Ratings: New Girl, NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D. Tie Lows; Weird Loners Has Few Friends

New Girl Ratings

Fox’s New Girl returned on Tuesday night to 2.3 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating, down 8 and 23 percent from its most recent outing and tying a series low in the demo.

Leading out of that, Weird Loners premiered to 1.9 mil and a 0.7, down 10 percent and two tenths from Mindy Project‘s week-ago finale. TVLine readers gave the new comedy an average grade of “C+.”

Opening Fox’s night, Hell’s Kitchen (3.4 mil/1.2) was steady.

Elsewhere….

CBS | NCIS (16.3 mil/2.1) dipped a tenth in the demo, tying its series low. The Dovekeepers debuted to 9 mil and a 1.0, off 25 and 40 percent from what NCIS: New Orleans/Person of Interest averaged last week.

ABC | Fresh Off the Boat (4.8 mil/1.3), Repeat After Me (3.4 mil/0.9) and Agents of SHIELD (4.2 mil/1.4) each dipped a tenth, with the latter tying its series low in the demo. Forever (4.5 mil/1.0) ticked up a tenth.

THE CW | The Flash (3.5 mil/1.2) and iZombie (1.9 mil/0.7) were steady in the demo.

NBC | Leading out of a Voice clip show (8.4 mil/1.9), Undateable (5.1 mil/1.4) only dipped a tenth, while One Big Happy (4 mil/1.2) was steady.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

I have a feeling Weird Loners may get no more than two episodes tops but let’s hope Fox renews Mindy Project for another season now that New Girl already got one.

2. Ben says:

Although just 6 episodes, I wouldn’t be surprised if Weird Loners was pulled from the schedule after episode 2 if it goes even lower next week.

3. Agents of SHIELD is too good to keep getting low ratings.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Last night — especially that final scene — was awesome.

• Gerald says:

LOVED the tie in with Winter Soldier with the flashbacks to “The Day Shield Fell” It can’t really be a bubble show, I am always thinking it will be fine when they add in the day after numbers.

• Iakovos says:

Is it a time slot thing for AGENTS that keeps it from soaring? When do superhero fans watch TV? Surely marketing mavens in the webs’ corporate offices know such things. But then again, when it comes to broadcast TV and the decisions made, I am not sure of anything.

• Nick says:

I really think that people gave up in the first ten episodes and have never gone back. Despite the incredible increase in quality!

• Badpenny says:

I think the story line, while interesting, has been a bit of a downer. SHIELD destroyed due to Winter Solder. Now we find out that Coulson’s SHIELD isn’t really even the “real” SHIELD – as the other SHIELD is much more organized and professional while Coulson’s seems more like a gang. Then you have Skye hating/fearing her powers when most people in the Marvel Universe would give anything to have powers. Spider-man had to learn with great power comes great responsibility, but he enjoyed his powers.
            There is nothing in the series which makes me feel hopeful. I don’t turn on the TV every week thinking “what cool thing is Coulson going to do today?” I usually tune in thinking “I wonder what’s going to go wrong this week.” I really don’t want that feeling from things I am supposed to enjoy and treat as entertainment.

• Christina says:

@Badpenny – I literally could not agree more. I was kind of hoping it would be an upbeat show, but this season has been anything but. I miss FitzSimmons, I miss fun Coulson, and I just miss the levity. It’s still a great show, but I’d like it a whole lot more if the team wasn’t constantly in the middle of a sh*tstorm.

• Robert Dassler says:

@Badpenny
            They tried being light and frothy in the first season. Everybody complained and then stopped watching. I love where AoS is right now and I hope that it continues down the path it has set itself on.

• Gern Blanston says:

I love the show but, my wife quit because it often seems to her that they are just treading water storywise waiting for the next Marvel movie to come out so that they can proceed with their own story. That was how season 1 played out and this season at times seems like they are doing the same thing.

• Robert Dassler says:

That’s a viewer problem not a show problem. I wish that people would stop being so transfixed on the movie side and enjoy the ride. Whenever I see complaints like this I just see Milhouse from The Simpsons wailing, “When are we going to get to the fireworks factory?” in the Poochie episode.

• Ty says:

I think it’s more that they are not watching tv with commercials…. no need to say more. But being able to just wait a few hours and get a higher quality than broadcast with the commercials stripped out is more enticing to people “in the demo”

networks really need to find non commercial ways to monetize their content, I’d pay for a hulu type service if they let me stream commercial free versions of the shows I Want to watch, or don’t do that and get NO revenue from m… I mean others.

• rawley says:

Well the first season was horrendous. I watched most of it and had to stop. They’re never, ever going to get back those viewers they lost. Myself included.

• murley says:

I agree. It has been so consistently good all season. Tuesday is such a busy night for television. Maybe they will renew it and move it to Sunday to replace either Ressurection or Revenge (as it seems at least one of those isn’t coming back) and put its Disney properties together? I don’t care where or when it ends up as long as it comes back!

4. Allee says:

Wow, after I’d practically memorized that Weird Loners promo from seeing it so often. Expect to see Mindy or Brooklyn Nine-Nine reruns at 9:30 Tuesdays (and a renewal for Mindy, please).

5. Erika says:

Fresh of the Boat will be canceled and will be dead because of low ratings.Its daytime saving time course once again. R.I.P. Fresh of the Boat.

• Ben says:

I don’t think it’s dead yet. It has literally no lead-in support. To get this type of ratings is not that bad. Yes, it could do better but I believe ABC will give this another chance.

• Mary says:

I don’t watch but I thought it was doing ok and its critically acclaimed isn’t it? I haven’t heard a bad thing about the show, I’m just not home from work to see it. I could see it making if another season. It has been far more successful then there other Tuesday launches

6. BeaAnn44 says:

I am interested in Weird Loners. I didn’t know it was premiering last night. I will have to catch it on demand.

7. Eric7740 says:

I think FOX and NBC should just give up on the sitcom business and leave the sitcom’s to CBS and ABC.

• Nick says:

Undateable is hilarious. Not to mention NBC has still had some of the greatest comedies of the past decade, like The Office and Parks and Rec. I don’t think CBS comedies are very funny.

• Eric7740 says:

The sitcom’s might be great, but no one is watching them unfortunately, they are/were bringing in a fraction of the numbers of the sitcoms on ABC and CBS.

• Nick says:

I wouldn’t say “no-one”. There’s still several million people. And Undateable just outperformed Fresh Off The Boat…so I’m not sure your argument is valid.

• Eric7740 says:

Not trying to argue, just stating simple numerical facts, and thats one NBC sitcom to barely outperform one over on ABC, honestly how often does that happen???

8. Jimmy says:

Such a great episode of S.H.E.I.L.D. last night, and I even got my Lucy Lawless fix. Still annoyed they killed her character so quickly.

9. njartist says:

CBS should have programmed Dove Keepers for Saturday night . Instead they cancel for
    the week two great programs, NCLIS NOLA & POI. Really some stupid decision making.
    Why because “Ziva” was in the Dove Keepers? CBS has nothing on Saturday nights until 48 hours . Again a really stupid decision same brain trusts who interrupt the flow of the season
    with reruns instead of adding an episode or two to the total episodes. Idiots!!!!

10. ninamags says:

The NCIS episode was great! Each part of the team had amazing moments. All the happy vibes at the end of this episode only means doom and gloom and tragedy is surely to come for some of these guys as the season wraps up.

11. Carol Covill says:

Why can’t NCIS bring back agent Cassidy.? At least she has a personality and is a great foil for DiNozzo. I hardly watch the show anymore; to boring.

12. eric says:

Did thrthe CW really just beat FOX in both total viewers and demos for the night?
    WOW!
    I mean The Flash and iZombie has been great so far but wow! That is embarassing for FOX.

13. BrianR says:

It seems every show is down so what are people watching?……Nothing I assume because I watch SHIELD live every week.

14. Katie says:

It’s probably too little too late, but at least Forever went up and not down!

15. Joshua Gibbons says:

Weird Loners is a great show and I couldn’t stop laughing during it. I Hope it sticks around because it is quite funny and unique.