Revenge Recap: The Circle of Death

Revenge‘s future might still be up in the air, but Sunday’s clip show — which employed scenes from the past to paint a disturbing vision of the future — certainly felt like the lead-up to a series’ final run.

During a live TV interview — which, I should note, she expertly hijacked from Victoria — Emily took viewers on a walk down Memory Nightmare Lane, recalling the lives lost as a result of the ladies’ long-running feud. And as much as those flashback clips of Daniel made me miss the ol’ bastard, nothing could have prepared me for that gut-wrenching look back at Emily’s too-short life with Aiden. (I’m starting to think I’ll never get over his death, to be honest.)

That’s when Emily, summoning more shade than any Real Housewife I’ve ever seen, subtly accused Victoria of murder… on live, national television. “It’s in your hands,” she said to the camera, a moment about which I have two important thoughts: (1) The news doesn’t just play 24/7 in Times Square, much less out-loud, and (2) There’s no way Victoria would be caught slumming through that tourist trap. Not when she can afford a car service, damn it!

And did anyone else giggle when the reporter asked, “Did you ever have to harm anyone physically?” Please, that girl couldn’t get out of bed in the morning without threatening someone’s life.

TEAM VICTORIA | Though Margaux initially appeared to be a weak link in Victoria’s trio of wickedness — she even came clean about Em…anda causing her miscarriage — she realigned herself with the dark side after hearing Emily attack Victoria in her interview. (Oops! Guess that one kind of backfired on Emily.) That said, I’m kind of surprised Margaux agreed to lend her support; even Victoria’s best argument (“She selected my son for sacrifice long before he sacrificed himself”) was pretty weak.

NOLAN’S BLUNDER | Question: Does Nolan want to get himself and Emily exposed? For an alleged computer genius, letting Victoria get her hands on a hyper-incriminating flash drive was the work of a total noob. Emily was completely justified in lashing out at him, though it always hurt my heart to see best friends at odds; and don’t get me started on that scene between Jack and Nolan by the fireside. I don’t know where that bromance came from, but I never want it to leave.

WHO DAT? | And then there was this final moment:

Emily Revenge Spoilers

Any idea who might be circling Emily with her own damn Sharpie? And am I alone, or did that post-episode promo — “be there for the final four episodes” — make this feel very much like the last season? However you’re feeling as we head into the home stretch, drop a comment below.

1. kn1231 says:

Loved the episode! Those flashbacks really helped me remember what I love/loved about this show and why I am still watching today! Definitely going to have to binge watch the earlier seasons again really soon. Did anyone else cheer when Margaux told Victoria she wouldn’t help her, only to start yelling at your TV as soon as she flipped back to Team Victoria. And Louise, come on girl… Victoria didn’t care about you until you were useful. Louise isn’t even crazy anymore (thanks to Emily and Nolan) but she still is making poor decisions. Also, speaking of Emily…. Amanda will always be Emily to me. Calling her Amanda is not something I can do after referring to her as Emily for so long. In closing, this may be an unpopular opinion but I would really like to see Charlotte back before they show raps up. I think her portion of the story needs an ending.

2. Scott says:

I think it was Lydia at the end.

3. A says:

I’m guessing it’s her mother with the red sharpie at the end.

• English says:

Ooh! I forgot she’s still out there!

• Pitapita says:

Oh my god! Didn’t think of her. But why would she plan a revenge for her daughter? Because Emily didn’t even once mention her in her coming out interview?? (I’m totally joking, but well…)

4. English says:

I think it’s Lydia. And I could help but notice the “end” feeling. Then the promo says “Final four episodes”….

5. Candice says:

I think it’s Mason Treadwell. The obvious choice would be Lydia, but I’m a little spoiled.

• TT says:

He already knows everything though. She did promise him an exclusive,but she helped him escape prison, so he can’t be that mad.

6. Jen says:

I’m thinking the new red-sharpie wielder is Lydia. Maybe Charlotte, but I think she will ultimately come down on Emily’s side. As far as the last season theory – as much as I have loved this show, I’m not sure I could handle watching it continue to disintegrate for another year. Killing off Conrad, Daniel, and Aiden did so much damage to it. And really, what’s left to show?

7. Jen says:

I forgot about Mason!! She never cleared his name AND she had promised him an exclusive on her story. So I say it’s between him and Lydia.

• cass says:

I didn’t even consider it was Lydia (although Emily did mention her in the episode)… I thought it was Mason because didn’t she send him to a tropical place and promise him an exclusive when everything was over? I bet he is mad that she didn’t keep her word and she ruined his opportunity for a comeback.

8. Alichat says:

I have a feeling the red sharpie person was Lydia…….that’s why she was mentioned in the short list of people the former prosecutor was trying to track down. The only other options are Ashley Davenport, or Charlotte but that didn’t look like rehab.

• kn1231 says:

Ashley would be an interesting choice. But her coming back as the ultimate revenge seeker is even worse than Margaux as a believable enemy.

• Alichat says:

True, but she would be the most surprising I think since they made a point of mentioning Lydia in this episode. Kinda buries the surprise. But others have mentioned Mason, and that would be an interesting one as well.

• cass says:

actually, maybe the reason they didn’t say anything about Mason is so that it would be more of a shock that it was him?

9. Juan says:

We better get a final 5th season. I know this was a mostly a flashback episode but damn, it was such a good episode. All the memories of Fauxmanda and aiden where heartbreaking. And it reminded me that Victoria has done way worse things in the war. Also pretty sure that was Lydia so excited about her coming back. And kinda mad that Louise is just so fickle. They rescued her and this is how she repays them.

10. E says:

So the mystery person at the end could totally be Mason. She did help him escape from prison and he is writing a book about her. I really hope this isn’t the final four episodes. I love the show but could stand for a short season this fall to tie everything up. I know no one gets a happy ending in a story about Revenge but it doesn’t keep me from hoping for one anyway.

11. JBC says:

I liked this episode, it was really well done with the flashbacks. editing was great. I think the one who circled Amanda’s picture is Mason. She promised him the exclusive interview/book or whatever and now she already has told the world. Sounds like we are making a way to the series ending. I really enjoyed watching David and Amanda sitting on the porch together sharing about the past. Jack and Amanda will end up together I predict.

12. Anna says:

“Please, that girl couldn’t get out of bed in the morning without threatening someone’s life.”
    Spoken like a true pacifist, Andy :-)!

13. Christine says:

What do you mean where did that bromance come from?! Those two have been bromancin it up since season one! And I adore them!
    Also good riddance to Aiden. Never liked him and this random memorial didn’t change that.

14. Alyse says:

I’m still not over Aiden’s death, and probably won’t ever be either. I really wanted him and Emily to get their happy ending together.

• wrstlgirl says:

I really liked Aiden too. I thought he was a great character and was pissed when they killed him off, LOL!!

• Julie says:

Ugh me too. But with his death I wouldve even taken Daniel and Emily because I rooted for them to have a legit relationship prior to Aiden joining the show. But now Emily is going to end up with Jack by default – because there is literally no one left. Annoying – I love Jack but just not with her. Nick W and Emily VC don’t have nearly the chemistry she had with Josh or Barry. They’re better off as friends. And Nolan and Emily will forever be my favorite friendSHIP on this show.

15. TT says:

I don’t think it was Conrad (it better not be). David gutted him pretty good in the middle of the night on a deserted road. I don’t see him surviving that and it would be stupid. Plus didn’t he already know that Emily was Amanda and had done some stuff to screw everyone who helped him ruin David? Judging from Christa B Allen’s Instagram she is coming back. Hopefully she helps take down Victoria. That woman would not know the truth if it came up and slapped her in the face. Even with people on her side she still can’t tell the full truth. She is more guilty than Emily. Louise and Margeaux are both idiots.

16. Scott says:

I’m pretty sure that was a woman at the end and not Mason

Why isn’t Amanda’s mom coming back?

17. Rachel says:

I was sort of done with this show when they killed Aiden, he was the only one who truly understood her. I stopped watching the show altogether when Daniel died, and rely on the episode recaps to keep me up to date. I think this show has just reached the end of the line.

• leni says:

I hear ya… Aiden’s death was the final blow for me… Deep down I’d like to think that he was not dead and alive somewhere waiting for emily

18. MDC says:

I’m pretty sure it was Mason at the end. They shouldn’t have released episode stills for the next episode with he and Emily if they wanted us to wonder. She promised him the exclusive to her story, but in her defense, didn’t they fake his death? If he’s supposed to be dead how could she keep that promise? Ha! More than anything I’m going to miss Jack and Nolan’s bromance. It was always my favorite relationship on the show. We’ve gotten more of it lately and I love it. I wish they would just forget about Emily/Amanda and go live their own lives. Can they have their own show? Two men and a toddler?

19. aisha447 says:

The episode was great with all the flashbacks and everything. Check out my blog televisioncritics.wordpress.com

20. nikki says:

I miss Conrad. Victoria is useless without him. I miss their insults to each other.

• Sylvia says:

Final 4 episodes,I hope not. There’s nothing else to watch on Sundays. My guess is Lydia, who circled Emily’s, no Amanda’s face. The way this episode was moving, it seemed like the Beginning of the End…..

21. parstl says:

Hope they renew for a half season. The show was bound to lose viewers when they kill off or disappeared 70 percent of the cast. If it’s the end, hope Nolan and Emily (don’t want to call her amanda) go into business or an endeavor of some kind…that’s been the most stable relationship in the show. Also hope Jack ends up with Emily.
    As to who is circling Emily picture, did we ever really see the dead body of the fauxAAmanda?

22. Sylvia says:

23. Brandon says:

It’s totally Conrad. (I hope.)

I think that commercial pretty much said this is the end of the series. *sniff*

24. nate says:

I thought it was Lydia at the end. But it looked like a man hand

25. Tamara says:

It looked like a masculine hand and naturally, Mason WOULD drink a fruity cocktail. But Enily’s cocky statement that she had taken care of Lydia made me wonder. She’s been itching for Emily’s takedown for awhile.

Tonight’s show reaffirmed that Aiden and Emily were soulmates. Jack who?

26. Shannon says:

I think honestly it was Mason or Lydia. Lydia has always wanted to expose Emily, but everyone knows now why she was undercover. Mason though, very good. She promised Mason an exclusive interview for his book and then gave an exclusive to this interviewer to stop victoria. She had sent him to the Caymans after all. Can’t wait to see. I think everyone expects Lydia. mason would be perfect

27. Georgette says:

This series just keeps getting better and better and I hope Victoria gets what’s coming to her. G

28. dsl says:

In the scene where Victoria and Louise were searching for the flash drive, I thought I was watching Night of the Living Dead. The both looked just like a couple of zombies. Especially Louise – she looked like she was starring in a horror movie.

29. Tamara says:

Can we also discuss how weak Louise’s motivation is? So she’s pusses Nolan lied to her and is closer to Emily. Fair enough. But she seems to be forgetting that without either of them, she’d be locked away in the loony bin and would only be able to afford Wonder Bra if it weren’t for them. I

30. N says:

Loved this episode. It will always be Nemily for me.

31. Iris Gerhardt says:

The mysterious circler, in my opinion was Mr. Conrad Grayson.

32. Santiago says:

Mason will show up in the next episode. There are pictures of him with Amanda and he is credited as guest. And so does Gail O’Grady who plays Stevie. So I think that was the introduction of Mason comeback

I would love it if it was Conrad or Lydia…..I’m praying a lot for Conrad to be alive a-la-DavidClarke lol

Another thing…..I want season 5 BUUUUT….If the feud between Victoria and Amanda (I’ve always called her Amanda) ends…there would no reason for the show to continue. That’s the reason for the show to exist after Amanda’s mission to clear David’s name. I mean….the feud will end only if one of them dies or goes to jail permanently…..and obviously the show won’t go on without Emily….

given the fact that Victoria dies by the end of the show…I want it to end this seasno. If NOT THEN PLEASE SEASON 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Nicole Williams says:

It was so Lydia circling Miss Thorne I mean Miss Clarke’s face. But they should let that dead dog die seriously. Oh by the by not great to show Charlottes last scene in a drug overdose what about the murder she committed n had to have big sis get her the hell outta of dodge?

34. dsl says:

Was that Courtney Loves heroin putting the circle around Amanda’s picture ? Or was it Charlotte ? Lydia ? Conrad ? Sammy ?

35. gerward888 says:

I hate the prospect of Sunday with no. Revenge but it’s covered all facets of this revenge against Victoria et all it would now need a new saga of people that are connected

36. Anna says:

If they cancel the show it will break my heart. I have no idea why always the good shows are being canceled. There is so much more to the show and the characters that have not been told yet.

• wrstlgirl says:

“There is so much more to the show and the characters that have not been told yet” Like what? I’m curious.

37. Gibbs says:

Broke my heart when Nolan put the whale-cam into the fireplace. I will really miss the Emily, Nolan and Jack characters and their friendship if this show ends.

38. Carrie says:

If this is how the series is ending – well done. One more round of revenge twists – perhaps with Charlotte getting some closure – and then game over. No need to drag it out for the sake of dragging it out. Loved this episode. Great reminder of all Amandily has been through and that Victoria has been at her since childhood and is in utter denial for all of her evil. I hope the show ends with Vicky blown to bits and Amanda and Jack having a grown up version of that wedding on the beach and Nolan getting a little revenge on Louise (how quickly she forgot that he knows she killed her brother!)

39. mc says:

Are networks secretly handing cancellation memos to showrunners so they can wrap even before the word is out?

40. The Revenge that I love is BACK! This episode had me on the edge of my seat & a tissue in my hand to wipe my tears. Who ever wrote this episode give them a raise because it really did showed why this show was such a hit! I hope that this showed ABC that if you right well they will watch. I have never missed an episode but I did consider not watching anymore a few times but Nolan & Jack kept me coming back! I hope that they keep up the great writing & give it a chance for season 5.

41. I think it is Charlotte or Lydia at the end of the episode with the red sharpie. I hope the great writing continues & allows David, “Amanda” & Charlotte become a family team. Charlotte hating Emily was just dumb writing! The Revenge I loved is back & I hope it stays for another season!

42. Liza says:

Even though this was a clip episode, which are usually lame, this one was helpful to remind viewers of all that has happened and to set up the final four episodes. I loved this show, but it has been weak lately and they need to wrap it up while they still have some dignity. Let’s hope for a fantastic ending!

43. Sandy says:

Best show ever, it better not end.

44. Dianne says:

hobno

45. Dianne says:

I am going to miss “detesting” some of the characters – hope they bring it back for one more season.

46. Indi3 says:

So Conrad!!! I still don’t trust David Clarke… wont be surprise if that’s not him at all… They needed Emms to confess she’s Amanda cause they can’t defeat her!!! That’s what I think😏

47. wrstlgirl says:

I don’t know if this is the end or not but I really hope it is. I just can’t see another season of this. Even if they bring back Lydia, Conrad or ????, it just cant go on any further and be good, for crying out loud, it’s barely good now. It’s time to bring this to closure. Just my 2-cents and that won’t buy ya nothin’.

48. Nathan says:

I am feeling scared! I haven’t had the right amount of time to prepare for a final season! I need at least a shortened fifth season so I have the break of the summer before we descend upon the final episodes of the show that has been my obsession for four years. I pray that this isn’t the absolute end.

49. john b cantu says:

i been wathching revenge since day one. this is my soap opera dude. i really hate to see revenge get the ax. 4 episodes left should be awesome. hope it will not end.

50. Liz says:

the sammy flashback was the most heart wrenching! i lost my yellow lab the week before that episode originally. made me cry all over again.