘s Top 10 performance night? Who were your faves? Who’s in trouble? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to expand on your thoughts!

1. analythinker says:

Man, what a great night of music.
    KORYN HAWTHORNE!!!, MEGHAN, KIMBERLY, and INDIA (despite song choice) are my favorites tonight.
    Now, I just need either Deanna, Corey, or Hannah to go home. While I think Hannah was good the second half, I just need more dynamic melodies from her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed on your picks for the most part. I wasn’t crazy about India because it exposed her weak top. Her top is flat out bad, and she needs to play with key signatures and melody reworkings to hide that glaring weakness. But yea, Kimberly, Koryn, and Meghan were all kinds of amazing tonight.
      My bottom three were Joshua by a MILE (worst of the night) followed by Corey and Deanna, though Deanna gets the award for most improved.

• analythinker says:

Joshua was bad (ouch), but I hope he sticks around for his overall work on the show. I don’t particularly like India’s first half performance, but she makes it rather different and not too karaoke-y. At least, IMO.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m hard on India because I know from her first two performances with NY State of Mind and Stay just what she’s capable of. She has the talent to win, but we haven’t see that IMO since the lives started. Something’s not working. I’d love to hear her sing some jazz standard. That’s where she would shine. Something Gershwin-y.

• Kaba says:

Ready For Love
            She’s got to do it.
            She’ll ascend to your standards once she realizes she doesn’t need to belt to be spectacular.

• analythinker says:

I’m not that big on jazz, but I’m not sure that would be great for the sake of the competition, unless she kills it, of course. But I’d agree that something’s missing.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I listened to her junior recital at UCLA on youtube. Two takeaways: 1) she sucks at opera. Not only does she not sound good at it, but it’s so clear she doesn’t love it. And you have to love it to sing it. 2) she is amazing at American standards. After the Bizet was over and she got to the American music, all of the sudden there was this huge energy lift and a twinkle in her eye. India’s voice was genetically engineered to sing that type of music. I know they’ve been done to the death, but she needs something along the lines of I Who Have Nothing, Somewhere, My Funny Valentine, Over the Rainbow. There’s gotta be something like that that hasn’t been spoiled by overexposure, and that’s what she needs to sing. She sounds ridiculous on that music.

• analythinker says:

Has there ever been any Barbra song at all on The Voice? I don’t recall…

• Jon says:

Angie, you are so right about India…she’s clearly talented but Koryn and Kimberly are outshining her at every turn. Tonight’s performance was B-level good but just not noteworthy, or at least not at the level she should be. Maybe something from Xtina’s Back to Basics album would work for her (i.e., modernized old-school standards)? Maybe some (slower) Donna Summer?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Babs could totally work. To my knowledge, no one has sung it on The Voice. I remember Amber Holcomb had a killer rendition of What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life, but I don’t recall it on this show. I remember for Chris Mann she did a better job of catering the song choices to his strengths. That doesn’t seem to be happening with India despite her insane levels of raw ability.

• Sharon says:

Oh, Gershwin, yes!! Last night’s song choices, for the most part, were bad. People singing songs that didn’t work for their voices, or were just boring. But Koryn…ah, my Koryn!

• secutorum says:

India has talent, but is almost too mechanical. Was not impressed with the Whitney last night. Was expecting her to blow me away, when all I felt was meh…

• Meme says:

Adam probably did in his only chance of winning this season with that song choice for Joshua. Why oh why don’t we choose songs that accentuate the beautiful tone and emotional vibe Joshua has as his strengths? Why would we want to highlight weakness and destroy the thrill of any contestant’s vocals? Joshua was so uncomfortable with that song choice. It didn’t highlight his beautiful voice, and there was no connection showing in his face. Joshua was one of the frontrunners until Monday … so sad for him.

• Lizzie says:

I hope he stays, because his normal singing is so good. I wish HE would sing “Song for You” and give the melody it’s rightful play. Rob was so bad that after he finished, I had to re-sing the song to myself as it is intended, just to try to get his rendition out of my brain.

• analythinker says:

Yeah. Sometimes taking singers out of their comfort zone is not paying off.

• shawnuel says:

Exactly my thoughts.

• Lizzie says:

Did you notice them passing the camera over his wedding ring? Last week or so, Christina had referred to his “fiancée” while doing her critique – he’s married with two kids.

• analythinker says:

I did not notice both the camera pan and Christina’s reference. Then again, she’s not the most observant person, lol.

• JT says:

Adam has apparently never heard: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” or “You gotta dance with the one who brung ya”. Josh was doing great, being HIMSELF, so Adam has to try to squeeze him into something he’s not.

And then to dis his own team like he did — he might lose both his singers tomorrow. As my 12 yr. old daughter told me during the show: “When you’re in private, you’re talking to your singer. When you’re on stage, you’re talking to America.”

Hopefully Josh has a lot of fans based on his strong performance prior to tonight and will get another chance.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Josh isn’t my favorite, but I have to admit his body of work should warrant him a second chance. There are worse than Josh, I agree.

• Lizzie says:

Worse than Joshua includes Deanna and Corey for sure. Those are the two who should go home.

• JM1 says:

THIS. Adam likes to mess with a winning formula.

And your daughter sounds smarter than most grownups I know, myself included!

• I wonder if it’s time for Adam to take a break. This has been his weakest team for many seasons, and I think I know why. Remember in the blinds how he had such a hard time convincing anyone to join his team? He used to be the master at winning four-chair turns, and this season he had the hardest time winning anyone over. I can’t help but wonder if contestants find him too risky, because rather than sticking with a winning formula, he tries to go out of his way to push singers too close to the edge of their capabilities. Send him to the roulette wheel with your money, and he’s likely to go all in on “00”.

• Greta says:

This has been Adam’s weakest team in any season.
            Hell, his is the weakest team that any coach has had in any season!

• secutorum says:

Agreed, Josh is strong, but Adam likes to kill his team. He did it to Matt last season with Over the Rainbow…. good lord man…

• Brian says:

Yeah, that’s the one tendency singing competitions have that’s most annoying to me — they overrate and overemphasize versatility in a singer. It can be impressive if an artist can cover a wide range of styles and technique, but for the most part, the singers I like most excel at a certain genre or have a signature tone and I just don’t give a crap if they can do anything else.

• Davey says:

I don’t how you can say Joshua was the worst with Deanna, Hannah and Rob all terrible. It was obvious Joshua didn’t want to do that song Adam chose for him.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Maybe because he couldn’t hit any of the notes? Say what you will about Deanna, Hannah and Rob, but they didn’t do anything technically wrong. Even Corey hit (most of) his notes tonight. This was not Joshua’s night unfortunately.

• Meme says:

As any veteran critic might say, “it’s all about song choice.” A vocalist needs to sing songs that highlight their vocal range, tone, etc. Why would you risk throwing a contestant out the window just to “challenge” them? Give them a song that will move me, make me rise out of my seat and go straight to ITunes to download their song!

• Puzzled says:

Yes, I think India is a weak singer with NO upper range which is glaring when you have a Kimberly on the show. I don’t understand why she sang a Whitney Houston song that clearly exposed that, and she got the pimp spot??? The Voice producers must like her looks…eye roll!

• MC says:

India has stopped using her vibrato (as noted elsewhere on this board) and she is an average singer without it imo. She has to re-introduce her vibrato next week or this party will be over for her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That was me, and yes. India’s toast if she doesn’t bring the vibrato back ASAP. She will place 8th in a season she should be top 5 or higher.

• Lizzie says:

Deanna didn’t do so well last night, and whoever dressed her in that beach romper, needs a new job.

• Joe Bush says:

Disagree, I listened to Deanna’s song twice and it was good and well sung, better than a few of the other performances. She’s a good singer and is getting a bad rap because of the popular opinion decided they don’t like her. Corey should have went home before her.

• JM1 says:

Am I completely nuts (yes I probably am)? BUT . . . Koryn’s singing just wears me out, and not in a good way. She just overdoes it for me – which is saying a lot with this group – and the vibrato to her voice is just too much. Is she insanely talented for a 17 year old? Yes. Adorable? Yes. Ready to win The Voice? Nah. A+? Uh-UH.

• Cathy says:

I give you that Koryn was good tonight, but if the world was a fair place, Mia would’ve won this whole thing—hands down. She has/had the best voice; she was original; she was/is a star. But since it was not meant to be, I predict Sawyer will take it all. And rightly so.

• Lee says:

Either Sawyer or Corey will win because the divas will cancel themselves out and by the end of the season, the viewers will have had enough of elevator music.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Lemme get this straight: Kimberly, Koryn, India, and Meghan are elevator music, but Sawyer and Corey are not elevator music? That’s an interesting argument, to say the least.

• Puzzled says:

In my humble opinion, if Meghan transitions completely back to country and sings well, she will at least be second place after Sawyer with the Blake Shelton bandwagon vote!

• Lizzie says:

If Miya had stayed on the show for even one more performance, I would have had to mute her – those dolphin sounds are so awful they hurt – it’s not singing to just go out and break some glass because you can. Sawyer seems to be the one captivating the room each time, and he sings because not just wants to, but that he has to do it, like it can’t be stopped.

• RedInDenver says:

Those were my favorites also. I loved Sawyer in the BLINDS but don’t think his song choices since then have showed off how good he really is. Similar thing with Joshua. LOVE his velvety tone, but song choices have been lackluster.

I have though all along that Corey was a GOOD (not great) singer, Deanna has been very inconsistent and Rob just bombed tonight, messing with a beautiful, iconic song that should have been sung the way it was written, without the ‘Huh!” and his falsetto tonight – especially the one at the end — was just over the top — too much.

• Ginger Snap says:

Oh, please send Hannah home. My ears are bleeding.

• Birdy says:

I’m with ya, Ginger Snap… Just ‘cuz a person can “belt out” a song doesn’t mean he or she is a great talent. I so wanted to see her give us a laid-back song, just to show us she could do it. But, maybe she just can’t.

• BCVC says:

Plus, is it me or is her stage presence ANNOYING?

2. analythinker says:

Also, would be great if you list Make It Rain as Foy Vance’s, Michael…

• analythinker says:

I also encourage everyone to listen to Foy Vance’s Live at Bangor Abbey where he debuted that song. It’s magnificent.

• akillesheel says:

I think Koryn said she was doing Ed Sheeran’s version, so I guess it makes sense that that’s how Michael lists it.

• analythinker says:

I understand, but it’s not much different, if at all. IMO, Vance’s version (and his grit) would be more suitable for SOA.

• akillesheel says:

IMO, there was a clear top 3 tonight (Koryn, Meghan, Kimberly in that order) and a clear bottom 3 (Rob, Deanna, Joshua least bad to worst), and then a blur of IndiaSawyerHannahCorey in the middle. I think Joshua was gutted by Adam’s song choice for him; his body of work this season is among my favorites overall. We’re at that point in the season where every loss is going to hurt, aren’t we? :(

• akillesheel says:

My bad, that shouldn’t have been a reply.

• analythinker says:

He’s justified to be gutted, but let’s be honest, people want something different for him. They would deem him boring if he does similar song yet again, so he can’t really win, can he? :/

• akillesheel says:

I don’t get this argument with Joshua. Sure, there are singers on these shows who sound like they’re singing the same song week after week, but IMO Joshua is far from one of them. His performances have been varied and distinctive, and until tonight, consistently brilliant. Why make him do something unnecessarily different from what we’ve grown to love? For comparison, nobody’s asking Sawyer to sing something upbeat, or for Kimberly to sing a ballad. They have their styles and are electric within them, and I’m not even a big Sawyer fan.

• Stephanie says:

…or Hannah to sing something that isn’t a full-on assault from start to finish! (I find her complete lack of dynamics exhausting.) I agree, Joshua has been one of my favorites from the beginning – let him sing what he wants! He obviously knows his own voice and is amazing at what he does!

• analythinker says:

It’s a singing competition, there are expectations, whether you like it or not. I myself don’t mind if they all sound the same if they’re great!

• MC says:

@Stephanie – ITA about Hannah. It’s all crescendo all the time. “Edge of Seventeen” was palatable, but I hated the song choice tonight as well. “Shout” is an abused karaoke bar song and it has way too many breaks in it. I actually voted for Hannah last week, but I won’t do it this time.

• Mford says:

I agree with you. Adam’s song choices kill his team. Pharell let’s them sing what they are good and comfortable with. I personally like Joshua’s music style. Hope he stays.

3. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

Kimberly and Koryn ruled the night!!! 😍😍😍

• MC says:

Meghan was also very good, but then there was a big drop-off after that. Sawyer was solid, but I was expecting more from India. “Shout” (with all the starts and stops) is just awful for a singing competition where time is of the essence. It’s one of the most dated songs from the eighties.

• JM1 says:

Meghan absolutely belongs in every mention of the top singers of the night!

• Jon says:

So true about “Shout” (which I love, but not for a show like this). But her performance did make me think that Hannah would have been a good 80’s New Wave belter (like Siouxsie Sioux). Or one of the B-52’s. If she makes it through tomorrow, maybe she could do “Roam”…

• Lee says:

That would be cool if she did Roam.

• Beemanch says:

I really like Hannah and feel like the criticism has been overly critical, but I do think she needs a song choice that is a little more current. As good as she would be at Roam I would like here to do something not from the 80’s.

4. Angie_Overrated says:

My baby girl, Koryn. My lord. That voice. Koryn now has the honor of making me tear up not once, but twice. That voice is special, and we will be hearing that voice long after this show is over.

• Kaba says:

I am disgusted with Koryn.
      A song shouldn’t be sang that well.
      She literally sang the sh*t out of that song.
      Just cleared all bowels tonight.

• I am west coast and have not seen Koryn perform yet! But she became one of my frontrunner favorites 2 weeks ago. Cant wait to see it! Her voice is so thick and raspy, I frikkin love it! She is 17 and I just love her! 10 more minutes and the voice airs here! Hey and there really is no other voice like hers on the radio right now! Its so beautiful!

• Kaba says:

She pretty much would win The Voice tonight if the finale were happening now after her performance.

• Kaba, about 5 more minutes and the voice is on here. I just cant wait! She is soooooo good! I started noticing her when she did, How Great Thou Art! Blew me away! Isnt it funny I didnt notice before that?

• Kaba Im almost thinking that she has powers that come through the tv and light us up! Im thinking Koryn has a chance to be like a new iconic (Like Whitney Houton) singer but even better,IMO.

• Kaba says:

I sincerely want her to.
            That voice is so good it’s borderline illogical.

• secutorum says:

Not in a million years, no offense. She was exposed for her limits tonight.

• secutorum says:

Am I the only one that thinks Koryn is consistently weak? Before last night, she did nothing but shout her lyrics without a hint of melody behind them. Last night she was awfully monotone. While it was her best performance to date, she has the most limited range of everyone on stage. At least I wasn’t screamed at for three minutes last night. Time for her lack of polish and range to go though…

• Michael says:

Koryn sang her face off. Nough said. Although, this has been the first season in which there were 3 A+ moments, and the first where there have been 2 different contestants that had A+S. On that note, Kimberly, yes please ma’am you belong in that top 3, as does Koryn.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’d be highly surprised if both Koryn and Kimberly make it to the final 3 together, but I would greatly support that outcome! I’ve always had Kimberly near the top of my list, but she officially took over the #2 spot from India tonight. I like Kimberly a lot more when she’s bringing more color to the music as opposed to all belting all the time. Tonight’s performances from those two ladies were absolute perfection.

• JM1 says:

I agree about belting out less, been waiting for that! (Now I need Koryn to belt less.)

In any case, Kimberly starting off her song laying back in that chair, in that outfit, was everything.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Koryn and Kimberly were both in rare form tonight by NOT belting their entire songs. That’s what they both need to win, IMO. It’s the soft moments that give meaning to the bigger moments. And as we saw tonight, it was the soft moment for Koryn that turned out to be her big moment.

• Michael H. says:

My obsession with Kimberly rivals your obsession with Chris Jamison from last season, but I 100% agree with you. While I love her hollerating at me 24/7, the dynamics and the extra color she brought were fantastic.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ha! I did come a bit unhinged for Mr. Jamison last season. In all fairness, there wasn’t much to get excited about last season, and I wonder how I’d have felt about him if he were on this season. Not even sure he’d have made it through to the top 12.
            But yeah, Kimberly converted me tonight. I’m with you.

• bobsaccamanna says:

For me Koryn’s song was the best moment of the season so far on the show, just wow, from the opening note she had me mesmerized, I turned to my wife and said that this girl can win the whole thing, and I think she can.
      Too bad about Deanna, there is a quality to her voice I find very intriguing, but Somebody to Love was not the right song to showcase that quality, and her nerves were on display right from the first notes of the group number. And despite the negative comments, I just love Hannah, at times she can get a little shouty but I like the tone of her voice and she is impossible not to like performance wise. Rob on the other hand took one of the most beautiful melodies ever written(and on one of these shows can we please give the credit to the person who wrote the song Leon Russell along with whatever cover version they are doing) anyhow took this beautiful melody and IMO bludgeoned it with runs and falsettos that didn’t fit the melody. Sometimes when you’re doing vocal gymnastics you fall off the high bar.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That one falsetto in Rob’s song killed me, Bob. Just killed me. It hurt me to my core. Rob should go home for that alone.
        So happy you came around on Koryn! If she can continue doing what she did tonight, the girl has this.

• bobsaccamanna says:

When she sings, especially since the lives started, I can feel her inside me, she has connected with every song she has performed so far, the girl obviously thrives in the live environment. And Song For You is one of my all time favorite songs, especially Leon’s version and I don’t like the melody being screwed around with lol, but that’s just me.

• analythinker says:

Um yeah. Just because he has great falsetto voice, doesn’t mean he has to insert it in every song. Weird placement too.

• JM1 says:

Hello? Chris Jamison and the falsetto last season that he and Adam pushed at us relentlessly? Just saying, haha.

• analythinker says:

I think the intensity is the difference here. And I don’t particularly like anything too much, though :)

• Lizzie says:

I find Rob’s performances to be a combination of boring, and so painful that I really cannot wait for him to stop singing. Koryn was a powerhouse last night, and she connected.

• MC says:

There were a couple of unrecognizable covers and Rob gave us one of them. This was his worst performance of the season. The song choice for Deanna was incredibly ambitious; that song has a reputation as being extremely tough for singers. Why not something more straightforward, such as “From this Moment On” or “You’ve Got A Way” (both from Shania Twain). There are old Cher songs like “Love and Understanding” and “Heart of Stone” that would have been great for her (although these two might be difficult to “clear”). This is quite possibly the end of Deanna on The Voice; I wish her the best of luck going forward.

• Birdy says:

Such a poor choice for Deanna. Girl’s got a great voice, and I’m sure we haven’t seen her use it fully. But that song wasn’t the one to do it. Sadly, she’ll probably be gone tonight. I’d rather see her stay and Hannah (“Shout” is right) go.

• Jon says:

Koryn was UNREAL. She is following Chris Jamison’s path and getting better every week. Baby girl sang her face off! Such emotion, such feeling. LOVED her. And she’s already at #8 on iTunes!

• Angie_Overrated says:

YAY!!! That girl is a legit contender now. I feel like she’s always been amazing but people weren’t noticing for one reason or another, but now they are. It’s singers / performers like her that make me watch this show.

• Jimbo says:

Reminds me a bit of Jordin Sparks too, coming from out of nowhere to possibly win it all. Same age too.

• I think Koryn is better than Jordin Sparks!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

KORYN is much better than Jordin Sparks! Also, Jordin won by unfair means! An asterisk should go by her name! In case nobody remembers, she was pimped all season!

She received the lowest votes on an episode ane they were shocked that she was leaving! So, they announced “FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, WE ARE GOING TO COMBINE THIS SHOWS VOTES WITH NEXT WEEKS VOTES TO DETERMINE WHO LEAVES THE SHOW!” Well of course she stayed and won the show! What bull! It robbed Melinda of a well deserved win! Same way Simon wouldn’t let Amoro go on X factor as he said he shouldn’t have eliminated her and he made a mistake! So, she won the show! Josh Krajjcik was much better!

Back to Sparks…after they kept her that way, I knew she would win! I believe she was pre-picked to win that year! POLITICS!!!!!

• Yes Jill, About Jordin Sparks, I also heard her fathers company sponsored the American Idol show.He was part of pepsi cola or something! So everyone thought it was fixed!

• Jill also about Jordin Sparks and Melanie Amaro, you are right! Both were cheat scenarios! Krajik deserved that title and Melinda deserved the other! Amaro’s 5 million dollar win. That first season that is what the contract paid. What a waste! And now she is rich the rest of her life!

• TC says:

I said the exact same thing last night while watching. She very much reminds me of Jordan Sparks-pretty unassuming in the beginning of the season but then bam!

• Sharon says:

Haha! I did more than tear up. I was full-on weeping. The performance of the night, maybe of the season so far.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Confession: I more than teared up myself. There were streaming tears. You’d have to have a heart of stone to not be immensely moved by that performance.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Just when I thought Kimberly Nichole was running away from the field, Koryn ran her down, dragged her to the turf, and then ascended into the stars. That performance was magnificent. Crap, I gotta go back and watch it again. Amazing.

5. Chi Chi says:

Koryn = Best performance of the season if you ask me!
    Meghan and Kimberly = Both superb!
    Those three standouts are followed by Rob and Sawyer. Awesome top 6 right there folks.
    I am on the fence with India. Definitely not a worthy closer for the night but she has greatness in her for sure and had excellent moments in the song, though it was uneven.
    Now let’s trim the fat that is Joshua (worst performance of the night), Corey (I like his tone but he is just not impressing), Hannah (I actually liked the verses but don’t like her voice when she sings high; sound unpleasant!) and Deanna (superb tone but she is not connecting sadly) the next few weeks.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Your bottom 4 are spot on. I’d be surprised if the actual bottom three aren’t some combination of the ones you listed. If I were a betting woman, I’d say Joshua is as good as gone, but I’m not sure how the second elimination will play out.

• Jon says:

Totally agree with your top 6 except I thought Rob was disappointing tonight. He started out great but oversang and over-embellished the melody, IMO. And that falsetto was ugh.

Meghan was under-scored by Michael–she was fabulous tonight! She hit every note (on a tough song) and was NEVER off-key. Melodic, powerful and soulful. I would give her an A or A-.

And I loved Sawyer, but I may be biased as I love “Iris” (I even bought it when Bryan Keith sang it on the Voice Season 3). I thought it was Sawyer’s best performance in a while. As for Corey and Deanna, the less said the better, although I did love Xtina’s masterful shade after Deanna’s performance…

• kevstar says:

This is the first I liked Sawyer, though it was prolly because I remember the City of Angels soundtrack. I think Adam screwed up his artists with song choice. He always seem to be more concerned with what HE likes, not what’s best for his singers, and it ANNOYS me. My top 3 would be Koryn, Kimberly & Meghan. Those bitches brought it. (In this case, the B word stands for Being In Total Control of Herself!)

• Carrie says:

Can I have that? Best version of bitch I have ever heard! India gets 4th bitch – as soon as she realized that mic wasn’t come off the stand and let it go she slayed it.

• Carrie says:

Kimberly – my Queen. Owned that throne, best performance (not just the singing) of the night. Stage presence of a rock goddess.
          Koryn – girl just sings from the very kore (see what I did there) of her soul and it gets you right in the gut. Pharell – you don’t just have to be Christian. Us stiletto loving music worshippers feel it too.
          Meghan – bluesy blonde brilliance – fried green tomatoes (yummy) covered in awesome sauce.
          India – did not imitate Whitney, did not need to – made that song her own and sounded gorgeous.

I would pay to see these 4 ladies live on stage. The Divas of The Voice Tour.

BTW if you listen t the snippets of Deanna’s iTunes – her tone is delicious. Curious what could have been had she been coached by Xtina.

• Smokey says:

agree Koryn best tonight. ——-Corey will survive due to Country backing.
      —- Hannah is probably getting toward the elimination danger zone. ——–
      Deanna connects with me, just by walking on-stage without singing ——-
      but, Adam keeps bringing-up and reminding us all, making sure America and all know,,,,,,,how he has pushed, pulled, re-trained, worked so hard, developed and inspired her, to get her this far. ….

6. Kaba says:

Koryn Koryn Koryn…
    What Koryn just did to that song.
    That was the equivalent to walking into the booth mid recording, shooting Ed Sheeran in the chest, then telling the producers to keep things going and replace his vocals.
    Kimberly was lovely, but that old song is gonna screw her over unfortunately..and going first.
    India…she has issues conveying a connection in a song.
    I sense she’s connected, but it doesn’t feel expressed to the crowd.

• Scott says:

I agree with you except that Kimberlys song and placement with screw her. Do you actually think she will go home? I mean I know we had a Mia shock last week, but there is no way Kimberly is going home. And that performance was superb, don’t care how dated the song is.

• Kaba says:

It’ll be a cold day in hell when Kimberly goes home for something like that.
        She still slayed.

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I don’t think she will, she was spectacular tonight and if she is in the bottom 3, then she is gonna dominate that save. Otherwise, please vote for kimberly at all cost!!!

• Lizzie says:

No one at our house was shocked to see Mia go home. Kimberly should stay another few rounds at least, and hopefully to the finals – I like her performances and find her to be charming and endearing, but her music is not what I would buy. I would watch her on any award show she ever performed on, though.

7. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

However, India and hannah were pretty solid as well!!! 😃😃😃

• Angie_Overrated says:

The folks on this board really do hate Hannah, but I don’t mind her. Not my favorite, but she’s not bad. There were some truly bad (Joshua) and middling (Sawyer, India, Rob, Corey) performances, and I felt Hannah was better than any of them. I know that no one will agree with me on that, but luckily I’m more than comfortable at my table for 1.

• debi says:

I like Hannah a lot. She has such an energy and her song choices have been songs I really like.

• JM1 says:

I’m definitely not mad at anyone who likes Hannah. But . . . replay her performance with your eyes shut. Ouch.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I get that she might not be your cup of tea, as Sawyer, Rob, and Joshua are not mine. But vocally I think Hannah’s not bad. She needs to learn how to dial it down though. That much I’ll concede.

• akillesheel says:

She’s a very talented singer; I just wish her volume wasn’t at 10 all the time. The mentors said it in passing, but nothing doing tonight. I didn’t think she was a C- at all; she was at least as good as Josh.

• JM1 says:

I youtubed Hannah last week and learned that she sings quite lovely when she dials it down. Why the need to scream (and dance) every single time on the show, I don’t know. The pressure, I’d guess?

That said, the cross-breeding of Miss Janet and Tears for Fears was a little strange for us 80’s babies!

• bobsaccamanna says:

I totally agree, I love Hannah and there were at least 4 performances tonight I would rate below her, but man, the top 3 tonight for me, Koryn, Meghan, and Kimberly were just spectacular.

• Cy says:

I like her too. Her performances are good to me. Liked the second part of the song better though.

• danin says:

I enjoy Hannah every week.She makes me smile inside.

• Davey says:

I admit it. I hate Hannah. I feel like all of Blake’s supporters are keeping her on this show.

• Cy says:

I cheer for the ones in team xtina and I like Hannah. Btw Never liked any Blake contestant. Don’t generalize people so much just because their opinions don’t match yours.

• Sharon says:

Hannah has won me over. I definitely want her to offer a nuanced performance and stop belting and smiling quite so much all the time, but pull up a chair for me at your table. I think Hannah has shown more consistency and vocal strength than some other folks in the top 10.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed. When you think about the types of singers who exit halfway through the top 12 on The Voice or Idol, they’re typically pretty bad (but not always). As far as non-contenders go, Hannah is one of the more enjoyable ones. For me (and you) at least.

8. Ron says:

Daaaaang, Kimberly. She did that, y’all! I don’t even know what to say about her anymore. She slays every single time. That HBIC is in a league of her own. Oh, and Koryn. KORYN!!! Goosebumps. And Meghan sang one of my favorite songs and KILLED IT! Liked India, but I really think India could bring the house down if she did a beautiful aria (as recommended by a brilliant soul here last week). Plus, Christina’s “polite” shade after Deanna’s performance was everything. I was like, “Oh snap” after Christina said it sounded like it was challenging. And then I was laughing hysterically when she closed out her comments by saying Deanna looked beautiful. For The Voice, those are Simon Cowell level insults. As for Hannah, I don’t care if the song is called “Shout,” I’m gonna need you to stop yelling at me all the freakin’ time. Hannah and Cory, #ByeFelicia

9. Denise says:

Agree with most of the letter grades except Rob was better than a C (I’d give him a B) and I think Meghan should be scored in the A range along with Koryn and Kimberly.

10. Scott says:

Whew Koryn nailed it tonight, and Kimberly of course (that’s a given). Need these two in the final.

11. Wild child says:

I like a lot of the contestants but Koryn was really the only one that did anything for me tonight. Man, does that girl have an incredibly powerful voice and you can tell she feels every lyric.

I think bottom 3 will be Rob, Deanna, & Joshua with the save going to Joshua.

12. lori says:

Koryn totally won tonight. Phenomenal performance! Overall a good show I thought. Loved Kimberly, Megan and India also. Definitely girls night.

13. Kim Moores says:

My eyes rolled to the back of my head listening to Koryn.
    I swear I felt the Holy Ghost in that very moment.
    I felt…
    Lord.
    God is a beautiful thing.

14. 2Blessed says:

Notes:
    Kim- Yesss.
    Meghan- Yesss.
    Koryn- YASSS.
    Winner of the Night: Koryn
    Honorable Mentions: Kimberly, Meghan, India
    In Danger: Rob, Deanna, Hannah, Corey
    Not So Great But Will Be Just Fine: Josh, Sawyer

15. Kim Moores says:

Kimberly and Koryn are an absolute necessity for the finale.

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I PRAY THAT THEY KEEP ON FIGHTING AND BE THE LAST 3 (with India) AS THE HOLY TRINITY!!! Also Kimberly MUST sing Seven nation army!!! That could shut the whole thing down!!! 😍😍😍

• Kim Moores says:

The moment India finds her spot then I’ll say she can be in the top 3.
        She’s a fantastic singer, something is just off.
        But the moment she finds her vein, she’ll be a demon.

• Scott says:

i feel the same way, Kimmy

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m hoping Christina is watching the iTunes rankings and realizes that the formula for India is broken. I hope there’s some serious soul searching that goes into next week’s song selection for India, because this upcoming elimination a week from tomorrow is the one where THREE singers go home, right? She won’t make it through if she has another performance next week like her last few.

• Kaba says:

They dropped that format.
            It’ll be another double, then a single, then another single/4th contestant save

• Temperance says:

I didn’t like India tonight. She needs to tame her vibrato because it is really inappropriate/annoying at times. She looks like a superstar though, and everything else is great.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I would argue the exact opposite, that India needs to let her vibrato rip. Her performances have gotten consistently worse since she started singing straight tone. Straight tone singing is not her voice, so she’s effectively singing in a contrived way that we can hear is not comfortable for her, and her performances are suffering. There are plenty of people who love her vibrato, and she should sing in a way that’s comfortable for her voice. If it feels like work, you’re singing incorrectly. And you can see it in her face and her body that the way she’s singing right now feels like work.

16. 2Blessed says:

The women Of Season 8 are SLAYING THE SCENE. Das it.

• Jon says:

SO true. Last season was all about the boys, but this year Koryn, Kimberly, Meghan and (mostly) India are KILLING. IT. The only guy who can compete is Sawyer.

So, final 3: Koryn, Kimberly and Sawyer?

• Michael H. says:

I think at this point I have to replace Sawyer with Meghan and then my Reality singing competition life would be actually complete forever.

17. missvci says:

Ever since their Knockout round battle, Kimberly and Koryn have competing for my #1 spot, tonight it hands down went to Koryn. And here’s my overall ranking:

Koryn A+++++
    India A
    Kimberly A-
    Meghan B+
    Sawyer B
    Joshua B-
    Rob B-
    Hannah C
    Deanna C-
    Corey D

I truly hope the power of Team Blake gets Corey and Hannah through again, one of them has got to go!

But honestly all I care about are my girls: Koryn, Kimberly, and India, as long as they make it through I’ll be happy.

• Scott says:

Personally I would swap India and Kimberly, but I agree with your rankings for the most part. India had a few issues towards the end vocally.

18. debi says:

Favs of the night- Koryn and Hannah. Not so good- Deanna and Corey. Corey seems like a nice kid, but I can never understand how he beat out Cody. I wished Blake had kept Corey. I know everybody loves Megyn and she is amazingly talented but I haven’t bought any of her songs and I don’t like her song choices. I love Hannah’s choices and her performances, but Koryn was the strongest tonight. Anyway, much better than last week. Thank goodness.

19. Evan says:

I think this actually was one of my favorite performance nights of the show ever. Some of the grades up top are a little harsh. Best performances, IMO, were Kimberly, Meghan, Koryn, and Hannah. Sawyer and India were very good. Corey, Deanna, Joshua and Rob are in danger.

20. Carola says:

Hannah needs to go now. Enough is enough. Who is voting for her! She screams all the time! That is not singing!

Best of the night Koryn and Kimberly!

21. Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

Wow, wow, wow. Koryn actually did a perfect performance. Emotional, spot-on vocals (I think I heard her go a hair sharp in about two places, but seriously, that’s as good as it gets for live performances), interesting runs and changes to the melody that elevated the performance, but without going too far off track. I think she finally got comfortable on stage and this is the result. I’m trying to figure out whether I thought it was actually better than Kimberly Nichole’s What’s Up and I think it might be (but not by much).

That said, Kimberly Nichole was incredible. Sawyer, as usual, hit a few bum notes, but that ending was so perfect that he’s still in it for me. I thought Meghan was good, but somehow I don’t see in her eyes the passion that the rest of her is projecting. India had a few good moments, but like Christina and Mark said, she needs to get out of her perfect mode. I think I’m in the minority when I say I loved Hannah – she was weird and it was right. Christina totally threw her shade, too.

The others were all not quite as good. Rob had too much going on for a simple song, Joshua was flat the entire song (but I thought it was a good choice, I think he might have been sick), Deanna sang well, but she has no stage presence, and Corey…it was just the wrong song. He didn’t embody it well and I didn’t feel like it suited his voice – it was a CWB song, and he doesn’t quite do attitude that well.

Here are my rankings.
    1) Koryn
    2) Kimberly
    3) Sawyer
    4) Hannah
    5) Meghan
    6) India
    7) Rob
    8) Joshua
    9) Deanna
    10) Corey

• JM1 says:

A Song For You . . . the more you try to do to it, the less impact it has.

• Smokey says:

*Koryn* is my #1. because she’s good and fun to watch. …..

…*Sawyer* ..because he’s unusual and it’s interesting to see how he’ll do a song, keeps my attention. ……..
      .. *Deanna* because she’s nice to watch, who cares if she sings………..

.*Joshua*.. great singer, but song was boring……..I’ve seen enough of all the rest, and all of them are fine, just not buyin’ or downloading their stuff. ………So I watch just for these 4 now —– and will probably lose Deanna real soon…… and so it goes, darn the luck..

22. OhMy says:

A Song for You is a Leon Russel song. Donny Hathaway did a cover of it.

• TinLV says:

That’s right… thank you for clarifying that… and yet everytime someone sings it in a competition.. it gets listed as “Donny Hathaway’s” A Song for You.. like he wrote and sang it originally.. I had never even heard the Hathaway cover, but I made a point to listen to it, . its good, but to me, the original is better and all the credit for this classic song goes to Leon Russell.

• akillesheel says:

It’s funny, because Slezak complained about this exact issue on Reality Check, like 2 seasons ago, but seems to have fallen prey to it tonight.

23. Angie_Overrated says:

Koryn officially broke the top 10 on iTunes!!! Go, babe!

And Sawyer at #12… #eh

• Angie_Overrated says:

People love Sawyer. I know many have articulated what it is that they love about him, but I can’t say I entirely agree. For people to say Kimberly sounds the same every week but Sawyer is a “genius” confuses me greatly because there’s a very formulaic way he approaches music that immediately turns me off. Every song sounds identical to me, with the one exception of his Battle Round, which was legitimately good, I thought.

• analythinker says:

I even think that battle one sounds the same. The only different song to me was A Man of Constant Sorrow, which I’m sure was chosen for the acapella beginning, to give early powerful effect to guarantee a four-chair turn.

• Angie_Overrated says:

lol maybe it’s because his battle round was the first song of his I really listened to which is why I’m saying that?

• analythinker says:

You’re referring to Have You Ever Seen the Rain, right? I think that one was a precedent for what’s to be expected of him, lol.

• Wild child says:

Are you going to use this platform to bash Sawyer every week? You don’t like him then do be it. Plenty of people do so move on and continue stanning for India and her goat vibrato who doesn’t hold. Candle to Whitney’s vocals. She has zero chance if winning.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Why don’t you go after all the people kicking, screaming, and hollering about Hannah? I’m gonna take a stab in the dark and assume you like Sawyer? :)
            I also find it adorable that you’re attempting to slam me for not liking an artist you like, yet in the same breath are trashing someone as talented as India. And for what it’s worth, India does not have a goat vibrato. You’re showing your ignorance, kid.

• Wild child says:

The difference being that this is the first time I’ve uttered a negative word about India whereas can’t help but knock a teenage boy every chance you get because your faves aren’t doing well.

• TC says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Wild Child! It does get old after a while

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’ve got a pretty simple solution: don’t read my posts if they so grievously offend your oh-so-delicate sensibilities. My negative comments about Sawyer pale in comparison to some of the other stuff I’ve read about other contestants on this board. If you’re going to go after me, go after their far-more-vicious comments.

• Michael H. says:

Angie is one of those people that I can come on this board and respect her opinions. She never gets too “bashy” as you are complaining about. There are many people that are much worse at that. I can see where she doesn’t care for Sawyer, and I agreed with her this week. India doesn’t have a goat vibrato, it’s just a fast and wide vibrato, which can be beautiful at times, as with her early performances. :)

• Cip says:

it’s kind of difficult to avoid reading your posts Angie, when the are peppered all over (and I mean all over) this board.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, Cip. Just try. Try. Try to get past comments about a contestant you happen to love on a reality show where I happen to not agree with you. You will have to dig as deep as ever, but I have faith that you too shall overcome these trials and tribulations. They should make a movie about your suffering. It would sweep the entire awards circuit.
            And I did a search of your comment history. Looks like you’ve been doing some Kimberly bashing over there. Care to explain? Cuz that sounds like you’re one big ole hypocrite, amiright?

• Michael H. says:

This week for me, I didn’t care for Sawyer. I actually liked Meghan and India substantially more then him.

• Jill Moy says:

ANGIE O,

We have had our differences but I must say this to these complainers; unlike me, I have never seen you “BASH” anyone! You actually have many valid comments and I feel you have many intelligent comments! I admit I’m a harsh judge and speak my piece which many don’t like! You are pretty respectfull towards the singers and if you aren’t crazy about a singer, you comment in a classy way! I’ve never been crazy about Sawyer as well but I just don’t comment on him! With my style, I’d have100 people complaing!

You aren’t crazy about Sawyer…..SO WHAT! YOU ARE ENTITLED NOT TO LIKE HIM! PEOPLE…GROW UP!

• Temperance says:

Sawyer’s voice is pretty much magic. Tonight it wasn’t as strong as usual, but he’s got the thing you need to make it.

• analythinker says:

Except for Koryn, it’s not what I expected: Koryn, Sawyer, Meghan, Hannah, India, Kimberly, Corey, Rob, Deanna, Joshua. Adam might really lose both artists and it’s totally his fault.

24. Stephanie says:

I love Adam, but he’s killing me with these song choices. He has two great, unique singers (make that three – Brian was great too!), and these songs are doing nothing for them. I hope Joshua makes it to the top 8 – he’s my favorite, and I know he’s got a lot more to give.

• MAB says:

Joshua is my favorite also but I am very worried about him. I think he is dead last on iTunes.

• connie says:

Josh got a bad song last night. Adam needs to let Josh stick with his strength. Josh is from my home state and he should move on to the top 8. Let Deanna, Rob, or Corey go home

• Stephanie says:

I downloaded the song on iTunes, and Joshua’s studio recording is SO much better than the live version. I still don’t think it was a good song choice on Adam’s part — the lows are too low for Joshua’s voice, and the highs are a bit too high. I’m glad to see he’s pushed ahead of Deanna and Rob on the iTunes charts and is gaining on Corey. I totally agree — I won’t be upset if Deanna, Rob or Corey go home tonight, but I would be CRUSHED if Joshua left.

25. Eurydice says:

Wow, Koryn was spectacular. Megan and Kimberly were pretty great, too. Hannah was fun, but exhausting. I love Sawyer, but that song just went nowhere. And I don’t know what happened to Joshua, a bad song that turned into a muddle. The rest can go home tomorrow – but I really hope Deanna goes first. She’s had so many saves and second chances and she still can’t pull herself together – it’s really annoying to watch.

26. Jacob Harris says:

The Voice should never do Elton John again. He’s one of those artists whose songs are almost impossible for anyone else to sing.

My favorites are Kimberly, Sawyer, Koryn,and Meghan in that order. Rob would be my number five, India and followed by Hannah. With the right songs Rob could move up. Deanna? Why Adam? Why? KImberly is a natural entertainer and you can see the love she has for music with every step she makes and I feel that way about Hannah also. With the right song she could move up. Her love of music is exuded in every awkward dance move she makes.

27. Matty says:

I agree with the Top 3 – I’d put Koryn first (slay girl, slay!), Kimberly second (werk girl, werk!) and Meghan third (rise girl, rise!). All three were fantastic! :)

If Hannah survives, I would like to see her stay away from the 80s and pick something with some tenderness or dynamics just to see what else she has to offer. I think she deserves to stay over Deanna, Joshua and Rob, who made some odd choices on the Leon Russell classic. Elliott Yamin covering that song on Idol many years ago is the only performance I remember reacting positively to. #bigshoestofill

28. JM says:

You gave Rob a lower grade than Corey and Joshua??? Michael, you need to get your hearing checked!

29. Cathy says:

If the world was a fair place, Mia would’ve won this whole thing—hands down. She has/had the best voice; she was original; she was/is a star.

• Jill Moy says:

MIA…THE BEST VOICE?????? She sounded like she had marbles in her mouth! Even Reba said she COULDN’T UNDERSTAND A WORD SHE SAID!

• MC says:

Mia Z was a top six talent this season imo. I very much noticed her absence on Monday night, especially during some of the less inspired performances.

30. analythinker says:

The poll (and iTunes) places Sawyer above Meghan. Please, that song went nowhere, plus he’s not on par with Koryn-Meghan-Kimberly. (I know, I know, I’m ready for the backlash).

• JM1 says:

No backlash – I’m with you on this one. He’s talented for his age, but still has a lot of work to do. I’m hearing a lot of same-old, same-old with him the past few weeks.

• missvci says:

I agree with you. Koryn and Kimberly are stellar, and Meghan is great but i’ll admit i’m not rooting for her because she had prior success and a huge connection to Blake. ( Pharrell was stupid to let her go though)

And Sawyer I like his humble personality and easy going persona, but he’s his performances have gotten worse while Kimberly, Koryn, Meghan, and I’ll add India continue to get better and better every week.

I just hope Sawyer doesn’t win the whole thing, all his songs are still charting in itunes and he’s sure to crack top ten again by the morning.

• JM1 says:

I don’t much mind if they’ve had prior experience or success . . . there are always a few each season who’ve been around the block and put records out . . . as long as they can sing for me like these singers do, I’m happy!

• Michael H. says:

I’m with you this week. A final three of Koryn, Meghan, and Kimberly would make my year. Possibly next year as well.

31. danin says:

I’m not seeing the poll..where is it? I thought Megan was an A,Sawyer an A, Koryn&Kim B+, Josh,C-,Hannah C+,Deanna C-, Rob what happened after he got up from piano C, Corey,C, India B-.

32. Davey says:

Unless Joshua Davis gets a lot of phone votes and support from his home state of Michigan, he’s in trouble. Adam really hurt him tonight with that song choice. Until tonight Joshua was selling well on iTunes. And what an awful song choice for Deanna. Meanwhile who is voting for Hannah? She is awful.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I just voted for Hannah. :) I’m not one of the (many) Hannah haters on this board. I half-like her.

• Davey says:

It’s fine to like Hannah. She just totally rubs me the wrong way. I know this is The Voice but I feel like every singer is being encouraged to scream and over emote this season.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, I get that. There are a number of singers people love this season where I’m like “huh?” but once you pass a certain threshold of technical ability, it’s all subjective after that point.

• sandy totten says:

I am voting for Hannah and she is not awful . She is one of the best on the show .

33. Jill Moy says:

It should be Deanna and Hanna going home! I laughed when in the past these judges, especially Blake says Hanna has KILLER DANCE MOVES! Is he smoking something?
    She is the most awkward looking contestant I’ve ever
    seen! Her dancing is comedy! Is she for real ??????

34. lu says:

KORYN JUST WON !! THIS GAME SHE IS A FREAKING MAZINGGGG…LOVE HER!!!!!

35. huh says:

I like Hannah, but that was truly dreadful. Deanna was probably second worst. Felt bad for Joshua because once again, Adam picked the wrong song for his contestant, but I’d give him a break because he’s better than that. But Kimberly and Koryn definitely took the night – by far.

• sandy totten says:

No that was not dreadful. That was excellent. What do you have against her?

• Huh says:

What I have against her is the way she just mostly shouts her way through a song. She seems a nice person, and perhaps she is capable of singing a melody, but for the last few weeks all she’s done is work her schtick moves and yell her way through a song. And that song choice! That song was terrible back in the 80’s when it inexplicably became a hit and neither time nor Hannah improved it.

36. lu says:

Koryn afreakin ‘ mazzzing…! She is #1 and HAS TO TAKE IT ALL THE WAY!!!

37. Rhodes X says:

I was stunned by yet another leveling up of Koryn. Other contestants keep getting most of the attention, but then there’s Koryn inching her way toward the finale.
    I feel bad for Joshua. I wish he’d survive for next week.
    I never really liked Sawyer and was expecting a bad rendition of ‘Iris’, but for the first time, I got swept away by the emotional impact of his performance.

38. danin says:

I’m bummed out.the poll is not showing up for me on my phone.It always had before.

39. Lori says:

Girls have it tonight. Still just love Kimberly, voice and perfofmance, Megan slayed it and new respect for Koryn, who I always felt just hit at everything, tonight was powerful and subtle. India, always a fav tackling Whitney and it was lovely, just need more guts from her. Please end this over rated Sawyer love. They ask for sincerety and emotion from all the others. Yes he has a good voice, but he is singing pretty words, he is not connected to song at all. He is totally boring me, yet he climbs the iTunes chart over others who deswrve it more. Please smart Voice fans, do NOT let him win this season. That would be a travesty. Go ladies

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed. I’d be pretty upset if a woman didn’t win this season. Between my Koryn (yes, my), Kimberly, Meghan, and India, the women are bringing it in a huge way. I don’t think the show has ever had this many female contenders. Sawyer looks to be the only one with a Y chromosome to have a chance, but I really want to see a woman win it this year.

40. Shawn says:

iTunes rankings thus far
    Koryn # 6
    Sawyer # 11
    Meghan # 41
    Hannah # 77
    India # 78
    Kimberly # 87
    Corey # 109
    Rob # 124
    Deanna # 130
    Joshua # 133
    This is according to the site popvortex.com so I am not sure how reliable they are. I want to point out that both Sawyer and Meghan’s songs from last week are ahead of Corey, Rob, Deanna, and Joshua’s song from this week. I don’t know if that is a prediction of how things will play out tomorrow night or not.

41. Chaya says:

I wish we could do negative votes. I’d vote all night to make sure something as awful as “Sombody to Love” is never done again!

42. SoVeryBad says:

Does Adam just hate his team? Seriously, what in God’s name made Adam think Deanna could sing Grace Slick? Seriously? That was far and away not only the worst performance tonight, it may have been the worst I’ve seen this season.

• gregk says:

Agree; I’ve been waiting years for someone to do Grace Slick but Deanna— no way!

• Birdy says:

Really! Agreed–what an awful choice for Deanna. She is one that you don’t want to push too far outside her comfort zone. In it, she has a lovely, strong voice (witness “Down to the River to Pray”). Why would he sabotage her?

43. patdamico says:

Oooo. I totally expected to come on here tonight and read all kinds of raves about Kimberly (massive talent, not a smart song picker… sorry, but people are not going to remember that tune tomorrow), Koryn (killed it tonight, yet has been uneven throughout the competition), but it was Meghan who blew me away! That Marc Broussard song is not going to get the play that some others might get, but holy cow, she sounded and LOOKED like a star. That is a *hard* song to work, and she was punchin’ that pocket and giving it incredible life. Go watch it again. Very, very impressive stuff that. She’s also been the single most consistent singer this season. I can’t believe I’m typing this, but I would be absolutely fine with her winning the whole thing. That woman deserves a recording contract.

Perfect song choice by Sawyer, and he did a really good job with it. I’m still waiting for him to have another “Man of Constant Sorrow” moment, though. Hopefully, he’s saving it up for the finals. Also, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Sawyer’s first post-Voice single is a custom made tune written by Tedder. Did you see how stoked he was about that kid? Ryan totally gets it.

I feel awful for Joshua. He’s in serious danger of going home tomorrow, and at this early stage, that would be so wrong. I am so sick and tired of the mindset that insists these singers have to show “diversity.” Time after time, the people who win these things (or the precious few who go on to successful careers), do so because of strong, identifiable styles suited to their individual voices. Joshua’s voice is so perfectly suited for a very specific kind of music, and shouty, come-to-Jesus ain’t it. I don’t know what Adam was thinking. He is so obviously invested in his contestants, but, geez, he can make some wrong-footed decisions, sometimes.

“As my 12 yr. old daughter told me during the show: “When you’re in private, you’re talking to your singer. When you’re on stage, you’re talking to America.””

True as the breeze.

• Megan Calder says:

Appreciate what you said about poor Joshua being forced off his own track by Adam’s song choice AND then being thrown under the bus BY Adam w/such oblivious tact.
      Whaaat?
      I’d buy Joshua’s records NOW based on all his performances PRIOR to tonight’s high register “payoff” notes!
      Adam makes him sing something as an “interesting experiment” (per Pharrell) OR forces an uncomfortable low register “in-key” just to get to impressive high register payoff in the end (per Blake’s comments).
      Whaaat?>> Deeply disappointed in Adam; as Coach, his comments and his song choice.
      Joshua should speak up and express his own true voice IF he gets past this.
      Voted for him because I really would like to hear him sing again in the top 8, 6, 4.
      Fact IS my top six (6) remain the same past three(3) weeks: Kimberly Nicole, Megan Lindsey, Joshua Davis, Koryn Hawthorne, Sawyer Fredericks and Hannah Kirby.
      SOoooooo wish Cody Wickline and MiaZ were still around to round out my top eight (8) tomorrow night.

• Davey says:

Agree with all of these except for Hannah, whom I don’t get. I don’t know what kind of artist she is except an energetic one.

44. NotVirgin Mary says:

Koryn gave me chills, tonight. Really just perfect song choice. That contrast between her piercing lower register with those gravelly, commanding belts made for such a beautiful performance.
    I don’t understand India’s song choice. Her head voice is very weak, blatantly so. She’s so close to being the frontrunner, but these song choices are just so bad for her.
    Pretty sure Josh missed more notes than Corey’s missed throughout his whole life. Ouch.
    I had no more shoes for Kimberly. I had to throw socks.

45. Jill Moy says:

Just because a person out sells anotfqr doesn’t mean they’rea bettqr singer! Britney and Taylor stink yet they have sold in the millions! Doolittle is great yet fasn’t done much! Fantasia…terrible has a great career! At least Norah Jones, who has out sold every female singer the las 15 years or so is fabulous in every way! Not many like her! Talk about connecting and a great voice….WHEW!

• Jill Moy says:

TOO MANY TYPOS….SORRY!

• Lizzie says:

How many singles a person sells may or may not mean that they are a better singer, but it certainly does mean that people are willing to pay money to hear them sing, sort of the intention of a singing career. If you don’t sell music, no one is giving you a recording contract.

46. Susan Tischner says:

Sawyer is by far the best singer.

• Birdy says:

I adore Sawyer, but I’m not sure he has the best “pure” singing voice. But he’s got that “something.” E.g., Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Rod Stewart clearly don’t have great voices in the traditional sense, like, say, Roger Daltrey and Paul Rogers (two of the best rock vocalists ever). But their stardom has been phenomenal. I still don’t think we’ve seen the total Sawyer “package,” and I want to see him do a song that’ll let him rip (I keep plugging for him to do “Readjustment Blues” by, of all people, John Denver. But that’s not your mom’s John Denver song. LOL. I keep hoping he’ll come up with another performance like “Man of Constant Sorrow,” his best to date, along with the duet “battle” performance.

47. ra says:

I don’t know who you are but your grading is way way off base. You gave a contestant a grade of c when he forgot the words to the song. At this level that is a D. You gave a contestant who arrange her own sound a C- when she was great. Your favorites are based on your likes, not their talent. Too bad.

The bottom three based on their performance tonight are:
    Deanna Johnson, Corey Kent White, and Joshua Davis. Instant save should be Joshua White based on his past performances.

48. Alan Dvorkis says:

Wow, 2nd time in a week Make it Rain has been done well. Brendan Thomas and The Vibes, killed it on X Factor New Zealand last week and again it was the song of the night tonight. Loved Sawyer again. Some of the minor changes he made were spectacular, although I am not sure the song hit his voice well, he still sounded amazing. He is an absolute star. Kimberly was the best of the rest. The song suited her voice well. The performance stellar. I did not think much of the others. India sang well but did not like that song for her. Meghan was totally invested in Home. It was her best performance. Elliot Yamin owned Donny Hathaway. Rob absolutely did not. It was a train wreck. The rest were entirely forgettable

49. TinLV says:

Where’s the poll ? .. Doesn’t matter.. I voted for Kimberly, Koryn, Megan and Sawyer. . I thought India was good, but not good enough and Corey’s song just didn’t seem to fit him; he doesn’t have the mojo for a George Jones song.. I wasn’t that impressed with Hannah’s song choice either.. I mean, I love the song, but it wasn’t the right Tears for Fears song to feature a good vocal; they had better songs. Rob did ok, but he lost me on the falsetto this time.. it didn’t work in that song very well. Joshua was just outclassed tonight. I had never heard “Make if Rain” but Koryn made me love it. Kimberly was her usual awesome self, as were Megan and Sawyer. It’s been a tough field this season, but as it goes along, the best are rising to the top.

50. Laura says:

Hannah is too manic. It’s one thing to have passion, but she looks possessed. Corey and Deanna are as interesting as toast.