David Letterman's Star-Studded Farewell Guest List Revealed

David Letterman Primetime Special

Bill Murray, Oprah Winfrey, Jerry Seinfeld, John Travolta and Julia Roberts are among the A-Listers who will help usher David Letterman into late-night history.

CBS has unveiled the guest list for Letterman’s final 28 Late Show installments, beginning tonight and climaxing with his final broadcast on Wednesday, May 20.

In addition to the quintet above, Letterman will also be visited by George Clooney, Robert Downey Jr., Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Tom Hanks, Jack Hanna, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Keaton, Steve Martin, Sarah Jessica Parker (tonight’s headliner), Don Rickles, Ray Romano, Paul Rudd, Martin Short, Howard Stern, Bruce Willis, The Avett Brothers and Brandi Carlile, Elvis Costello, Dave Matthews Band, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones, Mumford and Sons, Ralph Stanley and Amos Lee.

Additional names will be announced in coming weeks.

1. Dj says:

I hope Bill Murray is his last guest ever. That would be the perfect ending.

2. Rex says:

I’m surprised Jay Leno and David Letterman couldn’t work it out so he could make one appearance on the show.

That would’ve been the one final week guest that could give the show a boost. Even if it was just Leno being a punching bag out there.

3. cozbaldwin says:

I hope for Drew Barrymore to give him a nice flash goodbye as well.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Drew Barrymore should have been on that list. Hope she’ll give Letterman a proper farewell. Can’t wait until September 8th when Stephen Colbert takes over The Late Show. He and James Corden are really going to shake up late night TV for CBS and maybe just maybe they’ll both give Fallon & Meyers a run for their money.

5. TV Gord says:

If she’s well enough, I’d love to see Teri Garr back one more time.

6. Gerald says:

So I’m guessing Joaquin Phoenix won’t be there.

7. BrightLight says:

As soon as I saw this list I immediately looked for Bruce Willis because I can’t wait to see what’s on his head during his last appearance.
    I’m really going to miss Letterman’s musical guests. He always has the best variety of acts, but maybe Colbert will have just as great of a selection.

• cozbaldwin says:

I feel the same. Letterman (or his producers) had good taste in music. And Colbert did, too, so I think it’ll remain good on the new Late Night.

• Angela says:

I loved Colbert’s musical choices on his show. Either they were well-known artists I enjoyed, or they were new names that were worth wanting to hear more from. His own love and appreciation for all types of music came through so well. I have no doubt that he’ll keep making good musical picks when he takes over :).
        As for Letterman, pretty impressive list of final guests there! Good to know he’s seeing to it his final episodes are full of enjoyable guests and interviews.

8. Jay says:

Oh man, I’ve been dreading this. Don’t go Dave!

9. hud says:

Wishing your life away too see who will make an appearance on a late night talk program seems somewhat short sighted. Does it really matter?

10. matty says:

I hope they get the following people:
    Sandra Bernhardt— appeared on his show over 30 times!
    Madonna— always an interesting guest…
    Drew Barrymoore— one of the more memorable guests he’s ever had…

11. queerbec says:

I would certainly expect Regis to be on this list!

12. Andrea says:

Billy Crystal has got to show up as well.

13. Jack says:

No Richards Simmons?!?! Some of my favorite Dave moments have been at the expense of Mr. Simmons…

14. TV Gord says:

Nina Tassler said at the TCA that they were in talks with Letterman to do “specials” leading up to his farewell. I wonder what happened there.

15. Amparo (Amy) Lopez says:

I’ve been watching David for years. I’m sure gonna miss him…I hope the next guy is as good as David.

16. While every show left is special, I still would like to see Dave let the band play some good old rock n roll for maybe 1/2 of the program. Dave has stated many times how the band show should be in the rock and roll hall of fame, so they are certainly due a tip of the cap for all those guys. I know there have been multiple changes over the last 10 years but enough of the band is there that we should hear them. Just saying