American Idol: What Should the Top 6 Sing for 'Arena Anthems' Week?

Just because American Idol‘s Top 6 will cover “Arena Anthems” next Wednesday (8/7c on Fox) doesn’t mean we want a Jock Jams-type situation. (Not that there’s anything wrong with “Pump Up the Jam,” mind you.)

Thankfully, the parameters for the theme are a little broader than that — essentially “songs that can entertain a massive crowd and are performed by mega superstars.”

With that in mind, we’ve cooked up some dream suggestions for the six remaining finalists — the better to stop them from offering up the umpteenth Idol cover of “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” or “Crazy Little Thing Called Love.”

RELATED American Idol Recap: Bad Harry Day

Tyanna Jones – The Police – “Message in a Bottle”; Whitney Houston – “Heartbreak Hotel”

Rayvon Owen – Madonna – “Ghost Town”; Florence + the Machine – “Shake It Off”

Jax – Fleetwood Mac – “Gold Dust Woman”; Sia – “Breathe Me”

Clark Beckham – George Michael – “Freedom ’90”; Mariah Carey – “We Belong Together”

Nick Fradiani – Cher – “Heart of Stone”; Fall Out Boy – “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark”;

Quentin Alexander – Beyonce – “Crazy in Love” (50 Shades of Grey Remix); The Doors – “Hello, I Love You”; David Bowie – “Young Americans”

Your turn. What do you want to hear the Top 6 sing for “Arena Anthems”? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kaba says:

A million yesses to Quentin’s Beyonce suggestion

2. Keith says:

Jax + Breath Me = Yes.

3. Angel says:

I would so love to hear Quentin do the Crazy Remix that’s right up his creative alley. Fits his steeze. Nick I can see him on the Fallout boy Song.

I don’t know what I want to hear but I do know what I don’t. No QUEEN songs. They have lots of stadium anthems but they’ve been done to death or have potential cheese if done wrong. So please pass on that.

• I think someone should do Rhianna’s new song, “Give me my money back bitch” LOL That would be great! Did I get the title of that song right? I think Quentin should do Purple Rain or “Cry Little Sister” and Rayvon should do some Anthony Hamilton, “Coming from Where Im From”. Or even Maxwell. Rayvon can sing really high like Maxwell! But Michaels choices are great! Love the Sia song!

• Tom22 says:

I Like “Roxanne” but I don’t think any of the contestants have the powerful voice to do it. Sting’s voice is sort of one of it’s own in the sweet spots his classic songs linger in. For it to be a stadium Anthem the the falsetto needs some breath behind it not have it squeezed out. Rayvon could do it in a tame falsetto but that isn’t the point

Are we encouraged to post video links here ? I did one yesterday only because Harry had specifically mentioned it on the show but I could post a good Sting anthem type version of Roxanne.

4. Tyler says:

I think Clark should do something from U2. Maybe Pride. Or Mysterious Ways. Or something from Joshua Tree. I wouldn’t mind hearing One Tree Hill.

I would like to hear Jax sing something from B-52s. Maybe The Girl From Ipanema Goes To Greenland. Or Love Shack.

I think Nick should do something from Springsteen. Maybe Born to Run. Or Tunnel of Love.

I think Rayvon should sing Terence Trent D’arby (Wishing Well) or Sade (Smooth Operator).

Quentin should sing something from Bowie. Maybe Let’s Dance. Or, Young Americans.

I would like to hear Tyanna sing anything but Whitney or Beyonce.

• pl says:

I’d love for Clark Beckham to not play any instrument with his performance. To just get out there and shake it loose. If he can. I’d like him step outside of himself and rock Uptown Funk!

• Danelle says:

I just don’t think Clark can go without an instrument. I can’t even picture it. I’d sure like to see him try, though! Definitely would need the right song. Something he is really comfortable with.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I agree, Clark should do U2. My picks:

Clark – Unforgettable Fire or Street With No Name (U2); Like A Hurricane (Neil Young)
      Quentin – Fame (David Bowie); Biko (Peter Gabriel)
      Tyanna – Pump It (Black Eyed Peas); Rhythm Nation (Janet Jackson); Family Affair (Mary J Blige)
      Jax – Sara (Fleetwood Mac); No Ordinary Love (Sade); Special (Garbage)
      Rayvon – Mercy Mercy Me (Marvin Gaye); Who Do We Think We Are (John Legend)
      Nick – Spaceman (The Killers); Radar Love (Golden Earring); Love is the Drug (Roxy Music)

• Tyler says:

You’ve got good taste in music. That’ll be cool if someone sang something from Black Eyed Peas–especially the El Camino album. Maybe Clark. I can see Quentin singing a Jack White song, but he said he wants to sing more uptempo songs from hereon out. I still think he should do Bowie. If he doesn’t do Let’s Dance–maybe Modern Love.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I can’t believe I forgot this one – Clark – Wish hou Were Here

• Lyn Jensen says:

I don’t think half of these artists named are arena rock headliners.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I dont think you know what you’re talking about. Half of them have done stadium tours. The rest have all played arenas.

• Lyn Jensen says:

I don’t think the B-52s were ever in an arena.

5. Ann says:

I love Gold Dust Woman, but I think I’d choose Edge of Seventeen instead(though Harry would probably get really annoying with his analysis of the lyrics). I think Pink’s Glitter in the Air would be a great choice too.

I think Xtina Makes Me Wanna Pray could be an interesting choice for Tyanna, and weirdly, there’s a number of songs I could see several of the contestants doing. Kiss from a Rose would be really different but very interesting from Clark, Rayvon, Quentin or even Jax. I think Imagine Dragon’s Demons would be an interesting choice for Nick or again Jax. I like the Fall Out Boy song for him, but I’m not sure he’d make the notes he’d need to reach. Love that arrangement of Crazy in Love for Quentin!

• Ann says:

Oh, and I know Mark Andrew did it in that House of Blues or whatever it was called, but I think Clark would kill Take Me to Church.

6. I think someone should do Rhianna’s new song, “Give me my money back bitch” LOL That would be great! Did I get the title of that song right? I think Quentin should do Purple Rain or “Cry Little Sister” and Rayvon should do some Anthony Hamilton, “Coming from Where Im From”. Or even Maxwell. Rayvon can sing really high like Maxwell! But Michaels choices are great! Love the Sia song!

7. Danelle says:

Nick — Be With You (Mr. Big) Use Somebody (Kings of Leon)
    Tyanna — What Have You Done For Me Lately (Janet Jackson) Mercy (Duffy)
    Rayvon — Cry Me A River (Justin Timberlake) Hero (Enrique Iglesias)
    Jax — Circus (Britney Spears) Come Home (One Republic)
    Clark — Simple Man (Shine Down) Hold On (Alabama Shakes)

• Danelle says:

Ooops Quentin…

Love Bites (Def Leppard) Love Her Madly (the Doors)

• Ash says:

Yasss to Clark singing Hold On that would be great

• Danelle, Your choices are all outstanding! I love Cry Me A River for Rayvon and Simple Man for Clark! Tyanna, What have you Done For Me Lately would be great and show a more attitude side for Tyanna! Another good one for Rayvon might be Adorn by Miguel! You have good taste and these are songs we dont hear ALL the time!

• I would love to hear some David Bowie sometime!

• Danelle says:

Thanks! These contestants are so good, that they could really cover any number of songs. Quentin could do justice to Space Oddity, I think. Whoever thought of Hanging Tree for Jax is brilliant. I wish Prince would let people cover his songs on AI. Tyanna could slay Diamonds and Pearls. *sigh*. I would also like to hear Nick sing something a bit grittier than this safe pop fare. Something with a bit of frustration or anger in it. And alot of the songs I suggested aren’t even “anthem-ish”. :p

• These are way better than Michael’s picks. :) Good Job!

8. Lana says:

I’ve been wanting a great cover (by a guy) of Shake it Off (Flo+Machine) forever and Quentin has said it’s one of his fav songs. The song is full of pain, Rayvon just does smooth angst at most.(zzz)

9. Carola says:

Quentin covering Beyonce.. YES! BTW praying he makes the tour! All fans continue to vote please!

• CAROLA I was just thinking tonight the same thing, that I hope Quentin gets to stay and also do the tour. Joey is his best friend, so I think she is telling her fans to vote for Quentin now! So that will be lots of extra votes!

• Chi Chi says:

I was voting for just Joey and Quentin all along. Now Quentin will get all my votes. I don’t care for any of the others. Sorry!

• Chi Chi. Me too! Quentin has always been my favorite. I have only voted for him and will continue to! Im not into the other singers either. If Quentin gets voted off, I will just watch the voice and vote for Sawyer! LOL

• WOW I was curious as to what people were saying to Harry Connick so I went to his facebook! More people are sticking up for Quentin! They tell Harry to grow up and that he is the adult and Quentin is only 21. Quite a few want him to apologize to Quentin! He is really getting bombarded with negative feedback! That is my thought also. Harry knows better to yell at someone on camera! Quentin is inexperienced at this whole thing and emotionally it might be hard for him. Harry’s facebook is a good read! LOL

• Nan says:

Most of the blogs are team Harry and feel that Q was angry at his performance feedback. And then he tried to do damage control by pretending it was about the bottom two. I don’t think enough people consider the fact that Ryan was really the pot stirrer there because he was trying to make it a moment. it worked, too.

• Nan, Yes Ryan should have let him get off the stage! On Harrys facebook , they were making the point that Harry was rude all night, also saying Clark was the only musician left in the competition. That was extremely rude also! Especially for the contestants left!

10. mark says:

I want to hear Quentin start off with “Nights in White Satin” since it addresses many of the feelings he’s going through right now. With those lyrics he could make a stand in love and triumph over the haters. It’s got that steady ballad thing that is his wheelhouse so he could easily own the song, make a memorable historical Idol moment and create a whole new emotional space for himself as an artist.

11. My suggestions are:

Tyanna:
    1) Emeli Sande – Clown
    2) Des’ree – You gotta be

Jax:
    1) Alanis Morrisette – You oughta know
    2) Katy Perry – Dark horse

Clark:
    1) One Direction – Little Things
    2) Mary J Blige – Be without you

Quentin:
    1) Paramore – Misery Business
    2) Linkin Park – In the end (slowed down version, perhaps?)

Rayvon:
    1) Sam Smith – Leave Your Lover
    2) Paula Cole – I Don’t Wanna Wait

Nick:
    1) Kanye West – Only One (Acoustic version maybe?)
    2) Matchbox 20 – Our Song

• RANDOMPAPERNOTES! Yes Lincoln park! You are speaking my language! I just love Chesters voice and yes the slowed down version would be awesome! I wish Quentin could do a slowed down version of Crawling in my Skin! That would be insane..

• Danelle says:

Hmmm, if Nick were brave (or maybe not know his idol history) and wanted to do Kanye I would say he go the Kris route and do Heartless. Kris had a similar arc to Nick..wgwg middle of the pack during voting, and Heartless really shot him to the top of the pack. It could do the same for Nick.

12. Static says:

Tyanna – The Temptations’ “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”; Rihanna’s “FourFiveSeconds”
    Jax – “Cell Block Tango” from Chicago, Jennifer Lawrence’s “The Hanging Tree”
    Clark – Coldplay’s “The Scientist”, One Direction’s “Night Changes”
    Quentin – Oasis’ “Stop Crying Your Heart Out”; Hall & Oates’ “Maneater”
    Rayvon – CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”; Ed Sheeran’s “Photograph”
    Nick – Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer”; Sheppard’s “Geronimo”

• Granny C says:

I’d love to hear someone do “Tiny Dancer” and do it right. Rayvon is the only one I’d trust with that song. A bunch of CCR or Three Dog Night songs would work, too, and I LOVE the idea of “Hanging Tree”.

• Danelle says:

I agree only Rayvon should sing Tiny Dancer.

• Static says:

I felt like Nick has been thoroughly one-note thus far (although he had a good week last week); I just thought that a different sort of performance might be the breakthrough moment to help him firmly find his ground. He totally has a lot of emotional depth–he showcased this a lot pre-live rounds, though it’s been downhill since. And so while vocally I agree it’s definitely more in Rayvon’s wheelhouse and suits his tone better, I really want to see Nick do this song or something similar against a sparse piano-driven accompaniment.

13. Here are some songs I would like to hear!
    Clark Beckam- Holding Back The Years By Simply Red or Wild Horses by Rolling Stones!
    Tyanna- Give In To Me by Michael Jackson or Rhianna Umbrella
    Nick- Creed With Arms Wide Open or Hold On Loosely by 38 Special
    Jax- Beautiful by Xtina Aguilera With Piano or Alanis Morrisette Uninvited also with piano
    Rayvon- In Chains by Nick Jonas or Georgia On My Mind
    Quentin- Cry Little Sister (cause its intense and spooky) from Soundtrack Lost Boys or an Intense version of Dirty Diana by Michael Jackson!

• Wait Give In To Me by Michael Jackson might be too adult for Tyanna, but just watched Allison Ahretta version. So damn good. She was robbed of the AI crown!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

How about Joax not singing at all! It will save all of us from getting headaches!

• Jill once again YOU CRACK ME UP! If Jax would just stick to a song rather than change it to baby language, maybe it could work! I would like to hear her just sing in a normal voice and tone without whispering!

• Well Jill We could have Jax sing that Barney Song! Jill I was looking at Allison Arhietta (SPELL)??? video. I had forgotten how FRIKKIN GREAT SHE WAS! No one holds a candle to her ! Also she was a back up singer for Idol last year, but now I dont see her. I wonder what happened?

• Jill Moy says:

I think you mean Iraheta! She is outstanding! She, along with Adam were my picks from the start that season of AI! It’s funny, Fantasia and Phillips have popularity but not her! I believe she’s in a group now! Too bad, she is great! LUV HER VOICE!

You commented on Harry! Every appearance on Idol he sang off key and mumbled at a low volume level! He is a has-been! Plays a mean piano, nothing else! He states FOOLS was written by Lymon at 13 years old when in fact, Frankie was 12 yrs. old when Santiego and Merchant wrote the song as Lymon wasn’t even in the group yet! I’m sure you read my long comments on last AI blog on this subject! Frankie Lymon never wrote a song!

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I like Wild Horses for Clark, but it only works if he totally connects with the lyrics and expresses true emotion. My only reservation is that song is a little overdone on singing shows. Holding Back would be a great fit for Rayvon, IMO.

• HayderB. Hayden, You know you might have a point on Holding Back The Years for Rayvon. An even better fit! I also was thinking A New York State of Mind for Clark, But he already seems so Piano Barish that he needs something to really chew on! You Cant Always Get What You Want by Stones is kind of bluesy and soulful. That might have been good for Clark! Oh Hey What about Bill Withers for Clark? Lean On Me or Use Me. I would love it if he did use me!

14. Is it two songs again?

15. I took arena anthem too literal: Seven Nation Army (white stripes/jack white) Would be cool to hear, prob hard to perform.

16. Jill Moy says:

I think even JLO’S, I LUH YA PAPI is more appeaing than ANYTHING Joax will sing! I LUH YA PAPI, I LUH YA PAPI!

17. Jill Moy says:

Compared to Miss Joax, JLO IS THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINGER!

• Jill, When they did the group performance on finale night and she sang “Go your Own Way” I was very surprised with J-lo! She sounded great. Meanwhile Mr Intonation and Pitch Harry was OUT of tune bad!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

I promised you an update of the OEC standings! In 24 hours, #1…GLOVER, 12 pies….#2….Clarkson….11.25 pies and The Velvet Teddy Bear….11.15 pies! Special guest star was Sally Struthers, who is the reining champ with 126 pies in a week!

Clarkson’s feat is incredible as she drank 3 gallons of wine while performing in this contest….SOOOOOO AMAZZZZING!

• Jill Im not even kidding! I saw some newscast where they were talking about Clarksons weight and then read a statement she wrote! She was talking about her being heavy and said,”We all want what we cant have, (In otherwards being skinny) and then went on to brag….. Quote! But I can enter a room and light it up and make friends with everyone and then stating not everyone can do that! The whole thing was weird. I think she should care about her self-image and not just about making friends! Anyone has the power to make friends and light up a room, but it takes real power to get up off your butt, and exercise and keep a routine! (and not drink wine anymore! LOL The whole thing was strange. It was like saying “Well I may be overweight but I still light up rooms when I walk in!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Well, at least she can add the OEC title if she can just surpass Glover in pies ate…LOL!

Yeah, it makes no sense to think like her! She could slim down if she wanted to! If she has trouble doing it, she could even try Nutri System! I guess she loves wine and just doesn’t care! It always amazes me how so many public figures gain so much weight! I myself have had an exercise routine every day and I also make sure to walk 1 hour per day! Even a good diet and just walking can help a lot! The only exercise she probably gets is lifting her wine glass to and from her mouth!

18. Jim s says:

I’d like to hear Ravon sing the spinners. I’ll be there for you It has some runs in there that’s exactly the same as Rayvon’s voice I think Motown fits him to a T!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

I meant I have had (always) and still have a pretty heavy exercise session daily! Walking also is important! Lighting up a room doesn’t improve ones health and is no excuse for being heavy! Why she would admit this all to the public is something I can’t comprehend!

• Jill, Im responding again to the Kelly Clarkson thing! It was like she was saying OH Well I may be overweight but am still popular with people! Im afraid that she may have a drink problem after seeing that Ellen Show when she said she liked wine TOO MUCH to care about her weight! Thats not the Kelly we all know. Something is very wrong!

• marie says:

For the love of all that is holy, Jill Moy, PLEASE develop some compassion and empathy. I am SICK TO DEATH of your ragging on Kelly Clarkson and by extension everyone who struggles with weight issues. “No excuse for being heavy”? Who are you to pass judgment on anyone’s size without knowing their back story and their own personal issues? Weight is a very complicated matter. Why is it all right with you to ridicule someone on this specific issue? Would you make fun of someone for their race, their sexual orientation, or if they had a disability? Do you think overweight people have no feelings and so you can make fun of them without guilt?
        You know what there REALLY is no excuse for? Your cruelty and callousness. Stop it. Just stop it.

19. Briana says:

Um, isn’t the Florence + the Machine song called “Shake it Out” or am I missing something?

• Static says:

It is! I think everyone’s been so thoroughly infected by that earworm TSwift tune; I even caught myself mis-singing that line in the bathroom.

20. Nan says:

Tyanna – Dancing In The Streets / Martha & the Vandellas
    Where The Boys Are / Connie Francis
    Rayvon – I Can’t Fight This Feeling / REO Speedwagon
    I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing / Aerosmith
    Jax – Just like jesse James / Cher
    What A Girl Wants / Xtina
    Clark – Shameless / Billy Joel-Garth Brooks
    In These Arms / Bon Jovi
    Nick – You may Be Right / Billy Joel
    Sweet Caroline / Neil Diamond
    Quentin – Spinning Wheel / Blood Sweat & Tears
    Love You More Than I Can Say / Leo Sayer

21. Lisa says:

Nick should sing – unwell from matchbox 20.

22. Lking says:

I think Quentin should do some Hendrix since he’s obviously going for his look, sans guitar. Purple Haze would work.

23. delfiteblu says:

We Will rock You – of course.

24. delfiteblu says:

We Will rock You – of course.

25. JJay says:

CLARK: White Stripes-Seven Nation Army (playin’ guitar of course)
    JAX: Paramore-Ignorance (Rock it Jax style but dont slow it down/change it too much)
    QUENTIN:Bruno Mars-Runaway Baby(Move&Groove-Make it funky fun sexy & use megaphone)
    TYANNA: No Doubt-Im just a girl (doing Gwen’s jumps & kicks)
    RAYVON: Maroon 5-Moves Like Jagger (& he has to dance this time)
    NICK: AFI-Miss Murder (he has to rock this song-no sitting on a stool)

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I like your suggestions for Tyanna and Rayvon , but I can’t see Nick handling Miss Murder. That is too big and too emo for him.

26. RedInDenver says:

I like Clark best when he’s “BLUESY”, so I’d like to see him do something which shows off his blues chops — maybe something like The Allman Brothers “Whipping Post”.

27. Jill Moy says:

If Jax can be in AI top 6, JLO should have won a grammy for I LUH YA PAPI! Both are ridiculous, Jax and Papi!

• Jill ALUH YAH PAPI lol I laughed so hard last year when she did that song, not at her dancing, but the name of that song is ridiculous!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Her banging her head motions were pure comedy! Maybe KELLY is an alcoholic! Why she would say such things is strange! Bad for her image for sure!!

• Jill, I dont think Jax is going home . The little kiddies love her! I will only continue to watch if Quentin is on the show! He is interesting to me. So is Sawyer on the voice! I kind of hear a slight John Denverish tone in Sawyers voice! But of course more modern! I dont know why but emotionally I cant feel Rayvon or Clark, yet Clark is a great singer I have to admit. But its more than just hearing a good voice, for me anyway. Very pumped to see what Sawyer sings tomorrow night! Hey I like Rob also!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA……Well, she probably won’t go home, but I can wish! Maybe a miracle will happen! She should have left weels ago!

It’s too bad she’ll probably be on the tour! I liked Sanj. and Laz. better than her! I just don’t know what people are hearing! Is there a new peanut butter craze??????Are everyone’s ears filled with peanut butter???????? WAX MAYBE??????CALL THE MD’S! Get the ear syringes ready!

• Jill I would have rather kept Daniel in there! At least he was real! He couldnt sing very well but enJoyable and cute! Lazaro? and Sanj? Actually Sanjaya cracked me up and remember the embarrassment for him when his mom got busted with Marijuana? It was all over the news! Excited to see The Voice , cause so many good singers! Sawyer……..

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

With Joax the Hoax The Moax Gone, The final contestants left aren’t a bad group! I hope she goes! The show will thrive without that awful whispering, annoying voice!

28. Les Barker says:

Just my opinion but the “knock it out of the park” performance would be Rayvon doing – I’ve been thinking about you by Londonbeat

29. Kaley says:

YESSSSS. Quentin NEEDS to sing the Crazy In Love remix. He will kill it

30. daysbradypats says:

Tyanna= “Battlefield” by Jordan Sparks or “Mercy” by Duffy
    Jax=”Sweet Child ‘o Mine” Sheryl Crow’s version or “Just a Girl” by No Doubt
    Nick= “We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel or “Iris” by Collective Soul
    Quentin= “One” by U2 would send a very interesting message after last week’s controversy or “Fame” by David Bowie
    Rayvon= “I Lived” by One Republic
    Clark= I’m still holding out for him to do something by Joe Cocker, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to do something by Percy Sledge in honor of his passing since he’s mentioned previously that Percy is one of his greatest influences.

31. paul says:

This comment I hope can reach Rayvon…..I honestly believe if you try a Brian McKnight song, your voice and the tone you have, you would have gain the WOW Factor and blow the Judges and Fans away. Trust me! !!!!!

32. Freedom 90 is ALL WRONG for Clark, plus the music will drown his voice out!!!!!

33. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

As much as a like clarks voice, Mariah Carey is a MASSIVE challenge to anyone who dares to take on her, she’s MARIAH CAREY, SHES UNTOUCHABLE!!! I would probably suggest him take me to church stripped down to the piano, or Let me love you by Ne-yo

34. laura collins says:

I think Nick should sing Bon Jovi Its My Life or Ozzie’s I’m Coming Home; Clark, Hozier Take Me To Church; Rayvon, Its a Wonderful World; Tianna, Perry’s Hear Me Roar or Linda Ronstadt’s I Think I’m Gong to Love You for a Long Long Time; Jax, Joan Jett I hate Myself For Living You ou or I Don’t Want to Miss Thing

35. Laureen says:

Quintan: Knights in White Satin (Moody Blues)

36. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

Here are my song picks:
    Tyanna-No more drama-Mary j Blige, Dangerously in love-Beyonce
    Clark-Take me to church-Hozier, Let me love you-Ne-yo
    Rayvon-Earned it-the weeknd, Forever Don’t Last-Jazmine Sullivan
    Jax-I know you-Skylar Grey, Written in the stars-Tinnie Tempah
    Quentin-Born to die-Lana del Ray, Uprising-Muse
    Nick-Sail-Awolnation, Pompeii-Bastillie

• gpinVA says:

No, no, no to Clark touching that great Hozier song! He is so not the rock-the-boat type of guy to sing that. I would be laughing my face off if he tried. Just no! Don’t really care too much what the rest sing, but would love to see Quentin do pretty much anything by The Doors. Muse would be good too tho.

37. karyn says:

I hate this theme. It’s so broad as to be meaningless. These kids aren’t good enough at selecting songs for themselves and they are going to all end up picking off of Idol’s predictably-tired and well-trodden song list.

• T.B. Hammer says:

Idol has a very limited list of songs the band already knows for this. As you say, the songs are worn-out, tired and overplayed on talent shows, oldies radio………..those who can make a song sound fresh and dynamic this week, will be doing a good job. While the Judges clamor for them to “define” themselves as an artist, they use themes to force them to try to be just a singing cast member.

38. I actually really want someone to put a spin on a Queen song. I think Nick could do a sick acoustic version of “I Want To Break Free”. And I mean, harken back to Bon Jovi week in Season 6. That catalogue has a lot of potential if you don’t let the song control you the way Burnell did. I mean, I know Melinda’s version of HAND is untouchable, but I could see Quentin doing something different with it.

• Nan says:

IMO Nick was channeling Springsteen when he did the Tom Petty song. He’d do well with quite a few things from the Bon Jovi or Queen songbooks. Clark [Captain Angst] could do a killer version of Queen’s “Too Much Love Will Kill You”. I always hoped Adam Lambert would do it on Idol. Every time I see Quentin I picture him singing Nat King Cole’s “Nature Boy”.

39. syzygy10 says:

Quentin singing Young Americans? No, no, no, America doesn’t need to see that.

40. Lyn Jensen says:

Jock jams? You mean what gets played at sporting events? I might be fun to have a sports-related theme night. Actually there are so many themes and composers “Idol” hasn’t featured yet, or hasn’t featured in years, it may be a good idea to build a column around “Theme and/or Cover Artist Suggestions.”

41. Stump says:

I would love to hear Clark do “Don’t Let Me Down”

42. I would like to hear either Clark, Rayvon or Quentin sing “Hallelujah” by Bon Jovi