Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS results recap

As the 2015 NCAA Tournament comes to a close this Monday evening, it’s got me thinking about how my Dancing With the Stars Season 20 bracket would have looked, had I filled one out.

Sure, I’d have Nastia Liukin and Derek Hough going to the Final Four, with Rumer Willis and Val Chmerkovskiy following close behind. I’d be a little skeptical of dancers like Charlotte McKinney and Redfoo, who seemed like odd choices for the DWTS roster to begin with.

But there are other competitors about whose futures I would have been very, very wrong, judging by the unpredictability of Season 20’s results shows thus far. Would I have anticipated that Robert Herjavec, of all people, would deliver an emotional and elegant waltz? Would I have even considered that Patti LaBelle and Suzanne Somers would become serious contenders after showing how receptive they can be to criticism? Would I have put Riker Lynch in jeopardy after he and Allison Holker danced the most memorable number of the night just one week prior?

The answers: No, no and hell to the no.

Still, all of these scenarios became a reality by the end of Monday’s Dancing episode, which found the contestants celebrating the most memorable years of their lives. Before we go over the results, here are the highlights from Week 4:

BEST OF THE NIGHT | Willow Shields and pro Mark Ballas (Contemporary) — Boasting the highest score of the season thus far (and just one point shy of a perfect 40), Willow and Mark’s routine was creative, fiery and emotional in a way that didn’t come off as cheesy. I will admit that I’m eagerly awaiting the week when Willow, Mark and/or the judges don’t bring up the 14-year-old competitor’s young age, but that’s a small complaint following a near-perfect routine.

MOST IMPROVED | Michael Sam and pro Peta Murgatroyd (Rumba) — Though Patti LaBelle and Suzanne Somers also made impressive runs for this title on Monday, it ultimately goes to the NFL star, who, at long last, didn’t perform with a pained smile on his face. Michael brought serious skill and remarkable vulnerability to the dance floor, making this week’s performance easily his best yet.

ODDEST SONG CHOICE | Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker (Tango) — Full disclosure: You will not meet a bigger fan of Walk the Moon’s “Shut Up and Dance” than yours truly. I regularly rock out to that song in my kitchen, my car and any public place where it’s playing, much to the chagrin of the people around me. (Sorry, world.) However… the fun, uptempo jam did not pair well with Riker and Allison’s choppy tango, and it showed in both their movements and their facial expressions. From a technical perspective, this duo is consistently one of the best, but I worry that a poor song choice could be its demise.

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson (Rumba) — I feel bad for picking on the former Bachelor, especially after he more than earned his “Comeback Kid” nickname in last week’s routine. In Monday’s rumba, though, it wasn’t until halfway through the number that he finally brought emotional depth and real chemistry to his partnership with Witney — which, in a dance that’s only 90 seconds, was too little, too late. And, while I don’t envy Witney’s weekly task of choreographing for a mediocre partner, she seems to be giving Chris movements that are so simple and limited, he can hardly show off the potential that he does have on the dance floor.

And now, the results:

THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker
Michael Sam and pro Peta Murgatroyd
Willow Shields and pro Mark Ballas

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker
Michael Sam and pro Peta Murgatroyd

ELIMINATED
Michael Sam and pro Peta Murgatroyd

OK, your turn. Should Michael and Peta have gone home? Whose dance was the best of the night? Hit the comments!

1. diane says:

Sad he went home. I liked him. Loved Michael’s song choice (loved Kinky Boots). The bachelor and Suzanne Summers needs to go nest.

• Angela says:

Agreed. I would’ve picked Chris to be the one to go, and then Suzanne, like you said. I liked Michael’s dance tonight, and the meaning behind it. His story was heartbreaking and maddening-I will never, EVER for the life of me understand how a parent can treat their child that way. I hope his father does eventually come around, but if not, then yeah, sometimes you just gotta move on and go live your life and be happy. I wish him well. And on the note of moving dances and stories, Robert’s was very good, too. Very touching.
      Suzanne may not be the best dancer, but her dance was still a cute tribute, and I continue to be impressed by Noah. And agreed that Willow has long ago proven that she doesn’t need the constant references to her age when she goes out and wows the crowd each week. She’s incredibly talented.

2. diane says:

next not nest.

3. Rumer and Willow tie for my favorite. Rumer has proven to be the most consistent, slowly, but surely growing from her top debut.

4. kim in Dallas says:

I am convinced that they share the results prior to airing the show. PETA was money all night. She is not great in hiding the truth.

5. Moria says:

Much as I am not a fan of Chris, disagree with him being worst of the night. That would be Patti – she needs to go now. Unlike really everyone else, there’s no improvement going on, she can not dance, and I’m tired of it. Were they doing patty cakes at one point tonight? It’s that or some hopping or hand jiving or shimmies but no actual ballroom dancing. Her son is right – how about actual steps? Also, I love Suzanne, she doesn’t get enough credit for being only something like 2 years younger than Patti. And I loved Suzanne in her old Chrissie outfit – but her dance made me cringe so hard. How was that an emotional goodbye to John Ritter? So twee and awkward. Lastly, are the three listed in jeopardy ACTUALLY the bottom three? Because I don’t believe at all that Riker and Willow aren’t getting votes. It’s got to be producer manipulation.

• autumndreamer76 says:

Thank you! Patti should’ve gone and then Suzanne. I don’t understand why Patti is still there- she can’t dance. She just needs to keep singing instead.

• ladyj says:

Umm please dont Hate on Patti cause she is doing a great Job!….And dresses better then Suzanne…..Artem is a cutie and is dancing his butt off…..please dont Hate! #teampatti

• autumndreamer76 says:

Not hatin’ on Patti, just statin’ that she can’t dance and should’ve gone home. I love Artem- he’s great – but Patti is not. She’s just walking around.

• Koko Handy says:

You know how when they have the final two couples standing there at the end and one of the hosts says, “while not necessarily the bottom two, one couple is going home …”. So no, F2 and F3 were not necessarily the second and third lowest in votes.

• Petra says:

Yes they do say that, but it’s ridiculous to put two people in the bottom IF they aren’t in the bottom…just for the drama.

• Keith says:

They do it for the drama so viewers will be afraid a top couple is going home

• NJMark says:

I think they recently admitted that “in jeopardy” is for drama. And they don’t actually call them “the bottom three.”

But there’s actually no jeopardy. The votes have been cast and tabulated, and no one
            “in jeopardy” can do anything to change it.

6. Red says:

I was so annoyed with Suzanne saying she was the star of Three’s Company. That was an ensemble show. If anyone was the star it was John Ritter. Plus she never even mentioned Joyce DeWitt. Hope she goes next.

• Susan says:

I was thinking the exact same thing! The star?? Really?!?

• Kim R says:

I was thinking the same thing! She should have said co-star. I think she left the show with not the best feelings between her and the cast. I was embarrassed with the dance routine as well. It felt uncomfortable and kind of exploitive. Maybe it was just me?

• marnie says:

Not just you. That was a maddening rewrite of her history with John Ritter. Trite tears and all. And the dance just showed how we all have outgrown Chrissy.

• NJMark says:

The dance had nothing to do with Joyce. She was talking about her relationship with John. She didn’t mention Larry or the Ropers either! (We also don’t know what was edited out.)

And she certainly was a star. She was never the reason I watched the show (I hated her character), but many people did tune in to see her.

• Bob Backus says:

That’s why she left the show. It was all about her.

7. dancingthelastwaltzinmyheart says:

Robert Herjavec had me sniffling with the story of his most memorable year, but when the strains of the song i fell into my very first crush to started, it was all over. I’m sorry Michael Sam was eliminated, there are others who should have gone before. But as long as Mrs. Herjavec’s boy Robbie is still dancing, i’m happy. OH,and Rumer, too!

8. Edward M says:

Juliannes hair look marvelous tonight. Keep it up & try more glamorous styles.

9. Lauren Jennings says:

DWTS sometimes puts people you wouldn’t expect in jeopardy just for a dramatic effect. Willow and Riker are my two favorites, and probably other people’s as well. I actually think Michael deserved to go, despite his strong performance tonight. I think that Suzanne, then Chris will be the next two to go. And once Patti goes, I think the competition will get really stiff. Can’t wait for that :)

10. never in a million years was a black gay man going to ever get close to winning, regardless of how well he dance. Good Effort Michael!!

11. Koko Handy says:

Hmmm … did the right couple go home this week? I don’t think so. The honor this week could have gone to Chris Soules, Suzanne Somers or Patti LaBelle, because I think Michael was better than any of those three. I’m not sure why he went home; maybe it’s just as simple as not enough people voted to keep him.

12. Audrey Goodon says:

Chrissy Snow (AKA Suzann Sommers) with her thigh master should have gone!

13. Petra says:

I don’t know if it was you, Rebecca, or someone else who at the getgo said Robert Herjavec would probably not be able to hold up too long because of his age, that I watch Shark Tank and know that Robert is very athletic. So I guess he’s doing okay for an “old” man. Not sure how old you are Rebecca if you think he’s old. LOL But anyway…Willow and Mark AND Robert and Kim are my two favorites. For me the show is fun and exciting when celebrities who are not immediately in the forefront…like Nastia and Riker…improve each week and become good dancers. THAT is, IMO, happening with Willow and Robert. I thought this week that Willow’s contemporary piece was astounding (and I dont’ usually like contemporary) and Robert’s waltz was lovely. His story about his mom, was probably the story that made me tear up the most.

I’d love to see someone NEW in the Top 4, rather than those whose pros always get there. Same ol’, same ol’ is boring. Oh and heard behind the scenes was Tony saying to Suzanne…the judges don’t favor him (or some such verbage). Maybe that’s because he gets stuck with older women and can’t be as creative as some of the ones who get younger women who dance better.

14. Meg says:

The hold in Riker’s tango also contributed to the problems with the dance. They were too close. Julianne even pointed that out. Tango hold is different from the rest of ballroom and not having a trained ballroom dancer as the pro showed.

15. Jane says:

Rumer should be getting 10’s…what is wrong with you judges…she is the most talented and graceful dancer…and beautiful…I highly doubt the bullies are even half as beautiful and talented as Rumer…you go girl…

16. johnjward says:

Re: julianne Hough, sheooked like a million $’s with her new attractive hair style & dress, keep it
    Up & lets see some more becoming hair styles.
    The bachelor was a complete flop on the dance floor, he would make a good cop with his flat feet!

17. Jane says:

Karina…you were my favorite female dancer…I always looked forward to watching you…you will be greatly missed…

18. RUCookie says:

NOOOOOO – Michael Sam should have last another week or 2. AND he was impressive this week. The Bachelor really needs to leave the floor; it is painful to watch him “try” to have chemistry because he just got engaged (ugh). Glad that Patti danced this week. And nice to see Chrissy Snow move so emotionally this week… still, I am not a huge fan, rather, I root for Tony!

19. GeneFF says:

What I don’t understand is why Michael Sam’s dance partner is a woman. Shouldn’t they let him dance with another guy? This may have been uncomfortable for him. But why is he considered a star?

• NJMark says:

Why would it be uncomfortable? As a matter of social dancing, I’ve had several lesbian dance partners, none of whom were uncomfortable about it.

• autumndreamer76 says:

Why wouldn’t he dance with a woman? That’s what every other pair is. Ever notice where a woman dances in a certain way to catch the eye while the man is the support? How can you do that with two men? And why should there be a change just because he’s gay? He’s much more of a star, IMO, than Rumor Willis, who is simply the DAUGHTER of two stars.

20. Bob Backus says:

Patti is the worst, and should have gone! If she wasn’t an “icon” she’d get nowhere near the scores or praises she does. She “danced” better this week, but it really was just faster walking. Time for her to go, right after “It’s all about me” Suzanne.

21. sharon porter says:

Our disabled veteran is phenomenal but he should have never been chosen to be in a cast that is competing for best dancing skills. He is someone that our nation should be proud of and respected but he shouldn’t be competing with able bodied contestants.

22. Sue says:

If it was up to me, Michael Sam would still be in. Suzanne Somers or Chris Soules should have gone. It might not make much difference but since DWTS has gone to the one day show and someone is voted out on Monday, the dance that evening doesn’t count at all. I would like to see it added to their score so it counts.

23. tiger says:

The Bachelor should be gone!!

24. Lee says:

Sams was great, sorry he got voted off, I wonder if it had something to do with his being gay that he didn’t get enough votes to stay on.