Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS Robert Herjavec

Have you ever wanted to see The Bachelor‘s Chris Soules dressed in a toga? How about Rumer Willis in purple face paint? Or Mark Ballas with the face of a bunny rabbit?

Well, even if none of those experiences were on your TV bucket list (and if they were, I have a lot of questions), Dancing With the Stars delivered them on Monday, as the remaining contestants took the stage for Disney Night.

And even though a fairytale ending was in store for Season 20’s strongest couples, one unlucky pair did not ride — er, sashay — into the sunset.

I’ll get to the results in a moment, but first, here are the highlights from Dancing‘s most animated evening yet:

BEST OF THE NIGHT | Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker (Paso Doble) — Rumer and Val may have bested Riker and Allison, numerically speaking, but the R5 singer undoubtedly delivered the most personality and power of the night. Truth be told, the rehearsal footage — in which Riker just wouldn’t stop milking that Jack Sparrow impression — left me worried that he wouldn’t take the paso doble seriously and fully embody the masculinity that was required of him. Instead, he brought so much energy to the performance that my only concern was how far Allison might fly across the ballroom during some of the most intense lifts.

MOST ENCHANTING | Noah Galloway and pro Sharna Burgess (Foxtrot) — Carrie Ann Inaba was right when she said Noah and Sharna’s routine was lacking in content, seeing as the war vet essentially stayed in one small section of the dance floor for most of the number. That said, the Aladdin-centric dance, set to “A Whole New World,” captured the exact magic that most other couples chased throughout the evening. As the couple beamed their way through the foxtrot (and Noah tapped Sharna adorably on the nose), their movements came with an ease that made the entire performance a joy to watch.

BEST RESPONSE TO PAST CRITICISM | Nastia Liukin and pro Derek Hough (Jazz) — This duo’s main critique throughout the past four weeks has been a lack of emotional connection, due to Nastia and Derek’s busy coast-to-coast schedules. In Monday’s routine, though, Nastia and Derek completely embraced the cutesy lip-syncing of their Frozen number and performed a jazz dance that was fun, lively and, most importantly, believably romantic. (Bonus points for not dancing a foxtrot to “Let It Go,” which I only just got out of my head after nearly 18 months.)

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Robert Herjavec and pro Kym Johnson (Quickstep) — Not even Robert’s unwavering enthusiasm could distract from his messy footwork in this Mary Poppins-themed number, which quite literally got off on the wrong foot. As the pace of the song increased, Robert’s movements seemed more and more frantic, which kept him from ever matching Kym’s grace and fluidity. The Shark Tank vet has been so eager throughout the competition — and his chemistry with Kym so infectious — that I don’t think this misstep will get them eliminated, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them in serious jeopardy next week.

And now, those all-important results:

THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Suzanne Somers and pro Tony Dovolani
Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson
Patti LaBelle and pro Artem Chigvintsev

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Suzanne Somers and pro Tony Dovolani
Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson

ELIMINATED
Suzanne Somers and pro Tony Dovolani

“I think all women my age should go on hormones,” Somers said, laughing, before adding of her partner, “He is a gentleman, and he gave me everything he had.”

Your turn! Were Suzanne and Tony the right choice for elimination? Which of tonight’s dances will earn your vote? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Angela says:

he brought so much energy to the performance that my only concern was how far Allison might fly across the ballroom during some of the most intense lifts.
    Hahaha, seriously! He was just flinging her all over the place!
    But yeah. I completely agree that their dance was fantastic. Very bad@ss and dramatic and in the true spirit of the story. I also agree on Noah’s dance-‘Aladdin’ is one of my personal favorite Disney films ever, so I appreciated the charm and sweetness they brought to that one. And I liked Rumer (the makeup on her and her partner, good god! NICE job, makeup department!)-I’m glad she got to stick with the character she wanted to play-and Nastia as well.
    I missed the judges’ comments on Robert’s dance, so seeing the low scores was a bit of a surprise-I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention to the footwork or whatnot. I thought it was fun, though *Shrugs*. If nothing else, he and Kym do have great chemistry, that’s for sure.
    Not bugged about the final two or who went home, though I am rather surprised Chris has managed to last as long as he has. He should be the next one to leave, then perhaps Patti after that. Beyond that point, though…whew. I dunno. It’d be a bit of a tough call then.

2. Anna Balin says:

Yes the right couple went home. Suzanne Somers acted like a whining diva. Very disappointed in her. She apparently felt she coudn’t be the star of the show and just wanted out anyway. Tony diserved better and I doubt this showing will boost Ms. Somer’s book sales.

• Tony usually does deserve better. He hasn’t had a viable partner since Melissa Rycroft! I so wish he would get someone capable of being a contender. Give golden boy Derek one of the golden oldies next season!

• Salsachick36 says:

I can’t stand Suzanne Somers. Notice even after all these years and all the controversy from her time with Three’s Company, she still said she was THE star of that show. Ugh. And peddling her hormones b.s. Dance wise she was okay but she was at the end. I like Tony, and he does tend to get the short end of thi stock with partners, but his choreo always comes off as slow and boring to me.

I hope Chris has a better week next week as his last hurrah and then Miss Patti goes. She is kicking butt but she doesn’t have much more to physically give in my opinion.

• Salsachick36 says:

*short end of the stick – sorry, forgot to proofread.

• Linda Zarrett says:

Well, I have to say I was hoping she would get farther in the beginning. For her age, she can really move, even if she was 19, she is pretty good, but the fact is I don’t think she has the depth they wanted (me, too) which is really too bad, as that is one thing an older dancer can really tap where the younger ones do not have the experience to do that. That is pretty unfortunate. And much like the pretty blond who was gone a week or two ago, don’t complain. That turned me off of her. I think this dance could have been better, and the Chrissy one was the same old same old for her. She should have done something more dramatic, and less the flip blond. But good for her for getting out there. I hope I look that good and can dance like that when I get to be that age.

3. Mason says:

Willow’s performance was fabulous and she looked amazin as Alice

Also enjoyed Patti’s dance for Wish Upom A Star was beautiful

4. BrittBrat says:

I wonder if Chris will go home next week. The way he talked to Witney might have turned people off!

I loved Ryker, Rumor, and Nastia tonight. Noah is amazing too.

• Jane says:

Witney is pretty rude herself.

• flutiefan says:

granted, i haven’t seen last night’s episode, but i’ve never seen Witney act in any way that could be described as “rude”.

• Jane says:

Last season she told Alfonso to “get his fat ass over here.” A few weeks ago she said something rude to Chris that I can’t remember word for word, but I remember looking over at my sister and she couldn’t believe how incredibly rude Witney was being either. She acts like a spoiled brat that cries when everything in her life isn’t perfect. Her attitude since she joined DWTS has been horrible and a huge turnoff. I love this show and all of the pros and troupe members, but Witney I can’t stand because of the way she acts. I wish they had left Lindsay as a pro instead of tried to make Witney a star and bumped Lindsay back to the troupe. :(

• Mytake says:

He’s a whiny douche. Even on the bachelor after a few weeks I could see that what they were peddling was a hard working farm boy looking for love. But in a very short time it was apparent he was as bad as Juan Pablo and only got on the show to make out with as many women as possible and for the “fame”. For someone stating they only wanted to find love I had to laugh when the next thing you know he’s fame ho’ing it up on DWTS. Just like every other bachelor/ette on that show, they all end up trying to stay in the spotlight in anyway they can.
      The way he whined and spoke to Lindsey shows what a weak and selfish excuse he is. Noah might have half Chris’s limbs, but he’s 10x the man Chris could ever hope to be. Not to mention just watching him on the bachelor and now dwts, he’s clearly limited in the intelligence department. Women are no doubt voting due to his exterior looks but they need to look deeper at his sadly lacking and rotten interior.

5. John says:

I thought Riker was good but I was surprised the judges didn’t say he needed to tone it down a little. I thought he was a little frantic and when he threw her on the ground he used too much force. Still good though.
    Noah’s was one of my favorites. Opposite of Chris. He looked like he was enjoying it and had great musicality, hitting all of those nuances.

6. Jane says:

I really loved some of the dances, but was disappointed in the scoring. I thought Ryker absolutely deserved to be at the top of the scoreboard. It seems every time Demi and Bruce are in the house Rumer gets over scored. I wouldn’t want to piss off Demi or Bruce either, but that’s no excuse to play favorites. I feel like they repeatedly just try and pick Nastia apart when she is b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t. Her technique is flawless. And anyone who does a jazz number in that big of a dress gets serious props!

7. I thought Chris and Whitney did a great job rebounding tonight…they have my votes. Love, love Rumer and Val….

8. Sia says:

I loved Willow and Marks performance ! Thought Rumor was good but the music was awful and I thought Ryker was good but you could tell Allison isn’t a professional ballroom dancer. Nastia and Derek are always good but they’ve basically been doing the same thing from week one I don’t connect to those two.

• Riker and Allison’s was good, but it didn’t really feel like a paso doble to me. But between her Emmy and his familial connection to the Houghs I think they’re here until the end.

9. Carrie says:

Rumor was AMAZING! I think the judges did get it right this week by scoring her one point higher than Derek and Nastia. And while Noah is incredibly inspirational – last week was undeniably his – this week was his partner’s.

10. Rafael says:

It is getting too hard for older contestants to win, but they can perform as along as they want in the meantime. They are mentally strong, but they are also physically weak.

11. Kim R says:

Love Disney week! :D I’m fine with who went home. It was quite a contrast in attitudes between Suzanne and Patti. I found Patti’s quite inspiring. The top performances were amazing. It will be interesting to see who is next to leave the competition.

12. KC says:

Mark & Willow was way too much background stuff – not enough focus on just the dancing. Mark needs to concentrate of the dance – NOT the look – he looked totally stupid in that rabbit outfit.

Riker & Allison were the best of the night.

13. penny says:

Sorry Suzanne went home. Tony is a poor looser. Always complaining. Show better off without him.

• Bob Backus says:

You should try watching the show, Tony has whined twice in the 8-10 years he’s been on the show. 1st time was when he walked out on that idiot reality show Kate, 2nd was with Suzanne, not understanding the judge’s comment.

• KatsMom says:

And then there was the week when he told Carrie Ann he was going to get her a rule book because she didn’t know what she was talking about. And then there was the week when he got defensive because the judges told him to actually give Marissa Jaret Winokur some choreography to perform because she can dance and he was treating her like she couldn’t giving her only the most basic steps. Tony has a long history of clashing with the judges.

14. Donna Jones says:

Although I think they definately had the 3 bottom couple right. I think that the couple that should have gone home were Chris and Whitney. He has consistently not done much dancing. It seems whitney dances around him a lot. I also think that for their age Suzanne amd Patti are doing pretty good. I do g know too many people their age that could look and perform as good as they do for their age. Obviously the younger crowd has the better chance to win but I give them a lot of credit for doing so well at their age and coming on the show. Also 1 more thing I don’t always agree with Len but especially this wee I don’t agree in judging Noah like the other contestants. It isn’t that he doesn’t want to do more involved sanding, it’s that the man can’t. And I hope he goes really far not for winning the trophy but for his extreme inspiration to anyone with a severe handica. He is a true winner in the sense of sportsmanship,courage and above all the inspiration to the old saying you can do anything. It’s so heartwarming to think of the people struggling with a severe handicap and think of them looking and being so inspired by Noah Noah you’ve won the best mirror all and trophy ball; the hearts of America and every person faced with a catastrophic injury or disability!!!

15. FDP says:

I think that the bachlor should have went home, he has an attitude that he does not want to be there, and he thinks that he is better than all the other dancers.

• Delaina says:

I said the same thing to my mother this morning. Monday’s episode even more so than the prior weeks. He couldn’t even be bothered to applause other dancers.

16. Leonardo says:

I was mad at how rude chris was to witney. He needs to go home next week I’m so sick of him!

17. mrs.T says:

I think Chris souls should go home.
    He’s just another (barely) pretty face.
    Too stiff for dancing, no real rhythm.

18. Mary says:

I love ms Patti. Not the best dancer but she embraces the contest. She tries her best, no complaints & takes the critiques with grace. Scores range 5-7 & always positive. Loved her comment abt her knee injury & compared to Noah…..class act!!