Chicago Fire Recap: How Did Med's Hospital Staff Treat You?

Chicago Med Pilot Recap

NBC’s potential spinoff Chicago Med got more than its fair share of patients on Tuesday’s episode of Chicago Fire – and one of them was a beloved Windy City firefighter!

The hospital is introduced when the truck crew decides to transport some fire victims on their own. Once they get there, a patient announces he has something worse than Ebola and then blows himself up. Severide pushes his high school pal Dr. April Sexton (Ugly Betty‘s Yaya DCosta) out of the way and gets knocked out. Jay’s brother Will (Shameless‘ Nick Gehlfuss) from P.D., on his first day of work, is prepared to black tag him and move on – noooo! – but Mills convinces him not to give up on Severide. Still, the situation is bad, especially when Severide’s vitals start to drop and he sees visions of Shay.

Dr. Hannah Tramble (The Walking Dead‘s Laurie Holden) begins surgery on the firefighter with an assist from the paramedics. It was nice touch to see Mills, who had a beef with Severide over the rescue squad position, be the one to help save him. Later, Severide claims to April that he doesn’t remember anything that happened, but his haunted face seems to suggest he recalls just how close he came to being reunited with Shay.

Casey and Dawson, meanwhile, have a different kind of response to the life-and-death stakes and get hot-and-bothered in bed that evening. “This is just a reaction to the stress of the day,” she declares. Riiiight.

During the quarantine, we also meet Sharon Goodwin (Law & Order‘s S. Epatha Merkerson), the head of the hospital, and head of psychiatry Dr. Charles (Fargo‘s Oliver Platt), whose ability to read people and behavior saves the day on more than one occasion.

When those hospital doors crash open, “There are good people, strong people, ready on the other side,” Sharon says after Boden gives a speech toasting the staff’s excellent work.

But what did you think of the Med ensemble? Outside of Platt, Holden’s strong but vulnerable Hannah made the most memorable impression on me – and possibly Will, with whom she shared a cry after the awful day. Maybe it was even enough to convince him not to go back to New York, as he was planning at the start of the hour.

Vote in the poll below to let us know if you’ll be tuning into the potential spinoff, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. Beth says:

The reason I enjoy watching Chicago Fire is because the characters are all great, Casey being my favorite. I watch PD because I like Voight and a couple of the other officers. So far, I haven’t cared about any of the characters on Chicago Med.

• Sally McLinn says:

The characters will grow on you. Just hope the same writers for Chicago Fire will write for this show.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I don’t know about that. I’m not a Laurie Holden fan so there’s strike one, LOL. BTW she looks a lot different now than before, did she have a baby?

• Jon says:

As a huge Chicago Fire fan, I was initially reluctant to get involved with Chicago P.D. because Voight had been introduced as a despicable, crooked cop on CF. Then I was gradually drawn in by Sophia Bush’s Erin Lindsay and Amy Morton’s Trudy Platt (who I now ADORE).

The lifeblood of both shows are the nuanced characters they’ve created, who pop up repeatedly on either one. I’m already invested in April (thanks to her arc with Severide on CF) and I’ve always loved S. Epatha Merkerson from L&O. After yesterday’s exciting pilot, I’ll probably be hooked on Chicago Med as well…

2. Wordsmith says:

Wasn’t Amanda Righetti originally set up to be part of the Chicago Med cast in one of the Fire/P.D. crossovers last season?

• Dys says:

She did guest star as a doctor there at that point it was stated that there was no actual intention for a Chicago Med spinoff. This season they of course decided that it was in fact something that they are considering/likely doing. As it stands she is going to be a regular on an upcoming USA series. If not for that, perhaps they would have included her.

• DYS says:

I wish that I could edit but I will clarify myself. It was hoped by the writers that it would turn into a spinoff last year, but at that point (depending on which article and “source”) NBC wasn’t considering it.

• John Harrys says:

Amanda was recently asked on Twitter, whether she would be in the new Chicago Med show, and she replied with “Not sure.” “Not sure” isn’t “No”, right? So maybe she’ll arrive later when things with Colony on USA don’t turn out well. Bit disappointed, though, because Chicago Med would have been a lead role, and she’s third fiddle on Colony.

• Hmm says:

When PD was in the works, Scott Eastwood was supposed to be cast and even appeared in the backdoor pilot on Fire. But he ended up not being a part of the cast. It happens sometimes that way. There are other doctors (ie. Willhite’s husband, the trauma doctor that appeared in a few Fire episodes, Kendra) who I haven’t seen mentioned in regards to Med. Things change. I am disappointed though that we might not be getting Amanda because I was thinking I’d like to see how her character stands up next to Will Halstead.

3. The last 10 minutes of the episode were pre-empted by severe weather, so I can’t wait to rewatch tomorrow on Hulu. I liked what I saw. I love Oliver Platt, and this character seems like a perfect fit for him.

4. bill says:

Didn’t they blow up Chicago Med once before when they were trying to spinoff a CM series from Chicago Fire? It was a two-parter and featured Dylan Baker and Amanda Righetti as Chicago Med doctors. Why are they repeating themselves? They just changed the doctors and threw in a possible ebola-like contagion. The first attempt was actually much better than tonight’s episode. They need to stop with the endless crossover/spinoff episodes.

• Cassie says:

You are so right. For a backdoor pilot, I thought that episode was much better than this one. I am also sick of the continuous crossover/spinoff episodes. I think CF has suffered from the PD spinoff and I can only imagine how much more it will suffer with another spinoff.

• I completely disagree. I love both shows more now than when I first started watching. I can’t wait for Chicago Med! The crossovers are fun, and they make complete sense.

• Jon says:

JEM, I agree with you, but they’re not even “crossovers” at this point — Dick Wolf has created a larger world that regularly encompasses all of Chicago’s protective services. LOVED when CPD’s Sgt. Trudy Platt suddenly popped up on CF as Mouch’s girlfriend, and every time a CF cast member shows up on CPD, Twitter explodes.

Still excited over the brief scene in CPD when Voight opened a Get Well gift from Sgt. Olivia Benson at SVU…

• skate_08 says:

I also disagree. I couldn’t have cared less about CF before I really got into PD, and the crossovers helped me get into CF as well. I like the crossovers with SVU too, but the second within one season was a bit of a stretch – they can’t keep that kind of level up next year or it’ll get a little ridiculous. There’s only so many times it can be a “coincidence” that PD and SVU have a case in common.

5. Bwhit says:

I was skeptical about a third off shoot but I see potential in that cast. Laurie Holden was great and Nick Gehlfuss as Will Halstead made me want to know more about his past. On a side note and I may be off base but based on the interview you had the other day and Monica Raymund’s insistence that Dawson doesn’t see anyone else…. Did Dawson and Casey just create a little Dawson and Casey? (sorry, I hate putting two names together i.e. Dawsey).

• Hmm says:

I will explode with the heat of a million fires if they make Dawson pregnant. Season 3 has really killed any chemistry Casey and Dawson had in my eyes and I’d rather not have them tied together/forced back together because they have a child.

• Bwhit says:

Yeah, I just thought it was strange that they barely have any interaction the last few eps than… HELLO. They wouldn’t be the first show to do it but I agree they shouldn’t come back together that way.

• wrstlgirl says:

If she ends up pregnant (which I think is coming) that makes all that horrible firefighter crap an even bigger failure IMO. These two are better as friends. Now that they have slept together we’ll have to live through all the stupid glances across the firehouse floor, etc. again. The problems in their relationship are still there and one night of sex isn’t going to fix them. Pretty sure Casey and Dawson are end game though and for me it’s the worst part of the show.

6. liame says:

One thing I’ll say about these spinoff’s, they’re always consistent when it comes to casting their hero’s and saviors.

7. kath says:

I was open to the idea but the writing and the medicine was sooo bad. Cringe-worthy bad and there’s no excuse for that after shows like ER and Grey’s Anatomy.

I knew as soon as the guy outside started talking about stance that he was going to be a psychiatrist. It shouldn’t be that easy to predict.

Why the big deal about the firefighters taking in the extinguishers? Why didn’t they just leave them outside the ER door and step back? Or put on HAZMAT suits? It seems like everything was ramped up to HYSTERIA level instead of being a good, solid medical mystery.

The Marburg virus isn’t airbourne so as soon as they heard what it was, they should have realized everyone would be okay, except for the poor guy with the rib sticking in him.

If they want me to watch it, they’re really going to have to up the writing level.

• 3dhouseofmagic says:

I have to agree I had the same thoughts about the medical writing – so many scenarios just didn’t make sense. The April character I liked in a previous episode but in this one she seemed way flat. While I know firefighters put their lives on the line every day, this season of CF had a squad member in crisis each episode and I have to say it’s getting old.

8. TV Gord says:

I don’t look to nitpick every little detail about these shows that I watch once and move on, so I’m happy with what I saw tonight! Seeing Platt and Holden and Merkerson every week again would be just fine with me!

9. bill says:

Last season’s Chicago Fire/Chicago Med 2-Part backdoor pilot had explosions at Chicago Med and Shay had to have emergency surgery and almost died. This season’s Chicago Fire/Chicago Med backdoor pilot had an explosion at Chicago Med and Severide had to have emergency surgery and almost died. They are not even trying to be original. They swapped out Oliver Platt and Laurie Holden for Dylan Baker and Amanda Righetti. They practically recycled the script. No effort at all.

• 'A' Has Been Revived says:

Exactly! That’s what made me want to pass on this.

• christina says:

First off that last episode was not a spin off or pilot for Chicago med. It was just an episode. And if your talking about the guy who saved the cops niece, he was also in another episode. The where the train explodes. The crossovers are good. But last night really wasn’t one.

10. Kamil says:

Laurie Holden and Oliver Platt were the reason why I decided to watch this single episode of “Chicago Fire”. What I can say, it was amazing. Intense pace, a lot of drama and wonderful characters coused that I became very involved into the storyline. I really like all of the characters and this is a big success of this episode. I don’t know if the writers repeated something here but I don’t care about that. The most importatn thing is that they convinced me to look in the future on “Chicago Med”. I will definitely watch this spinn-off and I hope that it will get a green light form NBC.

11. Vi says:

I thought It was a great episode.

12. Sally McLinn says:

As always I was on the edge of my seat. This is one of my “don’t miss” shows, and I loved this episode.

13. Bella says:

As a huge Grey’s Anatomy fan I can’t see me watching another Medical show. I have enough to watch with Chicago Fire and PD. But hope the show does well.

14. kn1231 says:

Can anyone re-explain the relationship between Severide & April. I thought they went to high school together, and he ended up living with her because his parents neglected him. But last night she said she was born in November 1992, which would make her 22. Severide is no where near 22, so I must have missed something, or misinterpreted the relationship. When it comes to the episode, I enjoyed it. Love any chance we get references to Shay and I love that Casey and Dawson hooked up. As for the Med cast, I like Yaya and Platt and think they can bring a lot to the Chicago family. I can’t see this show not getting picked up, NBC doesn’t really too many options from what I have been seeing.

15. HeatherC says:

So far the jury is still out for me on most of the ChiMed characters (I did like Oliver Platt and Epatha’s characters though) but I definitely enjoyed the episode last night. Will tried to black tag Kelly which put him in my doghouse for most of the episode but I’ve actually liked him since they intro’d him on CPD so hopefully we blow by that random moment of insanity (half my Twitter feed was ready to lynch him last night for that, LOL). I was very happy to finally see some good Dawsey interaction after weeks of them avoiding each other! Being scared for your life will make you reevaluate things pretty quickly and yeah, count me as another who doesn’t believe for one minute that their hookup was just a reaction to the stress of the day, LOL ;)

• Bwhit says:

I felt that way about Will too! I was like you were doing so good than you want to black tag Severide…. Oh heck no!!!! If it gets picked up I see some of the Fire guys not letting that one go :)

16. Z says:

I wanted something like ER with the action, intensity, and realism that made that show great

17. CJ says:

It was okay, but it was hardly any different from the last hospital episode they had. As others have said, it was like they recycled the script. I’m getting a little fatigued of the crossovers so I’d prefer not to add another show to the mix. I’d rather keep The Night Shift for my dose of hospital drama.

18. JB says:

Brilliant casting with S. Epatha and Oliver Platt. This is all perfect. Severide loses one best friend — Shay, and now gets an old best friend back — April. The troubled Dr. Halstead saves the day, and proves to be not only one of the best doctors ever — but also one of the nicest. Also, did anyone else catch it last episode that he apparently dated Mills’ doctor sister back in the Sudan? Love that the “Chicago…” world is expanding.

19. NP says:

I love a good medical show and there have been great ones set in Chicago but last night’s episode just made me wish they had ended up at Chicago Hope instead of Chicago Med

20. Patricia says:

is it going to be called ER? Lol

21. Sarah says:

I think the biggest problem with this potential spinoff is how on earth it plans to distinguish itself from ER. No matter what they do there’s a good chance ER will already have done it, and done it better. I don’t see any way this spinoff has potential, although I’m a little curious about Halstead’s brother.

• susan says:

It was too much like ER for my liking. Besides the only stories lines they have are Chicago FIRE/PD base.

• ? says:

Yeah, it’s basically going to be ER. Chicago Fire is just ER at a firehouse instead of a hospital. But so what? ER isn’t on anymore, and if the new show writes characters as good as ER did, why wouldn’t you watch it?

22. bj says:

I didn’t really like Laurie Holden. I did like Sharon (S. Epatha Merkerson) and Daniel (Oliver Platt)

I think I would have preferred Amanda Righetti on the show.

23. eva says:

Did anyone notice that at the end Peter Mills looks like he is leaving the show it was a good episode Severide is so brave you just watch Dawson is going to end up pregnant

24. Diane says:

Love the show. Tired of reality shows. I live in reality and I like to be entertained with a good story

25. Brad says:

I thought the “pilot” was a good story, but the dialogue writing needed some serious help in that episode. Oliver Platt was great as always as was S. Epatha Merkerson, two amazing veteran actors. I liked Yaya DeCosta in previous Chicago Fire episodes, its a shame the writers took a nap while developing her character this episode. Laurie Holden looked like she was performing a DIY surgical Youtube video instead of immersing you in the life or death battle for Severide. The show has great potential with the caliber of actors they have, just please give us more realistic and more intelligent dialogue.

26. Loved it, will watch, can’t wait.

27. LH86 says:

I love Fire and PD so I will certainly give Med a chance if it gets picked up! I have to agree with some who have mentioned somewhat “sloppy” writing however… The part that bothered me the most was the scene between the psychiatrist, Halstead and Ruzek. The doctor says the bomber wanted to put on a show, and turns out it is indeed a media circus. Halstead and Ruzek both turn around to face dozens of flashing cameras. Is the intelligence unit not supposed to remain totally anonymous at all times? Won’t their picture in the paper hinder any undercover work they might do in the future? All I could think was “Voigt is NOT going to be happy”!

28. cyclone says:

The last time they tried to do a “back door pilot” for Chicago Med I think it failed because it wasn’t showing the doctors in action so I’m sure that’s why it failed to get picked up. This take 2 really focused on us getting to know the doctors and seeing them in action BUT they don’t seem to have any personality. I didn’t like Oliver Platts character (that’s probably the point), Will Halstead…is that really the best they can do? The doctor played by Laurie Holden, I hope they’re not laying the groundwork for a Will/Hannah hook-up because she seems about 10 years older than him in maturity and she doesn’t need his kind of drama. And what can I say, any show with S. Epatha Merkerson is a show I will watch, however what’s going to happen when the Chicago shows collide with SVU again? Because Lt Van Buren made some guest spots on SVU. I liked the Amanda Righetti character from the last Chicago Med try.

• skate_08 says:

Law & Order was well known for recycling actors from one series as a completely different character in another series. In fact, I think they even brought an actor back as a different character in the same series a few times. I’d say they might throw in an inside joke, but otherwise it’s a different character and characters aren’t aware of the actors who play them.

29. AprilH says:

I had a strong feeling by watching the episode that they were setting up for another spin-off, with hospital characters. I’m already hooked and a big fan of both Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D. and hope and pray NBC picks up the potention Chicago Med spin-off. Can’t wait! Also love the Fire/P.D. and SUV cross over episodes.

• Vania says:

I don’t even bother watching the SVU episodes. There’s no crossover whatever from Fire or PD on that show (unless you count 30s at the end “let’s all go to Chicago now!”, which I don’t) and I don’t enjoy SVU as a show on its own either. Watched it for the first time even for the first big crossover event and was terribly disappointed. I just skipped over it the last time, and watched Fire and PD – and I honestly don’t feel like I missed anything by doing so.

I DO LOVE the little crossover pieces they have between Fire and PD all the time, though, where characters from both shows spend time on their sister show. Now those are what are called crossovers.

30. looks like grey’s is visiting ER 2,0. not interested in another GH at night show. unless it turns into City of Angels or St Elsewhere. I’ll be watching something else

31. Vania says:

I’ve already spent 15 years watching a Chicago medical drama, “ER”. I’m not interested in watching another. I love Fire and PD, but 3 shows in one “world” is a lot of TV to watch just to follow the overlapping story lines. Though I really like the firefighters and cops, I have very little interest in an “ER” knockoff (not to mention I already watch a handful of other medical shows, which have, themselves, started to get redundant)…they should just stick with Fire and PD and leave it at that.

32. Renee Herrington says:

Love the idea of Chicago Med series. I use to love ER and now I watch The Night Shift, looking forward to a new medical drama! And of course seeing the characters from Chicago Fire and Chicago PD on there occasionally makes it even better!

33. TRACY says:

They had me at Lauren Holden…I LOVED her on The Walking Dead!! As long as she is on, I will b a viewer :-)

34. Regina Phalange says:

I need help, the previews for the next Chicago Fire indicate Mills is leaving 51. Any idea where he is going? Is he leaving the show? Also, is it just me or does Sophia Bush’s voice sound like she constantly has phlegm in her throat and get annoying??

35. Roe says:

Come the Fall of 2015 it’s gonna be Chicago night!! Love the cross overs!!

36. Mark Roegner says:

love Chicago fire PD sucks will never watch again

37. Kristina says:

Can we take a second to discuss how NOT COOL it was of NBC to put “guest appearance by Lauren German” in the opening credits?! I got all excited because it implied that she shot some new scene(s). Teasing the fans like that is NOT okay.

38. Wayne says:

Great tv when they put all Chicago shows together with the same cast