Arrested Development Season 5 Will Span 17 Episodes, Says EP Brian Grazer

Book your celebratory table at Klimpy’s — and pray that the Ike and Tina Tuna is still on the menu — because the Bluth family is coming back to television.

Arrested Development executive producer Brian Grazer confirmed during an interview with The B.S. Report (embedded below) that a fifth season of the cult-favorite comedy is in the works.

“We’re gonna do another 17 episodes,” Grazer told host Bill Simmons, when asked about the Emmy-winning series that ran for three seasons (from 2003-2006) on Fox, then was revived with an additional 15-episode run in 2013 via Netflix. “So stay tuned for Arrested Development.”

Fast-forward to the 24-minute mark and press PLAY to hear Grazer share the news (and dish the success of Empire), then share your thoughts on whether this is a great idea — or a huge mistake.

1. hansen says:

Please more family-scenes, biggest issue i have with season 4 was the lack of family interaction

• ed says:

yeah I agree. they should really consider doing a shorter season of like 5-8 episodes so that the family can actually interact with each other. id rather have 5 episodes than 17 if it meant that AD would return to its previous format.

• Spandex says:

Totally agree. I would take a shorter season with more family interaction than a long season with limited family collaboration. Love the show as a whole, but season 4 was sort of hard to ingest with all the stops and pauses they had in order to center the episodes to a particular character, it was really bumpy to follow.

2. Sandra says:

I sure hope they can get all the actors together for each episode. The last season just wasn’t the same.

• HAP says:

The problem is that just about everyone in the cast has other gigs most of the time. Not to mention That Jessica Walter is 74 and Jeffery Tambor is 70.

3. alistaircrane says:

Yes!!! Season 4 ended on so many cliffhangers. Can’t wait to see what’s next! Also, I loved the non-linear format of Season 4, but I guess some viewers couldn’t keep up, so I bet they’ll go back to the traditional format of Seasons 1-3.

• D says:

It’s not that viewers couldn’t keep up, but that half of the fun of the show was seeing how this crazy family interacted together. It’s not as fun when they are separate.

• greta says:

Totally with you! I only just watched the whole show this year so I didn’t realize there was going to be a gap. I have to say that they did really well with what they had to work with (schedules & Lindsey’ s weird look at first) & made up for it with incredibly clever interweaving stories. I have seen it multiple times now (background noise) & am STILL just noticing little things in the background! Totally excited!

4. Stanislava says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Steven says:

Season 4 just wasn’t very good. I hope this season is better.

6. Tom says:

People are surprised Empire is so successful?

7. dan says:

I can’t wait. I thought Season Four was hysterical, though I would agree that seeing more of the family together would be great.

8. WonderWaage says:

Get the cast together or don’t do the show. Please.

9. Artemis says:

YES!!! Why only 17 episodes? Do hope everyone is there, one time or another…

10. Julie says:

I found AD later, but I fell in love instantly! There was and is nothing like it on Tv.
    It has an all star cast but no one attempts to out state anyone else. I think that’s where the brilliance of the casting really comes to together.
    I’d love to see a season 5. I enjoyed the anthology aspect, but it is crazy fun when the family is put in the same small space together.
    That’s when the insane madness happens for me.