Post Mortems

Revenge's Madeleine Stowe Confirms Victoria's Post-Explosion Fate: 'This Shouldn't Be a Complete Surprise'

Revenge Victoria Death

It was the blast heard ’round the Hamptons on Sunday’s Revenge, as Grayson Manor was utterly destroyed in a series of fiery explosions. But did Victoria really go down in flames, once and for all?

Unfortunately for all your Vicky sympathizers out there, the answer is yes.

“People have different theories about it all, but one thing you need to remember is that Victoria has displayed that she’s suicidal,” Madeleine Stowe tells TVLine. “There’s always been a bit of a death wish in her. She has a history of that, so this shouldn’t be a complete surprise.”

Below, Stowe takes TVLine inside the mind of Victoria Grayson during her final moments, reflects on four seasons of Revenge and gives us a taste of what’s to come in the ABC drama’s final episodes.

TVLINE | I’ll admit, I was surprised to see how it all went down. What was your reaction when you found out this was happening?
Here’s the background on this: I’m very story centric, and I felt strongly at different junctures that there were perfect opportunities to end Victoria’s story — once at the end of Season 1, but nobody wanted to do that. [Laughs] The other was at the end of Season 3, and I really felt her story was done there. I had a long discussion with the writers, with [showrunner] Sunil [Nayar], with some executives from ABC … and I said, “What is a compelling reason to bring her back, aside from just to bring her back? This is a perfect ending right here. It satisfies something for the audience; Emily got her revenge, put her adversary in the rubber room and Conrad’s gone.” But they felt there was more to tell, and they had the right to exercise that option. Going into this season, I really felt that it was time, so this was the end result.

TVLINE | So, is this the last we’ve seen of Victoria Grayson?
You’ll see some stuff in flashbacks, which will explain more about what her state of mind was. Some people feel that Victoria’s story hadn’t fully wrapped up, so there should be — unless something has changed — some very strong revelations which we shot. You’ll get to understand her a little more.

TVLINE | She’s easily one of the most complicated characters on TV right now, I feel.
[Laughs] I don’t know about on TV, but certainly on this show. She has a very difficult history that we haven’t been able to tap into too often. The show really revolves around this little girl who grew up to exact revenge and the pain my character inflicted on her. So you may not sympathize with Victoria, but you will understand more about what drove her in the coming episodes. You’ll also know why she was suicidal; boarding that plane in Season 1 was essentially an act of suicide, because she knew there was a chance it would be blown up.

TVLINE | Forget Emily. It sounds like you‘re Victoria’s greatest threat, wanting her dead so many times.
I did feel that. This storyline could only go so far, unless you were going to take a radical departure — and what would that be? That David Clarke was a bad guy? I don’t think they’d ever do that.

TVLINE | You probably never expected you’d get an entire season to act out Victoria and David’s story in real time. How was that this year with James Tupper?
I love working with James. He’s a romantic, and what was interesting was that he truly believed his character was in love with Victoria. I was like, “No, I don’t think that’s what they’re doing.” There was some back and forth about the nature of that relationship; I think ABC felt very strongly about the kind of show they believed in making, and it was successful for them, and they know their audience really well. Veering from that would have been unsettling, and for good reason. Making David Clarke a bad guy would upset the balance of everything.

TVLINE | ABC hasn’t officially confirmed this to be the last season. Will people feel satisfied with the finale, either way? What kind of closure is there?
I don’t know, it’s hard to tell. You don’t know until the end product is done. A lot of fans will find closure. The only thing I can tell you is that Amanda can never shake Victoria. These two are going to be put together for good.

TVLINE | Well, the finale is called “Two Graves,” so that just made it even more ominous.
There’s a lot of sweetness in it, too. I guess it depends whose prism you’re viewing the show through. I happen to love Victoria. I loved her on the page, and I think there’s a lot that’s really telling about her. She made the decision to betray David because her son was being threatened, and that’s not something a lot of people pay attention to. She’s the villainess, and people are so emotionally invested in Amanda Clarke, so they can’t step back and see the other side. I get her, and I understand why she would view Amanda as the enemy all the way to her grave. She’s determined to go to the grave and take Amanda with her.

TVLINE | Looking back on your time in the Hamptons, do you have a favorite memory or storyline?
There are a couple. I really loved the arc and progression in Season 1. She started as a very conflicted woman. She felt terrible about the things she did to David; they really haunted her. But she was also very protective of her environment. I loved that she was trying to purge herself of her dark history, and take Conrad down in the process. I thought the season finale, when she boarded that plane, was very breathtaking. … There were also things Victoria did that I didn’t necessarily agree with as Madeleine, but they served the story in a terrific way — like when she went so crazy that she killed Aiden. That helped to push the story of Revenge to its zenith.

TVLINE | Lastly, since we’re laying Victoria to rest once and for all, what should we put on her tombstone?
I think she would never try to explain herself. “There are no answers.” That’s it. Or maybe, “Why ask why?” I tend to explain her a lot, but Victoria has never been a woman who tried to explain herself.

Revenge fans, are you surprised to learn that Victoria is, in fact, dead? And how do you hope the rest of the season plays out? Drop a comment with all of your thoughts below.

1. luke says:

If this turns out to be “the old switcheroo” this show will be good for one thing and one thing only. Something to poop on!!!

• TV Gord says:

Perhaps next season it will come back as “Triumph, The Revengeful Dog”.

• Arya@yaha.com says:

If Vicky is dead, the show needs to end. I cannot imagine a season of Revenge without Ms. Grayson. Next to Emanda….she IS the show. The show is a greek tragedy, so it can only end with David and/or Amanda dying too…maybe end it all with Charlotte starting her own vendetta.

2. TV Gord says:

ABC may not be confirming that this is the final season, but here in Canada, City-TV is promoting these as the final episodes (so perhaps they know something that we don’t know yet).

• Dude says:

Everything I’ve read says that if the show were to be renewed, it would need to be as a completely different series. I don’t know why ABC isn’t announcing it as the series finale but everything seems to suggest it is.

• Cass says:

ABC has announced the finale as a finale instead of a season finale. I think that is proof that the end is fast approaching.

3. Jenna says:

Good interview. I love when actors are committed to good storytelling. They give a character life, and know when it’s time to go.
    Great job, Ms. Stowe! Looking forward to seeing you in another venture.

4. Matt C. says:

This was a fantastic read. I find it quite satisfying when an actor really makes an effort to understand his or her character, and it’s clear that Madeleine truly “gets” Victoria. I also find it interesting that she actually asked The Powers That Be why the show needed to continue after the season 3 finale, which many fans had wondered as well. Madeleine calls herself “story-centric”, and it’s obvious that she is, because she would have rather ended Victoria’s arc after season 1 (or season 3) and go out on top creatively than just drag it out for the sake of keeping the show going, which is what inevitably happened, unfortunately.

Very excited to see the final 3 episodes now that I know Victoria will still pop up, even if just in flashbacks.

• Sandy Moschetti Young says:

Sounds like this is the end to Revenge, it has really been a great show. SO excited to see the end results. Love this shie

5. cyrano says:

This show started out great but was bogged down by the fact that the people in charge let their success get to their heads and tried to over do it. There was a clear goal in Season 1. That should have been the aim for all seasons. The fact that Victoria dies is good to me because at this point that’s the best fate for her. Its poetic almost. But the problem with that is what’s next? Mason, Loise and Margaux-away are hardly anything that would make for nail biting drama. Emily can scare and threaten Mason away. Commit Louise and band together with Nolan (who is no fan of Margaux) and buy her out of Le Marchal. So what’s the bait?

6. If that’s not the nail in the coffin, I don’t know what is! If she’s really gone, there really isn’t anybody left to match Ems/Amanda. I don’t see how a 5th season would make sense. I know in the aftermath Margaux and Louise will be pissed, but please…that would be child’s play for Ems/Amanda.

7. Ruth says:

I still don’t want the show canceled!

• I don’t either, but there really is no story left to tell.

• max says:

I totally get this feeling! Revenge is like a Mars bars.. full of nutty storylines and not too good to consume in more-than-required quantity… but it’s such a guilty pleasure that i never want to end. But I would be happy if this drama gives me a satisfying end to all untied strings.

Madeleine Stowe, you are undoubtedly the queen of playing ice queen! Bravo on a fantastic run and Thank you for giving us such a role to remember, love and lovingly detest!

• mediaanon says:

Just consider the finale a series finale and you won’t have to since it already feels like it’s wrapping up.

8. Fred says:

What a great interview! I love the actress, but I also like that Victoria is really dead, excactly because of the reasons Madeleine mentions. She really knows a lot about the show and her characters, and I like her point of view. I agree with her on what she says.

9. Luli101 says:

This was a truly dramatic exit for such a forceful character. Ms. Stowe was the reason I watched Revenge in the beginning. She brought Victoria Grayson to life like no one else could have. Fantastic actress who could communicate volumes with a subtle eye twitch.

• Deborah says:

Madeleine Stowe was the reason I started watching Revenge too. I always understood why she did what she did (except for killing Adien, but he needed to leave the series anyway).

10. Juan says:

I can’t believe Victoria is actually dead. Though she did deserve it after she crossed that line of killing Aiden herself. I’m still in shock.

11. Drew says:

I always wondered how she felt about staying on the show after its clear decline in quality. Based on this, I get the feeling that she was as disappointed with what happened to the show as many of the fans were.

12. Jimmy says:

Well, that’s interesting. Honestly, if this isn’t heading towards a series finale I don’t know what else they could do. Charlotte’s revenge? Uh, no.

• wrstlgirl says:

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s been confirmed that Charlotte comes back so watch her want “revenge” on Amanda for killing her mother. That doesn’t mean it still shouldn’t be done though. I cannot watch a whole other season of Charlotte vs. Amanda. Nope.

• mediaanon says:

Hell no, most of the interesting characters are gone at this point, all we’re left with is annoying/boring characters. These people can’t carry the show.

• mediaanon says:

Please no, just end the series, she can’t carry the series and neither can any of the new characters.

13. Niallerz1992 says:

Lovely interview. I love when Actresses and actors really invest in the character they are playing and know what their character would do or not do. And I love when an actress is against something a character would do and then see it play out and in the end the actress understands why it happened and sees it was a good move to go down that rout. Madeleine is an amazing actress and loved her as Victoria.
    I really hope she lands on another great TV series once Revenge ends.

14. pamela says:

so far madeleine stowe and josh bowman both wanted to be killed off and leave the show not a good sign about their faith in the show which honestly went off the rails for me after season 1.

15. Azerty says:

I can’t believe she is really dead…I have the feeling that in the finale Ems will go to jail framed for her murder but in her own will because of her guilt for Aiden, Daniel, etc, letting Nolan and Jack with their happy endings and David probably dead and last second badum tss Victoria is alive, enjoying her victory

16. Caitlin says:

Sooo its pretty obvious Emily/Amanda dies

• kiwirevengefan says:

Yes, if Victoria is dead then the other grave has to be Emily. It would be a fitting end really. I can’t see Emily ever getting a “happily ever after” ending.

17. Teresa Davis says:

I was floored that Victoria went out like that! I never liked Amanda in the Grayson Manor though, so I’m kinda glad Victoria took that from her. To me, the story is now closed. Without Victoria their is too much void to keep the series going. All the likable bad people are gone. The series should end on a happy note and let Jack & Amanda lay down their swords as to say “the revenge is done” and now were going to go enjoy our lives and raise a family. But that would probably be too boring. I don’t want to see it end with Amanda dying. That would ruin the whole 4 seasons for me.

• Diane Coleman says:

i agree. Please don’t let Amanda die!

• kiwirevengefan says:

They have pretty much spelled out that for Emily, revenge is never done. She can’t stop. The only fitting end is for Emily to be the other person to die (the two graves).

I would rather Emily dead than ending up with Jack, that would be so pathetic.

• NutsnBolts says:

I agree.

• Kris says:

I agree, Ems shouldn’t die. She has really been through so much because of Victoria. Her childhood had been taken away. Let’s not forget all that has happened to her because of Victoria. Let her have her Happy Ever After.

• Sandy Moschetti Young says:

I’m really going to miss this show. The actors are great. With so many dead, there isn’t a way to save it. Anyway the best to all of them, especially Emily VanCamp. I have like her since Brothers and Sisters. She is a great actress.

18. Well, that’s unfortunate. Clearly this show is on its last legs.

19. Andrew says:

Here’s my theory: They probably got Madeline Stowe to say Victoria Grayson is dead, because she is. However, is it possible that she’s alive and has already assumed another identity? Absolutely.

• cass says:

Good one. After rewatching the episode I feel like she faked her death ( although that seems to mean she knocked out her body guard, put her jewelry and shoes on him, and somehow remotely blew him up in the house). Knowing the other ridiculous story lines we’ve had it definitely seems possible. But I’d they found the body can’t they test the DNA and realize it is not her!!!

20. Tammy says:

I’ve enjoyed the show, but it’s time to end it. As long as “team Maraux/Louise” don’t somehow come out on top, it should be a satisfying. ending. There’s no way Emanda falls to the hands of these two; that would make zero sense.

21. heidi says:

My thoughts: Victoria has her revenge. She framed Emily (Amanda ) for her murder & she goes to prison for life!

22. B says:

Stowe deserved an Emmy for her performance in the first season finale, when she’s boarding the jet while that song played was EPIC! Revenge reignited Stowe’s career! She’s one of the best actress to ever grace the big and small screens

• Stefan Wells says:

Yeah, that was such a cliffhanger! Sadly it couldn’t recover from such an epic high. Also, that episode made me a fan of Florence + the Machine!

23. Diane says:

Wonderful interview! Terrific actress. I wish I could send a thank you to every one of the people involved in this series, you all have given me such pleasure over these four seasons and I had not expected to be so enthralled. However, I believed the show runner in Season 1 when he specifically told us that David was dead and not to be brought back. I started to feel that maybe everyone wasn’t really dead til the dirt or sea hit their faces. I spent some of this season expecting dear Conrad to pop up!! I just can’t help hoping that somehow we aren’t coming to the end of the journey. ( Frankly, I didn’t like David’s character on his return and it didn’t feel right to me) It seems like for most fans there are some false notes this season and like them, I would rather Revenge march off our tvs while still a “must see” rather than trail off being a “oh gosh was that on tonight??”

24. AddieM says:

This arc has a Sons of Anarchy feel to it, I can’t shake the feeling that Emily/Amanda is going to die at the end of all this. I really hope I’m wrong

• kiwirevengefan says:

I really hope you are right. It is the only truly fitting ending if Emily dies. She is never the type of person who would be able to live a “normal” life. Mason Treadwell basically said it all when he said she simply can’t stop her revenge. She has to be the other grave, it is the only thing that makes sense.

25. kn1231 says:

I don’t even think the show runners are planning for Emily to go down for Victoria’s death. I think what will ultimately lead to Emily’s demise (if that’s their plan) will be that thumb drive. I definitely think Victoria made copies of those files and while Emily got the original, I think the files will still end up with the police. This interview also kind of makes it sound like Emily is going to end up dead. If Emily does not get a happy(ish) ending I will be upset. Kill David, kill Jack, kill pretty much anyone besides Emily or Nolan.

26. Joe says:

Renewed or not without Victoria on I’m done after this season for sure

27. Amanda Victoria Thorne Grayson Clarke says:

Please. End the show already! No more resurrections. No more absurdity! Give it a nice and pleasant final stockade!

28. WHY! Victoria WHY.. its like she did it for an easy escape out

29. Mike says:

Calling it now: they don’t want to say it’s “cancelled” because they’re planning on ending the show as we know it, and then turn it into an “anthology series”, with different arcs, like American Horror Story.

• Lexy says:

Tbh, I’d definitely watch an anthology Revenge series. One, two seasons tops per plotline.
      Unlike AHS, I think different actors would be the way to go.

30. tyranthraxus says:

Will be interesting to see how the Legacy of Victoria continues:

i think Louise will be hardest hit… She will probably claim to be Victoria’s closest ‘friend’. I think Margaux will be .. well .. perhaps .. relieved isnt the right word but close that she can put that behind her. Louise on the other hand will feel slighted.. offended at something perceived or not.

Jack must get implicated or Ben trumphs up some charges and gets Jack sent back to the Hamptons. Nobody gets to leave Jack! .. ever! Ben probably knows he cant get payback directly on Amanda, so targets Jack.

31. Stefan Wells says:

You know, I think what I’d like to see is a special or a mini-season that details the life of Emily Thorne, the REAL Emily Thorne who gave everything for Amanda’s cause. Why was she so willing to sacrifice her life for a girl she hated at first? What was her past? WHO IS EMILY THORNE? What all went down in her childhood that made her think of Amanda as her only true family? I loved Margarita Levieva as Faux-Amanda. I thought she brought a contrasting energy to the show in season 1. She had such a mysterious personality that kept you guessing what her true intentions were. And clearly, she had her own mind and wasn’t just a pawn. She and Amanda complemented each other so perfectly and I would love to see Emily’s story unraveled. She was easily the show’s best character outside the main cast in my opinion. Who thinks this would make for a good special?

32. James says:

It’s too bad that if this was the story that more thought was not put into it. It’s similar to the death of daniel. They don’t know how to create arcs any longrr

33. aph1976 says:

That was a good interview.Yeah i think Victoria is indeed dead but i’m wondering if she starts to haunt Emily in a way.Plus if Revenge does end then in a way i think it’s fitting that Victoria got her final revenge on Emily because she’s dead and Emily can’t make Victoria pay anymore.Also Victoria may have known as long as she and Emily were both alive this war between them would never end.So in a way Victoria ended the war between them.

34. Es says:

I am so mad they are taking off Revenge I will not watch abc any more

35. Es says:

I am mad they are taking off revenge

36. Maryellen says:

Not happy Victoria’s dead. Best one on the show. Would’ve loved to see her get back at Amanda/Em at least once.

37. Dawn Isham says:

I could see Emily losing it if she loses her father to cancer. She lost him once and couldn’t bare to lose him again. Maybe sailing off in his boat together and leave it hanging. He dies and she sails on to the unknown! Ha! And forget the whole jack and amanda story! That lost its luster a long time ago!!

• Dawn Isham says:

Who are all these Victoria fans?? If I had to look at her one more show I was going to lose it! That explosion at the end was the bomb!! ( no pun intended) hooray! Bye bye Victoria good riddens! Long overdue! Now if they will just lose Louise and Margaux!!

38. MDC says:

Well this show has done something it hasn’t done in a long time. Surprise me! I would have never guessed they would have gotten rid of Victoria before the finale. Maybe I would have seen it coming if I would have seen these suicidal tendencies Madeline was referring to. Did I think Victoria had a death wish? Yes! But never would I have thought she would go out by taking her on life. I envisioned her putting up more of a fight. It kind of works given she pretty much had nothing left, I just wish there would have been more build-up. Seems they were just going for shock value. Victoria vs. Amanda had long died IMO, still I wish they would have gotten a last scene together. So what’s left to look forward to in the finale? Whether Amanda goes to jail for her crimes? Amanda vs Louise/Margaux? Only if these two die will this be worth watching. I guess I’m curious to see what Charlotte’s frame of mind is when she comes back.

39. Lori says:

I am so sad to see Victoria go. I think it is time to end. I would love to see all the flashbacks as to why Victoria did what she did. But I really want all the other characters to have a happy ending. No matter why Victoria did what she did, she was still so evil. And Amanda and her family deserve a happy ending.

• tyranthraxus says:

As soon as I saw the Chair in the back of the Van, you knew the game was ‘up’. Victoria finally couldnt see a way to come out on top AND be alive to see the look in Amanda’s face. Her final gambit was to sit on her Throne and destroy the place that had been the focal point for her family.

• Stefan Wells says:

Spot on! The chair was the sign that Victoria was going to end things one way or another. Here’s what we know about Victoria:
        1. She’s a control freak; it’s her way or the highway.
        2. She’s lost everything: kids, house, grandbaby, lifestyle, status, love of her life, and most importantly dignity.
        3. She never does things without making a scene.
        So, all these factors put together, it only shocked But didn’t really surprise me that she went out like that. Victoria played her final card against Amanda by taking away the satisfaction of watching her squirm into mediocrity.
        Victoria really wouldn’t have it any other way. She went out with a BANG! She went out on HER terms, in HER throne, in HER castle, with a smile on her face. The Ice Queen wouldn’t die any other way than to melt down in her domain. Well done, Reven8e. That’s the most thrilled I’ve been at this show in a while.

• tyranthraxus says:

Exactly. You almost feel a sense of loss now. Not just with ‘Who is gonna get more screen time? David, Stevie, Louise? Tony?’ but you wont see her deliver another line, or spit out a line with such venom again.

Its a strange feeling of loss and she did deserve to die imo.

40. Acquint says:

I hope she is dead because the “Victoria and Emily/Amanda feud” storyline is tiresome and boring. Victoria’s suicide and obvious subsequent setup for murder that Emily/Amanda will face for Victoria’s death is the last ditch effort of desperate writers to prolong the ending of what was a really entertaining show. So sad.

41. Hannah Craven says:

Amanda & Nolan could start a agency that uses their skills for good causes,

42. Lopez says:

She suggest that Amanda will be dying. I feel I just don’t want to watch anymore. If Amanda Nolan And Jack can’t end up happy together, I just don’t care.

43. Ronnie says:

I agree with Madeline that Season 3 would have been the best arc to end the series for Victoria. That finale with Conrad dying and Daniel framed for murder as well would have been the best ending for the show. Now they’ve killed off all the Grayson family so the show should be done.

44. mae says:

I for one am NOT pleased with the show ending. I have seen some posts where viewers have said it is time but I could have watched for a long time more. If it has to end the Finale should be 2 hours long. I’ve loved Emily since I first saw her on Brothers and Sisters so I will miss her the most! Whatever will I do with my Sunday nights as I never missed an episode of this show. I hope Emily gets another series!

• Sara says:

I hope this show doesn’t end! I have watched this show since day 1. I was also tired of the Emily / Victoria saga. I was disappointed that Margo lost Daniels baby. Still don’t get that whole storyline. However, I truely believe there is still a story here. Honestly, it’s like soap opera. I want to see Amanda and Jack get married on the beach and even though Victoria had Amandas baby parts cut out I still would love to see her get pregnant and maybe Amanda doesn’t know if its Jacks or Bens baby. I like the idea of Margo amd Amanda going at it but I don’t like Louise being a villain much less her character. I TRUELY HATE THAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THIS SHOW WNDING FOR GOOD! :(

45. Karen Zigerelli says:

I really wanted to see Amanda and Jack get together. He’s such a great dude and easy on the eyes!!

46. Maryann says:

I have not watched since the first episode of this season. It was just jumping the shark to let Emily have revenge on Victoria before the series end, and David Clarke should have stayed dead. Instead I have read the recaps and interviews. If Amanda/Emily & Jack get their happy ending, I may go back and watch the season. If Amanda ends up dying or if the series has a downbeat ending, I will be very glad I did not waste those 20+ hours watching this season.

47. eveline says:

Feels so similar to Emily’s plot in last season, when Emily staged her own death to frame Victoria and Daniel.

Won’t be much surprised when later Victoria is shown living a secret life in someplace else..

48. Ella says:

Honestly, I’m conflicted. I’m disappointed that Emily didn’t get to make Victoria live her life out in suffering, because that’s what she deserved. In that sense, I agree that Victoria’s ending in season 3 was perfect. That being said, this was a twist, and I suppose somewhat respectful to a character who never wanted to have Emily get the better of her. She wins but she loses.

49. iz says:

The show needs to end…Victoria and Daniel have been killed off. Just end it with Emily/Amanda and her father “riding off into the sunset”

50. Judy Jenkins says:

Oh, please continue the story. Her fight to save her dad, finding Jack again, and maybe happiness for Stevie and David. Nolan be happy with Tony (I think) not a woman. There is lots of lives to write about.

• tyranthraxus says:

As much as I admire your determination that the show goes on, with a show like Revenge, it can only really exist as long as its original premise lets it.

And the original premise was to Punish the Grayson family for what it did to Emily’s Family. Which has more or less been accomplished now. We are currently in the Epilogue part of the narrative where we see the results of all that has been done and where the Writers get to decide what the aftermath and effects are on those characters.

Bringing David Clark back sorta interrupted that Narrative, so they have had to introduce new characters to compensatte for a change in direction in the show.