Person of Interest: [Spoiler] to Return!

Person of Interest Carter Returns

CBS’ Person of Interest will offer its loyal fans a little cookie on April 14, with the return of a favorite character.

Taraji P. Henson, who this past TV season lorded over Fox’s Empire, will reprise her role as NYPD detective Joss Carter, TVGuide.com reports.

Of course, Carter was famously and fatally gunned down in a November 2013 episode, so Henson will be appearing in new flashbacks, as Reese works a cold case left unsolved by his onetime cohort-of-sorts.

Flashback or not, do you look forward to seeing Henson back in her old, less-flashy role?

1. Spoiler Junkie says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Carter. She will always be my favorite lady on POI.

2. sanchopanza says:

I kinda wish they wouldn’t do this. It’ll just stir up the frantic shippers that keep believing she could come back for real.

3. immanu says:

Taraji’s great but interestingly enough I never cared for Carter and I’m getting kind of bored of the Reese centric episodes.

4. Jean Pennie says:

Yes. Will love to see Carter again, if only for one episode.

5. stefystef says:

They should have never killed her off. They could have transferred her or had her “disappear” or something like that. Instead, they are kinda going “Dallas” with this and that’s not fair to the actors. But is in nice to see Taraji back.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Not unusual for POI to have old and or dead characters appear in flashbacks.

• dioxinblues says:

Brett Cullen’s entire POI appearances can attest to that.

• ScrubsGuy says:

Just an FYI, the ads on the other network sites with TVLine stories is showing a picture of Carter with the text “[SPOILER] to Return!” – so, hmm…I guess there’s not really much you could do about that. Good thing I saw the story here first.

• Normandy says:

TV Line doesn’t care about spoiling you, despite labeling stories with “spoiler.” The click bait is more important to them. Otherwise they wouldn’t name the page “Taraji P. Henson Returns as Cater for Flashbacks.” They’ve been doing this for years.

• Mandy Reynolds says:

What are you talking about? “Otherwise they wouldn’t name the page “Taraji P. Henson Returns as Cater for Flashbacks.” They’ve been doing this for years.” I only see that strange statement in your comment. And her character’s name was Carter, not Cater. SMH

6. lessthanrighteousindignation says:

I was angry at her when she left of her own accord, so this stirs that up again and detracts from the wonderful work of the Shaw and Root characters.

• abz says:

I was upset too when she left, but if she hadn’t left we would never have witnessed the awesomeness that is Cookie Lyon on Empire, so I’m good with that decision.

• Mira says:

She didn’t have a choice. Her contract was for two season. They wrote the scenario that way.The fact that people were so sad , mad , taken back ( call it what you want) that she got kill is the proof that she played her role really well. Maybe too well.

• ? says:

No, she chose to leave. Which is fine. She wasn’t looking for more than a three season commitment at that time for whatever personal reasons she had and the writers, knowing that, wrote her out in the middle of the third season rather than the end so her exit wouldn’t be predictable.

• Sorce says:

Honestly, it was my understanding that Taraji’s contract was only for 2 seasons and she was willing to stay on for as long as they wanted her. They no longer wanted her. I don’t see how her presence detracts from Shaw and/or Root. She had her place on the show. Nothing wrong with revisiting that place a little bit.

7. johanson says:

nice!

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Having to lose two beloved characters (Carter and Shaw) in respective seasons hasn’t been the same for Person of Interest. Great to see Taraji P. Henson back on TV for another prime time series in EMPIRE and her performance as Cookie is 100% Emmy worthy. Don’t know if CBS is thinking about planning a proper “final season” for POI if it gets renewed in a matter of days maybe weeks before the season ends.

• immanu says:

At least Shaw isn’t dead. I hope they kill a male character off next.

• abz says:

I don’t see why the next season need to be considered as the final season. The show is still pretty great and entertaining and one of the more decent shows on TV right now. Plus Shaw isn’t dead and I don’t really want the show to end before they have a chance to bring her back when Sarah Shahi is ready to return to work.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s just something “Tran” does/says when a show isn’t “#1” in the “ratings.”

• Mr. Tran K says:

Sarah Shahi decides to leave the show because of her real life pregnancy.

• abz says:

Yes, I am aware of that. Her character was shown to still be alive, so there is still some hope or at least some sort of intention on the writers part to have the character resurface at some point when Shahi is willing to go back to work.

9. Lizo says:

That’s awesome!!!! I miss her.

10. justsomeguy says:

Fantastic. Looking forward to it.

11. BeaAnn44 says:

Awesome news.

12. AW says:

Love it, love it, love it! I’m looking forward to more flashbacks of Carter now!

13. Deion says:

I. Will. Take. It.

14. abz says:

So excited to see Carter once again and hopefully it’ll make up for the Cookie withdrawal. It’s still so sad they killed her off as I wish she was back in present day but I’ll take what I can get. Now I just hope that Sarah Shahi will agree to return at some point next season.

15. brandy says:

YES! I miss Carter so much!

16. HAP says:

Anyone have an idea as to how many episodes are left this season, and if they are already in the can? Sarah Shahi gave birth to her twins last month. Although I have to say that the primary logistical problem is that Shahi lives in LA and POI is shot in Brooklyn.

17. TV Gord says:

To be completely frank, when I saw Empire, it took me a while to realize that it was the same actress from this show! It was a delightful, “Holy crap on a Snackwell!!!” moment. I’ll be glad to see her back, and I’m anxious to see how the flashbacks play into what’s going on in the show!

As bad as I felt when Taraji left, I’m so happy to see what Cookie has done for her career! Go girl (and welcome back, even it it’s only for one episode).

18. Mira says:

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    CAREESE. Be still my heart. Be still m’y heart.
    I warched POI for carter , Reese, Finch, Fusco, Root ans Elias.
    After, they killed her I watched it for Elias, then Elias slowly disappear , then root and Finch ( honest personality) make me mad.

I am just so happy, to see her again. Honestly, I really want her back on the show.
    I know that when she signed for POI, her character was supposed to be killed after 2 season but she did such an amazing performance.
    Reese and Carter , where so good together on screen.

Truthfully, I still can accept that she is dead. In a tiny part of head, I see Elias or Finch keeping her somewhere.

Please , bring Careese back.

— From a maiden heart—

19. Geo says:

Crossover time! They should have her PLAY Cookie, who comes up as a POI after Lucious tries to get revenge on her from prison. John should keep looking at her and saying “you know, you look strangely familiar.”

20. Barbara Simpson says:

That will be great.

21. I would’ve been “busy” after the way they mistreated my character. That ratings drop was no joke though huh????

• Missy Dee says:

Yes. I agree with you. She could’ve easily declined given how they chose to kill Carter off. The ratings promptly tanked. She has the hottest character on television now. So happy for Taraji. Get that money!

• Normandy says:

Seems like you two aren’t fans of causality, huh?

• Tanked? The ratings for the show are just as good (some weeks better) as they were when she was on. Find a real argument.

• aph1976 says:

I thought i read that Taraji Henson was okay with the show killing off Carter in such a dramatic way.Plus it sounded to me that it was her decision to leave.As POI i think it’ll be great to see the character of Carter again and maybe Reese solving one of her unsolved cases is a sort of closure in a way.

• wild_child says:

Don’t be simple. Of course it wasn’t her decision nor was she happy with leaving she simply repeated the talking points she was given. Taraji was not trying to Mo’Nique her chances of getting more work so she towed the company line and behaved as though she was okay with it even though we all know she very likely wasn’t.

• 20virgo11 says:

Let the church say …. AMEN!

• CaseyM says:

Amen and amen!

• Ugonna Wosu says:

Taraji has said she doesn’t like t.v. Cause they force you to stick to script and not improvise. She was mad at her agent for showing her the Empire script because she didn’t want t.v.. She read it, got interested, then demanded they hire terrence Howard. Luckily for her, the producers there encourage improvisation. So she should be on Empire for years to come a satisfied actress.

• It’s “toe the line”.

• KCC says:

If she was so upset about how POI treated her then I don’t understand why she’s going back for a guess star stint. She’s the star of the most popular new show on TV. She doesn’t have to worry about getting work and take just any job that comes her way now. If she is angry at the show for killing the character, why go back? It sounds like you were more upset about her leaving POI than she was/is.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

What, you don’t believe the psychics who know what Taraji felt but never said, in any interview then or since? Doesnt Taraji strike you as someone who would completely hold her tongue?

22. Sammy says:

Please bring her back

23. Tom says:

Sad it isn’t Shaw but cool it’s her

24. APFW says:

Yeah! I like the idea of the previous poster. It would be hilarious to have Team Machine protect Cookie from the family member’s of the guy she had killed.
    Seriously, it would be great to see her back on POI even if it is for one episode!

25. lizogle1 says:

yes very much so,, She should never have left the show, as she was a main character, and well loved by us fans, Killing off main characters is a way to lose support,, You also left Shaw in the dust as well. I don’t like new characters as much,, and have lost interest in the show some what.

26. bring back shaw instead

27. Rick says:

Great to have her return and help to give the show a little stability for at least one show. Plus it will allow closure for her sudden departure.

28. David Santos says:

“[…] will offer its fans a little cookie […]” — ha!

29. sladewilson says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Man, I miss Carter (but I LOVE me some Cookie, tho – I can’t front)… This is a definite can’t miss episode!!!

30. Cynx says:

I have missed her so much. She became such an important part of the cast – the show is not the same since she left. No longer must see TV.

• MissThing says:

I first tuned in because the chemistry between Carter and Reese was so good. From the moment he met her, there was something about her for him. When she got killed off, I watched to see Reese’s reaction and then I sorta lost interest. I really like the show and its premise, but something about that pairing did it for me.

31. shirlene lapene says:

yes i loved her in that role she good in Empire but in person of interest she was a good woman

32. ron says:

yes, they had the chemistry. don’t forget the kiss !

33. Geneva Hunter says:

AWESOME!!! Thank you POI!! Can’t wait to see Carter!!!

34. Kathy says:

Love Her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Yyyaaaaaahhhhhhhssss!!!

36. 20Virgo11 says:

I used to watch this show until they killed off her character. In the words of Mike Jones “back then they didn’t want me now I’m hot h*** all on me”. Go Taraji !! The best revenge is to live well.:) Love you on Empire, and will gladly wait till next season to see because NOTHING will bring me back to POI.

37. irene says:

hell yeah…I liked her on person of interest

38. CaseyM says:

I’m so pleased to have Carter back, even in flashbacks … but all this wrapping up and redemption and making peace sounds like the death knell for Reese … they’re telegraphing the same way they did when Carter died.

39. Mama Grizzly says:

Wonderful!!

40. Dee says:

YESSSSSSSSS!!!! YEEEEEEEEA CARTER!!!!

41. MissThing says:

OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! POI and John Reese have never been the same for me since she got killed!!

42. Barbara Nance says:

I don’t want her back on this show at all!!! She was hateful about “the kiss” on late night talk shows. She is not all that and I don’t miss her! I never miss this show and I want Shaw to come back safe. I watch TV because I am disabled and on the days I am seeing double , I would not miss a great series like Person of Interest. There is little to enjoy when you are bed reddened but thanks for listening…I would even just listen to this entertaining show.

• Mira says:

She wasnt hateful about the kiss. She explained that they weren’t suppose to kiss ( not written on the scenario) , but when they played , the chemistry was really good and they did kiss. She even made a joke about it. She said and I quote “” I kiss Jesus””.

43. lame says:

I thought the series would die along with Carter, but I was proved wrong. Anytime she can grace POI has to be good. No e if they could touch on that chemistry with Reese.

44. lame says:

I thought the series would die along with Carter, but I was proved wrong. Anytime she can grace POI has to be good. Now if they could touch on that chemistry with Reese.

45. Taylor says:

Can’t wait to see Taraji on POI again! More new scenes next season please. And maybe someone can convince Sarah Shahi to do the occasional scene too? That’d be so great! Also can’t wait to see Taraji on Sat Night Live. Hope those inconsistent writers over there give her some good dialogue to sink her teeth into. And hope to see a POI skit, too (since they’re bound to do an Empire skit). Saturday Taraji, Sunday-Game of Thrones …and Mad Men and The Good Wife and Madam Secretary and VEEP and Outlander and so many others (Freaking Sundays in April are AWESOME! Hell all of April is just plain AWESOME!)! Maybe I’m going a bit overboard here. Nahhhhhhhhhhhh.

46. numbers says:

Not watching taraji Henson the racist actress who alleged not once, but twice, allegations of racial profiling of police involving her son. The last time she ate flat foot leather, because the officer had a camera on him and blew all of her allegations out of the water. It showed that the officer could have charged her son with felonies and given a ticket that could have affected his insurance for a long time. He didn’t. Instead of apologizing after eating crow to the officer she tweeted a 1/2 a $$ statement about mothers being worried. She has played the RACE CARD twice now. I am BOYCOTTING POI.

47. greysfan says:

Awesome news! I was so gutted when they killed her off. That never should have happened.

48. Carter was one of my favorite characters ever!! I look forward to seeing her – even if it’s just a flashback.

49. Bob Collier says:

Glad to hear we can see her again. I really enjoyed her character.