New Girl Renewed for Season 5 at Fox as John Cho Joins Guest Cast

New Girl Season 5

New Girl, old/familiar story: Jess & Co. are returning for another season.

Fox has renewed the Zooey Deschanel comedy for a fifth season, TVLine has learned.

Oddly enough, the pickup comes as work on Season 5 is already underway. The show remained in production after wrapping Season 4 in order to get a jump on Season 5 ahead of Deschanel’s maternity leave (the actress’ pregnancy is not being incorporated into the show).

Meanwhile, TVLine has exclusively learned that at least one (but likely more) of those Season 5 episodes will feature a guest turn by John Cho. The Selfie and Sleepy Hollow vet will play a guy Jess meets when she excitedly reports for Jury Duty. SNL‘s Taran Killam is also set to guest star, as we reported last week.

“Four seasons in, New Girl continues to be one of the smartest and most relatable comedies on television,” said Fox entertainment president David Madden. “The writing is razor-sharp, the ensemble is consistently hilarious, and we couldn’t be more proud of… the entire New Girl team. We absolutely love this show and we’re so excited to bring it back for Season Five.”

Fun fact free of charge: The series will celebrate its landmark 100th episode during Season 5.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Steven says:

I just realized both Zooey and Emily are pregnant at the same time. Congrats to both of them!

• Maggie says:

You just made me realize that, too! Yay, them!

And I’m pro-John Cho in anything. Talented and smokin’ hot to boot.

• Sarah T says:

You just made realize that too! Congrats to both of them. As far as renewal goes-I’m “meh”. To me, the show hasn’t been that great since season 2. As others have said, the characters really aren’t progressing anymore, they’re just kind of dumb. Though if John Cho is going to be on, I’ll definitely tune into season 5. I was one that secretly hoped Fox would pick up Selfie and air it on Tuesday nights with The Mindy Project. Now I’m crossing my fingers that Fox renews TMP too.

• DL says:

See, I actually think the show has been really on its game this past season. It dipped in season three, for sure, but a lot of the recent episodes have really felt like the show has its mojo back. Glad to hear it’s coming back, and John Cho is always a plus in my book. Any chance he could turn out to be another member of the mysterious Tran’s family? I’m still kinda sad things ended between Nick and Kai. They were actually perfect together.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope John Cho is going to save New Girl.

3. Dude says:

If they renew New Girl, they have to renew Mindy Project!

• Steven says:

Mindy will get renewed and likely air 2 episodes a night on Fridays like Raising Hope in order to get enough episodes for Syndication.

• I second that! Mindy is my favorite. I’ve grown a little weary of New Girl’s repetitive nature.

• Jack says:

Does MP score the same ratings as NG? If so, then it will probably get renewed. If not, then ya never know. Its about ratings.

• tmpfan says:

From your mouth to Fox executives’ ears!

• S. says:

If they don’t renew The Mindy Project, I may or may not have the energy to pay attention to New Girl. I kept watching it because I was already gonna tune into Mindy. Thankfully it got better after that hot mess of a previous season, but I don’t have to keep up with it on a weekly basis if it’s floating out there alone on the night. TMP on the other hand has always been funny and just got better. I always tune in live for it. Stop wasting my time Fox or I might forget to give you any of it.

• Catalina says:

It’s sad that I know this but apparently since NBC Universal owns Mindy, not Fox, then Fox doesn’t really care about syndication and so it doesn’t really have the same incentive to renew. It’s sad too because all this could be said about TMP ten-fold:

“Four seasons in, New Girl continues to be one of the smartest and most relatable comedies on television,” said Fox entertainment president David Madden. “The writing is razor-sharp, the ensemble is consistently hilarious, and we couldn’t be more proud of… the entire New Girl team. We absolutely love this show and we’re so excited to bring it back for Season Five.”

4. Annie says:

Hopefully this will be good for Cho. Selfie was great and didn’t deserve its cancellatiom

5. Julia says:

Excited for this and I think John Cho will be a great addition. Nervously waiting for Mindy…

6. Lauren says:

This is all fine but I NEED The MIndy Project to come back!

7. Michael says:

How dare you Fox for not yet renewing The Mindy Project?

8. Dean says:

Fox where comedy renewal standards are low.

9. Ron says:

I’ll continue what everyone else has already said: I’m content and satisfied with this renewal (and John Cho!), but I NEED a Mindy Project renewal. Not want, need! And if TPTB over at Fox decide to cancel Mindy, I’m gonna need another network to jump on that shizz immediately. That season 3 finale just can’t be a series finale, it can’t.

10. Siria Love says:

I’m so happy :D Thank you FOX

11. Annoying Stacy says:

They renewed this awful show, but Mindy is on the bubble… I like John Cho… but hopefully after his episode airs they Cxl this garbage

12. kmw says:

This really isn’t surprising news because they have been filming scenes to work around Zooey Deschanel’s pregnancy, but it is good news. At this rate Mindy Project and Bones will be the last shows to be renewed. It seems the show has gotten a little bit better this season, at least creatively, but maybe FOX will move them to a different night

13. RP says:

I love John Cho, but disappointed in the constant recycling of plots on this show. It’s really NOT “razor sharp and relatable” anymore. The characters have been going in circles for 2 full seasons now. They were so rich and “real” the first two seasons, then they decided to just make them joke machines. Not sure it can be salvaged at this point. I think I’ll pass on Season 5.

14. Liz says:

Yay! I hope we’ll still see Coach at least a little next year! I do miss Winston though, he really hasn’t gotten a lot of screen time this year and he really is entertaining. I’m very happy!

15. Nick says:

I don’t know what’s wrong with people but this show is hilarious. It makes me laugh out loud every week!

• Jack says:

Dont listen to the haters. Most of them probably dont even watch it.

• Rachel says:

I agree with the both of you, Nick and Jack. I love New Girl, and am so excited to see it renewed! My friends and I absolutely love it.

Every New Girl thread is always flooded by Mindy Project fans being incredibly negative. Doesn’t exactly make me want to watch their show…

The success of one helps the other more than it hurts it.

• Joy says:

I know right, and it’s funny they hate on New Girl when TMP is just mediocre and if it’s canceled it will not be a total surprise.

• Gern Blanston says:

You’re nuts. I like both shows but, The Mindy Project is the superior show. It’s better written. More consistent with it’s characters. Better stories. That doesn’t make New Girl bad or unenjoyable. But, calling The MIndy Project mediocre is pretty ridiculous.

• dman6015 says:

Mindy is very mediocre. She’s not funny. Didn’t like her on The Office, either.

• Mary says:

I find the writing and the supporting cast pretty good I just can’t stans Zooey. I have tried because I love the mindy project and brooklyn 99 and last year it was convent to watch but I just can’t get past my dislike of Zooey.

However, the show isn’t bad when it comes to writing and it’s supporting casts talent.

16. davido says:

Smart and relatable? More like cringe and not funny for the entire season. Fox is desperate.

17. grace says:

John cho!!! SO AWASOME

18. erika says:

R.I.P. The Mindy Project

19. KC says:

What a dumb decision

20. Marcie says:

Now renew Mindy!

21. A fan of TV says:

What I’ve come to dislike about New Girl is what feels like a lack of real progression in the stories or the characters. Watching now feels like characters who’ve grown have been unnaturally regressed for the sake of laughs that bring season one jokes to the forefront. That doesn’t feel particularly smart to me… The Mindy Project blows New Girl out of the water in terms of remaining funny and also progressing character and story development forward, and I dearly miss New Girl’s lost brilliance. Its still funny, I just don’t care.

22. Kristina says:

Ooh I LOVE John Cho! I’ll look forward to seeing him.

23. James says:

Um…is it safe to let John Cho guest star? Do they not want a Season 6?

24. kmw says:

Mindy could still get renewed, but difference between them and New Girl is that FOX owns New Girl. It is easier to renew a show you own as opposed to having to make a deal with a different production company, despite the fact that neither show is burning up the ratings. FOX has lots of problems(except for Empire) so I still think they will keep it

25. Veronica says:

Now renew Mindy!

26. Ray says:

And what of Mindala Kuhel Lahiri?

27. Wow.. this is really cool.. I can’t wait for this series to get back in the air.. Congrats Zooey & Emily!

28. Ali says:

Renew Mindy! It has substantially similar ratings (except the last 3 episodes which aired after a rerun of New Girl w/ no promo to let you know it was a new episode of Mindy) and in terms of critical acclaim, there is no comparison. Mindy is so much better

29. Boiler says:

Great news.

30. Jim J. says:

I think that since the pregnancy of Zooey Deschanel is not being incorporated into the sitcom, I think “New Girl”‘s season 5 is going to end up being shortened and held off until midseason.

• Gern Blanston says:

They’re already filming new episodes so that they can start the season on time, she can have her kid, and then she can come back and start filming the second half of the season. That’s the plan last I heard anyway.

31. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show got renewed. This season been better then season 3. Good news John Cho will be on the show next season!

32. DQ says:

Kinda upset that John Cho is coming in just to play another long term romantic partner for Jess just like Ryan. I like Cho but Taran Killam is gonna play another guy she hopelessly dates as well, not that I have any problem with him either. It is just the fact that all of Jess’s story lines are based around her dating all these different guys throughout season 4 and now season 5. They have really made their main female character so non-relatable. Who dates that much!? Her character still is so distant from Nick’s and it doesn’t look like the writers are planning on fixing that anytime soon. It is obvious they are endgame but the writers are drawing it out too much and it’s becoming bothersome to watch two (former) best friends ignore that they were ever even together. Also Nick’s character has become so immature lately. No one seems to be growing anymore. They’ve all just become mid-thirty year-olds who are just as lost as they were when the show started. I miss the depth this show used to convey, now everything is just for comedy’s sake.

33. VB says:

Great news! The show has been great this season. Looking forward to tonight’s episode. Also, the Schmece is great and I’mma miss Coach. Love Cho too. :)

34. Moria says:

While I LOVE Mindy Project and watched from day 1, and am only a recent convert to New Girl, they are not exactly comparable like some say here when it comes to renewal. They don’t get the exact same ratings: MP’s season average was just 1.05 this year in 18-49 with 2.31 mil viewers, while NG so far has a 1.38 average with 2.84 viewers. (Though interesting NG is down 34% this year while MP only down 17%) Obviously the big difference is that NBC actually owns MP so Fox will make nothing off syndication rights like it will with NG. Fox has much less incentive to keep Mindy on the air unfortunately. Hoping MP still gets a renewal too though!

35. Laurence says:

With the comedy woes at NBC would not be surprised that FOX pass on a 4th season of mindy project only for NBC to pick it up as it is produced by Universal and they do have the incentive to give the show 88 eps to get to syndication

36. Viv says:

Oh yeah, baby! We love us some John Cho! Wheeee!!

37. Erin B says:

I miss the “New Girl” from seasons 1 & 2, but I am very glad it improved this season after what I thought was a bad season 3. I like John Cho so I’m happy to see what he can bring to it. As always with any season, more Winston!