Exclusive

Criminal Minds Video: Gary Sinise and Anna Gunn Introduce Spinoff Team

Loading video...

CBS’ Criminal Minds this Wednesday will introduce you to a whole new, globe-trotting BAU — and TVLine has an exclusive video previewing the planted spinoff.

In the episode “Beyond Borders” (which likely would be the offshoot’s suffix), International Unit Chief Jack Garrett (played by CSI: NY vet Gary Sinise) seeks an assist from Hotch’s team when the abduction of a family in Barbados dovetails with a case the Stateside BAU once worked. Rounding out Garrett’s team are Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn (as international law expert Lily Lambert), Daniel Henney (Hawaii Five-0) as Special Ops Agent Matthew Simmons and Tyler James Williams (The Walking Dead) as tech guru Russ “Monty” Montgomery.

Press play above to learn more about the potential spinoff from Sinise, Gunn, Henney and Williams, Criminal Minds showrunner Erica Messer (who penned this week’s episode), and cast from the original series.

1. JC says:

CBS doesn’t need another CM. Sigh.

• Tahina says:

I agree, but they want, I think, another CSI type franchise ..and I’m also glad to see Gary Sinise, and Anna Gunn together, no less!

• Margarette says:

I agree. Can not get enough of these shows. I’ll take Drama over sitcom or reality any day! Please please give Gary a new series to be on! We miss him on TV so much!

• prish says:

You’re right about not needing another CM, however, we do need more Sinise. Hopefully, it will be less yucky and gruesome and bleak.

• Maryann says:

This is the issue for me. The “gruesome and bleak” part. I don’t watch Criminal Minds for this reason, but will check out the spinoff episode now and the new series if it makes it to fall. It will be really disappointing if it is as too dark to watch. I really miss CSI: NY and hope the new show will have more the tone of that than of Criminal Minds.

2. Larc says:

Happy that Gary Sinise is coming back for another series.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Gary Sinise’s new Criminal Minds gig is going to bounce back after an amazing nine year run on CSI: NY. As does Anna Gunn who was so great on Breaking Bad (one of my top 10 favorite dramas of all time) but this could be a big bounce back for the Emmy winning actress since the cancellation of Gracepoint (Fox).

3. Mr. Tran K says:

What are the chances the Criminal Minds spin-off gets picked up as a series for CBS?

4. Boston2AZ says:

Wasn’t this already done a couple of years ago as Crossing Lines with William Fitcher?

5. Criminal Minds is my favorite show, and I adore Gary Sinise, but I really don’t like the premise of a Criminal Minds overseas team.

6. Because calling it Crossing Borders would be lame :P

7. LaShawna says:

I am hoping this one is better than “The Fight”, their last attempt at a spinoff. That one sucked, whereas this one looks like it has potential.

8. Mark says:

Erica Messer wrote this episode already turned off she is all that’s wrong with CM at the moment

9. Fido says:

I’ll give it a go, with my fingers crossed that when it comes to giving the profile it isn’t said one sentence per team member, which I find most irritating.

10. SKS says:

CM is my favorite show and I don’t think it gets old because of the way its done. I sincerely hope this is successful. Didn’t care for the CM: Suspect Behavior.

11. KC says:

LOVE Gary Sinise – he’s the only thing that will make this show watchable!

12. The Rookie says:

I hope this does not cost us cast members again! Last time we lost Paget and AJ for costs related to Suspect Behavior. Matt, do you have any info on cast contracts for season 11? Gracias

• Christy says:

I know you didn’t ask me lol but if I’m not mistaken it should be the following actors up for renewel.
      Thomas Gibson, A.J. Cook, Shemar Moore, Kirsten Vangsness and Joe Mantegna. Not positive.

13. Desiree says:

Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior- Staring Forest Whitacare did not even get a full season

• prish says:

That one almost had me on board…Loved Forest Whitaker…then they pulled it before I could stop watching it. It looked like it was going to be less yucky, gruesome and bleak. Too bad it didn’t continue for the year.

14. bj says:

Gary Sinise, ’nuff said. I’m in.

15. Two things: 1) Wish Senise had a beard in this to differentiate him from this CSI character. 2) Sine most of the cases will involving killing, they could have callled it Criminal Minds: Murders WIthout Borders.

• prish says:

My husband would enjoy Sinise looking the same as on csi-ny, since he loved that show. just a fyi for the suits, upstairs.

16. Janel says:

Cannot wait to see this show. I love CM and I am sure I will love this one, too. Even though there is no Shemar :) I have missed CSI: NY greatly, so it will be awesome to see Gary Sinise on tv again. Though, it won’t be the same without the other CSI:NY characters.

17. Carol Woods says:

when can we see this in Australia

18. D COOK says:

Cant wait for spin off, Gary Sinise is one of my favorite actors…

19. Angela says:

Looking forward to this. Here’s hoping this go-round does turn out better than the last spin-off attempt did. And even if it doesn’t, well, still sounds like an interesting idea for an episode anyway.

20. Patti says:

I Love it, Finally a bigger BAU!

21. donna says:

wont be seeing it in central ny..we only have 1 cbs network and they have basketball,on again,we missed all the shows for 3 weeks,and no plan to air them..it sucks

22. I hope they do make a spin off with Gary sinise!!!

23. I want the regular CM, not some spin-off. What happens to all the other actors from Criminal Minds, like Joe Montagna, A.J., Shemar Moore and Hodgner? This bites.. I want to watch the one we are used to seeing with the same actors.

• So, where does Shemar Moore go to and what about the other actors? I will stop watching it.

• Angela says:

…um…you CAN still watch the one you’re used to seeing, because it’s still running. We’ll still see the regular BAU team in the episode this coming Wednesday-they’re working alongside the team that will be in this proposed spin-off, they won’t be shoved aside for the length of that episode so as to focus on the other team.
      I’m not sure what your complaint is here.

• tannerose5 says:

Thomas Gibson, Shermar Moore and Matthew Gray Gubler’s contracts all expire after season 10. That’s where the complaint is. I hope TPTB pay these guys what they are worth. As much as I can’t wait to see Gary Sinise back on TV, they better not let the original one die.

• Angela says:

The way their post made it sound, it seemed like they thought bringing these new people on board for this episode somehow meant the original cast was all disappearing altogether or wouldn’t be part of the episode at all or something, and I was just saying that’s not going to be the case. Unless I misread it and they were meaning it the way you interpreted it, too, which could be possible.
          I will continue to hope that all goes well with contract negotiations for the original cast, but I’m optimistic we’ll see everybody back next season :). I don’t know how many more seasons this show plans to go, but I imagine that at this point in the show’s run, those who’ve been on the show pretty much since the beginning will likely be willing to stay around to the end. Like I said, I’ll keep fingers crossed anyway, so as not to jinx anything and all that, but I’m also thinking positively about it all.

24. Helen Kobs says:

I can’t wait to see the new criminal minds with Gary sense on Wednesday I sure did miss him

25. matty says:

I want to watch this, but not with Gary Sinise on it. The man is a raging homophobic.

• tannerose5 says:

Well, he’s married, with three children. He tries to aid the military. Those are positives in his life. I don’t think he cares what you think.
      I’m going to give his show a try. It has to be better than Suspect Behavior. It sure couldn’t be worse.

26. Maria Sayer says:

Great news! Looking forward to the premier episode of the new show. But also disappointed that the last spinoff didn’t succeed. Love that show. I am a “Criminal Minds” fanatic.

27. kearneysm2 says:

I am looking forward to this. I love Gary Sinise. I just wish it was Strauss instead of Cruez

28. cheryl says:

So looking forward to it !!!!!!

29. sam says:

Can’t wait to see it.love the cast.i hope they don’t pull the plug to soon.they do that with alot of good show !!!

30. Sandra Manney says:

Sounds awesome! When?
    Love Gary Sinise!

31. WHAT HAPPEN TO MORGAN ?

32. Peggy Faust says:

I’m sure it’s gonna be good but lately I’ve been disappointed in criminal minds cause it’s never had a ransom case I like the scary ones cause that’s what the show was and that’s why I like it but I don’t like ransom case no thrills in that so I think at 2 episodes were Yuck

33. Peggy Faust says:

34. Peggy Faust says:

35. Mary Anne says:

I watch Criminal Minds more for the relationship between the characters. Not sure I would want to invest time with a spin off.

36. Robby says:

So the show only revolves around americans getting kidnapped abroad not murdered? That doesn’t seem like criminal minds to me,

37. Can’t wait for this to start. Love Gary Sinise.

38. Vera says:

I’m sure that I’m going to watch this because I am a big CITY and Criminal Minds fans. I just simply hated it when CSI:Miami and CSI:NY were taken off. Looking forward to seeing this. I’m a big Gary Sinise fan.

39. Nikki F says:

i wish they would bring back Prentiss in some way or maybe some of the interesting characters from the failed spin-off Suspect Behaviour. Seriously what happened at the end of series 1 of that show

40. Denise Miller says:

I love the criminal minds shows. And I loved watching csi ;ny . I think Gary Sence is a great actor so are the other people that play on criminal minds

41. LaToya 'Lynda' Ann Johnson says:

😃I can’t wait for the series to start. I’m a big fan of Criminal Minds & Criminal Minds ‘Suspect Behavior’. So I’m looking forward to this one. When does it premiere? 😃

42. Gloria says:

Glad they our having new CSI cant wait

43. Roseli Lima says:

CBS to be smarter. Renew the contract of the actors of Criminal Minds.

44. bob king says:

COOL

45. Cj morrison says:

Love this, hottest cast on the air! Watching now on the edge of my seat! I love a great thriller thanks you guys are on🔥

46. Cj morrison says:

I love this, hottest cast on tv, I’m on the edge of my seat, great thriller, thanks, you guys are on 🔥

47. CC says:

Sinise + Gunn = good TV watching.

48. Emily says:

I love Criminal Minds and have been a loyal watcher since the beginning! I also love the new Stalker spinoff and of course Gary Sinise!

Signed,