Last Man on Earth Scores Super-Quick Season 2 Renewal at Fox

Phil’s going to need a bigger toilet pool.

Fox has renewed The Last Man on Earth for a second season, TVLine has confirmed.

The Will Forte-Kristen Schaal comedy bowed strongly in March, with 5.7 million viewers and a 2.3 rating — besting all Sunday comers in the demo and performing especially well with men. Most recently, cast adrift in a series of Fox Sunday repeats, it has hovered closer to 3.5 mil and a 1.3 rating.

“We knew we had something special with The Last Man on Earth,” Fox president David Madden said in a statement. “It’s one of those rare shows that continues to add depth and dimension to its unique premise, week after week. We are so thrilled that this incredibly bold, original and inventive series has been embraced by both fans and critics, and we cannot wait… [for] Season Two.”

1. Steven says:

I’m glad, but can they kill of Phil? I’d be fine with Todd being The Last Man on Earth.

• Jamie says:

Agreed – the last couple episodes have really made Phil look like a total putz!

• Gisel says:

No phils the best it would be. really boring with Todd. Phil does things that makes me cringe while I watch like oh Em Gee I can’t believe he just did that. I literally cannot wait until season two. I give this show 3000 stars I love it

2. Dean says:

Considering the rest of Fox’s lineup with the exception of Bones, Empire, SH and Gotham this is expected.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Great to see two SNL alums in Andy Samberg and Will Forte having both successful sitcoms getting renewed in respective seasons for Fox.

4. Michael says:

How about The Mindy Project?

5. Lizo says:

Sigh. Whyyyy

6. Ari says:

If they don’t renew The Mindy Project I’m going to be so much more upset. LMOE is awful. We’ve been calling it, “The Worst Man on Earth.”

7. Francesca says:

Great. Now Renew Mindy!

8. CactusRose says:

I started to watch LMOE but Will Forte is SO annoying. The typical man jokes – man marries woman, another woman comes along and he wants her, etc. are just so stupid. This could really be a good show if it weren’t so poorly done.

9. m3rcnate says:

Thats great but they need to write Phil better ASAP before i give up on the show. ALL he cares about is sleeping with January Jones’ character…and he is horrible in every way in his attempt to do so. The show is not funny and not that interesting currently…i can imagine so many other characters that would be HILARIOUS if they were Phil on this show…imagine if he was played like Andy on P&R. Imagine if his character was like Ron from P&R. Heck he could even be great if played like Jim from The Office. Its not that Phil is completely a bad character, he was fun and funny in the beginning but its not fun to watch a pig headed, rude, mean, borderline repulsive character on a show when they are the lead.

• Daisy says:

THIS! 100% agree with you. I was going to write a comment that the show runners need to do something about what my husband and I call the Phil Problem because if they don’t fix his character, we’re not going to be watching the second season. We are sticking with it for now, but if they don’t take care of the Problem, we’re not going to stick with this show.

10. dman6015 says:

Are they going to change the title?

11. Bob Backus says:

By now with nearly everybody on earth seemingly to have survived the end of the world, (sarcasm) can we stop calling this show original? It’s slightly rare- “Whoops”, but it is not even close to being an original idea. It’s just not stale yet, but has been done many times. As original as re-inventing the tire.

12. justsomeguy says:

While I don’t think it’s a very funny show personally, I am happy for the fans that really enjoy it. I hope FOX has some better comedies next season.

13. erika says:

The Mindy Project is dead.
    Rip The Mindy Project.

14. KC says:

Why? This show is so unfunny! I guess FOX is desperate.

15. Me says:

I really wanted to like this show but nah..I cannot stand the lead!

16. MattS says:

Good! It gives the fans another season and the haters more to hate on.. Can’t wait to see how they flesh out the story with another season!

17. Joey Padron says:

Good news the show got renewed! Season 1 have been good so far.

18. Cori says:

Good!! This and Jane the Virgin are my two favorite shows right now.

19. Boiler says:

Agree with many of the posters, if they don’t fix Will Forte’s character won’t be watching. He is not even funny.

20. SherryB says:

Tried to watch the show…Turned the channel everytime…

21. Weezy says:

Honestly I’m a little surprised at this. Yes the show has been impressive in the way that it has built on itself from week to week, but I’m worried that we are at the point of the great stall. Phil’s character has really devolved into a complete moron and jerk, and while that was interesting when it was just Carol, it just seems kind of mean and desperate with Todd being around now. Plus I was really hoping the actor that played Todd was totally playing everyone (if you know the actor then you know he is great at that kind of comedy) and was really a hardcore jerk underneath who was manipulating everyone. Then Phil would spend a bunch of time trying to expose Todd for being a jerk, where hilarity ensues and Phil’s plans backfire over and over again.

22. Helen says:

Well, that wasn’t smart. Ratings have been sinking like a stone, and they will continue to do so.

23. Bill says:

Friggin awesome show one of my favorite newer shows aside from Gotham keep up the laughs

24. John says:

Best show on TV hands down. Finally something for the guys to watch instead of all the stupid lifetime for women and reality shows. Phil your my hero!!! What man wouldnt want to do all those women he’s just being a man so all you women deal with it. Go in the other room and watch your drug addict and drunk housewives show.

25. Donna says:

I love the show but, did I miss something? How did the guy in outer space come into play? When is the second season going to start? I can’t wait….

26. Axael Lugo says: