Dancing With the Stars Week 6 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Dancing With the Stars Riker Lynch

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the producers of Dancing With the Stars were brainstorming the weekly themes for Season 20.

I totally understood the corporate cross-promotion of last week’s Disney theme, and the emotionally charged Most Memorable Year motif of the week before that. But I’m struggling to figure out the exact components that made up this week’s Spring Break theme, other than the obvious climb in temperature that we’ve seen since Punxsutawney Phil poked his head out in February and reminded us he’s useless.

Even though a handful of Monday’s routines revolved around beachy themes, most of them had absolutely nothing to do with spring break. A Viennese waltz set to Olivia Newton-John’s “Hopelessly Devoted to You”? A samba danced to Jason Derulo? For most of the evening, the disparity between this week’s theme and the actual performances was as jarring as Julianne Hough’s pink locks.

That’s not to say the most recent Dancing installment didn’t give us plenty to talk about. Here are some of the highlights from Monday’s episode:

BEST OF THE NIGHT | Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker (Samba) — I know, I know, I haven’t been very versatile in choosing the winner of this superlative in recent weeks. For the record, I had every intention of awarding the week’s top honor to Rumer and Val, whose bootylicious routine was sexy and energetic (if a bit frothy). But then Riker and Allison took center stage and delivered a samba which, not unlike the Energizer bunny, just kept going and going and going. Thanks to his time in the band R5, Riker has an incredible musicality coursing through each of his movements, allowing him to match Allison step for step. A few of Riker’s lifts were just a smidge too powerful, causing Allison to slip on the dance floor from sheer velocity, but I much prefer to watch a couple that needs to tone down its energy rather than kick it up a notch.

MOST DISAPPOINTING “COMEBACK” | Robert Herjavec and pro Kym Johnson (Jive) — After Robert failed to keep up with Kym in last week’s quickstep, I was surprised to see Robert tackling the jive, which is equally as fast-paced. Even without Carrie Ann Inaba’s condescending praise — “Let’s give him a hand for not missing any steps!” — it was clear that Robert still wasn’t matching his partner’s rhythm and grace. I give Robert all the kudos in the world for the enthusiasm with which he has tackled every number this season… but it might be time for him to take a page from Chris Soules’ book and really work on counting the beats in rehearsal.

MOST IMPROVED | Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson (Viennese Waltz) — Speaking of Chris, that rehearsal technique from Julianne proved to be Prince Farming’s saving grace on the dance floor. For the first time in a long time — perhaps ever? — Chris didn’t spend his 90-second routine looking immensely uncomfortable, trading in his usual tension for some real fluidity in the waltz with Witney. Plus, if Chris and Witney were safe this week, there should be no reason to see them booted in next week’s double elimination.

MOST ENJOYABLE | Willow Shields and pro Mark Ballas (Salsa) — Much like Sharna Burgess has masterfully adapted her choreography to suit Noah Galloway’s limitations, Mark has managed to create routines that are fun, creative and evocative, without ever forcing 14-year-old Willow to be too sexy. He pulled off that feat once again this week with a light-hearted salsa routine, which allowed Willow to shake her hips and show off her flexibility (that split at the end had me reaching for the ibuprofen), all while keeping things youthful.

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Noah Galloway and pro Sharna Burgess (Rumba) — Hear me out: I realize Noah is a total gentleman, and I understand why he didn’t appreciate the bad edit that his partner got in the rehearsal package. However, even if that irritation hadn’t been weighing on Noah’s mind, I’m still not sure the routine would have blown me away. I was expecting Sharna to deliver much more content in her choreography for Noah, but instead left the routine feeling that even less movement had been included than in past weeks. Perhaps it was merely the genre that didn’t suit Noah and Sharna, but this week’s rumba left a lot to be desired.

And now, the results:

FOUR COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Noah Galloway and pro Sharna Burgess
Robert Herjavec and pro Kym Johnson
Patti LaBelle and pro Artem Chigvintsev
Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Robert Herjavec and pro Kym Johnson
Patti LaBelle and pro Artem Chigvintsev

ELIMINATED
Patti LaBelle and pro Artem Chigvintsev

“I’ve learned so much about me. I’ve never done this before in my life,” LaBelle said of her time on the show. “I’ve learned a few steps, and I made a great friend in Artem. The audience has been supporting me like crazy.”

OK, your turn. Did Patti and Artem deserve to get booted? Which dance was your favorite of the night? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. ben says:

Miss Patti should not have been sent home. Robert Herjavec should have been eliminated. It’s not just that be can’t keep time with his partner. . He can’t dance. While Patti was bit the best she certhinly was much better abs thid should not have been her time to go home

• Patti La Belle is a bitch! She bought an English Mastif and decided she was afraid of it so she had it kept in a kennel all the time!

• Robert is doing great. Glad he was not sent home.

• Megan says:

Robert can keep time with his partner Kym, but off the dance floor, not on. That’s the problem with the pro’s dancing and dating the “so called stars.” I haven’t seen a star on this show yet. Unfortunately for the “stars” once the season is over, so is the romance and the pro’s pick their next victim next season. Sorry, but that’s the truth. How many pro’s have ever been in a prolonged relationship with any of their partners? None……

2. Angela says:

Trying my post again…
    Riker is so much fun. He’s definitely among my favorites in the competition thus far-I was surprised to see him even in jeopardy tonight, especially after his awesome dance last week (but hey, can’t get through a season without a “shocking” jeopardy result, right?). Love Willow, too-she indeed looked like she was having a total blast during her dance, and who wouldn’t? It was so cute and entertaining.
    I liked Noah’s dance myself, I thought it was sweet and romantic, but I can see some of the critique of it, too. And I do have to give it up to Chris tonight, he did a nice job. Definitely his best night of the competition so far.
    I also have to laugh at your “obvious climb in temperature” comment. We had a nice warm up last week in my neck of the woods, but this week? Much cooler-it’s currently 37 degrees out right now :p. Very chilly.

3. lauri5567 says:

Last week, I told a friend it would be Patti or Suzanne, and this week would be the other. Great ladies, but they can’t keep us with the younger ones.
    Bottom two – Chris and Robert.
    Top two- I can’t decide if Rumour or Nastia is the favorite.

4. Lorraine Cusato says:

I felt like Patti had a lot more rhythm than the guy from Shark Tank and Noah. Thought she didn’t deserve to go home.

• Citygirl says:

Agree, Lorraine. Patti is having fun. And with all due respect to Noah, he’s not that good. Chris and Robert are fun to watch and Chris has improved, but they are both mediocre.

• delfiteblu says:

Noah will probably be around for another week or two – remember, they have that double elimination next week. Nobody wants to see him go – he’s been an inspiration. But he can’t dance the way he needs to to win. Also, I thought his little pout about Sharna in the package was in bad taste. I didn’t think it made her look bad.

5. Lisa Y says:

Miss Patti is a good dancer. She deserves to stay for at least a couple of more episodes.

6. Marissa says:

Team Yolo’s dance was no where near as fantastic as Team Trouble’s. Don’t get me wrong the dance was good and for as stressed as they made everyone seem in the package it came together somewhat flawlessly. But the dance was just not as impressive as the one that followed. Team Trouble’s dance should have received a higher score from the judges.

7. Joyce says:

Riker did so well, I do hope we see more variety from them though. The moves seem to be getting a little repetitive and the songs are all too similar. Riker has so much more potential and could take it all the way, I just hope Allison help make the right choices. There is just something about their dances that never fails to make me so happy.

• Citygirl says:

The only problem I have with Riker is that the young man has had dance training. It is obvious at times no matter how much he pontificates that he is a “rocker”. He may have been 12 yrs old, but the training is there. But he is fun to watch and he will be in the final two.

• Jude says:

Every year there are always a few people who have had dance training. DWTS has always been that way. Nastia has also had dance training to help her with gymnastics. This is the first year I have actually watched the show for any length of time because it always seems to favor the people who have had dance training.

• Pamela Johnston says:

Sometimes there are those that have had dance training that comes on the show. This season, one lady has no previous dance training, and that is Rumer Willis. I love watching her and Riker. It was sad to see Riker in the bottom, and i feel that should not have been. Maybe next week with a double elimination the right ones will go home, with it preferring it to be Noah and Chris. But if Robert should go home, i hope at least Chris stays since he is the most improved. Noah is very limited with some dance moves and has dropped his partner several times. Noah has given his best, but with it coming midway to the program, and with his limitations, Noah could be next.

• delfiteblu says:

Any time you have professional actors on the show, somebody has had dance lessons. They all do it when they’re starting out – they dance, they sing, they have acting lessons. Unless you REALLY want to get to the dregs of Hollywood society, don’t worry to much about the dance experience. :)

8. marilyn north says:

I’d like to not see that smirking farmer one more time. He needs to leave
    and go back to the corn fields. Don’t watch this show much any more. All
    the tiny young girls win. loved Patti and she just got stronger each show.
    Such class.Good job Patti.

• Pamela Johnston says:

Smirking farmer, that’s not nice, Marilyn. A tiny young girl didn’t win last season. That actually went to Alfonso Ribeiro. And he is a 43 year old man. I am not sure where your coming from with saying all the tiny young girls win. A lot of tiny young girls are on the show but not all have won. Out of all the past winners Shawn Johnson was the youngest to win at 18 years old. The oldest female to win was Jennifer Grey at 50. And the oldest male was Donny Osmond at 50. So not necessarily do all the young and tiny girls win.

• delfiteblu says:

Maybe Marilyn’s statements come from the fact that she said she doesn’t watch the show. That would, of course, make her an expert and previous winners.

9. Margie says:

Sorry America … but Patty should not have been sent home. Either Chris or Robert should have gone. They have no rhythm; no disrespect to either of them, but this is a dancing contest not a pity dance or look how cute he is.

• Margie says:

I meant Noah should have gone home or Robert.

• Pamela Johnston says:

I think it was about time Patti went home. Though i really look up to her as a wonderful performer, ballroom dancing just isn’t her. Robert is much better than Chris or even Noah. it just so happens that last weeks dance for Robert was so quick moving, that he did lose his step, but generally speaking Robert is still much better than Noah or Chris. Chris has improved so much, and last nights show proved that. I’m hoping that Robert and Chris can make it one more week.

• alwaysyoung says:

Chris “improving” from continually being close to the worst of all is no big deal. Time for him to go!

10. Jude says:

I really enjoyed watching both Patti and Suzanne dance. It’s refreshing to see them go up against much younger contestants. Miss Patti was a classy lady. I am disappointed that both of them have been eliminated. I agree about Robert’s smile. When you see him on Shark Tank he has a natural smile, his DTWS smile is creepy.

11. Special says:

No as usual they sent the wrong person home. Last night should have been Robert’s turn to go. But as we all know things don’t always work out like they should. We all know why Noah is being safe which meaning no disrespect. Riker is holding his own. It’s funny how the judges say this but then their scores do not agree with their comments. But anyway I don’t watch DWTS as much as I use becomes of how it does not seem real to me like it did in the beginning. I believe I already know who is going to win this season, LOL By the way judges you got it wrong again Team Trouble should have had all 10’s

• Pamela Johnston says:

Actually it should have been Noah or Chris, not Robert. One week out of step doesn’t mean he is a bad dancer. And the comment you made about we know why Noah is being saved, and for that reason people really need to compare his dancing to the other male celebrities, therefor the pity votes ( no disrespect ). I loved both group dances, and both were great, but yes Team Trouble should have had all 10’s.

12. chris says:

yes most of the weeks she did not dance . tony did all the moves to make her look good

13. BDD says:

I wish Chris and his fake fiance would go home. I also wish he would shave off that silly mustache.

14. toughhombre says:

LaBelle should have been eliminated weeks ago. She was never a serious contender. The inconsistency of the judges is sad: overpraise for little or no content in some and harsh criticism for more proficient contenders. Soules and LaBelle should have been eliminated weeks ago. Robert and Kym are totally entertaining and take on tough choreography but they got criticism for slight errors that were corrected. Willow, Runner and Nostia are in the top three and one of those should win.

15. joanne says:

0WRONG WRONG WRONG PATTI BROUGHT CLASS TO DWTS.I REALLY THINK “PRETTY BOY” CHRIS SHOULD GO HOME AND EVEN THOUGH ROBERT IS TRYING SOOOOOOOOOO HARD HE JUST DOESN’T HAVE THE BIT or confidence HE has IN SHARK TANK

16. AtlLady says:

So sorry to see Patti go. She took criticism well and tried to work on what was suggested. She worked very hard, at 70 this is not an easy task. But, most importantly, she always had a good time, too. I loved watching her tease Artem and enjoyed watching Artem come to adore her.

17. I always thought Dancing with the stars should have had themes. ” dancin with the 70s stars” 80s stars” Action heros” etc that way the ages could be more close and the routines the stars do could be better compared. Gymnasts are always the ones to beat, Some have training some dont. Patti had no chance of winning due to her age, but against others in her age it would have been a funner show.

18. As far as I am concerned Chris should have gone home. After last weeks performance and him telling Whitney to not argue with him ( like he is running the show ) he does not belong on this show at all. Terrible attitude.

19. Pearl M Johnson says:

Patti should NOT have gone home. Robert & Kym should have. Patti has been looking pretty great……..and her dancing is easy on the eyes1

20. Behzad Sandila says:

Can we please talk about how pre-scored those team dances were??? Team YOLO was uncoordinated the whole time, really boring, and still got a 39. By that logic, Team Trouble which was miles ahead should’ve gotten a perfect score! But God forbid Derek be on a losing team cuz that’ll affect his hype!

21. Jim Richards says:

Send Len back to England and let him take Erin Andrews back with him. Bring back Brook , she should have never been let go. Also can you not find Juliann Hough a hair stylist ???? She looks like crap most of the time.

• carolyn says:

Totally agree. Erin Andrews often embarrasses the dancers waiting for their scores; some very uncomfortable moments for them.

22. Raymond says:

Yes, the right celeb went home. Patti had a little more movement than some previous elder contestants, but not enough to keep her around. Sadly, as I am a Vietnam veteran and in awe of what Noah has accomplished on DWTS and his military service and sacrifices, I have to say that he simply is not dancing. His athleticism is awesome and, hopefully will inspire others, but it just is not dancing. He is remarkable, but should not be in the running for more than one more show. You can say what you will about Robert’s dancing over the past two weeks, but he WAS dancing, albeit not very well.

23. Sheenaa says:

Well…between Patti & Robert; I believed America got it right. Patti is a sweet person, however, her dancing moves were not as technically difficult as Robert. Her dancing moves were mostly slow, less fast paced and less technical compared to Robert or Riker. My guess to be in the finals are Riker & Rumer W.—- both are up to “can do fast & difficult dancing moves”.

24. Anne says:

Patti and Noah only get slow dances to do. They can’t do anything else. The show caters to them and gives them easy dances. I am sorry, but it is a dance contest with all the styles. Robert is trying much harder to get it right. I didn’t think the stars get to pick what dance they are going to do. They are told what to do. Chris did better but still has a long way to go. I love Rumer, Nastia, Riker and Willow. I look forward to seeing them every week and who comes out on top that week.

25. Meg says:

Ryker or Rumor to win!!

26. Meg says:

Ryker or Rumor to win!! Really good dancers!

27. carolyn says:

Miss Patti is a lady but not the greatest dancer. It was her time to leave…and hopefully, next week Chris will join her. Robert and Kim are SO entertaining; I hope they continue…on and off the dance floor.

28. delfiteblu says:

I hated that Patti had to leave but we’re getting to the stage where even the good couples will go. I’ve been pulling for Robert and Kym because they did well at the beginning and I was hoping last week was a fluke. After last night I can see that it wasn’t. Actually I’m for Rumer all the way – I’ve been really intrigued hearing the things she’s said about being bullied and the way people have called her ugly (she’s gotten prettier to me as the show has gone on) and last night, how she said she really preferred the pretty ballroom dances to the raunchy ones. I like her.

Nastia is good but she doesn’t seem to have much “musicality.” She can jump and pirouette all over the place but she doesn’t seem connected to Derek OR the music – which makes sense considering how little time they have together. I’m not reading everybody’s pick because that’s a personal thing and not for me to say mine is better. I’ll tell you one thing – I’m sick of voting during the show and wasting votes on someone who may be kicked off sometime in the next 45 minutes. I can’t imagine whose brilliant idea THAT was, but it was a crummy one.

Anyway, I loved Miss Patti and it was marvelous to see her personality and spirit and how hard she worked!

29. fgirimon says:

last night’s elimination of Willow and Mark – big mistake! The two dark horses are Ryker and Willow – now she’s gone. Nastia and Rumer – well, they’ve been “on” since week one! Weak couples in my opinion are Robert and Kym, Chris and Witney (he’s improving, but not the caliber of Nastia and Rumer nor Willow for that matter). I am very supportive of my veterans and believe me, what Noah does is amazing. However, I believe this is supposed to be a dance contest and from the standpoint of pure dancing – Nastia, Ryker, Rumer and Willow should have been the last 4 standing. We shall see!