Vampire Diaries Shocker: Nina Dobrev Leaving After Season 6

Looks like Elena Gilbert has written her final Vampire Diaries entry.

Nina Dobrev has confirmed that she’s exiting the CW series after some Instagram photos suggesting that she was leaving surfaced over the weekend .

“I’ve just spent the most beautiful weekend on Lake Lanier in Georgia with my own TVD Family, the cast and crew of The Vampire Diaries,” Dobrev wrote on Instagram. “I want to be the first to tell you that it wasn’t just a holiday celebration, it was a goodbye party. I always knew I wanted Elena’s story to be a six season adventure, and within those six years I got the journey of a lifetime.”

Additionally, a statement from showrunner Julie Plec indicates that Michael Trevino, who plays Tyler Lockwood and co-stars in the ABC pilot The Kingmakers, will no longer be a series regular.

“Saying goodbye to Nina is both bittersweet and beautiful,” Julie Plec said. “After six-plus years together, the entire cast and crew of The Vampire Diaries has reached a level of closeness that I don’t think any of us ever expected. Nina is excited to spread her wings, get some rest, travel the world and also take it by storm, and we support her a thousand-fold. We will miss Nina and the four hundred characters she played, but we look forward to the insane and exciting challenge of continuing to tell stories of our Salvatore Brothers and our much-loved and gifted ensemble.

“Michael has been a beloved member of the Vampire Diaries family since Day 1,” Plec continued. “Even though he’s also going to be out in the world exploring new opportunities, we look forward to finding creative ways to make sure he and his character Tyler Lockwood always remain a part of the show.”

Read Dobrev’s full statement below:

Dearest TVD Family, I've just spent the most beautiful weekend on Lake Lanier in Georgia with my own TVD Family, the cast and crew of The Vampire Diaries. I want to be the first to tell you that it wasn't just a holiday celebration, it was a goodbye party. I always knew I wanted Elena's story to be a six season adventure, and within those six years I got the journey of a lifetime. I was a human, a vampire, a doppelganger, a crazy immortal, a doppelganger pretending to be human, a human pretending to be a doppelganger. I got kidnapped, killed, resurrected, tortured, cursed, body-snatched, was dead and undead, and there's still so much more to come before the season finale in May. Elena fell in love not once, but twice, with two epic soulmates, and I myself made some of the best friends I'll ever know and built an extended family I will love forever. There's more to come before we wrap this up, and I promise you'll get to hear all about my experiences over the next month as we approach the season finale (I have given an exclusive interview for the June issue of SELF Magazine that I am excited for you to see!), but until then I invite you to hop on the roller coaster ride that is Elena Gilbert's life and join me as I celebrate her and prepare to say goodbye to her — and to my work family — as I move on to the next chapter of my life. I want to share this goodbye with all of you (this weekend's pictures were just the beginning). You, the wonderful fandom who gave more love, support and passion than anyone could have ever imagined seven years ago, when a young Degrassi girl from Canada showed up in LA to audition for 'that Twilight TV show.' ;-) I love you all. Fasten your seatbelts. If you think you know what's coming, you don't. Love, Nina

A post shared by Nina Dobrev (@nina) on

1. Annie says:

The fact that they’re continuing on with another season without her is utterly beyond me.

• Mike says:

Exactly, is it really Vampire Diaries without the main character? Not smart for the network.

• Tom says:

I’m thinking the same way. it would be really different without her.

• Pearl says:

It’s strange. For almost three seasons it has been a thousand of TVD fans begging to kill Elena, cause she was whining, and plane, and not interested. Same with Tyler.
          Then, we have an Elena-free TVD and everyone is bashing it.
          C’mon!!!
          The Diaries are supposed to be Stefan’s. And even if it wasn’t, it says VAMPIRE’s, not Elena’s.
          Yeah, it might feel weird, but maybe won’t be.
          The one question I have is how they will get to keep Ian when they transformed his character into Elena’s boy and nothing else.
          As far as Nina is concerned, good luck to her.

• Me says:

Like it or not Elena was the central character to this series, it started off as a series about Stefan but that premise changed earlier on mid season 1 and over the seasons when they made Elena the key and answer to everything. At this point everyone seems to be a supporting act to her character. I’m not sure TVD can pull off this series without Elena

• cat says:

i agree, how are they going to keep ian.. unless they wirte some silly story about him giving her the cure and compelling her to forget everything and leave “cause he loves her so much”

• cat says:

maybe stefan will kill elena with his humanity off
            then bonnie will console damon

• Dude says:

People hate Elena because she is a whiny, self interested character but it’s Nina that’s the glue that holds this show together. I’ve never liked Elena but I know TVD will suck without her.

• Leeeeeeeee says:

completely agree sounds like Bamon fans might finally get to see it on screen

• Deb says:

I agree, I haven’t watched it in awhile. But this caught my eye on FB. I’m probably going to give it another chance now that whiny ass character is leaving. I wouldn’t call her plain though I think she’s beautiful. It was the character she portrayed I didn’t care for.

• lynn says:

if you have noticed those brother’s lives were centered on her which makes this move almost stupid.

• DbuzzB says:

OMG I for one would love it. I was sympathetic to her character for a long time. She was always the damsel in distress and when she became a vampire I was like “yes!, she is finally going to kick some ass!” But somehow she still was always kidnapped and threatened. I like my female characters to be BAMFs!

• marion says:

The vampire Diaries is about Elena falling for Stefan and Damon. Stefan said the first “Dear diary” it doesn’t make the show about him. The 3 of them took turn to do it, but the main character is Elena

• Homesick says:

I’d say it’s about time: the only point of a love triangle is to build romantic tension, but Elena exhausted said tension about three seasons ago. Save for give each brother a new love interest there was nothing they could do for the show, and no love interest would work with Elena around to dragg the story over and over.

I hope they can use this opportunity, I hope each brother has the most terrific, engaging and romantic love story and I hope the new love interests – whoever they are – could build even more and exciting romantic tension.

• pat says:

IN MY OPINION I THINK THE SHOW WILL BE BORING BUT ON THE OTHER HAND KLAUS EXCITED THE VAMPIRE DIARIES AND ITS NOT SO BABY AFTER ALL

• who’s writing these Diaries? Stephan? Elena?

• Baileigh says:

Since when is Elena the sole main character in The Vampire Diaries?

• Can anyone please tell me why everyone and her aunt has suddenly started whining about how Nina Dobrev is the only lead of the show?

• KimB says:

They should just end TVD then!

• D says:

recast her (body change) create a new spin-off called Salvatore.

• Desiree says:

Love Nina, and I will miss her but it will be interesting to finally see the Salvatores in a world that doesn’t revolve around Elena. At least for one season. A great show shouldn’t end because of one character, she doesn’t make or break TVD. Katherine was more exciting to watch than Elena and it’s survived without her.

• Connor says:

i agree

• pat says:

UMM NO DISREPECT TO YOU BUT JUST GET REAL ELANA AND KATHERINE ARE THE SAME PERSON AND ALSO NO MATTER HOW ANYONE TAKES IT EVERY THING THAT HAS BEEN GOING ON IN THESE PAST 6 SEASONS IS ALL BECAUSE OF ELANA AND ELANA IS THE STAR OF TVD AND I WOULD LOVE TO TALK ABOUT KATHERINE SHE WAS EVIL SHE WAS MEANT TO BE GETTING RID OF SO THATS WHY THE SHOW HAS BEEN DOING GOOD

• lynn says:

and i am wondering what will they be doing….Catherine is gone and now Elena

• Ari says:

I say good riddance. Elena was easily the worst character on the show. I think it will improve greatly without her. I think the thing to really celebrate here is that Michael Trevino is breaking free and finally going somewhere that he might actually be used as more than just another shirtless boy. He actually seemed to be fairly talented but TVD would never really let him do anything.

• Faith says:

Ikr. She IS the show

2. Good lord. The Delena stans are going to lose their sh*t.

*grabs a deckchair and a martini and settles in*

• KimB says:

Alot of us saw this coming…Ian and Nina’s off-screen tension is hard to ignore..we were just hoping that they could move past it but apparently not.

• Nellie says:

Cancel TVD, and whoever wants to, can go to Originals.

• Patrick says:

This. Spending hours every day doing romantic scenes opposite your former boyfriend, who is now engaged to your (presumably) former best friend can’t be easy.
        That said, age wise, she’s in her prime as far as movies are concerned, and its hard to get into that when you film in Atlanta all year. As a Canuck, the ATL is both distant and jarring, I’m sure.

• I am a “Delena” fan, but seriously, ^^THIS^^

• Dmac says:

It has been hilarious so far. It seems Nikki is to blame and other crazy $hit.

• Vicky says:

In all seriousness Is it just me or does everyone else see Nikki as a carpet rider. I have followed twilight for a while and I never once read anything about her saving the world or animals rescues etc…until she got with Ian ??? Makes me question her intent with Ian ….and to top it off I believe this is the reason Nina is leaving and I am sure the show will survive …..But I am certain she left due to the Nikki and Ian thing…The chemistry between her and Ian is totally gone …might be a good thing for the show Damon can go back to be the adorable bad boy again

• Ari says:

I don’t really follow Nikki but in her defense, I remember seeing multiple articles about her love of animals before she met Ian. I remember something about a horse and I believe it was she who had a pet rat.

• lynn says:

Damon is only adorable when he is involuntarily falling in love other than that i am afraid we are going to have another Enzo in the show

• Ari says:

The one thing about this that is making me really happy (other than the fact Elena will finally be gone) is that there will be no Delena or Stelena anymore. She ends up with neither of them and it is so wonderful.

3. Gabriel Anthony says:

We all know now that tvd is ending next year, right? And just now that elena’s story is not ridiculous…

4. ladyluck527 says:

Time to cancel it. Make the s6 finale the series finale..no TVD without Nina

5. RobMF says:

How does this show continue without her? I know other shows have done it sucesfully but this one seems highly impossible.

6. BrianR says:

Then thats the end of the show for me.

7. queerbec says:

What will all the Dalena shippers do now? Would Plec kill Elena off just so Damon could move on? What a roller coaster of season-ending episodes! (I vote for ending series at the end of the season!)

8. Dude says:

I’ve been anticipating this, we all knew she was the holdout. Really this should be the final year. As much as I hate Elena as a character (I like Nina just not Elena), she’s the glue that holds the show together. TVD won’t work without her.

9. Alyse says:

So it seems like she will end up with neither of her love interests at the end since they both will be in season 7. This is reminding me of true blood, all the seasons dealing with the love triangle only for her to end up with neither.

• Brooke says:

True Blood? I think you mean Buffy.

• Dude says:

Nope, True Blood is the better example. Buffy stopped developing her love life in season five. It made sense she didn’t end up with Angel and her and Spike were never real. True Blood yoyo’d Sookie back and forth between Bill and Erik for seven years only to have her decide she wanted a normal life with a human man. That was a cop out.

• onlimain says:

Buffy was never involved in a love triangle, especially not one where she went back and forth between two love interests. In fact, except for a brief period of four episodes, none of the BtVS characters had relationships that overlapped. (At least none that weren’t spell-induced.) The characters had a relationship, it ended, then they eventually moved on.

(I’m not including the comics because I don’t know what’s been going on in them.)

• Homesick says:

The only point of a love triangle is to strech romantic tension, but Sookie didn’t need to after she got involved Eric. Neither did Bill or Eric, which is what made it a happy ending for all of them. Not only for the one who “wins” the girl.

10. Heather says:

This is bittersweet, I will Nina but she has the talent to expand her career! However, I totally agree with the other comments. Season 6 should be a series finale. No Tvd with Nina/Elena. Maybe t will be different once we see the finale, but since the show has gone downhill anyway it seems like a good time to call it quits. I hope her break up with Ian and they’re apparnet “hostile” relations had nothing to do with this.

11. Beth says:

WOW. And this is a statement that pretty much seems to mean she’s done and won’t even be back to wrap-up the storylines when they end the show, this really sucks for the devoted fans tbh. I checked out awhile ago but yikes.

12. Team ME! says:

why don’t they cancel the show now, not like its a big hit for cw anymore, should end with some dignity

13. webly3 says:

Looks like TVD will shortly be cancelled after the seventh season. Nina Dobrev was the show.

14. Me says:

I guess I’m in the minority but in the last few seasons Elena has evolved into my least favorite character on TVD.

• m3rcnate says:

Well it is true that she went from being the central character (along with Stefan) to eventually becoming one of three central characters (love triangle) to now in the past season or two she has really fallen into JUST being “the girlfriend”. The show seems to really be about Stefan and Daemon and their adventures/problems/lives. Elena has no family, he brother left, Caroline is off the deep end and for almost a whole season her other best friend (Bonnie) was alone stuck in a alternate dimension. Only because of her important to the doppelganger mythology and having Daemon so in love with her would she be missed. That and the show started with her so no matter how small her role gets..you only have so many characters on the show since the pilot that you feel very connected to.

• IMHO says:

You maybe in the minority but you are NOT alone.

• luv2cook says:

Right there with you.

• Don’t worry, you have plenty of people who feel the same way.

15. m3rcnate says:

Hmmmm…well first off lets call a spade a spade…you peaked on this show and to go longer (most likely to sign a new contract) would mean you are spending precious gorgeous young years of your life as an actress on a CW Vampire show with your ex bf (who married her friend). And that you already got all the fame/attention/acting reel you can get from. You can now go and try to get into movies and be the next Shailene Woodley or someone, or get on another show that is “serious” and is taken more seriously and shows off your acting chops (not saying she has any per-se).

I would be curious to see what TVD looks like without her and with Daemon taking the cure and becoming human or maybe Stefan takes it…there are some options there, but im left wondering what happens to the Silas Amara doppelganger mythology with her off the show? I cant imagine they would write her off the show (aka not kill her character)…can they still keep the mythology intact by saying a baby was born somewhere that will end up being a Amara doppelganger? Doesn’t it have to be in the same blood line or something?

What i think would be best is to end the show in season 6 (if they get a S7 i bet it will plummet in viewers and get cancelled) and should move Stefan and Caroline and MAYBE Daemon to The Originals. I’d love to see Caroline on the Originals given her past with Klaus, id love to see Stefan on the Originals (he could work with his GF who is on that show), and Daemon is always pretty fun, especially if the death of Elena sends him reeling and he turns off his humanity and goes wild on a spree.

• m3rcnate says:

What i just thought of thats interesting (potentially if done right) is getting this show up and moving. I HIGHLY doubt they will (maybe even can) do it but they could use losing Elena (and the anchor to mystic falls that she is) and have the brothers (and Caroline and Bonnie) leave Mystic falls. Pickup and move production to…Vancouver and say its Seattle or to LA (as LA) or to Toronto (as NYC) and cast a whole new group of supporting characters (they could find some hits, look at how much we enjoy marcel and davina and a few others on that show). It would be awesome to watch the Salvatore brothers walk into a whole new town/city and not be the top dogs, there can be a whole new big bad (800 yr old vampire who runs a mafia/gang/cult/something). You can see who has the best chemistry with who and them ship them (though i like Steroline personally and could even ship Bonnie+Daemon in a post-Elena death story).
      Personally i think the best option and more likely would be (like i said) just having the best characters join The Originals (Daemon, Caroline, Bonnie, Stefan).
      Still, the best way to revitalize this show and make things new and pump a ton of new handsome/pretty talent into the show is to get them out of boring & stale Mystic falls and get them in a new town/city where they are out of their element.

• 'A' Has Been Revived says:

The show was renewed for a season 7 in January. Also, the network AND everyone already knew Nina was leaving after this season so I’m guessing they already cooked something up for season 7. I just hope its a short season though.

16. lol says:

bye bye dullena

17. LEENA says:

Can they just combine the shows now?

18. Ashbash says:

Unless they find a replacement “Elena” either as a recast or a new character to center everything around this show is going to tank next year and it won’t be pretty. People have been watching this show for Elena for six years and despite how popular Carolune has become she is no Elena and this show will suffer without Nina Dobrev. This is why the CW shouldn’t renew shows so early because things like this happen and you know they are going to be screwed for next season unless they pull a Hail Mary. One alternative could be moving Cami from the originals over to the Vampire Diaries since there has been much use of her on the originals.

19. Chris says:

You can’t have the lead female leave the show and continue the show. Cancel it. Personally I think it’s rude to not stay with your show til the end. You made the commitment stick it out.

• chris says:

She signed a 6 year contract… and did the show for 6 years. I’d say that was honouring her commitment.

• KimB says:

I feel the same way, as the lead she has the responsibility of staying with the show until the end..she owes the fans at least that much!

• DYS says:

In other words you essentially are saying that she’s turning her back on the fans, when in reality some of the fans will be the ones turning their back on her since they no longer can benefit from her being on the show and selfishly think that they should be able to dictate what she does with her life.

• Dmac says:

She owes you nothing. She signed for six years and that is what she committed to and made good on. Be happy Delena is over Elena chose herself.

• KimB says:

How convenient for her, why then did they not state that in the beginning of the series that Elena will only be on TVD for 6 seasons only; that way fans know not to get too invested in her character..
          No fan starts watching a show hoping to drop it halfway through or after a certain number of seasons! I didn’t signup for 6 years of TVD only…so why should she! She owes the fans as much commitment as they show her!

• Drew says:

You watch the show because you like it. It is entertainment for you.
            She acts on the show because it is a job. It is work. Long hours. Little time for a personal life. Far away from her home.
            She has no responsibility to be ad big a fan of her job as you are. If she wants to leave, it doesn’t make her a bad person any more than you would be if you wanted to find a new job.

• 'A' Has Been Revived says:

Oh be quiet! She doesn’t owe anything to you. She honored her commitment and played Elena for 6 years. She enjoyed the show and the cast/crew. She always planned for it to be a six season story and the writers knew this was coming. That means The CW knew it was coming and STILL renewed the show. Get. Over. It. She’s living HER life and will move on to some greater things. They didn’t have to state that she’s just a 6 season character. That’d be dumb of them. She was the leading lady. Now, the show will reinvent itself for season 7 (and hopefully that will be its last season).

• TayMads says:

It was never guaranteed that the Vampire Diaries was going to be on for six seasons. I honestly didn’t think the show would last this long and I am a fan. There is nothing else you can do with this character. Nothing outside of her marrying Damon and that isn’t going to happen. I support her decision and will still watch the show but it will be different without her.

• KimB says:

If she knew she could only commit for 6 seasons then why not announce this prior to s6 or at least at the beginning of season 6 thus giving fans time/a full season to mourn & come to terms with the news and also say farewell to their beloved character.
            Giving fans such little notice when the season is left with 6 episodes is a huge slap in the face to fans who have stuck with her and loved her character for 6 years.
            I suppose little notice is better than none at all…but still this sucks!
            Anyway that’s my opinion you may agree or not, it doesn’t really bother me either way, this is how I feel

• Miffy says:

um, yes you can. Ever heard of a little show called “Cheers”?

20. Babybop says:

Whoa. That’s pretty shocking. Nothing against Nina (because I LOVED Katherine), but Elena was so insufferable that I stopped watching the show. I might watch next season if her character gets killed off/leaves forever.

21. Tina says:

Good for her moving on and expanding her career. I think they should have ended TVD this season it should be series finale. I don’t see the show without her.

22. Phillip says:

Mark my words, next season will be its last.

23. lorna says:

There goes my hope for Stelena. Wjy bother with s7?

• … uhm, because there are fans who want to watch the show even if Elena does not end up with Stefan? Maybe it’s better to stop acting as if the Stelena and Delena fandom comprise the entire following of the show?

24. Danielle says:

Entonces se Acabo the vampire Diares ? Sin elena como haremos

• Fernanda says:

Yo espero que se vaya Elena y que vuelva Katherine, es absurdo continuar TDV sin la protagonista, no le veo sentido, pero últimamente con tantas idas y venidas se ha perdido el rumbo de esta serie, no creo que se sostenga solo con Damon, Stefan, Caroline y los pocos que quedan.

Que culmine este año

25. KimB says:

I am Delena shipper and I’m not surprised by this at all… their off screen tension has been spilling over into their on-screen chemistry and its been really hard to separate the two. It’s just so sad that they let their personal dramas affect their work! They should just end the series already..what is the point of still continuing at this point.

• If you want it to end, stop watching. Then it will have ended for you. Petitioning for the show to be cancelled is childish, selfish and respectless to those who enjoy the parts of the show that aren’t revolving around Miss Special Little Snowflake.

• Me says:

This show was Elena-central and it is going to be a hot mess without her…it should end now whilst they still have a bit of dignity left! Fans will petition and we will sign…

26. ninergrl6 says:

Good for Nina for following her heart and pursuing new ventures. I don’t, however, understand how the show will function without her. While Elena was never my favorite character, she IS the central character around which everything else revolves.

27. Rachel says:

I’m really not surprised about this I mean cmon she said she wanted to stop playing elena after the 6th season & she & the rest of the cast seem sick of plec & co. I’m just glad Steven, Michael & her jumped ship I’m just waiting for the rest of the cast (especially Paul, candice, kat, zach & ian to do the same)

28. H says:

BAMON BAMON BAMON!

29. Ejdax37 says:

The Originals have set up the perfect solution for this already. They never have to worry about a actor leaving or contract negotiations again, just have then jump into another body! I will be very surprised if they actually write the character of Elena off completely. This will solve the whole awkward kissing-you-ex thing they have going right now.

30. Elissa says:

How can they continue this show without it’s MAIN character??!?! I’m baffled and saddened by this news. Yes, there are many brilliant actors and characters on this show, but Elena has always been the focal point. Wow.

31. A. D. says:

This sucks! We all know the real reason. They better find a WELL KNOWN, sexy, replacement female character…

32. anonymous 11 says:

I think the some cast got sick of how the writers are writing the show. That’s why Jeremy(forgot his real name) left too and now Nina and Michael are leaving. I myself stopped watching it by season 4. The story gets boring. It’s like they’re just writing it to prolong the show and satisfy die hard fans. I say they should cancel the show and end it this season.

• TVDfan says:

Michael Aka Tyler is leaving too? oHh if tht is the case the show should be cancell right away not he same without key actors

33. aph1976 says:

I wish the Nina Dobrev all the best and after 6 seasons she may want to do something else.As for TVD maybe it should end after this season or even maybe a shortened next season.However it could be interesting to see how the show will survive without Elena.Plus the door could be left open for her to return one day somehow.For example Elena could go missing in some way and next season could be about the other characters trying to find her.

• Destiny says:

They will probably have her take ‘the cure’ and then something tragic happens to her and she dies leaving Damon in a killing mood and Sarah Salvatore comes into play somewhere in that mix.

34. I will not watch tvd without nina i love her and her many characters

35. Evan says:

They have already started grooming the new female lead: Sarah Salvatore

36. KimB says:

They better not be thinking of making Caroline the new lead…she’s terrible enough as a support. Like it or not Elena was the glue to the characters on the show.

37. jerrired says:

Can’t say I’m shocked by either exit, there has been rumors about them since the show got renewed. Not a fan of Elena’s recent personality but I do like Nina. It’ll be sad to see all the doppelgangers gone. I may be in the minority but I think the series will be fine without Elena. It hasn’t been great for awhile, I doubt this will make it unbearable.

38. Lee Fowler says:

I don’t like this. I don’t like this one bit.

39. KC says:

I thought this show was dead a long time ago – perfect opportunity to end it all!!

40. Kat says:

I will miss Elena, but I actually haven’t really been paying much attention to her this season…she’s kind of been background noise for me. I wonder if they did that on purpose? I’d actually love to see Bonnie take on a more central role. I’m really liking the evolvement of her character. I like Caroline, too, so I could definitely deal with her being at the center, but I’d prefer Bonnie. Or both girls together.

I know she’s basically the show, or she started off that way, but I’m kind of tired of Elena. And the Elena/Damon love story. I’m satisfied that they’re end game. They’re IT. Don’t need that thrust in my face anymore! It feels like it’s time for her character to step back a bit. I’m ready for some new blood story-and-character-wise.

I’ve come to love all the characters, not just Elena, so even if it may mean just one more season for the show without her…I’m VERY curious to see it! Again, sad to see her go as she’s been there since the beginning and it’s ELENA, but excited, too!

• justjesse74 says:

I was jjust thinking, How should the show continue without Elena? The more I thought about it……..Am I crazy or did anyone else like the sweet chemistry between Damon/Bonnie when they were stuck together trying to return to Mystic Falls? JUST SAY IN……

41. Itiswhatitis says:

You know- I get wanting to get out and expand…but that poor crew. Hopefully they find a creative way to do this but let’s be honest, she’s the main girl – the whole story this far has revolved around her. One more season wouldn’t have killed her, and that poor crew probably should start looking for new jobs.

42. justjesse74 says:

Wouldn’t that be like Edward without Bella???

43. TVDfan says:

I doubt they will find a replacement for her. She leaves the show wont be the same. Sometimes I feel if hr departure has to do with the off screen relationship between Nina and Ian. I mean when they broke up as a real couple they had still to work together and shoot difficult scenes that were lets say romantic and they had to kiss each other passionately I know they are actors and tey are playing a part on screen, but what if neither Nina or Ian could not find that balance working on screen. Then Ian started dating one of Ninas best friends Nikki Reed.and later got engaged in short time, while Nin and Ian never past the phase of dating for 3 yrs and Ian propose to Nikki in a very short time after dating. Maybe for Nina it was now more difficult to shoot scenes with him and the fact that there were reports that Nikki constantly visit TVD set to be with Ian, for Nina perhpas that situation was even more difficult to shot scenes with ian that involve passion, love and be in physical contact to each other. Just a theory

• Dmac says:

How about her contract was up and she moved on like she planed. This isn’t a soap opera and Nikki didn’t cause this. Nina broke up with Ian and she is happy. End of story.

44. wrstlgirl says:

Wow I might have to start watching again.

45. Amanda says:

As much as I’ll miss Nina Dobrev on the show, this definitely makes sense. She’s almost been reduced to a supporting character this season and hasn’t had much material to work with. She’s a great actress and her dream has always been to be the “next Angelina Jolie-type action star”. Now she can go on and live out her dreams.

Also, this isn’t the first time in tv history that a show has lost one of its leads and continued on…OTH lost Chad Michael Murray and still went on for a few years more, Charlie Sheen on Two and a half men, Kirstie Alley on Cheers, Spin City, etc. Not saying necessarily that those shows were better or worse after that but they still survived for a while longer.

I’m excited to see what they can do now and get back to the vampire aspect of the show.

46. JWow says:

Who says Elena is going anywhere? Maybe she gets turned back into a human, and goes on just with a different body …

47. Stephanie says:

Y r u choosing to leave now

48. Cas says:

Perfect now I can erase the episodes I have been meaning to catch up on….