Scandal Recap: White Hat, Red Shirt

Scandal Jake Dead

This week on ABC’s Scandal, Olivia and others grappled with doing what’s right — though in the end at least one “white hat” was rewarded for their behavior with splatters of red.

And that unfortunate individual was… Jake Ballard (played by Scott Foley).

The episode opened with Rowan — “just” a paleontologist at the Smithsonian — “asking” Olivia to handle his headache (being David Rosen’s targeting of B613). Or is she willing to take down President Grant with the super-spy org? After all, Papa Pope contends, Olivia believes not in people but that the republic must stand at all costs.

But Liv is undeterred by her fierce father’s three-hour deadline, and reasserts her support of David’s mission… though things get a bit dicey when Rosen asks Jake about Operation Remington, in which of course Fitz shot down a civilian airliner, on Rowan’s orders. (Gosh, that will never not sound icky.) Still, the white hats forged on, and Rowan even commended his daughter on evolving into a worthy opponent. But there will be blood, he assured her — and in the closing scene, that red stuff was drawn from Jake, who was assaulted at OPA by (sad trombone) Olivia/Alex’s lover, Russell (a twist that bums me out because he was a superior beau compared to Edison, and him being a “plant” is so expected from this show).

Is Jake in fact dead, from those multiple, obviously expertly delivered stab wounds? (Rowan and Quinn each sure seem to think so in the promo.) Or does he have Diggle and Felicity on speed-dial?

Elsewhere in the non-sweeps (!) hour:Scandal Recap
* The Russell reveal is especially sad given that he and “Alex” had just come to a sex-ayyyy understanding about how he can facilitate a non-complicated life for She Who’s Also Known as Olivia. That said, his ability to not freak the eff out about “losing time” (when Rowan drugged, or “drugged,” him) now makes a lot more sense.

* The White House was antsy to pass the Brandon Bill (named after the kid shot by a cop a few episodes ago) but needed VP Susan to break a tie — ‘cept she was really, really, really determined to read the entire 1,200-page doc and get answers to her many, many, many questions and Post-It Flags. After David and Mellie failed to “not feed the pigeon,” POTUS stepped in to lay down the law… only to hand his hungry veep a whole loaf of tasty bread. So as they rewrote the bill into something more than unenforceable compromises, Mellie announced her run for senator, to seize the news cycle/distract the press with a shiny object.

* Speaking of Brandon: Marcus Walker, the activist who butted heads with Liv at that stalemate in the streets, is running for mayor… when he secretly witnesses his mistress (aka the mayor’s wife!) get killed in her bedroom by some hit men. After discovering that the mayor ordered the hit and tried to frame Marcus for it, Olivia leveraged the politico to step down and endorse his rival. Marcus, though, chose justice over career and instead told all at the press conference, resulting in the mayor’s arrest and his own poisoned political career. But hey, Liv may need a new beau soon….

What did you think of the episode “I’m Just a Bill”?

1. kn1231 says:

Wow, I was not expecting Jake to be the first one to go. I wasn’t the biggest fan of his character, but I would have much preferred if Huck was killed. Seems like the blood bath is just beginning. A few of the deaths listed in the most recent Blind Item likely belong to Scandal. Can’t wait to see the fallout next week after Jake’s death. Hope this all leads to Papa Pope being the final death so Scandal can put this B613 storyline behind them.

• danielle says:

i don’t approve of death for death but it’s about time papa pope DIES. he’s awful. he’s crazy. his mind games over control over his daughter are deadly and SICK. awful human being.

• Jared says:

I completely agree! tired of Papa Pope and what he does to the characters!

• Cheyenne says:

As crazy as this show is, it wouldn’t surprise me if Russell turned out to be Olivia’s half-brother just so Rowan could throw it in her face that she committed incest. Rowan is capable of anything.

• brina says:

That’s a good twist

• Anna says:

You were right a few weeks ago when you said that Liv was actually disappointed and not ungrateful to Fitz, when she learned that he chose to go to war. I used to think that it was a weak argument to justify her coldness towards Fitz (and I’m not even an Olitz fan) but Papa Pope spelled it out for me. So bravo for seeing what most of us couldn’t accept!

• Sweetweeny says:

I agree Anna, but I have a strong feeling that Olivia is not going to go with the Republic I don’t believe she is going to sell Fitz out. I think the writers are using this plot angle so Olivia can see what someone will do when they really love a person. I think she is going to put Fitz over the Republic. She is going to realize that she loves him that much that she is not going to sacrifice him.

I love how the writers are putting Olivia in the same situation they put Fitz in – a no win situation. If Olivia turns on Fitz he would lose his Presidency, Mellie will lose her chance at a Political career and Cyrus career will be over. Fitz character has as much of an impact on the show as Olivia. I had no doubt that Olivia’s kidnapping would be resolved, just like I have no doubt that this will be resolved.

• abz says:

Agreed. I CAN’T STAND ROWAN!!! The episode started with him talking and I actually found myself timing how long his Shondalogue would be this episode. He just won’t SHUT UP. The acting is terrible. Maybe it’s the writing because Joe Morton was decent when I saw in the early seasons of The Good Wife, but it is awful. Shonda needs to cut this character loose once and for all. He only serves to bring the show down further.
        And once again it needs to be reiterated even though it has probably been said a hundred times before, Shonda needs to cool it with her Shondalogues. They are NOT good writing and they are NOT interesting. They are ANNOYING!!
        I don’t always like quitting on shows when I’ve made it too far in because all shows have their slumps, but with the multiple, endless monologues, the horrible and endless B6-13 storyline, and the insufferable Rowan character, I’m seriously considering it.

• deprogrammed says:

ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!Papa Goon don’t take no mess, and he is very much needed. Instead of getting mad about a show actually having dialogue, listen – and you will get clues about what’s about to (or might) happen (and always be aware of what color Olivia is wearing). I personally appreciate shows that are so psychologically intense they actually leave you gasping.

• abz says:

He is not needed at all, in my opinion, and he is currently one of the worst parts of the show. I do listen to the dialogue and understand what is happening, but that doesn’t change the fact that the excessive, endless monologues given to his character and the character overall are annoying and poorly acted. He just talks and talks and talks but nothing he says is worth listening to anymore because he just likes the sound of his own voice. I am not left gasping by Rowan. I am left aggravated and annoyed by his character and the show’s insistence on never shutting his trap.

• Cheyenne says:

He doesn’t leave me gasping, he leaves me wincing. At this point he’s nothing but a pain in the butt. Shonda needs to kill him off once and for all. And his rants are getting ridiculous.

• Qadirah Muhammad says:

I really agree with you. Dialogue is how the story is told. I love to hate Rowan. He’s doing his job well. He’s told a lot of truths. Having characters who are unpredictable makes the story dynamic. Grey’s anatomy has the same type of dialogues. You see a character develop. Thinking is good.

• TyMo says:

I agree with you! I am a lover of psychology and behavioral analysis, so I feed off this kind of drama. Papa Pope is a chess player. He thinks everything out and plays his pons logically. It keeps you guessing about what will happen next all while playing on your lustful desires. I love Scandal! I’ll admit a few episodes in this season had me thinking it would go downhill, but I have been faithful to the idea that this show will run for a while, and I am excited about its longevity. Now, it is killing off all of my characters that I am becoming attached so I will say that if Hulk or the President dies, I may start to lose interest, but Papa Pope is the man, and I am still Team Scandal!

• clarelspark says:

That Rowan is omnipresent is a black nationalist tic, invented by Shonda Rhimes. There has to be a behind-the-scenes black power cabal that is really running things. It is of course, wishful thinking that any black person besides POTUS has that kind of power.

• TyMo says:

I wouldn’t deem it wishful thinking. America, has plenty of underground decisions taking place to keep the world spinning. The President doesn’t have as much power as we may believe. Plenty of deception around us

• MP says:

Yeah i think the writing is great and tries to offer little encouraging nuggets. I just wish olivia would stop being so cheap and let jake make an honest woman out of her.

• delfiteblu says:

Always have your finger on the mute button when Papa Pope is about to speak.

• tvonez says:

All the episodes since he left have sucked. He is needed.

• parstl says:

Agree. Stories and ratings have been down without Papa Pope. Bad guys raise ratings…just ask Larry Hagman (r.i.p.). I hope Jake is not dead though as he balances the cast and plot.

• abz says:

He is not needed at all. I think he plays a major part in what is bringng the show down. Him and the B6-13 storyline. His acting is terrible. The writing for him is terrible with those endless, terribly executed monologues that Shonda seems to be obsessed with giving him and other characters on this show. He needed to go a season ago.
            If the show needs a bad guy than they should sit down and come up with a new adversary rather than reusing the same old tired character.

• Artie hardy says:

I really hope Jake is still alive

• daquiet says:

I totally agree with you! I love Papa Pope! abz, why do you watch the show if you can’t ‘stand Shondra “Shondalogues?” She knows what she’s doing

• Artie hardy says:

I agree those other episodes were Bootsy

• Nita says:

True dat. Been bored the whole season. But Papa Pope needs to die!!!!!!

• Kim says:

I agree with you, April. It’s time to take Pops out! Why hasn’t Huck (or someone) killed his guy? Love you, Joe Morton…but it time for Papa Pope to die screaming!!!

• Dora says:

Because Olivia needs to be the one to take him out. Only then will she feel really free from Papa Pope. Then Quinn needs to be put in charge of B613. I really hope Jake is not dead. Maybe this is a ploy to draw the would be killer out in the open. I can’t wait to see the look on Olivia’s face when she realizes who stabbed Jake.

• delfiteblu says:

You’ve got MY vote on that danielle! Tired of him and his LOUD LOUD speeches – plus of course the fact that he’s bonkers.

• delfiteblu says:

• B says:

I’m upset. I like Olivia being in the middle of him and Fitz more than she was just all about Fitz. And a B-613 operative wooing Olivia to infiltrate her? That sounds familiar… Oh yeahhh, Jake did that first. At least Liv won’t fall in love with this butthead

• Sweetweeny says:

By Liv’s action, she didn’t fall in love with Jake either. To me, she has the same relationship with Russell as she had with Jake. Russell calls her Alex and when Jake took Olivia to the island he called her Jules. Olivia uses both men as a means of escaping her ‘complicated” life.

• deprogrammed says:

Scott Foley hinted at it months ago,he has another show in the pipeline, and has for a while; I’m surprised it took this long to kill Jake off.

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

SCOTT FOLEY AKA JAKE IS LEAVING SCANDAL TO CO PRODUCE HIS NEW SITCOM FOR SHONDALAND PRODUCTIONS AKA SHONDA RIMES. FOLEY HAS DISCUSSED HIS NEW DEAL FOR OVER A YEAR. PLUS SCOTT MADE A HUGE FINANCIAL WIN.IN HIS DIVORCE FROM ALIAS STAR JENNIFER GARNER. SCOTTS LOADED.

• Amanda Miley says:

Noooooooooo huck is everything to me . He’s not going anywhere

• ? says:

Oh please Jake’s not gonna die like that. He may die but it’s gonna be a better death than one random guy who’s had five seconds of screen time getting the drop on him.

2. Lori says:

Jake can’t be dead! Say it isn’t so!!!!!

3. danielle says:

i had to cover my eyes :(((( with a stab wound like that it’s not likely he survived.

• Kim says:

I was horrified by Jake’s murder. When he walked into the office, I knew something was about to happen…but to find “Russell” waiting for him. I thought Jake would win the fight (man, they really fought) and expose Russell and Papa Pope. But nooooo….Jake is stabbed — no, hacked to death.

That was not a good move or look, Shonda!

4. Sandra says:

if Jake is really dead I quit the show !!!

5. Sean says:

WHAT JUST HAPPENED????

6. MCronin says:

I totally did not see that coming. Not Jake and not Russell being the one to do it. I’m starting to like VP Ross now too.

7. TVPeong says:

Is he really dead? I keep hoping there’s some sort of twist.

8. danielle says:

you need to stop putting spoilers in your link urls for crying out loud lol

• missvci says:

you should avoid tvline till watching the epsiode if you feel that way. It’s a recap, so a recap naturally spoils a show, even if you were just coming on to read the recap finding out jake died would have been in there or in the comments.

• Kathryn says:

it isn’t the recap title that’s the spoiler though…I googled “Scandal Episodes” and in the news part of google the first caption, in big letters, is “Jake is dead”. I understand the risk if I go to a recap article but the spoiler shouldn’t be in a main Google search.

• missvci says:

I’m sorry that doesn’t help your argument. Googling “Scandal Episodes” after the new episode aired but before you watched it isn’t smart if you are worried about spoilers. I even avoid facebook if I haven’t watched the latest episode of a show I love to avoid getting spoiled. Does is suck that spoilers come out 10 minutes after the episode ended sure, but it they are easy to avoid if you don’t go looking for them.

• Annie says:

It’s a freaking RECAP, for Christ’s sake. You spoilerphobes are the biggest whiny babies ever.

9. Caroline says:

He’s not dead. There’s no way we could be so lucky. #teacherspet

• TrudiV says:

We are in luck this time! You can find additional confirmation since you refuse to believe what your eyes showed you last night at the following article on yahoo.

“Scott Foley Reacts to Shock Scandal Death, Confirms Departure, Thanks Fans”

10. CK says:

I thought the mention of B613 was going to ruin this episode for me, but the payoff of that ending was well worth the Rowan Pope Shondalogues.

11. jbj says:

I love Scott Foley, but I saw this coming the minute he changed his stance about taking down B613.

12. missvci says:

I was really hoping that Russell was just normal, especially after seeing him drugged. Olivia deserved that, so bummed (but not completely surprised) about that reveal. Honestly it would have been a complete jaw drop in random street protestor Marcus Walker was B613.

Secondly, why couldn’t it just be a murder? Marcus Walker could have left and never been there without it being a disappearance. Because that’s just erases evidence and creates more suspicion.

• Sweetweeny says:

I agree about Marcus. I kept asking, why don’t he just leave the apartment – no one knows he was there. As for Russell, I agree again. I really wanted Olivia and Russell to have a fling for a few episodes. I loved how she called him over and just wanted to leave her complicated life and be Alex for awhile – have some good sex, drink some good wine and just chill with a fine dude for a few episodes. I really liked their chemistry too.

Initially I thought Marcus was B613, but all through this episode (until the end), I thought he was just a nice dude; he really won me over when he came to her apartment and gave his little speech. So, I was shocked that he actually was B613 and he killed Jake! Wow. I knew Jake had to die because without B613 Jake has no story, but I thought he would be the last one to die and he and Papa Pope would have a show down, so I was kinda let down by how he was killed.

• Kim says:

Olivia is doomed. Pops does know her…especially her weakness for men. Jake, Russell, same/same. He can put his hands on her whenever he wants to. It would have been nice for Jake to take out Pops, but Pops is B16…not about the be taken down by some underling.

• Michelle says:

How could you not think Russell was part of B613? He was standing behind PAPA POPE at Olivia’s door at the end of the episode HONOR THY FATHER like he was his bodyguard, remember? Have you forgotten about Cyrus’ innocent looking secretary, who Rowan sent to kill all those old B613 agents in the safe house? Please, if they get rid of B613, they might as well turn it into a daytime soap opera. SCANDAL wouldn’t be SCANDAL without ALL the SCANDAL…LUV IT!!

• CK says:

Walker was having intercourse with the wife right before the murderers broke in. His DNA would have been all over her body.

• missvci says:

ah, didn’t think about that part, but that’s why i’m not a fixer. I was just thinking the blood and foot prints would have cleared him.

Good point

• kiwirevengefan says:

Also the mayor was already trying to set Walker up by hacking his email and sending threatening emails. If he had just walked out it would soon be pinned on him.

• herman1959 says:

Exactly, but my question is if he told the police everything why isn’t Olivia in trouble for cleaning the scene and disposing of the body? Wouldn’t the police at least have to question her?

• carrie says:

That’s what I don’t understand. Did I miss something? If Marcus told the cops everything then why is no one questioning where the body went and how the crime scene was completely cleaned of any evidence?

13. Debbie says:

I’m pissed! I’m not watching this show anymore. ..I can’t believe he’s dead 😓😓😓😓

14. ele says:

Hope Jakes not dead.as j will stop watching. He’s to good and one of my favorite people.
    He’s what Olivera needs.

15. Teresa says:

If Jake’ dead….Scandal is over for me.

• Deborah says:

I agree. If Jake is truly dead, the show will be over for me and I will have Thursday nights to do something else. It is very out of character for Jake to be killed the way he was killed. I am hoping that maybe that segment was part of some bad dream Olivia was having (heck, maybe the whole darn season was one bad dream Olivia was having).

• Jake was only reason I watched Scandal so far….if he’s gone so am I ….SHOW IS BECOMING TOO DARK—

16. Jan says:

If Jake is gone, I am as well. Judging from the reaction on FB , Scandal lost a lot of fans tonight.

• Sweetweeny says:

Scandal has lost alot of fans already over this B613 nonsense. Shonda had no choice but to end it. As for Jake, the writers painted his character into such a corner that without B613 he had no role on the show. After Olivia’s kidnapping, Jake’s role on the show has been minimum. In the “ring episode’ he didn’t even appear.

Trust, if the Good Wife can survive by killing off Will (which shocked every Good Wife fan), Scandal can survive the loss of Jake Ballard. Shonda is getting rid of the B613 storyline and I think the season finale, Rowan is going to meet his end.

• Deborah says:

They for sure will have lost me.

• Cheyenne says:

Oh please, those nitwits on FB have been whining all season because Fitz isn’t screwing Olivia on top of his desk every week.

• MarianT says:

From the looks of things – Scandal has only lost 3 or 4 people. If it did not loose viewers like you over that lunatic kidnapping episode and it is has lost you 3 or 4 viewers now over a character that should not have been on the show in the first place, then I say good job. It is about time Shonda gets back to writing a quality show.

• Sweetweeny says:

@Marian – I agree. For all the people who say that they will no longer watch Scandal because Jake is dead are not thinking about the over 5 million viewers who stopped watching Scandal because they got tired of Jake and the love triangle. When Liv threw the ring at FItz, scandal lost about 2 million viewers.

i hope that Scandal goes back to being Scandal – a badass political fixer with a little white house melodrama on the side.

17. Caroline says:

Does anyone know officially if Jake is really dead or if Scott Foley is reportedly leaving the show? I LOVE Jake. I’ll be heartbroken without him.

• Sweetweeny says:

I heard that he and his buddy were executive producing a show under the Shondaland umbrella, but I haven’t heard anything recently (like when it will air on TV).

If Jake does leave the show, and stars in his own show (a romantic comedy), I want to see the numbers. I want to see if all of these “Jake” fans will support his new show and give it the ratings like Scandal fans did. I want to see if these fans are going to take to twitter, do youtube videos and anything necessary to support the hell out of his show.

I say this because for all the love people profess for Scott Foley, they damn surely did not support his movie “Lets Kill Ward’s Wife”; it went straight to DVD without a wimper.

• Alicia says:

I read an article that says he & his friend wrote the new show but Scott Foley will not be acting on the new show. Great, so Shonda can bring him back from the brink of death.

• Artie hardy says:

I’m just sad about that I really wanted Olivia and Jake to get back togetherI wish you would not have got killed I think the writers are tripping

• Kat says:

Apparently ABC released some promo pics of the 4/30 episode which show an injured Jake in Olivia’s bed with her sitting next to him…as if she was taking care of him.

• Qadirah Muhammad says:

Kat that’s interesting. Maybe Olivia is dreaming. Olivia needs to be celibate for a while. Stop using sex as a diversion. She needs to see a psychiatrist for meds and a psychologist for her PTSD. Her face looks so lost and confused when she’s alone.

• MarianT says:

Kindly get it together people. That was a flash back
        Dumbo is dead. And it’s about. What a waste of space that character was.

• Cheyenne says:

No, that wasn’t a flashback if you’re referring to when they dumped Jake at Olivia’s front door when they got him out of the hole. In that scene his face was all beat up but he didn’t have any stab wounds,

18. Alyse says:

No! Not Jake!

19. Ises says:

If Jake is gone, so am I! This viewer will NEVER watch Scandal again.

20. Sawyer says:

Scandal just sucks anymore. I loved Jake( love Scott Folly). WTF is wrong with the writing. Olivia/Alex so stupid. I have to say season 4 of Scandal has been awful since Olivia’s kidnapping. I knew they were going to kill Jake off, for the past few weeks. They pretty much gave that spoiler away by not giving him in air time. I will finish the season. I won’t be back for Season 5 pretty much can’t stand Fitz and Olivia together. However Melly and the new VP are the best thing about the show this season. Empire is way better then this crap the fans have been given for season 4. Scandal had so much potential.

• Qadirah Muhammad says:

Sawyer I think Olivia is broken and using those two different names because Olivia is the kick butt and take names person. Alex is the I’ll screw to pacify myself. No emotional connection. She has a fragmented personality along with the devil for a father. I hope she gets it together soon.

21. Ginger says:

Jake was my favorite. I’m done with the show!

22. Caron L says:

Not Jake; could you please choose someone else ;unless Jake is leaving the show ?

23. E says:

I liked Jake. I don’t think they did him justice he was to good a fighter to go out like that. it just wasn’t right . If he is dead he will be missed.

• Deborah says:

I totally agree. That death seem was not at all warrior like. The show is now over for me; it has become too dark and depressing.

• Alicia says:

I agree. Wasn’t that a terrible scene? Jake is Special Ops so we know he can kill a man instantly. The writing for that was awful. Why would he walk into that dark office with no gun out knowing Olivia might be in trouble. Besides, she would have called him and NOT TEXTED him. So badly done. Makes me so mad.

• TrudiV says:

Surely these can’t be the only things that have made you mad. Scandal has played fast and loose with plot holes from since episode 1.

I am glad Jake is no more.

24. Jared says:

I don’t know if I’m in denial or something but I think Jake could still be alive. I saw some pictures of him in Olivia’s bed with bandages. I don’t know maybe wishful thinking?. We’ll find out next week! Great episode tonight!

• Deborah says:

Wow, where did you see those pictures? Are they the pictures from when he was liberated from being in the B613 hole and was recuperating on Liv’s bed?

• Cheyenne says:

No. Wen he was recuperating from the hole his face was all banged up but he didn’t have any stab wounds. He’s still alive.

• ByeFelicia says:

Wasn’t there a promo a while back showing Olivia taking her shirt off and jumping Jake’s bones? Did I miss that episode?

• Sweetweeny says:

I saw the pictures too (the episode that will air April 30, 2015) Jake’s not dead. Scandal’s promo are always misleading. One promo they had Jake going dark and threatening harm to Olivia and I knew it was false, and wallah, the last 5 minutes, he is the hero. Shonda LOVES Scott Foley and I believe the Season finale is going to be a show down between Jake and Rowan with one of them dying.

I’ve been reading the post and I know many fans like Jake, however, his character adds nothing to the show and I hate the b613 storyline. Many posters have said if Jake dies, they will no longer watch. But when Olivia threw the ring at Fitz, 2 million people stopped watching and Scandal has been posting its lowest numbers since Season 1. People are tired of the love triangle and B613.

I’m not a shipper, I like good story telling, which is why I was rooting for Russell because I liked that Olivia could get away from the White house (Fitz) and B613 (Jake) and just chill with a nice looking guy. My hope is if they keep Jake as a character on the show, they will give him a meaningful role and a real job. Right now, outside of B613 he has absolutely nothing to do which is why he has been used sparingly these past few episodes and didn’t even appear in one episode.

Also, for all the Jake fans, when he gets his new show, I can’t wait to see the numbers to see how many people actually support his show.

• MarianT says:

Stop with the madness. That guy stabbed him like he was a pinata. If he isn’t dead I am done watching Scandal.

• Sweetweeny says:

You might have to be done because Shonda has done weirder things but to be honest, i want Jake’s character to be dead so Olivia’s character can move on. Jake has no role in olivia’s life outside of B613 and this kidnapping arc confirmed it. He has been given minimums screen time since the “Run” episode and didn’t even appear in the “ring” episode. His character has outlived its usefulness.

• TrudiV says:

Make Google your friend. type in the following:

“Scott Foley Reacts to Shock Scandal Death, Confirms Departure, Thanks Fans”

• Nita W says:

I also find it hard to believe that Jake is dead. First of all, I’ve found that the previews are almost always not what they appear to be. Secondly, Shonda and the cast are always very good about keeping things close to the vest; so I find it very hard to believe that it would be revealed in a preview for an upcoming show that Jake is dead. If I’ve learned anything from watching this show, it’s that things are never what they seem on Scandal.

• Sweetweeny says:

Notice in the preview for this episode they had Olivia confronting Fitz in the Oval Office, but Olivia and Fitz didn’t even have a scene together in this episode. In a previous episode, they went on and on how Jake went bad, but in the last 5 minutes, he was the good guy. I never believe anything in the promo.

• Nathalie says:

He isn’t dead…

• Darcel says:

Oh no your saying Jake is still alive. Well what do they say, when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

25. Sarah says:

jake should be deadm he has no purpose on the show. an episode without him isn’t even noticeble he’s gone

26. mykaayah says:

Wow I did not expect Jake to be killed off at least not that easy does not smell right

27. Karen says:

Please don’t kill jake? Please please I will be so sad 😒

28. Alichat says:

Well….I thought that was going to happen……I was hoping it wouldn’t, but damn…..it did. I’m going to miss Foley on my screen. Also, I love Joe Morton, but I am really tired of Papa Pope. Truly…..please let him be on of the May sweeps deaths because I can’t take this B613 crap anymore.

29. Absolutely devastated. Not okay with how this episode ended at all. Shame on you Shonda.

30. Would have preferred to say bye bye to Papa Pope so we wouldn’t have to listen to any more of his overly long, overly dramatic & ridiculous monologues. Actually, Olivia’s teeth-baring monologues get on my nerves too. Maybe they should get rid of her. Or maybe this just means I’m ready to stop watching the show now.

31. Revelle says:

Hallelujah!
    Thank God, the bore is dead.
    About time!

32. VampP says:

Oh, he’s dead! Good. Long time coming. I don’t understand why it had to take so long.
    Thanks Shonda. About time you get the show back on track.
    Now get rid of Rowan and let’s get back to what made this show fun.

33. Chris says:

Please DO NOT let Scott Foleys’ character go…………he is such an interesting character.

34. SwitAnt says:

Love it! Love it! Glad they got rid of Jake. Now that’s what I’m talking bout

35. Jen says:

I highly doubt that he is dead, especially considering that he is listed to appear in the last 3 episodes of the season. Although, for all we know, they could keep him for the remainder of the season and officially off him in the finale. What I’m most shocked about is the fact that I’m reading a ton of comments saying “No! If Jake is dead, I’m not watching anymore.” Are you kidding me with that? Jake has single handedly ruined the entire show. Jake and all this B613 mess is ridiculous. I’m confused as to why everybody has been complaining about it, but now that we finally might actually get his character killed off, people are opposing it. It makes no sense. All I know is, the day Jake is officially off this show, is the day I officially start watching it live again!

• Trevor says:

Preach Jen. Word!

• MiaB says:

Co-sign!

• Sweetweeny says:

@Jen – slowly claps for your entire post. I do believe that the character of Jake has single handedly ruined the entire show. The writers destroyed Fitz and Olivia just to make his character relevant. Also, for those who are saying that they will no longer watch because of Jake’s death conveniently forget that Scandal has lost over 5 million views since its season premiere. The ratings go up when they promote Fitz and Olivia and down for the Jake centered show (bad Jake),- scandal lost over 800,000 viewers from the previous week.

36. Kathryn says:

Mean. I’m so angry. I loved Jake. And for that weasel to be the one who killed him? Ew. Bad move Shonda. I’m done.

• Carrie says:

DIDO !!!!! I loved Dowton Abby but had to stop watching following deaths of popular characters. There should be another way to eliminate B613

37. AC says:

I how Jake is not dead, for the sake of the show (think they could still do alot with how character) and the actor (losing a sweet money spot on a hot tv show). Also, how was Walker able to testify as an eye witness without explaining what happened to the body? If he did, Olivia et al would be under arrest?

• Rokimmy says:

Is that like how Harrison isn’t dead? I can’t understand how the hell some of you people watch shows. He’s dead! He’s as dead as his dead character was dead and ridiculous from day one. Good riddance.

• AC says:

…typos (I “hope” Jake and “his” character)

38. Rokimmy says:

My luck is sure changing. That lousy character has been put to rest. I’m going to go buy a lotto ticket.

39. Nina says:

SPOILER ALERT! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ABC released the promo pics for episode 4.21 and Jake is very alive and kicking being nursed back to health on Liv’s bed. Don’t know why they would end the episode on this cliffhanger when there’s promo pics two episodes down the line with him alive. Even the promo sucks as much as the storyline a on this show.

• Rokimmy says:

Those are flash backs from his days in the hole.
      The show for next week has his dead, cold, lifeless boring body on the conference table.
      Unless he is Lazarus, he dead and I celebrate his death.

• Nina says:

IDK if it’s a flashback cause Liv’s hair is curled how she has it now. I hope he’s dead. A girl can dream!

• Sweetweeny says:

I don’t know – Shonda has a way of twisting things, like a few episodes ago, they were promoting “Bad Jake” but by the end of the episode he was “Good Jake” again. They have him on the conference table, but he could be wounded. The writers have invested so much into Jake (to the detriment of the show), that I don’t believe they are going to let him go out like that.

• Cheyenne says:

They aren’t flashbacks. When he got out of the hole his face was all beat up but he didn’t have any stab wounds. Sorry to rain all over your parade but he’s not dead (yet).

• Nathalie says:

He is still alive.

• Uyai says:

Hahahaha! @Rokimmy. Funniest comment here

• Ana says:

I can’t find the promo pics. Can you tell me where they are?

40. ByeFelicia says:

I am so mad, Jake is a friggin’ ninja when he fights, how can he be beat so easily like that? It was so out of character. Didn’t he fight like 5 dudes at one point? This is so messed up and I totally called Russell being an agent for Rowan. For goodness sake David’s assistant was a B613 agent, figures some rando Olivia picked up at a bar just so happened to also work for her dad.

I don’t think Jake’s dead, Russell Stover told him he was disappointed that he wasn’t the batman Rowen made him out to be and that he wanted a do over, but judging how Huck is gonna be seen sticking a needle in him maybe Russ ain’t all that after all.

• MarianT says:

What are you talking about? When have you seen Jake fight? He beat up a reporter once and killed people in cold blood.
      I for one am glad da bitch is dead

41. C. says:

All I have to say about this is ABC publicity ruined any shock for me.

42. sladewilson says:

Papa Pope can’t die. He is the ultimate villain for this show. The best thing to do is put him in that infamous hole…. And I think Jake is dead and Marcus is going to end up being Liv’s new love….

43. Scandal fan says:

Soooo upset- the hope of liv and jake was why I watched the show!

• Sweetweeny says:

Did you see the way Olivia flat out dissed Jake? He put his heart out to her (with background music in the scene) and told her if she needed someone to be with he was there. She just stood there and didn’t even acknowledge his request and when the phone rang she went off to work her case. And then to add injury to insult when she was feeling down, she calls Russell. She doesn’t even use anymore to satisfy her sexual needs. After the kidnapping, she has had minimum contact with Jake.

Jake just comes off as a punk to me. i don’t know any “boyfriend” that would put up with a “girlfriend” like Olivia. Jake is single and has options so how can he, as a man, knowingly put up with her sleeping with another guy. SHe has essentially cut off most of her communication with him. Also, he knows that it is killing her internally to go against Fitz.

44. Cynthia Grayson says:

Say it ain’t so. Love Scott Foley, hope it is another twist to this show. Hope it gets back to it’s great formula.

45. Cheyenne says:

I ❤️ Susan Ross! I knew she would turn out to be a great VP. Mellie better watch out.

• Sweetweeny says:

Did you notice how Susan Ross peeped out Mellie’s game plan – I loved it!!! She is no foul.

• Cheyenne says:

She’s a lot smarter than anyone else on the show and she is going to give Mellie a run for her money when she realizes she would make a much better president than Mellie would.

• Sweetweeny says:

As of now, Susan is sticking with the line that she doesn’t want to be President. Also, I liked that Fitz listened to what Susan said and showed him and Susan working together. Wouldn’t it be something if Fitz decides to back Susan for President instead of Mellie.

• Cheyenne says:

That would send Mellie running to the divorce court and leave Fitz free to carry Olivia off to Vermont to make babies and jam. It ain’t happening.

• TrudiV says:

Susan is turning out to be quite a character with depth. She is entertaining. Her scene with Smellie proves once again that Smellie running for president is ill conceived. Unless the message that is being sent that the person running for president should just do so because they are power hungry and believe it is their birth right.

The little that Susan has shown indicates to me that she would make a wonderful president.

• herman1959 says:

Let me get in on this (late to the party again) and say how much I loved the VP, and I am now watching the show for her. About 99% of last night’s episode was predictable, except that Russell was Jake’s attacker, although it explains why Rowan allowed himself to be seen by him (I questioned that at the time). And FYI: JAKE IS NOT DEAD.

• Cheyenne says:

Season 5: Susan Ross decides to run for president after all and hires Olivia to be her campaign manager, setting off huge fight between Olivia and Fitz that takes the rest of the season to make up.

46. Dave says:

Made sense since he came between the endgame (fitz and liv) and clearly her boyfriend was evil. But wow still shocking how it unfolded

47. Carrie says:

Just too much. If the killing of Jake is an example of what is in store it is just too much for me. I hope it isn’t so. But if it is I am out of here and good-by Scandal.

48. Kat says:

Please tell me Scott Foley is getting his own show to star in! That is the only news that will console me if he’s really dead. Fingers crossed he isn’t! Such an interesting character — I was routing for him and Liv since clearly nothing tangible will ever happen with Fitz. Plus, his chemistry with Liv is HOT. Great actor too — been a fan of his since Felicity where he was the amazing Noel! Please tell me he will be back on my TV soon here or otherwise!!

• Sweetweeny says:

I never liked Kerry and Scott Foley’s chemistry. But I thought her and Russell had great sexual chemistry and I was upset that he was actually B613 (even though I had my suspensions all along).

• Nathalie says:

He is still alive. But what chemistry with Liv? Russell has more chemistry with her. I don’t even speak of Fitz.

• TrudiV says:

I suspect if it was Scott Foley and a door knob you would claim their chemistry is HOT, right?

49. krysten says:

From my understanding he isn’t even dead. So this is a little presumptuous.

50. CHERELLE says:

Why did Ya’ll have to kill my Jake off? He was the man! Should have been Huck!

• Nate says:

Huck and Rowan confrontation will be the final episode!!!!!! and I am hoping Huck wins

• Sweetweeny says:

I think its going to be Rowan and Jake. I don’t believe Jake is dead – he is going to mend and Shonda is going to make him the hero of the series.

• Cheyenne says:

I think Nate is right and Huck is going to kill Rowan.
          Wouldn’t it be a hoot if OLIVIA killed Rowan?!

• Cheyenne says:

Forgot to add: and the last scene shows her standing over Rowan’s dead body with a smoking gun in her hand, grinning from ear to ear as she crows “I handled it!”

• Qadirah Muhammad says:

Cheyenne, yes I would love, love, love it if Olivia ends the life of her tormenter.

• Larc says:

Never going to happen. Rowan would kill himself before he would allow Olivia to kill him.

• Shar says:

I hope Jake is not dead. I liked his character ….