Jonathan Crombie, Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables, Dead at 48

Jonathan Crombie Dead Died Anne of Green Gables

Jonathan Crombie, best known for playing Gilbert Blythe in the Anne of Green Gables miniseries and its sequels, has died, CBC News reports.

Crombie’s sister tells the Canadian news outlet that the actor, 48, suffered a brain hemorrhage and died in New York on April 15.

He had many roles in his 30-year career in TV and film, but is most known for playing the tormentor-turned-true-love of Anne Shirley in the 1985 Canadian miniseries Anne of Green Gables and its follow-ups Anne of Avonlea and Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story, which aired in the United States on PBS.

Crombie’s last credited part was in a January episode of The Good Wife.

Reign‘s Megan Follows, who had the title role in the miniseries, told CBC News she recalled “at times laughing so hard that you’d just be crying,” while working with Crombie. “He was so playful and silly… so his humor was always informed with that, which made him even funnier.”

1. Kim R says:

Rest in peace. He will be forever remembered as sweet Gilbert.

2. jar says:

Heartbreaking :(

3. Deepa says:

I have an appreciation for Anne of Green Gables and the acting done by Megan Follows and Jonathan Crombie. It makes me sad to hear that he passed away.

4. RIP, Mr. Crombie. You’re being remembered with great affection almost everywhere I’ve been online in the past day. It’s not easy to bring a beloved literary figure to life without a lot of criticism, but Jonathan Crombie did it. He’ll always be Gilbert Blythe come to life for so many people.

5. Amber says:

He will always be remembered for his wonderful portrayal of Gilbert Blythe that has and will continue to touch so many people. This is such sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

6. Loni says:

My sympathies go out to his family at this time. He seemed like a genuinely nice person. I sure loved Anne of Green Gables growing up and am sad to see the actor pass away so young.

7. Dani says:

So sad. I just watched the Anne series because of Megan Follows from Reign. Wouldn’t have known about him if it weren’t for that. Gilbert was such a good character also. I was hoping for a new Anne sequel with Follows, but after this, all my hopes are gone.

8. Leigh Townley says:

Very sad. May he rest in peace and prayers to the family.

9. JC1 says:

Very sad. :(

10. BrightLight says:

I feel as though I’m in the depths of despair. It’s like part of my childhood just died. I actually don’t think I’ve been this sad about a celbrity passing since Mr. Rogers died. As a child, I watched Anne of Green Gables so much I could quote it which is pretty amazing for a 7 year old. I didn’t have cable as a child but I did have PBS and mine used to show the two miniseries a least once a year.
    Jonathan Crombie was one of my first crushes. (Just look at that smile!) and Anne and Gilbert were my first “ship” (even though that term didn’t even exist then.).
    RIP Mr. Crombie and my prayers go out to his family and friends.

11. Briggs says:

RIP Gilbert Blythe. You will be missed.

12. Mary says:

He was the perfect embodiment of Gilbert Blythe. I feel a loss of my first true love, even if at the time I was six and had no understanding that he was an actor in a role.

I have seen all of the movies dozens of times, frequently the first thing I shared (subjected) with new friends. Their reaction to the movie determined if we would be forever be kindred spirits.

I shall watch tonight in your honor. Rest well good sir….rest well.

13. YJen says:

Loved him as Gil. So sad

14. bella says:

Sad news.

15. Lizo says:

When I heard this on Saturday I was upset the entire day. Crombie was my first celebrity crush (and who am I kidding, I’m still in love with Gilbert today lol). He will be missed and he’ll live on in the hearts of generations of fans.

16. Angela Khoo says:

This is so sad. RIP, Mr.Crombie. You will always be remember …