The Voice Live Playoffs (Night 2) Recap: Tutu Extraordinary

I know Pharrell Williams’ wonderkid Sawyer Fredericks is widely considered the odds-on choice to win Season 8 of The Voice — but as we all learned from that epic YouTube video “Lions-Vs.-Crocodiles-Vs.-Water-Buffalo,” premature predictions can be a dangerous thing.

Night 2 of the Live Playoffs underscored this lesson — as Team Xtina unleashed a trio of predators so fearsome that memories of Monday’s telecast were torn to bloody bits. And as if the “Dirrty” singer’s one-two-three punch of Kimberly (AKA the tutu-sporting rock-n-roll ballerina), India and Rob didn’t already take a huge bite out of the competition, Team Adam swooped in at the last second with its own graceful raptor Deanna Johnson. (She’s deadly, too, yo!)

Yep, this is going to be one of those seasons where even a slight misstep could prove fatal — no matter how much good will you’ve carried over from previous weeks.

But enough about future episodes — because there’s much to discuss from the Tuesday installment alone! Let’s cut directly to my letter grades and predictions for tonight’s performances:

The Voice - Season 8TEAM ADAM: Tonya Boyd Cannon – “Take Me to the Pilot” — Grade: B+ | Oh how I wish Adam hadn’t picked such an inconsequential piece of music for Tonya — SRSLY? The lyrics are nonsense! — but despite getting overpowered by the band just a bit on the first refrain, she brought some real grit and spiritual connectedness to the latter half of the song. Unfortunately, I’m doubtful that voters will remember that fact considering fellow R&B divas Kimberly and India one-upped Tonya later on in the episode. As a result, Adam and Pharrell’s two-man Standing O might prove her consolation prize.

TEAM ADAM: Joshua Davis – “Budapest” — Grade: B+ | Kudos to Adam for being gutsy enough to assign Joshua a British hit that hasn’t hit the U.S. mainstream. I just wish the ditty in question had a chorus that packed a little more of an emotional whallop. The good news, however, is that Joshua’s goosedown-comforter tone and dreamy delivery triumphed over what Blake noted is the most rhythm-challenged audience anywhere on the live TV today — even if there were brief moments in Joshua’s upper register where he waved the white flag rather than fighting to complete his phrases. Which is in no way to suggest that Joshua won’t — or shouldn’t — crack the Top 12. In fact, I’d bet Pharrell’s collection of garage-sale grandpa shirts that he’s a mortal lock to advance on Wednesday’s results show.

TEAM XTINA: Sonic – “I’m Going Down” — Grade: C- | Oh, Sonic! For a contestant who was virtually flawless on her Alicia Keys cover in the Knockout Rounds, how in the heck did you manage to be underneath the melody for two-thirds of Rose Royce’s epic woman-unhinged anthem? Even worse, when Sonic realized she wasn’t exactly nailing the notes, she tried to overcompensate with ad libs that shouted “I’M FEELIN’ IT!” but ultimately gave the sense that she was simply feeling a panic set in. And given the depth of Xtina’s bench this season, it’s safe to assume there’ll be no second chances after this level of blundering.

TEAM ADAM: Brian Johnson – “At This Moment” — Grade: B- | Brian’s got a sweet tone and the palpable commitment of a guy who understands The Voice is undeniably his best shot of making his living off music. But gently massaging the notes isn’t everything: Brian lost the tempo toward the end of the first verse, and the way he phrased the song made me feel like he was more concerned with where to add an embellishment than with digging deeper into a lyric that’s almost threadbare in its familiarity. (Mad props to Blake, though, for recognizing — and acknowledging out loud — the song’s storied sitcom history.)

TEAM XTINA: Kimberly Nichole – “What’s Up” — Grade: A+ | There are no words — or even emojis — to accurately convey the awesome wonder of Kimberly’s vocal tonight. She proved she’s a smart singer by sticking to the melody for the opening verse, the restraint of such confines creating a delicious tension in the performance. Kimberly released the valve briefly as she oozed attitude and grit on lines like “get real high,” and then finally erupted with the force of Yellowstone Park’s Old Faithful and proved herself a candidate for eighth-world wonder status. The length and musicality of that final, stunning glory note — the way it slid around behind the backup singers and then swooped back to the forefront like a Bald Eagle emerging at center stage — shouldn’t even be possible. Add in Kimberly’s copious tears over the fact that her 91-year-old (and very stylish) great grandmother was in the house, and you’re looking at one of the great vocal moments in Voice history.

TEAM XTINA: Lexi Davila – “All By Myself” — Grade: C+ | Xtina pushed hard in rehearsal for Lexi to not just be a singer of notes, but the teller of a story. Unfortunately, though, the teen beauty’s relative inexperience compared to her rivals was punctuated by a wobbly opening verse and a tone that tended toward shrill for most of the chorus. To be fair, her last big run landed as boldly and assuredly as an anvil being dropped on a resting housefly — but she might’ve had a higher chance of survival had she wound up on Teams Blake or Adam. Up against Xtina’s holy trinity, she may be all by herself on a plane back home come Thursday.

TEAM ADAM: Nathan Hermida – “Chains” — Grade: C | “There were some issues,” said Adam to his sweet but not-quite-ready-for-primetime contestant — which is as close to “Worst of the night” as you can get in Voice-speak. The sparse arrangement on the opening verse exposed Nathan’s flaws in terms of pitch and groove — and the sad, sole “Yeah” he coughed up during the band’s extended breakdown had all the authority of a fish-store guppy fluffing its tailfin in a piranha tank.

The Voice - Season 8TEAM XTINA: India Carney – “Hurt” — Grade: A | India’s not merely a vocalist, she’s an actress, too — as underscored by the wild-eyed frenzy that came over her midway through her cinematic imagining of Xtina’s bittersweet hit. That she handled the opening verse with all the delicacy of a hummingbird feeding its hatchling only made the contrast of the song’s booming final third seem even more impactful. Add to that the literal cry in India’s voice on the final “I’m sorry for blaming you,” and we might need to create a new Emmy category for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Reality Singing Competition. As Pharrell put it while India took her bows, “The credits should be rolling right now!”

The Voice - Season 8TEAM XTINA: Rob Taylor – “Earned It” — Grade: A | I was mildly ambivalent about Rob and especially his song choice headed into the telecast — and from his pre-performance package about hateful online criticism, I suspect he took the stage with a singular focus on turning doubters into fans. All I can say is mission accomplished! Rob’s ability to divebomb from piercing falsetto directly into his rich and booming lower register proved pretty astonishing, and as Adam so goofily demonstrated, dude punctuates every emotion with his entire body. It all leads to a sense that Rob didn’t merely lease or borrow the Voice stage, but he owns it outright — without so much as a principal or interest to pay off. It’s probably to easy to say of his inevitable entry into the Top 12 that he “earned it,” but dammit, he did!

TEAM ADAM: Deanna Johnson – “Down to the River to Pray” — Grade: A- | There’s something about Deanna’s ethereal, slow-burning tone that reminds me of the Cowboy Junkies’ Margo Timmins — and that’s a very good thing. Sure, Deanna’s somewhat stiff stance throughout her hymnal didn’t quite match the slinkiness she brought to the melody, but Adam knows she’s one of his best chances to make the finals again this year, and the confidence appears to be transferring to Deanna herself. I’d like to see if she can handle something uptempo, too — you can’t win a competition at a single speed – but the good news for Deanna is she’ll clearly be around next week to have the opportunity.

Should advance from Team Xtina: Kimberly, India, Rob
Will advance from Team Xtina: Kimberly, India, Rob

Should advance from Team Adam: Joshua, Deanna, Tonya
Will advance from Team Adam: Joshua, Deanna, Brian

OK, your turn. What did you think of Night 2 of the Season 8 Live Playoffs? Who were your faves? Who would you not mind losing? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Kaba says:

Holy Trinity:
    Kimberly = Hell. Yes. Yes ma’am
    India = omg Xtina, leave Adam’s team alone
    Rob = Okay…Xtina just is unapologetic about slaying Adam’s team.
    Sonic…her and the band were not in agreement. Sounded like her error imo

• JM1 says:

I give all my votes to Kimberly’s tutu.

• Choir Girl says:

Ha ha! Yes, love it. Her style is like Barbie meets the uber-fabulous Grace Jones.

• Greta says:

Mr. Slezak, why do the COACHES’ names appear first in your polls? You and Melinda just complained in “Reality Check” this week about how the show pimps the coaches more than the singers and now you’re doing it too! We don’t need the coaches’ names in your polls. Or if you insist, couldn’t you list them like this? Kimberly Nichole (Team Christina) — at the very least, don’t put the coaches’ names IN ALL CAPS, like they are special or something. Jeez… why is this so hard??

• PatD says:

Perfect description!

• JT says:

What was with Sia and that mask of hair she was hiding her face behind? Is that her new schtick to get attention? Poor Carson didn’t even appear on stage to thank her.

• Janie says:

Sia has always hid her face… in her videos, in her live performances….on one of the award shows she sang to the back of the stage the entire time while her dancers danced out in front… or she wears a large wig over her face. I dont think i have ever seen her face.

• Jaszy says:

But you can just look her up. There are pictures of her everywhere. Also, she was a mentor on Season 1 of the Voice and she didn’t cover up her face then. It’s not hard to know what she looks like.

• HTGR says:

I’ve heard she feels uncomfortable being seen performing, maybe it’s a typical out there musician thing also serving as place to hide in while performing?

• Jaszy says:

Sonic was one of my favorites until this performance. She was so flat that I was screaming, “No, Sonic! No, you can’t be flat!” I was wincing almost the whole time,
      I know she’s deaf in one ear so that might’ve had something to do with it, but with a disability like that she has to work extra hard to overcome it and make it seem like it’s not affecting anything.
      I think Sonic crumbled. I don’t want her to go home because she has swag for days and I love her Jessie J-ness!

2. analythinker says:

Based on pitch alone, I’d say the ones who should advance are:
    Team Adam: Joshua, Brian, Deanna or Tonya
    Team Xtina: Kimberly, India, Rob

I feel bad for Sonic. Wasn’t sure if it was her hearing or the earpiece, but her key was under almost throughout the song.

• JM1 says:

Xtina is delivering big time so far. Am loving hearing her sing with her team while coaching them. Gwen who? Shakira who?

• Davey says:

Though I think Christina has some wonderful singers, I felt that only Rob and Kimberly felt comfortable tonight. India is wonderful but that song seemed to make her nervous. I don’t think she’s a Christina-type singer and she should be given songs that are more melodic that show off her voice better. She is classically trained and Christina should choose songs more suited to that training.

• danin says:

Good points Davey.That’s probably the problem here w/India.

• Absolutely right on Davey about Xtina laying that awful arrangement on India. There was no continuity, there was actually no song to sing in that choppy mess — and not India’s fault. I hope Xtina’s bad judgement doesn’t eliiminate a singer who should, if properly handled and coached, make it to the finals. Typically Adam has been his team’s worst enemy (tears for Amanda Brown and Christina Grimmie), but if she’s not very careful Xtina may join him soon as the show’s other star killer.

• J Isbell says:

Totally agree–notice all of India’s songs have been of the same TYPE? No matter how good, people tire of that. I hope, as you say, Christina, not India, steps up with some up tempo, fun and/or inspiring songs to show what India can do–win the show.

• Gupy says:

umm, Pharell already joined that so there’s no more room for Xtina ;-)

• Davey, I agree it wasn’t a good song for her and she seemed nervous. However her voice is wonderful so I think she will be here next week.

• Desmond Kane says:

I disagree. India has stated that her goal is to transition into being a R&B soul singer. Her biggest challenge from the beginning was being overly technical and not having that emotional connection to the music. Hurt actually had a beautiful story to it and as Christina tells all her artist, they have to make every song their own. She doesn’t have to be a Christina type singer to sing a Christina song.

• Susan says:

India’s was my favorite performance.

• J Isbell says:

Yeah, the other thing: India needs VARIETY in song TYPE. Everything so far has been great, but very, very serious. If not careful, people will think “here she comes with another tear jerk song”. Three or four of one type and people have had enough, no matter how good you are. Time for–in my opinion, something either inspiring, or fun. But this is where Christina–not India will prove if she is a good COACH, or, will she just keep feeding the same song type until people are bored–bored is the WORST thing, worse than being disliked. India could, and should win, but SONG CHOICE is the key now

• Candace says:

Despite her acting ability, or perhaps because of her acting ability, there is something that seems very insincere about India’s performances. It’s like she’s acting like she’s emotional instead of being emotional.

• Jaszy says:

I really understand what you’re saying…and I agree. India’s a good actress, but Kimberly Nicole feels it, she doesn’t have to force it. Whereas, India, I don’t necessarily feel the realness oozing from her.

• Jaszy says:

Yeah, I don’t think that was a good song choice for India. She sang it extremely well, but…there was something missing. But I think Christina really believes in India since she gave one of her songs to India to sing!

3. Hayder B. Hayden says:

Kimberly Nichole is a beast. She has turned in one solid performance after another, and still hasn’t exerted herself. I can’t wait to see her push herself to the limit.

• Jon says:

Kimberly Nichole SLAYED. I am still picking my face off the floor, wiping tears, retrieving the shoes that were thrown. (And her grandmother was adorable and looked gorgeous.) But credit must also go to Xtina, who coached her flawlessly AND secured the absolute perfect song for her. Heading off to iTunes to buy it now…

• Jaszy says:

My gosh, that Kimberly SLAYED it…I’ve never heard that song in my life before, but Kimberly just made me fall in love with it.
      Man, all these female singers are KILLING it. This is a girl’s season…I can feel it.

4. Craig says:

Deserve to go on:
    1. Kimberly – Whoa! Awesome!
    2. Rob – His voice is so impressive. He can literally go from one end of the scale to another plus he’s a very good performer.
    3. India – Very, very good. Glad she reigned in her falsetto some as well.
    4. BRIAN – Yes BRIAN. He was emotionally connected and the vocal was excellent.
    5. Joshua – Solid job.
    6. Deanna – Great voice, but the emotion wasn’t there. She needs to loosen up.

Time to go home:
    7. Tonya
    8. Lexi
    9. Nathan
    10. Sonic

• JM says:

Hey Craig, I’m in complete agreement with you. I’ve been championing Rob and Brian for awhile now even, in the case of Rob, others still hadn’t noticed him. The only change in your list I’d make is switch out Deanna for Tonya.

• Craig says:

I can’t really figure out the hate directed toward Rob or Brian. Both were terrific tonight and were solid before tonight. I hate to say it but it probably has more to do with their appearance than anything else.

• Jon says:

Craig, that’s sad but probably true. Rob was a beast tonight, but Brian was excellent too. My complaint with Brian was the overused and dull song choice, not the quality of his clear, lovely vocals.

• JM1 says:

Agreed. They sound best with eyes shut. If they go home I don’t think it’s any reflection of them, but of the deep talent pool this season.

Also – THANK YOU, Blake, for the Family Ties reference. That song is tired! Reminds me of when Adam made James Wolpert sing Meatloaf. Some songs just don’t need resurrecting.

• JM says:

You’re probably right. I can’t imagine the horrible comments Rob must have gotten. Poor guy.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Brian was outstanding. I’m not understanding why he gets zero love. I mean, he didn’t “win” tonight because there were a number of tour de force performances, but dude is really talented!

• Timmah says:

Brian was one of my top 3 tonight, along with Kimberly and India. I thought all three of them really “left it all on the stage” as they say.

• Angie_Overrated says:

@Timmah – I responded earlier, but my post got lost in the abyss. I’m really surprised you’re on board with Kimberly and India. You’re definitely feeling the bigger voices this season! In all fairness, this season’s more technical singers are on average better musicians than the ones from previous seasons, and I’m guessing that’s why you’re liking them more.

• Timmah says:

I think the reason I don’t like a lot of the “big voices” on these shows is that it seems to me that many are only interested in showing off their chops, and connecting with the song is secondary. But that was not the case tonight with Kimberly and India, I could tell that they were genuinely passionate about the music and communicating the message of the songs and it came through in their performances.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup. 100% agreed. I’m probably more forgiving than you on that front if a singer is amazing, but what makes a performance A+ is when they believe what they’re singing and took the time to find the right notes to accent, words to hit, phrases to build and phrases to take the foot off the gas pedal, etc. Many of these singers are taking their jobs as musicians seriously, and it’s thrilling to watch.

• Mytake says:

Brian was fantastic!

• Greta says:

Brian was indeed outstanding and so was Joshua Davis but Mr. Slezak only seems to love R&B singers… it’s been this way for a long, long time. Joshua Davis is the top seller in itunes today, so obviously we’re all hearing something special even if he’s not screaming and shrieking like he’s in church.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t even know where to begin with this one, Greta. First off, Slezak routinely praises singers from all genres. He loves Joshua, gave Corey from last night an A-minus (?!?!?!), and believes Sawyer is the rightful frontrunner. Secondly, please stop referring to R&B artists as “screaming and shrieking like [they’re] in church.” It’s entirely disrespectful to very talented singers who happen to sing in a genre you don’t apparently like. That’s fine that you have your genre preferences, but if you’re intent on denigrating entire genres of music, then perhaps watching these shows might not be in your best interests.

• I am a Sawyer fan and now have a second favorite! Dark Horse Rob! He was soooo good!

• HTGR says:

Wow you felt more from Brian than Deanna?

5. Kim Moores says:

Team Xtina.
    That is all.
    Rob, India, Kimberly.
    Goodness.

• We’re u a little shocked at how supremely awesome Kimberly was!!! I bet some people were!!! :)

• Kim Moores says:

Well after a bunch of middling performances I’m glad she finally let loose. She has this thing for not holding notes and really using every ounce of her voice in a song so it struck me as dispassionate and just her running through the motions.
        She finally broke through this curse, Tonya on the other hand is still bound by limiting herself.

• I love Tonya, but I kinda agree that she is still kinda in her head I little bit!!! I PRAY that Kimberly makes it

• Kim Moores says:

I think it’s safe to say it’s time for Tonya to take a leave. She just isn’t cutting it for me.

• safado says:

Were they deliberately trying to eliminate Tonya? Even the most expressive singers would have had trouble trying to put real feeling behind lyrics like this:

“Well I know he’s not old
          And I’m told he’s a virgin
          For he may be she
          But what I’m told is never for certain.”

The man who wrote those words has said they’re meaningless –they just sounded good. I don’t agree.

They don’t even sound good.

• Jon says:

Has there ever been a 1-2-3 sheer power trio like this on *any* Voice team? I thought Chris, Matt and Damien on Team Adam last year was the strongest, but DAMN.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I think it’s safe to say that this is the show’s best season ever. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much talent on any season of The Voice or Idol. Just when I thought Mia set the bar for excellence, along came Kimberly. Whoa mama. That was some sangin’!

• Kim Moores says:

Along with Kimberly who else really blew it away tonight? Are you in agreement with the trinity or has India still come across as contrived and in her head?
        I thought she was outstanding tonight, but Kimberly is the breadwinner tonight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I absolutely love India. In terms of native ability, I think she’s the strongest out of these 20, but I feel like she hasn’t sung the right song yet. “Stay” was it. Now we need to find her a solo in that vein. Her song tonight sucked, quite frankly, but she sang the bejesus out of it. I don’t know what her right song is. It’s gotta be something she can add jazz harmonies too, so probably something midtempo. Hmm….
          Rob killed it. And I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but Brian killed it too. I like the guy a lot. That voice is money. And his wife is just the cutest thing ever and I want to see more of her. lol
          And of course Kimberly, but that goes without saying.

• analythinker says:

I thought if Brian has more personality, he could be like Sam Smith. Always liked him since the beginning.

• Angie_Overrated says:

@analythinker – the one constant I can always count on is that when I hold a minority opinion, you will be there with me. :) GET OUT OF MY HEAD. lol
            He’s really good though, right? He doesn’t scream pop star to me, but the boy should be singing for a living with a voice like his. He just needs to find his right niche, which I don’t think is pop.

• Kim Moores says:

I loved this song on her so much! Oh well, different strokes for different folks!
            I agree, I absolutely dunno what the right song for her is. Her deep voice leaves lost with what would be emotionally effective in capturing the voters.
            I found Brian vocally lovely, but I think the song itself kept me at arms distance, so I guess I feel the way you felt about India.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh don’t get me wrong, India sounded fabulous. That last run she did at the end was some glorious stuff. I think she needs to take a step away from doing overly dramatic music. I’d like to maybe hear her sing something not so moody? Her last two songs have been pretty heavy on the moody side of things. Just as long as she doesn’t go all Trevin Hunt on us with Walking on Sunshine.

• analythinker says:

Yes, yes and yes! And no, not pop. Now please, if he advances, right and current choice, Adam!

• Kim Moores says:

Fair enough, maybe some Lovesong would put her in the right direction.
            Worked for Candice Glover ^_^

• Angie_Overrated says:

India just needs a Love Song or Dream On type moment. Which she’ll have. I have a very strong sense she will be final 3, if not the winner. The girl has talent oozing from her every pore.

• Jon says:

Angie, I know you bought Mia’s iTunes single yesterday, so I shouldn’t tempt you…but Kimberly’s single version of “What’s Up” is BANGIN’. Just sayin’…( :

Also, I may or may not have yelped when Chris Jamison suddenly appeared with Carson. And then again when he said he was singing on the show tomorrow…!

• Angie_Overrated says:

I did buy Mia’s song! And I’m really struggling with tonight’s performances… do I buy Kimberly’s? And Rob’s? And India’s? And Brian’s? Because there were some damn good singing tonight. I even loved Deanna and I’m not typically into those types of voices.
          I squealed like a little girl on Christmas morning when I saw Chris Jamison. As soon as my husband saw my reaction, he replied “is that the kid you said you’re leaving me for from last season?”

• Jon says:

LOL!! Chris looked good! And if he’s singing with Wiz Khalifa tomorrow, that means Universal Music is actually going to spend some time and money promoting him (shocker). CAN NOT WAIT. #ThirstyChrisJamisonFansUnite

P.S. Buy ALL the music…you know you want to. : D

• HTGR says:

Yeah it’s both wonderful and utterly horrifying at the same time. Results will be beyond brutal! And so unfair in that someone will go home tomorrow who’d have made the finals of most seasons. :( And probably 2-3 will go home who’d have made many semi-finals. And this season they can’t even make top 12! (partly it’s just because Pharrell for sure and also Xtina have overly packed teams, so it’s bad luck of that, I wish some late trades could be given to Adam to save some people; the team concept is the one thing that can be annyoing about the voice since it sometimes means someone doesn’t even hit top 12 who’d have BREEZED to top 12 if there were no teams).

6. Chris C says:

Deanna came BACK after the knockouts. There is A REASON! She was my favorite since the beginning. However Hot Dam* Kimberly!!! I love that song and I loved Kimberly’s version way to much! And after that performance I really hope you joined the India train. Cause Gosh she is stellar I love her. I want Kimberly or India to win, time to fix my rankings. And Deanna man. I love her so freaking much. Goodness graticious this season it’s just going to have to be week by week and whoever doesn’t have the best performance goes home. I love all the girls. They are all fantastic!!!! I also really enjoy Sawyer.!! But tonight was the wonderous Kimberely India and Deanna! I loved it!!!! Such amazing performances and hope to see them make it far!

• Jaszy says:

I COMPLETELY agree with you….on all three of these girls.
      This season…whoo…it’s just so overwhelming…they are all sooooo good!

7. debi says:

Lexi didn’t have a chance with the song Christina picked for her. That song is so old and has been sung so many times. It didn’t fit Lexi’s personality either because it is a depressing song. I felt so bad for her. She seems like such a sweet person. Loved Brian, Kimberly, Joshua, and Rob. Tonight was better than last night and I didn’t expect it to be.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Thank you for bringing up this point. Lexi didn’t have a chance with that song. I cringed hearing a 17 year old song “when I was young…and making love was just for fun.” She’s just not mature enough to be singing that song. How could she possibly connect with the lyrics? Christina is coaching her to her own clone, and it just doesn’t fit.

• JM1 says:

You are so right, Hayder. Besides the song being sung to death already, that line totally made me cringe for her. Awkward.

• JM says:

Completely agree. I hate that song, and I shudder every time someone performs it on a reality show.

• Jaszy says:

I don’t understand why Christina gave Lexi that overdone song! My gosh, that song is literally sung almost every season…on Idol as well! Frustrated because I think Lexi could’ve sung even better with the right song choice. I don’t think Christina wanted Lexi as one of her final 3, that’s the only reason why she got saddled with this song!

8. MAB says:

Tonight blew last night away!

• danin says:

Not really.Up until Kim the general concensus here was the opposite.And then after Kim it dipped w/Lexi&Nathan.India lit it up again&Rob kicked that light up into a dazzling glow.

• Kaba says:

I felt it started strong with the first two, dipped with Sonic and her band issues (not singing in the correct key after starting off as such), middled back out with Brian, spiked with Kimberly, plummeted with Lexi, ascended to heaven with India and Rob then…was meh with Deanna.
        Better tonight imo.
        The highs were much higher than the highs last night

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed with all of that except Deanna. I liked her. If it’s going to be a folksy singer who wins this, I want it to be her, not Josh or Sawyer. It’s so… pretty. And she’s so pretty. If she were more anorexic, she’d be a Victoria’s Secret model. The girl is gorgeous and she has a cool Celtic thing going on that I’m digging. It’s very earthy and real.

• analythinker says:

As always, I’m with you. On Deanna this time. She has something.

• Kaba says:

She has a very pretty voice, and I’ll agree if between the 3 I’d want her to win if we’ve got to get a folk singer…but I just wasn’t moved.
            To be fair, I was still losing my mind after the India and Rob double punch.
            She’s insanely gorgeous though, same with India.

• Angie_Overrated says:

India’s perky little muscle butt is something. Girl’s got a rocking body! Remember her in that red jumpsuit during her battle round? And her “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” hair tonight put a giant smile on my face. I guess the stylists have more time to work on India since they’ve decided to do nothing with Meghan. Oh, poor Meghan. I want to fly to LA and go shopping with her. My treat.

• Kaba says:

Fashion is not my forte, but oh man I enjoy looking at India, hopefully that doesn’t make me seem shallow…oh well I’m not apologizing after the sexstorm that followed Chris last season haha.
            Meghan looks…she looks interesting…She has a new look every performance, I don’t think they know what to do with her. Poor thing D:

• Maybe it’s my Puerto Rican blood but like Jlo I’m down the goosies. Deanna was the only one that gave it to me tonight despite other great singers. She is gorgeous inside and out and could be a contender if her nerves hold out.

• analythinker says:

PLEASE, do fix Meghan’s hair & style. I’m desperate, lol.

• Jaszy says:

Yes! If Deanna can just let go…ooooh, she is going to blow everyone away!

• danin says:

There were 2 exceptional high points Kim& Rob w/India close behind.As someone pointed out she needs a more melodic song.Or maybe she should blow us all away and sing opera.I will give you the highs were stratospheric tonight.And Brian does as well as Tonya have really good voices.Think Brian’s choices of emotional stress on certain phrases were oddly placed.Last night,across the board (w/the exception of 1 or 2 people was stronger on the whole.

• Renee Rose says:

Hardly. Ask all the people that kept changing the channel. Lol

• MAB Hi OMG Im so impressed with Rob. Sawyer was my fav. now I have 2 of them! These people Are BLOWING AWAY anyone on AI.

• MAB says:

Becca,
        Tonight we have The Voice and Idol on at the same time. I will probably watch Idol because it is their performances where on The Voice it is results. There will be a Twitter save on Idol. I don’t think there will be one on The a Voice this week so I will record that show. I know The Voice’s talent is insane this year but I still love Idol.

• Yes I still love both shows, but the talent on the voice is killing it! I will also watch idol first and then the voice! Im kind of excited to see Quentin! Thank god for DVR’s

9. Eddie says:

Team Xtina all the way!!

10. Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

Kimberly was perfection. Who knew she could do a classic rock song so well. I’ve loved her voice since Hound Dog, but she completely stole the show tonight. India was a close second, and Rob, Joshua, and Deanna did admirably (I didn’t love Deanna’s arrangement, but she sang pretty well, so I’m giving her a pass for what I’m calling Adam’s bad production).

I still think last night was far superior – Pharrell’s team is my team to win, with Mia Z and Sawyer, but there were some definitely potential winners tonight.

My dream top twelve:

1. Kimberly
    2. Sawyer
    3. Mia Z
    4. India
    5. Koryn
    6. Hannah
    7. Sarah
    8. Deanna
    9. Rob
    10. Joshua
    11. Caitlin
    12. Tonya

In reality, I think we’ll get:

Team Adam: Joshua, Deanna, Tonya
    Team Blake: Sarah, Corey, Meghan
    Team Xtina: India, Kimberly, Rob
    Team Pharrell: Sawyer, Mia, Caitlin

11. trickster88 says:

HOLY CRAAAP KIMBERLY NICHOLE!!!!

12. Andres says:

Kimberly,India,Rob and Deanna get all the shoes thrown at them. Sing Jefa (and Jefe)

• 2Blessed says:

Lol, yessss throw those heels!

• Hang On! Let me get My Lady GaGa 8 inch platforms and chuck them right through the tv set. Damn What a night! This year I think Blake has the worst team! Some of his best performers he gave up and now other teams are thriving with the members he gave up. But I was even more blown away by Rob. Him and India look so comfortable on stage too, besides the fact their voices are above and beyond! Boy does this season on the voice make AI look really bad! It really does!

13. Tender Puppy! says:

Michael, you’ve completely redeemed yourself from the over-love of yesterday’s crapfest. Tonight’s easily trampled all over them like the stampede of Mufasa in The Lion King. (Too soon?)

Rob was amazing. I’m so glad others seem to agree. I might actually bother to vote just to contribute to Rob’s hopeful advancement! India and Kimberly were also fantastic. Most vocal flaws were forgivable tonight because the rest of the performances were so impressive. I actually thought Lexi did a solid job, too. She’s like Pia, but with personality. And she had decent control in spots. Don’t think it’s worth sacrificing any of the other 3 to save her though.

Brian is underrated. He may be old-fashioned, but so is Tonya. Both are talented. I just like Brian’s soulful voice. Nathan has potential, imo–but I doubt he’s advancing. Deanna and Joshua were better anyway. Deanna reminds me of Florence + The Machine. (Am I alone here?) Joshua was pleasant ear candy, and I wanna hear more from him. I certainly wouldn’t be mad if Tonya advanced though.

I’m hoping one of Team Christina’s wins this season. Christina needs a win; it’s been a long time coming. I feel like perhaps India could pull it off? Hm….

• Tender Puppy! says:

I think the only person I didn’t comment on was Sonic….But, there’s a good reason for that. Poor thing. She tried, like Nathan, but both are toast. The results of tonight seem likely to be more predictable than what last night’ll result in, but American Idol still comes first for me. I just love AI14’s cast. Makes me forget about the sludge of the 13th. (Minus Jess and Alex.)

• JM says:

Yes, please take the time to vote for Rob!

• Davey says:

I can’t stand Christina’s persona on the show, especially in her critiques which still seem catty. So whoever is on her team is going to have to be phenomenal for me to vote for her/him.

I know that shouldn’t be the case but when you vote on The Voice, you’re voting for the singer and the coach.

• Kaba says:

‘on The Voice, you’re voting for the singer and the coach.’
        No, you’re not unless you’re that petty.
        I despise Adam and willingly voted for Chris and Matt last season, get a grip.
        Particularly what was wrong with Xtina tonight because she was absolutely poised and well versed in what she was saying.
        I’m guessing you’re one of those folk that love to berate her the moment she doesn’t have anything but nice things to say?

14. All I can say is that KIMBERLY IS THIS SEASONS BEASTMASTER!!! She is currently 79 on iTunes overall so she is for sure safe!!! My whole family and I have her a standing ovation!!! Loved India, rob, Deanna, and Joshua!!! :)

• Renee Rose says:

Sawyer is #15. (Sorry…I just love the kid) LOl

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sawyer who? Sorry, I’m rewatching tonight’s performances for the 5th straight time.

• TopCat says:

We get it Angie. You don’t care for Sawyer. Well there are a lot of us out there that do.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh please. With all the Sawyer people bashing Christina’s team, I don’t wanna hear it, dude.

• Cip says:

Correction. It’s us that don’t want to hear it. You mention your dislike for Sawyer in every other post (and you do post quite a lot). We got it the first time. And as for bashing of Christina’s team, I haven’t seen it-at least not on this site

• Angie_Overrated says:

Then you’re clearly have special reading glasses that only allow you to read what you want to read. So shove it, brother.

15. A.R. Vega says:

Joshua is a real pro to have to sing his song against the HORRID rhythm of the crowd and their atrocious clapping. I WANT TO TAKE TIME OUT OF THIS COMMENT FOR AN IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: CAN WE PLEASE PETITION TO THE VOICE THAT THEY NEVER ALLOW THE CROWD TO CLAP AGAIN? As a drummer myself, I find this lack of rhythm offensive, and God bless Joshua for having to endure this distraction. Good song, good singer, horribly bad crowd.

• analythinker says:

They’re just too loud sometimes!

• Jon says:

Team Xtina was so overwhelming tonight that I almost forgot how much I enjoyed Joshua. I had never heard “Budapest” before and I loved both the song and his rendition of it. It’s not just that he’s “soothing,” as the coaches keep saying — I hear a young Paul Simon in his lovely, pure vocals. Adding another iTunes purchase to my pile from tonight…

• froggybottom says:

I totally agree on the Paul Simon comparison! Love Joshua

• Angie_Overrated says:

I want to like Josh, but I was so overwhelmed by the pyrotechnics of some of the other performers tonight that it’s hard for me to get behind him. And it wasn’t just big voices screaming big notes… they were going for it and owning it. And for me, Josh got swallowed up on a night like tonight. Deanna stuck out for me more with a similar type of performance.

• Jon says:

Interestingly, Joshua is actually leading ALL of tonight’s singers on the iTunes chart. (He’s #30.) So I wasn’t the only one noticing him, heh. Also, Sawyer, at #13, is still leading everyone from both nights…

• Angie_Overrated says:

Replied earlier, but again, lost in the abyss. Yeah, I recognize what you’re saying is true. There’s just something missing for me. As soon as I saw Kimberly’s performance, I immediately forgot he existed.

• ellie says:

I can see why. I really enjoyed his performance especially as I knew the song. I liked that he did his own version of the song. I’m not a huge fan of pyrotechnic performers who just do vocal gymnastics so some of the other singers were actually more fogettable. However, Kimberly was definitely excellent tonight as well doing a very difficult song.

• Jon, I agree. That was smart of Adam to sing a UK hit that hasn’t made it here yet. It is a beautiful song and I think Joshua is a threat to the other teams if the right song choices are made

• MAB says:

I really liked a lot of the contestants tonight and some were amazing but if I am going to buy music it would be sawyer and Joshua. I could listen to them all day. The others would eventually give me a headache. I must not be alone because Sawyer and Joshua are the highest on ITunes.

• Davey says:

Pyrotechnics is a good way to describe some of the over the top performances tonight which sometimes got insane. I like good singing but I don’t need to hear every note twisted out of shape. Singers like Sawyer and Joshua are a relief sometimes on these singing shows. I had to laugh when Carson kept talking about stripped down arrangements.

• MAB says:

Totally agree with you.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Pyrotechnics does not necessarily = over the top. I don’t understand why when someone has a good voice, this giant vocal minority comes out of the woodworks to say that he / she is screaming or shrieking or histrionic. Believe it or not, sometimes singers with amazing voices can connect better to a lyric than a coffee shop wispy singer with 20x amplification.

• Jon says:

Angie, AMEN. So sick of this hyperbole about big-voiced singers coming up again and again.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t enjoy Josh at all? He’s made me feel drowsy every time I’ve watched him. He seems so forgettable. I don’t understand the hype.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I just listened to it a few times. It’s a nice voice. I think I get why people like him. It’s not particularly exciting but I’m starting to finally get it even I don’t entirely agree.

• Angela says:

It’s so funny you should say that, I’m was thinking Art Garfunkel!

• Timmah says:

A mush-mouth Paul Simon. I couldn’t understand a word he sang.

• JM says:

They did Sonic in, too.

• Jon says:

Poor Sonic. She really IS talented, but nothing went her way tonight. And the odds of her surviving against The Trinity on Team Xtina are nil.

• workinit says:

Amen! As he was singing I turned to my roommate and said, how the hell can he sing through that??? it just seemed like freakin’ sabotage. I know part of the deal is that the artist have to learn to sing through anything, but good lord, between that and imbecilic and distracting swaybots I really don’t know how the artists can stay on the beat.

16. danin says:

My 87 yer old dad said Xtina’s team saved the night.Said Rob was in a league of his own and he is not a fan of falsetto.Said India was good too.I loved Rob tonight.I really heard all the dimensions of his voice.I already know how fantastic Kim is.And India grew on me more tonight. Still not fully riding the Josh train.

17. 2Blessed says:

Kimberly’s performance was in top 3 performances EVER on The Voice (Tessanne’s Bridge Over Troubled Water and Amanda Brown’s Dream On are the other 2)
    Hopefully Rob, Kimberly, and India advance as well as Josh, Tonya, and Deanna (loved Deanna’s performance, how fitting that she sounded hauntingly angelic in a song about salvation and redemption, good call Adam!)

18. missvci says:

So it must be me, I thought the coaches were crazy with the standing ovation and praise for Rob, then Slezak puts him into the holy trinity, and the comments he’s getting some love too. I thought his performance was meh. Did I miss something. Should I rewatch it?

And I loved Lexi’s performance and would put her in the holy trinity.

• Kaba says:

Your ears just weren’t fully adjusted to good singing after hearing Nathan perform prior to.

• Tender Puppy! says:

I say anyone should give any performance at least 1 rewatch. I’ve come to realize on Idol and Voice that the live sound mix occasionally sucks, and/or it’s easy to be distracted. Rewatching it on YouTube, you often can tell how good they really sounded with an improved mix. (At least this is true for Idol; not sure if they do the same with Voice.) But anyway, give it a shot! Btw, I think Lexi was kinda underrated. I didn’t expect to enjoy such an ancient, overdone song, but she’s talented. I wish we could swap her with Caitlin, who is inferior yet probably a shoe-in, while Lexi is likely toast.

• Craig says:

Um yeah, it’s just you. Rob went from baritone to falsetto and everything in between without ever missing a beat. Lexi, on the other hand, was given a song that was clearly above her capabilities.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I agree with you. Rob didn’t do anything for me. In his head, he’s a great singer, but in my ears he’s so so.

• Chris C says:

Don’t worry I am with you. I’ve rewatched and I still feel like I am missing something. I just did not enjoy that performance. He’s Okay I guess. I know Sonic was not the best at ALL tonight(probably tonight’s worst maybe :(. But I’d still rather have her than him. I just don’t connect with him or from team Adam Joshua.

• Davey says:

I wasn’t crazy about Rob either. But I thought Lexi was awful and the song choice was terrible, which I blame Christina for.

• tvlover44 says:

rob was the highlight surprise of the night for me. i greatly enjoyed his performance – both the vocal and the performance aspects – and bought the itunes version as well. hope he gets into the top 12!

19. I’m ready for a Kimberly/India/Mia/Sawyer finale

20. 2Blessed says:

This comment is for SLEZAK: Please spend some more time on The Voice in Reality Check next week, if possible! I feel like you and Melinda always have good things to say, but only save 3 minutes for yourselves.

• JM1 says:

Thanks, 2Blessed! I love their Reality Check but I fast-forward through AI to get to the Voice reviews.

• Woodmeister says:

To be fair, up until now (the live shows) there are just too many singers on The Voice for Michael and Melinda to do justice to in their recaps and analysis on Reality Check. But I expect that you may hear more from here on in….especially after performances like the couple of nights.

• Renee Rose says:

As of 9:30pst, Sawyer Fredericks is the ONLY Voice contestant in the top 100 on Itunes. That’s with all the professionals mixed in.

Umm… no
        The top 100 on iTunes also includes Deanna, Brian (yes THAT Brian that Slezak gave a B-minus to,..BOOO!!!), Cory, Koryn, Josh, Mia, and Kimberly.

• Sawyer number 13 on i tunes AND it doesnt count for votes but he has all 3 songs in the top ten on ROCK i tunes! But now I am impressed with Rob! Im going to check Rand B i tunes and see where he is at!

• Jon says:

2Blessed, I agree! I haven’t watched Idol in years so I fast forward RC to the minute and a half they devote to The Voice. Michael and Mindy Doo, please throw Voice fans a bone!

21. lori says:

WOW just amazing tonight!

22. missvci says:

Oh and having Team Adam perform the same night as team Christina was just mean. Everyone of his singers paled in comparsion team xtina.

Deanna and Josh did the best but they were still blown out of the water by Kimberly, India, and Lexi. (and according to everyone else Rob)

Tonya is a good singer, but I’m just not connecting with her. and I don’t know how Nathan or Brian made it to the live rounds.

Honestly I rather the entirety of Team Christina advance with Joshua or Deanna. I know Sonic was off tonight, but I still love her.

My wish it could happen this way top 12.

1. Kimberly
    2. India
    3. Sawyer
    4. Mia
    5. Koryn
    6. Caitlin
    7. Joshua
    8. Corey
    9. Lexi
    10.Deanna
    11. Sonic
    12. Rob

• MAB says:

Yet Josh is way ahead of everyone from tonight on iTunes.

• Kaba says:

So? He still sucked in comparison.

• Dallu says:

If he sucked by comparison, then he wouldn’t be ahead of the rest on iTunes. Stay with the logic!!

• Kaba says:

Jake Worthington was a vocal abomination and assault to our ears and he regularly ascended to the top of the iTunes each week.
            What logic?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Good lord this argument is stupid. People buy bad music all the time. Look at the charts. It’s topped all the time by talentless hacks with music that sounds like it was composed in a competition for “who can write the crappiest song within the next 15 mins?” Will.i.am certainly comes to mind… among others of course.

• ellie says:

I don’t think he sucked by comparison. I enjoyed his performance and can see why he’s the selling well. Kimberly was a standout for Christina but I’m not sure about the others on her team.

Lexi was very shaky and Sonic was way off. India is obviously a good singer but something was off about her performance. I give Rob props for song choice and he put a lot of drama into his performance but it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. All this is to say I don’t agree with the premise that team Christina overwhelmed Adams. That was just a storyline Blake was selling to torture Adam for his comments about shutting up about Family Ties.

• Lee says:

You may think Joshua “sucked” but at least he’s unique and original on a season full of elevator type of music singers.

• Strangeness says:

I have to ask, sucked in comparison to what? If you’re talking music style probably his actual closest competition is the kid Sawyer. But are you comparing him to someone like Kimberly?–To someone who performs a completely different type and style of music? Unless you’re arguing that there’s is only one valid style of music, that’s not even comparing apples and oranges; It’s like comparing apples and suspension bridges. That, of course, is the issue with singing competitions, they often throw equal, but diametrically opposed, styles, but it seems that to determine accurate “suckage” one needs to look at like for like comparisons.

• JM1 says:

That was a savvy song choice. That song is just breaking big right now and it fit him well.

• Scott says:

I’m sorry, but Lexi was bad tonight. That song was way to big for her. The end was hard to listen to, she was definitely not in the top tonight and will be leaving tomorrow for sure.

23. The BIG QUESTION is: Will the Pope be the next guest coach? All these spirtuals say it is so.

24. Chris C says:

My Dream Top 12 after Tonight
    12th:Joshua Davis
    11th:Sarah Potenza
    10th:Sonic
    9th:Tonya Boyd Canon
    8th:Meghan Lindsey
    7th:Sawyer Fredericks
    6th:Brooke Adee
    5th:Deanna Johnson
    4th:Koryn Hawthorne
    3rd:Mia Z
    2nd:Kimberly Nicole
    1st:India Carney

I literally love the entire group of people I put in the Top 11. For some reason I can’t board the Joshua Davis train but I’d rather have him over Nathan and Brian. And Why am I like possibly the only one who loves Brooke? It makes me sad :(. But tonight Kimberly and Deanna kicked Sawyer and her out of the Top 5 spots. I know Sonic did awful tonight but I still based on pre-lives love her and couldn’t see her gone. India of course is my pick to win, even if I prefer Deanna I would rather have India win. I think Koryn could be a darkhorse, I just need Pharrell to save her because we all know Mia and Sawyer got America’s pick. I wouldn’t mind if Mia or Kimberly won. In fact if anyone in the 1st-11th Place in my dream team win I will be happy. They are all so good. This is just such a strong season and I know I am most likely going to be voting based on who I liked that week. (Except this week because it was only live show beginings and I’ll forgive some of the iffy-perforamces [Sonic]). So ready for the rest of the live shows to start. I wish we only had one elimination per week this season because Gosh I can not stand a short season! This is so hard. I love so many people on this show this season. Go India, Go Kimberly, Go Mia, Go Koryn, Go Deanna, Go everyone!!!

• JM1 says:

I’m with you Chris – can’t stand these short seasons. They could go on twice as long and I’d be happy. And, for possibly the first time, I really like everyone who will likely make the final 12. Yippee!

• Timmah says:

You’re not the only one who likes Brooke. I find her a refreshing change of pace from all the belters, and I hope she makes it to the final 12.

• Chris C says:

@JM1 even the ones I can’t personally connect with I like! They are all so talented this season and I feel a lot of the contestants could win in a different season. I said it before I haven’t cried this season of the voice and that makes me happy! If it only at least this one would last longer! It’s to good to end!

25. JM says:

I felt really sorry for Adam’s team tonight, especially with Blake rubbing it in their faces several times that Christina’s team were wiping the floor with them. And what was up with Adam throwing Nathan under the bus? Not that I voted for Nathan, but Adam basically said that his vocals sucked but his stage presence improved so good for that at least. Really??? Someone needs to teach Mr. Levine some tact.

• JM1 says:

But was he wrong? :-}

• JM says:

No, but still…

• analythinker says:

Sometimes I feel like he’s struggling to find words, between giving constructive criticism to someone’s weaknesses and praising the strengths.

• Jon says:

I understand feeling bad for Nathan — he’s such a sweet kid — but he’ll never improve as a performer if all he hears is praise when he sings poorly. Adam gave him a song that was both current and within his range, and Nathan botched the notes and brought zero commitment to the lyrics.

We can’t complain that the Voice is too “unicorns and rainbows” and then rip on the coaches when they attempt some constructive criticism.

• danin says:

I feel bad for the singers,not Adam.He had 3 people in or near the finals last year.He’s got a strong ego.He can take Blake’s nonsense.I don’t know about the singers though being able to hear Blake’s comments.

26. analythinker says:

Same here.

27. JM says:

Notes to Voice stylists:
    1. Never put legging pants on a woman with a well-endowed behind.
    2. Never put horizontal stripes on any woman wearing size 7 and above.
    3. Never put a high-necked blouse/sweater on a woman with a well-endowed bust unless you accent it with a LONG necklace or scarf or a well-fitted v-shaped blazer.
    End lesson

28. Jill Moy says:

Whst in the world was that hairdo on Sia???? I know she is homely, but covering her face like that was hilarious! Is this where music is heading, singers with hair like that? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jill Moy says:

Meant WHATIN THE WORLD WAS THAT DOG HAIRDO ON SIA?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sia has a severe anxiety disorder and never appears on camera in plain view. Her face is always somehow obscured.

• JM1 says:

The funny thing is that we all saw Sia’s face when she coached on The Voice a few years ago! Lol.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, and since then I doubt you’ve seen her face on live media. Not sure exactly what her issue is, but folks seem to be more than happy to accommodate her phobia. Just so long as we don’t get another interpretive dance with Lena Dunham, I’m more than fine with it.

• Jill Moy says:

Anxiety disorder or not, she was terrible!

• Mytake says:

Thanks for that info. I had no idea and just thought she was being gimmicky.

• Timmah says:

I always thought it was some sort of artistic choice. But when you can write and perform like she does, I guess it doesn’t matter anyway.

• Angie, Thank you for schooling the public on anxiety. I can testify that props are very helpful when being on stage as I have a severe anxiety disorder and I was on stage and used anything that distracted me. Aloha,

• Sharon says:

Cousin It’s girlfriend.

• Renee Rose says:

I first said to my mom….”Did she get that hair at three-day blinds?” But then I saw a comment online where someone said she looked like Cousin itt, and that was hilarious.

• Ihaveabridge says:

She has a disorder: poser disease. Also known as a calculated gimmick that she uses to make herself stand out. The gullible buy into it. The rest …..not so much.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Why would she use a calculated gimmick to stand out when she actively eschews being in the spotlight? She doesn’t really even want to perform but keeps getting talked into it because the woman is genius and her professional circle knows it.

• CharleneG says:

And there you have the gullible who buy into it……

I do agree she’s a genius — look at how well and how easily she’s playing you. You completely buy into fiction. No one had to “talk” her into performing. But you believe that, indeed, even think she’s special for it — and therefore you’re special for getting to witness it. Which is exactly what she and her team planned for and want. So yeah, she is a genius –As all Cons are. But you might want to read a little story called the Emperor’s New Clothes. You could learn a lot.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’ll believe your narrative if you provide some supporting facts. All I see on your part is conjecture which you are attempting to pass off as God-given truth. Convince me. I’m all ears!

• Jaszy says:

SIA is absolutely a GENIUS! ALL of her songs, including the ones that she only wrote (but not sang) are PERFECTION!

• HTGR says:

Get clue! It’s not a gimmick. She made up a gimmick as a COVER for something very real.

• ellie says:

It’s not a real hairdo. It’s a wig she’s using to hide her face. She suffered some kind of mental breakdown/drug addiction after her boyfriend was hit by a car and died some time ago. Since that time she’s struggled with her demons, drugs and depression and was even suicidal. She also became increasingly uncomfortable with becoming a celebrity. Eventually someone suggested she try songwriting and this allowed her to hide in plain sight. When her label suggested she put out an album she agreed only if she didn’t have to promote it. This hiding her face when performing is not a new thing for her.

• Jill LOL, I love the song Chandelier, but yah whats with the wig. In other performances she usually turned her back to the camera.

29. Michael H. says:

All I’m gonna say is, Kimberly Nichole can sing to me any day of the week. OOoooh That was good! India was phenomenal as well, and I loved Rob this time! Great job Team XTina!

30. I, like you, was ready to just hand Sawyer the trophy.., but it’s gonna be interesting to see how he fairs in the company of the Top12, if he lands there (yeah, right?!) against these monster ADULT vocalists. Gonna be a good series, no matter what.

31. JM says:

Joshua is the highest ranking singer on iTunes from tonight. I don’t get it. IMO, his version pales in comparison to George Ezra’s.

• Davey says:

I like Joshua’s voice. I didn’t know the song before and I was glad to be introduced to it. Ezra’s voice is nothing like Joshua’s so I think one can appreciate both versions.

32. Idk.Deanna Johnson’s performance did nothing for me; maybe I was unable to process at the time of her performance.

33. Renee Rose says:

Did not like Joshua’s song at all. I find myself changing the channel quite a bit tonight. Disagree IMMENSELY with some of the high scores up there.

34. Davey says:

Because it’s obvious the best singers on Christina’s team won’t have any trouble getting through, I gave my votes to Joshua and Brian whom I think are very talented and who will get better if they continue on for more weeks. Adam needs to give Brian a better song next week if he makes it through. I hope Joshua’s age doesn’t hurt him because he’s one singer whose album I’d enjoy. (I see he already has made a few albums already on iTunes.)

35. Jill Moy says:

Sonic sings a Keys song brilliantly and this easy song she is terribleon! Harry Connick would just love to hear this performance! I can hear him now, PITCH, SHARP, INTONATION, ETC., ETC.!

• Jill Hi ok now I have a few other favorites Besides Sawyer! Wow ROB! HE DIDNT HAVE HIS BUN HAIRDO! But his singing blew my hair back! What???? Sooo Good! and of course India! Sonic did not do well tonight!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Rob has always been decent! You know, I just don’t care for Kimberly’s high screeching, screaming voice! She’s good but A+?????????? A is perfection and that’s hard to achieve! I just don’t think she’s India’s equal! You’re right, this talent completely blows away AI’s singers….BY FAR! I am glad I’m now watching the show! Also I don’t care for Mia! I understand maybe 40% of her lyrics…..she slurs her words! To me she’s creepy!

• JIll, He just blew me away! My favs India, Rob, and Sawyer! Rob needs to sing some Maxwell! Or maybe Frank Ocean?

• Jill I think Mia got overshadowed tonight. If she makes it through, she will still get booted soon, because there are too many good ones besides her! The competition is very stiff this year. Mia is not the best out of the BELTERS. There are like 5 females better than Mia! I like Lexy better than Mia, and Lexy did not have her best night tonight! Lexy had a bad song! But even Lexy wont be able to hang with the “big girls”.

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Everyone seems to love MM (Mediocre Mia)! After The voice she needs to sing in school plays!

• Jaszy says:

Actually, Sonic was not sharp at all. She was FLAT! She was under the key nearly the whole time! Which sucks for her..and for me because she was one of my favorites!

36. analythinker says:

Conspiracy theory emerging: I used to be able to click on The Voice banner on iTunes when searching with “the voice” keywords. Now all I see is Sawyer’s songs…

37. jw says:

Kimberly may have delivered the single greatest musical performance in any music talent show, ever. That is a great song and it wasn’t tamed in the original. Kimberly had total and complete control AT THE SAME TIME being completely vulnerable and real with the performance. In the end, the season could end on Wednesday with the Top 12 and this would be the best season of The Voice ever.

38. Renee Rose says:

OMG…Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much song for Lexi.

39. analythinker says:

iTunes: Joshua, Kimberly, Deanna, Brian, India, Rob, Lexi, Tonya… with Nathan & Sonic down down down below.

40. jw says:

Blake was an ass tonight, by the way. Those comments about Team Christina lapping Team Adam were meant to insult Adam but really were extremely insulting to the Tonya and Joshua. They need to watch the team stuff, because it really doesn’t matter and ends up just insulting good people trying to do their best.

41. DarkDefender says:

LOVED Kimberly Nichole’s Great Gran! And she sang the crap outta that song. Love, Love.

• Jon says:

Kimberly is like the love child of Fantasia and Sisaundra, and I LOVE her. Her fabulously stylish, adoring Great Gran, wiping away her tears, made me teary as well…

42. Leo says:

Michael really graded on the curve tonight. No one deserved an A. The judges were rewarding decibel level rather than intonation and tone.

43. Scott says:

I’ve seen people post itunes chart rankings of songs, and their number on the chart with rankings higher than 200, where are people seeing those? When I go to the itunes overall it only shows the top 200.

44. Scott says:

Kimberley gave me all kinds of feels tonight. I was on the edge of my seat!

• Angie_Overrated says:

I got a weird adrenaline rush during Kimberly’s performance. I don’t get those very often. Maybe once or twice a year. It was that same feeling when I was watching the last three episodes of The Jinx. When a singer gets your brain to release fight-or-flight chemicals, he / she has done a great job and then some.

• Scott says:

Yes! An adrenaline rush is exactly what I was feeling! It was so cool. There were other great performances tonight as well, but none that did that to me.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I always cry once a season too. I wonder who will make me cry? lol Kree Harrison from Idol currently holds the record for making me cry not once, but twice.

• Jill Moy says:

WHO’S INSANE!

• Jill Moy says:

????????????????????????

• Angie_Overrated says:

You, Jill. You are insane. :)

• Jill Moy says:

ANGIE,

Maybe! I just don’t care for her tone! If that’s insane, oh well! Maybe I’m too harsh a critic! I’ve heard so many good singers that move me; the singers on the talent shows just aren’t up to those standards!

• Jill, Well it wasnt Kree that made me cry. The last time I balled my eyes out was when little Drew X factor got sent home. I had never seen Simon that mad. Everyone was crying including Drew. Oh and that was when Paula and Nicole kept saving Marcus Canty over and over again. He was in the bottom like 3 weeks in a row. I loved Drew and was sooo sad! Oh and Stacy Francis x factor also made me cry several times Dammit! That was a pretty emotional season. It was also Krajiks season!That was such a good show and season! Season 1 x factor

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Your X FACTOR comments brought back memories! I remember Francis holing a high not far too long and from that day on, they held that against her! She was a fine singer though! She left way too soon! She certainly was better than the eventual (eliminated) winner! As for Drew, she wasn’t my cup of tea! she was good but Simon tried to make her the best thing since sliced bread! He made faces when anyone ever said a negative thing about her! Well, we can’t always agree all the time, just 98% of the time….LOL! Marcus Camby never was much of a singer! He had a little showmanship but he was in the competition WAY TOO LONG! LA PIMPED HIM FOR MANY WEEKS! I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN HE WAS GONE!

• I know drew wasnt the best singer, but I got attached to all the kids. Rachel Crow, Astro and Drew! And each one of them threw their own kind of emotional fit when they had to go home! I remember Rachels mom had to come up to the stage and pick her up off the floor! Astro crying and saying he didnt want to perform. All of the kids really got to me! Krajik and Stacy Francis were amazing! Such a great show that year! But I couldnt stand Chris Rene!

• Jill Watch out for The Wicked Witch of the West! The New Mommie Dearest! She is out there!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Wicked Witches everywhere! Thank God you have truckloads of Wire Hangers! They come in handy! Multi Mommie (and Daddy) Dearest people on this sight!

• Jill yes Truckloads of hangers!

45. ellie says:

The two I really liked tonight were Kimberly and Joshua. I loved the weekend song but I’m still not sure about Rob’s version. I’ll have to listen to it again.

Deanna sang her song perfectly but for some reason I wasn’t moved. I don’t care if she advances or not but I don’t see her winning.

Tonya was good but she was at the beginning so that may hurt her chances.

I’m with Blake about Brian’s song reminding me of Family Ties. i think he did a good job with it.

India got the emotions right for the song hurt. Vocally it seemed something was a little off.

Weakest of the night were Sonic, Lexi and Nathan

46. Choir Girl says:

Joshua – Such a beautiful, natural tone…I wanted to listen longer….but the song went nowhere and just seemed to fizzle out…he needs something with more levels if he’s really going to show he can be competitive.

Brian – Talented. But really really good, not great, especially compared to some of the others.

Tonya – Song choice didn’t do her justice. But she’s clearly a pro..if she makes it, needs a song that allows more distinct and memorable moments.

For me, Lexi, Nathan have potential, but aren’t ready for the big stage yet.

And Sonic, don’t know what was going on there exactly, but I like her uniqueness and she has shown that she is clearly much better than that performance.

47. Bohr says:

Kimberly. Wow. I think you better update your gallery of The Voice Top Performances of all time. LOL at the Bald Eagle comparison. I’m now imagining her with slick Maleficent black wings with her black artsy tutu getup. :)

48. Mytake says:

Until tonight my favorite by a long shot was Sawyer. To me, nobody even came close. Then tonight my head burst with the number of excellent performances. Kimberly and Rob made me love them! India is amazing and I thought Brian was great. I was really impressed with Mia last night and if she can learn to enunciate even halfway decently, I’ll like her much more. Deana sang beautifully, but it was like she was singing a book. Sounded wonderful but she to me at least she didn’t seem to have any emotional investment to the song. So now my rankings are:.
    A+ Kimberly, Sawyer, Rob.
    A India, Mia
    A- Brian, Deana

49. scarpe says:

Something is off with Slezak when it comes to rating The Voice contestants. His heart is in A.Idol–which I understand. (Although these days, watching Idol feels like shopping in the bargain basement section of a once grand department store–all echoey and picked over.) I tend to agree with Slezak’s rankings, so I’m always surprised when he gets it completely wrong — as in, Brian Johnson. Giving that performance a B- … sacrilege. Brian has a beautiful voice and breathed life into a fairly tedious ballad. Yesterday, Slezak saddled Hannah with a B-. (Shaking my head in disagreement.) I do agree that the Voice contestants this season are pretty spectacular. It will be a real shame if the same old same old wins out and it seems like it might. In comparison to the other performers, Lexie Davila and Deanna Johnson are beautiful snoozes but both are ranking high on itunes. And of course the highest rankings: WMWG.

50. Elemuelle says:

This article is perfection. It gave the perfect description for each of the finalist, and the statistics of votes for each contestants are consistent based on their performances. Wow!!! Great job.