Muppet Show Reboot From Big Bang EP In Development at ABC

Muppet Show Reboot

Don’t tell Miss Piggy, but Kermit is getting back together with his first love — television.

TVLine has learned that ABC is developing a reboot of The Muppet Show, with Big Bang Theory co-creator Bill Prady co-writing and exec-producing.

The network is slated to shoot a pilot presentation later this month under the working title Muppets 2015. Details of the plot are sketchy, but TVLine has obtained the following logline: “The Muppets excitedly gather at ABC for a meeting about the new Muppet Show. However, the show will not move forward unless Miss Piggy signs on.”

This isn’t Prady’s first brush with the Muppet-verse. He previously worked on Muppet Classic Theater and The Jim Henson Hour, as well as other Muppet specials.

Bob Kushell (Anger Management) will serve as show runner, EP and co-writer.

The original, syndicated Muppet Show aired from 1976 to 1981. ABC revived the franchise in 1996 with Muppets Tonight, but the series was cancelled after 10 episodes.

What do you think? Is it time to play the music? Is it time to light the lights? Is it time to once again meet the Muppets on the small screen?

1. Ro says:

Wakka Wakka Wakka!

2. As much as I love The Muppets, it’s already been rebooted once and was cancelled… What in the world makes them think it’s a good idea to bring it back AGAIN? And yet again, it shows Hollywood has run out of original ideas. *sigh*

3. The 21st Century turned into the 80’s so gradually that I barely noticed…

4. Gary Hebert says:

better than making another movie.

5. NJMark says:

It’s time to play the music.

6. Me says:

Please, please, pretty please, ABC! This would be so very awesome!!

7. Leslee says:

The original Muppet Show was epic! I think a reboot is good as long as they more closely follow the original formula. You don’t need to tweak perfection!

8. iHeart says:

Finally a revival I actually want to see

9. Linda says:

I’m a 60 plus African-American woman who cannot wait for the reboot of The Muppet Show! My 40 something daughter and I watched the original tv show religiously when it was syndicated in the late 70’s-early 80’s and we were sad when it was cancelled. The Muppet movies have “sustained” us but now with this announcement we can look forward to seeing them every week! Our favorites: Miss Piggy, Animal and the rest of the band, and, of course, the 2 older gentlemen giving their on-going judgments. What could be more fun???

10. herman1959 says:

I’d watch this since there aren’t a lot of purely “fun” shows on now, and they could have some good guest-stars. Plus, it would be something that the family could watch together.

11. Jess says:

My kids and I would love this. Muppets are awesome. I hope this works out. Muppets are good wholesome fun for the whole family. My family for one will be watching them.

12. a) This is only a good idea if they don’t try too hard to “modernize” the “The Muppet Show” within the show. The original format worked – for comedians, ballet dancers, hard rockers and the cast of Star Wars.

b) Give them a chance to host the Oscars! They are capable of presenting the subtle mix of humour, grace, and showmanship that the show needs!

13. David4 says:

Next week’s news: Development on Cheers: The Next Generation will start at NBC, also on NBC’s plan for Throwback Thursday is ‘More Friends’ about a group of 8 friends who all live together in the same apartment as Friends.

14. Jeri says:

I love the Muppets especially Kermie I can’t wait to see it again, I watched all the other Muppet shows Yes it is time to light the lights and play the music

15. MelindaB says:

I’m withholding judgment for now, because I wasn’t terribly thrilled with the first of the recent movies (and haven’t even seen the second.) I would love for this to be successful, though, as I was a faithful viewer of the original Muppet Show, and even watched Muppets Tonight.

16. ravenbiker says:

There just seems to be something missing and has been missing since Jim Henson died. Between that and the fact that The Muppet Show was basically like a variety show and those don’t do well anymore like they did in the 70s, their heyday, I have the feeling that if it makes it to air, it will not last long.

17. matty says:

I am a 33 year old man, but I am excited about this… The Muppets are always fun! especially when Ms. Piggy is around!

18. Matt says:

I’m cautiously optimistic, but I also remember how this went the last time they tried it with Muppets Tonight.

19. Jerry says:

The only way I’d watch is on DVD.

20. grinchy says:

that’s nice for thekids, but I hope it doesn’t replace Last Man standing. That’s such a wonderful show — excellent writing and performances and very funny and nicely topical with good lessons (disguised knhumor — not preachy

• Chris Stulz says:

For the kids? The Muppets are for everyone. I watched the original as a kid, and still enjoy it 35 years later! The jokes are timeless, corny, and still funny! Many of the jokes are purposely meant to fly over kid’s heads and be enjoyed by adults.