Exclusive

American Idol: Top 7 Song Spoilers Revealed!

Are you gonna go their way, or will your TV be playing the sound of silence when American Idol‘s Season 14 Top 7 take the stage this Wednesday (8/7c on Fox) to perform not one but two “American Classics”?

To help you make up your mind, TVLine’s got your exclusive first look at the contestants’ song choices.

A couple of tunes on the set list have never been performed during the Idol voting rounds (hi there, “American Girl” and the aforementioned Lenny Kravitz jam), while others (“Superstition,” “Piece of My Heart”) will take the Idol stage for the seventh time this week.

Without further ado, here’s the set list:

Quentin Alexander – Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way” and Simon & Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence”
Clark Beckham – “Moon River” (from Breakfast at Tiffany’s) and Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition”
Joey Cook – Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love” and “My Funny Valentine” (from Babes in Arms)
Nick Fradiani – Billy Joel’s “Only the Good Die Young” and Tom Petty’s “American Girl”
Jax – Michael Jackson’s “Beat It” and Janis Joplin’s “Piece of My Heart”
Tyanna Jones – Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary” and Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers’ “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
Rayvon Owen – Willie Nelson’s “Always on My Mind” and The Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin'”

Whose picks have you most excited? Which choices are making you say “Blerg!”? Sound off in the comments!

1. Christian says:

Yikes! Jax and piece of my heart does not sound like a good fit. Neither does Beat It

2. Tom says:

Poor Joey you should know your idol history, babe. My Funny Valentine can’t be touched by anyone other than Melinda Doolittle. The only other cover I’ll listen to of that song is that of Janice from Friends.

• Holly says:

Agreed about My Funny Valentine, unless Joey turns the song on its ear, thereby squelching any comparisons with the diving Ms. Doolitle.

• marie says:

Joey is a terrific jazz singer. Melinda’s rendition was superb, and Joey will do just fine. I’m a bit more concerned about the Airplane song….

• Temperance says:

Actually, I like Somebody To Love for her interpretation more than Valentine, which she will kill. I think she’ll take the week. Clark’s choices are also perfect, if too expected.

• sean1974 says:

Moon River, seriously? i was in my 20s when that song first came out and even at my advanced age, I say, Yikes, that’s too old…

• syb says:

I think that MFV will go well enough for Joey. Not real adventurous for her style, but I bet it will be nice. I’m a little more concerned about a song like Somebody to Love which doesn’t have much melody, and even the original is shouty. it will require a serious reworking. The biggest mistake IMO is Proud Mary. Everyone is tired of that one.

• Tyler says:

Agree @ Proud Mary comment. Jessica Sanchez tried it and failed. I have no idea why Tyanna will want to risk it. It has Tina Turner written all over it. It’s one of those iconic songs that you don’t touch.

• ctz says:

I’m always amazed that current participants don’t do their Idol homework.

• Really..these are terrible song choices American Idol you should have did better by them…think ratings

• Maxx says:

Completely agree! Although I think Clark picked well…looking forward to seeing him. I think Nick picked songs that are going to be hard for him to make his own…we will see. But overall agree it seems that don’t do their homework and look back at past winners catalogs though out the show.

• will says:

Really? You think Moon River is really an inspired song choice on a singing show in 2015? Alright.

• Temperance says:

The theme is ‘American Classics’: the point is that they aren’t ‘now’.

• Mary says:

@Temperance I think he meant if, and that is a big IF, any young ones are watching nobody over the age of 50 will know that song. God I am old and the only reason I know it was because my father who is now 82 used to play it. When he wins, which I think he will, I do not see him playing on any radio station. Jax OMG does she want to go home? Both of those songs are bad. Should be an interesting week.

• S. says:

@will and @Mary – Not sure why you think Moon River is such an old timey song people only know if a grandparent loved to listen to it. Plenty of young women know Breakfast at Tiffanys. Moon River isn’t a dusty song of yesteryear, it’s a classic because it’s gone beyond its time and is still loved today. I and many of my friends can speak to the generational appeal if there’s anybody skeptical about whether anybody listening to current music knows it. There’s a reason Joey Cook has the sound she does. Many of us listen to old school stuff and love it. The technique of good singing and songwriting isn’t unappreciated. We don’t all prefer autotune, sampling, and a simple hook. Many us appreciate songs with strong orchestration. It’s not actually all about that bass thumping in the car stereo.

• Tyler says:

Moon River was recently played during the sixth season of Mad Men. So some people under the age of 50 may have heard it before.

I actually think Rayvon chose the best songs this week. I remember Anoop went from zero to hero in Simon’s eyes with Always On My Mind. And because Long Train Running isn’t one of the Doobies’ biggest hits–there’s all kinds of things Rayvon can do with that song–if he choose to do it.

• Carrie says:

I love the idea of him doing Moon River – very different from his usual choices and FYI – I work across the street from Tiffany’s in NY and basically every single morning I catch tourists (many of them groups of women of all ages) taking pictures of themselves dressed like Audrey holding their coffee and breakfast in a bag to go (and some in their mom jeans and fanny packs which I find hilarious and the security guard and I smile at each other as I pass by – he is equally amused) so obviously there is a very large fan base for that classic film and if he does it justice it could be a great moment!

• karyn says:

Just because someone is singing a song that is overdone or someone else killed it, doesn’t mean the competitors don’t know that. Maybe they choose it because they know it is actually capable of giving them an Idol Moment TM (i.e., it did for someone at least once before) or the list of songs they can choose from is so abysmal they didn’t have any better choices. I’m betting it’s the latter, but if it’s the former, good for them for being willing to take the challenge and try to outdo Melinda or Adam Lambert or whoever.

• Jill Moy says:

Listen to Alice Fredenham’s singing of FUNNY VALENTINE! I do however think MD is best Idol ever! But, her judging of talent is very questionable!

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Melinda Doolittle doesn’t own MFV. She isn’t collecting any royalties off that song. Most viewers watching the show today don’t even remember Ms. Doolittle or her version of MFV. That was 8 years ago. She’s a fine singer, but she hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire since she left.

3. pl says:

Clark Beckham. Moon River? I sure hope he uptown funks the song, and doesn’t try to sing it like Andy Williams. And Superstition, that’s questionable too. The writings on the wall? Two songs heard maybe too many times? Unless, like I say he uptown funks them. IMO

• Hamish says:

The last time I recall Moon River on Idol was by Anwar Robinson. His version certainly wasn’t like the original Andy Williams version.

• Lizzie says:

Moon River is a gorgeous song – he should just sing it like Clark Beckham – you don’t uptown funk Moon River.

• Maxx says:

I am sure he will do a more Harry type version of the song…stripped back and very simple. (I know it’s a pretty simple song…but its how he emotes the song that will make him stand out)

• Mary says:

Expressionless like all of his other songs.

• Tyler says:

Not in his voice.

• Mary says:

I tend to disagree with you. Every song sounds the same to me, in fact I find it hard to remember what he sang. The police song was the only song that stood out for me. He has a great voice, but I do not see him making it big after the show if he wins. I could be wrong, time will tell.

• flutiefan says:

i’m worried about these song choices from Clark, too. Moon River? really? not sure that’ll connect. and i am seriously sick of Superstition on this show. way, way overdone. i almost don’t care how well he does it. it’s just tired.

• Well Im not as worried for Clark as we should be for Rayvon! Long Train Runnin! The Doobie Brothers? Thats going to be very hard! I dont see him doing well with that!

• If Quentin does make top 3, and they do the finale as usual, letting them perform with a guest singer, they cant use Lenny Kravitz because they already used him last year! But I was thinking that would be perfect for Quentin to perform with him! I cant remember which contestant sang with Lenny but someone did! Maybe they should get Prince!

• BradyBunch4U says:

Oh if Prince would do it, that would be incredible. I have always felt Quentin is a Lenny/Prince mash up.

• Brady Bunch4U, Yes he has always reminded me of Lenny and Prince and I actually saw an interview with Quentin on afterbuzz tv where he mentions Prince would be a great mentor!

• Mary says:

I think Rayvon is gone this week no matter what he sings so it really doesn’t matter. He will be in the bottom two and I do not see him getting twitter saved again unless the other one totally destroys theirs.

• This would be actually the 4th week he is in the bottom. Im counting when Maddie and Adanna Duru had to go , he was in the bottom that week also! I feel that if you are in the bottom continuously that its time to go home! What if he gets the twitter save again and someone good goes home? Yikes! Like Tyanna or Quentin!

• Mary says:

Hush, don’t even think it. If he goes against Jax I wouldn’t mind him staying but anyone else he needs to go.

• A White House, TN supporter says:

I don’t think he’ll sing “Moon River” like Frank Sinatra or Andy Williams….So far he hasn’t sung any song “like” the original artist; he’s sung everything “like” Clark Beckham. These two songs will help showcase his versatility as an artist; one slow and soulful, and one funky and soulful. Maybe they have been done and re-done on this show like a worn-out record, but the do fall into the “American Classics,” catalog, and they fit well within the theme of this week’s show. He’ll just bend them and belt them like Beckham.

• Mary says:

What versatility every song sounds the same. Yes it is like Clark, but repetitive just the same. I find it ironic that the judges tells other contestants to mix it up, yet it is okay for Clark to be same old, same old.

4. Jules says:

The only real eyebrow raise is Jax and Nick’s two choices. I hope Clark sings Moon River exactly like the classic without all the runs and groove we are used to from him. Show a different side. Quenin’s “Sound of Silence” should be good. Joey will kill on “Somebody to Love”. I think those are really good choices for Tyanna and Rayvon though I am not sure Rayvon’s are good “save” choices and I think he will need it again.

5. BrittBrat says:

I can’t wait to hear Quentin do Lenny Kravitz! I hope it sounds good.

6. Joe says:

Tyanna will kill Proud Mary forsho. Sing sould sistah!

• Lizzie says:

I’m a little worried that this song will get away from Tyanna – the girl has a great voice, but sometimes on the up tempo songs, she finds herself in a race with the band.

7. flicker says:

I’m super excited about all the selections!

8. MSD says:

Frankly, I didn’t need to read the rest of the list when Quentin- “Are You Gonna Go My Way” was at the top. Its like my dreams are coming true. (Also, I’m one to never forget Jamar Rogers killin’ AYGGMW on The Voice)

9. Carola says:

Quentin´s song choices are like the BEST. Can´t wait to watch, I know he will nail them.

10. Nan says:

Joey should be singing Joni Mitchell, not Grace Slick. IMO these selections are awful. I see a bad moon rising. JMO

• Joey singing the vocals of Grace Slick? Ummmm Noooo! Somebody to love is not going to be good! I hope Grace doesnt watch the show and see the mess Joey is going to make of it! She will turn Jefferson Airplane into Joeys Hinky Air Balloon! Yikes!

• sosideirish says:

Exactly! Don’t care for her style at all! Worse yet, her insistence on making every song into her own version is grating. Make her go away, please!

• Mary says:

I find her one of the most interesting characters on there beside Quentin. Now Jax is the one I find grating, I guess to each their own. the rest are just there nice voices but not excited to see them.

• SOSIDEIRISH! I wish she would go away too! Getting tired of her same junk every week!

11. dan the critic says:

Maybe one time Clark will be safe in the first half of the show.

12. Granny C says:

Jax HAS to be kidding. Her voice can’t carry off either of those songs and I shudder to think how she might try to switch them up to attempt to make them work.

• Granny C I SHUDDER TO THINK ALSO! I just cant stand how she ruins every song! Ughh! Her Lady GaGa performance was laughable! Push the reject button please! Bottom 2 please!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

I wonder if incompetant Scott picks these songs? Joax the Hoax and Joey’s are really laughable! Also, do girls wanna be guys? Girls go by Joey, Andy, etc., etc.! How many females are named Joey?????

Rayvon can’t sing anything good, so choices don’t matter! Maybe Joey will have green hair this week! Tyanna may do ok this week and Quentin as well!

• Temperance says:

It must feel like a real slap in the face that large chunks of the country obviously disagree with you. Frankly, I couldn’t disagree more.

• Temperance We shall have to see what happens!

• Temperance, also I will be ready to eat a big plate of crow AND slap myself in the face if she wins! Kind of like last year when I loved Caleb and everyone here hated him and he won! IM sure there were large platters of crow everywhere on this blog! If im wrong , I will admit it!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA YOU WERE RIGHT! Maybe Joax the Hoax, the Moax will BEAT IT FOR GOOD as a result of singing BEAT IT!

• Jill, I was just reading on Sawyers facebook that his parents are from Newtown Conneticut? That is where they had that terrible school shooting! Luckily Sawyer has always been home-schooled!

• jen mac says:

i hear ya,
      she dosent have the depth or power in her vocals to do these songs YIKES

13. I don’t like Jax’s facial “X” or her wardrobe. Why can’t the contestants appear “normal”?

14. Lizzie says:

Quite a few retreads in the song choices for this week – particularly where the original is good enough, that it’s tough to listen to season after season have someone try to do it justice. Rayvon and Jax for the bottom 2.

15. wooster182 says:

Jax will be in the bottom 2 next week if that’s her song choice…

16. flutiefan says:

as i love the 2 songs Nick chose, i just hope he can pull them off!

17. Angela says:

I love “American Girl”. Hopefully Nick will do a good job with that one.

18. Purple says:

Actually, I think Jax may sound better singing blues songs. Her style is sometimes kind of similar to Janis Joplin in a present day setting.

Clark and Joey’s selections sound great.

I don’t understand Nick’s selections. I hope he has the “moment” with those songs.

Rayvon sounds more like someone with a soulful voice. I don’t understand why he picked those two songs when they are plenty of songs he could sing that could bring out his voice. Maybe he wanted something different.

Tyanna’s selections is the same style she usually sings. Sort of fast and peppy. I hope people get into it.

Quentin has been picking out some songs that fit his style really good. I want to see what he does with these two songs.

• Jill Moy says:

Jax can’t sing anything good!

• jen mac says:

Ditto

• Stephen says:

If she can’t sing anything good, why have mentors called her one of the best on the show and why has she been one of the few to crack the iTunes top 100? i guess it’s true that haters are gonna hate. I’m not a fan of Joey or Quentin, but I’d never say they can’t sing good. They are good artists, just not my cup of tea.

• Jill Moy says:

STEPHEN,

SHE STINKS! I could care less what these idiots say! She sounds and looks terrible! Maybe (I’ve mentioned before) Joax (as in JOKES) and JOEY can form a comedy team and win 1st price on AGT! They are terrific comedians!

• Stephen says:

Haha omg I’m dying! So Boy George, Kelly Clarkson, Florida Georgia Line, Adam Lambert, etc don’t know what they’re talking about? Ok now I’ve heard it all 😂

• Jane says:

Why Do Fools Fall in Love was the first record I ever bought and I was in seventh grade. I’m pushing 72 now – I don’t get it.

19. jenni4955 says:

Clark and Quentyn! Should be awesome.

20. MJSpear says:

While I think Clark will Win It All (and that’s fine with me!) I have to admit I will miss both Quentin and Joey… it’s always fun to see what they’re going to sing/do next. I guess I wish AI were sometimes like Miss America and they could have different categories: “Most Original” “Miss/Mr. Can’t Look Away From” “Miss/Mr. I’ll Never Buy Your Music but Love Watching You Perform” … you get the idea.

21. Brother Andy says:

Would you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE address why Jax and Joey sing in a stilted fashion and no one ever mentions it? Their pronunciations of words are bizarrely effected, in some sort of weird accents. Judges tell singers not to sing “countrified” if they don’t normally speak in a twang but these two women sing in the back of their throats, massacre vowels, and emphasize the wrong part of the words’ syllables without reason. This keeps happening without any comment to the point of being odd in of itself. How “quirky” and “original” would these two be without the “tricks”?

• Jill Moy says:

They are actually comedians!

• SeaOfMusic says:

I TOTALLY agree with you!!

• jen mac says:

I can’t say for Joey but I can tell you Jax really can’t sing that good. I listened to some of her early stuff on youtube granted she was younger but her vocals were awful. I guess she manufactured this overly affected style recently and is hanging on to it, it isn’t her natural voice. I know the producers like her so anytime JLO refers to it as “that thing that you do with your voice” i’m sure if Jax puts it on thick this week JLO will say oh jax your back,
      Well the fake voice is back lol

• Granny C says:

Absolutely, totally, 100% agreed!

22. Sometimes I get confused. The judges will mention the singer should do more on the stage to not be boring while at other times, they will admonish the singer for not being able to deliver a ‘radio recording’ performance. A radio recording performance in my opinion is playing up to the mike.

• T.B. Hammer says:

The Judges are also pushing and shoving around any little speech that keeps America thinking they are “helping” or giving “critique” in a positive way. If I ever get a singer into the top live shows on Idol, I would not want Borchetta picking their songs and I would tell them to avoid pandering to all the Judges scattered advice.

I think the Judges are a little miffed because ratings are not growing and they sometimes want to blame the contestants,,, instead of accepting responsibility for how they put the show together. ..

They handpicked a top 24, then added 2 wildcards themselves, burned a save that eventually got overturned by America, and along with TPTB,, pick the singers placement in rotation,- brought-in the surprise twitter save that partially divorced the voting of the west coast.

23. Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

Very concerned for Jax’s choices, but honestly, after being in the bottom 2 two weeks in a row, pretty sure Rayvon is going home. Those choices for him are snoozers, too.

• T.B. Hammer says:

But, Rayvon still may be able to win a twitter war, come in like a wrecking ball and eliminate Joey,—- stay, instead of Tyanna, or send Quentin home with a tip-of-the-hat.,,

, Maybe nobody is safe with twitter. If he gets 3 saves, the producers may start getting their own twitter heat turned up against them. It wouldn’t surprise me if they kill this twitter deal soon, since they know it could now backfire and blow-out someone they hope to have in top 3.

• Temperance says:

Rayvon and Nick will do a nice, servicable job that I forget by voting time.

24. I nodded off just reading Clark was going to sing Moon River. The most boring contestant singing the most boring song imaginable. I hope he’s last.

25. Beth says:

Same old mess. They will change the “lyric/tune” so much you can’t recognize the song. Where is Simon when we need him. AI history for me. The Voice so much better

26. Amanda says:

It is almost like Jax WANTS to go home. I am laughing just picturing her doing those songs and no doubt she will ruin both with her hideous rearrangements and whispers. However I think regardless of how she does, the show is gonna bend over backwards to make sure she is in the Top 5 cause Scott seems obsessed with her.

• jen mac says:

I know he likes her but why????

• Amanda says:

He probably thinks she is “marketable” or whatever. Personally I am not seeing it but I am often perplexed at who the producers shove to the forefront.

• Stephen says:

I think Jax will do fine. I’m sure Scott loves her because he sees dollar signs. Jax has the voice, artistry, style, personality, and is gorgeous. Not to mention 50k+ Twitter followers and 85k Instagram followers. This is a business. Scott wants someone who is going to sell. So far the only two that are consistently on the iTunes charts are Clark and Jax.

27. Temperance says:

So, a Nick/Rayvon bottom two, for sure.

28. jen mac says:

Jax some artist? heard the GaGa arrangement was actually done by a band called Leftover Cuties and this isn’t the only arrangement she performed as her own. Really???

29. Larc says:

I question whether some of these songs are genuine classics. But Idol has been known to stretch themes to cover songs with no more than an imagined connection.

30. Ralton Hendricks says:

Tyanna superstar quality

31. I’m so ready tonight to hear all these amazing artists work their magic on these iconic classic songs. Watching the contestant performances to-date leads me to not pre judge the song choices for each. It will be fun to see the new generations take on these songs tonight. I’m sure we’ll be surprised.

Joey – totally make these 2 songs yours but don’t forget to belt out your feelings and show the love within.

32. marie says:

In recent seasons, the various production teams have softened the tone of American Idol significantly. They no longer present endless bad auditions with the aim of making the audience laugh at the prospective contestants. Cruel ideas have been quashed after a single season: the bus ride back to nowhere; the airplane hanger of doom. Idol has even evolved from the days of harsh-tongued Simon, who sometimes seemed himself more self-“indulgent” – his term – than the contestants he lambasted; the current judges, while sometimes critical, as they should be, do not come across as outright mean-spirited.

So why does there have to be so much hate, mockery, and ridicule in some of the comments on this board? Isn’t simply saying, So-and-so doesn’t appeal to me, or I don’t like what s/he does with her/his voice, sufficient? Is it necessary to outright make fun of contestants, mocking their appearance and facial expressions, and cast aspersions on their personalities without even knowing them personally?

Michael Slezak’s Idol posts on TVLine are well-known; I’d be surprised if some of the producers and contestants didn’t read them. Is it really so easy to make fun of these kids – and most of them ARE young – without considering how they might feel if they were to read those comments?

Sometimes reading these comments is very disheartening to me.

I have a feeling I’m going to be blasted for this post; have at it if you will.

Again the board ate my post, so if two more or less the same appear, as sometimes happens, it’s the board gremlins at work.

• MAB says:

Marie, I so agree with you. There are a handful of posters on this blog that are so cruel it is hard to read these post. For what purpose is it necessary? These are kids who I give a lot of credit to for having the guts to get on stage and perform week after week. Yes, we will not all agree with who we like but because we don’t agree that does not make that performer horrible. Some people here are cyber bullies and it makes me sad for the kids who most likely read this stuff.

33. marie says:

Ok, now one of my first posts appeared, but two subsequent posts – just testing to see if I still COULD post – have disappeared. This board has some issues!

34. Stephen says:

What is with all the Jax hate? She’s easily one of the best contestants on this season and one of the few that will sell. Look how fast her social media accounts have gained followers. The majority of the reviews on iTunes for the top 8 cd were for Jax. She also got a shoutout from RedOne and Lady Gaga, not to mention love from Kelly Clarkson and Boy George. I guess those people don’t know what they’re talking about? I think she will do well with her songs this week. The only one that is questionable is the Michael Jackson song, but I think she will do a cool arrangement.

• MAB says:

So true but for some reason this blog hates her. Scott loves her because he knows how marketable she is. Her Twitter account blew up in no time. She has a way with her fans and they adore her. I am not crazy for everything she does but I give her a lot of credit because she takes chances. She never plays it safe. I am worried about her song choices this week but I am looking forward to see what she does with them. One thing about Jax is she is never dull.

35. gloria says:

send all the judges home

36. Jill Moy says:

Jax will go nowhere after AI no matter what mentors say! Jax has the appeal of a wet noodle! She was never good! Her singing is laughable, just like Jena (MUMBLES) Irene who I said the same about last year!

• Jill, These people that like Jax I just dont understand them! She wouldnt even ever get a chair to turn on the voice! Think of that! But I dont think the voice would allow her to keep changing songs that drastically week after week! And ruining them!

37. gary rispoli says:

Nick is by far best performer and next idol clark is boring good for one song but couldnt take that just standing there with his pants pulled up to high

38. Losing faith says:

Why would anyone do Michael Jackson?? I can’t imagine how she is about to reconstruct this song :( This show has really bored me this season. I don’t understand what’s the problem with singing a song the way it is. Maybe add a new thing here and there but the whole entire song!! It’s getting out of control. And when did talking become singing? Especially Jax and Joey. They do that talk sing thing that drives me crazy! I think Why Do Fools Fall in Love is going to suit Tyanna very nicely Like Rockin Robin. I don’t understand how Nick is still here either – he’s always sleepy to me. Clark can really sing, but God give that boy a personality. If he doesn’t bring personality with these song choices it will fall flat. I do like Quentin’s choices. He is a performer and can bring on those (vocals do need more work). Rayvon probably will be gone this time regardless, but when he did Adele I finally saw him let go in that save. Maybe he can carry that to this round and stop being so cocky.

39. Granny C says:

Hallelujah! A list of songs that I know!

40. JoMarch says:

I’m with Melissa on Quentin. I don’t get this “magic” stuff…

41. Brian McDonough says:

Quentin made himself look WACK with his comment.

42. Crystal says:

Quinten Alexander needs to go home his comments, attitude and behaviour tonight are a very sad site to see. People work for years to the chance he has on the show what an ass!!!

43. Brian McDonough says: