The Voice Top 12 Performance Recap: Reba With a Cause

I could say it’s not worth paying attention to The Voice coaches’ comments — which, expressed in paint colors, would range from Rose-Colored Glasses to Fawn(ing) Grey to Sugar-Coated.

But then you’d miss the subtle, sometimes hilarious subtext of Blake, Pharrell, Adam and especially Xtina when they deliberately avoid comments about actual singing — turning everything to pure comedy in the process. (Sample critique: Ms. Aguilera’s “You’ve got that girl-vote goin’ for ya” after mega-hot Corey Kent White hit maybe 60 percent of his notes at best while covering a Jason Aldean ditty.)

I kind of wish, though, that when the show has a crazy talented and very astute mentor (like this week’s guest Reba McEntire), they’d plunk a fifth chair on the stage and allow that one person without a horse (or horses) in the race to offer some post-performance Real Talk.

The Voice - Season 8It’s a minor complaint, but one that Mark Burnett & Co. might want to address. After all, as American Idol learned during the Dark Days of “Judge” Ellen DeGeneres, bland, across-the-board declarations of “I’m so proud of you!” and “That was amazing!” can only drag the ratings needle downward.

Anyhow, enough about the already famous folks on this show, let’s get on with my letter grades for Top 12 Performance Night:

Team Blake: Hannah Kirby — Stevie Nicks’ “Edge of Seventeen” — Grade: B- | Hannah was decidedly less shouty this week than during “I Feel the Earth Move” in the Live Playoffs, but when she waded out into the pit, her “I guess this is my thing now” dancing and the wandering look in her eye took me completely out of the song. Plus, if I want to hear a Stevie Nicks tune sung in the same exact style as Stevie Nicks, I’ll just listen to Stevie Nicks, thank you very much.

Team Adam: Brian Johnson — Sting’s “If I Ever Lose My Faith in You” — Grade: C+ | Why did Adam bother saving Brian only to saddle him with a tune that was clearly not a good fit for his voice? (#BringBackTonyaBoydCannon) I mean, when the nicest thing Blake can say is that you were “so loud” and that your voice “distorted the mic,” you might as well wheel your packed suitcase on stage during Tuesday’s results telecast. And as if Brian’s song wasn’t hindrance enough, the fact that he exudes about as much charisma as a glob of lukewarm refried beans makes his elimination as much a certainty as the alcohol in Blake’s cup.

Team Xtina: India Carney — Hozier’s “Take Me to Church” — Grade: B | There’s no denying India’s monster talent — but I’m still not fully convinced the opera-trained beauty knows what to do with it. I liked Xtina’s idea to push India outside her comfort zone, but why point her into the same rock-soul lane that fellow teammate Kimberly Nichole is already dominating? India’s excessive vibrato and randomly held notes toward the end of the performance seemed like a desperate attempt to create a Capital M Moment — when what she really needed to do was work harder at bringing to life the haunting and undeniably sexy nature of Hozier’s lyrics.

The Voice - Season 8Team Pharrell: Mia Z — Rolling Stones’ “Miss You” — Grade: A- | It’s official: I’m obsessed with the textures of Mia’s very distinctive instrument, the way she can wrap it around whatever tune Pharrell throws her way and draw me into her world of gritty blues. “Miss You” allowed the teenager to showcase those skills on a breezier, more uptempo number than we’re used to, but the end result was no less satisfying… right down to the dolphin cry “ooh-ooh-ooh-oohs” that Blake loves so much. I worry a little that the lackadaisical nature of the song — and her early position in the Top 12 lineup — means there’s a tiny chance Mia will need a Twitter Save come Tuesday, but hopefully that’s just paranoia in a season where judges’ and viewers’ decisions have been so solid, I can’t help but fret it’ll all come crashing down any second.

Team Adam: Deanna Johnson — Hillsong United’s “Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)” — Grade: C | Anyone notice how Pharrell rambled on about Deanna’s previous issues with nervousness — which really just underscored the tentative, tremulous vibe she brought to a song which she didn’t seem all that eager to tackle? Not only did girlfriend’s voice get drowned out by the band in the opening verse, but Deanna sounded under the melody for almost the entire song — her uncomfortable smile quite possibly indicating she could sense the disaster she was cooking up, as well.

The Voice - Season 8Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks — John Lennon’s “Imagine” — Grade: A- | Sawyer’s iTunes sales have been so sensational all season that I actually started wondering if The Voice‘s producers instructed the judges to find something minor to nitpick incessantly (i.e. that sweet, disappearing falsetto note on “you-ooh-ooh”) — thereby blunting the kid’s momentum and making for a less predictable march to victory. Trouble was, that momentary vocal crumble only added to the wide-eyed emotionalism Sawyer brought to the song. I dug how his melodic tweaks on the chorus — pointing downward where you’d have expected him to sail upward — never came off as change just for change’s sake. And the grit that percolated through the final third of the performance was so powerful, it helped my brain delete all evidence of those heinous audience SwayBots and hear John Lennon’s classic with fresh ears — neither of which are easy tasks!

Team Xtina: Rob Taylor — Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ “I Put a Spell on You” — Grade: B | Rob’s ability to go from piercing falsetto to dirty growl is impressive, but I was shocked by the excessive praise the judges had for a performance this week in which Rob left no note unpunished. I mean, if every single part of a song is smothered in gallons of ad-libs and howls, the end result is like a restaurant dish comprised entirely of sauce. No matter how tasty it is, there’s an oddly empty feeling once the plate is cleared.

Team Blake: Corey Kent White — Jason Aldean’s “Why” — Grade: D | Corey’s face looks like it was created in a research lab with the specific purpose of fronting videos that’ll kill it on CMT’s Hot 20 Countdown. His vocal, though, was more suited to the “fraternity-sorority circuit” where Corey’s been cutting his teeth the last few years. Just how out of tune was the angel-faced troubadour? Let’s just put it this way: I’m not sure Blake has ever told one of his own team members (this early in the season) that he “didn’t sing perfectly.” Fret not, though, Big Softy went on to tell Corey he’d “delivered the lyric perfectly” — which is as much a consolation prize as when Kelly and Michael give an Outback Steakhouse gift certificate to a losing contest caller, rather than the all-expenses-paid Hawaiian vacation he was hoping to score.

Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne — Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” — Grade: A- | Koryn may not rank No. 1 in anybody’s final analysis of Top 12 night, but she is a clear-cut winner in the Most Improved category. The delectable way she played with the melody during her introductory chorus, the staccato punches she gave to the chorus, even the way she threw her body into the groove all brought to vivid life the “I will survive” vibe of the lyrics — and her muscular, warbly tone was in fantastic form, too. Pharrell needs to work with Koryn about bringing more dynamic range to her songs — it all felt a little cranked up to 11 from start to finish — but she’s the kind of dark horse who ought to be making her more hyped rivals a little nervous.

Team Adam: Joshua Davis — Simon and Garfunkel’s “America” — Grade: B+ | Joshua’s opening verse was a little difficult to understand thanks to some iffy enunciation and the raw power of the Voice‘s house band and background vocalists. That bit of trouble didn’t throw the charismatic dad off his game, though, and the remainder of the ditty proved an excellent study in laid-back, effortless storytelling.

The Voice - Season 8Team Blake: Meghan Linsey — Little Big Town’s “Girl Crush” — Grade: A | It’s always tough to tackle a song that’s capturing the current zeitgeist, but Megan brought a ’60s R&B girl-group energy to Little Big Town’s “controversial” country jam — her raw, booming voice rising and falling to make palpable the heartache that’s at the center of this “lost my man to another chick” jam. There wasn’t a single note out of tune — and while some folks think Meghan is too much of a pro to really belong on The Voice, it’s hard to argue against any scenario that led to a performance this thrilling, no?

Team Xtina: Kimberly Nichole — The Animals’ “House of the Rising Sun” — Grade: A+ | Speaking of thrills… Kimberly’s “House of the Rising Sun” might possibly knock Amanda Brown’s “Dream On” off the perch in my All-Time Greatest Voice Performances gallery (to be updated soon right here at TVLine.com). Kimberly’s explosive battle-cry of a voice bought me a first-class ticket to New Orleans, delivered me right at the door of the house of ill-repute in question, and showed me the faces of those ruined by its siren temptations. The way the rock-and-roll ballerina leaned back and strutted the stage, her growling, howling tone piercing through the arena, made this performance a physical and spiritual revelation — like getting hit with shock paddles and submerged in the river for a baptism all in one sweeping motion. If that sounds crazy, well, then you haven’t watched Kimberly do her thing a half-dozen times on repeat, have you?

Should Be Bottom 3: Brian, Deanna, Corey (Brian and Corey going home)
Will Be Bottom 3: Brian, Deanna, Hannah (Brian and Hannah going home)

OK, your turn. What did you think of The Voice‘s Top 12 performance night? Who were your faves? Who’s in trouble? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to expand on your thoughts!

1. Ron says:

Kimberly. Kim-ber-ly! KIMBERLY!!! So many yeses. I was waving gospel hands. I was throwing all the shoes. I had stank face all over the place. I was Pharrell-ing (i.e., standing up for the whole performance). I was clapping. I was stomping. I was whooping and hollering. Kimberly—total slay-master. I died because her performance was killer. Then I was revived because her performance gave me life. It was all I needed in the world. That heffa better win, otherwise I riot. Get it Kimberly!

• JT says:

Louder is NOT better. And can we just declare a moratorium on “Imagine” and “House of the Rising Sun”? If I had a nickel foe every time those songs have been covered I could retire and live off the interest.

• Kaba says:

Louder was better here.
        Didn’t like it? Oh well.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Khaleesi NIcole, Mother of Dragons, SLAYED last night. She isn’t just louder, she is in total control of every note, every beat, every tremor, every vibration that comes from her throat. I contend that she still hasn’t approached her maximum yet. When she does, speakers will shatter, TV screen will melt, and viewers all over the world will bend a knee in her honor.

• MC says:

Imagine can be really lame if it’s covered in a lazy way. I love House of the Rising Sun, but sometimes the covers of it can be dreadful. Kimberly wasn’t just loud; she was in control while also demonstrating an understanding of the lyrics. Jacquie Lee, Xtina’s former star pupil, impressed people by hitting every note in her powerful upper register. The problem was she often delivered the lyrics in a vacant, detached manner and that was a big problem on a few songs, especially “Back to Black.”

• Tom22 says:

I agree with you on the Imagine. I hope you weren’t saying Sawyer was lazy though, he was singing it as a different character than usual with a bit less sentimentality but something else strong in it’s place: lots of “possibility” and “wonder” in a different sort of way(but I’m not saying classic remember forever performance or anything.. “just’ very good and points for a slightly different emotional take).
          I don’t like 98% of the House of the Rising sun covers because even those that put powerful vocals in are missing the point IMHO that i’s a whaling song that explores verb tenses in the conditional and past perfect etch bringing past and present and future in juxtaposition in ways that evoke the ever-wending ways of the world (LOL Ok, I spat that out). The Animals came closer but it was their instrumentals and the patient delays of the singer and interaction mimicking of the instrumentals that made the Animals work.

It’s a very old song: hundreds of years old and you can hear it’s age and timeless quality in its approach to words and lilting melody.

• JM1 says:

Agree! No matter how well these performers do, I just can’t get excited about such tired song choices.

• Timmah says:

Amen to that.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I agree that louder is not necessarily better, but there’s a minimum threshold that some of these contestants aren’t crossing. If you can’t sing above a band with close to no instrumentation WHEN YOU’RE MIC’ED, you’re kind of screwed. Deanna and Joshua showed us tonight what the limitations of having a tiny voice are.

• Timmah says:

The problem though is that Kimberly took a sledgehammer to a song and shattered it to pieces. I mean, she probably improved that awful Linda Perry song last week with that kind of treatment, but a classic like Rising Sun demands a more subtle approach.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m not arguing otherwise. Changes in dynamics are important. I thought Kimberly did a great job, but I wasn’t as impressed this week as I was last week for that very reason. My point was a singer NEEDS to be able to sing loudly because the opposite (someone who can only sing softly like Deanna or Joshua) is going to struggle to make a song pop by not having sufficient variety in dynamics.

• Tom22 says:

absolutely agree with you Timmah. See my longer comments above. I love HOTRS but its a philosophical musing song, not one of hot passion or anger or warning like so many singers make it. There are “warnings” of sorts in it, but they’r more about things like destiny in it’s mysterious way. At least to me. I only feel strongly about that and dislike “great” emphatic performances because what a old traditional sea song like HOTRS can present is such a rare thing that to here it ignored grates on me.

• Carrie says:

Well JT if you look at iTunes charts this morning you sure could. Both of those covers are rocking’ the top 10!

• Carrie says:

Reading the full reviews with grades this morning and still scratching my head over these grades. I know Slezak favors some contestants but giving Mia an A- still makes no sense this week. Sorry Michael, time for an edit on that one. In all fairness to Koryn, Joshua and India, Mia’s performance was not superior – though she has been amazeballs in prior weeks. Can I get Melinda Doolittle’s to submit her grades please?

• LeeS says:

You’re right, of course. The writer of this review has fallen into the trap of praising his established favorites no matter how hard they crash. Given that Mia misfired on all cylinders last night, and Sawyer crashed and burned, his grades are based only on sentiment.

• Wait, Sawyer did what? LOL!

For crashing and burning, he sure is holding solid on iTunes this morning with Kimberly and Meghan in the Top 5 Downloads.

One broken note with an amazing recovery a bad performance does not make. If that were the case, Corey would have been long gone cuz’ the dude can’t stay steady in a song to save his life.

• Allie says:

Totally agree. I like Mia but last night was terrible. I fast forwarded 3 performances – her, Deanna and Cory. baaaaddddd. Scratched my head at the bad off-the-Vegas-strip performance by Rob too. Did dishes when Brian sang. I’d give Mia another chance based on other performances but she needs to step it up fast.

• kalyn says:

Agreed sick of all the loud, yelling divas. They have one or two every year and they are all interchangeable. Nobody has any artistry on this show. It’s just loud karaoke.

• Angie_Overrated says:

There’s also soft karaoke with Joshua. It’s not just the singers who can sing loudly who do that.

• Lee says:

I’ll take Joshua’s type of singing over the divas any day.

• Viajero says:

There was nothing Karaoke about what Kimberly (or Koryn for that matter) did last night. They completely rearranged their songs and did versions that are different from any of the many covers I´ve heard before. Joshua and Brian on the other hand, did straight up covers that simply didn’t come even remotely close to matching the originals.

• DarkDefender says:

#Preach
      Ms. Kim Nikki killed it. That was straight up SICK!!
      SERIOUSLY.. girl can sing. You cannot deny it. #Cookiegonnagetwhatshers

• Lunakit says:

“Pharrell-ing!” ftw :-)

• The Beach says:

Some thoughts, like ’em or not:
      Kimberly and Meghan were hands down fabulous.
      Mia, please stop swallowing the mic and enunciate a bit.
      Rob, way way over the top. Check out Annie Lennox on The Grammys or Nina Simone to see how that song should be sung.
      Would love to see India sing a Puccini aria and blow everyone away.
      I love the sound of Joshua’s voice.
      Why, season after season, does Adam sabotage his teams with poor song choices?
      Sawyer, I like but still chuckle a little at the juxtaposition of face to voice.
      The rest…uh no.
      JMHO

2. Christian says:

Sorry Rob, but you ain’t no Jacquie Lee.

3. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

MISS KIMBERLY NICHOLE!!! YOUVE COME TO THE THE THROWN!!! 😍😍😍

4. analythinker says:

I must admit the song choices tonight had me scratching my head throughout the show.
    Worst execution: Corey. But watch his song climbing the chart.
    The I-don’t-know-where-to-put-him award goes to: Sawyer.
    Rob was great. But man, KIMBERLY!!!!!!

• Jon says:

100% agree about the song choices. I’m a Stones fan, but “Miss You” for Mia? She did the best she could with that choice, but still. And giving Joshua Simon & Garfunkel was a little too on the nose (and underwhelming).

But then Koryn gave “Stronger” a perfect warm tone and incredible power. Meghan was flawless on “Girl Crush.” And Kimberly. KIMBERLY. That girl blew the house down! Phenomenal performance, and the best for two weeks straight. Did Lowell Oakley actually beat her in a battle round, or did I dream that?

• analythinker says:

Lol. Thankfully that’s in the past. What I don’t get is, for a strategic decision on Pharrell’s part, why saddling Lowell with a song he could never do justice? I like versatile contestants, but Lowell just wasn’t, he needs to stick to his own thing.

• Jon says:

So true. As the teen reincarnation of the Rat Pack, he had a marketable niche (and a decent voice). As a versatile pop vocalist? Not so much.

• wild_child says:

You guys really need to let the Lowell thing go. truth is Pharrell’s team is stacked and Mia Z and Sawyer were virtual shoe in’s while Pharrell was going to choose between Koryn or Caitlin as his judges pick. Lowell didn’t stand a chance and his vocals still need more work. Pharrell tried to make him somewhat current but it didn’t help

• I miss Lowell’s tight floodwater pants! Mmmmmm.

• JM1 says:

Mia actually said that song choice was her own. So we can’t blame Pharrell this time, hehe. And not even Reba could get Mia to enunciate.

The “Girl Crush” song was cool, and Meghan was best for me tonight as far as just singing. Kimberly for sure was phenomenal, but maybe it was just that I’ve heard that song to death, but I was a little worn out by it, by the end.

• JM says:

Good point that Mia picked that song for herself. Unfortunately, she is 2nd to last on the itunes charts right now, so if she goes home, she only has herself to blame.

• kevstar says:

He should have vetoed her choice. That was not a good song choice.

• JM says:

UGH! ‘Imagine’ is soooo over-rated. Why give that to Sawyer? But as this point, you could give Sawyer ‘Copacabana’, and it would still climb the charts.

• Analythinker Well Sawyer is at number 6 on itunes and Kimberly at number 7. Didnt see any others in the top 10! I loved Rob also!

• Arvin says:

Corey’s bum is not country enough it seems. The country crowd favors Meghan and Sawyer over him. Just look at the itunes chart.

5. Zach says:

KIMBERLY IS THE SECOND COMING OF ‘TASIA. I CAN FEEL IT IN MY LOINS.

• Timmah says:

She’s got the screech down at least.

• MC says:

I understood every word that Kimberley sang during House of the Rising Sun. She pushed her power to the max, but managed to communicate the meaning of the song. I think that Kimberley’s pacing and phrasing were very good whereas other power singers are rushing to get to that money note.

• Jon says:

Exactly. Also, Kimberly gives you powerhouse, polished vocals AND a real performance. Her years of performing live have made her so comfortable on stage — and I LOVE watching her strut around like the love child of Mick Jagger and Tina Turner. Sawyer and Mia are great, but I’m on the Kimberly train BIG TIME.

• Jill Moy says:

You are correct! She is just as bad as Fantasia…both screamers who are overrated to the max!

6. rebecca says:

Wow wow wow. Kimberly Nichole!!!

7. Vincent says:

Kimberly Nichole definitely owned the night. Hands down.

8. analythinker says:

Michael, I’m curious. Do you grade the contestants based on vocals alone or other factors as well?

• NEmma says:

I don’t think he grades based on vocals since he gave Sawyer A-.

• analythinker says:

Heh, yeah. And I think Brian did great vocally even though it was kind of forgettable.

• NEmma says:

I agree about Brian. Well, Sawyer is the only one as of now who is charting. Imagine is at #42 and Trouble (last week’s song) is at #142. Oh, the other contestant in the top 200 so far is only Deanna (#179). That boy Sawyer is clearly ahead of the pack.

• analythinker says:

Yeah, but as long as he doesn’t get into the Top 10, it’s still anybody’s game.

• JM1 says:

WHY the Sting song? It is not remotely a “singer’s song.” No matter how much Brian tried, there was no overcoming that. Bad Adam.

I. KNOW.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Equally as bad was Miss You for Mia, but I guess that was actually her choice. Pharrell, pay attention!!!!! Minnie Ripperton for Mia, it’s as obvious as the dopey hat on your head.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That Sting song killed. Way to torpedo your contestant, Adam. It was too high for him, and even if it was the right range, it was simply the wrong song altogether. I felt so bad for the kid. He did the best with what he was given, but he was given poop.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Hey Angie, I mean come on Adam, some songs are just not a good fit for this type of show no matter who the singer is and that Sting song, like JM1 says, is not a singers song. And if Pharrell wasn’t the one who chose Miss You for Mia, then at least he should have been savvy enough to talk her off of it.

• JM says:

YES! That was the worst recommendation by a coach tonight. Adam def. threw Brian under the bus with that one.

• Angie_Overrated says:

As soon as I heard Brian in the intro session with Adam and Reba, I cringed. It wasn’t that he sounded bad, but it was just a terrible song for the moment. It’s a midtempo song with a melody that doesn’t really go anywhere. You give that kind of song to someone who can’t sing that well and can inject their twist or spin or something like that, but Brian is more of a straight singer with some serious chops. It was painful and he deserved better. That being said, I thought Adam’s song choice for Deanna was even worse.
            What
            Was
            That
            ???????

• Sharon says:

And Adam acknowledged that it would be a hard song for a vocalist with a high voice, so would be really out of Brian’s comfort range. Uh…okay. The man has a lovely mellow tone on the right song, so you give him the wrong song? Why?

• Tom22 says:

The Sting song Is such hard song to sing it isn’t a singers song I guess. It’s not a guitar jam although what sting does with his voice is like a wailing guitar in some ways. He gives a plaintive guitar solo with his voice!

Sting has such a unique voice I’m not sure anyone can do that song and it really can’t be sung differently: it’s almost like an extended series of riffs more than a melody maybe. I guess that might be what you mean by “not a singers song” come to think about it.

• Jon says:

Brian is a sweet guy and a talented vocalist but IMO he has absolutely NO performance charisma. Fine for a coffeehouse, but a black hole of personality on the Voice stage. He’s going home tomorrow for sure.

• JM1 says:

Am I mean, or was Sawyer’s rendition of “Imagine” good mainly if you’ve never heard the original . . . or any of the million covers of it?

Yes, he’s a talent, but I didn’t love it. Felt like he veered from the original in parts (the “you-hoo-oo-oo” falsetto) because he couldn’t hit the notes, not as an artistic choice.

But to quote Adam, “That’s just me!!”

• analythinker says:

Oh, I agree with every word you say. And I feel bad because he’s talented, which is why I give him the uncategorized award.

• NEmma says:

In iTunes overall chart, Sawyer is now at #12 (!), followed by the 2 phenomenal performers this week: Kimberly (#14) and Meghan (#18). If we were to base it on iTunes, Brian, Mia, and Hannah may be in trouble.

• Jon says:

Gotta be honest…I liked it BECAUSE it veered from the original. That song has been done to death on these shows, and they all do the same basic melody. Sawyer changed it just enough that I’m considering buying his iTunes version (that, and I really like his Americana-style voice).

• JM1 says:

Fair enough!

• kevstar says:

As long as nobody does Hallelujah, we’ll survive.

• danin says:

Jon, was refreshing what Sawyer did w/Imagine.At first I was oh no, not Imagine again.And I like how he recovers when he gets perplexed.

• T says:

This Jon! Exactly this! I was worried when I saw he was doing Imagine since it’s been done to death…and then his version wasn’t like the others which only made it better in my eyes.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Could not agree more. I am not a fan of that song anyway, but Sawyer changed it in a way that made it better, simple but more earthy, the combination led to a powerful message of hope that I never felt before. Absolutely brilliant.

• Brenda Parlin says:

I agree Jon. I also think it was interesting perspective from a new generation.

• Tom22 says:

Exactly my sentiment Jon. It was a strong rendition that made it about something else than what can be so powerfully sentimental. Where it went wasn’t as classic perhaps but it was of worthy quality doing something else. What he aimed for wasn’t something to get a home run on but it was solid and presented a different message if not quite as timeless one.

• LeeS says:

Sawyer lost it early and fumbled through the whole thing. Hard to imagine a worse rendition. Deanna, Brian, and Corey struggled. On a night of poor song choices, Hannah’s was one of the poorest. Mia Z had her first big stumble. Even Meghan and Kimberly, the closers, seemed to overshoot the target. All in all, just a disappointing week.

• Oh no, he botched the notes the first time and then didn’t try again. The coaches tried to spin it as “way to save it, buddy, you’re a star” kinda of thing. He dropped the only interesting melody line of Imagine because he couldn’t hit it.

• JM says:

He MUST be using other factors since he gave Rob a ‘B’ and Mia and Sawyer A-. Say what??????

9. senorskippy says:

The worst show this season. Maybe ever.

10. debi says:

Honestly, I didn’t like any of the performances tonight. Kimberly was the best and Hannah second, but I wasn’t impressed unfortunately. This is quickly becoming the worst season of The Voice in my opinion.

• analythinker says:

I won’t be so quickly calling it ‘worst’. In terms of vocals, I think 10 out of 12 delivered. It’s the song choices, I believe. Melodically they don’t have parts where the singers can shine. It’ll be interesting to see how iTunes goes. I expect Sawyer and Corey to be at the top, though, no matter how they did.

• daynamonet says:

R u smoking? This was a pretty damn good show. Kimberly waa just the epitome of slayage. Also loved Meghan, Koryn, liked Rob, Mia Z and India. To me, it was a really great night amd to most people. Hannah was far from being 2nd best so not surw which show u were watching.

• debi says:

Just my opinion. My ears like what my ears like, and I don’t smoke.

• MC says:

There were some fantastic vocals tonight, although a couple of the teenagers struggled. Koryn and Kimberly were just plain awesome and Rob was excellent again. I thought Meghan did great and I’m going to listen to India now. I didn’t love Mia’s song choice, but she should be around next week.

• Agree MC. Koryn has been a favorite of mine and she slayed her song. Mia didn’t have much to work with on that song but I’m voting for her overall talent. Meghan is always great and country does seem to suit her.

• Nedsdag says:

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but come on! This was one of the best nights of any singing competition I have watched in some time.

• JM1 says:

Loooved Meghan tonight.

11. Scott says:

Kimberly. Nichole. That is all.

12. Sara says:

Michael, I’m curious. Haley Reinhart or Kimberly Nichole for best House of the Rising Sun?

13. Davey says:

I liked India’s performance and song choice much more than Mia’s tonight.

14. Andres says:

Kimberly deserves more than shoes, start throwing shoe boxes

15. Amanda says:

Kimberly was far and away the #1 for the night, followed by Meghan, Rob and Joshua in that order. Worst were Corey, Hannah, Deanna and Brian. Corey deserves to go home but he won’t because most country fans will support “one of their own” regardless of how they perform. Adam is ruining Deanna with awful song choices!

16. Davey says:

This was the first night I didn’t like Sawyer’s performance. He was good in rehearsals but not good on the show. But he is selling the best on iTunes right now. I’m already turned off by his fans because they tweet so much.

• T says:

It’s interesting I was on the fence at first about this Sawyer performance, but watching it again – even though I don’t think it’s necessarily his best I thought he did something a bit different with the song which made me sit up and listen. I don’t claim to know enough about music to know exactly how the song was different but something about the pacing and the melody was just different enough that it held my interest.

• wild_child says:

I agree. I wouldn’t have paid attention if he had done Imagine exactly as it has been done a million times over. Sawyer at least tends to take some artistic license by changing the songs up a bit so as to make one perk up but not so much that it is unrecognizable. I respect that about him because that’s what keeps his songs from being “karaoke” He may not be the strongest vocalist but man that kid is magic.

17. Kaba says:

Koryn did a total personality change and slayed.
    Kimberly just ascended to God status

• Angie_Overrated says:

Koryn is getting overshadowed by Kimberly tonight, but let’s have a moment of silence for how amazing Koryn was. It wasn’t perfect, but it was definitely a top-3 moment of the night. And I loved how they showed her taking control of the arrangement in her coaching session. That was some good stuff to see. The girl wants this and she’s going for it, which is so refreshing to see on a night when so many of them were phoning it in.

• Kaba says:

Kimberly straight hollered her way into next week. I…Lord…
        Koryn was just amazing, so amazing….SO amazing. It’s crazy how different she is, girl is ready to work.
        She can definitely make the finale.
        I need a Kimberly and Koryn finale now.
        India…sigh. She sang well, but that wasn’t her whatsoever.
        Btw: Deanna is charting overly well.
        10. Kimberly
        12. Sawyer
        14. Meghan
        67. Joshua
        74. Koryn
        87. Deanna
        91. Rob
        93. Corey
        113. India
        121. Hannah
        141. Mia
        445. Brian

• analythinker says:

Koryn’s song choice, even though she explained why she chose that, makes me think she’s ‘just’ a competition girl, picking songs that show her big voice, yet to find her own artistry, so I was a little so-so with that.

• Kaba says:

Welp, it worked for me. I did not care one bit about her song choice because she absolutely killed it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Here’s that one time we disagree, analythinker. :) What’s it been, 3 years and this is the first time we’ve disagreed?
          I think Koryn sings those songs because, like Tessanne, those are the songs she sounds good on. She’s got a rich, husky tone with a ton of power on top, and the choices she’s making have been catering to those strengths. I get your point though. I could see how that would grow tiresome for some people, but I myself am eating up every second of it.

• analythinker says:

Haha, it’s not exactly a disagreement, though. I still think she’s great, just not the song choice :D And precisely your point, she sings the songs she knows she can nail (too many she, heh).

• danin says:

I am enjoying Koryn more than Tessanne.I am enjoying her rise,her rawness,and vulnerability.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I just relistened to Koryn’s performance, and it was a tad messier than I initially thought. She flubbed a line of lyrics and one of her arpeggios was badly out of tune, but we’re talking A-minus now instead of A. lol
            And I’m so glad we’re keeping the streak alive! Something tells me we probably disagree on India’s performance this week though. It was the first time I heard her struggle with pitch, and the whole performance reeked of “meh” to me. I hope my girl can bounce back next week!

• analythinker says:

Oh, I’m with you on India. Although, beside pitch, song choice (again) was my issue. Take Me to Church was basically a breakthrough moment for Matt and it was just done last season. Too soon to try to repeat it, unless India stripped it down and make it her own, but she has been stamped as a mellow singer so she couldn’t do that either, eh?

• I’ve loved Koryn from the start and tonight she showed how much she wants it and deserves it.

• JM1 says:

I also thought it was silly to sing “Take Me to Church” after Matt slayed it just last season. (Then again, Xtina wasn’t there . . . maybe she didn’t even watch tee hee?)

The whole song just stayed in such a low part of her voice the whole time, I guess. I liked her but not the song choice.

• Mytake says:

I have to disagree Angie about many of them phoning it in. I think every one of them put their all into their performance. They all want to win. The problem is that some of them have the latest and greatest high tech phones and some of them have tin cans with string :(

18. Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

Easy favourite of the night is Kimberly. I definitely had stank face. I also loved Koryn, Rob (although I admit that Jacquie did it better), and Mia. I love Sawyer, but I think I need a bit more from him. Meghan, Joshua, and India are middle of the pack to me. Hannah was solid, but boring, so pretty sure she’s going home. Deanna, Brian, and Corey were worst of the night – Corey was flat the whole way through, but he’ll still sail through. Brian is gone for sure.

19. wild_child says:

While Brian was underwhelming the two worst performances of the night were Corey and Deanna. I’m still pissed that Blake got rid of Cody for the always underwhelming Corey who will no doubt advance because he’s cute and country fans will always vote for their own. Deanna is also a weak vocalist but she sang a Christian/Inspirational song so she’ll get by on that and her good looks.

20. Nedsdag says:

Can we end the show tonight and give 3/4s of the contestants recording contracts instead? I would hate to see someone go home who doesn’t deserve it.

• JM1 says:

Love this suggestion!

• MC says:

There are some very talented individuals on this season and I think a few of them are going to be around a long time. It’s easy to dismiss them as “technical” singers, but imo that’s actually the biggest compliment one can receive. Why? Technical skills translate very quickly to the post-Voice real world. I also don’t see anybody here who is unlikeable or a “villain.” The chat rooms feature plenty of folks who greatly prefer AI to The Voice or they think Hayley is an incomparable talent, but there’s not much of that once you get signed. You can just concentrate on your artistic expression. Kimberly, Koryn, India and Meghan are exciting talents and I’m really looking forward to their careers after this season has concluded. Sawyer will probably make a big dent in the business. Mia and Rob could also have solid careers.

21. A.R. Vega says:

Corey was an abysmal shame, I haven’t heard a song performed that badly in a while. It ticks me off that he will stay just because he is country, as this is a vital flaw in the show that a half-rate singer will probably get to stay while someone better has to go.

22. James jones says:

Best voice season ever! America’s got their hands full.

23. Cup says:

I love Blake but the fact that he doesn’t know Simon and Garfunkel’s iconic “America”‘is baffling to me. On a side note, loved Sawyer, Josh and Kimberly tonight.

• kevstar says:

I don’t know it, either. Is that the Neil Diamond song?

• Cip says:

Yep. Neil Diamond released another song called “America” as part of the Jazz Singer soundtrack back in 1980. Simon and Garfunkel’s “America” came out in ’72. I was a baby back then but knew every word because my mom used to play Simon and Garfunkel’s greatest hits on 8 track over and over when she did her housework. Great memories and great songs- both of them.

• Cip says:

Different “America”, but another great song. Diamond’s “America” came out in ’80 as part of the Jazz Singer soundtrack. Simon and Garfunkel’s “America” was released in ’72. I was a baby when that was released but knew every word by the time i could speak. My mom would play S&G’s greatest hits 8 track over and over while doing her housekeeping. Ah the memories….. :)

24. T says:

Wow! Even though I’ve logically understood that Kimberly has tremendous talent I just wasn’t on the bandwagon – until tonight. That performance just gave me chills. With that said I’m also still totally obsessed (in a non creepy way) with Sawyer – and I don’t even know why. Normally I like contestants who change things up a bit more with the kinds of songs they do but he just pulls me into every performance. I hope they both have success after the show, and a few other contestants too. Is that too much to ask???

25. kevstar says:

Sawyer didn’t the top vote? Shocker of the night!

26. analythinker says:

iTunes: Sawyer, Kimberly, Meghan, Joshua, Koryn, Deanna, Rob, Corey, India, Hannah, Mia, Brian

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I just saw and it looks like Kimberly is in the lead with #11 while sawyer at #12!!! This could be the final 2? 😃😃😃

27. 2Blessed says:

Can I just a couple of things?
    -Thanks Selzak for spending more time on The Voice in RC this week!
    -I really wasn’t about the Sawyer hype until tonight, because this is the first song I know that he sung. I think that’s important in understanding why he’s so loved.
    -KIMBERLY NICHOLE SANG THE WALKING DEAD OUT OF THAT SONG. I didn’t think anyone could top Amy Whitcomb’s version from Season 4 (?) but she absolutely nailed it.
    -Although Koryn didn’t hit all her notes, she still had me clapping at the end of her performance.
    -Meghan Linsey was a clear 2nd place tonight, to Kimberly. The breaks in her voice suited that song soooooooooo well. Yes Meghs. Yes.
    -I was a little dissapointed in some of tonight’s performances, especially India.
    – I think Brian is a shoe in to go home, and since Hannah went first and didn’t kill it per sei, she’s going with him most likely.

28. Angie_Overrated says:

Best three of the night for me were Koryn, Kimberly and Rob. Hannah and Meghan nailed it too. I felt like tonight had some singers really fighting to be here next week, with other folks in the field highly complacent. But Sawyer. Dude. This is prime time. Step it up, kid. Don’t believe the coaches that screwing up just makes you that much more likeable. It isn’t true. Mia’s whistle notes missed badly, India flopped HARD, Joshua sounded like milquetoast karaoke at a nursing home, and Corey + Deanna were bleepin’ disasters.

• Jon says:

I have to say, Corey and Deanna were SO BAD I felt acute second-hand embarrassment for them both. And yet because they’re young and cute I have a bad feeling they might survive tomorrow over Hannah and Brian…

• Angie_Overrated says:

There were certainly some duds tonight, so I’m going to focus on the half who did well. And to be fair to Sawyer, that was actually the best I’d heard him. I was “almost” on board with him this week until he screwed up. Ugh. It was so close to good!

• JM says:

Hmm. I agree with everything you said except India. I thought she was great actually. And to my ears (and I admit that I’m not a professional), she hit every note except a few when she was bent over too long shaking hands.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I typed a response to Kaba above regarding India but it disappeared into the abyss (shocker!), so I’ll retype my thoughts?
        I think India’s in trouble because she and Christina are listening to all the critics telling her no more vibrato. So she’s singing straight tone, but losing her vocal identity in the process and it’s so clear she’s not comfortable singing this way. She hasn’t connected for me the last two weeks because she’s taking the criticism to heart and becoming a vocalist she thinks the public wants as opposed to the artist and singer she actually is. I hope she finds her way quickly because she’s my #1 pick in terms of raw talent.

• Kaba says:

I think the itunes is a bit indicative of her safety at least this week. If she doesn’t get it together next week she’ll be in trouble though. I think she’s definitely safe this time around, but she needs to establish herself. Kim and Rob are in their own lanes, India is a bit more specific because of the quality in her voice.
          She needs something pleasantly jazzy, but not so jazzy it’s old school.

• Angie_Overrated says:

India was nowhere near the worst, so she should be fine tomorrow. But I hope this was a wakeup call. She’s too talented to not make it far in this season, but I feel like she’s really lost her way. I honestly don’t know what the right song is for her. I’d think maybe something Sisaundra did but she can do the non-belting, jazz-harmony version thereof? Dunno. Just thinking out loud.

• Kaba says:

India Arie! ‘I Am Ready for Love’
            That. song. is. perfect.

• Kim Moores says:

‘In My Mind’ by Heather Headley.
            It might seems like a formidable fit for India!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ready for Love. Wow. I never would have thought of that song, but kudos for that one. It’s beyond perfect. I’m not familiar with Heather Headley. In fact, I’ve never even heard that name before [hides face in shame].

• Kaba says:

Omg I remember Heather Headley!
            But yeah, that song is perfect for her voice, but so intimate. She just needs to sit down and either have someone play guitar or kill it on piano and she’s back in the game!

• Sharon says:

Angie, my husband LOVES India and he really likes that song, so he felt quite perplexed that her performance last night felt just so-so to him. He doesn’t have any specific singing knowledge (like the cliche goes, he just knows what he likes), but he ended up deciding she seemed somehow uncomfortable, and sounded “not quite like herself.” I’m going to show him your comments, which I think articulate very well something he was sensing but couldn’t put into words.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sharon, your post made me smile. :)
            Like your husband, I LOVE India too. Yet I know from my own personal experience that singing straight tone when you have a vibrato wrecks your voice. Like India, I can’t stay in pitch either when I do it, and pitch is not something I struggle with. My hope is that Christina is smart enough to understand what’s happening and steers this ship back onto the right course. The girl is insanely talented and should just let it rip like she was doing in her first few performances.

• Cip says:

Well there must be something about him. He’s at #10 on ITunes right now. The kid just turned 16, is performing live for the first time on National TV and has lived a fairly sheltered life before being on The Voice. His first flight ever was for the show. You have made it abundantly clear that you don’t like him but cut him a brake. The ” dude” as you call him has talent

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes, Cip. This might come as some shocking news, but not everyone will share the same opinion as you. You get on my case every week for not agreeing with your picks, but I’ve seen you trashing the ones I like too. So shut up. K?

• Mytake says:

I really like Sawyer and every week he’s #1 or #2 for me. But I am a bit confused about one thing. I’ve heard it said going on the Voice was his first plane trip, meant to convey, I believe, that he’s led a very sheltered life and is inexperienced as far as making music (publicly) is concerned. It’s almost like the Voice is trying to hype him as “look at this kid who came out of nowhere and how amazing this unknown is!” However if you look at iTunes you’ll see he’s recorded several albums and dozens of songs since several years ago. So can we stop with the false hype of this wide eyed innocent unknown crawling out of his barn yesterday.

• T says:

The voice has never been accused of being too subtle when trying to manufacture rich back stories :-) I enjoy the show but there are a few annoying habits they just have to change!

• analythinker says:

Poor Brian! I would never choose a Sting song for a singing competition, except maybe Rise and Fall, Craig David’s version.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Poor Brian indeed. His was the only performance who flopped by no fault of his own, so I’m willing to give the guy credit. There were a few flops that had me scratching my head wondering how anyone could have thought that that would be a good idea.

• analythinker says:

So, if bottom there are Brian, Hannah, and India, I know who you’d pick to save. But what if it’s Brian, Mia, and Hannah?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ugh. None of those three deserve to go in either scenario. The two who should go tomorrow are Deanna and Cory based on the performances. No question.
        But if I had to pick one of those three in your second scenario, I would begrudgingly vote for Mia and apologize profusely to Brian and Hannah.

• analythinker says:

Lol, I knew it! I may vote based on their last performance. Like someone below who said Mia didn’t care to change her enunciation, I did feel that way too, a bit.

• Angie_Overrated says:

whoa, I was not expecting that outcome for the bottom 3 and certainly not for the twitter save.

• analythinker says:

Woah, I was just proven wrong with those prediction. Guess if you’re on Team Blake, phone votes > iTunes.

29. Kim Moores says:

I have a slight interest to fear for India, but I think she’ll be fine. Onto the good stuff:
    Rob: Boy did that just as well as Jacquie, phenomenal as hell.
    Koryn: YASSS BOO BOO YASSSSSSSSSSSSS
    Mia: mmhmmm girl, do that ish!
    Meghan: good stuff.
    KIMBERLY ARCHANGEL NICHOLE: I AM NOT WORTHY I AM NOT WORTHY I AM NOT WORTHY
    The bad:
    Corey, Brian, Deanna with her pandering (though Pharrell isn’t excuse with Koryn), and Sawyer was pretty boring imo. He doesn’t have the emotional depth people claim he does.

• MC says:

Deanna sings in her church; that’s literally how she became interested in singing. It’s just plain ridiculous to say that she was “pandering.” She didn’t sing well and, if anything, the song choice was too close to home for her.

• Kim Moores says:

Nbd, so we’re just gonna keep giving her church music cause that’s allegedly her style? Meh, it looks more believable on Koryn.
        Total pandering tonight from both Adam and Pharrell on that end.

• MC says:

It’s definitely Deanna’s background; she’s just not as naturally gifted or confident as Koryn. Was Adam pandering? I think he was trying to give her something that was in her wheelhouse, but he miscalculated. I think Deanna could sing a Cher song with her deep, husky tone. However, we’ll first have to see if she survives the vote.

• JM says:

To be fair, Adam picked that song for Deanna. Deanna actually was afraid to sing another religious song and wanted to sing something else.

30. Mytake says:

Thank you Reba!! Why has it taken this long into the competition for someone to tell Mia that she needs to enunciate better? That was evident pretty much from the get go to the viewers. Anyway, I did see a slight improvement tonight but she still needs to work on that.

31. 2Blessed says:

Kimberly Nichole is in the top 10 on iTunes right now!

32. eidi says:

Has anyone noticed that Koryn has already sung three songs performed by the former winner Tessanne Chin? My kind of love, try and now Stronger. Coincidence or Pharell’s strategy?

33. Colton Smith says:

i know im in minority but deanna rules, kimberly is overated like fantasia was on idol

• Kaba says:

You’re not just in minority.
      You’re just flat out deluded

• Alberta says:

Agree!!!

• MC says:

The thing is Kimberly is much more in control of her instrument than Fantasia was on Idol.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Fantasia still has a singing career a decade later. And she still sounds fabulous. I know because I was at her concert in Baltimore last year. I was the white girl. You know, the one. With blond hair no less. lol

• Colton Smith says:

THEATRIC CARRER IS NOT A SINGING CAREER

• Angie_Overrated says:

Um. It was a concert, not a theater event. I thought I made that pretty clear in my post by saying “I know because I was at her CONCERT!!!!!”
          And even if it were Broadway, that would still be impressive. The Broadway bashing on this board always cracks me up. I think the mentality goes something like “it is not something I know anything about, therefore it is a subpar career choice for subpar singers. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!”

• Jill Moy says:

COLTON,

If there ever is a remake of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, she would be hired for the role of the monster’s wife. Maybe it would be a musical and she could sing to her husband, Frankenstein’s monster! She’s a beaut that Fantasia!

• Jill Moy says:

COLTON,

You and I finally agrre on a couple things! I think Fantasia and Kimberly are way overrated! I will even go further….Fantasia sounds like a screeching overgrown baby! Kimberly is a high-pitched screamer who is ok, but no A rating ever! Maybe a C+ singer! I’ve heard plenty like her! Nothing new or exciting to my ears!

As for Fantasia, I just don’t get her great success! She is below average chops wise! To me….terrible! I wouldn’t go see her if I was paid to do so! She is so irritating!

34. Deborah Baham says:

The amount of talent on this show never seizes to amaze me! The Artists deliver stellar performances week after week! Love the way the Coaches seem to give each contestant their all! Definitely my favorite show by far!

35. Matt says:

Hope Hannah survives the death spot. But think it’s her and Brian, along with either Deanna or Mia in the bottom three. We all know Corey isn’t going home yet… unfortunately. Second half of the show was much Stronger. ;)

• Yes, everyone is so good now that I think Mia is slipping into the background!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Mia is a creepy little thing! Peculiar looking too! Her words when she sings sound off the wall to me!

• Jill I think she is falling behind! Koryn has been stepping up her game. Lots of better females then mia! Lol

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Wasn’t Mia Z in a zombie movie as a singing zombie?

• Jill LOL Was it Night of The Living Dead? ” THEY ARE COMING TO GET YOU BARBARA! The famous line from that movie! Yah the other girls on the voice are moving ahead of Mia! I dont know if everyone likes those Dolphin Language noises!

• Jill, I think the reason I suddenly like Koryn is because her tone is so different! Its huskier and deep! I find it quite different. I guess Im tired of everyone sounding alike every year! I dont think i have heard a tone of voice like hers! I think Hannah and Brian might go home, but I wish Corey would go. Im still mad they got rid of Cody Wickline. He could have won or at least be amazing up until top 4 or so! Corey is awful! There is no way Blake will win with Corey!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Yeah, Night Of The Living Dead….LOL! Even the other zombies hated her singing! By the way The Z in her name stands for ZOMBIE!

• Jill are you serious? The Z really stands for Zombie? Well her and Jax would get along great, because Jax is always obsessed with the Zombie stuff!

• Jill, Its kind of too bad that Deanna screwed up her performance because she at least has the looks! She is really pretty!

• Jill, I dont think Deanna will be in the bottom because she has done 2 religous songs in a row, and the christian vote is pretty big lately! Burnett, the guy that has this show is very religious. Did you know that? I may be wrong about Deanna going, but I would rather have Corey and Hannah go.

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Kidding about the Z! Maybe it is ZOMBIE! Yeah, JOAX and MARBLE MOUTH…..a new zombie singing sensation!

• Jill Im going to just die and crack up listening to Beat It! I mean, who is the DUMMY that picked that song? Jill do you think Brian and Hannah will go home? I want it to be Corey and Hannah going home! Corey is awful. Worse than Brian. Adam gave Brian a bad song! Adam does that every year! And Blake messed up not keeping Cody Wickline. His voice was amazing!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

My friend who you know and will meet picked Koryn before anyone realized just how good she is! I never fully agreed but she is wise! She loves her!

Someone on Idol blog (the blog about song choices) put down Melinda, saying she’s not so good since Idol as she hasn’t much of a career! My opinion is she’s much better than Carrie, Clarkson, terrible Fantasia and average Phillip Phillips, as well as ALL the Idols! Just because she hasn’t made it big doesn’t lessen her taent!

Look at success T Swift has had, Fantasia has had and they stink! People will buy anything! Just because They have a good career, doesn’t mean they’re good singers!

After all, Underwood has no vibrato and on Idol stood still like a mummy, and she wins! Oh I forgot, Eating Circuit finals are over….First Place….Glover:12 pies, Second Place….. Clarkson: 11.25 pies (and 3 gallons of wine). Third Place…. The Velvet Teddy Bear:11.15 pies!.

36. Marti says:

So sick of “Imagine”. It was cloying when Lennon recorded it and it just gets worse with age and repetition. It should totally be one of those songs that is never, ever allowed in a singing competition.

• T.B. Hammer says:

Like David (Archaleta?) on Idol years back and other talent show participants, they seem to get a lot of love for that song, since the very young fans are not all that tired of it, and some older fans still revere the song.

• MC says:

I prefer “Instant Karma” as my go-to Lennon solo song. However, “Imagine” can be uplifting if it’s done in the correct way. It really seems to work best with a piano accompaniment. There was a young chap named Garrett Gardner on The Voice who delivered an extremely underrated version of “Imagine.” The combination of piano playing and a plaintive, but patient vocal made it very memorable. Great stuff, especially for a competition show. I also loved Shakira’s mesmerized, yet adorable reaction to Garrett.

37. Kim Moores says:

Also, why were the coaches PRAISING Sawyer on his attempt at a nonexistent falsetto.
    He literally went for the note and only air came out. He’s lucky that it happened at such a convenient point in the song otherwise that would’ve looked much dumber.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Not just the judges. Slezak gave that mess an A-minus. Huh? It boggles my mind how people are able to overlook someone flubbing a high note when they’re in a singing competition. If we don’t hold singers accountable for not being able to sing in a competition that involves singing, I’m failing to understand what the point is. He messed up last week too. [shakes head]

• Kim Moores says:

Hell, he ranked Sawyer above Rob. Which is a definite false statement.
        Sawyer’s falsetto was more nonexistent than Lowell Oakley’s presence in the top 12….yet he gets praised for his ‘improvising’ when all he did was keep attempting that stupid thing.

38. Kara says:

Ellen did ten times better than Britney Spears “That was amazing” in baby talk On XFactor

39. Mytake says:

OMG Rob Taylor!! You put a spell on me! WOW I’m loving this guy

40. danin says:

I thought there were a boatload of good to great performances tonight. The worst ones were Mia&Deanna.

41. Carrie says:

Kimberly – took me straight to the iTunes! Holy happiness that was gooooooooood. Sawyer is like a little prophet preachin’ and I loved Koryn and Meghan tonight. I’m so happy for Christina to have such a solid team this season – still got some competition but its hers to lose this season. I think India did better than Mia – not sure about the grades above – Mia kills on that dolphin note but swallows her lyrics.

42. Isabella Saxon says:

Sawyer jumped the shark for me tonight, alas. I hated the way he divided his lines on the word “You” and then dropped the rest of the sentence down low. The lyrics made no sense. The first part of the sentence floated in space, then a huge YOU, then he mumbled the rest. I’m starting to see that he does the same thing every time. Slow the song way down, change the line breaks, smile sweetly. I hope I’m wrong. Maybe Imagine just wasn’t the right song. I want to like him more than I do.

43. OverIt says:

I’m over the Mumbling MiaZ I thought she had a nice voice, but she just refuses to improve or take any coaching. Three mentors in a row have told her that her enuciations sucks and she doesn’t change. You still can’t understand a bloody word and she doesn’t have any interest in getting better. She doesn’t seem to care. So I don’t either.

44. BPaN says:

Kimberly has a great voice, no doubt’ But there was no subtlety there. Needed to be more yearning. Haley Reinhart did it much better in season 10 of AI. Sawyer was great, as always. I loved Meghan! Goodbye Deanna and Brian.

45. Frank says:

Megan, India, rob, Mia, Hannah top 5 in that order. Kimberly number 6. Good show, good talent, blows idol away.

46. Frank says:

Megan, Mia, rob, Hannah, sawyer, India, Kimberly was my top 6 in that order. Good show, good music, and good judges.

47. Alberta says:

Did adam throw Brian under the bus? Bad song choice!!! To bad, don’t forget ladt week!!!!

• Amanda says:

Adam has less interest in the singers than he does strategizing a win for himself! He kept Joshua as a back-up plan because his type always does well on this show but his main interest is clearly in developing Deanna. He tossed out Tonya cause he knew she’d overshadow Deanna and then kept Brian and suckered him into a horrible song choice that clearly wasn’t working in rehearsals. Brian was his buffer to give Deanna time to get over her nerves. To sustain her until then he’s been giving her easy-to-sing songs that pander to the Christian vote.

• T.B. Hammer says:

yes, that will cost Brian in the long run.

48. Lori says:

My top picks tonight, strayed from past weeks… hands down Kimberly, then Rob with Megan and India tying for 3rd. Distant 4th is Hannah. I am really tired of all this Sawyer love. He started out quirky, different.. now everything he sings is sung in a similar fashion. He never tried anything but a slow ballard with fokey overtones. Imagine is my fav song and when he couldn’t hit the high notes everyone made excuses. Anyone else made that mess and they’d be chastised. I will hate it if he wins this with
    so much talent here. Guaranteed, he will fade into oblivion before the closing credits.

49. Jill Moy says:

I thought nobody was great! Brian overmodulated????? You could hardly hear him! Even India flopped! Corey could win show????Another laugher! Blake made both crazy statements I mentioned!

50. NotVirgin Mary says:

I called Kimberly being the one to watch from the beginning. Her artistry, her confidence, her personality, it oozes out of every note. She knows how to use her instrument. She’s probably my favorite artist out of any season.

• Sharon says:

Kimberly is TOO old and belongs singing in her former career. She is not going to be the next star. Although she has a good voice we are not going to be buying her albums

• SusieH says:

How about owning your opinion instead of trying to bolster it with the royal “we” as though the faceless denziens of the internet voted you as their spokesperson.

It’s perfectly OK to say “she’s wonderful singer but I’M not going to buy her music because she’s old”. You thought it, own it.

• Jill Moy says:

SHARON,,

I’ll go one better; Kim has a high whining voice that I think is overrated! She may sell a record to a few relatives! Excuse me, what record company will sign her??? Alvin And The Chipmunks?